IRC log for #koha, 2011-02-07

All times shown according to UTC.

Time S Nick Message
00:15 Ahmuck_ joined #koha
01:18 Ahmuck__ joined #koha
01:19 Ahmuck_ left #koha
01:38 ronald is Mason around?
01:39 rangi havent seen him today ronald
01:55 Ahmuck__ left #koha
02:17 mtj ronald:  heya i'm about, now...
02:17 mtj whats up?
02:18 mtj doing tax stuff this arvo… :/
02:33 druthb joined #koha
02:33 druthb left #koha
02:48 Brooke_ joined #koha
02:48 Brooke_ kia ora
02:48 Brooke_ hey rangi, better bribe me mum, bro
02:49 Brooke_ she says no yeah buddy waiata on the 2pt conversion...
03:00 ronald left #koha
03:02 Brooke_ ooof
03:03 Brooke_ game over, mate.
03:25 Brooke_ left #koha
03:29 eythian left #koha
03:30 eythian joined #koha
03:43 kmkale joined #koha
03:44 kmkale Namaskar #koha
03:45 mtj heya Koustubha
03:52 kmkale hi mtj
04:36 kmkale left #koha
04:40 kmkale joined #koha
05:13 kmkale left #koha
05:31 snail joined #koha
05:31 snail morning all
05:32 kmkale joined #koha
06:20 thd-away is now known as thd
06:22 thd is now known as thd-away
06:56 francharb joined #koha
06:57 francharb hello alll
06:58 rangi hi francharb
07:33 * mtj has his tax stuff all done :)
07:58 hdl joined #koha
08:04 kf joined #koha
08:04 kf good morning #koha
08:07 paul_p joined #koha
08:10 kf morning paul_p
08:10 paul_p morning kf
08:11 paul_p breaking news kf :we organise a "European debugguing sprint week" in April, here in Marseille, for 3.4, from april 4th to 8th. Public announcement coming soon, you can already note this week on you agenda ;-)
08:12 hudsonbot Starting build 344 for job Koha_Master (previous build: SUCCESS)
08:12 rangi cool
08:12 rangi speaking of debugging
08:13 rangi[…]4&hide_resolved=1
08:13 rangi quite a few of these have been merged into master now, if you could test and mark resolved that would be great
08:13 paul_p hi rangi
08:14 paul_p mmm... rangi, how do you get this showdependancytree (can't find the link on show_bug.cgi?id=5574)
08:15 paul_p ok, link found
08:15 huginn New commit(s) kohagit: Merge branch 'new/bug_5277' into kcmaster <[…]64c319a16e3846e8c>
08:15 kf paul_p: cool :)
08:15 rangi im doing that with all your branches
08:16 rangi building up a dependency tree and bugs for each feature/bug
08:16 paul_p splitting our split in smaller splits, I understand ;-)
08:16 sophie_m joined #koha
08:16 rangi well splitting and combining
08:16 rangi eg
08:17 rangi[…]04dfbac882744c3df
08:32 marcelr joined #koha
08:35 huginn New commit(s) kohagit: Bug 5699: don't discard $3 when building a record (UNIMARC specific) <[…]fce0a7b8222b6d5fd>
08:36 hudsonbot Project Koha_Master build #344: SUCCESS in 24 min: http://hudson.koha-community.o[…]/Koha_Master/344/
08:36 hudsonbot Mason James: (bug 5277) (HEAD) cant search by barcode in OPAC search-page
08:37 hudsonbot Starting build 345 for job Koha_Master (previous build: SUCCESS)
08:46 kf !hudsonbot botsnack cookie
08:46 hudsonbot kf did you mean me? Unknown command 'bot'
08:46 hudsonbot Use !hudsonhelp to get help!
08:46 kf !hudson botsnack cookie
08:46 hudsonbot kf: great! yum yum. I just love cookie!
08:46 magnuse joined #koha
08:47 magnuse kia ora, #koha
08:53 snail mōrena, magnuse
08:54 * magnuse googles
08:54 magnuse "good morning"?
08:59 kf god morgen magnus :)
08:59 snail magnuse: indeed, transliteration of 'morning'
09:00 magnuse cool!
09:00 magnuse guten morgen, kf
09:01 hudsonbot Project Koha_Master build #345: SUCCESS in 24 min: http://hudson.koha-community.o[…]/Koha_Master/345/
09:01 hudsonbot Paul Poulain: Bug 5699: don't discard $3 when building a record (UNIMARC specific)
09:05 snail left #koha
09:17 huginn New commit(s) kohagit: Bug 5700: MT4004 : Some Status were not defaulted to the correct value... <[…]e69c4d05056618124>
09:27 hudsonbot Starting build 346 for job Koha_Master (previous build: SUCCESS)
09:34 druthb joined #koha
09:34 druthb happy Monday, #koha.  :)
09:35 kf happy monday??
09:36 kf hi druthb :)
09:36 druthb hehehe...
09:36 mtj heyazz, very happy monday for me
09:36 kf because it's almost over? ;)
09:37 mtj nah, i've sorted/paid all my tax stuff for the last 2 years
09:38 mtj $stress_level—
09:38 druthb yay!
09:38 mtj … and about to splurge on some linode VMs
09:39 druthb I got a bunch of organizing done over the weekend, too, and tossed out piles of scribbly paper notes, so my $stress_level--, too.
09:39 kf hmpf.
09:39 * mtj hive-fives druthb
09:40 druthb It's not *that* big a thing, but it sure feels good, don't it?
09:41 mtj tax-returns  or scribbly-paper tossing?
09:41 mtj kidding ;)
09:41 kmkale yo druthb yahhy monday is that thingi like oxymoron or some such
09:42 kmkale s/yahhy/happy/
09:43 druthb for some people, certainly, kmkale.  For me, not so much; They're sometimes stressful and busy, but I try really hard to be the happiest person I know.  (And that's an internal decision, not a reaction to externalities.)
