IRC log for #koha, 2010-09-13

All times shown according to UTC.

Time S Nick Message
00:47 yhager left #koha
00:48 chris_n heya chris
01:07 rich-away is now known as richard
01:47 yhager joined #koha
02:52 jcamins is now known as jcamins_a
03:13 Amit joined #koha
03:13 Amit heya chris
03:13 chris hiya Amit
03:34 hdl joined #koha
04:22 cait joined #koha
04:22 cait morning #koha :)
04:25 robin hi cait
04:25 cait hi robin :)
04:25 cait chris: I have the patch at my computer at work, will resend later - thx!
04:26 chris mein gott
04:26 chris why are you awake?
04:27 cait it's not that early
04:27 richard heh
04:27 cait distance study
04:27 cait 6:30
04:27 chris ahh i thought 4.30
04:27 cait no :)
04:27 cait that would be really early, although I sometimes really get up at 5
04:29 chris i just wanted to say mein gott really
04:30 cait lol
04:30 cait learning German? :)
04:31 richard left #koha
04:32 chris heh yeah
05:00 hdl left #koha
05:14 cait ah, wondered why you chose those 2 patches
05:15 cait :)
05:16 cait the first 2 in my list
05:34 darling left #koha
05:35 cait time to go to work - bbl :)
05:35 cait left #koha
05:52 alex_a joined #koha
06:05 magnus joined #koha
06:29 ivanc joined #koha
06:30 ivanc hi #koha
06:36 kf joined #koha
06:36 kf hi #koha
06:40 hdl joined #koha
06:42 yhager left #koha
06:42 yhager joined #koha
06:44 ivanc hi kf
06:45 paul_p joined #koha
06:45 kf guten Morgen ivanc
06:46 hdl hi
06:46 hdl hi chris
06:47 magnus hiya ivanc, kf, hdl et al!
06:48 ivanc hi magnus
06:48 kf hi magnus and hdl
06:48 kf chris: still around?
06:51 kf @seen chris
06:51 munin kf: chris was last seen in #koha 2 hours, 19 minutes, and 1 second ago: <chris> heh yeah
07:04 matts joined #koha
07:14 paul_p left #koha
07:15 stephane1 joined #koha
07:23 francharb joined #koha
07:47 davi joined #koha
07:48 yhager left #koha
07:50 miguelxer left #koha
07:51 davi left #koha
07:51 davi joined #koha
07:56 davi left #koha
07:57 davi joined #koha
08:21 chris kf: you about?
08:21 kf here
08:21 chris yeah, basically it doesnt need the no strict
08:21 chris or the use strict
08:21 chris perl -e 'use strict; use Locale::Currency::Format; my $formatted_fine = currency_format("NZD", "10", FMT_SYMBOL); print $formatted_fine; '
08:22 chris $10.00
08:22 kf try EUR :)
08:22 kf no, you don't need to
08:22 chris €10,00
08:22 kf oh nice :)
08:23 kf ok, what do you want me to do?
08:23 kf delete those lines?
08:23 chris so yeah i think chris_n thought it was a bareword, but FMT_SYMBOL is actually a subroutine
08:23 chris in Locale::Currency::Format
08:23 chris so either you can, or ill send a follow up patch removing those 2 lines
08:24 chris whatever you like
08:24 kf I can do, but perhaps in the afternoon
08:24 kf small emergencies everywhere today
08:24 chris ahh
08:24 chris no worries, whenever is fine
08:25 kf ok :)
08:25 chris ill try to signoff some more tomorrow
08:25 kf thx!
08:26 kf I think chris_n wanted to take a look at that patch too - forgot to note it in my list
08:26 chris cool
08:26 kf - but perhaps it's even better now, when we fix one more thing with the patch
08:27 chris yup, this isnt a biggy, but it will make the script execute slightly faster
08:27 kf cool :)
08:28 kf thx for your help and explaining chris
08:28 chris
08:28 chris no problem
08:28 chris the more i explain, the more ppl know, and the less i have to do in the future ... its purely selfish hehe
08:29 magnus chris++
08:35 kf chris++ :)
08:41 magnus @quote add <chris> the more i explain, the more ppl know, and the less i have to do in the future ... its purely selfish hehe
08:41 munin magnus: Error: You must be registered to use this command. If you are already registered, you must either identify (using the identify command) or add a hostmask matching your current hostmask (using the "hostmask add" command).
