IRC log for #koha, 2011-03-08

All times shown according to UTC.

Time S Nick Message
00:07 rhcl is now known as rhcl_away
00:16 Ahmuck joined #koha
00:20 Ahmuck-Sr left #koha
00:25 sekjal left #koha
00:25 NateC left #koha
00:30 |Irma| joined #koha
00:35 |Irma| left #koha
00:36 |Irma| joined #koha
00:42 |Irma| left #koha
00:43 |Irma| joined #koha
00:53 schuster joined #koha
00:54 druthb joined #koha
01:09 |Irma| is now known as Irmaliq
01:10 Irmaliq left #koha
01:13 schuster left #koha
01:27 schuster joined #koha
01:30 Irma left #koha
01:41 schuster left #koha
01:42 schuster joined #koha
01:45 schuster left #koha
01:46 schuster joined #koha
01:47 schuster chris_n - are you thinking about coming to Madison Wisconsin for the KUDOS Conference?
02:03 schuster left #koha
02:05 schuster joined #koha
02:07 schuster left #koha
02:15 wizzyrea is now known as Guest3933
02:15 wizzyrea_ joined #koha
02:15 wizzyrea_ is now known as wizzyrea
02:19 druthb left #koha
02:20 kmkale joined #koha
02:20 kmkale Namaskar #koha
02:20 wizzyrea Namaskar kmkale
02:20 kmkale hi wizzyrea
02:20 wizzyrea hello :D
02:20 mtj heya folks
02:21 wizzyrea hi mtj
02:22 mtj heya girl
02:24 mtj a busy week for NEKLS?
02:24 wizzyrea definitely
02:24 mtj a recent upgrade?
02:24 wizzyrea indeed :)
02:25 mtj hope it went well
02:25 mtj back to reports, for me...
02:25 kmkale hi mtj
02:25 wizzyrea it's still in progress
02:26 mtj hey kmkale, looks like we will finally meet in thane :)
02:26 kmkale yup. :)
02:27 mtj wizzyrea: ah, ok - keep me posted you you need a hand, etc...
02:27 kmkale time to go to office. bbl
02:27 kmkale left #koha
02:57 oleonard joined #koha
03:07 oleonard left #koha
03:56 Guest3933 ,
04:10 chris_n left #koha
04:11 chris_n joined #koha
04:27 druthb joined #koha
04:50 kmkale joined #koha
05:14 Guest3933 left #koha
05:28 kmkale can't login to wiki with openid :(
05:41 wizzyrea there's a special link for openid
05:41 wizzyrea[…]eturnto=Main_Page
05:41 wizzyrea you are logging in here?
05:42 wizzyrea kmkale?
05:42 wahanui1 i guess kmkale is right
05:42 wizzyrea of course he is :)
05:42 kmkale aye wizzyrea
05:42 wizzyrea :( bummer
05:43 wizzyrea hmm mine's working
05:43 wizzyrea maybe it's your openid
05:43 wizzyrea endpoint
05:43 wizzyrea who are you using?
05:43 kmkale could be; its google
05:44 cait joined #koha
05:44 kmkale I could login using the password alright
05:44 kmkale hi cait
05:44 cait hi kmkale :)
05:47 kmkale "An error occured during verification of the OpenID URL. "
06:01 Irma joined #koha
06:04 druthb left #koha
06:07 cait left #koha
06:24 wizzyrea cait... o bother. just missed her
06:24 wizzyrea @later tell cait i'm confused, why don't we want to see the sql statement on the guided report results?
06:24 huginn wizzyrea: The operation succeeded.
06:44 kmkale bbl
06:44 kmkale is now known as kmkale_a
06:49 wizzyrea anybody remember magnus's new nick?
06:50 mtj wizzyrea: cant see it on #koha
06:51 wizzyrea hrm, i'll just send it to him on facebook
06:52 kmkale_a left #koha
07:18 wizzyrea left #koha
07:23 mtj[…]nch-burrit,52698/
07:34 magnuse joined #koha
07:38 paul_p joined #koha
07:40 paul_p hello world !
07:41 magnuse bonjour paul_p
07:48 kmkale_a joined #koha
07:55 hdl joined #koha
08:09 kmkale_a left #koha
08:17 sophie_m joined #koha
08:34 kmkale_a joined #koha
09:29 Eru left #koha
09:51 kmkale_a left #koha
09:53 kmkale_a joined #koha
11:11 druthb joined #koha
11:20 bob_ left #koha
11:24 nengard joined #koha
11:30 Irma left #koha
11:35 LBA joined #koha
12:02 LastBoyScout joined #koha
12:02 LastBoyScout hello all
12:29 nengard hello
12:29 wahanui1 salut, nengard
12:31 druthb wahanui: nengard?
12:31 wahanui1 nengard is a blogger at
12:31 druthb wahanui: druthb?
12:31 wahanui1 i guess druthb is quite possibly insane, but she fits right in at ByWater Solutions, because of it.
12:31 nengard not really so much anymore ... she's more a writer for Koha
12:31 jcamins_away is now known as jcamins
12:31 nengard wait a second - did that bot just say I'm insane???
12:31 jwagner joined #koha
12:31 jcamins Hell, #koha.
12:31 jcamins nengard: no, that's druthb.
12:31 nengard LOL
12:31 druthb said I was.
12:31 jcamins *Hello
12:32 nengard but it says that you fit in with us - so that means i'm insane to
12:32 nengard too
12:32 druthb wahanui: jcamins?
12:32 wahanui1 jcamins is supposed to be an outstanding cook. or well-traveled and brilliant. or trying to think of a solution, but short of a set of three sysprefs (ShelfBrowserUsesLocation, ShelfBrowserUsesCcode, and ShelfBrowserUsesHomeBranch), I don't really have any ideas.
