IRC log for #koha, 2014-10-21

All times shown according to UTC.

Time S Nick Message
03:51 bag hola
04:50 khall joined #koha
05:16 laurence joined #koha
05:25 cait joined #koha
05:31 * magnuse waves
05:32 magnuse kia ora cait!
05:32 cait morning magnuse :)
05:46 * mtj waves to bag, magnuse cait
05:46 cait hi mtj :)
05:47 mtj hey cait, i loved those kohacon fotos of you all
05:47 magnuse hiya mtj
05:47 cait :)
05:48 mtj very very jealous
05:48 * magnuse too
05:48 mtj peeps, i was looking at this again, last nite... ->
05:49 mtj
05:50 mtj i was wondering if it might be a good fit for Koha project...
05:51 magnuse is that like a free software version of disqus?
05:51 mtj its free, we can run it on our own server, etc..
05:51 magnuse what's not to like? ;-)
05:51 magnuse oh, ruby?
05:51 wahanui somebody said ruby was easy to install. Any > 1.8.7 works fine
05:51 mtj its more like a free version of stack-exchange
05:52 magnuse oh
05:52 magnuse so it would be for koha-related discussions?
05:52 magnuse i thought it was comments on individual catalogues...
05:53 magnuse hm, i still can't get to the wiki. cait and mtj, can you?
05:53 cait not this morning
05:53 mtj nor me
05:56 magnuse :-(
05:56 magnuse who can give it a kick? i guess that info is... on the wiki
05:57 mtj heh, yeah, it is
05:58 mtj gmcharlt, rangi have logins ^
05:58 mtj its an ESI box (i think)
05:59 magnuse or maybe it doesn't need actual kicking, someone in the us was able to get in yesterday when i couldn't
06:00 cait i could still reach it then too
06:00 cait maybe someone locked us out? :)
06:01 magnuse could be :-)
06:02 mtj
06:02 mtj looks down
06:04 mtj magnuse:  discourse could be an option for our failed SE attempt...
06:04 mtj[…]ember/037402.html
06:06 magnuse wow, that was 2 years ago? :-)
06:06 magnuse if someone sets it up i'll be glad to try it
06:07 mtj discourse is made by one of the orig. SE devs, Jeff Atwood
06:07 magnuse nice
06:08 * mtj just throwing the idea out there, for the logs...
06:12 mtj discourse with docker, on a digitalocean VM
06:12 mtj ->[…]sing-docker/12156
06:17 mtj fyi: discourse was mentioned during those inital discussions
06:17 mtj[…]ember/037409.html
06:17 mtj ... but it only recently had a 1.x release
06:19 mtj anyhoo, something to ponder
06:23 sophie_m joined #koha
06:40 reiveune joined #koha
06:40 reiveune hello
06:40 wahanui que tal, reiveune
06:44 petter joined #koha
06:44 magnuse looks like there is a problem with too
06:44 petter Hi koha folks!
06:45 magnuse hei petter
06:45 magnuse i would guess eythian is involved with that
06:46 magnuse mtj: could you get on your bike and find eythian and give him a kick? ;-)
06:56 lds joined #koha
06:56 lds joined #koha
06:56 alex_a joined #koha
06:57 alex_a bonjour
07:00 magnuse bonjour alex_a
07:00 alex_a hello magnuse
07:01 lds_ joined #koha
07:10 ashimema I'd be game for a discourse play ;)
07:19 magnuse just need a volunteer to set it up and host it, then
07:23 Oak joined #koha
07:23 * Oak waves
07:24 Oak magnuse
07:25 magnuse Oak
07:26 Oak :)
07:26 magnuse :-)
07:28 gaetan_B joined #koha
07:29 gaetan_B hello
07:41 ashimema I have a feeling my current dev is going to be a bit bold for Koha ;)
07:43 ashimema ILL (Inter Library Loans).. with a fairly chunky amount of the code based on khalls Koha::Object classes, pianohackers Koha::Service object (which no-one out there has really seen yet) and the addition of AngularJS for the client side interface.  Might get some people thinking though :)
07:43 magnuse sounds cool!
07:44 magnuse how far along are you? i'll be working on ill in 2015 :-)
07:44 ashimema I've learnt allot lately working on another project (Mojo, AngularJS and Bootstrap based).. i've brought a few of them to the table with this piece.
07:45 ashimema put it this way magnuse.. I need somthing to show the boss by the end of the week.. we're on a sprint here with Colin working on British Library API integration and Alex working on the data storage and configuration side..