08:42 kf @quote add <chris> the more i explain, the more ppl know, and the less i have to do in the future ... its purely selfish hehe
08:42 munin kf: The operation succeeded.  Quote #94 added.
08:44 magnus thanks, kf
08:45 magnus @quote get 93
08:45 munin magnus: Quote #93: "Koha is not an acronym, so it should not be in all-capitals. Koha is a Maori word." (added by wizzyrea at 03:20 PM, September 09, 2010)
08:51 kf you think KOHA is bad? I have to fight against KoHa around here
08:53 kf hmpf.
08:54 kf meeting now, bbl!
09:10 magnus it's impressive to see all the activity on the bugs and patches lists these days!
09:12 chris yeah things are ticking along
09:13 chris good to see the new rfc too
09:13 magnus can't wait for 3.2 be done, so we can think about all the goodness that will be in 3.4 ;-)
09:13 magnus um, what rfc?
09:16 magnus probably this one?[…]ISO_CORE_protocol i'm way behind in reading the lists these days - need to spend time on other things than koha... :-(
09:18 Shiny what's the [off] mean in your folks' chatting?
09:20 magnus Shiny: lines that start with [off] will not show up in the log
09:21 Shiny thanks magnus
09:22 magnus you're welcome! ;-)
09:25 chris ahh nope some new ones from osslabs lemme find em
09:27 chris[…]Approvals_Process
09:27 chris[…]/Payments_Process
09:33 magnus yeah, looks good!
09:42 kf magnus: I like the activity too :) I think we must look forward and work together
09:43 magnus yay!
09:43 chris and ignore those who are trying to ruin it
09:43 chris we have more people than ever contributing
09:43 kf :)
09:44 chris theres no need to worry about one hostile company
09:44 magnus yeah, the best reaction is to show that the community is stronger and more productive than ever!
09:45 kf I like to think we can persuade people to use koha by making it the better product. If we succeed there is no need to worry about one company
09:50 chris yep, thats definitely true kf
10:32 wasabi um, is this not really curious...?
10:33 wasabi
10:33 chris theres crazy people everywhere
10:52 nengard joined #koha
10:52 chris hi nengard
10:52 nengard hello
11:00 Amit hi nengard
11:00 nengard howdy
11:12 nengard question about long overdues
11:12 nengard i entered this at the command line:    $PERL5LIB/misc/cronjobs/ --lost 30=2 --charge 1
11:13 nengard but it says it's in ### TEST MODE
11:13 nengard how do I make it go into 'real' mode?
11:14 chris --confirm           confirm.  without this option, the script will report the number of affected items and return without modifying any records.
11:16 nengard bingo
11:16 nengard missed that line :)
11:17 chris always pays to take a look at the script before you run it, eg
11:17 nengard i did look at the script - just missed that part of the perldoc
11:17 chris WARNING:  This script is known to be faulty.  It is NOT recommended to use multiple --lost options. See[…]w_bug.cgi?id=2881
11:17 munin Bug 2881: normal, PATCH-Sent, ---, nahuel.angelinetti, RESOLVED FIXED, Default sorting in advanced search
11:17 nengard it's first thing monday morning :)
11:18 chris wow, that script is horrible
11:18 nengard LOL
11:18 chris srsly
11:19 chris i wouldnt use that in production
11:19 nengard k - so we need to add that to the list of things that were screwed up by not knowing how to code
11:19 nengard well we need something that does what it's supposed to do - so i was testing
11:19 nengard and it didn't work anyway
11:19 Amit left #koha
11:20 Amit joined #koha
11:26 chris well, it was never meant to last long, add it to the list of things that would have gotten finished properly if the person writing didnt have a complete jerk for a boss
11:32 chris and now bedtime
11:37 jwagner joined #koha
11:47 slef hi all
11:49 jwagner Hi slef
11:49 Amit heya jwagner
11:49 jwagner Hi Amit
11:50 slef I'm just fixing up our vendors listing entry. Anyone know why the admin is in ISO-8859-1 now? It mangled our accents (which were UTF-8).
11:50 slef Anyone want their vendor listing entry updated while I'm in there?
11:51 Casaubon joined #koha
11:52 Casaubon left #koha
11:53 jwagner slef, where are you talking about?
