IRC log for #koha, 2020-06-03

All times shown according to UTC.

Time S Nick Message
00:00 kathryn joined #koha
00:11 tosca_ joined #koha
00:15 alexbuckley joined #koha
00:21 inlibro joined #koha
00:23 cait joined #koha
00:46 cait joined #koha
00:48 wizzyrea 25% NO PUSHIES
00:50 slim joined #koha
00:51 slim Hello. I am trying to set up a kohadevbox but seem to be missing something. I am using Git Bash, Vagrant, and Virtualbox in Windows 10. I can spin up a kohadevbox, but it doesn't seem to have Koha or Apache installed. Any thoughts?
01:07 irma_ joined #koha
01:14 tosca_ joined #koha
01:16 toscaw joined #koha
01:21 inlibro joined #koha
01:43 kathryn joined #koha
01:44 kathryn joined #koha
01:47 cait joined #koha
01:57 wizzyrea 90%! No Pushies!
02:17 cait joined #koha
02:21 cait joined #koha
02:22 inlibro joined #koha
02:29 cait joined #koha
02:31 wizzyrea All done! Push at your whim
02:31 wizzyrea final size-pack: 1.03 GiB
02:31 wizzyrea 4.6G -> 1.03G
02:32 cait joined #koha
03:08 cait joined #koha
03:09 wizzycray joined #koha
03:22 inlibro joined #koha
03:31 cait joined #koha
03:35 cait joined #koha
03:44 cait joined #koha
03:46 cait joined #koha
04:00 cait joined #koha
04:03 cait joined #koha
04:10 cait joined #koha
04:19 cait joined #koha
04:21 cait joined #koha
04:22 inlibro joined #koha
04:40 chris joined #koha
05:05 hayley joined #koha
05:22 inlibro joined #koha
05:50 kathryn joined #koha
05:58 did joined #koha
06:06 enkidu joined #koha
06:22 inlibro joined #koha
06:39 alex_a joined #koha
06:40 reiveune joined #koha
06:40 reiveune hello
06:40 wahanui hey, reiveune
06:47 magnuse \o/
06:55 saa joined #koha
06:55 saa is it possible to configure koha with nginx if yes can i get conf configuration
07:02 cait1 joined #koha
07:06 cait joined #koha
07:23 inlibro joined #koha
07:44 paul_p joined #koha
07:54 andreashm joined #koha
08:03 vfernandes joined #koha
08:06 lds joined #koha
08:16 kohaputti joined #koha
08:21 enkidu saa: yes, it is possible.
08:23 inlibro joined #koha
08:23 alex_a_ joined #koha
08:25 andreashm joined #koha
08:26 ashimema anyone fancy reminded me what the magic template syntx for linking bz  bugs on the wiki is?
08:28 kathryn joined #koha
08:29 cait {{BZ|bugnumber}}
08:29 ashimema ah, case sensative
08:29 ashimema ta
08:56 saa enkidu can u tell me how to configure
08:56 saa if u can share conf file
08:58 enkidu saa: what do you want to do exactly? do you want to use more than one server for Koha OPAC or Intranet?
09:00 saa only one
09:00 saa with nginx configuration
09:00 saa avoid apache2
09:01 enkidu saa: https://wiki.koha-community.or[…]pment_Environment
09:01 enkidu There are some info there. You may also search nginx in wiki pages
09:02 saa i checked that
09:03 enkidu It is not good, I think, I will put conf file in wiki today I hope. Please follow from wiki pagesé
09:03 enkidu pages!
09:05 saa pl
09:06 saa i wil check and it will be helpful
09:06 saa thx in advance
09:08 enkidu But I have to find how to write an entry in wiki? After logged in, how can I start a new entry?
09:09 enkidu Does anyone help me?
09:10 enkidu I found it! Thanks
09:12 andreash_ joined #koha
09:12 andreash_ joined #koha
09:13 andreash_ joined #koha
09:13 saa ok
09:14 andreash_ joined #koha
09:15 andreash_ joined #koha
09:15 andreash_ joined #koha
09:16 andreash_ joined #koha
09:17 andreash_ joined #koha
09:18 andreash_ joined #koha
09:19 andreash_ joined #koha
09:19 andreashm joined #koha
09:23 inlibro joined #koha
09:27 alex_a joined #koha
09:28 enkidu saa: https://wiki.koha-community.or[…]with_many_servers may work for you!
09:30 saa thank you for quick help
09:30 saa will try and let u know
09:31 enkidu you are welcome
09:37 irma_ joined #koha
09:53 magnuse enkidu++
09:54 andreashm joined #koha
10:16 eythian hi
10:19 kohaputti joined #koha
10:23 inlibro joined #koha
10:23 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.05_D8 build #229: NOW UNSTABLE in 35 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]oha_19.05_D8/229/
10:29 khall joined #koha
10:32 andreashm joined #koha
10:39 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.05_D9 build #223: NOW UNSTABLE in 50 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]oha_19.05_D9/223/
10:44 oleonard o/
10:49 kohaputti joined #koha
10:55 kivilahtio joined #koha
10:56 lari joined #koha
11:18 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.11_D9 build #156: UNSTABLE in 43 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]oha_19.11_D9/156/
11:19 irma_ joined #koha
11:23 inlibro joined #koha
11:39 andreashm joined #koha
11:41 * oleonard doesn't think the  SelfCheckTimeout preference works...
11:50 lukeG1 joined #koha
12:23 inlibro joined #koha
12:33 Dyrcona joined #koha
13:24 inlibro joined #koha
13:26 andreash_ joined #koha
13:27 andreashm joined #koha
13:38 khall_ joined #koha
13:54 Marie-Luce joined #koha
14:24 inlibro joined #koha
14:25 kohaputti oh, the master version is missing logging of who accessed borrower information, we have that in KohaSuomi fork for GDPR reasons I guess. I couldn't find any bug report for this so I will probably create one myself.
14:35 cait Not aware of one, but sounds sensible
14:36 cait maybe with a new logging pref?
14:40 kohaputti that's how it was implemented in KohaSuomi fork
14:40 kohaputti I will submit tomorrow probably the report, ending work for today.
14:41 Joubu what kind of info?
14:41 Joubu you can access patron's info in lot of different ways
14:41 Joubu like... reports? :)
14:44 kohaputti yes, I know, there is so many places where personal info is accessed from, the patch is huge!
14:45 AndrewFH joined #koha
14:47 Joubu kohaputti: I am wondering something. As we now have all the C4::Members methods moved to Koha::Patrons, maybe you could do something at lower level. Like when you access some attributes from the Koha::Patron object.
14:47 Joubu that would be more robust
14:48 Joubu and smaller patch ;)
14:48 ashimema is there a dev meeting today?
14:48 kohaputti right, getting the user from session and if that users accesses Patron accessor then log
14:49 Joubu ashimema: one for South hemisphere!
14:49 ashimema aha..
14:49 ashimema 9pm uk time I by the looks
14:49 ashimema hmm
14:49 ashimema okies
14:50 ashimema I added a topic to discuss and everything.. I'll try to make it.
14:50 ashimema I feel we should be strongly discouraging mysql5.5 at this point
14:50 ashimema anywho
14:50 ashimema moving on :)
14:54 wizzycray you probably saw this in the backscroll but the gc is done and you can continue your normal pushing activities
14:54 ashimema I totally missed that.. oops
14:54 ashimema :)
14:54 ashimema how did it all go wizzycray?
14:54 wizzycray it seemed like it went fine
14:54 ashimema cool 1.03 GB :)
14:54 ashimema much nicer
14:55 wizzycray 4.6G to 1.03 yea
14:57 Joubu thanks wizzycray. Did you run a git count-objects before and after?
