IRC log for #koha, 2015-11-18

All times shown according to UTC.

Time S Nick Message
00:20 dcook eythian: Were you the one that linked that wesome i18n youtube video?
00:20 dcook Maybe it was cjh...
00:20 eythian twas me
00:21 dcook What's the title or link again?
00:21 * dcook is going to include it in an email :p
00:21 eythian it's by tomm scott
00:21 eythian -m
00:21 dcook Beauty. Cheers
00:21 eythian wahanui: internationalisation
00:21 wahanui eythian: what?
00:21 wizzyrea
00:21 dcook winning, both of you
00:22 wizzyrea this one is pretty good too.
00:22 dcook Prepare for yet another Zebra email ;)
00:22 dcook I don't know how ES or Solr would do it either though..
00:23 dcook "it" being...
00:23 dcook How to treat "special" characters
00:23 dcook In Danish, å and aa are the same thing
00:23 dcook But they sure aren't in English
00:23 dcook So you might be able to specify that rule at search time, but what do you do at indexing time?
00:23 * dcook 's head explodes
00:24 dcook You also can't map å to a in Danish, I think, as those are completely different characters
00:24 dcook Although for sorting purposes, maybe you can get away with it
00:25 * dcook imagines that Indexdata must be as sick of hearing from him as koha-devel :p
00:26 eythian my hypothetical solution was to note the language the record was in and use that information when ES analyses it.
00:26 eythian not sure if it'd work, I didn't give it a lot of thought
00:28 eythian I don't think I would consider doing full dumps a few times per day any sort of best practice.
00:29 JoshB joined #koha
00:29 cait hm yeah
00:30 wizzyrea sigh.
00:33 dcook The only thing is that records aren't necessarily in just one language :/
00:33 dcook Yeah, I wouldn't do multiple full dumps a day
00:33 dcook I certainly wouldn't consider it "incremental" either
00:36 dcook I'd never heard of incremental MySQL backups though... although it looks perhaps like it's an "enterprise" thing?
00:36 dcook Ah, I guess you could use the binary logs..
00:37 * dcook is going to stop being sidetracked...
01:00 cait bag++
01:00 cait hm i think we might backup transaction logs?
01:02 dcook I don't know if transaction logs are necessarily that useable though
01:02 dcook I think you can playback binary logs?
01:02 * dcook pretends not to be distracted
01:04 cait heh
01:05 cait i think you can restore with what we have to a certain hour during a day
01:05 cait but i might got the name wrong
01:09 * dcook shrugs
01:15 eythian dcook: if records contain multiple languages and you can't flag them on a field-by-field basis, you've already lost.
01:18 eythian <-- cait, when you visit Amsterdam again, beware you don't end up on the wrong train
01:21 dcook eythian: Yeah, I think we've already lost as well.
01:21 dcook I guess DSpace does flag things on a field by field basis...
01:21 dcook MARC--
01:21 dcook I'm thinking an intermediary format would be awesomesauce
01:21 dcook But it would have its own challenges... especially as library folk are hardwired for MARC
01:22 dcook Well, except the ones who've never heard of it...>_>
01:22 rangi which is most of them
01:22 rangi people seem to forget that
01:22 wizzyrea ^
01:23 eythian dcook: you saw my talk slide about that...
01:24 eythian (specifically, it was this image: https://eutopialaw.files.wordp[…]syndrome-logo.jpg )
01:25 cait heh
01:29 dcook hehe
01:30 dcook I was thinking about this recently...
01:30 dcook Why do libraries want to use MARC?
01:30 dcook Well, copy cataloguing
01:30 dcook So you need to be able to ingest MARC
01:30 dcook Easy
01:30 dcook Do they really need to be able to export it? Perhaps...