11:54 slef
12:01 nengard slef i don't know for sure, but that might be a byproduct of a change wizzyrea made to make the manuals print right - not sure if they're are connected through
12:01 nengard though
12:02 nengard if so we'll need to find another work around for the manual
12:03 slef nengard: shall I email wizzyrea or will you take it up?
12:04 slef Moving from UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1 seems a little backwards.
12:04 nengard I'll contact her since I know what she did to make the manual work -- the converter for the manual to HTML seems to need ISO or accents in the manual turn into question marks - if I'm understanding right what she did
12:04 nengard we did know that something might pop up to show us this move wouldn't work :(
12:11 Amit left #koha
12:13 owen joined #koha
12:18 slef Thanks.  If you'd like help, we'd probably need to know what is the converter for the manual to HTML? Where is the manual source?
12:20 owen A belated happy birthday to you jwagner!
12:20 jwagner Thanks owen
12:26 schuster joined #koha
12:27 Nate joined #koha
12:31 magnus slef: i guess the source is here?[…]ocs.git;a=summary
12:37 * chris_n wishes jwagner a late happy birthday as well
12:37 nengard slef, manual source is in git:[…]ocs.git;a=summary  -- I don't know what converter it is
12:37 chris_n owen about?
12:37 owen Yes
12:37 nengard oh - magnus told you :)
12:38 chris_n owen: any idea what RFC822 does with day of week and month abbreviations in languages other than english?
12:38 chris_n ie. Sun Mon... etc.
12:38 owen No clue!
12:39 chris_n well, I've added rfc822 to C4::Dates, but atm it only handles english dow, moy, abbrv's
12:39 * chris_n is not sure what to do to internationalize
12:42 slef chris_n: rfc2822 requires English - see section 3.3
12:42 chris_n slef: I wondered about that, thanks
12:42 owen Thanks slef, that's just what I was about to guess
12:42 slef why guess? It's written in the RFC :-)
12:43 chris_n owen: I have one fix to push up to my repo and then you can give it a whirl
12:43 * slef mutters something about library system developers looking up references ;-)
12:43 * owen was perusing the RFC just now :P
12:45 chris_n owen: this feature is available here:[…]ads/RFC822_format
12:46 owen chris_n++
12:46 chris_n if it looks like it does what you want, I'll submit it for inclusion into 3.4, unless gmcharlt makes a dramatic exception for 3.2
12:46 chris_n atz++ # for looking over it to be sure I did not bust things too badly :-)
12:47 owen Thanks chris_n, the feature I'm hankering to use it for certainly won't be in 3.2
12:48 chris_n ok, if it works for you, maybe you can sign off on it and submit it for inclusion in 3.4
12:49 chris_n if/when you do, be sure to pickup the two perltidy patches as well or it will not apply nicely
12:51 owen Okay, thanks
12:55 * chris_n 's comments crash w/owen in bugzilla :-O
12:56 chris_n I wonder what that was all about...
12:58 chris_n owen: I added you to the cc list for bug 5218
12:58 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=5218 enhancement, P5, ---, cnighswonger, ASSIGNED, Add RFC822 Date Formatting to C4::Dates
13:13 gmcharlt jcamins++
13:13 owen ?
13:14 gmcharlt[…]e-koha-community/
13:16 magnus that's the spirit!
13:19 nengard jcamins++
13:19 mib_rcvon joined #koha
13:31 kf jcamins++
13:38 mib_rcvon left #koha
13:43 slef nice to see others imitating :-)
13:49 wasabi ... im gonna put that on my site too
13:50 jcamins_a is now known as jcamins
13:50 jcamins My ears are burning.
13:50 jcamins Good morning, #koha
13:51 jcamins wasabi: any chance you could resend your patch to Bug 4289?
13:51 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=4289 enhancement, PATCH-Sent, ---, oleonard, NEW, Add a syspref 'OpacNotPublic', to hide OPAC search-bar and force authentication on all OPAC pages
13:52 wasabi 10 mins...
13:54 jcamins Thanks!
14:01 kf jwagner: a belated happy birthday from me too :)
14:02 jcamins jwagner: oh, happy birthday!
14:02 jcamins Late.
14:02 sekjal joined #koha
14:11 miguelxer joined #koha
14:11 miguelxer left #koha
14:14 jwagner Thanks kf and jcamins
14:16 wasabi jcamins:  what are the new patching guidelines/rules?
