IRC log for #koha, 2020-07-15

All times shown according to UTC.

Time S Nick Message
00:17 inlibro joined #koha
00:37 alexbuckley hi all, a quick question. I want to enter a non-public note on a biblio record but don't want to have to add it to each individual item as you'd have to do using the 952$x. Is there an alternative suitabl marc subfield I could add a nonpublic note too?
00:40 lukeG1 joined #koha
01:17 inlibro joined #koha
02:17 inlibro joined #koha
02:22 kathryn__ joined #koha
02:49 tcohen hola
02:50 tcohen alexbuckley are you asking MARC21 questions?
02:50 tcohen or is it item notes?
02:50 tcohen aleisha recalls?
02:50 aleisha alexbuckley: ?
02:50 aleisha yes tcohen bug 19532
02:50 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=19532 new feature, P1 - high, ---, aleisha, Needs Signoff , Recalls for Koha
02:51 alexbuckley its a marc21 question tcohen
02:51 alexbuckley ah thanks aleisha
02:51 tcohen Joubu is AFK for some more days, get it through QA and I'll push it :-P
02:51 tcohen LOL
02:51 tcohen those are authority record notes
02:52 tcohen I think you should pick a 59X (local notes)
02:53 alexbuckley ahh 590$a perhaps
02:53 aleisha ah true
02:53 alexbuckley 590 looks to be indexed too which is a plus
02:53 tcohen maybe it means extra work if you need to display it on the UI
02:54 tcohen (unless you play with GET /api/v1/biblios/:biblio_id and JS
02:54 tcohen ^.^
02:55 alexbuckley true! I'd only want it visible in the staff client
02:55 tcohen extra work == does the XSLT include it already?
02:56 alexbuckley as far as I can see xslt doesn't display it now, but it is visible in 'Description' tab in staff client
02:57 tcohen right
02:58 tcohen lukeG did a great job using the API to render stuffs on the detail view
02:58 tcohen for a ByWater partner
02:58 tcohen as you can fetch the MARC-in-JSON record and just traverse it to get the data
03:00 alexbuckley oh interesting, I've never done any work with that before, I'll look into it. thanks so much for your help!
03:00 tcohen in Theke we are starting to leverage on the API as much as we can
03:01 tcohen we don't like maintaining XSLTs
03:01 tcohen :-D
03:01 tcohen we don't like XSLT at al
03:01 tcohen all
03:01 alexbuckley ah so its basically an alternative to customising and maintaining XSLT's?
03:02 tcohen the cool thing about APIs, is that you can get creative and use them for whatever you want
03:02 tcohen when I wrote the /biblios route for fetching in various formats I was targeting this use case
03:04 alexbuckley it certainly does sound way simpler than loads of xslt files to maintain!
03:05 tcohen the more we use the APIs the more we find the design issues and make them mature
03:05 tcohen that one, specifically, won't probably change in a long time
03:06 tcohen so it is one to rely on
03:08 alexbuckley good to know :) you added it in bug 24908 ?
03:08 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=24908 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, tomascohen, RESOLVED FIXED, Allow fetching text-formatted MARC data
03:16 tcohen on that one I just added the $record->as_formatted output
03:17 tcohen it was bug 23677
03:17 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=23677 new feature, P5 - low, ---, tomascohen, Pushed to master , Add API route to get a bibliographic record
03:17 tcohen and there's an OPAC counterpart
03:17 tcohen bug 24909
03:17 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=24909 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, tomascohen, Pushed to oldstable , Add unprivileged route to get a bibliographic record
03:18 inlibro joined #koha
03:18 alexbuckley ahh ok thanks for that!
03:51 cait joined #koha
04:18 inlibro joined #koha
05:14 tcohen anyone for a quick SO?
05:14 tcohen bug 21468
05:14 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=21468 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, martin.renvoize, Needs Signoff , Plugins need hooks for checkin and checkout actions.
05:18 inlibro joined #koha
05:20 cait joined #koha
05:29 sophie_m joined #koha
05:39 did joined #koha
06:16 lmstrand joined #koha
06:18 inlibro joined #koha
06:31 kohaputti joined #koha
06:42 reiveune joined #koha
06:43 reiveune hello
06:46 cait joined #koha
06:47 cait1 joined #koha
07:00 alex_a joined #koha
07:18 inlibro joined #koha
07:23 philor_ joined #koha
07:27 davidnind joined #koha
07:47 cait joined #koha
07:55 cait1 joined #koha
08:18 inlibro joined #koha
08:29 kohaputti anybody gotten SIP server work in koha-testing-docker? For me it starts but doesn't accept any connections
08:30 kohaputti Undefined subroutine &C4::SIP::SIPServer::set_logger called at /kohadevbox/koha/C4/SIP/ line 106.
08:34 ashimema how does one test bug 15522 ?
08:34 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=15522 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart, Signed Off , New interface for revamped circulation rules
08:35 ashimema I've just checked out the branch.. but all I see in the circ rules page is 'Loading, please wait...'
08:35 ashimema forever
08:39 kohaputti ashimema, the status "Signed off" is wrong? I think it was added when lari tested the patches attached to the bug report, but those are not the ones that we want to use
08:39 kohaputti we should mark the patches in the bug report obsolete if that is the case
08:39 ashimema lol.. I hadn't even looked at the status ;)
08:40 ashimema I just wanted to take a quick look at it.
08:40 kohaputti maybe the patches just don't work anymore
08:40 ashimema I thought Joubu had maintained his branch
08:40 kohaputti last update 5 months ago?
08:40 ashimema or maybe there's another branch now.. I'll dig down the comments
08:41 ashimema there's feedback coming in on the bottom of the bug.. so they must be running it somehow :(
08:42 kohaputti ashimema, so you checked out the new branch and did reset_all?
08:42 kohaputti I mean
08:43 kohaputti ashimema, also maybe those testers used the patches that lari had signed off and added followups for...
