IRC log for #koha, 2012-06-07

All times shown according to UTC.

Time S Nick Message
00:20 melia left #koha
00:32 brylie joined #koha
00:41 papa joined #koha
00:50 mtompset joined #koha
00:50 mtompset Greetings, #koha folk.
01:06 brylie joined #koha
01:08 wajasu ok. got my kvm script to build debiansqueeze+koha, and now i did a git clone and am wiring up the environment, whilst reusing the PERL5LIB.  My staf admin interface works fine.  The opac complained about GetDailyQuote is not exported by the C4::Koha module.  Maybe its just because I pulled from the master.
01:11 * mtompset shrugs, "I don't know."
01:17 wajasu i'll try an pull a stable release tag.
01:18 mtompset I would try to "grep -l GetDailyQuote `find .`" in your koha install.
01:19 mtompset And then figure out by looking at the code in the modules listed.
01:36 mtompset any success, wajasu?
01:43 wajasu running cpan to get two perl modules
01:44 mtompset which two?
01:44 wajasu DateTime::Format:MySQL and DateTime::TimeZone
01:45 mtompset Are you sure there isn't a package for the first one?
01:45 mtompset I did an install attempt under Ubuntu.
01:45 mtompset I did an "aptitude search datetime-format-mysql"
01:45 mtompset and it found it.
01:46 mtompset perhaps a similar search "aptitude search datetime-timezone" might find the second.
01:46 wajasu oh yeah. i forgot. i was literraly following INSTALL.debian (should have searched).
01:47 mtompset Don't worry about it. I've done that before too. :)
01:48 mtompset I did mention ubuntu expressly in a bug report I put up recently.
01:48 mtompset bug 8192
01:48 huginn` Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=8192 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, gmcharlt, NEW , Update libraries and Missing library in install_misc/ubuntu.packages
01:49 mtompset the missing library is the first one you mentioned: DateTime::Format::MySQL
01:52 wajasu "GetDailyQuote" is not exported by the C4::Koha module
01:52 wajasu Can't continue after import errors at /kohaclone/opac/ line 26
01:52 wajasu BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /kohaclone/opac/ line 26.
01:53 Administrator joined #koha
01:53 wajasu maybe i have the /etc/koha/apache2/apache-shared.conf not mapped correctly for opac
01:57 mtompset No, I don't think so.
01:58 wajasu i need to do Makefile.PL and follow the INSTALL.debian  (got to get my KOHA_CONF and defined as well.
01:58 mtompset But this is probably a newer feature.
01:58 wajasu i've just done a git pull. and edited the apache stuff.
01:58 wajasu the staff interface worked.
01:58 mtompset Ah, so you haven't finished the setup steps...
01:59 mtompset Probably a good idea to finish them first before trying to debug. :)
02:00 wajasu yes.  i will have to do this tomorrow with a fresh generated VM and follow the install steps. :)  thx
02:02 mtompset What VM package are you using?
02:02 Administrator joined #koha
02:03 Administrator joined #koha
02:03 mtompset For my testing purposes, I have a windows box with VirtualBox running.
02:06 wajasu i wrote a shell script that i run that uses libvirt.  it grabs the debian netinst iso, and a cdrom install using a debian preseeding file, which also installs koha-common, and configures its all.    now I am adding a git dev environment to it for patches.  libvirt will be able to generate qcow2, vmdk, lvm, kvm based images.
02:08 wajasu it only took 5 minutes to run in my /dev/shm /tmp directory. (really just waited while grabbing stuff from repos).  its a good way to document what it takes.  maybe it can be web hosted later and folks can generate different images.  my host machine is archlinux.
02:15 Oak joined #koha
02:16 Oak kia ora #koha
02:26 Oak joined #koha
02:40 mtompset interesting. Hi, Oak.
02:41 Oak Hello mtompset :)
02:42 mtompset @wunder MNL
02:42 huginn` mtompset: The current temperature in Manila, Philippines is 30.0°C (10:00 AM PHT on June 07, 2012). Conditions: Mostly Cloudy. Humidity: 79%. Dew Point: 26.0°C. Pressure: 29.74 in 1007 hPa (Steady).
02:49 mtompset where are the irc logs?
02:49 wahanui the irc logs are
02:50 mtompset Thank you, wahanui.
02:50 wahanui mtompset: sure thing
03:07 * mtompset is taking a short 15 minute break.
03:07 * mtompset waves to #koha folks.
03:22 mtompset joined #koha
03:24 mtompset topic?
03:24 wahanui topic is wrong. :)
03:24 mtompset wahanui forget topic
03:24 wahanui mtompset: I forgot topic
03:24 mtompset topic?
03:34 mtj left #koha
03:37 Oak joined #koha
03:37 Oak joined #koha
03:38 mtompset joined #koha
03:43 bencahill G'night guys, I'm going to unplug because of the storm here. :)
03:43 mtompset Good night, bencahill.
03:44 bencahill mtompset: Hey, I'm just now trying out Sublime Text (just heard of it), and it's awesome! You should give it a try. :P
03:45 * bencahill feels crazy for somewhat ditching vim so fast, but this is out of this world.
03:45 mtompset What is Sublime Text?
03:45 mtompset And editor?
03:45 bencahill Yup
03:45 mtompset Why install a non-default editor?
03:45 mtompset Less installs = good.
03:46 bencahill mtompset: Eh, vim is on-default on this distro (arch)
03:46 bencahill mtompset: And yes, vi/vim has that awesome advantage, and I'll still use it for a lot of things.
03:47 mtompset really?! what editor is installed by default on arch linux?
03:47 bencahill mtompset: vi
03:47 bencahill s/on-default/n&/
03:48 mtompset What's wrong with plain vi?
03:48 bencahill Um, no syntax highlighting, for one.
03:48 mtompset BAH! If you can't see the syntax, you need glasses. :P
03:48 bencahill I'm sure there are a lot of other things I like in vim that vi doesn't have. Not that I'm saying vi by itself isn't awesome. ;)
03:49 * bencahill actually likes pretty colors, even though he does use a tiling wm with no window borders. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, eh?
03:50 bencahill But anyway, g'night...I'm just excited. :)
03:50 mtompset When I was in University, emacs was the rage.
03:50 mtompset Okay... have a good night, bencahill. :)
03:50 bencahill :)
05:14 brylie joined #koha
05:18 cait joined #koha
05:23 cait joined #koha
05:29 mtompset @wunder EDI
05:29 huginn` mtompset: The current temperature in Dalgety Bay, United Kingdom is 10.7°C (6:15 AM BST on June 07, 2012). Conditions: Fog. Humidity: 96%. Dew Point: 10.0°C. Pressure: 29.47 in 998 hPa (Steady).
05:29 paul_p joined #koha
05:29 cait morning mtompset
05:29 mtompset Hi, Cait.
05:30 mtompset It's afternoon here. But you're at #kohacon, so it's morning there. :)
05:32 mtompset Strange... no bug reports of CCL parsing error?
05:37 cait bbiab
05:38 * mtompset nods.
05:41 Oak joined #koha
06:50 julian_m joined #koha
06:53 * mtompset smirks, "Yes, a bit is much longer than 10 minutes."
06:53 mtompset what is a bit?
06:53 wahanui somebody said a bit was unset, but it's still stuck at the bottom.
06:53 reiveune joined #koha
06:53 reiveune hello
06:53 wahanui bonjour, reiveune
06:54 mtompset Bonjour. :)
06:55 mtompset @wunder EDI
06:55 huginn` mtompset: The current temperature in Dalgety Bay, United Kingdom is 10.6°C (7:45 AM BST on June 07, 2012). Conditions: Fog. Humidity: 96%. Dew Point: 10.0°C. Pressure: 29.47 in 998 hPa (Steady).
06:55 mtompset 96% humidity?!
06:56 mtompset @wunder MNL
06:56 huginn` mtompset: The current temperature in Ninoy Aquino Inter-National Airport, Philippines is 28.0°C (2:00 PM PHT on June 07, 2012). Conditions: Light Rain. Humidity: 93%. Dew Point: 27.0°C. Pressure: 29.71 in 1006 hPa (Falling).
06:58 mtompset Wait a second... that time is wrong.
06:58 mtompset It's nearly 3PM.
06:59 mtompset Oh, the data was an hour ago.
07:00 * mtompset thinks he needs to take an afternoon nap.
07:37 hdl joined #koha
07:47 WaqarAzeem joined #koha
07:55 marcelr joined #koha
08:08 hdl joined #koha
08:14 alex_a joined #koha
08:15 julian_m joined #koha
08:15 matts hi !
08:15 mtompset Hi, matts.
08:16 mtompset It's been rather empty so far today.
08:16 matts It's 9 AM here :)
08:17 mtompset It's 4:16PM here.
08:18 mtompset @wunder EDI
08:18 huginn` mtompset: The current temperature in Dalgety Bay, United Kingdom is 12.2°C (9:15 AM BST on June 07, 2012). Conditions: Scattered Clouds. Humidity: 94%. Dew Point: 11.0°C. Pressure: 29.47 in 998 hPa (Steady).
08:19 eythian joined #koha
08:19 mtompset @wunder MNL
08:19 huginn` mtompset: The current temperature in Manila, Philippines is 29.0°C (4:00 PM PHT on June 07, 2012). Conditions: Mostly Cloudy. Humidity: 84%. Dew Point: 26.0°C. Pressure: 29.71 in 1006 hPa (Steady).