14:16 wasabi "the patch attached to the bug does not have your commit message, so I cannot do that."
14:16 wasabi[…]w_bug.cgi?id=4289
14:16 munin Bug 4289: enhancement, PATCH-Sent, ---, oleonard, NEW, Add a syspref 'OpacNotPublic', to hide OPAC search-bar and force authentication on all OPAC pages
14:17 jcamins Oh, chris wants everything to be signed-off.
14:17 jcamins Which means I need the git patch.
14:18 pastebot "wasabi" at pasted "zz" (31 lines) at
14:18 wasabi i need to add that to the commit?
14:19 wasabi my commit description?
14:19 magnus left #koha
14:19 jcamins Yes please.
14:20 kf wasabi: it looks like your patch misses some lines at the top, compared to other patches:
14:20 kf[…]hment.cgi?id=2195
14:20 wasabi ah, ok..
14:21 jcamins Oh, we need to ask someone about a version number for the database.
14:21 wasabi chris.c told me to leave that as 'X' , so i did...
14:22 jcamins Oh, okay.
14:22 nengard yeah, X is the norm and then the RM puts the right number in
14:22 jcamins Ah. That makes sense.
14:22 jcamins That was the only part of the patch that didn't apply cleanly to HEAD.
14:25 chris_n jcamins++
14:43 jcamins wasabi: thanks!
14:44 wasabi np, a loong 10 mins...
14:50 wasabi and there's the commit in my repo
14:50 wasabi[…]e66d38cc3c3380a02
14:52 jcamins Ooh, I could just cherry-pick that, couldn't I?
14:52 wasabi l update my github repo 1st...
14:53 jcamins Thanks.
15:03 briceSanc joined #koha
15:03 briceSanc Hello !
15:05 briceSanc Is there a debug function in Koha like "print" in order to show the content of a $var?
15:06 jcamins briceSanc: Hi. Can't you just use print?
15:06 ebegin briceSanc, you can use warn and the text will show in the logs
15:06 briceSanc jacamins, yes but the template erase the print
15:06 ebegin print will show in the output if you run your perl script from the command line
15:07 jcamins Oh, I was thinking about modifying command-line scripts. Of course you'd need something else for the web interface. Sorry about that. It's Monday. ;)
15:08 briceSanc ebegin, Thanks, i'm searching the log rep
15:08 ebegin /var/log/koha or <kohainstall>/var/log
15:16 wizzyrea @later tell slef please double check the support vendor pages when you have a chance. Thanks :)
15:16 munin wizzyrea: The operation succeeded.
15:17 jcamins sekjal: before I comment on your analytic record RFC, I have a question for you. Does the RFC require a parent->child link to be present? That could result in excessively large records.
15:19 sekjal jcamins: I was just talking to Savitra about this, but haven't gotten my ideas out beyond that thread
15:19 jcamins Okay.
15:19 sekjal I think there should be a concept of 'reciprocal relationships'
15:19 kf sekjal: our idea was to provice a search link
15:19 kf sekjal: and use some jquery magic to show the x first volumes directly in the record
15:20 sekjal that is, if you add a 773 point record A to record B, it will automatically add a 774 from B to A (for example)
15:20 kf parsed from the result page of the search link (not elegant... but my prototype works)
15:20 sekjal or you could turn off the reciprocal, and only have links in one direction
15:20 kf reciprocal will not work for us
15:21 kf we get our data from our union catalog - there is only a link in one direction there
15:21 kf as in marc21 standard
15:21 jcamins I think we'd really like what kf is describing... a virtual reciprocal link, if you will.
15:21 kf the union catalog data would overwrite those reciprocal links with every new import
15:22 kf jcamins: I think the problem with my solution is that you can't tell when to show the search link
15:22 kf it will show always - or perhaps you can hide it if the jquery gets no results
15:22 sekjal kf: hmmm, okay... would it help your solution to consult a table of relationships?
15:23 sekjal that way, if on record didn't relate to any other, you wouldn't have to invoke the jquery
15:23 laurence joined #koha
15:23 jcamins We have one journal with 4176+ analytics, which would definitely put us way over the maximum record size limit.
15:24 sekjal I think we need to store the relationships outside of MARC, and make the insertion of MARC fields something configurable depending on library policies/practices/desires
15:25 jcamins Yeah, I like that idea.