09:43 mtj oooh, VM hosting performance (with graphs)
09:43 rangi linode rules
09:43 kmkale :)
09:43 mtj[…]rmance-comparison
09:43 rangi rocksolid
09:43 druthb I'm a big fan of linode; I've used 'em for a number of small projects here and there.
09:44 mtj yeah, im going that way chris
09:44 mtj … and the best bang-for-buck
09:45 mtj rangi: 32 or 64 bit kernel, on linode?
09:45 mtj any prefs?
09:45 rangi i run 64
09:46 druthb I've done some dev works, approvals and such, on web stuff, it's decent.  You can't run herkin big services there, but for little db-based apps, wordpress, CMS stuff, it's nice, because you pay as you go for what you use.  Not a full vm, but not a cpanel host, either, kinda in between.
09:47 mtj ok, i read somewhere 32-bit might be more lean, for a small memory config?
09:48 mtj i wanna try running a small demo koha, on a linode
09:48 * magnuse has been quite happy with slicehost so far, but should take another look at those stats...
09:49 mtj linode is better/cheaper than slicehost
09:49 magnuse yeah, looks like it
09:49 mtj and more RAM
09:50 rangi im running hudson, bugzilla, the pastebot and infobot, as well as downloads.koha-community
09:50 rangi on my small linode
09:50 druthb We've been using Rackspace, and there have been some uptime issues.  I am not fond of their fixed-size systems...if you need a huge disk, you have to buy huge cpu and memory to go with.  my loader server doesn't need a huge CPU, just lots and lots of workbench area.
09:51 hudsonbot Project Koha_Master build #346: SUCCESS in 23 min: http://hudson.koha-community.o[…]/Koha_Master/346/
09:51 hudsonbot Paul Poulain: Bug 5700: MT4004 : Some Status were not defaulted to the correct value Status 0 was lost because test was done on value and not on the fact that a value was defined or not. when value is 0 then it was not used as default value for
09:52 mtj i worked on a client's rackspace box, and it was sooo slow, i got ssh timeouts constantly
09:52 * magnuse never had trouble with that on slicehost
09:52 druthb I've not had that problem with ours, but we've had some panicky times when their servers act up and have to be rebooted.
09:52 mtj its out-of-the-box config was borked too
09:53 mtj its = rackspace
09:53 kmkale i am using rackspace. and frankly i am happy with it.
09:56 mtj this rackspace was running landscape, which was causing a 3 minute hang after ssh login :/
09:56 mtj[…]vantage/landscape
09:57 mtj anyhoo, thats the only experience ive had with RS...
09:57 * magnuse looks for a way to see the results of the kohacon vote, but can't find it
09:58 rangi has it closed?
09:58 mtj surely not
09:58 rangi nope 17th
10:02 magnuse i just wanted to see the current standing - but guess that won't be available before it has closed
10:06 * kmkale would like a peek at current standings too ;)
10:06 chris_n` joined #koha
10:06 chris_n is now known as Guest564
10:06 chris_n` is now known as chris_n
10:09 * mtj mods the koha wiki page...
10:09 mtj[…]5&oldid=412006237
10:12 Guest564 left #koha
10:14 kmkale both branches have a very large active team???
10:15 mtj lol, yeah that stuff should go
10:16 mtj someones probably sneaked the harley details in as relevant, i think…
10:17 mtj i want to make an april fools joke release of Koha , called 'Furby'
10:18 kmkale brb
10:18 kmkale left #koha
10:18 mtj KohaAloha, NZ releases what it considers to be a stable release of Koha, called 'Furby'…
10:20 * druthb is not gonna release a fork named after her pet.  "Captain Midnight" is a screwy name for a release.  :)
10:22 kmkale joined #koha
10:22 * magnuse would have to relase 3 forks, Rosa, Benoni and Lina... nah, sounds like too much work ;-)
10:23 druthb keeping up with more than one fork at a time is *hard work*.
10:23 mtj … we've cherry-picked 50 exciting Koha features on a 3.0.1 codebase, and tested them on *actual* furbies!
10:23 mtj amen druthb
10:23 mtj thats why we all have to help each other
10:25 magnuse amen mtj
10:25 kf poor furbies
10:45 kf @later tell jwagner tested bug 5688 - good catch, I never noticed the column!
10:45 huginn kf: The operation succeeded.
10:53 kmkale in opac where is the link to take a user to
10:57 kf you mean account?
10:57 kf ah sorry, have to go, lunch
10:59 kmkale yes the my summary page
11:22 druthb left #koha
11:38 kmkale left #koha
11:42 kf @later tell kmkale when you are logged in on top of the page: 'Welcome....'
11:42 huginn kf: The operation succeeded.
11:45 Nate_ joined #koha
11:47 kmkale joined #koha
12:10 magnuse is now known as magnus_away
12:11 mtj left #koha
12:26 mtj joined #koha
12:27 jwagner joined #koha
12:27 mtj left #koha
12:30 mtj joined #koha
12:30 mtj left #koha
12:31 mtj joined #koha
12:48 jcamins_away Good morning, #koha
12:48 jcamins_away is now known as jcamins
12:48 Nate_ morning jcamins!
12:51 tcohen joined #koha
12:52 jwagner Morning all
12:57 jcamins Woohoo! My paper on the role of women in establishing the Russian canon was accepted!
12:57 Nate_ congrats!!
12:58 Nate_ morning! jwagner
12:58 jwagner morning, Nate_ and congrats jcamins
13:04 ebegin joined #koha
13:04 kf jcamins: congrats :)
13:04 ebegin hello #koha!
13:04 kf hi ebegin
13:04 * chris_n welcomes ebegin
13:05 ebegin :)
13:05 ebegin I do have an mismatch for a tag somewhere in one of my .tmpl file.  Is there an easy way to validate a .tmpl file ?
13:07 mtj ebegin: nope, use diff
13:07 mtj or git-diff, the only method i use
13:09 ebegin Hmmm, it won't be easy, I reindented most of the file.
13:10 jcamins ebegin: there's some way to have diff ignore whitespace.
