IRC log for #koha, 2019-12-11

All times shown according to UTC.

Time S Nick Message
00:09 inlibro joined #koha
00:12 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.05_U18 build #65: STILL UNSTABLE in 37 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]oha_19.05_U18/65/
00:21 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.05_D8 build #65: STILL UNSTABLE in 32 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]Koha_19.05_D8/65/
00:21 alexbuckley_ joined #koha
00:22 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.11_D8 build #32: STILL FAILING in 10 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]Koha_19.11_D8/32/
00:23 wizzyrea joined #koha
00:28 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.05_D9 build #66: STILL UNSTABLE in 34 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]Koha_19.05_D9/66/
00:32 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.11_D8 build #33: STILL FAILING in 10 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]Koha_19.11_D8/33/
00:36 khall joined #koha
00:50 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.11_D8 build #34: STILL FAILING in 10 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]Koha_19.11_D8/34/
01:00 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.11_D8 build #35: STILL FAILING in 10 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]Koha_19.11_D8/35/
01:09 inlibro joined #koha
01:15 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.11_D8 build #36: STILL FAILING in 10 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]Koha_19.11_D8/36/
01:25 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.11_D8 build #37: STILL FAILING in 10 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]Koha_19.11_D8/37/
01:45 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.11_D8 build #38: STILL FAILING in 10 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]Koha_19.11_D8/38/
02:00 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.11_D8 build #39: STILL FAILING in 10 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]Koha_19.11_D8/39/
02:04 khall joined #koha
02:09 inlibro joined #koha
02:10 khall joined #koha
02:10 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.11_D8 build #40: STILL FAILING in 10 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]Koha_19.11_D8/40/
02:12 khall joined #koha
02:20 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.11_D8 build #41: STILL FAILING in 10 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]Koha_19.11_D8/41/
02:25 khall joined #koha
02:26 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.11_D8 build #42: STILL FAILING in 5 min 49 sec: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]Koha_19.11_D8/42/
02:26 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.11_D8 build #43: STILL FAILING in 1.6 sec: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]Koha_19.11_D8/43/
02:34 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.11_D8 build #44: STILL FAILING in 4 min 2 sec: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]Koha_19.11_D8/44/
02:35 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.11_D8 build #45: STILL FAILING in 1.7 sec: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]Koha_19.11_D8/45/
02:49 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.11_D8 build #46: STILL FAILING in 4 min 10 sec: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]Koha_19.11_D8/46/
02:55 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.11_D8 build #47: STILL FAILING in 1.6 sec: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]Koha_19.11_D8/47/
03:09 inlibro joined #koha
03:15 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.11_D8 build #48: STILL FAILING in 1.6 sec: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]Koha_19.11_D8/48/
03:20 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.11_D8 build #49: STILL FAILING in 1.6 sec: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]Koha_19.11_D8/49/
03:25 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.11_D8 build #50: ABORTED in 45 sec: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]Koha_19.11_D8/50/
03:29 koha-jenkins joined #koha
04:09 inlibro joined #koha
04:11 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.11_D8 build #1: SUCCESS in 36 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]/Koha_19.11_D8/1/
04:46 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.11_D8 build #2: SUCCESS in 34 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]/Koha_19.11_D8/2/
05:09 inlibro joined #koha
05:25 khall joined #koha
05:27 josef_moravec joined #koha
06:10 inlibro joined #koha
06:40 cait joined #koha
07:06 calire joined #koha
07:10 inlibro joined #koha
07:15 fridolin joined #koha
07:16 magnuse \o/
07:41 reiveune joined #koha
07:41 reiveune hello
07:48 sophie_m joined #koha
07:50 magnuse bonjour reiveune
07:52 reiveune salut magnuse
07:56 koha-jenkins Yippee, build fixed!
07:56 wahanui Congratulations!
07:56 koha-jenkins Project Koha_Master_D8 build #560: FIXED in 37 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]ha_Master_D8/560/
07:57 koha-jenkins Yippee, build fixed!
07:57 wahanui Congratulations!
07:57 koha-jenkins Project Koha_Master_D9_MDB_Latest build #8: FIXED in 40 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]_D9_MDB_Latest/8/
07:58 magnuse @confetti
07:58 huginn magnuse: downloading the Perl source
07:58 alex_a joined #koha
07:58 andreashm joined #koha
07:59 alex_a Bonjour
08:03 sophie_m1 joined #koha
08:05 chris1 joined #koha
08:05 magnuse hiya alex_a
08:07 calire left #koha
08:10 inlibro joined #koha
08:10 calire joined #koha
08:19 cait joined #koha
08:27 koha-jenkins Yippee, build fixed!
08:27 wahanui Congratulations!
08:27 koha-jenkins Project Koha_Master_U18 build #503: FIXED in 47 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]a_Master_U18/503/
08:36 andreashm joined #koha
08:42 nlegrand אַ גוט יאָר!
08:42 cait hebrew?
08:43 nlegrand yiddish :)
08:43 nlegrand a gut yor!
08:43 cait :)
08:43 nlegrand It's a greeting for the new year and also everyday ^^
08:45 cait a  good new year to you too :)
08:45 cait what's the year right now?
08:46 nlegrand 5780 since the 30 september 2019
08:47 nlegrand speaking about years, it's something a bit hard to do for us in Koha right now, because the mapped unimarc field is the field that print the year as it is written in the books.
08:48 nlegrand So as an oriental library we have all the calendar system of the world and cannot really sort by date.
08:48 magnuse nlegrand: awesome! :-)
08:48 nlegrand There is a standart date in the coded areas we don't know how to extract it to apply it to a koha field
08:50 nlegrand and right in january, the french university libraries are supposed to map a new field to the koha field without correcting all the preceding fields.
08:50 nlegrand Biblibre and a lot of other vendors are complaining ^^
08:51 ashimema I'm not sure I followed that fully..
08:51 ashimema but it sounds resolvable by code to me..
08:52 nlegrand My motto is: “never mess with date” and everytime I see someone doing a patch on dates or holidays I'm thinking “how brave he is” or just “wow”.
08:52 nlegrand ashimema: ho certainly, but have you seen my motto ;D
08:52 cait i think it's not that bad with the calendar
08:52 cait search in the records is a different matter
08:52 cait what marc21 one does is sort on the date in 008
08:52 ashimema hehe
08:52 cait which is a standardized date
08:53 cait and then the publication date /copyright date mess is handled in the 260/264 (rda)
08:53 magnuse marc is a mess
08:53 cait so in 008 you'd have a sortable date... not sure if unimarc has something equivalent
08:53 ashimema are there any standard routines for getting a standardised date from the various localised dates?
08:53 cait actuaqlly i think this bit makes sense... but in general i agree
08:54 cait we are lucky there - the 'standard year' is part of the union catalog cataloguing rules so 008 is set nicely
08:54 cait and they can also add the hebrew years for display
08:56 ashimema for the display field.. is there a part of the field which states what calendar it's using?
08:56 cait not sure how htis is handled in marc
08:56 nlegrand ashimema: it'll be very hard to implement. We've got dates in more than thirty hundred languages, with almost every writting system of the world, and most of those dates are written in a non standard way.