14:57 Joubu git count-objects -vH
14:58 Joubu I don't understand why we have 1.03G when I got 755M 1 month ago
15:00 ashimema I bet git has got better at it and you were running a more recent git Joubu
15:04 reiveune bye
15:04 reiveune left #koha
15:05 wizzycray yep
15:10 Joubu wizzycray: could you comment on the mailing list (on the original topic) to let the world know? :)
15:11 lisettelatah joined #koha
15:11 wizzycray sure
15:13 Joubu I am doing a git gc after a fresh clone. Just to compare. It's super sloooooow
15:16 dingo joined #koha
15:16 dingo left #koha
15:17 dingo joined #koha
15:24 inlibro joined #koha
15:25 tuxayo Joubu: `git gc --prune=now --aggressive` should take a few hours.
15:26 tuxayo Joubu:  cait did that a month ago on an existing repo, you can find the results here to compare:
15:26 tuxayo https://wiki.koha-community.or[…]story_after_clone
15:37 dingo Hi, I understand that you are familiar with setting up kohadevboxes. I have gotten to the point where vagrant is trying to run the ansible-playbook and I get: ERROR! vars file vars/defaults.yml was not found. vars/eefaults.yml was added as part of the clone of the kohadevbox repository though. My host is Windows 10 and I am using VirtualBox, Vagrant, and Git Bash. Thanks for your help!
15:43 dingo joined #koha
15:45 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.11_D9 build #157: STILL UNSTABLE in 1 hr 12 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]oha_19.11_D9/157/
15:46 tuxayo dingo: what do you get if you run `ls vars`
15:47 dingo defaults.yml  user.yml  user.yml.sample
15:49 oleonard dingo: For what it's worth, the last time I tried to get kohadevbox working on windows I had to use this process: http://koha.1045719.n5.nabble.[…]2846p6062951.html
15:49 oleonard I don't know if it's related.
15:49 oleonard I've had better luck with koha-testing-docker these days
15:53 dingo ok thank you
15:54 dingo I'll try koha-testing-docker
16:24 inlibro joined #koha
16:31 wizzycray ok sorry I had a meeting
16:36 cait left #koha
16:39 wizzycray joubu I don't see a particular reason why that would be slow
16:39 wizzycray also yes, the version of git is rather slow there
16:39 wizzycray and old
16:40 wizzycray another task I have is to put that on a modern OS/Git
16:40 wizzycray it's... cantankerous
16:42 oleonard same
16:45 khall joined #koha
16:53 tuxayo wizzycray: «I don't see a particular reason why that would be slow»
16:53 tuxayo Even if the repo was already optimized, maybe `git gc --prune=now --aggressive` has to start over,
16:53 tuxayo that depends of how it works in details.
16:54 wizzycray start over?
16:54 wizzycray it finished?
16:54 wizzycray Joubu was saying that a clone felt slow to him
16:54 wizzycray the gc is done :)
16:56 cait joined #koha
17:02 tuxayo wizzyrea: «start over?» When one runs git gc, maybe it starts over and thus takes hours even on an optimized repo
17:02 tuxayo > it finished?
17:02 tuxayo Yes, I was talking about the process in general, not our case on our git server.
17:04 tuxayo > Joubu was saying that a clone felt slow to him
17:04 tuxayo From what I understand, Joubu did a fresh a clone and ran a `git gc` to find out if they get the same size. What was slow was the `git gc`
17:09 tuxayo Does anyone know if in the automated tests we have a way to change the date? Because I have a test (t/db_dependent/Circulation.t) that failed every time yesterday but not anymore today.
17:09 tuxayo This was confirmed by changing the date of PC ^^"
17:10 khall_ joined #koha
17:12 wizzyrea oh, cool thanks I was just really confused!
17:12 wizzyrea like wot
17:17 khall joined #koha
17:20 margaret joined #koha
17:22 tcohen hi all
17:23 tuxayo o/
17:23 tcohen \o
17:24 wizzyrea hey tcohen o/
17:24 tcohen hi liz
17:24 inlibro joined #koha
17:24 tuxayo Ho, I just noticed that wizzycray is wizzyrea ^^
17:25 wizzyrea oh, I do a bit of both :)
17:25 tuxayo (I had only suspicions until now)
17:25 wizzyrea wizzycray is the one that takes over when IRC goes a bit spazzy
17:26 tuxayo Good to know :)
17:27 lukeG1 A bit of wizzyrea and a bit of wizzycray :)
17:27 wizzyrea :D yes that
17:27 wizzyrea wizzycray after some drinks
17:40 AndrewFH joined #koha
17:46 ashimema tuxayo, If a test fails on a particular date that is a bug
17:46 tcohen wizzyrea[…]a;date=2013-03-26
17:46 ashimema Either in code or in the test..
17:46 tcohen search for 'hug tcohen'
17:46 wahanui joined #koha
17:46 tcohen lest not forget
17:47 ashimema Joubu and I have lots of experience fixing such bugs.. what test failed..
17:47 wizzyrea HAHA
17:47 * oleonard passes out free hugs to all
17:47 wizzyrea it's a cuddlestravaganza
17:47 tcohen haha
17:48 * wizzyrea is 2nd in the queue for handing out free hugs
17:48 * tcohen meant it, you owe me one for rela
17:48 wizzyrea I DO it's true
17:48 ashimema Lololol
17:48 tcohen thank g*d we have logs
17:49 tcohen ashimema I added something to the agenda...
17:49 tcohen because I did an unconsulted thing on jenkins
17:49 tcohen that we need to discuss
17:49 ashimema Joubu's the man now. 🙂
17:49 ashimema Naughty tcohen.. hahaha
17:50 tcohen hehe
17:50 tcohen its a team thing
17:50 tcohen we could say it is the rmaints
17:51 ashimema Hehe
17:51 lukeG1 hey now ;)
17:52 Joubu wizzy* you forgot the list ;)
17:52 wizzyrea did I?!
17:52 wizzyrea blarg
17:52 Joubu yes! :)
17:52 wizzyrea i even found the right message >.<
17:52 tcohen hm?
17:53 wizzyrea there I think I got it
17:53 wizzyrea email is haaaarddddd
17:53 Joubu depends on the number of drinks usually
17:54 wizzyrea clearly I haven't had enough
17:54 wizzyrea of course it was daylight time but whatever.
17:54 * wizzyrea waves hands magically "time is relative"
17:54 tuxayo ashimema: «tuxayo, If a test fails on a particular date that is a bug»
17:54 tuxayo Indeed, hence the creation of Bug 25665, I needed clean way to reproduce.
17:54 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=25665 minor, P5 - low, ---, chris, ASSIGNED , test t/db_dependent/Circulation.t fails on a specific date
17:54 tuxayo Now I learned about Time::Fake so I will try that.
17:55 oleonard Ah, so it's not relative, it's fake
17:55 wizzyrea omg the dog is crying cos not enough patting
17:55 wizzyrea spoilt pooch
17:55 Joubu see you tomorrow #koha
17:55 tcohen Joubu
17:55 * Joubu sends hugs to everybody around
17:55 tcohen a couple more hours so you dont miss the meeting?
17:55 Joubu Tomas!?
17:55 wahanui tomas is probably working on some fixes for kohadevbox
17:56 Joubu I am agreeing with everything, if you guys agree
17:57 tcohen good night Joubu
17:59 tuxayo o/ Joubu
17:59 wizzyrea i have a rule: no su after two :P
18:00 tuxayo «when the cat's away the mice will play»
18:00 lukeG1 oleonard++
18:00 ashimema 😂
18:00 ashimema Good rule wizzyrea
18:01 wizzyrea that and I don't type the proper version of arr emm arr eff slash into any textbox anywhere
18:02 tcohen :-D
18:02 oleonard tuxayo I think the Koha version would be <<when cait's away the bugs will play>> ??
18:02 tcohen oleonard++
18:02 tuxayo Perfect
18:04 * ashimema translates wizzyrea's comment in a terminal.. oh noo.. f....
18:05 oleonard I hope y'all can read and comment on my message to koha-devel about my OPAC Bootstrap 4 work.