01:30 rangi not really no
01:30 rangi pretty much no one wants it
01:31 dcook Well maybe not "want"
01:31 cait hmm not sure that's true
01:31 dcook But it's a requirement a lot of the time
01:31 rangi national libraries want quality records
01:31 rangi not your locally catalogued stuff
01:31 cait i think it depends on the type of library
01:32 rangi i can't think of anything, other than another library, that would ever want a MARC record
01:32 dcook Ahh, I see what you're saying rangi
01:32 dcook Possibly another system
01:32 dcook Like an aggregator/discovery/whatever thing
01:33 dcook And just for lack of another standard
01:33 rangi yep
01:33 cait use cases i can think of are union catalogs
01:33 cait rds
01:33 cait databases
01:33 wahanui databases are not automated.
01:33 cait and i have had all that happen
01:33 rangi yes, just other libraries
01:33 rangi no one else in the world wants it
01:33 cait also... if you ever want to switch to another ils
01:34 rangi then your marc records probably have to be massaged/fixed anyway
01:34 rangi which takes about as long as making them
01:34 * rangi has done a few migrations now :)
01:34 tcohen joined #koha
01:34 cait we migrated only from one system that gave us marc so far
01:34 cait and it was the fastest one
01:35 cait the fastest migration
01:35 dcook rangi: I was thinking a bit about bibliographic data and the rest of the world...
01:36 dcook I suppose that's why Worldcat is a thing
01:36 dcook No reason why so many libraries need to have their own copies of Record X
01:36 dcook The library just needs access points for physical and electronic resources
01:36 dcook I need to write a blog post and link it for LODLAM...
01:36 wizzyrea the reason is because of rule 123.
01:36 rangi i dont think there is any need to store it as MARC anymore
01:37 rangi hasnt been for 20 odd years
01:37 dcook Agreed
01:37 dcook Well at least not internally
01:37 tcohen jared set a great starting point with Koha::MetadataRecord
01:37 dcook Maybe serialize it as MARCXML inbetween systems, although even then...
01:38 rangi tcohen: yep, he did, we should revisit that
01:39 * dcook always meant to look at that
01:39 dcook Not me volunteering though :p
01:40 * dcook has his hands full with Zebra and all the other things..
01:40 dcook But yeah, we don't have to use MARC with Zebra either
01:40 dcook We could use any XML format
01:40 dcook I was actually thinking about that too...
01:40 tcohen dcook: leave the MARCXML alone, add other formats :-D
01:41 dcook That's what I mean :p
01:41 dcook Well, MARCXML would have to go
01:41 dcook The only thing I would want is to be able to import/export
01:41 tcohen and why not put patron data there too? (ES or Zebra)
01:41 dcook But not use it internally
01:41 dcook I don't know if there would be any advance to that
01:41 dcook advantage*
01:41 tcohen we end up writing weird code trying to implement some relevance sorting when we have the tools to do it right
01:41 dcook Hmm?
01:41 rangi yup
01:42 dcook What do you mean about relevance sorting?
01:42 tcohen I mean auto-complete features
01:42 rangi we can index users in ES
01:42 tcohen you cannot give them just an alphabetic sort
01:42 dcook Ahh
01:42 tcohen it becomes useless
01:42 cait we coul dindex everything there... and have facets :)
01:42 cait orders... with facets for the vendor... the date...
01:43 dcook index all the things!
01:43 tcohen I knew a librarian would embrace it :-D
01:43 dcook I wonder sometimes how difficult it would be to separate MARC out..
01:43 dcook Probably a million times harder than my wildest imagination
01:45 rangi i reckon just ingest it, stick it somewhere, and never touch it again
01:45 bag yeah I really want to index users in ES - that’s something coming down the road
01:45 bag when we’ve got the time
01:46 dcook rangi: I like that idea, although I wonder how many libraries will want MARC out
01:46 rangi the longer we keep showing people MARC, the longer we prolong the problem
01:46 rangi no one should ever see it
01:46 cait true
01:47 cait it's not for users
01:47 dcook true true
01:47 dcook When I say someone, I mean a library/librarian
01:47 rangi creating MARC records isn't hard
01:48 dcook Creating accurate ones isn't easy :p
01:48 rangi if someone really wants one
01:48 dcook The leader and controlfields can be... less than fun
01:48 dcook Although who really pays much attention to those anyway
01:48 dcook The core content would be easy enough to export as MARC
01:49 dcook And if we have an extensible internal format, it's not necessarily that hard to add new fields if we need them
01:49 * dcook still wishes he understood linked data better
01:49 dcook I think it has to rely on a local cache...