08:21 cait joined #koha
08:22 david_ joined #koha
08:24 asaurat joined #koha
08:27 hdl joined #koha
08:28 sophie_m joined #koha
08:30 Oak @wunder islamabad
08:30 huginn` Oak: The current temperature in Islamabad, Pakistan is 35.0°C (1:00 PM PKT on June 07, 2012). Conditions: Scattered Clouds. Humidity: 25%. Dew Point: 12.0°C. Pressure: 29.65 in 1004 hPa (Steady).
08:31 cait heya Oak :)
08:31 Oak o hello cait :) what are you doing?
08:31 nengard joined #koha
08:31 cait still trying to wake up :)
08:31 nengard ditto
08:32 Oak huh? waking up late today?
08:32 cait we are at the conference site... only a bit tired :)
08:32 cait short night
08:33 rangi nengard: you have bureacrat permissions on the wiki eh?
08:33 nengard what does that mean?
08:33 Oak hmm
08:33 nengard I don't think I do ? but maybe
08:34 nengard I know I can delete pages - I can see the users list but don't see a way to approve/reject members ....
08:34 rangi[…]&group=bureaucrat
08:34 nengard oh ?. hehe
08:35 rangi so somehow you can elevate permissions, if you figure out how could you make me one too please :)
08:35 nengard hmmmm
08:35 nengard okay let me poke around
08:35 nengard user Chris is a an admin - or are you Chrisc
08:38 rangi umm one of them, and yeah i am admin, but only bureaucrat can do user permissions apparently
08:38 nengard rangi it's done
08:38 nengard for both
08:39 nengard I had no idea I had those special powers :)
08:39 rangi yay thanks
08:39 cait nengard: superlibrarian powers? ;)
08:39 nengard yuppers :)
08:40 paul_p joined #koha
08:40 cait bonjour paul_p :)
08:40 paul_p hi cait
08:43 mtompset Greetings, people.
08:44 mbalmer joined #koha
08:44 mbalmer ola
08:44 mtompset Does this mean someone might be able to fix my wiki access?
08:44 cait we are trying... but I think we got stuck again
08:44 mtompset :)
08:48 mtompset Well, I do appreciate the efforts.
08:49 mtompset I did send an email to gmcharlt.
08:49 mtompset (his email address is on a couple of the bug reports I made)
08:49 mtompset I did mark the email read-receipt.
08:49 mle morning
08:49 mtompset But frequently people click 'no'. :(
08:50 rangi mle: i need to say thanks again for organising last night
08:50 cait hi mle :)
08:50 rangi it was fantastic
08:50 cait yeah, it was awesome
08:50 cait and thx for helping me find the right cider :)
08:50 mtompset alcoholic or non?
08:50 mtompset hard or not?
08:50 sophie_m joined #koha
08:51 mtompset which is the right one?
08:53 slef blurgh
08:53 mle rangi ty it was my pleasure.  i will forever remember the waving arms of kohacon12. ;)
08:53 rangi hehe
08:53 cait mtompset: I don't know which it was, but it was good
08:53 mle hi cait.
08:54 slef I was worried. We did not cover ourselves in singing glory before
08:54 rangi at kohacon10
08:54 rangi :)
08:54 cait true
08:54 mle hope everyone is feelimg chipper this morning! i was tempted to do something energisimg with you all this morning!
08:54 cait you should have...
08:54 cait :)
08:54 cait there is still the hackfest... :)
08:54 slef yeah some blodger was meaning to teach us a song and slept
08:55 rangi hehe
08:55 cait who could that have been...
08:55 slef shall we ask mle to boot up hackfest?
08:55 cait what's your definition of "boot up"?
08:55 mtompset get started?
08:56 slef something energising in the mornings
08:56 mbalmer dancing the highland flinge?
08:56 slef mbalmer: ITYM flange
08:56 drojf joined #koha
08:56 cait moin drojf
08:56 mle caber tossing workshop!
08:56 drojf hi #koha
08:56 mbalmer that dance folks do because of the little moskitos..
08:57 mtompset ITYM?
08:57 cait mtompset: thx for asking that :)
08:57 drojf omg i was fast with my presentation. i hope you could understand anything
08:57 mbalmer i thing you mean
08:57 slef wahanui: ITYM is I Think You Mean
08:57 wahanui OK, slef.
08:57 drojf nice to put a timer and then don'tr look at it :D
08:57 cait heh
08:57 cait you will see the sme happening with me in wildau ;)
08:57 mtompset suatnk! :P
08:58 slef drojf: clock at the bck shows wrong time
08:58 mtompset stop using acronyms that nobody knows. ;)
08:58 mbalmer itym, i'm the young man!
08:58 drojf slef: i had a stop watch running. took 11 minutes, took 20 at the hotel ^^
08:58 slef back
08:58 rangi drojf: it was good :)
08:58 slef typing is hard on mini keyboard
08:59 drojf rangi: thanks :)
08:59 drojf slef: where to put the presentation for the rest of the world?
08:59 slef drojf: wiki
08:59 mtompset This conversation made me think of:
08:59 cait i think you can link from your abstract on the wiki
08:59 drojf ah ok
08:59 * slef hides from mtompset
08:59 aguri joined #koha
09:00 cait mtompset: we have t obe nice to slef
09:00 cait mtompset: he has to suffer doing all the organisation
09:00 slef I wish I could give mtompset wiki access
09:00 cait we all do...
09:00 slef but I would just fail to find time
09:00 mtompset Hey, you guys are trying. I very much appreciate that.
09:00 cait lol
09:00 slef I am very trying!
09:00 cait I dropped gmcharlt a mail too some days ago
09:01 cait no answer yet
09:01 cait perhaps we should try thd
09:01 mtompset From what I can tell in the IRC logs... I missed him by 3 minutes!
09:01 mtompset How frustrating.
09:02 * gmcharlt pops in -- not just a matter of unblocking email, going to need to figure out a way to deal with mediawiki's laxity
09:02 gmcharlt as we were in danger of getting on spam blocks
09:02 slef can we special case approve mtompset account please?
09:02 * mtompset smiles, "Okay... I can relax now. :)"
09:02 cait hi gmcharlt
09:03 cait yes, perhaps some people could be given permission to activate user accounts?
09:03 mtompset A lot of places have a "Are you human?" box that you need to check.
09:03 cait that could work until we get a real solution again
09:03 mtompset And then some even have a simple "What is 3+4?" box.
09:03 slef bulk deleting unapproveds and switching to lots of ppl allowed to approve. maybe from irv
09:03 gmcharlt mtompset: whcih the bots have defeated
09:03 slef irc
09:04 gmcharlt slef: I agree, it's gonig to have to be manual approval
09:04 gmcharlt mtompset: what user account did you register?
09:04 slef I hate "are you human?" because most of them say I am not
09:04 cait lol
09:05 mtompset
09:05 mtompset I did send you an email @gmail.
09:05 slef what am I? chopped liver?
09:05 * slef rants off to his mailbox
09:06 gmcharlt mtompset: yes, I mean, what username did you assign yourself?
09:06 gmcharlt nm, found it
09:06 cait gmcharlt++
09:06 mtompset mtompset
09:06 wahanui rumour has it mtompset is taking off
09:07 mtompset wahanui forget mtompset
09:07 wahanui mtompset: I forgot mtompset
09:07 gmcharlt wahanui: forget mtompset
09:07 wahanui gmcharlt, I didn't have anything matching mtompset
09:07 * mtompset laughs, "Great minds think alike."
09:15 mtompset What if there was an email address to which a blank message with "Register Me" as a subject line would generate the confirmation email after the user registered? Bots don't send empty emails, and they don't know the subject line, though they'd likely get the email address.
09:17 medmondson joined #koha
09:17 medmondson ¬¬
09:18 mtompset Are those shifty eyes?
09:18 medmondson yup
09:18 gmcharlt mtompset: ok, I think we're set up - please try registering your account again
09:18 mtompset registering?
09:19 mtompset So request?
09:20 gmcharlt yes
09:20 slef lee just made everyone close their laptops
09:21 slef so there's only the phonies like me still here
09:22 mtompset Arg! A bio of 50 words.
09:22 slef awrite about getting a login?;)
09:23 alex_a joined #koha
09:23 medmondson salut alex_a
09:23 gmcharlt mtompset: bio requirement removed
09:23 alex_a bonjour medmondson
09:24 slef are ppl on phones or breaking lee's rule?
09:25 mtompset Okay... it says and email has been sent to me...
09:26 mtompset Nice randomization on the math question.
09:26 gmcharlt mtompset: ok, I've approved the account -- please see if you can log in now
09:27 mtompset Hmm... no password is set... did it ask?
09:28 mtompset I must have done something wrong.
09:29 mtompset It said the username is the same as my Real Name.
09:29 mtompset but I don't think it asked for a password.
09:31 gmcharlt mtompset: hmm - I've set one for you, then
09:35 Joubu joined #koha
09:36 cait hi Joubu :)
09:36 Joubu hi #koha
09:36 alex_a joined #koha
09:36 Joubu hi cait :)
09:36 sophie_m joined #koha
09:38 mtompset Hello all.
09:40 asaurat joined #koha
09:42 eythian joined #koha
09:46 slef and now we've stopped torturing lee, people are allowed their laptops back
09:46 drojf heh
09:47 rangi she
09:47 rangi 's brave :)
09:48 cait yep she is :)
09:48 slef hmmm  you're not going to like the main answer in my talk then
09:48 slef ohhh this is going to go really badly
09:48 slef all those comments against monoliths
09:49 slef eeeeek I've misread the mood of the room
09:49 cait slef: ???