12:32 druthb lordy.
12:32 nengard hehe
12:33 nengard ooooo -- gonna test me bug 5478
12:33 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=5478 enhancement, P5, ---, gmcharlt, NEW, Automate MARC framework import/export
12:33 druthb wahanui:  forget druthb
12:33 wahanui1 druthb: I forgot druthb
12:35 nengard :(
12:36 druthb next time someone says something of the form "druthb is <foo>", it'll remember that.  Brooke_ seems to come up with clever things to tell it about me.
12:37 nengard druthb is a rockstar!
12:38 druthb @quote get 102
12:38 huginn druthb: Quote #102: "<druthb> harrrumph!" (added by gmcharlt at 07:42 PM, November 11, 2010)
12:41 LastBoyScout hey people. Anyone able to help a desperate koha user with z39.50 MARC import errors?
12:43 jcamins LastBoyScout: ask your question, and if anyone can help, s/he will.
12:44 LastBoyScout Thanks. Running Koha 3.2.5
12:44 LastBoyScout I'm getting the following error on SOME z39.50 imports
12:44 LastBoyScout All arguments must be MARC::Field objects at /usr/share/koha/intranet/cgi-​bin/cataloguing/ line 151
12:44 JesseM joined #koha
12:44 jcamins Where are you importing from?
12:45 LastBoyScout I have explored whether this is a encoding issue (tried changing the z39.50 server config)
12:45 JesseM morning #Koha
12:45 LastBoyScout I've tried a few, but predominantly LOC and Monash
12:45 jcamins Hm. I've used LOC without any problems.
12:46 LastBoyScout I suspect this may be an issue with CPAN loaded perl modules conflicting with KOHA - as it was working perfectly
12:46 LastBoyScout ARe there any known issues with some of the CPAN MARC modules?
12:47 jcamins None that I know of, anyway.
12:49 LastBoyScout This error has appeared on the internet a number of times through the years (as per Google search) but I can't find any note of the solution
12:53 kf joined #koha
12:53 kf hi #koha
12:55 jwagner hi kf
12:56 kf hi jwagner :)
12:57 collum joined #koha
12:59 kmkale_a heya kf
12:59 kmkale_a is now known as kmkale
13:03 magnuse LastBoyScout: could you give a concrete example where you get the error - which source, which search, which record?
13:03 magnuse guten tag kf
13:29 kf hi magnuse :)
13:29 kf hi kmkale_a :)
13:29 magnuse :-)
13:32 paul_p hello kmkale & al
13:32 kmkale hi paul_p
13:36 pastebot "LastBoyScout" at pasted "MARC record that won't import - example 1 - Binge trading : Freedman, Seth." (40 lines) at
13:37 LastBoyScout Hi Magnuse - pasted first example
13:38 LastBoyScout The record is in our reservoir, but gives the error on attempt to import
13:39 NateC joined #koha
13:41 pastebot "LastBoyScout" at pasted "MARC record that won't import - example 2 - McKinsey's Marvin Bower : Edersheim, Elizabeth Haas. -" (51 lines) at
13:41 LastBoyScout Here's a second record, different z39.50 server, same error
13:41 magnuse LastBoyScout: what do you mean in your reservoir? i thought you said you were copy cataloguing with z39.50?
13:42 LastBoyScout It's in the reservoir after searching using the z39.50 server
13:42 LastBoyScout I have tried importing the search reseult directly or from the reservoir
13:42 LastBoyScout same error
13:43 LastBoyScout Ranji tried helping last night and we eliminated the encoding option set for the z39.50 server and it does not seem to be because of diacriticals
13:44 magnuse LastBoyScout: afaik the reservoir only comes into the picture when you use the "Stage MARC records for import" tool?
13:45 jwagner FYI as a matter of general interest -- from the Unicorn admin listserv, a site to automatically generate a call number cutter:
13:45 LastBoyScout When we've made a successful search using a z39.50 server, all results are stored in the reservoir
13:46 LastBoyScout maybe we're just lucky / unlucky :)
13:48 magnuse hehe... but in my experience searching with z39.50, importing and saving puts the record in the catalogue proper, not in the reservoir...
13:49 LastBoyScout Sure, we just can't import the search result
13:49 LastBoyScout SOME we can
13:49 LastBoyScout I have not successfully debugged the reason
13:50 magnuse and your example 2 comes from LOC?
13:51 * jcamins loses his voice abruptly
13:52 LastBoyScout Indeed
13:52 magnuse LastBoyScout: the second one works fine for me
13:52 LastBoyScout it's definitely a problem on our end - not the MARC record
13:53 kmkale hey shall we start the kohacon volunteers meeting?
13:53 LastBoyScout which is why i suspect a CPAN module
13:53 magnuse LastBoyScout: when do you get the error? when you preview the record, when you click on import, when you save the record from the "marc editor" in koha?
13:53 LastBoyScout when we click on import
13:53 LastBoyScout we can preview fine
13:54 slef kmkale: waiting for you...
13:54 kmkale #startmeeting
13:54 huginn Meeting started Tue Mar  8 14:01:55 2011 UTC.  The chair is kmkale. Information about MeetBot at
13:54 huginn Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
13:54 slef #link[…]aCon11_Volunteers
13:55 kmkale #topic introductions
13:55 Topic for #koha is now introductions
13:55 kmkale Koustubha Kale VPM, Thane, Anant Corporation, Kohacon 11 organizer
13:55 * slef = MJ Ray, undef,
13:56 * atz Joe Atzberger, State Library of Ohio
13:57 kmkale gmcharlt paul_p mtj around?
13:57 gmcharlt kmkale: yep
13:57 paul_p kmkale, yep
13:58 kmkale :)
13:58 kmkale #topic What needs to be done
13:58 Topic for #koha is now What needs to be done
13:58 paul_p paul_p, BibLibre
13:58 * druthb == D Ruth Bavousett, ByWater Solutions.