15:25 sekjal I'm thinking the same would hold for MFHD support
15:30 kf sorry, afk now, will be back in a few minutes
15:30 slef wizzyrea: thanks. Other vendors will be happy (I switched ours to use entities and work around it).
15:33 stephane1 left #koha
15:33 yhager joined #koha
15:39 ebegin left #koha
15:41 yhager left #koha
15:56 kf sekjal: perhaps our problem is unique, not sure. for us the union catalog is the master database for the bibliographic records. If a record is changed, it's imported by a nightly import script and overwrites the record in koha.
15:56 kf sekjal: I am not sure how your table of relationships can be maintained.
15:56 kf if you are not cataloging in koha
15:57 jcamins Parse out 7xx fields?
15:58 kf the import scripts need to learn to do that
15:58 henry joined #koha
15:58 kf in that case
15:58 kf but as you said, the records will get too big
15:58 kf we have records for traced series too
15:59 jcamins Yeah, savitra (I think) wanted to add that feature to mulkmarcimport.
15:59 jcamins bulkmarcimport, even
15:59 kf I had not really time to read all the rfcs :(
15:59 kf will try to do tomorrow
15:59 * wizzyrea is more interested in hulkmarcimiport
16:00 * wizzyrea tee hee hee's
16:00 kf :)
16:00 * wizzyrea scurries away again
16:00 tajoli joined #koha
16:00 jcamins HULK IMPORT!
16:01 yhager joined #koha
16:01 sekjal kf: we'd have to make the triggering of adding a new relationshop to the table be flexible
16:03 sekjal so, when a MARC record comes in with some field, the importer would either add, modify or remove the corresponding entry in the relationships table
16:03 sekjal depending on configs
16:03 ivanc left #koha
16:03 jcamins What would the overhead on that be for kf?
16:04 jcamins (just throwing out whatever thoughts come to mind to clarify things for myself)
16:04 sekjal I suppose that would depend on what config options were avaialble
16:04 kf sekjal: we would need that as an option for the staged marc import
16:05 kf sekjal: we do matching by 001
16:05 sekjal kf: yes! so we'd add lines on what to do about analytics, just like there are options for what to do with items
16:05 kf I am not against a relationship table - but opposed to storing the information in the marc21 records
16:06 sekjal kf: would the information be coming in from the MARC initially?
16:06 kf are you only looking for analytics or other relationships too?
16:06 kf afaik the mother does not know her child records
16:07 jcamins I'm pretty sure MARC specifies that parent->child relationships are optional.
16:07 sekjal you'd configure whatever relationships you want in the system, and tie them to MARC if appropriate
16:08 kf jcamins: which fields do you use in the parent?
16:08 sekjal then the importer would look for relationships, and parse them as appropriate
16:08 kf we have a lot of relationships in our data and we need to make them show - it's a big problem now.
16:09 kf I started some work on $w relationships, but on a different level - just wanting to make them show
16:09 yhager I am trying to install koha - when I try to access myserver:8080, I get an error, and in the log it seems the db tables do not exist. Do I need to create them myself?
16:09 jcamins kf: you _can_ use 774, or 787, but I'm 99% sure that it's not required, or even recommended.
16:09 kf not thinking so much about import and cataloging, because that's not important to us
16:09 kf jcamins: I think it's not required
16:10 jcamins Yeah, here it is. Definitely not required.
16:10 jcamins[…]hic/bd76x78x.html
16:10 jcamins About a third of the way down under "Component Parts/Constituent Units."
16:10 kf we have separate records a work as parent and it's volumes as separate records, traced series as records with relationships, serials with former/later etc., parallel title, a lot of relationhsops
16:11 kf relationships
16:11 kf electronic to print version
16:11 laurence left #koha
16:13 * jcamins wishes that his library's bibliographic database was as nice as kf's.
16:13 kf :)
16:13 kf the work of a lot of busy librarians
16:13 yhager should I run "mysql < kohastructure.sql"? it does not appear in the INSTALL file
16:15 kf jcamins: "This bibliographic database [SWB] references all kinds of media of more than 1000 libraries    in Baden-Wuerttemberg, Saxony, Saarland, and Rhineland-Palatinate. It contains    47 million holding records for about 12 million titles of mainly scientific    literature. These comprise 1.2 million holding records of 350.000 journals."
16:15 jcamins yhager: the installer should take care of that for you.