13:10 ebegin got it :) it was not that long after all :)
13:10 mtj reindent *after* the mod works
13:11 ebegin I added an extra space before the > by mistake in a <!-- /TMPL_LOOP -->
13:11 * mtj speaks with much personal experience on the issue
13:12 oleonard joined #koha
13:12 mtj left #koha
13:12 ebegin is it just me or the indentation of the .tmpl files could be improved? :)
13:12 oleonard It could certainly be better standardized
13:13 oleonard Not everyone agrees on indentation style, so "improved" is a problematic term
13:13 mtj joined #koha
13:13 ebegin oleonard, i wanted to be polite. :) you could replace could be improved by sucks :)
13:14 oleonard Either term has little meaning if you don't offer a suggested standard to apply
13:22 marcelr left #koha
13:22 kf perhaps we can decide on that after the switch to template toolkit?
13:24 oleonard I'm not sure we'd manage to keep everyone on the same standard without some kind of Tidy script
13:25 pastebot0 "ebegin" at pasted "Indentation proposal for .tmpl file" (30 lines) at
13:26 ebegin that would be a first proposal
13:26 ebegin
13:27 ebegin basically, group what reprensents grouping, both in HTML::Template (<!-- TMPL_IF -->, <!-- TMPL_LOOP -->, ...) and HTML tags (<div>, <table>, <ul>, ...)
13:27 mtj i think 2-char spacing might be better than 4
13:29 ebegin mtj, i used 4 chars in the example, but I prefer using tab instead.  If you want your tab to be 1, 2, 4 or 10 characters is up to you and is usually a setting in your editor
13:30 ebegin I used 4 chars in the example because I was not able to use tab in the form
13:30 mtj no tabs, set your tab key to input spaces ;)
13:31 * mtj dons tinfoil pants…
13:31 ebegin that is always an eternal debate,.
13:32 ebegin but if you use spaces, that brings another questions.  how many... 2, 4, 6, 8 ?
13:32 mtj some template files in koha get pushed waaay right, with 4-char indenting
13:33 ebegin That's why with a tab, you can set it to whatever you want ;)
13:33 mtj as many as it says in the style guide, silly
13:33 oleonard Doesn't say:[…]Coding_Guidelines
13:34 kf I think 4 space indentation?
13:34 kf * Indentation: 4 spaces [+++] or tabs [] or 2 spaces [] or don't care but give us perltidy settings [+]
13:34 mtj lol, so add it...
13:35 * jcamins doesn't care, for what it's worth.
13:35 mtj nah, its a serious thing to agree on
13:35 ebegin jcamins, I think that it worth it actually.
13:35 mtj and every once/while someone brings it up
13:36 mtj 4-char is prolly what folks will decide upon
13:36 kf ebegin: I think we will need a suggestion for template toolkit - perhaps a tidy up could be done with the conversion scripts?
13:36 oleonard kf++
13:37 ebegin jcamins, sorry, I agree that the spaces vs tab doesn't worth it... but a standard on indentation (when changing line, for exemple) worth it.
13:38 mtj i *still* haven't found an html tidy/beautifiler that handles <!— TMPL —> blocks
13:38 jcamins Yes, that's what I mean.
13:38 ebegin I can believe that we have to look at .tmpl file for 15 or 30 minutes to know where that <!-- /TMPL_IF --> has to go
13:38 jcamins mtj: probably because they're an offense against nature.
13:39 kf ebegin: I hope the new syntax will make it a little easier
13:40 mtj there was a WIP for html-tidy to handle html::template, a few years ago, i haven't looks at it since
13:40 ebegin kf, I hope too
13:41 oleonard mtj: It's a little late to be working on that again
13:41 mtj ha, sure.. just saying..
13:44 oleonard ebegin: One problem with <!-- /TMPL_IF -->placement is that even an editor with good code folding is going to have trouble handling both HTML and TMPL at the same time
13:45 ebegin oleonard, this is why we are there, us, poor human ;)
13:45 ebegin s/human/humans
13:46 ebegin why count onan automated task when we can do it correctly while writing it...
13:48 oleonard At the moment, because people have many patches pending which haven't been written according to any standard
13:50 ebegin oleonard, I agree.  That whu there will be a transition.
13:51 ebegin If we say that from now on, every time we modify a file we have to align them, chances are that most files will be standardized.
13:52 ebegin or we can postpone that forever.
13:52 oleonard I think kf's idea of building this into the T:T transition is a good one, although I have no idea if it is feasible
13:52 kmkale left #koha
13:52 ebegin We will always have pending patches
13:53 oleonard But after the T:T transition *everyone* will be required to submit patches in a new format. Good time to begin a new standard.
13:53 ebegin oleonard++
13:55 kf we should ask chris about ti
13:55 kf or rangi
13:55 oleonard Of course
13:56 kf but I would like it
13:56 kf would make reading the templates easier I think
13:58 oleonard I think the proof will be seeing how it handles a complex page like moremember.tmpl or circulation.tmpl
13:58 nfred joined #koha
13:59 oleonard Hi nfred
13:59 kf mormember template needs a clean up
14:00 kf some things there are bad for translation too
14:00 kf like cutting sentences into smaller parts with if clauses - hard to translate such things
14:01 kf tried to change them, but always broke something until I gave up
14:01 kf too many ifs
14:01 nfred Hi oleonard, glad to be here.  Been away for months!
14:02 oleonard kf: Feel free to file a bug if you'd like me to take a look. I don't always recognize that kind of problem
14:02 kf thx for the offer owen :)
14:02 oleonard nfred: Do we know you by another nick from the old channel?
14:03 kmkale joined #koha
14:03 nfred Yes, I'm being inconsistent!  I was nelsonf I think - Nelson Fredsell Atlanta, with installation in Cape Town, South Africa
14:04 oleonard nfred: Welcome back. We're still getting used to some new nicks around here :)
14:05 nfred I thought nfred would be easier for folks to type.  I've been working a plan for some time and move at snails pace...