09:49 slef cait: my talk has a Big Idea in the middle of it
09:49 slef I think people will hate it now.
09:50 cait you suggest that all libaries start using ebsco?
09:50 slef Oh well. I will walk off a cliff in front of you all.
09:50 slef No, worse.
09:50 cait uhoh
09:50 cait we all go into worldcat?
09:50 slef that is closer
09:51 cait better pack a parachute ;)
09:51 drojf lol
09:51 medmondson make sure that the camera batteries are full before your talk slef ;)
09:51 slef I think I will spend lunch time reading arguments against worldcat
09:52 drojf i vote for exlibris aleph for everybody. our university library approves :/
09:52 slef to see if I will fall foul of the same complaints.
09:52 slef medmondson: I have 90mins to recharge them before me.
09:52 slef rangi: may I steal your TMs?
09:53 rangi go for it :)
09:53 slef I have also put "Former webmaster" in my biog
09:54 rangi heh
09:55 slef I think that is accurate, isn't it?
09:57 rangi it's entirely accurate
10:00 medmondson some folk werea asking about visiting edinburgh hacklab. Tonight is coffee and code night from about 7.30.  I have sent an email to the list, to alert them to our presence, but will be suprised if we get a reply.  for those that want the info:
10:02 Oak joined #koha
10:03 mtompset How did you get the red underline?
10:14 mtompset gmcharlt++
10:15 mtompset I have wiki access! YAY!
10:20 rangi medmondson: <-- this looks cheesy but fun
10:26 rangi hmm Joubu is trying to win the wine signing off patches!
10:26 slef is that starting early?
10:26 rangi yep :)
10:29 paul_p rangi = FYI = usually, from wed to friday, clrh team -joubu, julian_m and matts work for the community
10:30 medmondson rangi: Some are quite fun apparently.
10:30 medmondson rangi: it reminds me.. I was going to recommend...
10:30 medmondson
10:30 Joubu rangi: The patch was already signed-off, I updated the status. I cheated :)
10:31 slef medmondson: I think S went there yesterday. Pretty good but tour was overbooked (22) and even fully-booked (20) is a bit more than some rooms hold (maybe 15). Still interesting though.
10:33 aguri joined #koha
10:33 rangi i was thinking to maybe do a highlands tour tomorrow http://www.highlandexperience.[…]s.asp?txtTour=171
10:34 cait monsters mountains and massacres - sounds like fun :)
10:34 asaurat joined #koha
10:35 rangi 41 pound, which is alright for me, but maybe too much for some?
10:36 cait I think would be ok for me, the nessi hunter tour is not included i think, but I would like to do it again
10:36 mbalmer joined #koha
10:37 slef you all got your SRU questions ready?
10:37 rangi yup
10:37 rangi well eythian does
10:37 slef Scream and Run Urway
10:37 slef maybe only works in my accent
10:38 rangi heh
10:39 slef that will be more on my talk I think, once I make my suggestion
10:40 slef will you applaud or boo when I say "LibLime was right"?
10:40 cait it depends on how you explain that
10:40 cait I think
10:40 slef anyone find marcelr's library on LibraryThing?
10:42 paul_p not really clear what is included in  http://www.highlandexperience.[…]s.asp?txtTour=171, or I couldn't find where it's described...
10:42 cait paul_p: read the left column down
10:46 paul_p cait = OK, we take the bus. But will there be a guide ? which language ? audio-guide in french ? lunch included for the price ? where the bus start in EDI ?
10:46 cait hm i think we came by the bus stop this morning
10:46 cait i haven't taken the tour before, I think they advertised tours in different languages, so there might be french
10:47 medmondson west highland line is truly wonderful.  (go over the famous 'Harry Potter' viaduct)[…]raction.php?id=79
10:47 rangi oooh
10:50 pastebot "hdl" at pasted "clrh: rpn2solr avec sru enabled" (27 lines) at
10:51 nengard #koha folks - my mom sent me a text asking me to send you all her love :)
10:51 mbalmer joined #koha
10:53 clrh thx hdl :)
10:54 rangi paul_p:[…]i?format=advanced
10:54 rangi can you try a search in french now?
10:54 rangi or any french speaker
10:57 paul_p rangi = much better, except the "Maintenant" ( in the Entre le: field) must be removed or you get no results
10:57 drojf rangi: the highlands tour sounds nice, but does it say somewhere how long it actually takes?
10:57 Oak thank you nengard !
10:57 paul_p it's at the wrong place = in english it's "between ______ AND Now" while in french it's "between Maintenant and _______"
10:58 paul_p drojf = on the right "start 8AM, back around 7PM"
10:58 drojf ah, i'm just blind, thanks
10:58 drojf we would be able to see nessy…
10:59 rangi 8am to 7.30pm drojf
10:59 rangi (there are a few different ones tho, shorter and longer)
10:59 rangi paul_p: ahh ill take that out
10:59 cait varying in prices too
10:59 eythian rangi: the literary pub tour started at 7.30 didn't it?
10:59 rangi i think so
11:00 mbalmer literary pub tour?
11:01 eythian I think it's a pub crawl with a pretence of culture. Exactly my sort of thing!
11:01 matts ^^
11:01 mbalmer tonight?
11:01 wahanui tonight is probably 23rd :)
11:01 eythian Not sure.
11:01 cait forget nonight
11:01 cait forget tonight
11:01 wahanui cait: I forgot tonight
11:01 drojf hm if tour starts at 8am i would not get any breakfast
11:02 rangi i have the brochure for the pub tour by me
11:02 mbalmer so pub stroll tomorrow night?
11:02 cait drojf: grab something on the way? ask for a lunchpack? ;)
11:02 eythian http://www.edinburghliterarypu[…]k/pub_details.php <-- every night
11:02 medmondson pubs on Friday night will be very busy
11:02 mbalmer I see
11:02 drojf cait: they can pack the cooked breakfast :D
11:02 mtompset Wow, that was a serioud read to catch up.
11:02 mtompset serious...
11:02 cait i am sure they can...
11:02 rangi paul_p: is the default removed now?
11:04 paul_p rangi = yes, it work fine now !
11:09 eythian > Did you know that Edinburgh has more pubs per square mile than any other city in Europe?
11:09 eythian excellent!
11:10 drojf <3 edinburgh
11:14 clrh rangi: today the layer provides ability to plug whatever you want - the purpose now is not really solr but adapting/refactoring zebra part - I hope I'll take time to explain during hackfest :)
11:15 cait clrh:  :)
11:15 rangi w00t
11:15 rangi clrh++
11:15 mtompset refactoring?
11:15 wahanui refactoring is not rewriting it is abstracting.
11:16 cait clrh++ :)
11:16 clrh stefano++ too happy to see his work
11:16 rangi clrh: that sounds really great
11:16 rangi yes
11:16 rangi stefano++
11:16 mtompset So, providing a friendlier API?
11:17 cait lunch break here
11:17 cait we will be back :)
11:17 clrh mtompset: sorry I don't know you, are you in edimbourg?
11:17 clrh api exists it can be enhanced (<- can I say that?)
11:18 clrh we'll have lunch, see you
11:19 david_ joined #koha
11:19 medmondson pub:[…]gda_Bar/Edinburgh  very close to teviot and one of the cheapest in Edinburgh.  very popular with real locals
11:21 medmondson s/'real locals'/my friends
11:24 julian_m_ joined #koha
11:24 jwagner joined #koha
11:24 hdl1 joined #koha
11:31 asaurat joined #koha
11:40 mtompset No, I am not.
11:40 mtompset Sorry for a slow reply.
11:40 mtj joined #koha
11:47 mtompset A friendlier API on top of the existing one.
11:49 mtompset Hey, jcamins.
11:49 wahanui jcamins is probably an outstanding cook, well-traveled and brilliant, trying to think of a solution, or the wizard that forges queries in the deep fires of zebra or an authorities expert
11:50 mtompset mtompset
11:50 wahanui you are not.
11:50 edveal joined #koha
11:50 mtompset wahanui
11:50 wahanui mtompset?
11:50 mtompset wahanui?
11:50 wahanui mtompset?
11:50 mtompset slef?
11:50 wahanui slef is not at home so please email kohacon12 AT instead
11:51 jcamins mtompset?
11:51 wahanui i guess mtompset is not.
11:51 jcamins wahanui?
11:51 wahanui yes, jcamins?
11:51 jcamins Huh. "Wahanui" used to have a response like "wahanui is little yet. He needs to learn more. :)"
11:51 mtompset How is it that you got such a colourful descriptor, jcamins?
11:52 jcamins mtompset: it used to be a lot more colorful.
11:53 mtompset jcamins?
11:53 wahanui jcamins is an outstanding cook, well-traveled and brilliant, trying to think of a solution, or the wizard that forges queries in the deep fires of zebra or an authorities expert
11:53 * jcamins looks for an example.
11:53 mtompset who would want to forge queries in the deep fires of zebra?
11:54 pastebot "jcamins" at pasted "What wahanui used to know about me" (1 line) at
11:54 jcamins mtompset: I can't say I'd like to, but I don't really have much of a choice.
11:54 jcamins ;)
11:54 mtompset okay, that makes sense.
11:55 mtompset On a positive note... I got wiki access today!