16:16 jcamins kf: And I am hugely jealous. ;)
16:16 kf ;)
16:18 henry left #koha
16:21 yhager jcamins: I get "production mode - trapped fatal error" when trying to access the installer and lots of errors in the log related to non existing tables
16:21 jcamins Hm.
16:22 jcamins I don't really recall the steps for installing Koha. Perhaps someone else remembers?
16:23 yhager jcamins: which is the most suitable mailing list for this kind of question? the devel one?
16:23 sekjal yhager: did you create the koha database, and give your koha mysql account permissions on it?
16:23 yhager sekjal: yes
16:23 yhager I will double check
16:24 kf I think there were several posts about trapped fatal error already, try google first
16:25 yhager re db, it works when I access it using mysql cmd line, and I can create tables
16:27 wizzyrea[…]--td19272321.html
16:29 yhager I have CGI::Session::Serialize::yaml-4.26 installed
16:31 yhager wizzyrea: did you mean I should have 4.21?
16:33 tajoli left #koha
16:33 nengard left #koha
16:35 wizzyrea no, I meant that if you didn't have CGI::Session::Serialize::yaml installed you might need to
16:38 miguelxer joined #koha
16:39 miguelxer left #koha
16:45 kf left #koha
16:46 nengard joined #koha
16:47 druthb joined #koha
16:50 owen Hi druthb
16:50 druthb hi, owen.
16:51 druthb :)
16:57 francharb left #koha
17:06 hdl left #koha
17:07 schuster left #koha
17:15 yhager left #koha
17:20 francharb joined #koha
17:35 saorge_ left #koha
17:35 saorge joined #koha
17:47 francharb left #koha
17:48 collum joined #koha
17:56 chris morning
17:56 jcamins Morning.
17:57 wizzyrea mornin
17:58 druthb hi, chris! :)
17:59 * druthb waves happily at wizzyrea.
17:59 wizzyrea hey druthb!
18:01 brendan morning
18:01 briceSanc left #koha
18:01 chris is now known as chrisc
18:03 chrisc is now known as chris
18:06 brendan left #koha
18:16 saorge left #koha
18:30 saorge joined #koha
18:38 yhager joined #koha
19:04 druthb left #koha
19:08 chris_n owen about?
19:08 owen Yes
19:09 chris_n I think we've found a bug in adding and deleting subfields
19:09 chris_n for example
19:10 chris_n I can add as many 505$t subfields as I like until I delete one of them
19:10 chris_n then the clone control ceases to work
19:10 chris_n can you confirm this by chance?
19:11 owen I've certainly seen similar bugs with cloning and deleting.
19:11 * owen will test
19:11 * owen needs a break from Drupal anyway
19:12 * chris_n hands owen a fresh cup of coffee and a donut as he sits down to Koha ;-)
19:15 owen Yeah, it looks like the delete control for all instances of $t (for instance) reference the original $t. clicking any of them will delete the original, and then you get an error because the original isn't there to delete anymore
19:15 chris_n so this is a js problem?
19:16 owen It's hard to separate the js from the script on this page because much of the js is generated by the script
19:16 owen But essentially yes it's a js problem
19:16 * chris_n groans... another marc editor mess
19:16 chris_n so I'll open a bug on it then
19:17 owen I think there may already be one. Did you search?
19:17 chris_n not yet, I will now
19:17 owen Bug 5141 is similar
19:17 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=5141 normal, P5, ---, gmcharlt, NEW, Cannot duplicate subfields after duplicating a field
19:18 chris_n bug 4867 also
19:18 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=4867 normal, P5, ---, gmcharlt, NEW, cannot clone subfields in marc editor, other clone/unclone weirdness
19:18 owen Yup
19:18 chris_n even bug 3264
19:18 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=3264 normal, P5, ---, oleonard, NEW, UnCloneField() / minus button  in MARC authorities editor can clear all subfields.
19:18 owen They all probably have the same root cause
19:19 chris_n *sigh*
19:19 owen I think cloning and deleting of tags/subfields needs to be re-written. Not only because it's buggy but because it's really slow too
19:19 chris_n and that is a subset of why the entire editor needs to be rewritten
19:19 owen I've tried a couple of times to get a good handle on the existing functionality, but I haven't succeeded.