13:59 kmkale paul_p: you having one of two to have attended all kohacon's, would you like to elaborate on "What needs to be done"
14:00 * magnuse Magnus Enger, Libriotech, Norway (mostly lurking)
14:00 paul_p kmkale, yes, thx. The 2 parts are really differents (conf & hackfest)
14:00 slef #link[…]0_Plan#To_Do_List
14:01 paul_p and I feel we could/should have 3 parts in fact : user conf / new developers conf / hackers conf (new developers interested staying for hackers conf if they want)
14:01 paul_p so what's need to be done is different on those 3 parts
14:01 kmkale thanks slef
14:01 kmkale Let me give a summary of what we are doing at VPM
14:02 kmkale we have organized sub comitees for accommodation, travel assistance, venue organization, food, sponsorships
14:03 kmkale that leaves programm development, scheduling, format etc
14:04 kmkale I have a proposal from VPM people about the format of conference day's
14:04 kmkale 2 sessions per day with lubnch break between them
14:05 kmkale each session of presentations of 15 mins followed by 5 mins q & a
14:05 kmkale 1 plenary on pre decided topic and speaker per session
14:05 kmkale what say?
14:06 slef What are the start/end times of days?
14:07 paul_p kmkale, I think sessions of 15mn is really short.
14:07 slef as in how many presentations per session?
14:07 paul_p I think longer sessions, but less sessions is better.
14:07 kmkale start end times are up to us. can be anything
14:07 kmkale paul_p: suggest time duration be as per presentation
14:07 slef Sorry, I thought a proposal about the format would include that.
14:08 slef I think most at '10 were 30mins
14:08 kmkale depending on how many presentations we get
14:08 mtj hi folks, running a little late…
14:08 kmkale lets say 9.30 am to 4.30 pm day
14:09 jcamins left #koha
14:09 kmkale with an hours lunch break
14:09 jcamins joined #koha
14:09 paul_p do you plan to do a break in the middle of each day ? it's a good idea imho
14:09 slef maybe some people would like to do 15+5 talk+Q and some 5+5 or 50+10, but should we have 25+5 as the default?
14:10 paul_p (socializing++ ++ during KohaCon !!!)
14:10 kmkale with 30 mins sessions that gives us 12 sessions a day
14:10 paul_p (off is as important as ON ;-) )
14:10 kmkale paul_p: yes a hours lunch break at say 12.30 or 1 pm
14:11 kmkale with a 4.30 close gives us plenty of socializing opp
14:11 paul_p kmkale, I mean a small break at 10 and at 15 (for example)
14:11 sekjal joined #koha
14:11 paul_p[…]program/day1.html => 1 hour for each speaker usually
14:11 slef I was wrong :)
14:11 slef Never trust my memory. Let that be a lesson to you.
14:11 kmkale yes a tea coffee break in the  middle of morning and afternoon halfs? can do
14:11 paul_p ;-)
14:11 gmcharlt 30 minute per session is a bit short in my experience, - 45 is more common
14:11 gmcharlt 30 minutes can be workable, though
14:12 paul_p gmcharlt++ => 45 is better, 30 is workable.
14:12 kmkale its for us to suggest / decide
14:12 gmcharlt one thing I would like to suggest is scheduling one or two lightening talk sessions
14:12 slef gmcharlt: 45 including Q+A or 45+?
14:12 kmkale can be 1 hr. then we can take lesser presentations. IMHO all depends on number of presenters we get. Good papers that is
14:12 gmcharlt 45 including Q+A, scheduled on hourly boundaries to allow time to move between sessions
14:13 paul_p if we have maaannnyyy attendees, do you plan to have sessions splitted in 2 (10:00 speech A in room X and speech B in room Y, then 11:00, repeat). Thus audience would be splitted in 2
14:13 kmkale talk sessions ++
14:13 gmcharlt (assuming that geographic distance between the session rooms matters in this case)
14:13 paul_p gmcharlt, ++
14:13 kmkale paul_p: yes if we have more than 2000 attendees and enough speakers
14:13 kmkale sorry make that 200
14:13 kmkale s/2000/200
14:14 paul_p kmkale, remember your goal is 18k attendees :D
14:14 kmkale :)
14:14 slef #link
14:14 paul_p we can also have some lightning talks
14:14 kmkale if you have seen the map link there is a stadium nearby. I will have to apply to the municipal commissioner then for special permission ;)
14:15 gmcharlt kmkale: we'd need to add in some football sessions as well if we end up in the stadium ;)
14:15 kmkale its crecket here gmcharlt
14:15 kmkale cricket
14:15 gmcharlt kmkale: good to know :)
14:16 kmkale so lets say 1 plenary / keynote per 1/2 day session and or a talk session
14:16 atz lightning talk format was highly valuable at code4lib (again) this year.
14:16 slef not sure if anyone except the English ever played football in cricket stadiums much :)
14:16 kmkale talk time duration?
14:16 wizzyrea joined #koha
14:16 slef 45 usually, some other options in special sessions
14:16 slef ?
14:17 kmkale each presentation to be of 45 mins with a 10 mins q&a ??
14:17 gmcharlt kmkale: sounds good to me
14:17 paul_p kmkale, ++ too
14:17 mtj me too :)
14:17 paul_p +5mn move your body to the next conf room ;-)
14:18 kmkale that gives us a target of 4 presentations per day plus one key note and one lightning talk
14:18 kmkale am i correct in my additions?
14:19 paul_p 4 or 5 ?
14:19 wahanui1 5
14:19 kmkale start time 9.30 ok?
14:19 kmkale and close time 4.30 ok?