14:06 * oleonard 's irc client has tab completion so it doesn't matter how long the nick is as long as it doesn't start the same as someone else's
14:06 nfred My challenge for some time has been simply to install Koha on my laptop, and darned if I haven't been able to do  it yet.
14:06 kf which os are you using?
14:07 nfred I want to set up a similar environment too the Cape Town install.
14:07 nfred OpenSUSE 11.3 in virtualbox
14:08 kf never worked with opensuse
14:08 nfred I've been following instructions on the koha site.
14:08 kf I think debian is what most people use and there are good manuals and even packages for that
14:08 jcamins Yeah, I saw that Debian 6 was released. :)
14:08 kf question: can place holds for debarred user - bug or feature?
14:09 nfred Yes, but the Cape Town install is OpenSuse. w/ Koha
14:10 mtj bug :)
14:10 jcamins nfred: I wasn't suggesting you use Debian, just expressing my excitement about there finally being a version of Debian with MySQL 5.1.
14:10 kf mtj: I feared you would say that
14:13 oleonard kf: Feature :)
14:14 oleonard It could be called a bug if there were code in Koha to prevent it from happening but that code didn't work ;)
14:14 jwagner kf and mtj, as a matter of interest, what would you expect should happen if a patron has existing holds and then gets debarred?  Do those holds remain valid?
14:14 jwagner The answer might have an effect on what happens at the point of debarrment.
14:15 oleonard You'd have to add a "suspend hold" feature (sounds familiar)
14:16 jwagner That could work -- the tricky part would be unsuspending.  When someone is debarred, it could automatically suspend holds, but no good way to automatically unsuspend them I can think of.
14:16 jwagner No way to distinguish between holds the patron might have suspended himself versus ones the system did
14:17 kf oleonard: I think I would expect it so show a message with an override option
14:17 kf jwagner: I would think yes - remain valid. it will make it easier to make him show up and pay his fines
14:17 nfred kf: I'm working with[…]_on_openSUSE_11.3, but can't make the virtualbox server visible to my Windows laptop.  Freek (and previously Ricardo Dias Marques) suggested static IP.  Using yast  with minimum os install, i.e. no gui.
14:18 kf nfred: sounds more like a virtualbox issue than koha
14:18 nfred Yes, I haven't even gotten to the koha part yet!
14:19 nfred However, I'm trying to follow steps listed on the koha site
14:19 jcamins nfred: change VirtualBox to use bridged networking.
14:19 wahanui1 jcamins: that doesn't look right
14:19 wahanui1 left #koha
14:19 wahanui joined #koha
14:20 jcamins Oh no! I killed wahanui1!
14:20 nfred oops
14:20 jwagner jcamins, it was a MERCY killing!
14:21 jcamins nfred: anyway, use bridged networking.
14:21 nfred I changed to bridged from NAT last night.  I then went to my windows browser and still couldn't see or http://localhost
14:23 jcamins nfred: no, of course not. I was just waiting for you to get your VM booted after you changed it for the next step.
14:23 mtj nfred:  you shouldnt be able to see localhost from your windows box ;)
14:24 nfred I'm booting now..
14:24 nfred okay, logged in as root
14:25 jcamins Run ifconfig
14:25 jcamins It should say something like en0: UP netmask
14:26 jcamins You want to know A) the IP and B) that first bit.
14:26 nfred yes, and Bcast
14:26 nengard joined #koha
14:26 jcamins (whether it's en0 or eth0 or what)
14:26 nfred eth0
14:26 nengard morning all - got a question about recent commits - does anyone know what commit/bug report added the item type icons to the search results in the staff and opac?
14:26 jcamins Okay, now, open up a terminal on your Windows box.
14:27 jcamins Then run ping
14:28 nfred there's also similar info with lo. re ping on windows, request timed out
14:28 jcamins nfred: lo is loopback, so it won't be accessible from Windows.
14:29 nfred jcamins: okay, thanks
14:29 kf jcamins: do you know where I can find a list of relator code or terms?
14:29 kf $4 apparently in 700 and others
14:30 kf bug 5701
14:30 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=5701 enhancement, PATCH-Sent, ---,, ASSIGNED, Distinction between authors/additional authors in staff normal view (MARC21/XSLT)
14:30 jcamins kf: yes.
14:30 kf thx, was looking there but missed this link
14:31 jcamins kf: recent practice has changed to using terms ($e) instead of codes.
14:32 kf I think we still use the codes
14:32 kf there should be a way to translate them
14:33 jcamins kf: yes, indeed there should. :)
14:34 kf and not sure everybody wants to show them - will complicate the opac view
14:35 jcamins There should be a syspref for that. :)
14:35 nengard as an 'additional author' i would like it to say what i did  :)
14:35 nengard right now illustrators will show under additional authors instead of as 'illustrators'
14:35 nengard that too is confusing
14:35 nfred jcamins: should I run another command on the linux side to trouble shoot, or run yast?
14:36 jcamins nfred: sorry, I've been trying to figure out what the next step is.
14:36 oleonard bywater++ # MassCat!
14:36 nengard @later tell rangi got a question about recent commits - what commit/bug report added the item type icons to the search results in the staff and opac?  I have a comment but I can't find where to put it
14:36 huginn nengard: The operation succeeded.
14:37 nengard thanks oleonard :)
14:44 fcapo joined #koha
14:45 jcamins Is it possible to override noissuescharge?