19:20 chris_n some sort of ajax driven editor where only the tag you were currently looking at is loaded
19:20 chris_n others load dynamically, etc
19:20 chris_n so reducing the js load on the client side
19:21 * chris_n goes on dreaming
19:21 owen it's too bad the biblios editor was a dead end
19:21 jcamins chris_n: can I add my dream to yours?
19:21 owen Now that Google Gears is dead I don't know how you could begin to resurrect it
19:22 * chris_n invites jcamins in
19:22 jcamins The ability to reorganize fields and subfields!
19:22 owen (not that I know whether it's a better choice at all)
19:22 chris_n dare I say 'drag-n-drop'?
19:22 jcamins Yes!
19:23 brendan joined #koha
19:23 chris_n owen: what about some of yui's more advanced stuff?
19:23 chris_n heya brandan
19:23 brendan heya chris_n
19:23 sekjal I'd like to see a new html5 based template, parallel to 'prog'
19:23 chris_n sekjal: cool idea
19:23 * owen has to hold his nose to use YUI at all...
19:24 owen It would be very useful to write up a spec for how the MARC editor *should* behave
19:24 chris_n sekjal: and wonderful for backward compatibility for those who don't like the change or can't make the leap
19:25 sekjal chris_n: yeah, we'd need to keep the old templates for compatibility, but the new html5-based one could be released at the same time as a more CSS3-based styling
19:25 jcamins owen: I know what *I* want, but I feel like it's probably not what other people would want.
19:26 owen jcamins: But the MARC standard defines things you *should* be able to do
19:26 chris_n we should begin an rfc for both a new templating system and a completely new marc editor
19:27 wizzyrea while you're doing that... add in customization of receipts :P
19:27 * chris_n welcomes wizzyrea to the dream session
19:28 * owen hands wizzyrea a brownie
19:28 sekjal I'd say we should fold receipts under Notices; then build Notices to be configurable in how they're delivered (email, print, sms, facebook, etc.)
19:28 sekjal with fallbacks in a user-configurable order per notice
19:28 * wizzyrea makes no apologies to wanting a templating system that is as pluggable as WordPress
19:28 * chris_n looks at his star tps700 still sitting on the shelf three months later
19:28 * wizzyrea gets distracted by the brownie
19:29 jcamins Facebook? That's an interesting way to send notices.
19:29 * wizzyrea thinks it would be epic to have a facebook app to tie into koha
19:30 wizzyrea much like twitter ties into facebook
19:30 wizzyrea or friendfeed
19:30 chris templates are all changing for 3.4
19:30 wizzyrea "Hey, your books are due in a couple of days!" in your news feed would get books back I think :)
19:30 chris_n hehe
19:30 chris To using template toolkit
19:30 jcamins Heh.
19:30 chris Seems a good opportunity
19:31 sekjal jcamins: if we coded with Facebook in mind, that's force us to be more flexible, and allow for lots of other kinds of connections, likely
19:31 chris_n TT++
19:31 owen wizzyrea: We should have it post overdue messages to all your friends' pages too so they can peer pressure you
19:31 wizzyrea ooh
19:31 wizzyrea "so and so didn't return their books.... send them a virtual handslap!"
19:31 chris_n sekjal, jcamins: some sort of connector library would be nice
19:31 chris The problem wp has is speed
19:32 chris Hence all the caching plugins
19:32 wizzyrea yes, it is slow, for sure.
19:32 jcamins Speed and integration. Our two problems. Speed, integration, and ubiquity, three...
19:32 jcamins Sorry.
19:32 jcamins It is *so* Monday.
19:32 chris You have to balance customisability vs performance
19:32 * wizzyrea still won't apologize for wanting it :D
19:33 wizzyrea ^.^
19:33 wizzyrea I didn't say it was *practical*
19:33 chris You just have to solve it, then we can :)
19:33 wizzyrea actually you bring up a good point about the caching
19:33 chris TT pre renders for speed
19:33 wizzyrea what if you had a pluggable system that ^^ did that
19:34 wizzyrea instead of every load
19:34 chris Yep
19:34 chris That's what we do with stuff
19:34 wizzyrea but in a way that your average techie librarian could get their heads around
19:35 chris Once we have tt there is a ton more we can do
19:36 * chris_n wonders if fridolyn somers' patch for bug 4867 ever made it in...