01:49 dcook Otherwise you couldn't index anything
01:50 dcook And then you must refresh your cache from the linked source..
01:50 tcohen dcook: you need to feed a search engine, it is easier to have them locallyç
01:51 eythian search engines need a steady supply of human flesh, after all.
01:51 dcook ^
01:52 dcook tcohen: So you feed the search engine a local cached version... do you also display that local cached version?
01:52 dcook I find the idea of importing linked data interesting..
01:52 dcook Which is probably a uniquely library problem
01:52 dcook Well maybe not..
01:52 dcook But the idea that you'd write your own linked data records for your holdings...
01:52 tcohen dcook: why not think another use cases? like importing a thesaurus
01:52 dcook Because you need to describe what you have/have access to..
01:53 dcook tcohen: A thesaurus is general though, so that should be easy enough
01:53 dcook What I mean is..
01:53 dcook You have Records 1-100
01:54 dcook Or rather... Items 1-100
01:54 dcook And you can get records 50-100 from the national library
01:54 dcook But you have to write your own 1-49 records
01:54 dcook So you write your records... maybe link to the national library for authorized terms or to their thesaurus
01:54 dcook But then you import the other 50-100?
01:55 dcook Who would want your data?
01:55 dcook It's not necessarily unique
01:55 tcohen dcook: do you want them to be searchable from a UI for the end user?
01:55 dcook Of course
01:55 dcook No point having them if the user can't search for htem
01:55 dcook them*
01:55 tcohen you need to grab them, each time you want to index them
01:56 dcook Right
01:56 tcohen i'd have a local cache, probably through OAI sets harvesting or smth like that
01:57 dcook O_o
01:57 dcook So you have multiple caches?
01:57 dcook One for the original record, and one for the dereferenced record?
01:57 dcook The dereferenced record gets fed to your search engine and shown to users
01:57 dcook The original is used to update the dereferenced records
01:58 dcook You get the original records either via OAI-PMH or manual cataloguing or some other method...
01:58 dcook I've been thinking about duplicates with that scenario as well...
01:59 dcook In theory, the URI/IRI for the records you harvest via OAI-PMH will still point to the original source
01:59 dcook But... you're hosting those records now
01:59 dcook So surely you'd need to re-write that
01:59 dcook e.g. <bf:Text rdf:about="">
02:00 dcook And then how do you serialize that for other people who want to link to your content?
02:00 dcook 50-100 are just copies from the national library
02:01 dcook I should put that in the blog post :p
02:09 tcohen dcook: it needs to simplify things, otherwise something is not ok
02:14 cait night all
02:14 wahanui goodnight cait. You'll be back.
02:14 cait left #koha
02:15 dcook tcohen: How do you mean?
02:46 huginn New commit(s) kohagit: Bug 15199: t/db_dependent/Review.t should not depend on existing data <[…]c46b68d28299aefd9> / Bug 14954: Remove unused C4::Calendar::addDate subroutine <[…]e34e54a900c59326c> / Bug 14954: (followup) Display exceptions in syspref format <http://git.koha-commu
03:21 tcohen I really like Firefox Developer Edition
03:21 wizzyrea it's not terrible :)
03:21 wizzyrea (but I've only used it a little)
03:25 Amit_Gupta joined #koha
03:43 wizzyrea well that is a weird bug.
03:46 wizzyrea select all -> add to list from a result page gives you double ups in your list.