11:55 jcamins I think cait did the "jcamins is an outstanding cook," then various people added the other bits, and I revised it to use commas instead of ". or" a few months ago.
11:55 jcamins Yay!
11:56 mtompset I've already added a slew of discussion notes to the koha on ubuntu page.
11:57 mtompset I figured since I've never edited a page, I'll let someone else do that.
11:57 jcamins No, you should go ahead and edit the pages. :)
11:57 jcamins It's very easy.
11:57 mtompset I'm worried about busting ir.
11:57 mtompset it
11:57 jcamins You won't.
11:58 jcamins And, if you accidentally screw things up, the change can be reverted.
11:58 medmondson
11:58 jcamins Exactly.
11:59 mtompset I can't seem to get that link to work, medmondson.
12:00 mtompset Is there a back up somewhere?
12:02 jcamins mtompset: I will summarize: "Be bold and edit those wiki pages!:
12:02 jcamins *"
12:02 medmondson hmm I wonder what is wrong with that URL
12:02 jcamins It worked for me.
12:02 mtompset I get timeout errors.
12:02 medmondson well its a common wiki principle
12:02 medmondson be bold, revert is easy
12:03 medmondson the wikipedia URL is a bit too wikipedia specific anyhow
12:03 eythian joined #koha
12:05 mtompset okay... I'm editing... it's just that maybe someone has a love of unp over tar -xvf
12:16 mtompset This is scary... so much change in a single edit.
12:26 aguri joined #koha
12:37 marcelr joined #koha
12:38 rangi jcamins: apparently sip is not working :( can you phone in? or would irc work for questions
12:38 rangi we can put it on the big screen
12:38 rangi and relay questions to you
12:38 alex_a joined #koha
12:38 jcamins I can phone in.
12:38 jcamins Or at least try. :)
12:38 jcamins If not, IRC will work just fine too.
12:38 jcamins I'll just need the phone-in number.
12:39 sekjal joined #koha
12:40 rangi jcamins: eythian is just checking his plan, he thinks he might have cheap international calling
12:40 rangi (we bought O2 simcards)
12:41 rangi so potentially we could call you too
12:41 jcamins I have a calling card which I can combine with VoIP for absurdly low rates. :)
12:41 rangi ahh sweet
12:44 ago43 joined #koha
12:49 nengard joined #koha
12:51 clrh is there a place to share the slides? wiki?
12:52 rangi yep, people have been linking them to their abstracts/talks there
12:52 cait clrh: yep - the wiki woudl be good, on the page with the abstracts
12:52 eythian can we upload to the wiki?
12:52 * eythian finds out
12:52 rangi[…]ohaCon12_Schedule
12:53 tcohen joined #koha
12:53 cait eythian: I think we should be able to, nicole linked her abstracts in, not sure how she did it
12:56 NateC joined #koha
12:57 david_ joined #koha
12:57 eythian You can attach files in the wiki, use the "media files" button.
12:57 eythian at least, I think it's working...
12:59 mtompset GAH!
12:59 mtompset My login timed out, and all my lovely edits were lost.
12:59 jcamins mtompset: if you hit back quickly, you may not have lost them.
12:59 mtompset Yes, this means I have Wiki access. :)
12:59 mtompset Wasn't fast enough.
12:59 mtompset :(
13:00 mtompset Okay, smaller edits.
13:00 mtompset So this doesn't happen again.
13:02 mtompset Good thing a large section was in the discussion page. :)
13:02 sophie_m joined #koha
13:04 kylemhall joined #koha
13:04 nengard joined #koha
13:04 mtompset ARG! Let's try again... editing the wiki is a pain.
13:05 eythian hmm, I appear to not be able to attach the file.
13:05 eythian it just sites there trying to upload forever
13:05 clrh cait: here ?[…]ohaCon12_Schedule ok
13:05 cait yes
13:06 cait hope the uploading works, if not, we will try to figure out something else
13:06 * eythian will just link from somewhere else
13:08 mtompset AH! I hit the wrong key and logged out.
13:09 eythian[…]igrating_to_Koha_.2860_min.29 <-- my slides are linked from here now
13:10 cait thx eythian - eythian++
13:10 cait and ++ for all other speakers linking their slides :)
13:12 cait rangi+
13:12 cait rangi++ even
13:12 rangi hmm?
13:13 talljoy joined #koha
13:13 mtompset Okay... calmer.... wiki edits are ugly, but made it there.
13:14 cait rangi: linking your presentations
13:14 rangi ahh
13:16 jwagner slef or cait, can you link my presentation?
13:16 cait do you have a link to the slides?
13:17 jwagner slef asked me to put it online last week, so it's at[…]DoWhenTheySay.pdf
13:17 slef I'm about to present. Paralysed by fear, as always before I do anything in public
13:17 cait you will do fine
13:17 cait eat some chocolate :P
13:17 rangi you'll be fine
13:18 cait ok, that was mean
13:18 dpavlin slef: don't worry, you are among frineds here :-)
13:18 slef cait: you'll be forcing me chocolate after this!
13:18 cait slef: hm?
13:18 eythian /msg dpavlin you've got the mean songs memorised?
13:18 cait jwagner: it's done, please check it works
13:19 cait slef: perhaps we should get and store all slides somewhere - itwould be nice to have all files in the same place somewhere
13:19 jwagner cait, looks fine, thanks
13:20 eythian cait: ideally you'd upload them to the wiki
13:20 eythian it's just not working for some reason
13:20 eythian (for me, anyway)
13:20 cait I think brooke reported that in the past but were not able to replicate
13:20 jwagner I noticed the other day that the schedule on the wiki wasn't the same as on -- which one is the "final" version?
13:21 cait ah, there should be no schedule on the wiki now
13:21 cait I removed it because both tables got out of sync with changes being made
13:21 cait I am going to give uploading files another try
13:22 dpavlin eythian: I'm not sure I know what wean songs you are refering to? From yesteday?
13:22 drojf cait: seen ?
13:22 wahanui I haven't seen '', drojf
13:22 eythian dpavlin: for singing when slef is presen...never mind, explaining a joke kills it :)
13:22 jcamins TIRTMI!
13:22 jcamins Ohhh.
13:22 jcamins Yeah, that's a good shop.
13:23 jcamins They used to have little samples out. :)
13:23 slef everyone ask lots
13:23 dpavlin eythian: I though that mumble, mumble, grrr, grrr sounds should be enough :-)
13:23 slef you have 35mins to fill
13:23 slef store place good idea
13:23 drojf slef: you've been an excellent host/ presenter so far, don't worry, all will be fine
13:24 slef drojf: awww you're so kind
13:24 slef cmon, 30mins more
13:24 slef get me out of talking
13:24 jwagner slef, There Is No Escape
13:25 slef jwagner: phone in with a q for gbenga
13:25 jwagner ?
13:25 slef ( is not wired in just now)
13:25 drojf eythian: your latex file would give less errors if there were the graphics too ;)
13:26 slef if ppl ask 30mins of questions, we run out of time for me
13:26 jwagner You'll do fine :-)
13:26 drojf slef: we will stay longer for you, don't worry :P
13:26 cait ok
13:26 cait I can upload pdf files to the wiki
13:26 cait going to try eythian's presentation next
13:26 marcelr pdf works, ppt does not
13:27 dpavlin start singing, now!
13:27 eythian drojf: yeah, but there's really not much point in including the graphics, most of it is company logo stuff
13:27 maximep joined #koha
13:27 drojf eythian: yeah just saw that. company and koha logo
13:28 drojf for the bullets
13:28 eythian yeah
13:30 libsysguy joined #koha
13:30 * mtompset cringes at the mention of LaTeX.
13:31 * libsysguy was reading the devel email about scoreboard and wonders how many kittens sekjal and the rest of the QA team have killed
13:32 drojf mtompset: why is that?
13:32 cait ok
13:32 cait uploading files works - please don't check categories!
13:32 jcamins libsysguy: there's a saved search for Failed QA.
13:32 cait I think that might be the problem
13:32 cait don't check categories when uploading files
13:34 eythian mtompset: are you some kind of heathen perhaps?
13:35 * sekjal is actually Dothraki for 'killer of kittens'
13:36 libsysguy touche sekjal
13:40 marcelr libsysguy: you really should hate cats before joining qa team ;)
13:40 rangi hehe
13:41 jcamins Pixel says you're all heathens, and now he's going to hide in a corner.
13:41 mtompset LaTeX is not user friendly.
13:41 marcelr heathens?
13:41 mtompset Powerful.
13:41 mtompset Useful.
13:41 drojf mtompset: i'm a user, it's friendly to me
13:42 jcamins marcelr: yes, you hate cats.
13:42 drojf way more friendly than a word processor ;)
13:42 mtompset When did you first interact with it?
13:42 jcamins mtompset: *TeX* is user-unfriendly. LaTeX isn't too bad.
13:42 * jcamins doesn't do TeX.
13:42 drojf a few years ago
13:42 mtompset I had bad experiences from the 90's. :P
13:43 drojf i bet word processors were even worse then :P
13:43 mtompset I'm sure GUI front-ends have improved.
13:43 mtompset Imagine having to deal with it in a text-only hand-code environment.
13:44 mtompset Unless you know it well, it's ugly.
13:44 mtompset Though, I'll still use it for generating PDF output. ;)
13:45 mtompset Back to wiki edit's before I lose them again.
13:45 jcamins Only seven bugs left to report and assign to myself.