19:36 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=4867 normal, P5, ---, gmcharlt, NEW, cannot clone subfields in marc editor, other clone/unclone weirdness
19:37 chris Ill look when I'm at work
19:38 chris Facebook connect is trivial
19:38 chris We could do that now
19:39 chris But I hate facebook so someone else will have to
19:39 * chris_n notes that patch did not make it in
19:39 chris_n I'll test it and send it along if it fixes things
19:39 chris I'm more interested in chilts adding openid support
19:40 chris Cool, sign off on it
19:42 * chris is on his sign off crusade still
19:45 jwagner chris, are the procedures that should be followed posted somewhere yet?  In painful detail for those of us less literate with git?
19:46 chris Yeah on the wiki
19:48 chris Id look for the url, but would take too much mucking around on the phone
19:49 wizzyrea[…]gn_off_on_patches
19:49 wizzyrea that one, chris?
19:49 chris Looks likely
19:50 chris Yeah that's it thanks
19:51 jwagner Thanks.  I looked last week but didn't see anything.
19:51 chris_n well, that patch did not fix what I'm seeing :-(
19:51 chris_n jwagner:[…]_patches#Sign-off
19:52 chris Ok my stop coming up, bbiab
19:52 jwagner left #koha
19:58 brendan left #koha
20:02 chris_n owen: I think I've found the problem
20:03 chris_n the script passes in a var 'random' which is presumably to cause each field to have a unique identifier
20:03 chris_n only each clone uses the same var 'random'
20:03 chris_n so they all reference the same field
20:03 owen So the clone function needs to have a built-in random var generator
20:04 chris_n that sounds easy.... maybe too easy
20:04 chris_n probably the CloneSubfield function needs the rnd generator
20:05 * chris_n is not a js hack :-(
20:05 chris back
20:07 brendan joined #koha
20:08 collum left #koha
20:09 chris that certainly sounds plausible to me chris_n
20:09 russ left #koha
20:09 henry joined #koha
20:09 chris_n It looks like the CloneSubfield function does not do anything to the index attribute
20:09 owen Quitting time for me. See y'all tomorrow
20:09 chris_n which is the problem
20:09 owen left #koha
20:09 chris_n bye owen
20:10 * chris_n is past quitting time..
20:10 chris_n but then that's the sign of an addict... right?
20:10 chris heh yup
20:10 henry left #koha
20:11 chris_n it modifies the other unique attributes by adding a var 'new_key'
20:11 chris ahh
20:11 chris_n so maybe by having it do the same to index things will work
20:11 chris worth a crack
20:13 richard joined #koha
20:18 chris_n not
20:18 chris_n oh well
20:18 chris_n it will probably be here tomorrow
20:25 brendan left #koha
20:30 davi left #koha
20:40 jcamins Good night, #koha
20:40 jcamins is now known as jcamins_a
20:47 Nate left #koha
20:49 russ joined #koha
20:52 richard hiya russ
20:53 russ morning
20:57 alan left #koha
20:59 nengard left #koha
20:59 sekjal left #koha
21:01 alan joined #koha
21:03 nengard joined #koha
21:11 nengard left #koha
21:12 darling joined #koha
21:13 wizzyrea bug 4879
21:13 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=4879 enhancement, P5, ---, gmcharlt, NEW, lint-like tool for Koha database contents
21:13 wizzyrea bug 4870
21:13 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=4870 normal, P5, ---, kyle.m.hall, NEW, Damaged status does not prevent items from being selected for reserves
21:13 wizzyrea ew
21:25 alan left #koha
21:37 alan joined #koha
21:46 russ left #koha
21:56 russ joined #koha
21:57 chris left #koha
21:58 chris joined #koha
21:58 richard left #koha
22:02 richard joined #koha
22:03 chris is now known as chrisc
22:04 chrisc is now known as chris
22:04 chris weirdness on my connection today it seems
22:07 LBA joined #koha
22:08 richard yeah, likewise
22:10 chris i suspect its telstraclear
22:12 richard
22:13 rhcl funny
22:14 yhager I think I know the installation problem I have - I found "Can't locate version/" in the log file..
22:33 richard left #koha
22:42 richard joined #koha
23:32 brendan_l joined #koha
23:33 chris hi brendan_l
23:35 brendan_l heya chris
23:50 brendan_l left #koha
23:52 brendan joined #koha

| Channels | #koha index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | plain, newest first | summary