08:49 kohaputti figured out my problem with koha-testing-docker, the kohadev-koha user doesn't have PERL5LIB set
08:50 kohaputti (with koha specific paths)
08:50 ashimema brb.. meeting
08:52 nlegrand joined #koha
08:52 nlegrand Bonjour #koha !
09:02 ashimema yeah.. I checked out the branch and reset everything
09:03 ashimema I'll try applying the bug instead.. though I bet there will be conflicts
09:03 kohaputti ashimema, I remember the patchset that preceded this required specific version of misc_tools... Anyway, easiest way to debug is probably check why it doesn't load or just wait for joubu to rebase to current master
09:04 kohaputti ashimema, but the patches in the bug are totally different?
09:04 * ashimema is not using misc3dev for this.. testing using a local test dataset
09:07 kohaputti ah well, this patch set doesn't look to have any db specific changes so maybe it shouldn't matter here
09:08 ashimema hmm
09:08 ashimema think I'll give up
09:08 kohaputti but maybe there has been some new db changes in master.
09:08 ashimema perhaps
09:08 kohaputti (I'm guessing your local test dataset is for master)
09:09 kohaputti has Joubu been around, btw?
09:09 ashimema well.. it's an 18.11 I use and then run updatedatabase ;)
09:09 ashimema no worries
09:09 ashimema Joubu is on his holidays
09:10 kohaputti ok, thanks for the info
09:13 ashimema he's vaguely around now and then.. if there's something urgent tochen and I still have push rights on master and permission from Joubu to push anything important ;)
09:13 * ashimema is tempted to jump in and fix the automicupdate that's hanging around
09:19 inlibro joined #koha
09:24 sophie_m joined #koha
10:06 kohaputti turns out the issue with sip2 server was within koha / the refactoring of SIP2 logging: https://bugs.koha-community.or[…]cgi?id=15253#c102
10:06 huginn Bug 15253: enhancement, P5 - low, ---, kyle, Pushed to master , Add Koha::Logger based logging for SIP2
10:06 kohaputti The C4::SIP::Logger module doesn't export get_logger and set_logger
10:08 kohaputti I think I have had this code working on ubuntu 20.04 machine
10:11 kohaputti nope, it fails even on installed debian package
10:19 inlibro joined #koha
10:20 kohaputti ok, updated koha now on multiple machines from a version before the refactoring and all have the same issue
10:27 cait1 ashimema: maybe tcohen could - i think he pushed something already... so barrier might be lower :)
10:27 cait1 ah shoudl read all the things, you could too
10:30 ashimema hehe
10:35 enkidu joined #koha
10:42 kohaputti khall_, I'm puzzled how you have been submitting patches for SIP2 server and not come across this, or did you hack your way through?
11:03 alex_a joined #koha
11:19 inlibro joined #koha
11:23 oleonard Hi all
11:25 kidclamp hi oleonard
11:25 wahanui hi oleopard
11:32 davidnind left #koha
11:33 enkidu joined #koha
11:36 alex_a joined #koha
11:40 kohaputti git-bz cannot handle bug reports with utf-8 chars in title :D
11:42 kohaputti I submitted the fix now for SIP2 server crash: Bug 25992 – would be nice if someone could sign-off and qa it asap so people can move forward testing other sip2 patches that are waiting QA/sign-off
11:42 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=25992 critical, P5 - low, ---, koha-bugs, Needs Signoff , SIP2 server doesn't start - Undefined subroutine set_logger
11:50 sophie_m joined #koha
11:51 did joined #koha
11:51 fridolin joined #koha
12:13 tcohen morning
12:15 oleonard Hi tcohen
12:15 auvajs joined #koha
12:18 auvajs Hello. I'm new to koha, trying to install it on Ubuntu server. I followed the instructions and installed the software, but when I log in to the Web installer, it shows several Perl modules missing. This is strange since for example the first one is HTTPD::Bench::ApacheBench but I installed it meanwhile
12:19 inlibro joined #koha
12:20 auvajs could somebody help me please?
12:20 tcohen auvajs don't worry about those that say they are used for testing purposes
12:20 tcohen Ah, it doesn't say it on the UI!
12:21 auvajs tcohen: well most importantly I can't continue the installation process
12:21 tcohen tell us more
12:21 tcohen that one shouldn't prevent the install process, specifically
12:21 tcohen is this a packages install?
12:22 tcohen Ubuntu? What version? Is it supported? etc
12:22 tcohen
12:22 tcohen ^^ those shouldn't block an install
12:23 auvajs tcohen:
12:23 oleonard Only Locale::Language is required to continue
12:23 tcohen mtj will be interested in the Ubuntu version, and the Koha version
12:24 tcohen if this is a packages install, it should be installed automatically, hence I repeat: what Ubuntu and Koha versions?
12:24 auvajs Ubuntu 19.10
12:24 tcohen go on
12:25 auvajs what's the command for koha version please? :)
12:25 tcohen what instructions have you been following?