13:47 mtompset isn't that a conflict of interest? ;)
13:48 jcamins mtompset: nah, it's a conflict of interest if I try to claim that my testing is sufficient to conclude that the fixes resolve the bugs.
13:49 clrh rfc++ for a start for documenting feature and test cases (before push) cc nengard
13:51 rangi favourite slide so far
13:51 eythian mtompset: I wrote it in vim, also not user friendly.
13:51 jcamins We report bugs/enhancements for things we're working on so that people know what's going on.
13:51 jcamins clrh: yes, I'll be posting the detailed RFC to the wiki.
13:51 talljoy these sci fi references are over my head rangi
13:51 eythian but both are very fast and efficient, which is what I cared about.
13:51 jcamins Ooh, sci fi references? :)
13:51 rangi thats boba fett, a bounty hunter :)
13:51 talljoy is that a dalek, starwars or startrek
13:51 rangi starwars
13:51 jcamins However, I use bug numbers for tracking.
13:51 talljoy lol...oh.  i should have recognized from the boys lego sets.
13:52 cait heh
14:01 schuster joined #koha
14:08 LBA joined #koha
14:09 schuster What a day yesterday was I hope today will be more successful!  In moving back to community things have been a little bumpy on our own.
14:09 sophie_m joined #koha
14:09 schuster I've had issues mainly with the indexer sucking up disk space...  But I did a test search in Staff and it works, but when I do a test search in Pac I get no items found.  any suggestions?
14:09 jcamins faq?
14:09 wahanui rumour has it faq is found at
14:09 jcamins ^^ there is a question about that problem. :)
14:09 jcamins I think it's opachiddenitems.
14:09 cait schuster: which index tool are you using?
14:10 mib_0dks74 joined #koha
14:11 schuster zebra.
14:12 eythian or opacsuppresssomething
14:12 mtompset dalek is from Dr. Who, talljoy.
14:12 schuster When I look in the Koha_opac_error_log I see this - accept_language(x,y) called with no clientPreferences (x). at /home/koha/kohaclone//C4/ line 331
14:13 mtompset I have a bunch of those flooding my logs too.
14:13 schuster something about language? but I see that double // in front of the C4 which makes me concerned.
14:13 jcamins schuster: you may need to clear your cookies.
14:13 schuster mmm chocolate ones...  Ok will try.
14:13 mtompset Though, it's for the staff client.
14:14 schuster Why would you have those errors in koha-opac-error_log from staff client?
14:14 mtompset no, the accept_language(x,y) mess.
14:15 mtompset its in my koha-error_log
14:15 mtompset I remember tracing it down.
14:15 mtompset but I forget what it was.
14:15 mtompset too mant late nights.
14:15 wizzyrea patch or it didn't happen ;)
14:15 mtompset ^mant^many^
14:20 jcamins Hm. I think I may add a "C & P Authorities Improvements" meta-bug.
14:22 schuster So I turned on the language piece in I8L or whatever that tab is and now get this error - Use of uninitialized value $lang in string eq at /home/koha/kohaclone//C4/ line 336.
14:22 samuel joined #koha
14:22 schuster But where do I select the language?
14:22 samuel hi everybody
14:24 mtompset What version are you running, Schuster?
14:24 wizzyrea hi samuel
14:24 wizzyrea the second question?
14:24 wahanui the second question is "What is the exact error message?"
14:24 eythian joined #koha
14:24 wizzyrea the third question?
14:24 wahanui somebody said the third question was "What version of Koha are you using?"[…]ion-koha-running/
14:25 schuster 3.06.05
14:25 mtompset the first question?
14:25 wahanui "What are you trying to do?"  "What is the goal?" or "What problem are you experiencing?"
14:25 mtompset That's three questions. :P
14:25 eythian they have "or"
14:25 * wizzyrea waves at eythian
14:25 * wizzyrea grins
14:26 schuster  - actually
14:26 schuster Even though I downloaded from the website 3.06.05???
14:26 talljoy1 joined #koha
14:26 jcamins schuster: 3.6.5 was up.
14:27 jcamins Still is.
14:27 jcamins Odd.
14:27 * jcamins will check what's in there.
14:28 wizzyrea perhaps bug 7874?
14:28 huginn` Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=7874 minor, P5 - low, ---, colin.campbell, Pushed to Stable , Templates::get_language generates lots of not defined warnings
14:29 jcamins It's 3.6.5.
14:33 wizzyrea the patch for that is in 3.6.5, but schuster says he has 3.6.4
14:33 wizzyrea or the version is reporting 3.6.4
14:33 schuster OK step back jcamins wins!!!  Evidently in the upgrade it changed the default from Don't Hide to Hide!
14:34 schuster OpacSupression...
14:34 jcamins wizzyrea: no, I mean, the file labeled 3.6.5 is, in fact, 3.6.5.
14:34 schuster whew...
14:34 wizzyrea ! that doesn't seem right schuster.
14:34 jcamins So you might want to re-download 3.6.5, and upgrade to that right away.
14:34 schuster On May 25th I downloaded 3.6.5 from the website and what my about is saying I have 3.6.4
14:35 jcamins schuster: okay, that's weird...
14:35 wizzyrea link wrong maybe?
14:35 jcamins Yeah, I think so.
14:35 schuster OK - well I'm in the middle of my migration to community and have had a few headaches along the way...  So I will "redownload" 3.6.5 soon once I can show it is up and running!
14:36 wizzyrea hm looks ok
14:37 wizzyrea i wonder if schuster downloaded it in that magic moment in between when the file was uploaded and the link was changed
14:37 schuster I downloaded the 3.06.05.tar.gz version.
14:37 wizzyrea i.e. coincidence of timing
14:37 jcamins wizzyrea: yeah, that would make sense.
14:37 schuster My luck of course...
14:37 wizzyrea do you still have the file?
14:37 schuster Ah let me look
14:40 schuster yes I do what do you want to know about it?
14:40 wizzyrea it says 3.06.05?
14:40 wizzyrea .tar.gz?
14:40 schuster yep - koha-3.06.05.tar.gz
14:41 wizzyrea ok that's odd
14:43 mtompset Why is that odd?
14:43 wizzyrea because his install reports it's 3.6.4
14:44 mtompset the unpacked directory and the installed directory aren't the same on a standard installation.
14:44 wizzyrea yes, thanks. I'm making some assumptions that the upgrade itself was completed correctly
14:45 jcamins mtompset: yeah, but if you installed from the 3.6.5 tgz, you should end up with the same version.
14:45 wizzyrea since he said he upgraded it
14:45 wizzyrea it could be that the upgrade itself wasn't completed correctly, and that's why there is a discrepancy
14:46 SJeffery joined #koha
14:46 SJeffery Can anyone confirm that the 008 date fields are NOT used for a general search, but is used when performing an advanced search by date?
14:47 jcamins SJeffery: that is correct.
14:48 jcamins C4::Search--
14:48 rangi jcamins: people are coming back in
14:49 jcamins Not long now. The recorded bit is about ten minutes, and then I'll call in for questions.
14:49 rangi so i think we will be starting in a few
14:50 clrh do you use the term "lis" for library and information science ? I was looking for a name for a twitter list for people related to ils libraries and job related
14:50 rangi yep, that seems to be the common one clrh
14:51 clrh great!
14:52 SJeffery Is there documentation on which MARC fields are searched by each search box/method?
14:52 jcamins SJeffery: there is an out of date table.
14:52 jcamins Somewhere...
14:52 SJeffery Out of date? *prods nicole*
14:52 jcamins http://manual.koha-community.o[…]xes.html#id605897
14:53 jcamins See, what we really need is something that will automatically generate a listing.
14:53 samuel joined #koha
14:53 jcamins That would be a prime example of something that the GRS-1 configuration files do not lend themselves to.
14:53 jcamins DOM, on the other hand, will make that easy.
14:53 mtompset Actually, would the install/upgrade fail if there were missing dependencies?
14:54 banana joined #koha
14:55 schuster I would swear it gave me the report that 3.6.5 was complete, but it is working and I need it "semi" stable before I do ANYTHING to it again...  It has been a rough 3 days.
14:56 mtompset I'm curious as to the output of ./ -m
14:56 jcamins mtompset: nope.
14:56 eythian jcamins: you're almost on :)
14:57 jcamins Yay!
14:57 mtompset AS opposed to being off. ;)
14:57 jcamins I should warn you there are about two and a half seconds of silence at the beginning of the presentation.
14:58 jcamins I couldn't tell if it was recording.
14:58 pastebot "samuel" at pasted "ldap, problems of mapping" (25 lines) at
14:59 jcamins I also apologize if I talked too fast.
15:00 eythian jcamins: slef says thanks for that, it lets him move the video on the screen
15:00 eythian also that your slides will probably get changed at all the wrong moments :)
15:00 jcamins eythian: that's okay.
15:00 nengard joined #koha
15:01 mtompset Well, I'm off. Sounds like I'll miss some fun.
15:02 cait jcamins: you are being announced now
15:02 * mtompset waves bye.
15:02 cait *applause*
15:03 eythian huh, so that's what jcamins looks like...
15:03 cait video is on
15:03 * eythian should pay attention to this
15:03 eythian given I'm always asking about it
15:04 drojf now that i know how to do it i get several presentations about it
15:04 drojf :P
15:04 * chris_n cheers jcamins
15:04 SJeffery Is there a live stream of this anywhere?
15:04 * cait cheers too
15:05 drojf SJeffery: don't think so
15:05 jcamins SJeffery: there is not. However, my presentation is easy to see.