07:45 ashimema so with the three of us hacking at it.. it's going reasonably well ;)
07:46 ashimema We also did allot of work first time around using ARTemail as the interface.. but we've basically ditched that with the British Libraries move to a reasonable decent API instead
07:47 ashimema The real far future aim I'd like to see.. is for our dev to go a bit further and allow Koha to do both sides and act as a service provider implimenting most fo the BL api the other way around..
07:47 ashimema but for this sprint we're just aiming for making requests to BL.. not supplying ;)
07:49 magnuse cool
07:49 magnuse are you thinking about facilitating other protocols/apis? in norway we will be basing ill on ncip
07:49 ashimema random interface question.. with Angular you can obviously affect dom with immediate effect without requiring a page reload.. so I have an option when adding a request.. to immediately add said request to the visible requests table, then highlight it and remove it if there's a failure between the client and the server.. or the other way around.. only adding to the user interface once the 'ok' signal has made it's way back from
07:49 ashimema the server.
07:49 wahanui i heard the server was behind a Firewall and Reverse Proxy
07:50 ashimema Well.. the way we've implimented it.. it should be trivial to write an api specific driver to plugin to it I think..
07:50 ashimema that's the bit alex has been working on..
07:50 magnuse very cool
07:51 ashimema a server side user configuration to map api calls to koha classes and results.
07:51 ashimema but it's all rather BL api specific at the moment in terms of whats actually visible..
07:51 ashimema code wise.
07:51 magnuse yay. i have no time for it now, but ill will be one of my main concerns in 2015
07:52 ashimema but yeah.. the idea would be that using this config file.. you can effectively map in one place and then have all the data dynamically added to display using said mapping.
07:52 ashimema it's the process that may need some tinkering with.. if the process is entirely different that could lead to some interesting challenges ;)
07:53 ashimema But then.. BL's process is pretty all encompassing.. so hopefully pretty much all others would fit within it somewhere ;)
08:13 logbot joined #koha
08:13 Topic for #koha is now Please read the new code of conduct -[…]/code-of-conduct/. The next Koha General IRC meeting is 22 October, 13:00 UTC. Welcome to the IRC home of Koha Please use for pastes.
08:42 paul_p joined #koha
08:48 magnuse kia ora paul_p
08:48 paul_p hi magnuse (& others)
08:49 petter Are there any mirrors of Has been down for a while
08:53 cait joined #koha
08:58 akafred joined #koha
08:59 magnuse petter: i don't think there are any, alas
09:00 petter magnuse: ok, thanks!
09:07 * cait waves
09:19 * magnuse waves back
09:19 papa joined #koha
09:20 magnuse ping papa?
09:21 papa pong
09:22 papa magnuse: you have 5 mins left, I was on my way out... :)
09:24 magnuse papa: yay! you don't happen to be able to kick ? it's been down for a while
09:24 magnuse or unavailable, at least
09:30 papa umm, no I'm afraid, that's way out of my jurisdiction
09:30 magnuse ah, no worries! eythian is the one we need, probably?
09:31 papa ashamed to admit, but don't know. it is possible though. I'll ask him and Chris tomorrow
09:32 magnuse excellent! now be on your way ;-)
09:32 papa sure, have a great day :)
09:38 magnuse guess it's getting too late to catch rangi too...
09:58 lds joined #koha
10:26 gaetan_B joined #koha
10:29 alex_a joined #koha
10:36 cait gmcharlt: ping
10:46 dexap huh. "perl translate help" dumps the whole translate file contents on the screen
10:47 phasefx joined #koha
10:51 paxed ...and the wiki is down?
10:52 magnuse yup
10:53 magnuse paxed: i get a nice help page when i do "perl translate help"
11:21 ashimema quiet in here today..
11:28 paxed weird.
11:43 Oak la la lala
11:43 Oak there you go. bit of noice.
11:58 meliss joined #koha
12:05 tgoat joined #koha
12:05 tgoat left #koha
12:10 tcohen joined #koha
12:10 tcohen morning!
12:22 magnuse ¡hola tcohen!
12:22 tcohen hola magnuse
12:22 edveal joined #koha
12:22 magnuse tcohen: can yo uget to the wiki?
12:22 tcohen nope
12:23 magnuse we need to gang up on the first bywaterian to wake up, then, i think? ;-)
12:24 tcohen i wanted to post my photos and cannot login
12:24 tcohen maybe biblibre? i'm not sure who hosts it
12:24 tcohen magnuse: about bug 12750
12:24 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=12750 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, tomascohen, Needs Signoff , koha-create should be able to configure SRU server for the created instance
12:25 tcohen do u think koha-sru --enable|--disable is needed?