12:26 tcohen you most probably installed using a Debian repository
12:26 tcohen so
12:26 tcohen apt show koha-common
12:26 auvajs tcohgen:
12:26 tcohen right
12:26 auvajs cohen* sorry for the typo
12:27 tcohen apt show koha-common
12:27 auvajs
12:28 tcohen I suggest
12:29 tcohen - That you install on an LTS release (20.04)
12:29 tcohen - That you manually install the library
12:29 tcohen the latter, if you cannot pick an LTS
12:30 tcohen I don't find it packaged for 19.10
12:30 tcohen so I suggest you do
12:30 tcohen $ sudo apt install cpanminus
12:30 tcohen wait
12:31 auvajs I'm using Google Cloud Platform and I think thay didn't have 20.04 for the zone/region I needed
12:31 tcohen try installing libintl-perl
12:32 tcohen and this is a packaging bug probably
12:32 auvajs libintl-perl allready installed
12:32 tcohen ok
12:32 tcohen $ sudo apt install cpanminus
12:33 tcohen $ sudo cpanm -i Language::Locale
12:33 tcohen sorry Locale::Language
12:33 tcohen he
12:35 auvajs tcohen: it shows some errors but I'll try to follow the instructions they suggest there
12:37 auvajs or if you think that starting all over with Ubuntu 20.04 would be easier I may give it a try as well
12:37 tcohen if I was you, I would actually pick Debian 9
12:38 auvajs well been using Ubuntu since more than 10 years and been totally used to it :)
12:38 tcohen fair enough, I like it as well
12:39 tcohen it is just that us devs test all the time on Debian
12:39 tcohen anyway, Koha is tested in Ubuntu as well
12:39 tcohen the wiki you pasted, it has a supported OS list
12:40 auvajs in this phase it's still possible for me to delete the VM instance and start all over, it will only take couple minutes
12:40 tcohen you can try
12:40 tcohen sudo cpanm -i Locale::Language@2.07
12:40 auvajs tcohen: well I run some other software/websites on the server, not only Koha
12:48 lmstrand Would any of you happen to know an easy way to get a time stamp printed in a me-friendly form like  12:36:07::xxx with milliseconds?
12:50 tcohen "printed"?
12:52 bdonnahue1 joined #koha
12:53 lmstrand to console
12:54 lmstrand I want to see how much time has passed after stuff is finished.
12:54 thd joined #koha
12:54 tcohen are you trying to profile some Koha script/code?
12:55 lmstrand yes
12:55 lmstrand I want to see how long my proxy server handles incoming SIP calls for.
12:55 tcohen https://wiki.koha-community.or[…]th_Devel::NYTProf
12:56 kohaputti lmstrand, why?
12:57 kohaputti profiling is useful for optimizing your code but are you after that or something else
12:57 lmstrand it takes too long to handle multiple concurrent inputs and the time it takes to handle the requests just grows and grows.
12:58 lmstrand I don't think I can use that in my case.
12:59 lmstrand My script is separate from koha plugins
12:59 kohaputti I have not come across such issue with koha's sip2 server, maybe the issue is withing your proxy program?
12:59 lmstrand the problem is either in the api endpoint or in my proxy server
13:00 lmstrand I could just skip the sip server processing altogether and return a dummy value and see if the processing time stays stable.
13:00 kohaputti lmstrand, did study socket programming yet? Maybe you are not closing the connection and the amount of available sip server gets to 0 and then it times out and only after that your proxy continues to work
13:01 lmstrand I'm closing the socket connection that the proxy server uses with the api endpoint after the message has been returned from the sip server.
13:02 lmstrand But the one that passes messages from my proxy server to the sip server stays open, unless the sip server closes it.
13:03 kohaputti and that is your issue, isn't it?
13:03 kohaputti you need to close the connection after being done with your business
13:03 lmstrand It can't be closed, otherwise the session gets closed with the sip server.
13:03 lmstrand And the sip server requires a new login from the sip device
13:05 lmstrand I'm inside a while loop, the one and only connection to the sipserver stays open for as long as the sipserver allows it to stay open.
13:07 lmstrand the first message to the sip server to process, the one that logs in a sipdevice takes 150ms to process on my pc.
13:08 lmstrand If I spam the sip server with the same message over and over again the processing time grows into over half a second.
13:10 lmstrand and beyond.
13:14 kohaputti lmstrand, what you just said above is not how you are supposed to implement the proxy because it doesn't authenticate individual requests then, and also this is a bit off-topic for #koha
13:15 sophie_m joined #koha
13:15 lmstrand True that :D
13:16 lmstrand I was just after a simple timestamp with milliseconds
13:19 inlibro joined #koha
13:23 Marie-Luce joined #koha
13:42 auvajs hello.. so I successfully installed koha :) now my first question.. it appears there are several libraries preinstalled. I want to delete them and have only "my" library. I managed to delete some of those that were set by the system but I can't delete some of them - "This library cannot be deleted. Patrons or items are still using it (9 patrons)." .. this is strange since I have no patrons or units at all -
13:42 auvajs it's a fresh new install!
13:43 ashimema cait, cait1, cait2.. any of you around?
13:43 oleonard auvajs it sounds like you installed the sample data
13:44 auvajs oleonard: well yes I checked all the buttons, lol
13:45 oleonard auvajs some of the sample data is general, like bibliographic frameworks. Other sample data is really only for testing, like patrons, libraries, etc.
13:45 oleonard auvajs you may want to drop and recreate the database and re-run the installer
13:46 auvajs oleonard: ok tnx I'll try this
13:47 oleonard auvajs you're in the Czech Republic?
13:47 auvajs is there some koha tool or do I need to manually delete it in the database?
13:47 auvajs oleonard: yes
13:48 * oleonard has visited a few times and loved it
13:48 auvajs oleonard: cool :)
13:49 oleonard I don't think there is a tool specifically for dropping and recreating the db, but there is a command that gives you a mysql shell
13:49 oleonard https://wiki.koha-community.or[…]packages#Database
13:52 auvajs since this is a fresh install maybe I can just delete the databse and run the installer again
14:00 tcohen drop the database and create an empty one
14:01 tcohen with the same name
14:03 lukeG1 joined #koha
14:04 ashimema next meeting?
14:04 wahanui somebody said next meeting was https://wiki.koha-community.or[…]Next_IRC_meetings
14:04 oleonard That's what I was wondering ashimema
14:05 ashimema ooh.. about now aint it?
14:05 ashimema No Joubu again however :(
14:07 ashimema #startmeeting Development IRC meeting 15 July 2020
14:07 tcohen where were the instructions for chairing?