15:05 drojf you will be able to download it later i guess
15:05 cait SJeffery: I think the recordings will be available after the conference
15:05 jcamins I'm e-mailing you the links.
15:05 rangi its going well
15:06 jcamins I kept it very short since I'm about the last presentation on the last day. I figure I can answer as many questions as people have, but I didn't want to push it.
15:07 jcamins SJeffery: I just sent you the links to my presentation, which actually comes in two parts thanks to my impatience with video editing.
15:08 jcamins I think the MPG should play fine with Windows Media Player.
15:10 SJeffery Works:)
15:10 jcamins Errr, it sounds like some of the middle slides are missing.
15:10 jcamins Sorry about that.
15:10 jcamins I think the missing ones were mostly charts of things to think about.
15:10 jcamins I'll upload those a bit later.
15:11 mbalmer joined #koha
15:11 mbalmer re-ola
15:12 * SJeffery just noticed that secontrolnumber is off....that explains a few things
15:12 cait *applause*
15:12 cait time for questions
15:12 * jcamins dials in.
15:16 rangi thanks jcamins
15:16 rangi that was really good
15:16 jcamins My pleasure.
15:16 david_ *virtual applause*
15:16 marcelr jcamins++
15:16 cait yep it was
15:16 eythian jcamins: I hope you'll like your video and slides from the wiki
15:16 cait jcamins++
15:16 eythian it'd be handy to send to people asking about it
15:16 eythian *link
15:16 jcamins eythian: yeah.
15:17 jcamins I had some issues with transcoding, so I didn't manage to upload the files to their final resting place yet.
15:17 eythian ah right
15:18 jcamins tajoli++ # for sending me a copy of his presentation.
15:19 paul_p drupal-opac URL =
15:20 cait debian packages?
15:20 wahanui debian packages are at
15:20 cait packages?
15:20 wahanui somebody said packages was at
15:23 jcamins Bug 8212
15:23 huginn` Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=8212 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, jcamins, ASSIGNED , Omnibus bug report for C & P authority developments
15:24 talljoy1 jcamins.  good presentation.  I liked the funny pause in the middle.  And no worries, we heard every word.  ;-)
15:25 jcamins talljoy1: I realized after getting through the first part that I wasn't actually sure if I'd managed to record it.
15:25 jcamins So I stopped it to check.
15:25 jcamins Then I couldn't figure out how to resume recording.
15:25 nengard left #koha
15:26 jcamins So I just started a new clip.
15:26 talljoy1 whatever works, right?
15:28 mbalmer joined #koha
15:29 kylemhall joined #koha
15:30 nengard joined #koha
15:31 rangi cait:[…]/3.8.x-dailybuild
15:31 cait thx
15:32 * jcamins munches on a couple of German biscotti.
15:33 banana left #koha
15:34 * talljoy1 looks for biscotti   <.<     >.>
15:36 jcamins clrh: around?
15:36 kylehall joined #koha
15:36 marcelr 1,5m before me; listening :-)
15:37 clrh jcamins: yep!
15:37 jcamins marcelr: oh, I thought I was the very last presentation. Guess I got confused.
15:38 jcamins clrh: I wanted to let you know that as part of bug 7417 and bug 8211 I'll be doing more clean up of C4::Search, moving things over to Koha::Search::Engine.
15:38 huginn` Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=7417 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, jcamins, NEW , Include alternate forms from authorities in bibliographic searches
15:38 huginn` Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=8211 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, jcamins, ASSIGNED , Add "subject (broader)," "subject (narrower)," and "subject (related)" options for search
15:38 jcamins Oops, need to adjust 7417 to ASSIGNED.
15:38 clrh jcamins: great, I have to share last works we done with you and others at hackfest
15:39 mbalmer biblibre++ for the Drupal module!
15:39 clrh juste "moving" can be not suffisant
15:39 clrh suffisant = enougth(sorry)
15:40 jcamins clrh: sufficient is an English word too. :)
15:40 jcamins clrh: I'm not *just* moving.
15:40 clrh :)
15:40 jcamins In order to move code to Koha::Search, it has to be cleaned up a lot, or it won't work in its new home.
15:41 kyleh_ joined #koha
15:41 clrh jcamins: ++
15:41 clrh clean clean ;)
15:41 jcamins I am not entirely rewriting C4::Search, but better to have somewhat icky (but not as icky as what we have now!) code in Koha:: and the ability to introduce solr, than wait until someone has the time to entirely rewrite the Zebra interface.
15:43 clrh ô icky new word for me :)
15:44 wizzyrea so when you need to explain the internet to people, you can use this video:[…]ded&v=WwyJGzZmBe8
15:44 kylemhall joined #koha
15:44 jcamins clrh: disgusting/ugly/bad.
15:44 clrh yep I saw
15:44 kyleh_ joined #koha
15:44 mgeist joined #koha
15:45 clrh but why cleaning it into Koha:: and not C4:: for the moment?
15:45 eythian[…]ack/dp/0140502416 <-- wizzyrea, also this book
15:45 nengard left #koha
15:45 wizzyrea :P
15:46 jcamins clrh: because we want to separate the code.
15:46 marcelr kohacon12 closed
15:47 rangi now we have to figure out what we are doing tonight
15:47 jcamins clrh: we could create a C4::Search::Engine* but that would just make things even messier, and wouldn't reduce circular dependencies.
15:47 wizzyrea pubs!
15:47 mbalmer pubs
15:47 mbalmer more pubs
15:47 wizzyrea maybe some pubs.
15:48 clrh yes but if you write into Koha:: you/we will maybe have to rewrite it
15:48 jcamins clrh: if I write into C4, it'll still have to be rewritten.
15:49 SJeffery jcamins: Very nice presentation
15:49 jcamins clrh: my goal is to have things work, improve the quality of the code, and get solr into 3.12, if not 3.10.
15:49 jcamins SJeffery: thanks.
15:49 jcamins clrh: I have funding to do some work now. I think it's better to do it right from the start.
15:49 jcamins If we use C4::Search::Engine, that means we'll have to use C4::Search.
15:50 jcamins Which means that we will have to load the entire C4:: menagerie every time we want to do a search.
15:51 jcamins I'd rather clean up some code as part of this project, but if you're planning on doing all the refactoring, I can leave it as it is in C4. ;)
15:52 jcamins (I mean, not you personally, that would be too much... just if you had a plan for it all)
15:52 sophie_m left #koha
15:53 Joubu Drink for me at pubs !
15:53 Joubu bye
15:55 jcamins Enjoy the pubbing. :)
15:58 melia joined #koha
15:59 hdl1 jcamins: any RFC link for C&P devs ?
16:02 jcamins hdl1: not yet. I'll be sending them out shortly.
16:02 jcamins Well, probably tomorrow.
16:02 clrh (sorry jcamins I am talking with Stefano)
16:03 jcamins clrh: no problem. :)
16:05 mbalmer joined #koha
16:09 zioha joined #koha
16:17 clrh ok jcamins I read
16:17 clrh I will share you the result of hackfest :)
16:17 clrh we will drink and eat and
16:17 clrh have a good evening
16:18 jcamins ENjoy.
16:18 jcamins *Enjoy
16:39 brylie joined #koha
16:43 slef ta jcamins_away
16:50 Morthland joined #koha
16:50 Morthland Is there a way to add a font to the patron card creator?
16:58 SJeffery Did anyone ever get around to arrange a Koha users gathering at ALA?
17:04 slef SJeffery: is ALA now?
17:05 SJeffery It starts about the 21st
17:08 rangi Thanks slef
17:09 drojf1 joined #koha
17:12 slef rangi: np. did you want the o2 leaflet too?
17:13 slef rangi: lucky you stuck it to something with your number on ;)
17:13 rangi Yeah!
17:13 slef SJeffery: ah then I've not seen nothing yet
17:23 mle back to teviot soon. anupne there?
17:23 mle slef where are you at? ia anyone about
17:29 bag left #koha
17:29 bag joined #koha
17:32 SJeffery Maybe we could get one of the vendors to organize it? *prods bywater*
17:51 slef mle: soory no... doctors may contain nuts
17:53 slef SJeffery: I think we distracted bywater with kohacon12. Try asking NateC when he says hi or use @later tell NateC whatever
17:53 slef SJeffery: why don't the users organise users meetups?
17:54 * slef is ignorant co-op worker
17:54 SJeffery For the usual reason: lack of time/ability/desire to organize it :)
17:55 slef sooo if there is not enough desire, why would a vendor...?
17:55 wizzyrea if you have no desire to organize it why would anyone attend?
17:56 SJeffery On the part of the individual, not the collective group...someone always has to spend the time
17:56 slef so club together, hire a vendor to organise it?
17:57 slef else you all just pay more for them to gamble
17:57 slef and get less say about the meeting
17:57 * wizzyrea is not going to ALA this year
17:58 SJeffery I can put something together in the next few days...probably something along the lines of "get together this or that room/location and chat about Koha"
17:58 slef but I don't know... all these library confs seem like they overcharge vendors who then just overcharge libraries...
17:58 SJeffery so true
17:58 * wizzyrea would probably find a restaurant and enjoy talking about koha with food and booze.
17:58 slef ah so is there no charge from ALA for the meetup?
17:58 mle anyone still in town?