08:57 ashimema ouch
08:57 ashimema good luck with that ;)
08:59 nlegrand :)
08:59 kohaputti nlegrand, are you able to write the dates in one way and then translate the dates to other calendar systems?
08:59 fridolin joined #koha
09:00 kohaputti like is it possible to translate to all calendar systems you use from one calendar system
09:00 ashimema i imagine it's the other way around kohaputti
09:01 ashimema I imagine cataloguers are getting dates from books and those dates are localized.. so they want to enter the localised date and have it magically populate both the localised and standardised fields
09:01 ashimema with the standardised one going through a conversion
09:02 ashimema but.. it sounds like there are waaaay too many variations to get it right
09:02 cait i don't think marc lends to that
09:04 ashimema indeed
09:06 nlegrand kohaputti: the librarian write the gregorian publication date in zone 100:[…]nmb/zones/100.htm
09:07 nlegrand note this is note standard UNIMARC, it is more “frenchuniversitylibrariesMARC” or “ABESMARC”
09:08 nlegrand we should extract just part of this field to map it to koha publication date.
09:10 inlibro joined #koha
09:12 nlegrand It's always a wonder to me when the ABES (kind of authority for cataloguing in the french university libraries) notifies us practices to be UNIMARC compliant when we are UNIMARC non compliant in almost everyzone :D
09:18 magnuse is MARC one of the most flexible standards in existence?
09:20 andreashm joined #koha
09:22 andreashm joined #koha
09:25 paul_p joined #koha
09:29 nlegrand magnuse: well I've worked with TEI which is not a standard but only “guidelines” and which everyone thinks it has the same virtues a standard has. Pretty confusing.
09:41 magnuse nlegrand: sounds like fun!
09:42 talljoy joined #koha
09:45 magnuse hm, where are the guidelines on splitting into several patches for database updates etc?
09:50 Joubu it's not really a guideline, not sure it's enforced by QA. It is more for readability if the patch is big
09:51 Joubu the thing to not add is the schema changes, they should not be provided, or in a separate patch
10:02 magnuse ah, ok, this thing is not so big, so i'll do one patch, sans schema changes
10:02 magnuse Joubu++
10:02 magnuse after lunch, that is...
10:10 inlibro joined #koha
10:15 ashimema as RM I don't worry too much.. having a distinct patch for schema changes helps me in so much as it's a reminder to reubild the schema.. but in general I have scripts that remind me to do DB updates stuff which are triggered by the present of files in atomicupdate or changes to the standard sql files..
10:16 ashimema whenever the script alerts me to those changes I run through the process of doing the DB and Schema updates as required..
10:16 ashimema regardles of how they were comitted in the first place
10:46 andreashm joined #koha
11:11 inlibro joined #koha
11:12 magnuse clever ashimema
11:15 magnuse ashimema: how about this: https://wiki.koha-community.or[…]DBIC_schema_files "Booleans have to be annotated as booleans in the schema files." Do you do that too?
11:16 ashimema good question
11:16 ashimema I should.. but I'm not in the best habbits for it.. find it easy to forget :(
11:16 khall joined #koha
11:17 ashimema I believe we have tests to catch it though unless I'm mistaken.. I've certainly added them in followups a few times when i've forgotten so something must be alerting me to my mistake ;)
11:21 magnuse looks like has one boolean that is not flagged
11:21 magnuse and i am adding two more
11:28 ashimema thanks for flagging it
11:29 Joubu there is a QA test for that
11:29 ashimema :)
11:35 paxed there doesn't seem to be a consensus in kohastructure.sql whether a boolean is a tinyint(1) or a BOOLEAN
11:38 khall joined #koha
11:38 ashimema there's at least one bug regarding that..
11:38 ashimema it was in discussion but I thought we agreed on an approach
11:39 ashimema tcohen and Joubu were involved.. as was I
11:39 ashimema I think I prefered tinyint(1) becuase BOOLEAN isn't standard SQL
11:39 ashimema but I can't remember what the QA script fires on.. we also talked about requiring the kohastrucutre file to be commented
11:40 Joubu must be defined as tinyint(1) in the DB structure, then boolean in the schema file
11:41 magnuse https://wiki.koha-community.or[…]s#SQL12:_Booleans
11:42 ashimema that's the one
11:42 ashimema squash all the bugs.. :)
11:42 magnuse hehe
11:43 * magnuse hopes bug 22833 is ok
11:43 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=22833 normal, P5 - low, ---, magnus, Needs Signoff , Block suspend and cancel on holds
11:43 paxed i guess the QA tools don't check the db structure for booleans
11:45 ashimema they check for changes in commits
11:45 ashimema so.. pre-existing stuff isn't caught
11:45 ashimema I did think we'd agreed to go back and fix them.. and thought tcohen had volunteered but I can't see any bug for it
11:46 ashimema so it's likely fallen off somone's file
11:46 ashimema be a nice quick win for an academy bug perhaps..
11:46 ashimema fancy reporting it paxed?
11:46 paxed ashimema: okay.
11:47 ashimema thanks dude :)
11:48 Shaune_UKS joined #koha
11:49 paxed bug 24216
11:49 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=24216 trivial, P5 - low, ---, koha-bugs, NEW , kohastructure.sql uses BOOLEANs
11:51 Faadil joined #koha
11:51 vfernandes joined #koha
11:57 ashimema :)
11:58 ashimema we should have a bug squashing day some time soon...
11:58 ashimema there's plenty of low hanging fruit in the majors list.. stuff that's pretty easy to fix or triage down in status.
12:02 khall_ joined #koha
12:05 Joubu bug 24217, really...
12:05 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=24217 major, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart, Needs Signoff , use Modern::Perl for modules
12:07 ashimema wow
12:07 ashimema surprised that's not done
12:09 Joubu me too!
12:09 Joubu there are some left
12:09 ashimema having said that.. I've always advocted we should specify a year ;)
12:10 ashimema in theory we still force ourselves to support perl 5.10 (which I don't like at all)
12:10 ashimema so... for that we should limit ourselve to `use Modern::Perl '2010';`
12:11 inlibro joined #koha
12:11 ashimema I have long advocated we upgrade our minimum perl version to 5.20 (debian 8 standard).. but dcook kicks it back as he wants ancient SUSE support
12:12 ashimema with D8 coming to end of life we could even be so bold as to require 5.24
12:15 Joubu we are 15 years behind without strict. Start with strict, fix the warnings, then ... whatever you want :)
12:16 paxed anyone else annoyed how bugzilla wraps bug change notification text fields to 20 chars?
12:16 paxed like, who reads emails in fixed-width font?
12:20 Joubu paxed: not sure I understand what you mean. Do you have an example? Did you modify the default values in your preferences?
12:21 oleonard joined #koha
12:21 oleonard Hi all
12:21 magnuse there are some mails from bugzilla that tries to display stuff in two columns, to show what was changed. those are pretty hard to read...
12:21 paxed Joubu: what magnuse said
12:22 magnuse i love dcook, but i think maybe we should outnumber/outvote them in the question of minimum perl version...
12:22 Joubu ha, the table with remove/added/what
12:23 ashimema I can't find the bug now
12:23 Joubu IIRC that's an improvement, before we received 1 mail per line in the table :)
12:23 ashimema but I gave up on it
12:23 paxed Joubu: i changed it on a bugz instance i maintain to display the text like "summary: new summary (WAS: old summary)" instead of two columns
12:24 Joubu paxed: is it an admin preference?