14:07 huginn Meeting started Wed Jul 15 14:07:17 2020 UTC.  The chair is ashimema. Information about MeetBot at
14:07 huginn Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
14:07 Topic for #koha is now  (Meeting topic: Development IRC meeting 15 July 2020)
14:07 huginn The meeting name has been set to 'development_irc_meeting_15_july_2020'
14:07 ashimema #chair cait tcohen
14:07 huginn Warning: Nick not in channel: cait
14:07 huginn Current chairs: ashimema cait tcohen
14:07 ashimema #info Agenda: https://wiki.koha-community.or[…]ting_15_July_2020
14:08 ashimema #topic Introductions
14:08 Topic for #koha is now Introductions (Meeting topic: Development IRC meeting 15 July 2020)
14:08 oleonard QA team?
14:08 wahanui QA team are the real gatekeepers, send cookies their way
14:08 ashimema #info Please introduce yourselves with #info to appear in the minutes
14:08 oleonard :(
14:08 ashimema #info Martin Renvoize, PTFS Europe
14:08 oleonard #info Owen Leonard, Athens County Public Libraries, Ohio, USA
14:08 talljoy #info Joy Nelson, Bywater Solutions
14:08 ashimema qa team
14:08 ashimema cait lucasg
14:09 ashimema matts
14:09 ashimema jajm
14:09 tcohen #info Tomas Cohen Arazi, Theke Solutions
14:09 ashimema tuxayo
14:09 thd #info Thomas Dukleth, Agogme, New York City
14:09 oleonard rmaints?
14:09 wahanui lukeG, aleisha, and tuxayo, I SUMMON THEE!!
14:09 lukeG1 #info Lucas Gass, ByWater Solutions
14:10 kidclamp #info, Nick Clemens, ByWater Solutions
14:10 lukeG1 Rmaint going well, we should be good to release on July 22 with a string freeze on the 15th
14:10 jajm #info Julian Maurice, BibLibre (not 100% there)
14:10 ashimema #topic Announcements
14:10 Topic for #koha is now Announcements (Meeting topic: Development IRC meeting 15 July 2020)
14:10 tcohen jajm 80%?
14:11 ashimema not sure we have any..?
14:11 ashimema #info Nothing to announce
14:11 ashimema #topic Updates from the release manager
14:11 Topic for #koha is now Updates from the release manager (Meeting topic: Development IRC meeting 15 July 2020)
14:11 tcohen Joubu is pushing the majors and critical ones today
14:12 ashimema #info RM is on holiday but has assigned tcohen and ashimema for urgent issues and is checking in occasionally
14:12 ashimema #info Joubu will be pushing majors and criticals later today
14:12 ashimema #topic Update from the release maintainers
14:12 Topic for #koha is now Update from the release maintainers (Meeting topic: Development IRC meeting 15 July 2020)
14:12 ashimema your turn lukeG1 ;)
14:13 lukeG1 Rmaint going well, we should be good to release on July 22 with a string freeze on the 15th
14:13 lukeG1 :)
14:14 ashimema #info rmaint is going well, we should be on target for the next releases on July 22nd and string freeze on the 15th
14:14 ashimema that probably covers us ;)
14:14 ashimema #topic Updates from the QA team
14:14 Topic for #koha is now Updates from the QA team (Meeting topic: Development IRC meeting 15 July 2020)
14:14 ashimema cait
14:15 tcohen we are great, working more than ever
14:15 ashimema anyone else from QA?
14:15 ashimema hehe
14:16 ashimema #info QA team are working hard but numbers remain high.
14:16 oleonard Hm, some editorializing...
14:16 oleonard ;)
14:16 tcohen hehe
14:16 ashimema #info 84 bugs in the queue.
14:17 ashimema haha
14:17 ashimema did we pick the next bug to hit as a group.. where are we at with the table merges bug now
14:17 tcohen I signed it
14:17 ashimema It's had tcohen and I SO on it.. I think we were hoping for one more QA person to check it out?
14:18 tcohen that's correct
14:18 tcohen I also proposed kidclamp and khall_ to work on the circ rules UI revamp on friday
14:20 inlibro joined #koha
14:20 ashimema #info Looking for a final QA signoff on bug 20271, tochen and ashimema have both done their testing
14:20 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=20271 enhancement, P1 - high, ---, jonathan.druart, Signed Off , Merge deleted biblio, biblioitems, biblio_metadata, and items tables
14:20 ashimema haha.. I've been working on that today :)
14:20 oleonard davidnind and I have been slowly testing Bug 19532
14:20 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=19532 new feature, P1 - high, ---, aleisha, Needs Signoff , Recalls for Koha
14:21 ashimema #action ashimema is working on qa for bug 15522
14:21 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=15522 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart, Signed Off , New interface for revamped circulation rules
14:22 ashimema ok
14:22 ashimema #topic Actions from last meeting
14:22 Topic for #koha is now Actions from last meeting (Meeting topic: Development IRC meeting 15 July 2020)
14:22 ashimema did I see tuxayo around?
14:23 ashimema ok.. lets role is forward
14:23 ashimema #action tuxayo - write a proposal for handing over stable branches
14:23 ashimema I'm thinking the whole template idea isn't so great at the moment.. I couldn't come up with a good bug report for is so it's perhaps not a worthwhile endeavour at this point
14:23 ashimema shelving
14:25 ashimema #info Ashimema did a quick draft accessibility guideline to promote the use of  `.maincontent`
14:25 ashimema #link https://wiki.koha-community.or[…]Coding_Guidelines#.5BDRAFT.5D_ACC1:All_OPAC_pages_require_a_single.27block.27_with_the_.27.maincontent.27_class Draft Guideline
14:25 ashimema perhaps we can vote on it next meeting when we are more corate
14:25 ashimema tallerjoy.. did you get any further with terminology guidelines?
14:26 talljoy i did!
14:26 talljoy i sent the proposal on the koha-devel list.
14:26 talljoy TERM3: Inclusive Language
14:26 talljoy Use inclusive language that promotes a community where everyone feels they are represented.  Avoid terms that express or imply negative ideas that are racist, colonialist, or otherwise biased towards groups of people.  Refer to the terminology list for terms to use/avoid.