12:27 ibeardslee joined #koha
12:28 magnuse tcohen: dunno. my thought was that a separate script would be more flexible - make it possible to turn the public server off and on after the instance has been created
12:29 magnuse also, i think koha-create is quite big already - the less we add to it the better  (as long as it fits into a separate script, of course)
12:34 edveal_ joined #koha
12:35 tcohen adding switches cannot be avoided I think
12:35 tcohen i'll think of it
12:35 tcohen but i've already packaged several functions into a bashlib
12:40 edveal Is there a Koha meeting soon?
12:46 barton anyone else having trouble getting to ?
12:47 edveal Yes. I can’t get there either.
12:49 barton yeah. couldn't see it either.
12:49 oleonard joined #koha
12:50 barton morning oleonard!
12:50 oleonard Hi
12:50 wahanui hola, oleonard
12:51 edveal Hello olenard and wahanui
12:52 Dyrcona joined #koha
13:05 edveal Is the Koha meeting starting?
13:05 khall I thought that was tomorrow?
13:05 khall The next Koha General IRC meeting is 22 October, 13:00 UTC
13:05 edveal Ah great. Thanks khall.
13:05 khall np!
13:11 oleonard wiki down.
13:11 magnuse and we can't check the wiki to see who is responsible...
13:12 magnuse is it bywater?
13:12 * magnuse gotta run
13:13 talljoy joined #koha
13:15 ashimema equinox I tihnk.
13:15 ashimema it's gmcharlts area I beleive
13:18 lds joined #koha
13:22 talljoy good day #koha
13:23 clrh_ joined #koha
13:23 Guest2480 left #koha
13:24 chris_n joined #koha
13:26 cma joined #koha
13:35 talljoy who hosts
13:35 talljoy needs kicking.  not coming up for me.
13:39 oleonard gmcharlt?
13:39 wahanui gmcharlt is probably an expert in all things library technology.
13:56 rocio joined #koha
13:57 tcohen still 6:57 in seattle
14:00 oleonard Surely one of those cats would have woken him up by now!
14:03 talljoy lol
14:03 talljoy you would think so!
14:21 cait sql-- today
14:21 cait i need to see all borrowers of type x and see if they have a book x (full list of borrowers, null or barcode for those which have it checked out) and i fail
14:35 talljoy is it a darmduscher today cait?
14:36 talljoy poor sql.
14:37 talljoy are you looking for one specific book that is checked out?  or checked out in the past?
14:38 cait lol
14:39 cait talljoy: i got it now :)
14:39 talljoy good!
14:39 cait using a left join (select ....)
14:39 cait it's for a school
14:39 talljoy yes sounds about right
14:39 cait a complete list of the class and a column where they can see if they have checked out the specific book they are supposed to read yet
14:39 talljoy gotcha!
14:40 cait glad it's working now sql++
14:59 * tcohen hates side-effects
15:00 cait tcohen: what's the side effect?
15:01 tcohen i'm trying to write tests for the facets retrieval code
15:01 tcohen and it seems that on GRS-1, some stuff depends on side-effects to work
15:08 gmcharlt wiki rebooted, sorry for the downtime
15:08 gmcharlt looks like crawler at first glance
15:08 cait tcohen: not so surprised...
15:09 talljoyphone thanks gmcharlt
15:10 cait gmcharlt++
15:18 druthb gmcharlt++
15:26 oleonard I did not know you could use the template name in the way the patch for Bug 13112 does
15:26 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=13112 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, veron, Needs Signoff , Add name of template file in html comment for each '.tt' file.
15:26 ashimema we've been having a mare with crawlers today.
15:27 oleonard I wonder if there is any reason not to check template name in an include to determine what page one is on
15:27 oleonard (that is, what page the include file is being included by)
15:28 oleonard opposed to setting a variable in the script and checking that, like we do with the OPAC's
15:40 magnuse gmcharlt++
15:49 nengard joined #koha
15:58 oleonard My bug fix has feature-creeped.
15:58 oleonard Feature-crept?
16:03 * oleonard runs into Bug 12585 again
16:03 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=12585 major, P5 - low, ---, gmcharlt, In Discussion , Tag searching broken if QueryParser is turned on
16:03 cait sounds painful
16:03 cait ok, leaving for today - cya later all :)
16:03 cait left #koha
16:14 gaetan_B bye
16:33 oleonard If you want to set  OPACXSLTResultsDisplay to a path (not a full URL) what is it relative to? For instance, what would the correct path be for the default MARC21slim2OPACResults.xsl?
16:37 reiveune bye
16:37 reiveune left #koha
16:46 oleonard Figured it out. Full system path, not relative to the site root or something like that.
17:02 tcohen oleonard: did u find a way to reproduce it?