12:25 Joubu or you patched the code?
12:26 wynn1212 joined #koha
12:27 Shaune_UKS left #koha
12:27 wynn1212 Hi! Can I ask questions about koha problem here?
12:28 oleonard This is the place wynn1212
12:28 Shaune_UKS joined #koha
12:28 ashimema sorry Joubu.. back at you on bug 24217
12:28 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=24217 major, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart, Failed QA , use Modern::Perl for modules
12:30 Joubu ashimema: there is strict and warnings
12:31 Joubu I can change the title to "enable strict" :)
12:32 ashimema why be inconsistent?
12:32 ashimema why not whilst we're here update all cases?
12:32 wynn1212 I have "Patron relationship problems" in "System information" on koha
12:33 Joubu yes, we could. But really here is just the need to have strict "everywhere"
12:33 ashimema I've just submitted a patch to make the warning clearer for that wynn1212
12:34 ashimema Fair enough Joubu
12:34 norman joined #koha
12:35 wynn1212 ashimema: So It's safe to ignore?
12:35 ashimema ish
12:35 ashimema it won't cause any major issues for you
12:35 ashimema but is worth being aware of
12:35 ashimema the error message will be clearer on release of 19.11.01 once my patch is pushed
12:36 ashimema what it really means is
12:36 ashimema you have borrowers with a relationship which doesn't match any of the relationships in the system preference
12:36 ashimema ..
12:37 ashimema so, if you have mother|father|uncle in your system preference.. but you've somehow managed to add a user with a relationship of 'aunt' to your system.. the warning will show and the list will just contain 'aunt' instead of ARRAY(103fj29dj).
12:37 ashimema the 'fix' is to then decide whether 'aunt' is valid and add it to the system preference..
12:37 ashimema or..
12:37 ashimema decide aunt isn't valid and find the user with that relationship and update it to use one of your allowed values.
12:37 ashimema hope that helps
12:39 wynn1212 joined #koha
12:40 wynn1212 Ok. Thanks ashimema!
12:40 ashimema :)
12:40 ashimema glad to have been of service
12:41 ashimema you're on a very shiny new release there. keep in touch if you find bugs. 😉 I'm happy to fix them as fast as we find them
12:42 wynn1212 By now it just show nothing on patron relationship problems.
12:42 wynn1212 But anyway. Thank's for your help!
12:46 paul_p joined #koha
12:47 magnuse ashimema++
12:47 * magnuse upgrades his ill demos to 19.11
12:47 andreashm joined #koha
12:48 ashimema :)
12:49 paxed Joubu: re bz, the email format is in one of the template files, not a setting
12:50 magnuse the webinstaller says NOTE: misc/ should be run to populate the fields introduced in bug 11529. It may take some time for larger databases.
12:50 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=11529 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, ere.maijala, RESOLVED FIXED, Add subtitle, medium and part fields to biblio table
12:50 magnuse if i run this: $ sudo koha-shell -c "perl misc/" koh1
12:50 magnuse i get this: Can't locate Koha/ in @INC (you may need to install the Koha::Script module) (@INC contains: /usr/share/koha/lib
12:50 magnuse on a gitified install
12:54 magnuse works if i run it like "sudo PERL5LIB=/home/magnus/kohaclone/ KOHA_CONF=/etc/koha/sites/instance/koha-conf.xml perl misc/"
12:56 ashimema wierd
13:06 oleonard cait: Is Bug 24188 about articles like "the" being ignored in sorting? The screenshots look correctly-sorted to me.
13:06 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=24188 normal, P5 - low, ---, koha-bugs, NEW , Sorting AZ does not work
13:11 inlibro joined #koha
13:24 Joubu paxed: you can suggest to rangi if you know the steps to set it up. I do not have access to this server.
13:24 Dyrcona joined #koha
13:29 khall joined #koha
13:43 Faadil joined #koha
13:45 oleonard Meeting in 15?
13:50 Joubu yes
13:53 davidnind joined #koha
13:55 oleonard Hi davidnind
13:56 davidnind hi oleonard!
13:56 wahanui hi oleopard
13:56 Joubu qa_team?
13:56 wahanui qa_team is cait  khall josef_moravec ashimema Joubu marcelr tcohen kohaputti kidclamp
13:56 oleonard rmaints?
13:56 wahanui it has been said that rmaints is fridolin, lucas and wizzyrea
13:57 oleonard avengers?
13:57 oleonard Okay we're on our own there.
13:57 ashimema lots need updating
13:57 Joubu no wahanui, qa_team is cait jajm alex_a khall josef_moravec Joubu marcelr tcohen kohaputti kidclamp
13:57 wahanui okay, Joubu.
13:57 paxed Joubu: okay, i'll do that once i'm in front of a computer
13:57 ashimema 3 mins
13:57 * ashimema should learn to not get stick into code just before a meeting is meant to start
13:58 Marie-Luce joined #koha
13:58 Joubu no wahanui, qa_team is cait Joubu marcelr kohaputti josef_moravec tcohen kidclamp khall
13:58 wahanui okay, Joubu.
14:00 * fridolin sorry I'm buzy
14:00 ashimema #startmeeting General IRC meeting 11 December 2019
14:00 huginn Meeting started Wed Dec 11 14:00:38 2019 UTC.  The chair is ashimema. Information about MeetBot at
14:00 huginn Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
14:00 Topic for #koha is now  (Meeting topic: General IRC meeting 11 December 2019)
14:00 huginn The meeting name has been set to 'general_irc_meeting_11_december_2019'
14:00 ashimema #topic Introductions
14:00 Topic for #koha is now Introductions (Meeting topic: General IRC meeting 11 December 2019)
14:00 ashimema #info Please introduce yourselve with an #info to appear in the minutes.
14:01 ashimema #info Martin Renvoize, PTFS Europe, UK
14:01 oleonard #info Owen Leonard, Athens County Public Libraries, Ohio, USA
14:01 Joubu #info Jonathan Druart
14:01 ashimema #link https://wiki.koha-community.or[…]_11_December_2019 Today's agenda
14:02 davidnind #info David Nind, Wellington, New Zealand
14:02 ashimema We'll wait a few minutes for any straggler to arrive :)
14:03 oleonard C'mon stragglers
14:05 ashimema #topic Announcements
14:05 Topic for #koha is now Announcements (Meeting topic: General IRC meeting 11 December 2019)
14:05 magnuse #info Magnus Enger. Libriotech, Norway
14:06 andreashm joined #koha
14:06 ashimema #info The 19.11 release happened, all be it a little late. Thanks go out to Mason for stepping in and doing the packaging at the last minute.
14:06 kidclamp #info Nick Clemens, BYWater Solutions
14:06 jzairo joined #koha
14:06 magnuse mtj++
14:06 ashimema #info 19.11, 19.05.x and 18.11.x releases all included security patches this recent release
14:07 oleonard ashimema++
14:07 oleonard mtj++
14:07 ashimema community++
14:07 ashimema it's a team effort
14:07 ashimema as our lone nz representative this afternoon.. any kohacon updates to pass along davidnind ?