14:26 talljoy Example: Instead of using the term blacklist, use deny list which more accurately describes its function.
14:26 ashimema oops.. shows I missed it.. my bad
14:26 talljoy the email has explanations and resources for those interested in reading more.
14:27 ashimema #info Joy send a proposal for an Inclusive language guideline to the mailing lists
14:27 ashimema #info Use inclusive language that promotes a community where everyone feels they are represented.  Avoid terms that express or imply negative ideas that are racist, colonialist, or otherwise biased towards groups of people.  Refer to the terminology list for terms to use/avoid.
14:27 ashimema sounds great to me..
14:27 ashimema shall we vote on it.. or just add it as is
14:27 * ashimema is happy for the later.. I can't see anyone complaining ;)
14:28 talljoy i'm happy to add it to the wiki page
14:28 kidclamp add it :-)
14:28 kidclamp (informal voting)
14:28 ashimema go for it :)
14:28 talljoy will do it!
14:28 ashimema #action talljoy to add the guideline as proposed to the official guidelines wiki page
14:28 ashimema perfect :)
14:29 ashimema it's recorded now.. so we'll be poking you next meeting if you havent;.. hehe
14:29 ashimema ok.. so I totally forgot about the direct object notation stuff.. I'll carry that one forward
14:30 ashimema #action ashimema to propose a guideline ragarding using direction object notation rather than indirect object notation
14:30 ashimema no tuxayo again.. so lets carry that one too
14:30 ashimema #action tuxayo - prepare draft update to SQL11 to improve consistency for descriptions in kohastructure files
14:30 ashimema dang.. forgot to update requirements too
14:30 ashimema #action ashimema to update minimum koha requirements on the website
14:31 ashimema cait?
14:31 wahanui cait is qa manager
14:31 oleonard cait1?
14:31 wahanui well, cait1 is dding you to the group now too
14:31 kidclamp and a darn good one too
14:31 ashimema did I miss an email from cait promoting discussion regarding browser support?
14:31 ashimema carry again as she's not here to defend herself ;)
14:31 talljoy ashimema: already done.  https://wiki.koha-community.or[…]nclusive_Language
14:31 ashimema #action cait to propose discussion about supported browsers at next meeting (IE especially)
14:32 ashimema awesome :)
14:32 ashimema #action davidnind Find and update relevant places to record Perl version required, including release notes, manual and wiki (one source of the truth)
14:32 ashimema ok.. that's everything carried forward that needs to be I think
14:32 ashimema so....
14:32 ashimema #topic General development discussion
14:32 Topic for #koha is now General development discussion (Meeting topic: Development IRC meeting 15 July 2020)
14:33 ashimema anyone have anything they wish to raise?
14:33 oleonard I have lots of fun patches waiting for signoffs and you should test them :)
14:33 ashimema bug numbers ;P
14:34 oleonard Bug 20168 especially
14:34 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=20168 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, Needs Signoff , Update of the OPAC bootstrap template to bootstrap v4
14:34 ashimema #info I'd like to thank people for jumping on accessibility bugs.. they've moved remarkably quickly with them going through SO and QA almost as fast as I can write them :)
14:34 ashimema #info bug 20168 is looking for testers
14:35 ashimema #info Bootstrap v4 for OPAC
14:36 ashimema ok.. that'll probably do us
14:36 ashimema #info Review of coding guidelines
14:36 cait1 #info Katrin Fischer, BSZ, Germany
14:36 cait1 sorry for being late
14:36 ashimema #topic Review of coding guidelines
14:36 Topic for #koha is now Review of coding guidelines (Meeting topic: Development IRC meeting 15 July 2020)
14:36 ashimema even
14:37 ashimema #info talljoy has now added "TERM3 - Inclusive language" the guidelines :)
14:37 ashimema I think that's it on that front
14:37 ashimema Now for the hardest topic.. lol
14:37 ashimema #topic Set time of next meeting
14:37 Topic for #koha is now Set time of next meeting (Meeting topic: Development IRC meeting 15 July 2020)
14:39 ashimema 19 UTC on 29th?
14:40 kidclamp sounds good
14:40 talljoy yes
14:41 tcohen +1
14:41 ashimema #info Next meeting: July 29, 2020 19 UTC
14:41 ashimema brill.. thanks everyone
14:41 ashimema #endmeeting
14:41 Topic for #koha is now Welcome to #koha this channel is for discussion of the Koha project and software
14:41 huginn Meeting ended Wed Jul 15 14:41:40 2020 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at . (v 0.1.4)
14:41 huginn Minutes:        http://meetings.koha-community[…]-07-15-14.07.html
14:41 huginn Minutes (text): http://meetings.koha-community[…]0-07-15-14.07.txt
14:41 huginn Log:            http://meetings.koha-community[…]15-14.07.log.html
14:41 tcohen ashimema++
14:42 ashimema nothing like stepping in at the last minute :P
14:42 tcohen talljoy++ # TERM3
14:42 ashimema well done everyone
14:42 ashimema lots covered there
15:09 reiveune bye
15:09 reiveune left #koha
15:20 inlibro joined #koha
15:23 fridolin left #koha
16:13 cait1 left #koha
16:20 inlibro joined #koha
16:46 lisettelatah joined #koha
16:57 cait joined #koha
17:00 lukeG joined #koha
17:20 inlibro joined #koha
17:23 tcohen who handles huginn? is it gmcharlt ?
17:23 gmcharlt yup
17:24 tcohen can it set 'https' on the channel subject instead?
17:26 tcohen it is not important but worth mentioning
17:26 tcohen he
17:30 * oleonard makes it to step 109 of recalls test plan
17:32 tcohen holy, is it that complicated?
17:32 oleonard It is very thorough
17:33 oleonard a hedge against continued rejection I imagine
17:52 Topic for #koha is now Welcome to #koha this channel is for discussion of the Koha project and software
17:56 cait joined #koha
18:18 auvajs Is there a way how to set up which fields in the marc records are/are not required? I'm unable to save a record because there is some stupid field "Transcribing agency" which I don't want to fill in but in the same way I'm unable to save the record... I need to set this field not required..