18:05 wizzyrea ctrl-c! ctrl-c!
18:06 wizzyrea
18:06 ashimema 😂
18:11 tuxayo oleonard: When was it sent? I find nothing related to bootstrap in my koha-devel directory.
18:11 oleonard Whoops, when I said I sent it to koha-devel I guess I meant I sent it to myself.
18:11 oleonard I'm glad I asked or I would have suffered in silence
18:12 wizzyrea i told you, email is hard
18:12 * oleonard tries again
18:13 tcohen has anyone proposed to use discourse for our lists yet?
18:14 oleonard Not that I can recall.  What would be the advantage?
18:14 tcohen people could interact with it outside their email LOL
18:18 ashimema Has anyone proposed we use X instead of Y yet...
18:19 oleonard ashimema if you mean PHP instead of Perl, yes someone proposed that once...
18:20 tcohen
18:20 tcohen its an interesting FLOSS tool for communicating
18:23 tuxayo It's a great forum software from a user POV.
18:23 wizzyrea it would be nice to make the email lists more accessible for people
18:24 tuxayo The main point is mailing list vs forum.
18:24 tcohen there has to be a bridge between email and discourse
18:24 wizzyrea ^
18:24 wizzyrea ls
18:24 wizzyrea oops
18:24 tuxayo > it would be nice to make the email lists more accessible for people
18:24 tuxayo Is Nabble successful about that?
18:24 tcohen like we can keep interacting with it from our email
18:24 inlibro joined #koha
18:24 * tcohen ducks out
18:26 tuxayo oleonard:
18:26 tuxayo > I'm glad I asked or I would have suffered in silence
18:26 tuxayo Going futher: did it already happen in the past? :o
18:26 tuxayo We might never know.
18:27 tcohen @later tell Joubu I don't like the Koha_19.11_D9 failures
18:27 huginn tcohen: The operation succeeded.
18:30 tuxayo tcohen: Interesting, people at in the Mozilla community had the same interest.
18:30 tuxayo[…]discourse/27938/3
18:30 tcohen the koha-es group has historically been in Yahoo
18:30 tcohen and when I created the mailman one in
18:31 tcohen there was some argument on why not rethink it all
18:31 tcohen as we lost all the historical conversations whne Yahoo made groups private
18:31 tcohen I rushed to create the mailman one
18:31 tcohen but it still itches
18:32 tuxayo :o
18:38 talljoy joined #koha
18:47 tuxayo tcohen: «I don't like the Koha_19.11_D9 failures»
18:47 tuxayo I don't like all the failures on 19.11 and 19.05 :P
18:47 tuxayo It's like a subset of the tests get 400 error codes. (on the commit of the release notes XD) But that only affects 19.05 and 19.11
18:52 magnuse \o/
19:00 tuxayo o/
19:08 tcohen tuxayo many of the failures are about Mojolicious versions and all
19:10 tuxayo Ok! Strange that the tests pass locally. I though using an up to date koha-testing-docker would lead to the same results as the CI
19:10 magnuse joined #koha
19:11 tuxayo (Except flaky tests that depend on precise timing of suboperations)
19:14 tcohen The task named Koha_19.11_D9 is running on a special KTD: it is a koha-common install of 19.11 packages
19:15 tcohen so the dependencies are ONLY those from the 19.11 packages
19:15 tcohen we've bee nrunning the test suite on the stable branches,
19:15 tcohen on environments that are for master
19:15 tcohen (20.05)
19:15 tcohen and that's *wrong*
19:16 tcohen and the fact that many tests dissapeared by using 19.11 dependencies instead of master's
19:16 tcohen is good
19:16 tcohen but the fact there are some unexpected failures
19:16 tcohen is bad
19:16 tcohen how long have the stable branches had that?
19:18 tuxayo > we've bee nrunning the test suite on the stable branches,
19:18 tuxayo > on environments that are for master
19:18 tuxayo Ho I see, thanks for enhancing this :D
19:19 * cait waves
19:19 magnuse anyone else getting "Row size too large" errors when upgrading to 19.11? bug 24986
19:19 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=24986 normal, P5 - low, ---, koha-bugs, NEW , Maximum row size reached soon for borrowers and deletedborrowers
19:20 tuxayo «many tests dissapeared by using 19.11 dependencies» What do you mean tcohen ?
19:20 tuxayo «how long have the stable branches had that?» What are you asking about?
19:25 inlibro joined #koha
19:30 dpk_ joined #koha
19:43 koha-jenkins Project Koha_20.05_D11 build #13: STILL UNSTABLE in 43 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]oha_20.05_D11/13/
19:44 davidnind joined #koha
19:56 ashimema confused
19:56 ashimema both by tcohens jenkins comments
19:56 ashimema though i have a feeling i sort of follow that
19:57 ashimema but also by when the dev meeting is...
19:57 tuxayo 3min I think
19:57 tcohen in three minutes?
19:57 ashimema thought id got my timezones wrong
19:57 ashimema cool
19:57 ashimema whose running it if Joubu isn't here?
19:57 tcohen that's you, ashimema
19:57 tcohen hahaha
19:58 tcohen I can
19:58 * ashimema was hoping to concentrate on contributing rather than stressing about chairing.. haha
19:59 ashimema happy to help honestly
19:59 ashimema just also don't want to get into the habit of just carrying on..
19:59 tcohen if you can chair, please do
20:00 tcohen otherwise, I'll happily do it
20:00 tcohen I'm just tiding some patches I need to submit
20:02 ashimema okies
20:02 * ashimema opens the meeting chairing page
20:02 tcohen is there such a thing?
20:02 tcohen I'm always stressed looking at previous meetings logs when it is my turn LOL
20:03 ashimema #startmeetng Development IRC meeting 3 June 2020
20:03 khall joined #koha
20:03 ashimema #chair tcohen
20:04 ashimema #chair cait
20:04 enkidu ashimema: it didn't work I think. startmeeting ?
20:04 ashimema #chair tuxayo
20:04 ashimema lol
20:04 tuxayo nooo
20:04 cait hey... i was all quiet :)
20:04 tuxayo "meetng"
20:04 tcohen yup, typo
20:04 ashimema #startmeeting Development IRC meeting 3 June 2020
20:04 huginn Meeting started Wed Jun  3 20:04:36 2020 UTC.  The chair is ashimema. Information about MeetBot at
20:04 huginn Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
20:04 Topic for #koha is now  (Meeting topic: Development IRC meeting 3 June 2020)
20:04 huginn The meeting name has been set to 'development_irc_meeting_3_june_2020'
20:04 cait #info Katrin Fischer, BSZ, Germany
20:04 ashimema #chair cait
20:04 huginn Current chairs: ashimema cait
20:04 ashimema #chair tcohen
20:04 huginn Current chairs: ashimema cait tcohen
20:04 ashimema #chair tuxayo
20:04 huginn Current chairs: ashimema cait tcohen tuxayo
20:04 tcohen #info Tomas Cohen Arazi, Theke Solutions
20:04 magnuse #info Magnus Enger, Libriotech, Norway
20:04 enkidu #info Mengü Yazıcıoğlu, Devinim, Turkey
20:05 tuxayo XD
20:05 ashimema #link https://wiki.koha-community.or[…]eting_3_June_2020 Agenda
20:05 ashimema #topic Introductions
20:05 Topic for #koha is now Introductions (Meeting topic: Development IRC meeting 3 June 2020)
20:05 oleonard #info Owen Leonard, Athens County Public Libraries, Ohio, USA
20:05 ashimema Please use #info to introduce yourselves
20:05 davidnind #info David Nind, Wellington, New Zealand
20:05 rangi #info Chris Cormack, Catalyst iT
20:05 * magnuse relizes who enkidu is and waves in his direction
20:05 ashimema #info Martin Renvoize, PTFS-Europe, UK
20:05 tuxayo #info tuxayo/Victor Grousset, France
20:05 wizzyrea #info Liz Rea
20:05 ashimema ooh.. hi enkidu, nice to see you here :)
20:06 enkidu magnuse :)
20:06 enkidu Hi all
20:06 tuxayo-read-only joined #koha
20:06 tcohen hi enkidu
20:06 * magnuse watches nz crimes on television - "brokenwood mysteries" or something like that
20:07 ashimema #topic Announcements
20:07 Topic for #koha is now Announcements (Meeting topic: Development IRC meeting 3 June 2020)
20:07 tcohen I have an announcement on behalf of Joubu
20:07 ashimema #info The 20.05 release happened, just in time to get into May.. delays were caused by some hurdles to get over with packaging.