17:03 oleonard tcohen: I don't really know how to go about finding out why it happens for me but not for you
17:07 tcohen oleonard: but the steps to reproduce are just enabling queryparser?
17:08 oleonard Well, I get the error if QueryParser is on. I don't get the error if QueryParser is off. But I suppose it could be a combination of QueryParser and other preferences as well.
17:16 tcohen what bothers me, is that if QueryParser has problems loading the file, it silently falls back to no-QueryParser
17:17 cait joined #koha
17:18 laurence left #koha
17:20 tcohen oleonard: i'll try to reproduce
17:20 tcohen again
17:24 kmlussier joined #koha
17:26 sophie_m left #koha
17:29 cait oleonard++ :)
17:29 cait lots of new patches? :)
17:34 carmenh joined #koha
17:37 carmenh left #koha
18:11 oleonard It started with Bug 13083 and I just kept seeing more things to fix
18:11 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=13083 minor, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, Needs Signoff , Hard-coded " by " in
18:15 cait wow
18:15 cait super stormy outside
18:15 cait @wunder Konstanz
18:15 huginn cait: The current temperature in Konstanz, Germany is 16.0°C (8:00 PM CEST on October 21, 2014). Conditions: Thunderstorms and Rain. Humidity: 60%. Dew Point: 10.0°C. Pressure: 29.70 in 1006 hPa (Falling).
18:17 druthb @wunder 77098
18:17 huginn druthb: The current temperature in WEST UNIVERSITY, HOUSTON, Texas is 26.2°C (1:16 PM CDT on October 21, 2014). Conditions: Clear. Humidity: 41%. Dew Point: 12.0°C. Pressure: 30.01 in 1016 hPa (Steady).
18:18 tcohen @wunder cordoba, argentina
18:18 huginn tcohen: The current temperature in Bo Alto de San Martin, Cordoba City, Argentina is 35.6°C (3:05 PM ART on October 21, 2014). Conditions: Scattered Clouds. Humidity: 32%. Dew Point: 16.0°C. Pressure: 30.01 in 1016 hPa (Falling).
18:19 oleonard Wow tcohen, hot!
18:19 oleonard @wunder 45701
18:19 huginn oleonard: The current temperature in Whitlind Woods, Athens, Ohio is 11.2°C (2:18 PM EDT on October 21, 2014). Conditions: Overcast. Humidity: 87%. Dew Point: 9.0°C. Pressure: 29.98 in 1015 hPa (Falling).
18:19 magnuse @wunder boo
18:19 huginn magnuse: The current temperature in Bodo Vi, Norway is 4.0°C (8:00 PM CEST on October 21, 2014). Conditions: Partly Cloudy. Humidity: 49%. Dew Point: -3.0°C. Pressure: 29.69 in 1005 hPa (Rising).
18:21 druthb brr
18:24 tcohen oleonard: they say it will be worse tomorrow
18:24 * tcohen hopes that air conditioner gets installed at home soon
18:24 talljoy tcohen that sounds like a good temp to me!  like Texas weather
18:25 talljoy @wunder 76109
18:25 huginn talljoy: The current temperature in Tanglewood, Fort Worth, Texas is 25.2°C (1:21 PM CDT on October 21, 2014). Conditions: Clear. Humidity: 54%. Dew Point: 15.0°C. Pressure: 30.07 in 1018 hPa (Falling).
18:25 talljoy we're going down because of fall.  sigh.
18:25 talljoy :-(
18:27 tcohen talljoy: saw you had a fernet night
18:27 tcohen was it good?
18:27 talljoy it was very good.  just like in Cordoba
18:32 tcohen #koha: is the wiki still in trouble? would like to add our KohaCon14 photos
18:34 magnuse tcohen: works for me
18:34 oleonard And me
18:36 magnuse hah! lonely planet says northern norway is the 5th best region in the world to visit :-)
18:36 tcohen it works, but i cannot login
18:36 tcohen i mean, edit
18:38 magnuse hm, same for me akshuly. when i click on "edit" nothing happens
18:44 * oleonard has another patch to submit but is tired of writing test plans
18:44 tcohen magnuse:
18:50 magnuse tcohen: my spanish is not quite up to that level, but yeah, i can't get to edit it either
18:51 magnuse methinks we might have to summon forth gmcharlt again
18:55 oleonard But we just cleaned up after the last time! Fine, I'll get the candles and the goat.
18:56 tcohen oleonard: i already got a goat
18:56 tcohen bring the knife
18:57 cait tcohen: maybe i prefer the thunder storms here to 35 degrees...