18:19 auvajs or actually I want all fields not to be required since I will be mostly importing the records
18:20 caroline auvajs: Administration > MARC frameworks
18:20 caroline choose your framework, click Actions > MARC structure
18:20 inlibro joined #koha
18:21 caroline Search for the field that you want to change, and either edit the field or the subfields, and remove the mandatory flag
18:21 wahanui joined #koha
18:21 auvajs caroline: well I tried to make a new framework with no obligatory fields but when I chose this framework and want to create a new unit by importing it.. there are still many mandatory fields
18:22 caroline you probably just removed the mandatory flag at the field level and there are still some subfields that are mandatory (or the opposite)
18:23 caroline For example, I think transcribing agency is 040$c, maybe 040 is not mandatory, but 040$c is mandatory
18:24 auvajs caroline: ok I get this.. thank you :)
18:25 caroline :)
18:49 auvajs one more question.. when I want to import a book via Z39.50 the data looks totally garbled.. like this: 20090203d2008^^^^m^^y0czey0103^^^^||
18:50 auvajs is there a way how to make it human readable?
18:50 oleonard It looks garbled after importing it?
18:51 caroline that looks like 'raw' MARC, maybe?
18:51 auvajs oleonard: both in the search window and in Add MARC record page
18:52 oleonard I wonder if it could be a problem with the encoding setting in Z39.50 server administration?
18:53 caroline my hypothesis too
18:54 caroline or maybe the type of MARC, like if you're trying to import UNIMARC?
18:56 auvajs the database should be in UTF and I also chose UTF encoding in the server settings
18:58 caroline maybe try MARC8 anyway, just to check...
18:58 caroline (I don't trust Z39.50 server information)
18:59 auvajs I dont even have MARC8 option in the server settings
18:59 caroline oh, then iso something
19:00 auvajs MARC21/USMARC and it works well :)
19:01 caroline good!
19:16 davidnind joined #koha
19:18 mtompset joined #koha
19:18 mtompset Greetings, #koha.
19:18 mtompset @seen cait
19:18 huginn mtompset: cait was last seen in #koha 22 hours, 9 minutes, and 59 seconds ago: <cait> looks misaligned
19:18 mtompset @seen oleonard
19:18 huginn mtompset: oleonard was last seen in #koha 26 minutes and 35 seconds ago: <oleonard> I wonder if it could be a problem with the encoding setting in Z39.50 server administration?
19:19 auvajs btw is there a way how to have a list of all books in the database?
19:19 caroline you can go in Search > Item search and search for everything
19:19 caroline or make a report
19:20 caroline If you have a lot, the item search might be too slow and/or abort
19:20 caroline then you're better with a report
19:20 inlibro joined #koha
19:21 mtompset I think dynamically loaded html/js via js doesn't run CSS right on mobile. :(
19:22 oleonard Can you elaborate mtompset?
19:22 auvajs caroline: is this in administration only? because I have no clue how to to this on the library homepage
19:23 mtompset To make 6815 easier to tweak/modify, I put the modal into its own .pl/.tt combination.
19:23 caroline auvajs: from the home screen, click on Search, it will bring you to Advanced search, but right under the title, it says Go to item search, click on that
19:23 mtompset And that gets dynamically loaded into the modal before it is displayed.
19:23 caroline don't put any limits and click search
19:24 mtompset But the js code for the webcam stuff runs wrong.
19:24 caroline for the report, it's in Reports > Guided reports
19:24 caroline Make a report for the Catalogue with no limits, you should get everything
19:26 oleonard Sorry mtompset I'm interested in giving it a try but I've got to be afk for a while
19:27 auvajs caroline: this is the library homepage.. maybe I'm blind but I don't see any Go to the item search :O
19:27 oleonard-away auvajs it's only in the staff interface
19:27 caroline ah, I was talking about the staff side
19:28 caroline but from here, you can get everything in advanced search and check all the items types
19:28 auvajs is there a way how to make this accessible to the public?
19:28 caroline (you only have one, so if you do a search with no search term and check Knižní publikace , you should get everything
19:29 caroline make sure you index your stuff though, I'm not getting any results
19:30 auvajs I didn't install cirussearch yet,  is this needed for indexing?
19:31 caroline I'm only familiar with zebra When you go in administration > Global system preferences > Search engine, what is the option that is selected?
19:32 auvajs Use following search engine: Zebra
19:33 caroline ok so then you need to use zebra to index
19:33 caroline do you have access to the command line terminal?
19:34 auvajs caroline: yes
19:35 caroline ok, maybe someone else can help you with the specific commands... I've been told my installation is "vintage" and I don't use the same commands as everyone else, ;)
19:36 caroline probably something like koha-rebuild-zebra
19:36 caroline[…]ch-stuff-up-help/
19:36 auvajs np :) I'm just trying to run this software for my mother's local parish library.. but maybe koha is too robust for this purposes
19:37 caroline If you understand this, it might be helpful too https://wiki.koha-community.or[…]bleshooting_Zebra
19:38 caroline It's pretty advanced though
19:41 tcohen auvajs it looks like many records lack the title field
19:41 lisettelatah_ joined #koha
19:41 tcohen hence it is not building the line
19:41 tcohen link on the search results
19:41 caroline ooh, no title is not good...
19:42 tcohen http://knihovna.pravnickyslovn[…]pl?biblionumber=2
19:43 caroline I think this was a record that was imported with the wrong MARC format
19:44 caroline the title seems to be in 300 instead of 245, and maybe the author is in 210 instead of 100
20:01 davidnind meeting?
20:01 wahanui meeting is, like, over :)
20:01 davidnind who is willing to chair today?
20:02 caroline totally forgot that there was a meeting
20:02 caroline I can chair if needed
20:02 caroline is anyone around?