14:08 * ashimema is always impressed you make the meetings at these crazy times
14:08 davidnind #info Extended closing date for  Kohacon20 proposals for talks is 13 December
14:08 ashimema :)
14:08 ashimema glad you do.. I'd totally forgotten that one
14:08 davidnind :)
14:09 ashimema I think we can move on
14:09 ashimema #topic Update on releases
14:09 Topic for #koha is now Update on releases (Meeting topic: General IRC meeting 11 December 2019)
14:09 Shaune-uks joined #koha
14:09 ashimema #topic 20.05 (next release)
14:09 Topic for #koha is now 20.05 (next release) (Meeting topic: General IRC meeting 11 December 2019)
14:10 ashimema #info 19.11 have been branched and master is now the working version for the next feature release, 20.05
14:11 ashimema #info As is the pattern, we will be sticking to bugfixes only up until the end of the month, but then I hope to start pushing enhancements early January, focusing on the more experimental one's first to give us a large a section of the release cycle to fix any subsequent bugs before release.
14:11 inlibro joined #koha
14:11 ashimema #info `fail fast` and `experiment and stabalise`
14:11 Joubu which ones do you have in mind?
14:12 ashimema I need to go through the list, but I'm open to suggestions ;)
14:12 oleonard Bug 15522?
14:12 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=15522 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart, Needs Signoff , New interface for revamped circulation rules
14:12 Joubu you have my suggestions already ;)
14:12 ashimema architectural ones are up there, mojolicious too
14:12 ashimema yup, that's on my list oleonard
14:13 caroline_catlady #info Caroline Cyr La Rose, inlibro
14:13 ashimema I hope to send out a mail over xmas asking people to line up their ducks for January pushes... setting out some bugs I hope to focus on and setting some rough deadlines to see them moving.
14:14 ashimema we don't have any rmaints? present do we :(
14:14 davidnind #info koha-US is planning an online conference (Koha-a-thon) for 24 April, call for talks closes 10 January
14:15 ashimema #info Rmaints are tentatively starting to push bugs to their respective branches.
14:15 davidnind #info Details for the Koha-a-thon[…]ember/053991.html
14:15 Uks joined #koha
14:15 kellym joined #koha
14:15 ashimema thanks david.
14:16 davidnind #info The dates for the BibLibre Koha Hackfest in Marseille are 23-27 March 2020
14:16 Joubu ha yes, paul_p annonced the hackfest on the list
14:16 Joubu heh, that!
14:16 ashimema hackfest is in the community calendar :)
14:16 ashimema shall I add some of the other events?
14:16 Joubu yup
14:17 jzairo some more information for koha-US and the kohathon (they changed the name) to make it easier[…]all-for-proposals
14:19 ashimema added it to the community calendar
14:19 ashimema thanks jzairo for the update
14:19 jzairo :)
14:19 ashimema ok.. onto the next topic
14:20 ashimema #topic Any Other Business
14:20 Topic for #koha is now Any Other Business (Meeting topic: General IRC meeting 11 December 2019)
14:20 ashimema #topic Proposal to try as an alternative/compliment of IRC
14:20 Topic for #koha is now Proposal to try as an alternative/compliment of IRC (Meeting topic: General IRC meeting 11 December 2019)
14:20 davidnind #info the 3rd Koha Pakistan International Conference is 16-18 April 2020
14:20 davidnind (sorry, a bit slow!)
14:21 tcohen hola
14:21 tcohen sorry
14:21 ashimema #info I've discussed with a few people the prospect of adding an alternative to IRC as it seems to be a barrier to entry for some.
14:22 Joubu source? :)
14:23 ashimema #info After a little research I'm proposing the creation of a server (I'll try to take on setting one up for a trial) and having it bridge to the existing IRC room.
14:23 ashimema sources.. our customers, bywater customers, various developers I've spoken to
14:24 Joubu they said that IRC is a barrier to entry?
14:24 ashimema I'm interested in hearing opinions in this public forum
14:24 oleonard I agree that IRC is a barrier to entry
14:25 ashimema_ joined #koha
14:25 oleonard I think looks very interesting
14:25 ashimema #info After a little research I'm proposing the creation of a server (I'll try to take on setting one up for a trial) and having it bridge to the existing IRC room.
14:25 ashimema sources.. our customers, bywater customers, various developers I've spoken to
14:25 ashimema I'm interested in hearing opinions in this public forum
14:25 tcohen Joubu:[…]3ZDBlOWQ2X3ouanBn
14:26 caroline_catlady tcohen: lol! XD
14:26 caroline_catlady #link
14:26 davidnind I think Catalyst chose it for use internally - post from 2016[…]leeding-edge-chat
14:27 davidnind not sure whether things have changed..
14:27 oleonard I'll vote to approve any chat solution which will tell me the weather
14:27 ashimema we've already lost a number of developers from the irc space to slack.. just saying ;)
14:27 davidnind yeah weather!
14:28 caroline_catlady would bots still work?
14:28 Joubu @wunder Madrid
14:28 caroline_catlady I would miss wahanui saying random things
14:28 huginn Joubu: Error: Failed to load Wunderground API. Check the logs for more information.
14:28 ashimema that's the main reason i want to bridge it to the irc channel, at least in the short term.. so we can continue to use the existing bots
14:28 Joubu stupid bots, change bots
14:29 ashimema I certainly don't want to cut off existing workflows.. just add an option for less technically adept people
14:29 Joubu ashimema: lost developers? who?
14:29 Joubu tcohen has a link for that I guess
14:29 Joubu :)
14:30 ashimema irc isn't 'that' technical to be honest.. but it looks outdated to many and doesn't support allot of the modern communication expectations.
14:30 tcohen I do
14:30 ashimema well.. I often poke people who are missing via slack to get them to come here.. khall is a good example
14:30 caroline_catlady gifs ftw ;)
14:30 Joubu I am not against the idea, but the reasons are not the good ones in my opinion
14:30 Joubu khall: you are here, right?
14:31 ashimema ok.. what would be a good reason then Joubu
14:31 oleonard I think there's no reason at all not to give a try if ashimema is willing to spend some time on it
14:31 ashimema I can't see a better reason than to enable more people to join the community.
14:31 ashimema but hey
14:31 oleonard The solution is designed specifically to continue IRC support
14:31 Joubu paste/videoconf/code sharing in the same app
14:31 Joubu for instance
14:32 Joubu but "too complicate" and "we lost developers" sound wrong to me
14:32 ashimema and those are all the things I mean by 'but it looks outdated to many and doesn't support allot of the modern communication expectations.'
14:32 ashimema support all of those
14:32 Faadil joined #koha
14:33 oleonard Joubu: What is your argument for not trying
14:33 ashimema moving on.. there seems to be no hard objections so I'll spend a little time getting something setup for a trial.
14:33 Joubu oleonard: I never said that. I am not the one who is trying to convince people
14:34 Joubu ashimema: what's the proposal then?
14:34 Joubu I mean, who, when, where?
14:34 oleonard Joubu: You've offered only arguments against the idea, none in support of the status quo
14:34 ashimema #action ashimema is going to investigate setting up a bridged server to allow a more modern form of instance communication for the community.