14:20 slef kmkale: I'd wait and see if lightnings are one per session or best all together. Probably depends what comes in.
14:20 kmkale with a 15 mins tea/coffee break plus an hours lunch break
14:21 kmkale ok that brings us to call for papers. can anyone help in writing it?
14:21 gmcharlt kmkale: I can write a draft
14:21 gmcharlt when do you need it?
14:21 slef gmcharlt: update last year's?
14:21 kmkale gr8 gmcharlt++
14:21 gmcharlt slef: yep, most likely
14:21 slef gmcharlt:[…]k11/author/submit
14:22 kmkale gmcharlt why not send it asap?
14:22 gmcharlt kmkale: OK, I'll send you something to look at later today
14:22 gmcharlt i.e, in the next couple hours
14:22 slef kmkale: submission process needs configuring before the call goes out.
14:22 kmkale I have registrations working so shall we throw the registrations open and announce on the lists?[…]Conf/registration
14:23 kmkale slef: what do you propose? do we have a peer review kinda system? I think we should.
14:23 gmcharlt kmkale: if you're up to it, I'd like to suggest a code4lib-style voting on the presentation proposals
14:24 slef kmkale: also call for help writing travel guides?
14:24 kmkale slef: yep
14:24 * kmkale sucks at writing stuff
14:24 slef kmkale: I would leave it pretty open, but warn there may be a review stage if there are far more talks than can be accommodated?
14:24 kmkale gmcharlt: ":code4lib-style voting on the presentation proposals" how to?
14:25 gmcharlt kmkale: basically, solicit the presentations, then prior to the presentation, hold an open vote of the community to choose which presentations make it to the program
14:25 kmkale at this stage lets get proposals in. then we form a comitee to have a look at whats good
14:25 kmkale aahh
14:25 slef kmkale: spelling error in[…]Conf/registration (should be participants, says dict)
14:26 gmcharlt this assumes, of course, that we get more presentations than slots, which is likely
14:26 kmkale thanks slef
14:26 slef gmcharlt: popularity_contests--
14:26 kmkale gmcharlt: we may get many from India but with dodgy quality
14:26 kmkale do we propose a theme for papers in the call for papers?
14:27 slef how about...
14:27 slef first of all, call for keynotes, then arrange those into sessions and call for talks on each keynote theme?
14:27 slef or am I making this too complicated when there is less time than ideal?
14:27 kmkale or call for papers and keynotes then arrange them into sessions?
14:28 paul_p could we have more presentations than slot & say ppl would have to decide between speak 1 and 2 ?
14:28 paul_p or say speak 1, 2, 3 are done twice, so everyone will miss 1 (but just one)
14:28 kmkale paul_p: if we have enopugh attendees / speakers we can arrange for parallel sessions
14:29 gmcharlt kmkale: I'd expect that would be quite likely (having parallel sessions)
14:29 gmcharlt the Evergreen conference, for instance, manages 3 tracks of sessions with about ~200 attendees
14:29 kmkale did we have parallel sessions in prewvious kohacons?
14:29 gmcharlt and the KohaCon in Texas had two or three tracks, as I recall
14:29 kmkale great
14:30 kmkale so lets say send out a call for papers and keynotes with a few themes?
14:30 slef It depends on the audience and what comes in.
14:30 kmkale then arrange what we get into sessions?
14:30 kmkale and then decide on parallel sessions etc depending on number
14:31 kmkale any ideas about themes?
14:33 mtj migrations, tuning, hosting
14:33 mtj customising opacs
14:34 magnuse is now known as magnus_away
14:34 paul_p in Paris, we had only 1 session iirc
14:34 slef customising++
14:34 gmcharlt customizing++
14:34 mtj not really themes?, but some general ideas
14:34 slef paul_p: I thought there were 2?
14:34 * slef has vague memories of passing out from the heat in the second session
14:34 gmcharlt another idea - spreading Koha; something aimed at convincing administrators to look at it
14:34 paul_p We had only one large room, so I think it was only 1
14:35 slef paul_p: do you mean 1 track?
14:35 kmkale aye spreading koha both to librarians and to developers
14:35 mtj nice idea gmcharlt
14:35 slef paul_p: as in, serial sessions
14:35 paul_p only 1 track, right = http://koha.1045719.n5.nabble.[…]me-td3069529.html
14:36 slef gmcharlt: we'd need library consultants to submit it, true
14:36 slef do any of the archives offer us a neat overview of topics/themes discussed over the last year?
14:36 kmkale spreading koha++
14:37 gmcharlt slef: I don't recall that the Texas conference had a particular theme, as such
14:37 mtj and teaching/encouraging libraries to attempt Koha install/migrations themselves
14:37 kmkale #help gmcharlt to draft call for papers
14:38 paul_p kmkale, do you think attendees will be more "I don't nothing about OSS & Koha" or "I may be interested in Koha, let me know more" ?
14:38 paul_p the programme would/could be different depending on the expected audience.
14:38 slef mtj: I'm unsure of that, for more than the obvious reason (my sales), because it risks koha becoming seen as more for those who want to try DIY
14:38 kmkale paul_p: attendees will be interested in Koha, let me know more
14:39 paul_p kmkale, in Paris, day 1 was for full-newbies day 2 was "I already use or plan to use Koha, tell me more"
14:39 slef mtj: but definitely a more mainstream intro to the liveCD and virtual machine versions would be good.
14:39 kmkale paul_p: koha awareness is quite high
14:39 slef mtj: I think there was a cloud/VM type intro in hackfest, but not in con?
14:40 kmkale somebody had suggested sessions on how to setup dev installs and getting started on koha dev
14:40 kmkale or was it for the hackfest?
14:40 mtj kmkale: hackfest i think
14:41 slef I guess a session on community participation for the masses (bug reporting demo, RFC demo, ...) might be good, if we get talks offered?