20:02 davidnind I'll start and we'll see who turns up!
20:02 caroline ok!
20:03 lisettelatah joined #koha
20:03 davidnind #startmeeting General IRC meeting 15 July 2020
20:03 huginn Meeting started Wed Jul 15 20:03:13 2020 UTC.  The chair is davidnind. Information about MeetBot at
20:03 huginn Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
20:03 Topic for #koha is now  (Meeting topic: General IRC meeting 15 July 2020)
20:03 huginn The meeting name has been set to 'general_irc_meeting_15_july_2020'
20:03 davidnind #info Agenda https://wiki.koha-community.or[…]ting_15_July_2020
20:03 davidnind #chair caroline
20:03 huginn Current chairs: caroline davidnind
20:03 davidnind #topic Introductions
20:03 Topic for #koha is now Introductions (Meeting topic: General IRC meeting 15 July 2020)
20:04 davidnind #info David Nind, Wellington, New Zealand
20:04 caroline #info Caroline Cyr La Rose, inlibro, Montreal, Québec
20:05 caroline i'll try to ping some ppl
20:05 caroline tcohen was just here
20:05 caroline cait
20:05 davidnind we could have a documentation meeting :)
20:05 sophie_m joined #koha
20:05 caroline I wanted to talk to the docs team about the images
20:06 caroline ashimema
20:06 wahanui ashimema is literally just writing up the release anouncement ;)
20:06 lisettelatah #info Lisette Scheer, Latah County Library District, Moscow Idaho
20:07 caroline kidclamp
20:07 wahanui hmmm... kidclamp is the guy with an amazing moustache
20:07 caroline lol he is!
20:07 caroline Joubu
20:07 davidnind I'll give it a few more minutes and see if anyone else turns up! ( looks like it might be a quick one!)
20:08 davidnind I think Joubu is on holiday
20:08 davidnind #topic Announcements
20:08 Topic for #koha is now Announcements (Meeting topic: General IRC meeting 15 July 2020)
20:08 thd joined #koha
20:09 davidnind Any announcements?
20:09 lisettelatah The annual Koha-US Conference has been moved online with the first day on September 21 2020. We are working on the schedule. We will hold it in McKinney Texas in 2021.
20:09 kathryn joined #koha
20:09 caroline #info The annual Koha-US Conference has been moved online with the first day on September 21 2020. We are working on the schedule. We will hold it in McKinney Texas in 2021.
20:09 davidnind thanks lisettelatah!
20:09 caroline (i didn't feel like summarizing hehe!)
20:10 davidnind great!
20:10 thd #info Thomas Dukleth, Agogme, New York city
20:10 caroline lisettelatah you'll let us know for registration?
20:10 lisettelatah Yes, we will send out information about registration when we have the schedule.
20:11 caroline #info schedule TBA
20:11 davidnind lisettelatah++
20:11 davidnind I don't think anyone is around from Catalyst IT yet, so no Kohacon20 update
20:12 davidnind #topic Update on releases
20:12 Topic for #koha is now Update on releases (Meeting topic: General IRC meeting 15 July 2020)
20:12 kathryn #info Kathryn Tyree
20:12 kathryn (apologies for lateness)
20:12 davidnind Hi kathryn!
20:12 kathryn hi :D
20:12 davidnind no worries!
20:13 kathryn let me know when is a good time to say something about Kohacon
20:13 davidnind Now is good, we are on announcments
20:13 kathryn Oh sure then :)
20:13 kathryn We're pretty excited and there's lots going on so...
20:14 cait late for 2 meetings in a day, sorry!
20:14 cait #info Katrin Fischer, BSZ, Germany
20:14 kathryn We're currently re-working the programme and hope to "re-launch" it next week
20:14 caroline #info new Kohacon20 schedule TBA
20:15 kathryn A couple of new sponsorships have been confirmed with Linux Australia and FE Technologies, we'll promote our sponsors more soon
20:15 oleonard-away #info Owen Leonard, Athens County Public Libraries, Ohio, USA
20:15 kathryn We'd appreciate more registrations - there is now an option to register and say you're attending online or in person for those in NZ
20:16 kathryn We're working on how to best support speakers and somekind of online social-ness
20:16 caroline #info register to kohacon20 if you intend on attengin online or in perso
20:16 cait kathryn: i already took vacation for this week :) (making up the bad time difference)
20:17 kathryn We have a mix of pre-recorded and live presentation from our Northern hemisphere colleagues :)
20:17 kathryn hehe hi cait :)
20:17 kathryn We will have online and in-person workshop streams
20:17 oleonard
20:18 kathryn Any questions? (sorry I forgot about #info that whole time)
20:18 davidnind all good!
20:18 caroline #info We will have online and in-person workshop streams
20:18 kathryn thank you caroline I'll let you do it if that's ok :)
20:18 davidnind #info register at
20:18 thd Do you have a particular streaming system in mind?
20:19 caroline yup, I don't have anything else to bring to this meeting, so I parrot the participants hehe
20:19 davidnind Thanks kathryn for the update!
20:19 kathryn Hi thd, I think we're using YouTube like the USA yser group
20:20 kathryn We have an online learning/videoconf/presenting platform called big blue button
20:20 kathryn We took a lot of confidence from how nice the USA event went a couple months back :)
20:21 inlibro joined #koha
20:21 thd
20:21 kathryn (I stop now :) )
20:21 kathryn yup
20:22 davidnind Great to hear what is happening, also thanks to koha-US for their online conference in April
20:22 caroline looks nice
20:22 kathryn yeah, users can grab the microphone, and we can make groups to socialise in during breaks for those who are online etc
20:22 kathryn have a practice room for speakers, it offers recording, audience members can grab the mic
20:23 kathryn so we can also do things like have a recorded presentation but live preseneters
20:23 kathryn I meant to say live questions :)
20:23 cait looking forward to it
20:23 kathryn thanks cait! me too! (I really stop now?)