20:08 lisettelatah joined #koha
20:08 tuxayo (announcement about the IPA stocks?)
20:08 ashimema #info Packages should be available very soon, transfering them from the staging repository to live is in progress.
20:08 cait mtj++ :)
20:08 tcohen mtj++
20:08 enkidu Oh no, Joubu without a beer ?
20:09 tuxayo mtj++
20:09 magnuse mtj++
20:09 ashimema anyone else got any announcements..
20:09 tcohen yes
20:09 enkidu mtj++
20:09 cait enkidu: just rumours
20:09 ashimema mtj++
20:09 enkidu cait: Oh nice ! I miss the Kohacon days.
20:09 tcohen We forked koha-gitify into the community Gitlan
20:09 tcohen Gitlab
20:10 khall joined #koha
20:10 ashimema :)
20:10 tcohen and KTD now points there
20:10 ashimema #info koha-gitify has been forked into the koha-community gitlab organisation
20:10 tuxayo tcohen: it was another in koha's git server before?
20:10 tcohen community++
20:10 tcohen it was in a personal github repo
20:11 tuxayo *was it in koha's git server
20:11 tuxayo ok
20:11 ashimema #info koha-testing-docker now utilises the community maintained version hosted on gitlab
20:11 tcohen it was the only stack piece we didn't, as community, control
20:11 tuxayo Nice!
20:11 ashimema it was on githbub if i recall correctly tuxayo
20:11 khall joined #koha
20:11 tuxayo anyone else got any announcements, or rumours?
20:11 ashimema not sure how well maintained if has been.. I vaguely recollect the original maintainers have moved on to other pastures?
20:12 tcohen ashimema that's correct, but have to say anytime we needed anything, our PR were always accepted promptly
20:12 ashimema good to know
20:13 tcohen chris hall?
20:13 tcohen
20:13 ashimema #info Many thanks should be passed to the original maintainers of koha-gitify and their diligent eforts keeping it up to date when pull requests were submitted :)
20:13 rangi yeah he works for google now
20:13 ashimema nice
20:14 cait chris_hall++ :)
20:14 tcohen chris_hall++
20:14 enkidu chris_hall++
20:14 tuxayo chris_hall++
20:14 tuxayo & ++ to other maints
20:15 cait as someoen who started out with a classic git installation... things are so much better these days i can tell you :)
20:15 tcohen community++
20:15 oleonard Definitely
20:16 wizzyrea gitify was a fantastic evolution
20:16 tcohen it was the trampolin
20:16 cait :)
20:16 tcohen filling the gap between deb installs and our dev environments
20:16 tcohen then kohadevbox, then KTD
20:16 tcohen all relying on koha-gitify
20:17 * ashimema actually still uses a classic git install allot for dev
20:17 magnuse chris_hall++
20:17 ashimema but also leans on k-t-d
20:17 wizzyrea (same person, not to get off track, also facilitated the change from the old templating system to template toolkit)
20:17 * magnuse needs to get into ktd
20:17 cait I'll wait with ktd until tomas can show me in person again ;)
20:18 tcohen I'll buy the tickets as soon as they allow me to, cait
20:18 magnuse ooh, good plan, cait
20:18 cait :)
20:18 wizzyrea ktd has really improved
20:18 wizzyrea docker itself, has really improved.
20:18 ashimema right.. shall we move on
20:18 tcohen speaking of which
20:18 tcohen exaclty
20:18 ashimema #topic Update from the Release manager
20:18 Topic for #koha is now Update from the Release manager (Meeting topic: Development IRC meeting 3 June 2020)
20:19 ashimema er.. RM is MIA ;)
20:19 tcohen #info Joubu brewed 20L of IPA, don't count on him for the rest of the week
20:19 wizzyrea he said he agreed with whatever you decided
20:19 tuxayo Yes, we can do whatever we want! :D
20:19 ashimema #info Jonthan is missing this evening, but expressed he has great trust in the team around him
20:20 ashimema lol
20:20 tcohen LOL
20:20 tcohen I like british formality
20:20 ashimema hehe
20:20 cait hm we could discuss the koha release naming again :P
20:20 enkidu :)
20:20 ashimema I like minutes to look half professional
20:20 tcohen montypython++
20:21 ashimema I as very dissapointed to see the first commit this cycle
20:21 ashimema sooo boring
20:21 ashimema #topic Updates from the Release Maintainers
20:21 Topic for #koha is now Updates from the Release Maintainers (Meeting topic: Development IRC meeting 3 June 2020)
20:21 ashimema rmaints?
20:21 wahanui rmaints is talljoy, lukeG, hayley
20:22 tuxayo Not anymore!
20:22 ashimema no, rmaints is lukeG, aleisha, tuxayo
20:22 tuxayo > the first commit this cycle
20:22 tuxayo The one who says «All our codebase are belong to everybody» ?
20:22 * oleonard liked that one
20:22 ashimema rmaints is lukeG, aleisha and tuxayo
20:22 * tuxayo too
20:23 magnuse rmaints?
20:23 wahanui rmaints is talljoy, lukeG, hayley
20:23 wizzyrea forget rmaints
20:23 wahanui wizzyrea: I forgot rmaints
20:23 wizzyrea rmaints is <reply> lukeG, aleisha, and tuxayo
20:23 wizzyrea rmaints?
20:23 wahanui lukeG, aleisha, and tuxayo
20:23 magnuse yay!
20:23 enkidu wizzyrea++
20:24 ashimema hmm.. maybe i missed a commit
20:24 ashimema I only see
20:24 oleonard No, make it say "lukeG, aleisha, and tuxayo, I SUMMON THEE!!"
20:24 ashimema `Koha 20.06 - start of a new dev cycle`
20:24 wizzyrea forget rmaints
20:24 wahanui wizzyrea: I forgot rmaints
20:24 ashimema lol
20:24 tuxayo #info tuxayo (for 19.05) is learning the RMaint workflow and how to interpret CI results
20:24 magnuse +    NewVersion( $DBversion, undef, 'All our codebase are belong to everybody' );
20:24 wizzyrea rmaints is <reply> lukeG, aleisha, and tuxayo, I SUMMON THEE!!
20:25 ashimema haha
20:25 tcohen tuxayo we'll talk about it shortly
20:25 ashimema ah.. nice
20:25 ashimema :)
20:25 inlibro joined #koha
20:25 ashimema #info rmaints are all setup and ready to go.. handover complete :)
20:26 * magnuse needs to catch some sleep, even if the sun is high in the sky - have fun #koha!
20:26 ashimema doubt there's much more to say
20:26 tcohen enjoy magnuse
20:26 enkidu bye magnuse
20:26 ashimema #topic Updates from the QA team
20:26 Topic for #koha is now Updates from the QA team (Meeting topic: Development IRC meeting 3 June 2020)
20:26 ashimema cait
20:26 tuxayo found one test bug, also moved 1 step in the RMaint queue :D
20:26 ashimema :)
20:27 ashimema well done tuxayo
20:27 cait oops
20:27 tcohen I'm worried about 24986
20:27 cait Joubu said when asked: QA ALL  THE THINGS!
20:28 * ashimema is getting temped by his bed..