17:59 SJeffery IIRC ala is something like $10k/booth
17:59 slef mle: probably
17:59 wizzyrea slef: not if you do the meetup in the hallway track :P
17:59 SJeffery Right, I was thinking something informal to just allow people to get together and hang out
17:59 * mle wonders where
17:59 wahanui wonders is it is too early on Sunday for Koha db questions?  lol
18:00 slef I have rangi's number but I'm sure he is doing a beer tour starting at the beehive (?) 1930 and they maxed out the number of free places
18:00 mle slef ty for taking the eusa laptop
18:01 * mle goes home
18:01 slef mle: tried the doctors?
18:01 slef I think the hard part is in town AND online
18:02 slef wahanui: it is far too early on Sunday
18:02 wahanui ...but it is confusing for someone to be working on a bug and the assignee field is either wrong or blank...
18:02 wizzyrea forget it
18:02 wahanui wizzyrea: I forgot it
18:02 slef wahanui: I don't care!
18:02 wahanui slef: sorry...
18:02 slef wizzyrea: you brain surgeon you
18:03 bag yup ALA charges if you want a meeting room
18:03 bag I won't be attending ALA..
18:03 bag The best way is to have a meetup at a pub ;)
18:03 slef mle: soooo... I suggested the koha vendors needed to merge or form a cartel... and they laughed at me :/
18:05 bag There is some money left over from Kudos conference - That vtl was thinking about using to have a little get together (but I don't know the status of that)
18:05 bag schuster may have a better idea on that too
18:05 slef bag: and then you have to charge libraries more and then libraries have to cut costs and close branches and fire librarians... and who is ALA meant to be helping exactly?
18:05 mle just laughed or did you manage to ellicita reason?
18:05 bag I agree slef
18:05 bag seems to be helping themselves (ALA that is)
18:05 slef mle: just laughed at that bit... but we got reactions later
18:07 wajasu joined #koha
18:13 slef bag: librarians, please take control of your association?
18:13 bag PLEASE
18:14 slef it's very tempting to say that loudly... but also damaging to one's own business :(
18:14 mle slef it needs to be said/suggested in a low threatening manner
18:15 slef mle: yeah I'm as subtle as a molotov
18:15 bag I don't totally agree…  we're not like other vendors - librarians are the star…  ALA was great to attend when I worked the circ desk, etc…
18:15 bag but now you've summed it up well…  more librarian control ;)
18:16 mle bag: ok how to get there?
18:16 slef I guess there are pro managers at ALA
18:17 bag ALA has pro managers (field officers I think they are called)….  Most of the round tables and actual talks/programs are mostly librarian run..
18:17 bag BUT ALA does have a bottomline number they need to keep up ;)
18:18 wizzyrea I'm sure running the conference itself isn't cheap.
18:18 slef wizzyrea: who knows? Do ALA members see the conference budget afterwards?
18:18 slef or any summary of it, more likely
18:19 slef you don't need to know that someone paid £10 for a last-minute box of paperclips because they were lost in transit
18:20 wizzyrea don't get me wrong I'm not defending it
18:20 mle i reckon we could do a green version in a big tent and make it fun, green and cheap.
18:20 slef you do need to know how much the conference is taking out of libraries
18:20 slef mle: kohacon 2022?
18:20 mle no silly hotel costs
18:21 slef mle: silly heater costs? Have you seen the weather outside?
18:21 * slef waits for the gag about slef and hot air...
18:21 mle[…]fm?pageid=ga-home
18:22 * slef is happily disappointed
18:22 jwagner slef, wait for it....
18:22 slef so who runs ALA? Librarians or officers?
18:23 mle i met investment banker who was raving about a connference he went to at green and awY. he had never slept i a tent before
18:23 slef yeah not sure I have since I was 7... I should not be so negative
18:24 mle quote they even had shpwers in a tent.
18:24 mle anyhow... bbl
18:24 wizzyrea[…]onhistory/history
18:24 slef tata
18:25 wizzyrea haha
18:25 wizzyrea The aim of the Association, in that resolution, was "to enable librarians to do their present work more easily and at less expense."
18:25 wizzyrea ohh kayyy
18:25 slef is that glamping
18:25 slef wizzyrea: yeah and in reality? ;)
18:25 mleaway uberglamping
18:25 wizzyrea "to give librarians a chance to look and feel important in the presence of their peers?"
18:25 slef wizzyrea: I can point to co-ops that say one thing and maybe do another
18:26 * wizzyrea is a terrible cynic
18:26 wizzyrea anyway bye ;)
18:26 slef ok ttfn wizzyrea
18:37 Ccorrales joined #koha
18:56 umbridge joined #koha
18:56 VoreiHpeiroths joined #koha
19:40 libsysguy left #koha
19:50 libsysguy joined #koha
19:51 libsysguy joined #koha
20:01 wajasu joined #koha
20:03 wajasu when doing a git dev install, for v3.08.01 i get DateTime::TimeZone 1.26 module required, and I have 1.20.  What is the best what to get the 1.26 version? cpan? or deb pkg from?
20:09 wajasu i did a git -b my381 v3.08.01  to hopefully be alligned with debian squeeze.  i already have the koha-common pkg installed.
20:10 libsysguy how did you install it the first time wajasu?
20:15 wajasu i build a virgin debian vm. i installed   apt-get install koha-common  and editing and things worked.  now i did a git clone, and want to do  perl Makefile.PL
20:16 wajasu makefile.PL reports that I need 1.26.     I used the debian netinst ISO.
20:18 wajasu should i had the debian wheezy repo and do   apt-cache libdatetime-perl    then  apt-get install libdatetime-perl=1.26  (or 1.46)?
20:19 wajasu or should i add the squeeze-dev  repo?
20:20 wajasu squuze-dev is technically pre wheezy i think.
20:20 wizzyrea you can't apt-get install libdatetime-timezone-perl
20:21 wizzyrea oh nm you said it's got a version mismatch
20:21 wajasu yeah
20:26 wajasu i just wonder what repo has version 1.26 and why my git -b my381 v3.08.01   working branch requires it to build.
20:26 dpavlin I'm running on squeeze using DateTime::TimeZone 1.20
20:27 wizzyrea yea, same
20:27 wizzyrea typo maybe?
20:27 dpavlin[…]Zone-1.46/Changes doesn't list anything which I should be warried about between 1.20 and 1.26 ;-)
20:30 kathryn joined #koha
20:32 dpavlin It's hard to say. Dependecy was introduced in Bug 5549 together with bunch of others...
20:32 huginn` Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=5549 enhancement, P1 - high, ---, chris, Pushed to Stable , Hourly Loans
20:33 * dpavlin hm! It seems that commit message (which I got using git blame C4/Installer/ references wrong bug...
20:35 dpavlin Anyhow, I would probably decreate version to 1.20 to make squeeze happy (see git show c82d114f)
20:35 dpavlin s/decreate/decrease/
20:35 wajasu i'll go that route.
20:38 schuster joined #koha
20:39 wizzyrea imagemagick?
20:39 wizzyrea graphicsmagick?
20:39 wahanui graphicsmagick is, like, avaliable in package form for the following Operating Systems: Version 1.1.11 in Lenny, 1.3.12 in Squeeze, 1.3.5 in Sid and Ubuntu Lucid. Regarding the update message, all Koha functions still work even if you only have Version 1.1.11
20:39 SJeffery joined #koha
20:39 wizzyrea see, there's a version mismatch here too, but everything still works
20:39 wizzyrea and there was a bit of an outrage over lowering the versoin.
20:39 wizzyrea version.
20:39 wahanui hmmm... version is wrong
20:39 wizzyrea forget version
20:39 wahanui wizzyrea: I forgot version
20:40 schuster I have a question about zebraindexing...  I've been doing some work with it now for 3 days and realized today that it was spinning a bunch of lines as it "sort/merges"
20:40 pastebot "schuster" at pasted "Is this indicitive of a memory type leak?" (17 lines) at
20:41 schuster I think last night when it died I thought it was disc space, but I was only at 80% - today in watching this I had a TON of these lines...
20:42 schuster I'm on Version 3.06.04 ...
20:51 dpavlin schuster: do you have anything useful in /var/log/koha/*/zebra-error.log ?
21:03 schuster let me check
21:05 schuster nothing but "stopping" messages which would be normal.
21:06 dpavlin strange. kill all processes and hope that you won't run out of disk space again. zebra does need quite a bit of space to do full reindex...
21:06 dpavlin and once it dies it can produce a lot of hanging processes since we run incremental update via cron.
21:07 schuster the koha-zebradaemon-output.log has 109661 lines of warn ir_session (exception)
21:08 schuster I thought originally it was disk, but then today I saw all of these "Zebra"  fatal messages when I did ps -ef pages among pages as noted in the paste...
21:09 schuster Luckily my index of 277,000 bibs actually completed today so we can move forward with community otherwise my tail was on the line and my boss was ready to....
21:09 schuster I didn't have problems with this during my testing on  3.06.05 has been my nemisis so far but we LOVE the features.
21:11 wizzyrea schuster did you turn off the zebraqueue cron when you did your indexing?
21:12 wizzyrea maybe the extras are your backed up zebraqueue cronjobs
21:12 paul_p joined #koha
21:16 schuster No I didn't so ???  maybe...  The install instructions though don't say anything about that and what was in the list are like 5-10 every minute.