14:34 Joubu I guess we will want to host it somewhere
14:35 ashimema to start with I was going to personally host it and see what sort of adoption it gets
14:35 magnuse if ptfse can't host it i think libriotech can (on linode)
14:35 ashimema I'm suggesting a lightweight trial of it to start with
14:36 Joubu oleonard: I did not say I was against the idea, sorry if it is what has been understood
14:37 Joubu not*
14:37 ashimema OK.. I think we can probably move onto my next controvertial topic ;)
14:37 ashimema oh.. actually, the next one isn't controvertial
14:37 Joubu yes it is, you will need to setup a date
14:37 ashimema #topic Shall we bring back an internation bug squashing day?
14:37 Topic for #koha is now Shall we bring back an internation bug squashing day? (Meeting topic: General IRC meeting 11 December 2019)
14:37 ashimema haha..
14:37 ashimema who used to take on organising them.. I don't remember?
14:38 magnuse i did, back in the day
14:38 ashimema but.. I'd like to suggest we get one in the diary and publicise it..
14:38 ashimema I'm all about trying to get more people looking at bugzilla and helping each other move bugs on at the moment.. such a day seems like a good idea
14:39 magnuse yup, worth a try
14:40 ashimema I'm thinking early to mid january for a rough date.. once xmas is someone out of the way but whilst people are hopefully fresh and rested still from the holidays
14:40 davidnind https://wiki.koha-community.or[…]ug_squashing_days
14:40 ashimema s/someone/somewhat
14:40 davidnind excellent idea!
14:40 oleonard When is Catalyst Academy? Anyone know?
14:40 * ashimema was about to ask that next :)
14:41 davidnind is in January
14:41 cait sorry for missing the meeting... was in another lengthy meeting
14:41 ashimema magnuse do you have any recollection as to whether end of week or beggining generally got mroe attendance?
14:41 ashimema we're still going cait
14:42 ashimema just working out the logistics of organising a bug squashing day
14:42 davidnind 6-17th January, last week is the project week where they work on projects
14:42 ashimema currently I have 10th Jan in my head as a proposal
14:42 Joubu Project week: 14-17 January 2020
14:42 Joubu https://wiki.koha-community.or[…]/Catalyst_Academy
14:43 Uks joined #koha
14:43 cait ah nice
14:43 cait i like bug squashing :)
14:43 ashimema aha..
14:43 ashimema perhaps delay to 17 or 16th perhaps then...
14:43 cait could we have a december bug sqhash?
14:43 ashimema that would be a nice way to make sure we pick off at least a few academy bugs
14:43 cait as we are focusing on bugs at the moment until beginning of january
14:43 cait we can put little christmas hats on the bugs...
14:44 ashimema lol
14:44 ashimema I'm thinking I'll have a triaging session during december ready to get action in a squashing day early Jan
14:44 ashimema my gut says allot of people are already winding down for xmas and it's a bit late to organise a gbsd this month
14:45 magnuse ashimema: nah, can't say i do
14:45 ashimema I may be wrong.. let me know :)
14:45 magnuse yeah, i'd say january is better
14:45 * oleonard settling in for a long winter's nap
14:45 magnuse hehe
14:46 wizzyrea joined #koha
14:46 ashimema 17th suit people then?
14:46 tcohen \o/
14:46 magnuse +1
14:47 ashimema it's a friday to correspond with inLibros' friday community slot (and I think Bywater has a similar Friday for community stuff slot)
14:47 magnuse sorry, gotta run
14:47 davidnind +1
14:47 caroline_catlady I will make sure our staff is on it
14:47 * ashimema tihnks we should volunteer magnuse to organise it as he's running away now..
14:47 ashimema ok.. I'll send out a mail and start the process
14:47 Faadil joined #koha
14:47 ashimema #action ashimema to send out a global bug squashing day announcement email
14:48 ashimema #info Next global bug squashing day to take place 17th January
14:48 ashimema hehe
14:48 davidnind there is a template for the wiki as well
14:48 ashimema brill
14:48 magnuse ashimema: i'll do it if noone else wants to have a go
14:48 cait ok with january too :)
14:48 ashimema moving onto my last controvertial topic..
14:49 ashimema #topic Are we happy with the existing release process and cycle?
14:49 Topic for #koha is now Are we happy with the existing release process and cycle? (Meeting topic: General IRC meeting 11 December 2019)
14:49 ashimema Broad question I wanted to raise to get wider audience
14:49 ashimema lots of chatter on WhatsApp and in Twitter land after verious acquisitions having taking place this month and the ever increasing focus on Folio
14:50 ashimema do we think as a community we are remaining competative or do we need to make any changes to try and continue to be
14:50 Faadil joined #koha
14:50 oleonard I'm concerned that the `fail fast, experiment and stabilize` process won't have time enough for the stabilize step if we speed things up
14:50 ashimema I have my own concerns which I'm sure people have heard before
14:51 ashimema well.. I'm not really envisaging much change this cycle really.. it's more of a wider question and setting up idea's and plans for subsquent cycles
14:51 georgew joined #koha
14:52 ashimema Ubuntu for example has a flip/flop cycle which spans 12 months.. their two releases a year have an experimental 6 months followed by a stabalisation 6 months
14:52 caroline_catlady I know here (and I think in most support companies?) we only upgrade every 2 versions (for us it's every .05)
14:53 ashimema mm.. so I think we still need some sort of long term support idea
14:53 cait we are on the .11
14:53 talljoy we upgrade every release on the point .06 usually
14:53 ashimema but do we need to support 3 versions simultaneosly?
14:53 cait or at least at the moment target those
14:54 ashimema it's allot to ask to find 3 rmaints every 6  months
14:54 cait i think I could imagine an LTS version
14:54 cait but having one version for 1.5 years is good
14:54 ashimema and.. are the .05/.06 releases actually stable if the majority of users aren't looking at a release until that point..
14:54 ashimema i.e are we not just shifting the bugs down
14:55 wizzyrea #info liz rea
14:56 * ashimema isn't being deliberately obtuse.. I just want to get opinions
14:56 TGoat joined #koha
14:56 davidnind have some sort of survey - get the views of support providers, self-hosters, etc
14:56 talljoy #info Joy Nelson
14:56 caroline_catlady I'm just wondering what would be the repercussions of changing the cuycle
14:56 ashimema I've worked in a few different cycles over the years and they all have their own benefits and problems
14:56 Faadil joined #koha
14:56 talljoy most bugs are fixed in .03 and .04 of every release.  but i'm not sure when they are actually found to be included in those stable point releases
14:57 oleonard davidnind++
14:57 * talljoy has graphs
14:57 davidnind tricky bit might be the actual questions to ask
14:57 cait talljoy: can you share? it sounds interesting
14:57 andrew joined #koha
14:57 ashimema be interested in seeing those graphs talljoy
14:57 cait I have a feeling that our latest 2 have been a bit ... less stable
14:57 talljoy i can clean up a bit and send on the list.  yes!
14:57 ashimema yeah.. hense the open floor here.. so I have some help coming up with questions ;)
14:57 talljoy i wanted to dig a big deeper if i can and may need khall to help with the pulling data from bz
14:58 cait talljoy++ thx!
14:58 ashimema I have stats for numbers of bugs fixed at various points in cycles.. the general trend I've spotted is that bugs are getting reported later
14:58 dani joined #koha
14:58 cait we have some early adopters
14:58 talljoy do you have data on who is reporting those bugs ashimema ?