20:28 cait I'd like to forward this message of our RM
20:28 ashimema :)
20:28 cait otherwise, we are stlil focusing on bugs right now
20:28 ashimema #info QA ALL THE THINGS :)
20:28 cait I was told tests had to be fixed... but I am not up to date if they have been already
20:28 cait it's been a little busy, will try to catch up soon
20:29 cait i still see a lot of yellow so i guess.. FIX ALL THE TESTS! is stlil on as well
20:29 cait thx
20:29 tcohen understood
20:29 ashimema #info bugs are priority for the first month, but there's also a few 20_11_target bugs in the queue I believe which didn't make it end of last cycle and would be nice to do early this cycle.
20:29 ashimema #info We need to get the test suits passing again...
20:29 cait we've also discussed makeing the items, biblio, biblioitems merge soon
20:30 tuxayo > We need to get the test suits passing again...
20:30 tuxayo At least they pass locally
20:30 cait as this blocks progress in functionality like showing info about deleted items and such in variou splaces
20:30 ashimema indeed.. I think that's badged up.. if it isn't already we should do so
20:30 cait cancelled records in acq
20:30 tuxayo It's not that centralized even if it's harder without CI
20:30 tcohen I'm working on jenkings
20:30 tcohen jenkins
20:30 tcohen wanted to talk about it next
20:31 ashimema #topic General development discussion (trends, ideas, ...)
20:31 Topic for #koha is now General development discussion (trends, ideas, ...) (Meeting topic: Development IRC meeting 3 June 2020)
20:31 ashimema all your tochen :)
20:31 ashimema #info Test suite, proper environment to test stable branches
20:31 ashimema lets do your first tcohen.. I think it's more important
20:31 tcohen The last couple weeks, we've been fighting packaging, and the OSs we support
20:32 tcohen some problematic libraries involve the API (i.e. Mojolicious, OpenAPI, YAML, etc)
20:32 tcohen making things work on all the supported Debian/Ubuntu versions
20:32 tcohen has been a pain
20:32 tcohen mtj++
20:32 tuxayo (CI for tests is like an addiction, we see the signs of lack of it quickly ^^)
20:32 ashimema mtj++
20:33 tcohen There are nasty problems with DBD::mysql (regressions)
20:33 tuxayo mtj++
20:33 tuxayo tcohen++
20:33 tuxayo The new matrix of test envs is great!
20:33 ashimema So.. is the jenkins change that we're now avoiding cpan for installing any deps
20:33 tcohen that cause some tests to fail. I consider those failures minor, as they are mostly problems with representation of floats
20:34 ashimema i.e. relying more strictly on the koha-common package pulling in all the right things?
20:34 tcohen BUT
20:34 tcohen rigt
20:34 tcohen this morning I branched KTD for 19.11
20:34 tcohen and cleaned all the things it installs
20:34 tuxayo > the jenkins change
20:34 tuxayo Only in Jenkins or in koha-testing-docker in general?
20:34 ashimema excellent
20:34 wahanui darn tootin' it is.
20:34 tcohen it will now *only* install koha-common and dependencies
20:34 tcohen and just a few cpan things required for tests
20:34 tcohen this way we can be sure about things
20:35 tcohen Joubu considered we should discuss this somehow as it is an overhead
20:35 tcohen I belive it is fairly 'light'
20:35 tcohen specially if we finish building the .deb building pipeline
20:35 ashimema i must admit I still find the control file syntax weird.. surely test-depends should be what it sounds like
20:35 tcohen and all gets automated
20:35 ashimema but that's a topic for another day..
20:36 tcohen right
20:36 ashimema I agree the .deb building pipeline is key to this.. and has been the missing element for the whole 12 months of my time as RM
20:36 ashimema well..
20:36 tcohen So, my plan is to make all the stable branches tests
20:37 tcohen run on version-spcific KTD
20:37 tuxayo great!
20:37 enkidu tcohen++
20:37 tcohen so 19.11 will be run against koha/koha-testing:19.11-stretch
20:37 ashimema the full pipeline has always been missing.. but during my tenure with the loss of mirko we lost an important part of it which was working
20:37 tcohen and I'd say rmaints should do their job probably on that images as well
20:37 ashimema tcohen++
20:38 ashimema what do you mean by rmaints do their job properly on those images?
20:38 tcohen once the packages for 20.05 arrive I'll branch KTD for that as well
20:38 tuxayo > and I'd say rmaints should do their job probably on that images as well
20:38 tuxayo Good, that's how I understood it.
20:38 ashimema watch the debian.control bugs and ensure they test and push patches that land there
20:38 tcohen rmaints: ask me whatever you need about jenkins or the pipelines we are setting
20:38 tcohen and ask me the changes you want
20:38 tcohen (for example, if you want to test on another OS)
20:39 tuxayo > (for example, if you want to test on another OS)
20:39 tuxayo are there missing OSes that we support?
20:39 enkidu another OS? Do we have so much people to work on?
20:40 tuxayo Or maybe you mean like OS+the DBMS
20:40 * ashimema thinks we're now well covered for combinations really
20:41 tcohen I'm talking about debianderivative like Ubuntu
20:41 tcohen or newer Debian
20:41 tcohen but if you want to set another OS
20:41 tcohen I could guide or help if needed
20:41 ashimema we could in theory test a few more combinations.. but I'm not entirely sure we need to
20:41 ashimema having said that.. we do know the DBD versions can make a difference.. so perhaps we should be.
20:42 tcohen we should
20:42 tuxayo I was thinking the stable branches might need MariaDB testing.
20:42 tuxayo But maybe the angle should be: should MySQL remain the default DBMS?
20:42 tuxayo > we do know the DBD versions can make a difference
20:42 tuxayo What do you mean?
20:42 tcohen
20:42 * ashimema opened a bug asking for DB versions in HEA to help asses this
20:42 ashimema it got mostly shot down
20:43 rangi i think if it was just major version number
20:43 rangi thats ok
20:43 magnuse joined #koha
20:43 rangi 5.5 not 5.5.10~dsfg etc
20:43 tcohen I found a bug on DBD::mysql, that got fixed in v4.042
20:43 tuxayo I wanted to try to move this bug forward. It didn't seemed blocked.
20:43 tuxayo (bug about HEA & DBMS)
20:43 khall joined #koha
20:44 tcohen and people find the fix got reverted in a few newer versions
20:44 tcohen (Buster's, for example)
20:44 ashimema lets ove it forward tuxayo.. I have more time for things like that now
20:44 ashimema only so many battles I could fight as RM
20:45 ashimema sounds sane to me rangi.. and all we really need I think
20:45 rangi yep
20:45 alexbuckley joined #koha
20:45 ashimema ooh.. rangi.. did you see I added a followup pull request on dashboard..
20:45 tuxayo > 5.5 not 5.5.10~dsfg etc
20:45 tuxayo That was the next step for me. Try to find a reliable way to parse at least MySQL and MariaDB version strings.
20:45 rangi ashimema: yep merged and deployed
20:46 ashimema awesome, thanks
20:46 ashimema apologies for messing up :(
20:47 rangi no worries
20:47 tcohen #info rmaints contact tcohen about jenkins and environments their branches should be tested against
20:48 * ashimema is really happy to see Jenkins growing so much... it really improved last couple of cycle and the trend is only getting better :)
20:49 ashimema shall we move on tcohen?
20:49 tcohen yes
20:49 ashimema #info Can we/Should we deprecate MySQL 5.5 support?
20:49 tcohen yes please
20:49 tcohen haha
20:50 ashimema we have a few challenges to overcome if we want to continue to support it
20:50 tcohen dcook could argue if he has some old RHEL
20:50 ashimema bug 10517 for instance
20:50 tuxayo Which OS has it by default?
20:50 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10517 normal, P5 - low, ---, rudolfbyker, Needs Signoff , koha-restore fails to create mysqluser@mysql_hostname so zebra update fails
20:50 ashimema but I'm sure there are some others
20:50 ashimema D8 did, D9 does if you upgraded from D8 I believe
20:51 enkidu do we have some statistics about OS and DB versions around the world?