14:41 kmkale anyone interested in helping with the site
14:41 kmkale ?
14:41 mtj kohacon10 hackfest
14:41 kmkale yes slef good idea
14:41 kmkale i can give access to the site
14:41 slef kmkale: what sort of help? I'm now registered, thank you for the change.
14:42 kmkale I have put several placeholders in the site where I dont know what text to put
14:43 sekjal left #koha
14:43 wizzyrea left #koha
14:44 gmcharlt slef: +1 # community participation session
14:45 paul_p do we switch to the 2nd part of the KohaCon now ? (not clear to me)
14:45 slef kmkale: I'm happy to admin following requests from people, but I'd rather not lead any task just now if anyone else wants to do it (I have some local elections in May and July).
14:45 slef paul_p: 2nd part of the KohaCon?
14:45 paul_p ie: do we speak of the 2nd part?
14:46 paul_p (sorry, i've a meeting in // ...)
14:46 kmkale slef: I will give you access.
14:46 slef paul_p: define "2nd part"?
14:46 slef hackfest?
14:46 paul_p slef, the hackfest/developer part
14:46 paul_p yep
14:46 paul_p somebody had suggested sessions on how to setup dev installs and getting started on koha dev
14:46 paul_p or was it for the hackfest?
14:46 paul_p => kmkale few mn ago
14:47 slef paul_p: not specifically AIUI we're talking about general organisation
14:47 kmkale everyone please go through the site and let me know any text changes etc.
14:48 kmkale anyone wants rights on conf management in OCS let me know
14:48 kmkale paul_p: move on to hackfest?
14:50 paul_p kmkale, you decide, if you think you've informations you need/want for the 1st part ;-)
14:50 mtj kmkale: i now have an ocs account , will do…
14:50 kmkale to summarize 1st part lets send out call for papers, open registrations, review papers as they come in, after a while start thinking about organizing sessions
14:50 wizzyrea joined #koha
14:51 kmkale get help in travel guides
14:51 kmkale from different parts of the world
14:52 kmkale decide on keynote themes
14:52 kmkale did i miss out anything?
14:53 kmkale next meeting I will report progress from our sub comitees
14:53 kmkale one more thing how about a call for sponsors?
14:53 slef kmkale++
14:53 slef can ocs help with that?
14:54 kmkale ocs[…]ut/organizingTeam
14:54 kmkale has a section on sponsors
14:55 kmkale & anather on sources of support
14:55 slef could I add Registration Type: Prospective-Sponsor, perhaps?
14:55 kmkale but thats just text
14:55 kmkale actual work has to be done by us :)
14:55 paul_p kmkale, you can also ask or suggest about sociolizing time (what to do after each day ?)
14:55 kmkale slef: good idea
14:56 kmkale paul_p: good idea. so i can come up with a list of places to visit, shopping, get together, dinner etc etc
14:57 hdl left #koha
14:57 slef kmkale: ok, I will add that when I have ocs admin.
14:57 kmkale slef:++
14:57 paul_p kmkale, do you plan to organize something ? in Texas, there was a baseball match, in NZ a maori experience,...
14:58 kmkale planning on a day trip to Mumbai
14:58 paul_p (everybody pays for this event, but you organize)
14:58 paul_p kmkale, great !
14:58 slef Sorry but I am going to have to leave in about 5min
14:59 kmkale paul_p: hackfest discussion now?
14:59 mtj mumbai trip sounds great
14:59 paul_p kmkale, if you want.
15:00 kmkale take it away paul_p
15:00 paul_p (I repeat what I already have said) my strong opinion is that we must have 2 different parts: one to help ppl learning how to hack, and one for hacking
15:01 kmkale length pf hackfest?
15:01 paul_p both are equally important.
15:01 kmkale learn to hack++
15:01 paul_p kmkale, as long as possible 3days not enough according to me
15:01 kmkale we can organize let hackers say how long they want
15:01 paul_p 2 days learning to hack, then 3 days hack would be perfect !
15:02 kmkale paul_p: including weekends or excluding
15:02 kmkale ?
15:03 paul_p excluding
15:03 paul_p ++ to have some rest during the we
15:03 kmkale ok so 31st oct is monday
15:03 paul_p experimented in NZ = everybody was toooooo tired on hackfect day 3 !
15:03 kmkale so mon, tue, wed conference proper
15:03 paul_p in France, wk 1 = conf, then we, then wk2 = hackers
15:03 kmkale thursday mumbai trip
15:04 kmkale fri, sat learn to hack
15:04 kmkale sun rest
15:04 kmkale mon, tue, wed hack
15:04 kmkale ??
15:04 paul_p sounds really good !
15:04 kmkale in all 10 days
15:05 hdl joined #koha
15:05 kmkale can hackfest stuff be done in a classroom of say 30 ppl?
15:06 mtj yeah, i think so
15:06 paul_p kmkale, I feel yes
15:06 kmkale cool then we have many
15:06 paul_p but if you get 18k attendees, you may get 300 developers ;-)
15:07 magnus_away is now known as magnuse
15:07 paul_p in France we were 15, in Texas about 15, in NZ about 15 too !
15:07 kmkale hehe if that happens paul_p then biblibre better bring all its developers to teach parallel learn to hack sessions :)
15:08 paul_p lol
15:09 kmkale shall we toss around the hackfest discussion on thge lists so that we get more opinions? people really may not have 10 days
15:09 paul_p kmkale, if you pay the trip to all of us, then we could all come ;-)
15:09 slef I'm mobile so sorry for late/intermittent comments: remember that each extra day a travelling worker attends is probably an increased cost to their Koha buyers.