21:29 wajasu has anyone seen this before after perl makefile.PL, make,make test, make install, then /etc/init.d.apache2 restart -->
21:29 wajasu apache2: Syntax error on line 230 of /etc/apache2/apache2.conf: Syntax error on line 32 of /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/koha: E
21:29 wajasu xpected </cql2rpn>/root/koha-dev/etc/ze​bradb/</cql2rpn> but saw </server>
21:34 maximep left #koha
21:35 maximep joined #koha
21:35 maximep left #koha
21:37 mgeist Whoot! quitting time.  Cyall on the morrow.
21:45 wajasu my bad i symbolicly linked the wrong file.  koha-conf.xml instead of koha-httpd.conf
21:45 wajasu tab completion was not my friend that time
21:48 slef ah so?
21:48 wahanui rumour has it ah so is there no charge from ALA for the meetup
21:57 wajasu ok. my git env is setup using /root/koha-dev  and /root/kohaclone  but i get forbidden!  You don't have permission to access / on this server
21:57 slef wajasu: check your apache configs, particularly <Directory ...> sections. You may find it easier to try again in /home somewhere.
21:58 wajasu ok
21:58 slef many webserver setups are cautious about serving from /root or /etc or /usr because they often contain sensitive files
21:58 slef you can reconfigure it, but maybe it is a bad idea...
22:00 wajasu just as quick to start again.  should i be running as a " koha" user account? or such?  thats what might be missing from the INSTALL instructions.
22:01 slef well some user not used for another purpose, I think
22:02 slef you may be right that INSTALL assumes people create a new login for a new web app... not strictly necessary but maybe a good idea
22:03 wajasu i always used to get in trouble with perms and zebra.  we will see this time around.
22:05 slef oh that is easily done... not too hard to fix with some chown commands... or make much worse
22:05 slef is there a reason you are not installing the koha-common*deb packages?
22:07 wajasu i did successfully with a noninteractive shell script that builds a kvm image.  no i am adding git dev support for patch support.
22:07 wajasu s/no/now/
22:08 slef oh right
22:09 wajasu i'm trying to align with the apache-shared stuff. (i.e. reuse the mysql/apache stuff.
22:16 atmanning can anyone point me to a faq or instructions about why I see zero items added when I import MARC records?    Here's my output: Number of records added973 Number of records updated0 Number of records ignored0 Number of items added0 Number of items ignored because of duplicate barcode0
22:16 atmanning this is a fresh install on Debian squeeze, Koha v 3.8 (koha-commons via apt-get)
22:17 wajasu have you run the zebra indexer?
22:17 atmanning I thought the import was supposed to add the items...  does this mean my imported marc records are showing zero items?
22:17 wajasu or if its in cron, wait until it runs?
22:18 atmanning where is the indexer found?
22:18 atmanning nothing found under /var/spool/cron/crontab
22:19 wajasu there is a section in INSTALL.debian than mentions how to set it up.
22:20 atmanning i followed this guide:[…]on_Debian_Squeeze    where do I find those install instructions?
22:20 wajasu did you install koha-common or koha?
22:21 atmanning koha-common per the wiki instructions
22:21 slef blurgh, I must sleep soon, but where did the MARC records come from and do they have 952 tags?
22:22 atmanning pulled them out of a working Winnebago library system.   I don't have a clue about the tags.  I saw some things about a MARC editor that I suppose I could read through - I'd be happy with a mysql query to update an item count somewhere...
22:23 slef yeah you probably need to make the Koha holdings tags
22:23 atmanning did a MARC export of 900 records
22:23 slef there is a sort-of standard for holdings info in tag 852 but I think it is deprecated and koha uses tag 952 anyway
22:24 slef let me get you the layout of tag 952... then I must sleep
22:24 slef @marc 952
22:24 wahanui The 952 field is used by Koha to store item data in MARC21 and is described at[…]_fields_%289xx%29
22:24 huginn` slef: unknown tag 952
22:24 atmanning I'd like to try that zebra index thing... looking for it in /usr/share/koha/bin/??
22:25 wajasu i wrote a program way back, that added one item per in the 952 prior to import, as well as set other things.
22:25 slef and I am sorry but it is not as simple as a mysql query... you need items added through the Koha API somehow... and updating the MARC before import is probably the simplest
22:26 slef (I think adding an item updates 2 or maybe more tables, plus gets sent to the zebra indexing server)
22:26 atmanning I was afraid of that... I think I found the index thing under migration tools --- that seems like an illogical place if it supposed to run all the time
22:27 slef there is an inglorious historical reason for it... but I think it is in the INSTALL instructions
22:27 atmanning I still haven't found those instructions.... grrr...
22:28 slef errr
22:28 slef did you install from the debian package or the tar.gz?
22:28 mtj atmanning:  ./INSTALL.debian
22:29 mtj atmanning:  cron files are in /etc/cron.d
22:29 atmanning debian package via apt-get koha-commons ... looking for those crons...
22:30 mtj cat /etc/cron.d/koha-common
22:31 slef if it is the debian package, it will (should) do the INSTALL steps for you
22:31 mtj $ dpkg -L koha-common | grep cron.d
22:32 atmanning those crons are there.... I'll check for logs next - thanks for the help... gotta go eat before I starve to death
22:33 mtj $ koha-rebuild-zebra your-koha
22:35 atmanning what's the best way to confirm whether items have been added to my catalog?
22:36 slef is the problem lack of items or lack of all search resutls?
22:36 slef look up something with an item available in the catalogue?
22:37 atmanning grr.. did a report on catalog statistics - zero items.... I think I'll go back to the MARC records and check that 952 field
22:38 atmanning lack of items and lack of search results too... the koha-rebuild-zebra script didn't complain
22:40 * slef falls asleep...bbl
22:44 mtj atmanning:  theres 2 basic parts to your problem...
22:44 mtj 1) is your zebrasrv process running?
22:44 mtj 2) did your zebraidx work successfully?
22:46 mtj well, and a 3rd part too...
22:47 mtj 3) did your marc records import successfully
22:47 mtj .
22:48 atmanning yes, yes, and yes but Marc results (above) show all processed but no items added - I manually added items but I would rather set the item count to 1 on all records for the import
22:49 mtj ... if your marc records didnt import ok, then the searching or indexing of those non-existent records wont work, either :)
22:49 atmanning It looks like I have to find a way to edit the MARC redords and put a 1 in the 952 tag somehow...
22:50 mtj your winnebago marc records dont yet contain the needed $952 item-level fields, for koha
22:51 mtj yes, you need to create correct $952 info for your records *before* import into Koha
22:51 atmanning that sounds right ... I was hoping the import would set the item count to 1 ..
22:52 atmanning now to figure out how to batch modify my marc export file...   any pointers?
22:53 mtj nope, Koha will not auto-magically create items for your itemless marc records
22:53 atmanning looks like I'll have to figure out how to get the marc edit to do a search and insert
22:54 mtj i use perl for that task , some people use a win32 app called marc-edit
22:55 jcamins_away atmanning: koha-rebuild-zebra will only complain if the records are corrupted, and it takes talent to import corrupt records.
22:55 wajasu i wrote a program in java to do this for me.  i also had isbn records in my legacy library db, and queried a list of z3950 servers to get more biblio info. i'm going to have to contrib that one day.
22:56 wajasu it took two days to query servers for just 1500 records, since the servers seemed throttled ;)
22:57 wajasu i mean 15000 records.
22:58 wajasu what about
22:58 mtj youknow... a really nice project would be script - that converted many other ILS marc records to koha's $952 format
22:59 mtj $ --source-format=winnebago --input=winny.mrc --output=koha.mrc
23:00 mtj $ --source-format=dynix --input=winny.mrc --output=koha.mrc
23:00 mtj etc...
23:01 jcamins_away druthb's migration toolbox?
23:01 jcamins_away druthb's migration toolbox is amazing
23:01 jcamins_away druthb's migration toolbox is also
23:01 wahanui okay, jcamins_away.
23:02 jcamins_away druthb's migration toolbox?
23:02 wahanui druthb's migration toolbox is, like, amazing or
23:03 wajasu yeah. i coded it in java 3 years ago.  it read all the records into a hsql database, and allowed sql queries and matched to z3950 servers, and other smarts like utf8 normalization.
23:03 wajasu good to know there is another solution
23:05 mtj jcamins_away:  nice!
23:06 mtompset joined #koha
23:06 mtompset Hello, #koha. :)
23:10 mtj catalyst's would be a great start, then add some feature to create a new mapping via a yaml file?
23:11 jcamins_away mtj: I prefer druthb's scripts... they're a lot more flexible.
23:11 mtj $ --mapping-file=dynix.yaml --input=dynix.mrc --output=koha.mrc
23:13 mtompset What's being discussed?
23:21 mtj jcamins_away:  more flexible than the script...?
23:22 jcamins_away mtj: that's what I find, yeah.
23:22 mtj see - a general script would help newcomers to koha solve a big problem....
23:23 jcamins_away mtj: agreed.
23:23 mtj (as atmanning has just demonstrated to us)
23:23 jcamins_away mtj: I was thinking maybe we should be able to import using the CSV profiles feature.
23:23 mtj hmm, what is that?
23:23 wahanui well, that is maybe broken
23:24 mtompset wahanui forget that
23:24 wahanui mtompset: I forgot that
23:24 jcamins_away CSV profiles? Look in the administration section.
23:30 LBA joined #koha
23:31 mtj ah, gotcha  :)
23:34 mtj atmanning: can you paste a winnebago marc record please?  ->
23:38 papa joined #koha
23:54 cait-m_ joined #koha
23:57 jcamins_away cait-m_! What are you doing up?!?

| Channels | #koha index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | plain, newest first | summary