18:57 cait oleonard: lol
18:57 tcohen sshhh, we are in the middle of a summoning
18:58 * cait shuts up
18:58 chris_n joined #koha
18:59 jcamins cait: now look what you did. You summoned chris_n instead of gmcharlt, and chris_n doesn't have shell access to the wiki.
18:59 * cait goes to stand in the corner
18:59 * cait yells - we need another timmy
18:59 cait um .. goat
19:00 oleonard Good luck #koha. I'm leaving before it gets messy!
19:00 * chris_n steps out of the woodwork
19:02 cait hola chris_n
19:02 chris_n heya cait
19:03 * gmcharlt is tied up in conf call, will check in a bit
19:03 edveal joined #koha
19:03 magnuse a conf call - is that like purgatory?
19:03 cait heh
19:04 cait probably
19:04 cait :)
19:05 magnuse from whence spirits can be summoned with candles and goats...
19:06 tcohen maybe a dark Nick Cave background song too
19:10 talljoy hahaha cait.  love it.
19:11 cait :)
19:12 jenkins_koha Yippee, build fixed!
19:12 wahanui o/ '`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`
19:12 jenkins_koha Project Koha_Master_U14 build #176: FIXED in 44 min: http://jenkins.koha-community.[…]a_Master_U14/176/
19:14 magnuse confetti!
19:14 wahanui well, confetti is[…]1qh8hleo1_400.gif
19:19 jenkins_koha Project Koha_Master_D7 build #190: STILL FAILING in 2 min 10 sec: http://jenkins.koha-community.[…]ha_Master_D7/190/
19:19 jenkins_koha * Marc Veron: Bug 12914 - Wrong message 'Patron(..) is blocked for 2014-09-30 day(s).
19:19 jenkins_koha * Bernardo Gonzalez Kriegel: Bug 12068 - Add support for RTL language
19:19 jenkins_koha * Owen Leonard: Bug 10960 - Holds Queue Report display loc code not description
19:19 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=12914 minor, P5 - low, ---, veron, Pushed to Master , Wrong message 'Patron(..) is blocked for 2014-09-30 day(s).
19:19 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=12068 normal, P5 - low, ---, bgkriegel, Pushed to Master , Add support for RTL languages
19:19 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10960 normal, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, Pushed to Master , Holds Queue Report display loc code not description
19:24 wnickc joined #koha
19:24 huginn New commit(s) kohagit: Bug 10960 - Holds Queue Report display loc code not description <[…]2cd05cb67eee73f77> / Bug 12068 - Add support for RTL language <[…]cee0643aa38a7ba09> / Bug 12914 - Wrong message 'Patron(..) is blocked for 2014-09-30 day(s). <http://git.
19:30 cma joined #koha
19:49 carmenh joined #koha
19:52 cma joined #koha
19:54 meliss joined #koha
20:02 cma joined #koha
20:05 jenkins_koha Project Koha_Master_D7 build #191: NOW UNSTABLE in 40 min: http://jenkins.koha-community.[…]ha_Master_D7/191/
20:13 cma joined #koha
20:14 tgoat joined #koha
20:17 rangi oh yes i did
20:18 pianohacker joined #koha
20:20 cait rangi:  hm?
20:21 rangi mailing list
20:21 wahanui mailing list is, like, at[…]ha-mailing-lists/
20:21 pianohacker hello
20:21 rangi heya pianohacker
20:21 wahanui pianohacker is a Dune fan, it seems.
20:21 mtj thats some classic cormack
20:22 rangi :)
20:22 talljoy omg pianohacker is that really you?
20:22 cait i think something got stuck in my spam filter again
20:22 pianohacker talljoy: I return from the abyss!
20:22 * talljoy whacks cait on the back
20:22 talljoy did that dislodge it?
20:23 jenkins_koha Yippee, build fixed!
20:23 wahanui o/ '`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`
20:23 jenkins_koha Project Koha_Master_U12 build #194: FIXED in 59 min: http://jenkins.koha-community.[…]a_Master_U12/194/
20:23 jenkins_koha * Marc Veron: Bug 12914 - Wrong message 'Patron(..) is blocked for 2014-09-30 day(s).
20:23 jenkins_koha * Bernardo Gonzalez Kriegel: Bug 12068 - Add support for RTL language
20:23 jenkins_koha * Owen Leonard: Bug 10960 - Holds Queue Report display loc code not description
20:23 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=12914 minor, P5 - low, ---, veron, Pushed to Master , Wrong message 'Patron(..) is blocked for 2014-09-30 day(s).
20:23 pianohacker how are you, talljoy? recovered from vacation?
20:23 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=12068 normal, P5 - low, ---, bgkriegel, Pushed to Master , Add support for RTL languages
20:23 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10960 normal, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, Pushed to Master , Holds Queue Report display loc code not description
20:23 pianohacker *working vacation ;)
20:24 talljoy bah.  nonstop work.