15:10 kmkale paul_p: if I could pay i would have attended kohacon in NZ ;)
15:10 paul_p i've the opposite opinion: once i'm here, I want to ROI my investment ;-)
15:10 mtj yeah, i agree with paul :)
15:10 kmkale ya mtj is coming eraly for Diwali too :)
15:11 slef so do I, but I don't see much return for us in past hackfests
15:11 slef kohacon more return, hackfest less
15:11 kmkale ok how do we go about finilizing hackfest duration and format? mailing list? vote?
15:12 mtj aww, the friendship and experience is nice, for hackfests
15:13 slef mtj: we have lots of friendship and experience within the co-op :)
15:13 mtj perhaps we discuss on the mailing lists for the next week?
15:13 mtj or do we just vote now?
15:13 kmkale mailing lists is better imho
15:13 slef final decision or decision method is up to kmkale IMO
15:13 paul_p mailing list++
15:14 kmkale slef: about hackfest its really upto developers
15:14 kmkale i don't want to be sitting there alone ;)
15:14 mtj mailling list++
15:14 kmkale so paul_p will you send a mail to the list about hackfest duration format proposal?
15:14 slef @karma list
15:14 huginn slef: Karma for "list" has been increased 3 times and decreased 1 time for a total karma of 2.
15:15 slef @karma mailing list
15:15 huginn slef: mailing list has neutral karma.
15:15 paul_p kmkale, if you want, or you can do it yourself if you prefer. I let you choose (it's your KohaCon ;) )
15:15 kmkale paul_p please do it if you can
15:15 paul_p ok, will do
15:16 kmkale thanks paul_p++
15:16 kmkale also how do we go about getting some sponsors?
15:16 mtj mailing-list again, i think....
15:17 slef once there's a sponsor registration type, let's call for sponsors on list, web and newsletter?
15:17 kmkale slef yes good idea
15:18 kmkale #action kmkale to give slef and gmcharlt admin rights on OCS
15:18 kmkale #action paul_p to send out hackfest discussion mail
15:18 kmkale anyone else has anything to discuss? any question to ask maybe?
15:19 gmcharlt #action gmcharlt to draft the call for presentatins
15:19 kmkale #action slef to create sponsor registration type post getting admin rights
15:19 kmkale time and date for next volunteers meeting?
15:20 sekjal joined #koha
15:20 mtj 2 or 4 weeks away? or too soon?
15:21 kmkale how about monthly meeting? rotated 8hrs?
15:21 mtj yeah, perfect
15:21 kmkale i had a couple of regrets due to the time of meeting today
15:21 paul_p ++ for me too
15:22 kmkale 5th april?
15:23 kmkale or 8th
15:23 paul_p 8th sound OK to me
15:24 kmkale time?
15:24 wahanui1 i heard time was a scary thing
15:24 kmkale huh
15:24 kmkale do we try to get the time as per most of volunteers convinience or go by the 8 hr thing?
15:25 slef make sure it's sane for you, then rotate or not as you wish IMO
15:25 gmcharlt kmkale: it's up to you
15:25 mtj 8 hr thing ++
15:26 druthb is now known as druthb_away
15:27 kmkale 6.00 uts on 8th april then?
15:27 LastBoyScout left #koha
15:27 kmkale *UTC
15:28 paul_p kmkale, OK for me
15:28 kmkale paul_p: I was afraid you would say too early ;)
15:29 kmkale agreed? 8th april 6.00UTC ??
15:29 mtj agreed
15:30 paul_p kmkale, will be 8AM for me (summer time), so OK
15:30 gmcharlt agreed
15:30 kmkale #action next irc meeting of Kohacon11 volunteers on 8th April 2011 at 6.00UTC
15:31 kmkale end meeting?
15:31 kmkale be happy to answer any queries about Thane, India, VPM etc
15:32 paul_p ok for end meeting
15:32 kmkale #endmeeting
15:32 Topic for #koha is now Koha 3.2.5 is now available | Next IRC meeting 6 Apr. 2011 10:00 UTC+0 | | This channel is logged | Pastes at
15:32 huginn Meeting ended Tue Mar  8 15:39:54 2011 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at . (v 0.1.4)
15:32 huginn Minutes:[…]-03-08-14.01.html
15:32 huginn Minutes (text):[…]1-03-08-14.01.txt
15:32 huginn Log:  […]08-14.01.log.html
15:32 mtj cool, nice work kmkale :)
15:32 kmkale :)
15:33 slef I think it would be great if you could write a quick guide page about Thane, India and VPM on the wiki or ocs :)
15:34 kmkale slef: will get someone in VPM to do that asap
15:34 slef kmkale: thanks
15:35 paul_p kmkale, sweet dreams!
15:35 kmkale bye all and a big thanks to all of you for helping :)
15:36 kmkale left #koha
15:36 * magnuse has taken a bit of a liberty:
15:44 magnuse is now known as magnus_away
16:08 sekjal quick ping of the collective brainpool:  anyone know of any work on patron self-registration?
16:10 LBA left #koha
16:12 druthb_away is now known as druthb
16:18 hdl sekjal: not here in Marseille
16:18 gmcharlt sekjal: nor in Florida
16:19 sekjal okay, thanks... a partner of ours got what looks like some bad information, so wanted to check to see if I was missing something
16:25 braedon left #koha
16:38 jwagner Would someone who knows authorities like to take a look at Bug 5842 ?
16:38 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=5842 normal, P5, ---, gmcharlt, NEW, Cross-Reference links to authorized fields give incomplete search results
16:39 braedon joined #koha
16:39 jcamins jwagner: around?
16:39 jwagner yes
16:40 jcamins jwagner: never mind, that was a dumb question. You just said something.
16:40 jwagner I could have been sleep-typing :-)
16:40 jcamins No, I think that was me. ;)
16:40 jcamins I'm looking for my related bug.