14:48 jwagner jcamins, see Bug 3496
14:48 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=3496 enhancement, PATCH-Sent, ---, jwagner, ASSIGNED, Override maximum fine at checkout
14:49 wizzyrea joined #koha
14:50 oleonard jwagner: Sounds like something that should be cherry-picked into master and resubmitted
14:51 oleonard Hi wizzyrea
14:51 wizzyrea good morning :)
14:53 kf nengard: I agree about the separate line - only not happy about the codes/terms
14:54 kf nengard: and it should work for 880 - but the display for 880 is not optimal at the moment
14:54 nengard kf i'm saying that some of those terms need to be there (editor, illustrator, translator) the biggies cause otherwise those people are listed as 'additional authors' and they're not really
14:54 kf ah, so more than one separate line
14:55 kf have different labels and show them, I would like it htat way for opat at least
14:55 kf because ourlibrarians don't know the english codes / terms
14:55 kf and some of them are quite cryptic
14:56 kf ah, mid-air collision
14:57 kf I added a comment to the bug (thought it was already there, missed the bugzilla error message)
14:59 nfred_ joined #koha
15:04 nfred left #koha
15:09 kmkale left #koha
15:09 nengard left #koha
15:09 nfred_ left #koha
15:11 sekjal joined #koha
15:13 oleonard Hi sekjal
15:13 oleonard You at code4lib?
15:14 sekjal hi, owen.  yes, at the pre-conference session on cloud computing
15:15 * oleonard should try to make code4lib someday
15:18 sekjal oleonard:  it's pretty neat
15:18 * oleonard hadn't even realized it was coming up
15:21 kf sekjal: druthb with you?
15:22 sekjal kf: she's in transit today
15:22 sekjal will be here around 6pm, I think
15:22 kf ah
15:23 jwagner is now known as jwagner_away
15:24 kf sekjal: hope both of you have a good time :)
15:24 fcapo left #koha
15:24 fcapo joined #koha
15:25 sekjal I think we will.  hopefully will have some time for a bit of hackfestery
15:26 oleonard Any other koha enthusiasts you know of coming?
15:26 sekjal I've got some patches I want to work up, but they aren't requests from our clients, so it's hard to find the time during the normal work day
15:26 sekjal atz is here
15:26 fcapo left #koha
15:27 fcapo joined #koha
15:29 kf sekjal: speaking of patches - have you seen my comment on the autobarcode issue?
15:29 kf I have to say using our ISILs as branchcode is a bit mean to the system
15:30 sekjal kf: I saw it, but haven't tried to do anything with it yet
15:30 kf ok, just let me me know if I can test or provide more information :)
15:35 kf oleonard++
15:38 magnus_away is now known as magnuse
15:49 Nate_ left #koha
15:56 sekjal
15:56 sekjal (my article has been published)
15:56 wizzyrea woot!
15:56 jcamins Congratulations!
15:56 kf sekjal++ :)
15:56 ebegin congrats sekjal
15:58 sekjal thanks, everyone
15:59 sekjal full disclosure: I had a co-author, but at the last minute, she asked to have her name taken off for political reasons.
16:01 magnuse sekjal++
16:02 rhcl_away sekjal++
16:02 rhcl_away is now known as rhcl
16:02 magnuse sekjal: are you allowed to post a preprint/open access version somewhere?
16:03 magnuse e.g.
16:03 druthb joined #koha
16:03 sekjal magnuse:  just reading the legalize now.  Yes, I'm allowed to republish with impunity
16:03 * druthb pops in for a bit, before lunch and flying..
16:04 sekjal hey, druthb!
16:04 magnuse sekjal: cool!
16:04 druthb Congratulations, sekjal, on your publication!
16:04 sekjal how was the first leg o' the flight?
16:04 * magnuse waves at druthb
16:04 druthb Mine is only one leg.  I'm at DCA (National) now.
16:05 magnuse btw: e-lis has 9 hits for koha:[…]ry=koha&submit=Go
16:05 wizzyrea indianapolis?
16:05 druthb yep.  going to Indy, then taking a shuttle to bloomington for code4lib.  :D
16:06 druthb (and also, seeing sekjal....actually, that should be the other way around; I'm going to bloomington to see sekjal, and also go to code4lib.)  :)
16:06 magnuse lucky people - code4lib sounds cool!
16:07 snail joined #koha
16:07 sekjal druthb:  ah, thought you'd have a connection... but since I connected in DCA, that train of thought doesn't really hold
16:07 rhcl eprints seems to be using DSpace, and excellent app
16:08 magnuse rhcl: free software FTW! ;-)
16:08 jcamins What time is it in Detroit?
16:08 druthb sekjal:  I should be done with the newbee dinner me when you're un-busy after that?  (and if you don't have other dinner plans, I'm sure there's room for one more friend.)
16:09 rhcl I actually evaluated DSpace here, and plan to go back to that archival project "some day".
16:09 * druthb waves to jcamins.
16:09 jcamins (don't answer that... one of my other channels has a bot which would tell me, and I wondered if munin did too)
16:09 sekjal druthb:  I don't have any particular plans after lunch today.  I'll give you a buzz
16:10 druthb great!  I fly from DCA about 1400 (yes, in 2.5 hours), and will be on the ground by about 1630 in Indy.
16:11 druthb sekjal:  I'm supposed to arrive on the shuttle at 1820, at the hotel, and I'll check in and boogie to the dinner.  :D
16:12 sekjal druthb:  cool, noted
16:16 magnuse rhcl: kete is worth a look too, depending on your use case...
16:16 druthb left #koha
16:17 druthb joined #koha
16:19 rhcl I see Kete and DSpace having differences--I've looked at both, though not recently.
16:19 rhcl Kete looks great for recording the memories of living people, audio or visual I think
16:20 snail anyone know who the wikipedia editor 'Alohabot' is?
16:20 rhcl For more static things like still images and documents my _general_impression_ is that DSpace is better suited
16:21 rhcl I also note that many people, possibly including Joann, might disagree
16:21 kf snail: I would guess mtj
16:21 * oleonard too
16:23 Nate_ joined #koha
16:23 * magnuse too
16:24 * druthb waves to Nate_ from DCA's big concourse.
16:24 magnuse rhcl: i see kete more as a "wiki with documents", dspace more as an archival tool, strong on metadata, weak on user participation
16:24 Nate_ Hiya!
16:24 rhcl yes, concur
16:24 rhcl Hey Nate
16:25 magnuse does anyone know the status of "search domains" - do they actually do anything?