03:48 wizzyrea (that'll be 3.20.5, not master. I haven't checked master)
04:29 Francesca joined #koha
04:29 Francesca home at last
04:29 Francesca an entire day of python is hard work
04:30 Francesca @wunder wlf
04:30 huginn Francesca: Error: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
04:30 Francesca @wunder wlg
04:30 huginn Francesca: The current temperature in Wellington, New Zealand is 12.0°C (5:00 PM NZDT on November 18, 2015). Conditions: Mostly Cloudy. Humidity: 54%. Dew Point: 3.0°C. Pressure: 30.04 in 1017 hPa (Steady).
04:34 dcook @wunder syd
04:34 huginn dcook: The current temperature in Sydney, New South Wales is 37.0°C (3:00 PM AEDT on November 18, 2015). Conditions: Clear. Humidity: 14%. Dew Point: 5.0°C. Pressure: 29.80 in 1009 hPa (Steady).
04:34 dcook 37... sounds about right
04:35 dcook It's a bit warm out there
04:46 Francesca nicer than here
04:47 dcook 12 degrees isn't bad
04:47 dcook I don't mind the 37 so much as I'm in an office now :p
04:47 dcook air conditioned office*
04:47 dcook These boots sure trap the heat though
04:49 saa joined #koha
04:49 Francesca lol
04:50 saa is it possible to customize metadata fields as per document type in koha and see them in opac and staff client. we have a collection of videos and we wanted to add video duration, editor, director etc. as metadata fields and they should also be available on staff client and OPAC
04:50 saa can someone guide us doing it in koha
05:12 Francesca joined #koha
05:24 Francesca joined #koha
05:56 saa is it possible to customize metadata fields as per document type in koha and see them in opac and staff client. we have a collection of videos and we wanted to add video duration, editor, director etc. as metadata fields and they should also be available on staff client and OPAC
06:15 * magnuse waves
06:19 magnuse @later tell rangi when i woke up, koha-under-plack would not play well with memcached again
06:19 huginn magnuse: The operation succeeded.
06:30 hyvaria joined #koha
06:50 mveron-away_ joined #koha
06:50 mveron Good morning / daytime #koha
06:58 Francesca joined #koha
07:00 Viktor joined #koha
07:04 mveron-away joined #koha
07:21 fridolin joined #koha
07:26 mario joined #koha
07:29 laurence joined #koha
07:30 fridolin joined #koha
07:30 fridolin hie
07:31 Viktor joined #koha
07:33 June joined #koha
07:33 June Hi
07:33 wahanui bonjour, June
07:34 Francesca joined #koha
07:34 June I need help setting up SRU web services for KOHA
07:36 June Using Zebra, I am able to retrieve the records in XML format.
07:36 June But I couldn't get the records in DC format.
07:36 June is there anything I need to change in config file?
07:36 June does anyone know how to solve it?
07:37 June this is working link[…]ordSchema=marcxml
07:37 June If I set recordSchema=dc, I get an error <uri>info:srw/diagnostic/1/66</uri> <details>dc</details> <message>Unknown schema for retrieval</message>
07:42 reiveune joined #koha
07:42 reiveune hello
07:43 sophie_m joined #koha
07:46 June hi reiveune
07:46 reiveune hi June
07:51 rocio left #koha
07:53 magnuse joined #koha
07:53 magnuse June: try oai_dc?
07:55 June magnuse recordSchema=oai_dc?
07:55 June it is same error
07:56 June[…]cordSchema=oai_dc
08:00 magnuse ah, sorry i was mixing up sru and oai-pmh
08:00 gaetan_B joined #koha
08:00 gaetan_B hello
08:01 alex_a joined #koha
08:01 * magnuse is not too happy about the evrything-on-one-page version of the manual
08:02 alex_a bonjour
08:14 Francesca joined #koha
08:15 cait joined #koha
08:16 cait morning #koha
08:16 wilfrid joined #koha
08:17 June hi cait
08:17 cait hi June
08:17 June could you please help me
08:17 June :D
08:19 magnuse June: i think the available formats should be specified in your koha-conf.xml, under <server id="publicserver"  listenref="publicserver">
08:20 magnuse but i suspect at least for normarc there is something wrong with the config there, so the only available format is marcxml
08:23 cait morning mveron :)
08:23 mveron cait: Good morning :-)
08:24 cait mveron: lots of progress yesterday :)
08:24 mveron I atteched a follow-up to bug 14870 but wait with testing
08:24 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=14870 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, veron, Failed QA , Delete C4/ from System
08:24 cait i tihnk only 3 bugs now?