16:41 jwagner about authorities & cross-ref searches?  I didn't spot anything likely, but I don't seem to have good luck searching bugzilla
16:42 jcamins Yeah, it was just pushed.
16:42 jcamins Hm. Bugzilla is down.
16:42 jcamins Bug 5810.
16:42 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=5810 enhancement, PATCH-Sent, ---, jcamins, ASSIGNED, Subject tracings should search complete subfields
16:42 jcamins I actually implemented a syspref that does exactly what you describe.
16:43 jwagner Making it do a zebra search instead of an authority search?
16:43 jcamins Right.
16:43 jcamins TracingsUseAuthorities or something like that.
16:44 jcamins UseAuthoritiesForTracings
16:44 jwagner And you got it to work in staff XSLT? I couldn't for some reason.
16:44 jcamins Yeah, there were some problems with that.
16:45 jcamins I also restructured some of the XSLTs a bit.
16:45 jcamins The problem is that our XSLT processor does not follow the standard wrt scoping.
16:45 jwagner So you were solving a quite different problem, but the solution might work for mine as well.
16:46 jcamins I solved two problems, actually.
16:46 jcamins Mine and yours.
16:46 jcamins I couldn't get a sign-off for *my* solution, because everyone else ran into your problem.
16:46 jcamins ;)
16:47 jwagner Hrrrmmmm.  I still have not figured out the signoff process (or how to download and apply a patch), but I might be tempted to for thiis....
16:49 jcamins Oh, that wasn't pushed. It must have been pushed to a branch.
16:49 jcamins jwagner:[…]gn_off_on_patches
16:50 kf left #koha
16:51 jcamins jwagner: you'll probably need to change "origin/master" to "kc/master" (or whatever you call your remote).
16:51 jwagner Can I just ftp the patch file to my server & apply that way?
16:51 mib_089zzb joined #koha
16:51 jcamins Yeah, that's the step before the wiki page picks up.
16:52 jcamins I guess I should fix that.
16:54 mib_089zzb left #koha
16:57 druthb1 joined #koha
16:59 jwagner jcamins, lots of merge conflicts, let's see if I can figure out how to resolve them.
17:00 jcamins Yeah, it's based on latest Master.
17:01 jwagner That's what I'm working on
17:01 jcamins Hm.
17:01 nengard left #koha
17:01 jwagner lots of problems with the installer files
17:01 jcamins And you got merge conflicts?
17:02 jcamins That's not good.
17:02 jwagner So far they seem to be nugatory -- just remove the <<< lines
17:03 jcamins Oh, I bet it was my other patch that was pushed.
17:03 atz that would do it
17:03 jwagner I'm using the patch file that was attached to the bug
17:03 jwagner should I be using something else?
17:04 druthb left #koha
17:04 jcamins jwagner: oh, it looks like the one attached to the bug isn't the latest.
17:04 jcamins I'll attach a new one.
17:05 jcamins Hold on.
17:05 mib_vpoxht joined #koha
17:05 jwagner Argghh!  I think I just got through fixing the conflicts :-)
17:05 jcamins It'll be exactly the same, except signed-off.
17:08 mib_vpoxht left #koha
17:10 jwagner OK, how do I break out of this unfinished merge on this branch and start over?
17:11 jwagner It's got lots of files it's complaining about, and I just want to scrap everything.
17:11 jcamins git am --abort I think
17:12 jwagner No, not a valid flag.
17:12 druthb1 git am --skip
17:12 jwagner Tried skipping, that didn't work either.
17:12 druthb1 is now known as druthb
17:13 jwagner Now I'm trying git checkout for all the filenames, doesn't seem to like that either :-(
17:13 jcamins git reset --hard qa-bug_5810
17:14 * jcamins generaly takes the sledgehammer approach to git repository management
17:14 jcamins s/generaly/generally
17:14 jwagner Well, that worked :-)
17:14 jwagner Now download the new patch & start over?
17:15 jcamins Right.
17:17 jwagner Argh.  Just as many merge conflicts, sigh.
17:19 sophie_m left #koha
17:22 hdl left #koha
17:27 jwagner Finally got a version merged -- I think the wiki page is missing a step.  I had to do a git add <filename> for all the modified files before resuming the merge
17:28 jwagner jcamins, your two sysprefs, for what I want to do, should they both be set to 'don't'?
17:28 jcamins Yes.
17:31 jwagner Hmmm.  I see one problem.  OPAC works the way I want it to (use zebra instead of the authority link).  Staff, the staff results list uses the au: search instead of authority link for author. However, if you display the title record, the author link is still the authority record.
17:31 jwagner subject links are OK in staff display
17:36 jcamins jwagner: hm. I will work up a follow-up patch for you to sign.
17:36 jcamins Or you could work up a follow-up patch for me to sign, which might be more efficient.
17:38 paul_p left #koha
17:40 jwagner Assuming I understand how your patch works....
17:40 jcamins It's very straightforward.
17:43 jcamins Yeah, looks like I just forgot to add "and $UseAuthoritiesForTracings='1'" to the showAuthor template.
17:48 jwagner Yep, had to change MARC21slim2intranetDetail.xsl and MARC21slimUtils.xsl but it seems to be working now.
17:48 jwagner So now how do I format the patch? I assume since I modified it I can't do the signoff bit
17:49 jcamins git format-patch -s origin/master
17:49 jcamins That'll give you two files.
17:49 jwagner I have to git commit first, don't I
17:50 jwagner ?
17:50 jcamins Oh, yes.
17:50 jwagner Regular old git commit, or something fancy?
17:50 jcamins Just a regular git commit.
17:51 jwagner OK, got the two files.  Upload them both to the bugzilla page, or just the second one?
17:52 jcamins Both.
17:53 jcamins I'll sign off on the follow up, and resend it to the list.