16:25 kf hm
16:25 snail mtj: please don't mess with my carefully chosen words around the fork in the wikipedia article. i understand your point of view, but wikipedia has the whole encyclopedic voice thing going on which means it has to be balanced and impartial
16:25 magnuse hi Nate_
16:27 jcamins Did nengard prepare a training video on customizing notices?
16:28 oleonard snail: Why not take it up in the discussion on that article?
16:28 Schuster joined #koha
16:29 kf jcamins: I know more about notices than I ever wanted to know - do you have a specific question?
16:29 jcamins No, I just thought it would be nice to send a video on how to customize notices to a customer. :)
16:30 snail oleonard: because far too many of the contributors have COI issues. did you read what I wrote recently at[…]ser_talk:Jkostoff ?
16:30 snail oleonard: technically, pretty much anyone in this channel editing the article is a COI
16:32 oleonard Good thing we all exercise such great caution ;)
16:34 hdl hi all
16:36 schuster2 joined #koha
16:38 Schuster left #koha
16:41 kf hi hdl
16:46 sophie_m left #koha
16:48 magnuse hiya hdl
16:50 hdl hi all
16:52 Ahmuck-Sr joined #koha
16:53 snail I've reverted some of mtj's changes to the wikipedia page. if they show up here and ask about it, encourage them not to simply revert my revision. that way lies the path of madness. I'll be back here as I can, but I can't connect from work
16:53 snail left #koha
16:56 Ahmuck left #koha
17:00 oleonard I guess my suggestion for using the Wikipedia discussion area didn't go over well
17:01 schuster2 I'm confused by bug 5297
17:01 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=5297 minor, P5, ---, nengard, NEW, emailLibrarianWhenHoldIsPlaced does nothing
17:01 schuster2 So is this feature working or not now?
17:02 schuster2 Then bug 5489 came about
17:02 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=5489 enhancement, PATCH-Sent, ---, amit.gupta, ASSIGNED, Send hold email to branch email address if it exists instead of koha email address
17:02 oleonard schuster2: I would say so based on gmcharlt's comment
17:03 schuster2 Does anyone know if the "demo" server from bywater up and running from koha-community has emails running?
17:04 jcamins schuster2: I don't think it does, but I'll check.
17:05 oleonard schuster2: I wouldn't think it would since it's a public demo
17:05 jcamins It may be a few minutes since I'm eating lunch now.
17:06 schuster2 ok - I was just playing around and now realize part of what I was trying to test isn't on that server yet - 5489 isn't applied so it really doesn't matter.
17:06 schuster2 Thanks everyone.
17:07 schuster2 But I will ask this question of those here!  When you are editing in a git branch - how does the web know which branch to use and display changes?
17:09 oleonard schuster2: When you check out a branch all the files are updated to that branch's version. Your installation immediately uses those changed files
17:10 schuster2 So if you delete a branch because you abandon the changes you were working on the installation reverts back to the main code?
17:10 oleonard Since you can't delete a branch which is checked out you would have already had to switch to another branch
17:11 schuster2 OK so when you switch the web knows to use whatever the "active" branch is...
17:12 oleonard the web site always looks in the same place for the files to use to do its thing
17:12 oleonard Those files change the moment you switch branches
17:13 schuster2 OK thanks - I'll need to do some playing on my own to get my brain around it...
17:14 druthb left #koha
17:15 * oleonard comes up with several metaphors which are just more confusing
17:15 sekjal alright, time for some lunch
17:15 schuster2 Another question - as I'm working on this kids icon driven searching project.  If I wanted to house them on the Koha server I probably need to create a directory on my server.  Where would the best place be?
17:15 sekjal back after
17:15 sekjal left #koha
17:16 jcamins schuster2: what do you mean?
17:16 schuster2 Gotta go to a meeting sorry be back in a bit
17:28 oleonard What do you all think: Okay to mark a bug "patch sent" if the patch is attached to the report, even if it hasn't been sent to the list?
17:28 oleonard Now that we need everything to have a signoff, the signed-off version will make it to the list
17:29 oleonard briceSanc is attaching reformatted versions of his patches to the bugs and I'd like to mark them "needs signoff" so they'll get looked at.
17:30 jcamins oleonard: makes sense to me.
17:30 Nate_ left #koha
17:31 hdl left #koha
17:35 brendan__ left #koha
17:42 rangi As long as the signed off version goes to the list, and ppl set the bug statuses correctly should be fine
17:44 rangi @later tell nengard don't know, way too many commits to memorise them, try searching the git log
17:44 huginn rangi: The operation succeeded.
17:44 oleonard rangi: nengard and I figured it out
17:44 rangi Cool
17:45 oleonard that discussion led to my patch today for Bug 5462
17:45 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=5462 enhancement, PATCH-Sent, ---, gmcharlt, NEW, Fix variable names so we dont break template::toolkit
17:46 rangi Yay
17:46 rangi I think chris h has a few more for that too
17:46 rangi And yes html tidy and tt play nice
17:47 rangi But I will throw a stapler at anyone who tries to tidy the templates as we convert them
17:47 rangi Because that makes spotting differences
17:48 rangi And applying outstanding patches almost impossible
17:48 jcamins rangi: what kind of stapler?
17:48 rangi The heaviest I can find
17:49 rangi We need to get them converted and be happy we haven't broken stuff
17:49 * jcamins makes a note to send in a patch tidying a small portion of the templates so that rangi will send him a nice heavy stapler.
17:49 rangi Then we can shift everything around
17:49 rangi Ill bring it to ala and throw it :)
17:50 rangi So 3.6 we could start with a big tidy
17:50 * jcamins will take a nice heavy stapler any time, even if he has to wait until June.
17:50 rangi If we do it now, all patches not applied now would have to be rewritten
17:51 kf left #koha
17:51 jcamins rangi: I agree. I just want that stapler...