20:51 tuxayo Is D8 deprecated? For 20.11
20:51 ashimema I found some case where you could certainly end up with it on D9 without really trying to.. when upset me.
20:51 tcohen it is EOL
20:51 ashimema D8 is deprecated already
20:52 ashimema crap.. I forgot to add specific mention of that in the release notes
20:52 ashimema 20.05 supports it, but not deliberately..
20:52 tcohen
20:52 tcohen it seems stretch is EOL soon LOL
20:52 tcohen everybody should switch to Ubuntu 20.04 hahaha
20:53 ashimema the idea is to formally drop D8 support ith 20.05.00, 19.05.12, 18.11.06 (i.e. the set of releases that just happened)
20:53 ashimema but.. we could do it with the next set of point releases.. which will actually correspond to when D8 is officially dropped by Debian themselves
20:53 tuxayo > I found some case where you could certainly end up with it on D9 without really trying to
20:53 tuxayo Sound reasonable to ask for a migration to MariaDB or a latter MySQL version.
20:54 tcohen what is the mysql 5.5 correspondent mariadb version?
20:54 ashimema 5.5 I think
20:55 enkidu 5.5, Mysql5.6 is MariaDB 10.0 I remember
20:55 wizzyrea ^ that's right
20:55 tcohen stretch ships 10.1
20:55 ashimema personally.. I think we should bump to minimum of MariaDB 10.1
20:56 ashimema that's the default if you install from fresh in D9..
20:56 wizzyrea it is
20:56 tcohen and MySQL 5.7
20:56 ashimema pretty sure you only get mysql5.5 if you upgraded from D8 or explicitly ask for MySQL instead of MariaDB
20:56 ashimema indeed
20:57 aleisha joined #koha
20:57 tcohen lets vote for deprecation
20:57 tuxayo Is MariaDB 10.1 == MySQL 5.7 ?
20:57 tuxayo Are there know limitations that the MySQL side would cause?
20:57 ashimema ++
20:57 enkidu 5.7 -> 10.2
20:57 tuxayo great!
20:58 tuxayo Anyone has an info or argument before voting?
20:59 ashimema these days you have to jump through some hoops to install MySQL if you really want it.. all distros I've worked with of late use MariaDB even if you install the mysql-server package it's just a symlink
21:00 tuxayo Thanks, I had this impression also
21:00 ashimema #startvote Should we officially deprecate MySQL5.5 support (upping minimum SQL versions to MariaDB 10.1/MySQL 5.7? Yes, No, Abstain
21:00 huginn Begin voting on: Should we officially deprecate MySQL5.5 support (upping minimum SQL versions to MariaDB 10.1/MySQL 5.7? Valid vote options are Yes, No, Abstain.
21:00 huginn Vote using '#vote OPTION'. Only your last vote counts.
21:01 tcohen #vote Yes
21:01 enkidu #vote Yes
21:01 ashimema #vote Yes
21:01 tuxayo #vote yes
21:01 tuxayo For with Koha version BTW?
21:01 tuxayo *Which
21:02 davidnind #vote Yes
21:02 wizzyrea #vote Yes
21:02 tcohen onwards
21:02 tcohen 20.11
21:02 tuxayo Like for Debian ("retroactive drop") or less strict
21:02 tuxayo Thanks tcohen
21:03 ashimema I would say probably retroactive (to keep your tasks as rmaints simple)
21:03 ashimema people should really be upgrading debian at this point and as part of that expecting/requirement them to upgrade mysql doesn't seem terrible to me..
21:03 matts joined #koha
21:03 tcohen We are not taking advantage of Joubu's absense laissez-faire message
21:04 AnnaBoten joined #koha
21:04 ashimema but.. Im happy to be overruled on that one.. i's not a process I've had to do much of..
21:04 wizzyrea jessie goes out of support Very Soon Now
21:04 ashimema we could do with a sysops view on that
21:04 tuxayo > as part of that expecting/requirement them to upgrade mysql doesn't seem terrible to me..
21:04 tuxayo ++
21:04 ashimema any more for any more..
21:04 ashimema 3
21:04 ashimema 2
21:04 ashimema 1
21:04 tcohen deprecating Debian 8
21:04 ashimema .
21:04 tcohen implies somehow
21:04 ashimema #endvote
21:04 huginn Voted on "Should we officially deprecate MySQL5.5 support (upping minimum SQL versions to MariaDB 10.1/MySQL 5.7?" Results are
21:04 huginn Yes (6): davidnind, wizzyrea, ashimema, tuxayo, tcohen, enkidu
21:05 ashimema excellent
21:05 wahanui darn tootin' it is.
21:05 ashimema any more general topics chaps?
21:05 ashimema or shall we move on
21:05 tuxayo Where should/are these things (Debian, DBMS support) documented?
21:06 tuxayo > any more general topics chaps?
21:06 tuxayo Can we have MariaDB by default in dev&test environment then?
21:06 ashimema wiki pages somewhere.. the website on the install details page and in every release note
21:06 tcohen #info Joubu volunteers to announce MySQL 5.5 deprecation
21:06 ashimema perhaps the coding guidelines too
21:06 ashimema nice touch tochen
21:06 ashimema tcohen.. even
21:07 tuxayo > Joubu volunteers
21:07 tuxayo he he
21:07 davidnind I will update the section in the manual
21:07 ashimema thanks davidnind
21:07 tcohen Joubu is quietly preparing to FQA my patches, for sure
21:07 ashimema #action davidnind will update the manual with new minimum requirements updates
21:07 ashimema #topic Review of coding guidelines
21:07 Topic for #koha is now Review of coding guidelines (Meeting topic: Development IRC meeting 3 June 2020)
21:08 ashimema i don't believe there's anything to review
21:08 ashimema so...
21:08 tcohen right
21:08 ashimema #topic      Set time of next meeting
21:08 Topic for #koha is now Set time of next meeting (Meeting topic: Development IRC meeting 3 June 2020)
21:08 tcohen should we file a bug for KTD to default to other DB version then?
21:08 tuxayo davidnind: great, there is a section in the manual :D
21:08 tcohen nevermind
21:08 tuxayo > should we file a bug for KTD to default to other DB version then?
21:08 tuxayo Ok, I can do that
21:09 ashimema deffo tcohen
21:09 tcohen I'd say each OS it's shipped version
21:09 tcohen and MySQL 8
21:09 * ashimema is bowing out.. brain is fading fast now
21:09 tcohen as we do already
21:09 tcohen go to bed!
21:09 ashimema agreed tcohen
21:09 tuxayo > I'd say each OS it's shipped version
21:09 tuxayo Yes, I was thinking about that.
21:11 tuxayo > and MySQL 8
21:11 tuxayo So every matching MariaDB by default + an optional way to have MySQL 8 to offer a cutting edge option.
21:11 tcohen right
21:11 tcohen ashimema
21:11 wahanui it has been said that ashimema is literally just writing up the release anouncement ;)
21:11 tuxayo Like with ES 7
21:11 tuxayo Good
21:11 tcohen yup
21:11 tcohen time for next meeting
21:12 tuxayo June 17th?
21:12 ashimema general meeting is on 17th too
21:13 ashimema how did we end up conflicting again
21:13 ashimema mwah
21:13 ashimema it's a 3pm.. we could do 2 and force ourselves to finish on time
21:13 ashimema or follow the general meeting
21:13 ashimema or change day
21:13 wahanui ashimema: that doesn't look right
21:13 wahanui joined #koha
21:14 tuxayo > how did we end up conflicting again
21:14 tuxayo Months are a bit more than 4.0 weeks
21:14 ashimema indeed
21:14 tcohen same day, another time?
21:15 tuxayo Do people usually manage to have 2 meeting in the same day?