14:58 ashimema also.. the gap between being reported and being fixed varies allot
14:58 cait but tbh we sit it out pretty long too - preparation takes a while as well, as we have to write up Gemran resoruces etc. too
14:59 ashimema not in a particularly meaningful format yet no..
14:59 ashimema would be happy to collaborate on picking out some stats..
14:59 talljoy we have played with the idea of getting 'really early' adopters to help flush bugs.  i.e. roll a 20.01 and get bugs fixed in the 20.05
14:59 talljoy that's just us internally 'spit-balling'
14:59 ashimema we certainly have two types of customer here.. those who want their new feature asap..
14:59 talljoy <and paid for it too>
14:59 ashimema and those who want stability over functionality and want to wait 2 years
15:00 cait yeah, i think the might be the motivation to go on a new verson - there are features needed/wanted
15:00 cait I think there might be benefits of having a regular LTS, but also needs a maintainer
15:00 cait talljoy: are you doing 1 or 2 updates a year?
15:00 talljoy 2
15:01 cait :)
15:01 talljoy our goal is to make upgrades a 'non issue' for our libraries
15:01 talljoy not always successful, but we try!
15:01 ashimema so.. the best proposal I've spitballed here is to have two tracks.. a LTS which gets a feature update once every 18 months or something like that.. and is maintained with bugfixes only throughout it's life
15:01 dani joined #koha
15:01 ashimema and a continious integration track which is release monthly and contains bugfixes and new feature as soon as they're ready
15:01 cait hm
15:01 talljoy CI for the win!
15:02 cait wonder if there is some middle gruond to be found
15:02 ashimema CI + CD
15:02 cait between those 2
15:02 ashimema CD is what all the 'big boys' are moving too.. I fear if we don't offer it we will loose out.
15:02 talljoy stay a couple of tracks back but a couple ahead of LTS?
15:02 cait maybe longer support but a big one every year instead of 18 months
15:03 ashimema CI = Continious Integration (we do this with Jenkins).. CD = Continious Deployment (monthly releases would be close to this)
15:03 talljoy yearly does make a bit more sense from a library's perspective.  "we upgrade every year in August" for example
15:03 cait i think biblibre and us target once a year for update, so that would be nice to maintain, monthly with translations and everything woudl be too much
15:03 talljoy We are moving towards CD as much as we can.
15:04 talljoy that's what the U.S. market is about now.
15:04 ashimema how do you do CD if you only upgrade once a year?
15:04 talljoy we do 2x a year with monthly point release upgrades
15:05 talljoy we are upgrading continually, but it is a logistical problem for us.
15:05 eythian CD is not monthly, CD is more like every commit gets deployed
15:05 talljoy right
15:05 ashimema yeah, it isn't easy
15:05 talljoy that's more what we're aiming for.
15:05 lukeG joined #koha
15:05 cait bywater is the biggest player right now - I think it makes sense, but for the smaller ones might be harder to keep that pace
15:05 talljoy i mean, aim high, right?
15:05 ashimema indeed.. CD is exactly what eythian said..
15:05 cait especially if you don't have in-house devs for hotfixing
15:05 ashimema I don't think we're ready for that yet.. but I'd love to see it happen
15:05 talljoy true.
15:05 cait it woudl never work for translations
15:05 caroline_catlady + docs and translations
15:06 cait yep
15:06 talljoy cait i like your yearly LTS idea instead of 18 months
15:06 eythian (having monthly/nightly use-at-your-own-risk auto snapshot releases could be an easy approach too.)
15:06 ashimema but I don think monthly release could be possible
15:06 ashimema we already do such a scheme for rmaint
15:06 ashimema well.. we do have the nightly build bot which builds package nightly
15:06 ashimema so you 'can' do watch that
15:07 Joubu I don't think our codebase is robust enough to provide a (relatively) master-based stable release every month
15:07 Joubu Or I did not get what you are talking about
15:07 talljoy we are not yet brave enough to put our libraries on master.  so the reality is that we are expecting a modified CI/CD pipeline
15:07 ashimema it may not be.. but shouldn't we be asking the question of "why isn't it" ;)
15:07 paul_p_ joined #koha
15:07 talljoy for us internally.  We will adapt to what the community does.  This is just input about what is going on in our heads
15:08 ashimema I believe if we set out a goal to get there, we could improve out practice over a few cycle to go from 6 monthly feature releases down to 3 monthly, then monthly perhaps
15:09 caroline_catlady we just went through the upgrades with our clients and while it was not nightmarish, there were still bugs in 19.05.04
15:09 ashimema it's just about getting better at spotting and fixing bugs quicker
15:09 talljoy yes.
15:09 kidclamp yeah, smaller bites, less bugs, found faster
15:09 caroline_catlady and the preparation is long too, I can't imagine doing this more often
15:09 talljoy that is what our educators say also!
15:09 ashimema I have an issue with code going in, then often not getting used in real life for nearly 18 months and then trying to remember what I was doing all that time ago to fix a bug in it is really hard
15:09 kidclamp we have been discussing that with trainers to figure out a different model
15:10 oleonard That's a good point ashimema
15:10 kellym yes @caroline_catlady, it would get a bit dicey!
15:10 talljoy ashimema, we also have that issue.  along with devs that folks pay for that they don't see for 6-12 months
15:10 ashimema totally.. I'm a dev.... we deffo need to get opinions from users, trainers and inf people
15:10 ashimema yup
15:11 kellym but good question, how far in advance would release notes come prior to doing the upgrade ?
15:11 kidclamp for devs too I like the idea of not having a 6 month window of missing getting a dev in
15:11 ashimema well.. it sounds like we certianly have the apetite to consider alternatives at least
15:11 TGoat don't forget the RM's to whom this will all fall on
15:11 ashimema we just need to work out what those are
15:11 calire left #koha
15:11 inlibro joined #koha
15:12 ashimema it doesn't really all fall on the RM..
15:12 ashimema we still have a SO/QA process.. and releaseing is pretty streamlined already in reality
15:12 davidnind kellym: has ideas about release notes vs what's new
15:12 ashimema we could do better on the packaging front I think
15:12 ashimema translation and documentation need thought though..
15:13 caroline_catlady release notes, what's new and what you have to change
15:13 ashimema but then.. perhaps they would also benefit from a smaller amount to do each month rather than a mamoth task once every 6 months
15:13 caroline_catlady like the fines reports for 19.05
15:13 davidnind kellym: release notes are continuous[…]oha-release-notes
15:14 ashimema indeed kellym
15:15 cait please keep in mind that not all people are using Koha in English
15:15 cait we need to put more work in
15:15 caroline_catlady database changes are all fine and good, but they f up a bunch of stuff when we upgrade (sorry for the big words I just spent a whole day redoing circ rules for 20+ clients)
15:15 kellym yes, so would it be beneficial to produce a what’s new outside of a release notes doc? showing only features?