17:51 rangi Heh
17:55 paul_p left #koha
17:55 oleonard Nice Google home page, NZ:
17:56 brendan_ morning #koha
18:12 jwagner_away is now known as jwagner
18:14 tcohen left #koha
18:15 Nate_ joined #koha
18:15 tcohen joined #koha
18:19 schuster2 So rangi you are coming to ALA in June?
18:26 rangi Yes indeed
18:26 rangi Barring unforeseen circumstances
18:27 rangi Ala in june, access in october
18:27 rangi Are my 2 north american trips this year
18:32 schuster2 Wow world traveler!  Are you presenting or???  and when???  I will be there working on some School business/Texas Library Association stuff.  I would love to buy you a beverage one night.
18:39 ebegin left #koha
18:54 rangi Presenting at access, not ALA at least I don't think I am
18:57 rangi And beverages of course gratefully accepted
18:57 gmcharlt rangi: I have ways of getting you to present at ALA ;)
18:57 rangi Orly?
18:58 gmcharlt for the LITA OSS interest group, if nothing else
19:00 rangi Cool, I reckon I could swing that :)
19:02 nfred_ joined #koha
19:02 rangi its on same time as the conf proper?
19:02 nfred_ is now known as nfred
19:04 rangi Ok my stop bbiab
19:12 fcapo left #koha
19:12 rangi back
19:13 * oleonard can't git fetch.. times out...
19:13 nfred left #koha
19:16 jcamins Item type icons and OPACXSLTResultsDisplay.
19:16 jcamins Do they work together?
19:16 oleonard item type icons do not display on the results page unless item-level_itypes is set to OFF
19:17 jcamins Ohh.
19:17 jcamins I see.
19:18 oleonard jcamins: You have a client asking about it?
19:19 jcamins Yep.
19:19 oleonard (just had a conversation about this with nengard)
19:19 jcamins I was trying to figure out why I never had any problems before.
19:19 jcamins The ANS used biblio-level itypes.
19:21 cait joined #koha
19:21 cait hi all
19:21 jcamins Does item-level_itypes affect anything else?
19:22 oleonard Not sure, beyond display of item type images
19:22 jcamins Ah, grep, how I do treasure thee.
19:23 jcamins Oh, it must affect limits.
19:23 cait it should
19:24 cait but there are some smaller bugs
19:24 oleonard jcamins: I think what we should probably work for is a display of item-level material types on the search results page
19:24 cait we had a library reporting that if the biblio level itemtype is not for loan they don't see holds links in the staff result list
19:25 cait oleonard: I think there is no right way to do it if you have more than one item type
19:26 oleonard But if we displayed material-type icons like on the XSLT display...
19:27 oleonard I'm not sure how you'd do it, but I know that what my patrons really want to be able to see at a glance is whether it's a book, DVD, audio book, etc.
19:27 jcamins Yeah, that's the problem I'm trying to deal with.
19:28 cait and the material type icons are not obvious enough?
19:28 jcamins cait: not on the search results page.
19:30 cait are we talking about xslt or normal view?
19:30 jcamins XSLT.
19:30 jcamins Or normal, for that matter.
19:31 oleonard Evergreen does what I'm thinking of, if I'm not mistaken.
19:31 anitsirk joined #koha
19:32 oleonard gmcharlt: Do you where I can find an up-to-date Evergreen OPAC?
19:32 rangi hi anitsirk
19:32 anitsirk morning rangi.
19:32 anitsirk now i need to be careful again to always type in the correct chatroom ;-)
19:32 rangi :)
19:33 gmcharlt oleonard: see[…]nity_demo_servers
19:33 gmcharlt there's a 2.0.0 (i.e, about as recent as you can get) OPAC demo included there
19:34 oleonard I was surprised that the gapines one was so out of date (in distance from 2.0)
19:35 oleonard gmcharlt: Does the Evergreen search results page indicate item- or biblio-level item/material type?
19:36 tcohen left #koha
19:36 gmcharlt oleonard: PINES is only running, as it happens
19:36 magnuse hiya anitsirk!
19:36 gmcharlt oleonard: Evergreen has no concept of a bib-level item type as such; what it does is choose the icon to display based on leader and other fixed field values
19:36 anitsirk hi magnuse :-)
19:36 cait hi anitsirk
19:36 oleonard[…]er&l=1&d=0&f=&av=
19:37 cait I think that's what we are doing on the result and detail page now too
19:37 oleonard So only one of that row of images will ever be "active" at one time
19:37 anitsirk hi cait. thanks for your nice tweet
19:37 cait not in staff, but in opac
19:37 gmcharlt oleonard: in an ordinary search, yes
19:37 cait different code though - we thought it should be the same include for both when we first looked at it
19:38 cait anitsirk: it's only true - I click on your twitter links every day :)
19:38 gmcharlt there's a "metabib" type search that tries to group formats together; for that type of search, multiple material type icons may get lit up
19:38 cait and it's even more exciting when I know the corner or the place in your photograph
19:38 oleonard I'm picturing a row of images in which more than one is active based on what different types of items are attached
19:38 anitsirk something off topic: check out today's / tomorrow's (?) special Google logo: Jules Verne - it's moving and it's under water :-)
19:38 oleonard But you'd have to do some kind of matching between broad material types and individual item types/collection codes
19:39 jcamins oleonard: shiny!
19:39 jcamins oleonard++
19:39 cait can we make it a sys pref?
19:39 * cait hides
19:39 oleonard jcamins: That link? Not me.
19:39 gmcharlt oleonard: if it were based on items instead of bib values, could be done (or if it were diving a lot more deeply in fixed fields that could encode multipe formats)
19:40 jcamins oleonard: I was picturing your implementation of that for Koha.
19:42 cait hm, can't access the link
19:42 cait running into a timeout
19:42 oleonard jcamins: I'm curious: Is your client dissatisfied with the material type icons offered by the XSLT results view?
19:42 sekjal joined #koha
19:42 oleonard jcamins: I'm curious what information isn't displayed by the material type icons that they would want to see
19:43 jcamins oleonard: we just introduced XSLT results view to this client. It helps, but they want the icons larger.