21:15 tuxayo without having trouble fitting them with the rest.
21:16 tcohen 3 or 4
21:16 tcohen I'd say same day another time
21:16 tcohen and make them fit
21:17 tuxayo ok, so one hour before the general meeting?
21:19 ashimema 13 or 15 UTC.. which is 14 or 16 UK, 10 or 12 BA,
21:19 ashimema 13 works for me..
21:19 kathryn joined #koha
21:20 ashimema I think that fit more timezones (except Wellington.. sorry rangi, davidnind)
21:21 ashimema #info Next meeting: 17 June 2020, 13 UTC
21:21 ashimema #endmeeting
21:21 Topic for #koha is now Welcome to #koha this channel is for discussion of the Koha project and software
21:21 huginn Meeting ended Wed Jun  3 21:21:18 2020 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at . (v 0.1.4)
21:21 huginn Minutes:        http://meetings.koha-community[…]-06-03-20.04.html
21:21 huginn Minutes (text): http://meetings.koha-community[…]0-06-03-20.04.txt
21:21 huginn Log:            http://meetings.koha-community[…]03-20.04.log.html
21:21 ashimema nighty night chaps
21:21 ashimema thanks for coming :)
21:21 tuxayo o/
21:22 davidnind no problems!
21:22 davidnind ashimema++
21:22 tcohen night ashimema
21:22 tcohen ashimema++
21:25 tuxayo davidnind: Which is the part of the manual that should have the system requirements for running Koha?
21:25 inlibro joined #koha
21:32 davidnind It isn't currently, I think I was supposed to add!
21:34 cait i think we also have something on the website - I can help updating that if needed
21:35 davidnind it is in the Debian package install instructions
21:38 tuxayo Should we have a canonical place and the others point to it?
21:39 wizzyrea a thing I'd really like to do is a community question2answer
21:39 wizzyrea i probably have capacity for that on the community webserver I run
21:39 wizzyrea it's like stack overflow but without all of the nonsense associated with actual stack overflow
21:40 wizzyrea there is a place on the website for requirements
21:40 davidnind left #koha
21:40 wizzyrea it's on the download page
21:40 wizzyrea and I think in the readme that's shipped with Koha
21:42 tuxayo > a thing I'd really like to do is a community question2answer
21:42 tuxayo That sound's great for part of what is done in the mailing lists.
21:42 tuxayo Wouldn't the manual or wiki or website work better to present system requierements?
21:42 wizzyrea i wasn't suggesting that it replace that
21:42 tuxayo Only a part I meant
21:43 tuxayo (part of the ML traffic)
21:43 wizzyrea sorry that was kind of a non-sequitur
21:43 wizzyrea mine, not yours :)
21:43 wizzyrea anyway, there's a place on the website for requirements
21:43 wizzyrea it's the download pae
21:44 wizzyrea it's the download page*
21:44 tuxayo ?
21:44 tuxayo[…]_sequitur_(logic)
21:44 wizzyrea
21:44 tcohen rmaints?
21:44 wahanui lukeG, aleisha, and tuxayo, I SUMMON THEE!!
21:44 wizzyrea "my statement didn't logically follow yours, it's more of an aside"
21:44 tuxayo XD
21:45 tcohen aleisha around?
21:45 wizzyrea[…]n_everyday_speech
21:46 wizzyrea my statement about q2a was unrelated to yours about a place to put the requirements
21:46 tuxayo oh I get it!
21:47 lukeG1 I am here now, sorry
21:48 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.11_D10 build #11: FAILURE in 7 min 16 sec: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]oha_19.11_D10/11/
21:52 tcohen ^^ see? 19.11 tests passed on D10 only because we cheated on the Mojolicious version
21:57 tcohen ok 32 tabs on the browser is too much
21:57 aleisha hi im here!
21:58 aleisha sorry
21:58 tcohen hola aleisha
21:58 tcohen :-D
21:58 aleisha kia ora!
21:58 tcohen kia ora!
21:58 tuxayo The invocation worked, all 3 are here! :D
21:58 tcohen lukeG1
21:58 tcohen as mentioned on the dev meeting
21:58 tosca joined #koha
21:58 tcohen we've been using KTD in jenkins to run all the tests
21:59 wizzyrea ah hey tosca
21:59 tcohen BUT with a caveat: we've been using the same KTD we use for development
21:59 tcohen which is basically the 'master' branch of KTD
21:59 tcohen it is osually ok-ish
21:59 tcohen but
21:59 tcohen dependencies can trick us
22:00 tuxayo aleisha, lukeG1 I think it's due to oleonard that now they have this magic thing to summon us.
22:00 tcohen I've branched KTD so it only installs koha-common
22:00 tcohen for the stable releases
22:00 wizzyrea no, that was me :P
22:00 tcohen so, in jenkins, tests are now run in a production-ish environment, more realistic
22:00 tuxayo > dependencies can trick us
22:00 tuxayo On the other hand, dependencies will be less able to trick us in production :D
22:00 wizzyrea i mean, the I SUMMON THEE were his words, but I taught it to do that :)
22:01 tcohen right
22:01 tcohen so, if you are using KTD for rmaint tasks
22:01 tcohen beware to export KOHA_IMAGE=20.05
22:01 tcohen instead of the default 'master'
22:01 tcohen you can run whatever you want of course
22:02 tcohen but if you want a more realistic environment
22:02 tcohen as now jenkins runs
22:02 lukeG1 OK, thanks tcohen!
22:02 tcohen check the version-specific docker image
22:02 tcohen you will see new rude failures
22:02 tcohen that's because we were cheating before
22:02 tuxayo ^^
22:03 tcohen https://jenkins.koha-community[…]b/Koha_19.11_D10/
22:03 tcohen or it might be a packaging issue
22:03 tcohen hidden by the fact we ran things on a different environment
22:03 tcohen for packaging issues, call mtj
22:03 tcohen *summon*
22:04 aleisha thanks tcohen !
22:04 tuxayo > KOHA_IMAGE=20.05
22:04 tuxayo This is great, thanks! So it would be like KOHA_IMAGE=master-stretch, with the rest of the deps matching right?
22:04 tcohen ho
22:04 tcohen I said 20.05
22:04 tcohen but you can add -stretch, -bionic, -focal, etc
22:05 tuxayo ok so it's two parts.
22:05 tcohen in all cases
22:05 tcohen if you don't add -OS
22:05 tcohen it means stretch
22:05 tcohen[…]pelines/152609562
22:05 tcohen there you see it is building the images for 19.05
22:06 tuxayo So the two parts is how you do the matrix of OS+Koha deps IIUC
22:06 tcohen yeah
22:06 tcohen you will notice there are more names on that list than tasks in jenkins
22:06 tcohen that's because maybe some OS is not set to be tested against on jenkins
22:07 tcohen but I built the image anyways (it is free he)
22:07 tcohen so, if you want to test in more combinations (OS, DB version, etc)
22:07 tcohen just ping me and I'll teach you, or do it for you
22:07 tcohen ashimema and Joubu can do it as well
22:08 tcohen the master and 20.05 tasks in Jenkins cover lots of use cases
22:08 tuxayo > you will notice there are more names on that list than tasks in jenkins
22:08 tuxayo really? they all seem there
22:08 lukeG1 tcohen++
22:08 tcohen 19.05 is tested in less OS, 19.11 is not tested against a variety of DB versions
22:08 tcohen I'm not saying they should, justmentioning that if you consider that as required, I'm here to serve
22:09 tcohen And my internet interrupted my favourite song from this record
22:09 tuxayo :o
22:10 * tcohen bought an external DVD to rip all his CDs
22:14 tuxayo > so, if you want to test in more combinations (OS, DB version, etc)
22:14 tuxayo It seems everything is possible from the starting command line now :D
22:14 tuxayo - OS from the KOHA_IMAGE variable
22:14 tuxayo - Koha perl deps for each supported Koha version (is perl deps the right term for that part?) Also from the KOHA_IMAGE variable
22:14 tuxayo - DBMS: for example `-f docker-compose.mysql8.0.yml`
22:14 tuxayo - ES: same idea as DB
22:15 tuxayo tcohen++
22:17 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.11_D8 build #159: SUCCESS in 36 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]oha_19.11_D8/159/
22:18 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.05_U18 build #226: FAILURE in 1 min 4 sec: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]ha_19.05_U18/226/
22:19 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.05_D9 build #224: FAILURE in 1 min 2 sec: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]oha_19.05_D9/224/
22:20 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.05_D8 build #230: FAILURE in 1 min 5 sec: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]oha_19.05_D8/230/
22:25 inlibro joined #koha
22:30 tuxayo tcohen: All those new things are a lot of work for the 3 runners. I hope they will keep up.