20:24 cait talljoy: yp found it ;)
20:24 talljoy pianohacker: it was the flights there and back that need recovering from.
20:24 ashimema ooh.. pianohacker is around
20:25 talljoy duck and run pianohacker
20:25 pianohacker *BZRRT* This has been an automated message from pianobot. If this were a real message from pianohacker, you would now be receiving sarcasm. *BEEEEEEEP*
20:26 jenkins_koha Yippee, build fixed!
20:26 wahanui o/ '`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`
20:26 jenkins_koha Project Koha_Master_U12_MariaDB build #122: FIXED in 58 min: http://jenkins.koha-community.[…]_U12_MariaDB/122/
20:26 jenkins_koha * Marc Veron: Bug 12914 - Wrong message 'Patron(..) is blocked for 2014-09-30 day(s).
20:26 jenkins_koha * Bernardo Gonzalez Kriegel: Bug 12068 - Add support for RTL language
20:26 jenkins_koha * Owen Leonard: Bug 10960 - Holds Queue Report display loc code not description
20:26 ashimema :P
20:26 pianohacker anyway, hi ashimema
20:26 talljoy lol
20:27 ashimema been playing with your Services stuff ;)
20:27 talljoy wiki still down?
20:27 ashimema tis nice
20:27 talljoy or down again?
20:27 pianohacker glad to hear.
20:27 pianohacker any major quibbles with the API?
20:29 ashimema not really.. seems to work nice (though I am hoping to get TO_JSON methods added tot he Koha::Object base classes as then it'll work muhc mroe nicely with them ;) )
20:29 pianohacker ooh! That'd quite nice
20:29 ashimema I have doctored the output routine in Koha::Service a tiny bit..
20:29 pianohacker JSONification of anything but base types is a bit of a hack atm
20:29 pianohacker ashimema: what change did you make?
20:30 ashimema You had JSON->new->convert_blessed->encode
20:30 ashimema I found it'd only work with
20:30 talljoy gmcharlt i'm guessing your cats are playing with computer cables and taking out the wiki?  :-)
20:30 gmcharlt xcache is not playing nice
20:30 ashimema JSON->new->allow_blessed(1)->c​onvert_blessed(1)->encode
20:30 gmcharlt I'm now threatening to toss it into the kibble dish
20:30 ashimema but I may well have been using it wrong.. wasn't exactly sure how you intended to use it.
20:31 talljoy gmcharlt dooeet.
20:32 ashimema but yeah.. I found that allowing blessed and conveting them seemed to do the trick pretty 'magically' in most cases..
20:32 ashimema just need to add those TO_JSON methods to the 'clever' object when we need them ;)
20:32 cait ashimema: what about you qa the wiating holds queue patch? :P
20:32 * cait tries that delegating thing heh
20:33 ashimema bug number ciat ;)
20:33 cait but it seems like many people like it
20:33 ashimema oh.. that one.. ;)
20:33 cait so we should just go with it
20:33 pianohacker ashimema: That seems reasonable enough. I think my only reason for not having allow_blessed enabled was to make sure that one didn't accidentally send something sensitive or gigantic back to the user, but if that causes more problems than it solves in practice go for it
20:33 ashimema yeah.. I should probably get on and qa it
20:34 ashimema I'de held off untll i'de really got my head around the objects.. but I think i'm there now ;)
20:34 cait probably omre then me
20:34 cait :)
20:34 ashimema I think I foud that convert_blessed didn't do anything unless you allowed blessed first ?
20:34 ashimema hense my confusion to start with.. but I do understand your reasoning..
20:35 cait hmpf
20:35 cait some RM wanted this patch asap... but the test plan reads:
20:35 ashimema I have a love hate relationship with the Objects cait..
20:35 cait Test Plan: 1) Wait until Sunday
20:35 talljoy HA
20:35 ashimema haha.. nice test plan
20:35 talljoy is step 2) Drink copious amounts of Beer.
20:35 ashimema think I have the same love/hate relationship with them that khall has now..