17:53 jcamins (since it's changed)
17:54 Brooke_ joined #koha
17:54 jwagner Mark your singed-off version as obsolete?
17:54 Brooke_ kia ora!
17:54 druthb hi, Brooke_  :)
17:55 jcamins Yes.
17:55 jwagner that's signed, not singed :-)
17:55 jwagner OK, all uploaded.
17:56 jcamins Thanks!
17:56 Brooke_ sechsy:
17:57 jwagner Thank you for the fix!
17:57 jcamins You're welcome. :)
17:58 jwagner one caveat, though, which I'll add to the bug report -- your patch didn't address UNIMARC files, correct?
17:58 jcamins That's correct.
17:58 jwagner They also use the code=9 construct
17:58 jcamins Yeah, but the XSLT is structured very differently, and I wasn't confident of my ability to test.
17:59 jwagner We'll let a UNIMARC user do that one -- just wanted to point it out in the bug report.
18:00 jcamins Yeah.
18:01 jwagner To clarify, you're now going to sign off (and thus send another patch file)?
18:01 jcamins Yes.
18:03 Brooke_ jcamins++
18:03 wizzyrea_mib joined #koha
18:20 wizzyrea_mib left #koha
18:44 Brooke_ don't all talk at once.
18:49 * ibeardslee was just waiting for a quiet moment
18:49 * Brooke_ suspects so.
18:49 Brooke_ clearly everyone saves their chattiness for a meeting.
18:50 * wizzyrea is not feeling very chatty
18:50 * druthb isn't, either, much.
18:51 Brooke_ lies!
18:51 druthb @quote get 102
18:51 huginn druthb: Quote #102: "<druthb> harrrumph!" (added by gmcharlt at 07:42 PM, November 11, 2010)
18:52 Brooke_ huginn druthb?
18:52 huginn Brooke_: downloading the Perl source
18:52 Brooke_ wha?!
18:52 Brooke_ wahanui1 druthb?
18:52 wahanui1 druthb is a rockstar!
18:52 * druthb blushes.
18:52 Brooke_ Hmph. I suppose that'll do.
18:52 druthb wahanui1: Brooke_?
18:52 wahanui1 rumour has it Brooke_ is hearing no objections
18:53 Brooke_ that one could be worse, I suppose.
18:53 jcamins My cat has a cold, too. :(
18:53 Brooke_ oh really?
18:53 Brooke_ Is it still eating properly?
18:53 * Brooke_ s cat sneezed all over her at one point many moons ago.
18:54 jcamins I think he's eating.
18:55 Brooke_ pfft, tomcats.
18:55 jcamins Brooke_: technically "he" is an "it," but we let him pretend that's not the case. ;)
18:56 Brooke_ what's his name?
18:57 jcamins Myshkin.
18:57 * Brooke_ points out that this is all very important from a development standpoint.
18:57 Brooke_ ooh I like that.
18:58 Brooke_ after the idiot or the place?
18:58 jcamins The Prince. :)
18:58 * Brooke_ nods.
18:59 Brooke_ off I go.
18:59 Brooke_ left #koha
19:07 braedon left #koha
19:12 druthb is now known as druthb_phone
19:17 cait joined #koha
19:17 cait left #koha
19:17 hdl joined #koha
19:22 Ahmuck left #koha
19:31 nengard joined #koha
19:34 druthb_phone is now known as druthb
19:38 rangi_stdc joined #koha
19:39 rangi_stdc left #koha
19:44 jcamins is now known as jcamins_away
19:50 cait joined #koha
20:10 wizzyrea cait: these are evil, and wonderful:
20:11 cait ah haribo
20:11 cait :)
20:11 cait about the sql statement: it was not always there, got in with the parameters in sql reports - and because the current output is very ugly
20:11 cait in my eyes
20:12 cait but I am open for discussion here - at least it should be formatted
20:12 cait it's not even wrapped in a html tag I can hide at the moment
20:13 wizzyrea formatting = good, ability to hide = good
20:13 wizzyrea i personally like seeing it
20:14 cait okok
20:14 cait but have no time to work on it today
20:14 wizzyrea it's cool :)
20:14 wizzyrea no worries
20:20 jwagner left #koha
20:28 Ahmuck joined #koha
20:58 JesseM left #koha
21:06 sekjal left #koha
21:09 magnus_away left #koha
21:19 sekjal joined #koha
21:29 hdl left #koha
21:33 collum left #koha
21:45 cait sekjal: reading about your idea for the cart - how would we seelct items into the cart?
21:46 cait at the moment it works from the record and from the result list
21:48 sekjal where it's possible to select items individually (like on the details page) we could, either with checkboxes or links like "add to cart"
21:48 sekjal from search results, it could be defaulted to add all items for the title
21:48 sekjal then they could be removed later
21:53 cait ok, no more questions :)
21:53 cait I like the idea
22:01 nengard left #koha
22:01 sekjal we'd also be able to have an interface to add them to cart from a barcode scanner
22:02 cait :)
22:19 druthb left #koha
22:23 sekjal okay, time to go do taxes...
22:23 wizzyrea gl
22:23 * sekjal crosses fingers for a goodly sized refund
22:24 sekjal left #koha
22:34 juan-xercode left #koha
22:34 juan-xercode joined #koha
22:34 miguelxercode joined #koha
22:42 cait left #koha
22:59 NateC left #koha
23:01 Judit joined #koha
23:01 Judit hi
23:12 hilongo left #koha
23:49 mtj quick 3m self check quesyion here.......
23:49 mtj anyone know of anyone using them?
23:52 rhcl_away I think sekjal would probably know of people using them
23:52 rhcl_away and maybe wizzyrea
23:53 mtj yeah, ill ask liz/nekls/bywater

| Channels | #koha index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | plain, newest first | summary