22:30 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.11_U18 build #158: STILL UNSTABLE in 42 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]ha_19.11_U18/158/
22:30 tcohen I'm working on making them run more things in paralell
22:30 tcohen but yeah
22:30 tcohen we need more runneres
22:31 tcohen we need two VPS
22:31 tcohen ES is the problem, as is needs some RAM
22:31 tcohen so 4GB is what we need
22:36 tuxayo tcohen: should a 6 GiB RAM VPS should be able to run two tests suites in parallel? I don't know if only one machine would facilitate the maintenance.
22:38 tcohen yup
22:38 tcohen that'd be great
22:47 tcohen we only need root SSH access
22:47 tcohen to set things
22:47 tcohen install docker, plant the SSH keys for jenkins, etc
22:48 tuxayo tcohen: 3GiB of RAM shouldn't be enough. compared to before starting KTD and running UI tests, I'm getting 2.9 additional RAM usage.
22:49 tuxayo On a real scenario, one would have to add some RAM for the CI software and the host OS.
22:51 tcohen true
22:51 tcohen gotta run
22:51 tcohen well, eat
22:51 tcohen prepare dinner
22:51 tuxayo o/
22:51 tcohen he
22:51 tcohen bye \o
22:52 AndrewFH joined #koha
22:58 koha-jenkins Yippee, build fixed!
22:58 wahanui Congratulations!
22:58 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.11_D9 build #158: FIXED in 1 hr 16 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]oha_19.11_D9/158/
23:25 dcook @later tell tcohen At this point, I have Koha running on Debian, Ubuntu, OpenSuse, and RHEL heh. But I think requiring OS and DB upgrades is fair when it comes to servers. From what I've seen, it seems like the servers with MariaDB 10.0 are EOL, and in desperate need of upgrades anyway. I'll keep harassing their sysadmins...
23:25 huginn dcook: The operation succeeded.
23:25 inlibro joined #koha
23:36 tuxayo dcook: I guess if servers are in desperate need of upgrades, that's also the case for Koha. So dropping MariaDB 10.0 or MySQL 5.5 shouldn't be an issue right?
23:37 dcook tuxayo: Pretty much.
23:37 dcook While I've often had to support old versions of IE, that's a client-side issue. When it comes to the server-side, I don't think we should help people to hang on to EOL software.
23:37 dcook Dropping support helps build a case for doing upgrades
23:37 dcook And upgrades are good heh
23:41 tuxayo It's great that you have experience in such diverse cases. That can compensate part of our lack of statistics ^^"
23:43 tuxayo > I don't think we should help people to hang on to EOL software.
23:43 tuxayo That also take resources that could be used to have strong support for things like OpenSuse, RHEL/CentOS, Elasticsearch 7 and becoming for DB agnostic.
23:44 tuxayo dcook: is there much to do install Koha on OpenSuse or RHEL? Compared to Debian or Ubuntu.
23:45 dcook Mmm yes and no
23:45 dcook Actually yes yes yes
23:45 dcook lol
23:45 tuxayo Have you heard about someone using another DBMS than MariaDB or MySQL?
23:45 dcook Not lately
23:45 dcook It would be impossible with Koha these days I think without massive customization
23:46 dcook Honestly, we're starting to switch away from OpenSuse towards Ubuntu.
23:46 dcook The Koha Debian tools are too useful not to. Plus, issues with dependency versions can be quite annoying.
23:47 dcook Better to have something that is tried and true with the community.
23:47 dcook RHEL... will probably have to keep doing that for certain environments
23:47 dcook That being said, it wouldn't necessarily be that hard to support other OSes
23:47 dcook Building RPM packages is super easy
23:47 tuxayo > Actually yes yes yes
23:47 tuxayo Is that about the perl deps or something else?
23:47 dcook I'd say way easier than Debian packages
23:47 dcook Mostly the perl deps
23:48 dcook Apache, MySQL, and Zebra aren't too bad to install
23:48 dcook Although you have to write your own Zebra service
23:48 tuxayo noob question: Isn't it possible to "just get everything from CPAN"
23:48 dcook It is and the introduction of the cpanfile makes that much easier
23:49 dcook Historically, the dependencies were stored in debian/control and C4/Installer/ or something
23:49 dcook So you had to write your own script for downloading deps from CPAN
23:49 dcook By default, CPAN will give yout he latest version though and you don't always want that
23:49 tuxayo We have cpanfile?
23:49 tuxayo *a
23:49 dcook In master we do
23:50 dcook It's an interesting philosophical question
23:50 tuxayo > By default, CPAN will give yout he latest version though and you don't always want that
23:50 tuxayo Maybe something like that could help?
23:50 tuxayo > In master we do
23:50 tuxayo how is it named?
23:50 dcook Heh I was just about to mention that
23:50 dcook It's just called "cpanfile" at the root of the git repo
23:50 tuxayo ^^
23:51 dcook There are advantages to the Perl deps being Debian packages provided by Apt repos
23:51 dcook And there are advantages to using CPAN and Carton to build a virtual environment
23:51 dcook Using CPAN and Carton could make cross-OS support much easier
23:51 tuxayo huh, I wasn't on master. Indeed we have a cpanfile :D
23:51 dcook And with Plack it becomes quite easy
23:52 dcook Using a virtual environment with Carton is less easy when using CGI with Apache
23:52 dcook Since it's using the shebang at the start of the files to determine the Perl executable to use
23:53 dcook But regardless of their relative merits, I figure inertia will carry us forward on the same path that we've been on for a long time
23:53 dcook Which means it's really best to use the latest Debian/Ubuntu supported by the community
23:53 * dcook hasn't used other OSes by choice but rather necessity
23:54 dcook Since making a more recent move to Ubuntu, I've started contributing much more to Koha as well, because I'm running into the same issues as other people
23:54 dcook On OpenSuse, many of my issues aren't faced by others, and vice versa
23:55 tuxayo > There are advantages to the Perl deps being Debian packages provided by Apt repos
23:55 tuxayo I know having a package maintainer that isn't the developer give more trust. Are there other advantages?
23:55 dcook There are more people using Debian than there are people using Koha
23:56 dcook So Perl packages in Debian repos will get more scrutiny and more aid from a security team
23:56 dcook from the Debian security team*
23:56 dcook CPAN is a bit of the wild west
23:56 dcook There's no QA
23:57 dcook Whereas it takes effort to get something into Debian
23:57 dcook It goes through testing and QA, etc
23:57 dcook So Debian Apt repo will be more stable than CPAN
23:57 dcook HTTP::OAI is a good example of that. The latest version on CPAN is broken.
23:57 tuxayo is our cpanfile requiring it? (the latest)
23:57 dcook So Debian uses an older version, and I think even that version they've patched
23:58 dcook I hope not. I'll look
23:58 tuxayo requires 'HTTP::OAI', '3.2';
23:58 dcook Yeah I think 3.28 is a good version
23:58 dcook 4.x is terrible
23:58 dcook I've thought about taking over HTTP::OAI on CPAN, but I'm not *that* interested ;)

| Channels | #koha index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | plain, newest first | summary