20:36 rangi joubu and I did some work with the objects, they have some bugs, and i dont like them, but i dont hate them enough to block it
20:36 talljoy 3) say, "whatever" and pass it anyways
20:36 pianohacker ashimema: my understanding from the docs was that convert_blessed only converted objects that had an explicit TO_JSON method, whereas allow_blessed would attempt to convert everything, using a TO_JSON if it existed
20:36 rangi the autoload for creating accessors is broken
20:36 ashimema dbic still offers us a massive amout which koha::objects obliterate in their current standings
20:36 cait bug 13115 btw
20:36 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=13115 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, gmcharlt, Signed Off , Holidays.t will fail some unit tests on Sundays
20:36 rangi not really, they are still dbic under the hood, its not removing anything
20:37 ashimema but with our basic hatred of using dbic properly I'm clucking at having object to allow us at least some of the niceities
20:37 rangi its just providing a consistent interface
20:37 rangi because not everything is in a db
20:37 rangi logical representation of objects should not be tied to their storage representation
20:37 rangi compsci 101
20:37 cait :)
20:38 ashimema indeed..
20:38 cait so we can mix in yaml and stuff like that?
20:38 rangi and conf
20:38 rangi and stuff in cache
20:38 ashimema agreed, i'm liking the consistency it would hopefully bring.. though of course the same consistency could be achieved with some rules..
20:38 rangi and stuff from external sources
20:38 ashimema ->get_columns for example is list when you use koha::objects
20:39 ashimema and some other nice accessors dbic provides
20:39 rangi yep
20:39 ashimema indeed..
20:39 rangi like i say, the objects have some major bugs
20:39 ashimema my ill work does exactly that..
20:39 rangi but they are an ok start and can be extended
20:40 ashimema we have a config object with the same general accessor pattern that utilises yaml as the storage medium.. and an api object that similarly has the same general accessor pattern that obviosly queries an api
20:40 rangi personally my inclination would be just to have Koha::Borrowers etc .. which is a class accessor base and uses koha::database and koha::cache
20:40 rangi but in the interests of moving forward, i can live with Koha::Object
20:40 ashimema so in our work we have db, api and congif files.. all feeling 'nice' to access in a standardised way..
20:41 rangi yep
20:41 ashimema think we basically agree rangi :). not the best approach.. but at least it's moving forward
20:42 rangi yep
20:42 rangi so we get to the point were we have a 3 line .pl
20:42 rangi and the rest is in the templates, and the modules
20:42 rangi thats where im hoping we get to :)
20:43 gmcharlt wiki is happier now
20:43 ashimema that's exactly where I'm aiming
20:43 ashimema rangi.. you should play with pianohackers Service work.. that's really nice too..
20:43 rangi yep, ive been keeping an eye on it
20:44 ashimema leads to a prett nice abstraction exactly like that.. the svc/*.pl turn into tiny little 3 liners ;)
20:44 rangi yup :)
20:44 ashimema pianohacker.. I'm probably gonna mostly run with that like I did with shib btw.. attributing to you.. but really pushing it through if you end up slacking ;)
20:45 ashimema I want angular in koha ;)
20:45 ashimema and I now hav a beautiful example of it :)_
20:45 rangi just make sure it passes the accessibility tests, and it'll go in fine ashimema
20:45 rangi (we have quite a few blind librarians around the world using Koha now)
20:45 pianohacker translation is another concern, no?
20:45 rangi that too
20:45 rangi but i think they are both solvable
20:45 pianohacker That's one reason I've been putting off submitting it
20:46 pianohacker ashimema: that's understandable, especially at the moment.
20:46 ashimema yeah.. I'm still getting my head around accessability and translation with angular..
20:46 rangi ashimema: we have a blind staff member who is our accessibility expert, helped write the nz govt guidelines, so we can get him to test stuff
20:47 ashimema I'm pretty confident there are ways to make it nice.. but I've not delved far enough into that area yet..
20:47 ashimema ooh.. cool
20:47 ashimema might be asking for their help in testing when it comes to it ;)
20:47 rangi on the fly translation, in the browser, is probably doable now with modern computers
20:48 rangi there is angular-gettext
20:48 rangi which can handle .po files
20:48 ashimema well in the work i'm doing so far translation should be pretty trivial..
20:48 rangi
20:48 ashimema it's the accessability i'm far less sure about.. I've not played enough into screen readers and the like yet.
20:48 cait i have a library i can maybe ask to test something too - if it can run on a sandbox
20:48 rangi if we do something like this, then the translators dont have to learn a new way to translate
20:49 ashimema ooh.. cool.
20:49 ashimema thanks for that heads up rangi :)
20:49 pianohacker rangi: out of curiosity, what are the major reasons to do that as opposed to something like what we did for the .pref files?
20:49 * cait loves to see conversations like that on #koha
20:49 cait make it happen! :)
20:50 rangi we use po stuff for the pref files too
20:50 ashimema :)
20:51 ashimema ngAria.. seems to be all about accessibility.. that's promising.
20:51 pianohacker rangi: right, but then the usual process is applied to create translated .pref files as opposed to doing the translation at runtime, correct?