15:15 cait we also have things specific to our environment that need to be tested... we need an option for slower updates too
15:15 talljoy good point cait.  bag mentioned this in our meeting yesterday as an important consideration
15:15 cait we need to make our own documentation etc. it's a big task for smaller teams
15:15 cait and we don#t have educators... we are all in one people
15:15 TGoat just thinking..  assuming that our developer numbers stay strong and we have a willing pool of RM's
15:16 wizzyrea I really think a feature flagging function in Koha would be great
15:16 ashimema experienced dev numbers aren't all that strong at the moment.. or rather volunteers to do the rmaint roles aren't at least
15:16 caroline_catlady I agree cait we are two who do tests and docs here and it's a lot
15:16 ashimema that's part of what braught me to this set of questions
15:16 davidnind kellym: would like to do that - what's new summary, details in documentation portal/manual
15:17 cait in theory we are 4... but we also do migrations /project work all the time
15:17 * wizzyrea whispers "feature flagging in the interface..."
15:17 caroline_catlady davidnind++
15:17 kidclamp so I think this is good discussion, but maybe we need to think a bit and come back with a clearer idea of the issue we are solving
15:17 ashimema I've been slowly working on a changelog type approach davidnind kellym
15:17 wizzyrea like slaaack does with the little present
15:17 ashimema our release notes aren't all that great
15:17 kidclamp like collect thoughts on wiki and in the mailing list?
15:17 ashimema feature flagging is good
15:17 talljoy it does feel like we need a bit more clarification on the needs of community/libraries/dev before deciding on what some specifics are
15:18 cait we pick and translate from them, they are mostly useful for people like us i guess
15:18 cait we pick what our libraries use
15:18 cait not every library loves CD... it could also be a selling poit to offer different clearly defined routs
15:18 ashimema How about I try to summarise what we've said today on a wiki page and invite comment via the lists
15:18 cait not force people to do updates often
15:18 cait or not get bugs fixed/security fixes
15:19 ashimema this has served it's purpose.. it's got people thinking and talking about it :)
15:19 kellym yes @davidnind highlight and direct to more information.  I love @wizzyrea idea- even an added note on the news tools could be useful.
15:19 davidnind balance between a cloud like service controlled by one vendor with continuous deployment  vs multiple providers, supported versions and stability for clients/libraries
15:19 georgew I was late to the meeting and then I've had to jump in and out while dealing with some other issues, but I think libraries would definitely want some input on these release issues
15:19 wizzyrea ubuntu does this well, with LTS and "I like punishment" releases
15:19 cait kellym: translation issues :(
15:19 kellym ah yes!  We did talk about that earlier! @cait
15:20 cait maybe solvable, but to keep in mind
15:20 ashimema wizzyrea.. it's the Ubuntu LTS + Punishment model I'm really trying to suggest ;)
15:20 georgew koha-US is having a meeting today and I'll bring this issue up and see if I can get some library peopel to read the minutes so they know what's going on
15:20 talljoy ashimema i would like a synopsis and some suggested steps forward.
15:20 wizzyrea I figured :)
15:20 ashimema ok
15:21 ashimema #action ashimema will summarise the release cycle discussion on a wiki page and invite people to contribute/comment via as many comms methods as he can muster.
15:22 talljoy ashimema++
15:22 kellym @ashimema++
15:22 huginn kellym: downloading the Perl source
15:22 ashimema thanks everyone.. a really good discussion I feel
15:22 ashimema right.. last topic then
15:22 ashimema #topic Time of next meeting
15:22 Topic for #koha is now Time of next meeting (Meeting topic: General IRC meeting 11 December 2019)
15:23 ashimema the later time but same date next month?
15:23 ashimema does the 8th work for people?
15:23 davidnind +1
15:23 talljoy yes
15:23 talljoy +1
15:23 oleonard +1
15:24 caroline_catlady ok
15:24 cait +1
15:24 ashimema davidnind.. remind me what time works well for NZ
15:25 davidnind daytime..:)
15:25 ashimema 20:00 UTC?
15:25 ashimema that's 09::00 Wellington and 15:00 New York
15:26 * ashimema isn't sure why he picked new york.. america spans too many time zones ;)
15:26 davidnind 20:00 (9 am is good), but not sure how ot suits others
15:26 caroline_catlady 20 UTC is good for east coast
15:26 oleonard '15:00 Athens, OH' is how most Americans refer to it I think
15:27 ashimema #info Next meeting: 8 January 2020, 20 UTC
15:27 ashimema brill.. we have a winner :)
15:27 ashimema #endmeeting
15:27 Topic for #koha is now Welcome to #koha this channel is for discussion of the Koha project and software
15:27 huginn Meeting ended Wed Dec 11 15:27:17 2019 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at . (v 0.1.4)
15:27 huginn Minutes:        http://meetings.koha-community[…]-12-11-14.00.html
15:27 huginn Minutes (text): http://meetings.koha-community[…]9-12-11-14.00.txt
15:27 huginn Log:            http://meetings.koha-community[…]11-14.00.log.html
15:27 ashimema thanks everyone, good meeting, lots discussed
15:27 caroline_catlady ashimema++ for bringin up controversial topics :)
15:27 davidnind ashimema++
15:28 cait ashimema++
15:29 ashimema hehe.. always a pleasure
15:29 ashimema hopefully people know by now I generally just want opinions and to see the community flourish.. so I get away with asking hard questions :)
15:29 oleonard Okay let's be honest: Someone shook the Slack tree to get all the ByWater folks to fall out, right?
15:30 ashimema they might have done ;)
15:35 * kidclamp narrows eyes at oleonard
15:36 oleonard kidclamp: Just bolstering ashimema's argument for a sexier chat system :D
15:38 ashimema hehe
15:39 * eythian would like to discourage forcing people to use a proprietary system like slack in order to work on a free software project.
15:39 * talljoy whistles innocently
15:40 caroline_catlady then make the open options sexier
15:40 ashimema rocket chat is allot sexier than irc ;)
15:40 ashimema and not far behind slack in my opinion
15:40 eythian IRC is as nice as you want it to be.
15:40 ashimema and.. it federates
15:40 caroline_catlady It looks like it, but I've never used it
15:41 caroline_catlady I've yet to find a sexy irc client
15:41 ashimema so each of the support companies could host their own for internal chat and still connect to each other and the community via the same platform and client.
15:41 eythian I have a nice GUI client that I can be connected from my phone, multiple computers, etc all at once and catches messages when I'm away, shows previews of URLs on hover, etc etc.
15:41 davidnind it's nice - have used occassioanly
15:42 eythian looks like this
15:43 UKS joined #koha
15:43 caroline_catlady that's what mine looks like too, but I don't think that's pretty or easy to read
15:43 oleonard eythian: Everyone who's never used IRC just got a chill down their spine from that screenshot
15:43 eythian then you change the font if you want to
15:43 kidclamp there are nice irc clients, but having one app/interface and not asking people to choose or customise can make it easier to get started
15:44 ashimema kidclamp++
15:44 ashimema totally
15:44 * kidclamp does like Quassel
15:44 eythian oleonard: well if it's developer chat, how do they deal with code :)
15:44 kidclamp but it's not just meant to be developer chat
15:44 ashimema the target audience isn't us.. it's the people who aren't here ;)
15:44 eythian fair
15:44 * eythian doesn't have much of a say here, just opinions, btw :)
15:44 ashimema but also we win too in my opinion.. for things like code snippets etc.
15:45 * ashimema likes opinions :)
15:45 eythian and one strong opinion is that proprietary is bad for free software and will alienate many people. But there are options that aren't that too.