20:25 davidnind thanks kathryn, great to here what is happening and being as inclusive as possible with our global community
20:25 davidnind Are there any release maintainers around, or anyone who attended the development meeting who can give us an update?
20:26 oleonard There wasn't really any news...
20:26 kathryn thanks davidnind, I'm hopeful it will more accessible to a much bigger group :)
20:27 davidnind congratulations to the new release maintainers getting their first maintenance releases out in June (aleisha, tuxayo, lukeG)
20:28 davidnind thanks oleonard!
20:28 davidnind #topic Browser support issues
20:28 Topic for #koha is now Browser support issues (Meeting topic: General IRC meeting 15 July 2020)
20:28 aleisha HI!
20:29 aleisha #info Aleisha Amohia, Catalyst IT New Zealand
20:29 caroline #link https://bugs.koha-community.or[…]_bug.cgi?id=25803
20:29 huginn Bug 25803: major, P5 - low, ---, dcook, RESOLVED WONTFIX, Internet Explorer: unable to save patron edits or view patron checkouts
20:29 cait this one was marked resolved wontfix now
20:29 cait but i wondered if we should update the notes int he manual
20:29 cait i remember us deprecating... IE 7?
20:29 caroline I saw, but it's the one in the agenda...
20:29 cait oleonard: maybe you can help out?
20:30 cait yep, I added the topic, just trying to explain my thoughts there
20:30 cait the manual states: "When working in the Koha staff client it is strongly recommended that you use an up-to-date version of either Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. Koha’s staff client may not work well in Microsoft Internet Explorer, especially older versions."
20:30 talljoy #info Joy Nelson, ByWater Solutions
20:31 oleonard I think what we're talking about is dropping support for the "Internet Explorer" product altogether
20:31 cait i'd not oppose
20:31 cait was just thinking we shoudl put things in writing somewhere
20:31 oleonard Since their "Edge" browser has been around for a while and now comes in a Chromium-based version too
20:31 cait we had bug 20062
20:31 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=20062 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, CLOSED FIXED, Remove support for Internet Explorer 7 in the staff client
20:31 caroline I think the only opposition was from places where they are locked in Microsoft products
20:32 cait they would ahve Edge available to them now is what we think
20:32 cait as a Microsoft option
20:32 caroline ah ok
20:32 oleonard Edge was first released in 2015
20:33 cait should we propose makin git official?
20:33 cait no support for internet explorer for staff side?
20:33 talljoy yes please
20:34 oleonard +1
20:34 caroline no problem on our side
20:34 aleisha +1
20:34 cait +1
20:34 davidnind +1
20:34 lisettelatah +1
20:35 talljoy +1
20:35 davidnind Okay, we all agree we won't support it, should we officially announce to the mailing list? (any see what reaction there is, if any)
20:37 cait we could and then update the manual maybe?
20:37 oleonard I think that sounds good
20:37 caroline cait: what would you change in the manual? That it *doesn't work* with IE instead of it might not work?
20:38 cait it will probably take me a while
20:38 davidnind #info to announce IE 11 is no longer supported and update relevant areas, including the wiki and manual where required (davidnind)
20:38 caroline I don't mind chaging the manual, but I'm not sure what is wrong with the current sentence
20:39 cait i'd probably put in a 'internet explorer is not supported by the Koha Community.
20:39 cait or something like ti
20:39 cait or not officially supported?
20:39 caroline ok I can do that
20:40 davidnind caroline++
20:40 cait aleisha++ #string freeze
20:40 cait caroline++ thank you
20:40 caroline #action caroline will change the message in the manual saying that the staff side doesn't work with IE
20:40 davidnind thanks cait for raising!
20:40 thd The alternative of Edge browser for Microsoft only environments should be noted.
20:40 davidnind #topic General business
20:40 Topic for #koha is now General business (Meeting topic: General IRC meeting 15 July 2020)
20:40 davidnind Any general business anyone wants to raise?
20:42 davidnind #topic Next meeting
20:42 Topic for #koha is now Next meeting (Meeting topic: General IRC meeting 15 July 2020)
20:43 davidnind 5 August 2020 at 14:00 UTC? (Get back to first week of the month + it has been at 20:00 UTC for a while)
20:43 tuxayo Hi, appologies, couldn't attend to both meetings. Got a hard time since 10 days to work on Koha.
20:43 tuxayo No worries. I'm getting back on the rails :)
20:43 tuxayo See you o/
20:45 davidnind #info Next meeting: 5 August 2020, 14:00 UTC
20:45 davidnind #endmeeting
20:45 Topic for #koha is now Welcome to #koha this channel is for discussion of the Koha project and software
20:45 huginn Meeting ended Wed Jul 15 20:45:32 2020 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at . (v 0.1.4)
20:45 huginn Minutes:        http://meetings.koha-community[…]-07-15-20.03.html
20:45 huginn Minutes (text): http://meetings.koha-community[…]0-07-15-20.03.txt
20:45 huginn Log:            http://meetings.koha-community[…]15-20.03.log.html
20:45 davidnind Thanks everyone!
20:45 davidnind caroline++
20:46 caroline thanks davidnind++
20:46 davidnind thansk caroline for doing the #infos  and #actions
20:46 cait good night all!
20:46 kathryn seeyas later!
20:47 aleisha thanks all, sorry to have arrived late!
20:51 davidnind no worries aleisha!
20:58 cait joined #koha
21:07 davidnind left #koha
21:10 alexbuckley joined #koha
21:21 inlibro joined #koha
21:23 mtompset Doh! I turned around, and there was a meeting!
21:47 tosca joined #koha
21:49 cait joined #koha
22:09 kathryn joined #koha
22:21 inlibro joined #koha
22:46 Marie-Luce joined #koha
22:56 cait joined #koha
23:10 AndrewFH joined #koha
23:12 oleonard joined #koha
23:21 inlibro joined #koha

| Channels | #koha index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | plain, newest first | summary