20:51 rangi yep
20:51 * pianohacker hasn't touched that code in a few years, so apologies if he's off base
20:51 rangi cos they are just .tt files
20:51 pianohacker they're not still YAML?
20:51 rangi but if we doing fancy stuff in angular, be kinda cool to just use the .po files and translate on the fly
20:52 rangi hmm they might be actually
20:52 rangi either way, they are static, and depend on you creating the templates
20:53 pianohacker okay, just curious. Would we be splitting up .po's so the browser doesn't have to load the entire .po for a given language to translate a single page?
20:53 rangi exactly
20:53 ashimema I'm using similar for a yaml based config file for ILL ;)
20:53 pianohacker okay, makes sense, thanks
20:53 ashimema but that mostly due to having such a config file..
20:53 rangi in theory anyway, id have to test it to see if it was useful
20:53 rangi that would also make for easier contextual translating too .. in theory
20:53 ashimema for other angular stuff I have no reason against using something at browser level
20:53 pianohacker ooh, yeah.
20:53 rangi next step
20:53 wahanui i think next step is to send it to the patches mailing list
20:53 rangi click on the word that is wrong, and submit a better translation .. in the browser :)
20:54 pianohacker the main reason I ask is because rancor is loading about a MB of JSON for the framework, and that's a major pain point
20:54 pianohacker but that  sounds really cool
20:55 ashimema I've been wanting to hack the .po's into more managable chunks for a while..
20:55 ashimema and yeah.. sending thme to the browser is a really good reason to do it.
20:55 ashimema an MB of JSON for the frameworks..
20:55 ashimema dang!
20:55 rangi ashimema: talk to bgkriegel he has been doing lots of improvements
20:55 ashimema :)
20:56 ashimema I have to have somthing to show to the boss by the end of the week.. prototyping still..
20:56 pianohacker yeah, it's a very simple-minded array of hashes for every single tag/subfield, so it could be optimized. I'm going to try gzipping it and see if that helps first though
20:56 ashimema but after that the aim is to refine the code with all these things in mind
20:57 ashimema mimify and gzip it.. thats certainly a start.. (and set a really long cache timeout)
20:57 ashimema are you loading the whole set of frameworks in one hit.. or loading individual frameworks on the fly when needed?
20:58 pianohacker ashimema: individual frameworks... it only supports the default framework atm, in fact
20:58 ashimema what's driving rancor mate.. i don't remember seeing angular in there?
20:58 ashimema damn.. 1MB for one framework.. that's huge!
20:58 ashimema never would have guessed they were that large
20:58 pianohacker ashimema: no, it's jQuery and lots of manual monkeying around. Really wish I had angular
20:59 ashimema lol.. I can see why it's taking it's time then mate ;)
20:59 pianohacker yeah...
20:59 ashimema angular is lovely to work with.. has it's oddities.. but the ease with which it allows you to separate concerns is uber awesome.
20:59 pianohacker that plus school/teaching/research/club/reddit
20:59 pianohacker god yes
21:00 ashimema you using require.js or anything.. or just loaidng the entire stack in one iht?
21:00 pianohacker wait, is bag around?
21:00 pianohacker *that plus school/teaching/research/club
21:00 pianohacker ashimema: Definitely require.js, I've separated out as much as I can into modules
21:00 ashimema cool, cool..
21:01 ashimema that's the last piece of the puzzle I need to get my had around..
21:01 pianohacker the UI is still one huge chunk though, as separating anything with translatable strings out is a pain with our current setup
21:01 ashimema using require.js with angular
21:01 pianohacker ^ would also be easier with angular
21:01 ashimema so i've heard..
21:01 pianohacker yeah, I whine about that a lot
21:01 ashimema just not tried yet.. not really played with require at all..
21:02 ashimema only angular dependency injection.. but that works very differently really.. still loads all at once.
21:02 pianohacker yeah
21:04 ashimema right.. I must go to bed.. got a long drive too early tommorrow morning..
21:04 kmlussier joined #koha
21:04 ashimema night peeps
21:04 pianohacker night ashimema
21:31 kmlussier joined #koha
21:37 cbrannon joined #koha
22:03 eythian hi
22:05 wizzyrea hello
22:09 cait hola eythian
22:10 rocio1 joined #koha
22:14 eythian hi there cait
22:14 cait hi eythian
22:47 tgoat left #koha
23:05 cait left #koha
23:08 cait1 joined #koha
23:16 edveal joined #koha
23:36 rocio left #koha
23:53 tcohen joined #koha
23:54 tcohen hi
23:56 rangi hey tcohen
23:59 tcohen hi
23:59 wahanui kia ora, tcohen

| Channels | #koha index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | plain, newest first | summary