15:46 eythian and for those who it doesn't alienate, perhaps they should reconsider ;)
15:46 davidnind ashimema:Dave Lane has some useful blog posts
15:46 davidnind Why Slack is better, and why open communities shouldn't use it[…]s-shouldnt-use-it
15:47 eythian davidnind: good link, thanks
15:48 oleonard I've added a big follow-up on Bug 22880 and I think it's pretty robust now. Please test! I'd love to get all similar system preferences migrated in the next release if possible
15:48 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=22880 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, Needs Signoff , Convert opacheader system preference to news block
15:49 eythian see also
15:50 caroline_catlady lol!
16:06 fridolin left #koha
16:06 Uks joined #koha
16:07 tcohen smuxi++
16:08 tcohen eythian: LOL screen+irssi to tmux+weechat
16:08 tcohen hahaha
16:11 eythian holy crap, it's I had always read it as
16:11 inlibro joined #koha
16:13 oleonard What we need is a chat system with *more* glitter.
16:13 caroline_catlady glitter++
16:19 reiveune bye
16:20 reiveune left #koha
16:25 Moe joined #koha
16:26 Moe joined #koha
16:45 paul_p joined #koha
16:57 cait left #koha
17:12 inlibro joined #koha
17:14 khall_ joined #koha
17:21 sen joined #koha
17:40 khall_ joined #koha
17:42 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.11_D8 build #3: SUCCESS in 41 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]/Koha_19.11_D8/3/
17:42 oleonard_ joined #koha
17:45 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.11_D9 build #4: STILL UNSTABLE in 44 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]/Koha_19.11_D9/4/
17:47 cait joined #koha
17:48 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.11_U18 build #4: STILL UNSTABLE in 43 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]Koha_19.11_U18/4/
17:53 cait talljoy++ :)
17:53 davidnind joined #koha
17:56 talljoy pushing them slowly cait.  trying to not screw it up.  :D
18:00 ashimema talljoy++
18:00 talljoy ashimema - i'm not sure what to do with the 'still unstable' message on jenkins
18:00 ashimema Lol.. my phone really wanted to correct that to Tallboy
18:00 ashimema Haha
18:00 talljoy very much out of my wheelhouse!
18:01 ashimema I'll take a look tonight/tomorrow morning and give you a hand..
18:01 Joubu talljoy: bug 24199 will fix the shib test
18:01 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=24199 normal, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart, Pushed to master , t/Auth_with_shibboleth.t is failing randomly
18:02 Joubu no idea what's happenning with the api ones
18:02 ashimema Basically, the process is to look at Jenkins and see which tests it's unhappy about and either fix then, ask someone nice to fix them.. or in a mean case threaten to revert something if they're not fixed..
18:02 ashimema It never really comes to that though.. lots of nice people will help fix them if you can't I find
18:03 tcohen api tests failing
18:03 tcohen ?
18:03 vfernandes which ElasticSearch version we should use with 19.11?
18:03 ashimema Haha.. Joubu is one of those aforementioned nice people
18:03 tcohen 5.x, or 6 with bugs
18:03 ashimema Either.. both should work
18:03 tcohen ashimema: he wouldn't touch api tests
18:04 Joubu tcohen: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]Build/consoleFull on U18 only it seems
18:04 ashimema You and I count as nice people there tcohen
18:04 tcohen hahaha
18:04 ashimema I just haven't managed to find a moment to look yet myself
18:05 tcohen Joubu: yes, thanks. Will try to figure how to test is without breaking my dev env which is really tweaked now
18:05 Joubu I don't have U18 either right now. I planned to take a look today but forgot
18:06 tcohen I will use a different name and test
18:07 tcohen KOHA_IMAGE=master-bionic docker-compose -p koha_bionic up
18:07 Joubu I have disk space issues... cannot pull another image...
18:08 tcohen docker system prune -a
18:08 tcohen will probably surprise you hehe
18:09 Joubu what I am doing, but cannot shut it down for now
18:10 tcohen talljoy: I'm looking at the API failures on Ubuntu 18
18:12 inlibro joined #koha
18:18 talljoy thanks tcohen
18:52 kathryn joined #koha
18:56 oleonard Hi kathryn
19:12 inlibro joined #koha
19:28 oleonard See y'all later. Test Bug 22880!
19:28 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=22880 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, Needs Signoff , Convert opacheader system preference to news block
19:33 davidnind left #koha
19:44 caroline_catlady anyone know why I would get the following message when trying to get a mana token? "An error occurred, mana server returned: URL must be absolute"
19:44 cait did you include http:// etc in your url for mana?
19:44 cait it souns like it thinks it has a relative url
19:45 caroline_catlady I don't know, I just filled in the name and email fields
19:45 caroline_catlady where do I set up the url?
19:45 cait check your mana prefs maybe?
19:45 cait hmm
19:46 cait i tihnk the mana pref is set in the koha-conf
19:46 caroline_catlady I searched for mana in koha-conf and I didn't find anythng
19:46 cait there should be... let me see
19:47 caroline_catlady mayne I have to add it manually?
19:47 cait i have a mana_config at the bottom
19:47 cait <mana_config></mana_config>
19:48 caroline_catlady before </config>?
19:48 cait inside yep
19:48 cait so before
19:48 caroline_catlady ok I will try that
19:49 caroline_catlady nope, still getting the same error
19:50 caroline_catlady ah the one on my test environment is mana-kb.koha...
19:50 caroline_catlady will try that
19:50 cait hm maybe
19:50 cait i had mana-test
19:50 cait but assumed mana would be the real one
19:52 JesseM joined #koha
19:52 caroline_catlady -_- still not working...
19:53 cait did you do a reastart_all?
19:53 caroline_catlady no?
19:53 wahanui no is that a thing? I was just thinking about how I like all kinds of chips and now I find out that there is a licorice flavor!
19:53 caroline_catlady licorice chips!
19:53 cait i think a change to koha-conf might not take effect without apache restart
19:53 caroline_catlady ah!
19:53 cait caroline_catlady: andreas sent us some... they were... interesting
19:54 caroline_catlady yeah, I'm not a fan of licorice so I don't think I would even try
19:54 caroline_catlady not a fan of fennel either... tastes like licorice
19:56 cait true, i like both :) and ouzo
19:58 caroline_catlady ah it worked!
19:59 caroline_catlady Thank you!
19:59 caroline_catlady cait++
19:59 cait great :)
20:03 caroline_catlady for future reference, the url is
20:12 inlibro joined #koha
20:35 andreashm joined #koha
20:59 kellym_ joined #koha
21:00 andreashm joined #koha
21:01 khall joined #koha
21:04 kellym_ left #koha
21:12 inlibro joined #koha
21:14 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.11_D9 build #5: STILL UNSTABLE in 43 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]/Koha_19.11_D9/5/
21:16 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.11_D8 build #4: UNSTABLE in 36 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]/Koha_19.11_D8/4/
21:26 koha-jenkins Project Koha_19.11_U18 build #5: STILL UNSTABLE in 41 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]Koha_19.11_U18/5/
21:33 lukeG joined #koha
22:12 inlibro joined #koha
22:38 talljoy joined #koha
23:13 inlibro joined #koha

| Channels | #koha index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | plain, newest first | summary