19:43 jcamins And to be able to differentiate downloadable MP3s versus downloadable other things.
19:43 jcamins Based on the 007.
19:44 oleonard jcamins: We've always had to have XSLT turned off because our MARC data is wrong so much of the time :(
19:45 jcamins Heh. Sounds about right.
19:45 cait oleonard: I think there was a syspref to hide the icons in those cases
19:45 cait or hide them in general from the xslt view
19:45 oleonard True. But I'm not sure how much we gain if we leave out the icons.
19:46 jcamins oleonard: direct links to downloadable resources.
19:47 oleonard anyone else having trouble connecting to git?
19:47 cait hm not sure
19:48 cait hm, yes
19:48 mtj oleonard: works ok for me
19:48 cait ah, now it worked. I did a git pull and it took a little while to start
19:48 sekjal oleonard:  git pull just worked for me
19:49 oleonard Weird. "fatal: unable to connect a socket" is what I get
19:50 sekjal oleonard: verify which remote?
19:50 oleonard[0:]
19:51 sekjal hmmm
19:53 mtj left #koha
20:00 francharb left #koha
20:04 jcamins When an item is transferred between branches, it needs to be discharged before it shows up as having arrived at the destination library, right?
20:06 paul_p joined #koha
20:06 oleonard When an item is transferred its holdingbranch is set to that of the destination
20:07 oleonard I consider this to be wrong
20:08 jcamins Hm.
20:09 jcamins Any idea how it could happen that the holdingbranch is not changed?
20:09 oleonard What are the circumstances?
20:10 jcamins The staff client says "In transit," and the books were sent from the first library to the second, but they can't discharge the books at the second library.
20:11 schuster2 did they check it in?
20:11 jcamins schuster2: they tried and were told they couldn't.
20:12 oleonard Sent as in did a transfer or sent as in checked in at the first branch and Koha initiated an automatic transfer?
20:12 jcamins The former.
20:12 schuster2 What message do they get when they check it in?
20:13 schuster2 How many branches are in the system?  Maybe they sent it to the wrong branch.
20:13 jcamins "CANNOT
20:13 jcamins CHECK IN.  This item must be returned to home library."
20:13 jcamins I don't think so.
20:14 schuster2 Independant branches on?
20:14 jcamins I think so, yes.
20:14 jcamins (but I'm confirming that)
20:15 schuster2 I'm not sure how that all works with independant branches...  Can they share stuff?
20:15 oleonard Could the item not have the homebranch is should?
20:16 jcamins I think it was IndependantBranches.
20:17 jcamins Ummm... has anyone else noticed that IndependantBranches is spelled wrong?
20:18 jcamins I had the spelling of "independent" right the first time.
20:18 gmcharlt jcamins: there's a long-standing bug
20:18 gmcharlt with an argument that we English-speaking folks are the ones spelling it incorrectly ... according to the French ;)
20:18 jcamins Ah.
20:19 oleonard In that case "Branches" is spelled wrong ;)
20:20 cait or we rename it to UnabhängigeBibliotheken ;)
20:20 gmcharlt s/IndependantBranches/SYSPREF_23445/, perhaps? :)
20:20 jwagner Bad girl, cait. Bad
20:20 cait huh?
20:21 jwagner remaining things :-)
20:21 jwagner s/remaining/renaming/
20:21 * cait is confused
20:21 jcamins jwagner: at least it would be spelled correctly in *some* language then.
20:21 * jwagner was referring to your threat to rename Branches
20:22 jwagner Thought that's what translations were for...Maybe we need an English translation for that one?
20:23 cait ok, confused enough to go to bed, reading my perl book
20:23 cait bye all
20:23 cait left #koha
20:25 jwagner Come back, cait!  I didn't mean to drive you away!!!
20:25 * jwagner thinks maybe I'd better leave too -- getting a little too slap-happy....
20:29 hdl joined #koha
20:50 jwagner left #koha
21:06 phasefx joined #koha
21:06 oleonard left #koha
21:24 jcamins Good night, #koha
21:24 jcamins is now known as jcamins_away
21:55 mtj joined #koha
21:59 hdl left #koha
22:07 hdl joined #koha
22:12 schuster2 left #koha
22:21 magnuse left #koha
22:32 Nate_ left #koha
22:51 paul_p left #koha
22:55 sekjal cheers, #koha
22:55 sekjal left #koha
23:14 hdl left #koha
23:27 hudsonbot Starting build 97 for job Koha_3.2.x (previous build: SUCCESS)
23:27 huginn New commit(s) kohagit32: Updating history docs <[…]96677c1f9b829671e> / Bug 5700: MT4004 : Some Status were not defaulted to the correct value... <[…]02b4808fd3b030c88> / Bug 5699: don't discard $3 when building a record (UNIMARC specific) <
23:50 hudsonbot Project Koha_3.2.x build #97: SUCCESS in 22 min: http://hudson.koha-community.o[…]ob/Koha_3.2.x/97/
23:50 hudsonbot * Henri-Damien LAURENT: Bug 5690
23:50 hudsonbot * Owen Leonard: Fix for Bug 5115, Tags JavaScript includes many untranslatable strings
23:50 hudsonbot * Owen Leonard: Fix for Bug 5689 - System preference notifications are not translatable
23:50 hudsonbot * Owen Leonard: Fix for Bug 5532 - sysprefs editor should show names of saved prefs
23:50 hudsonbot * Chris Cormack: Bug 5691 - Delete all items respects independentbranches system preferences
23:50 hudsonbot * Paul Poulain: Bug 5699: don't discard $3 when building a record (UNIMARC specific)
23:50 hudsonbot * Paul Poulain: Bug 5700: MT4004 : Some Status were not defaulted to the correct value Status 0 was lost because test was done on value and not on the fact that a value was defined or not. when value is 0 then it was not used as default value for
23:50 hudsonbot * Chris Cormack: Updating history docs

| Channels | #koha index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | plain, newest first | summary