08:24 mveron And yes, its a great progress
08:25 cait i have to leave soon, but will be back late afternoon
08:25 mveron cait: Thanks a lot!
08:29 June Thanks mveron. I will give a try
08:32 mveron June: Thanks! I will also do some more tests on my latest patch on 14870
08:32 * mveron is back in some minutes
08:43 bumby joined #koha
08:49 Francesca joined #koha
09:03 cait @wunder Konstanz
09:03 huginn cait: The current temperature in Konstanz, Germany is 15.0°C (10:00 AM CET on November 18, 2015). Conditions: Scattered Clouds. Humidity: 50%. Dew Point: 7.0°C. Pressure: 30.21 in 1023 hPa (Rising).
09:06 mveron @wunder Basel
09:06 huginn mveron: The current temperature in Basel, Switzerland is 15.0°C (10:00 AM CET on November 18, 2015). Conditions: Scattered Clouds. Humidity: 67%. Dew Point: 9.0°C. Pressure: 30.27 in 1025 hPa (Rising).
09:11 Francesca @wunder wlg
09:11 huginn Francesca: The current temperature in Wellington, New Zealand is 10.0°C (10:00 PM NZDT on November 18, 2015). Conditions: Mostly Cloudy. Humidity: 62%. Dew Point: 3.0°C. Pressure: 30.15 in 1021 hPa (Rising).
09:15 magnuse @wunder boo
09:15 huginn magnuse: The current temperature in Bodo Vi, Norway is 3.0°C (10:00 AM CET on November 18, 2015). Conditions: Light Rain. Humidity: 82%. Dew Point: 1.0°C. Pressure: 29.29 in 992 hPa (Rising).
09:15 magnuse kinda looks like it might snow
09:16 mveron_ joined #koha
09:17 mveron_ joined #koha
09:18 mveron_ joined #koha
09:20 andreashm joined #koha
09:23 * andreashm waves
09:30 Viktor joined #koha
09:32 Francesca joined #koha
09:48 Traumatan joined #koha
10:24 mveron joined #koha
10:25 * mveron connected again
10:42 paul_p joined #koha
10:44 paul_p_ joined #koha
11:06 mveron-away Lunch...
11:06 wahanui well, lunch is a good idea :)
11:36 tcohen joined #koha
11:36 tcohen i really like 3.22
11:36 gerundio joined #koha
11:50 andreashm joined #koha
11:53 Viktor joined #koha
12:10 Viktor joined #koha
12:17 Viktor joined #koha
12:26 tcohen joined #koha
12:28 tcohen_ joined #koha
12:29 tcohen morning
12:29 laurence joined #koha
12:33 magnuse kia ora tcohen
12:33 tcohen hi magnuse
12:34 tcohen khall?
12:34 wahanui khall is volunteering to come over and fix it for you, it seems. ;)
12:34 khall what's up?
12:35 tcohen re bug 15032
12:35 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=15032 major, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart, In Discussion , Plack testing -- Stage MARC records for import -- Internal Server Error/Stalled Staged Import
12:35 tcohen did u or piano have any progress?
12:35 mveron Hi again everybody :-)
12:35 khall tcohen: I haven't, I'll have to check with piano
12:49 meliss joined #koha
12:51 Viktor joined #koha
12:53 andreashm ah, another Swedish university library choses Koha! sweet!
13:07 JoshB joined #koha
13:09 magnuse woohoof or gothenburg!
13:09 gaetan_B good news andreashm :)
13:10 tcohen fridolin: can someone at biblibre restart the jenkins server?
13:11 xarragon Anyone know a basic tutorial on Z39.50/yaz?
13:11 fridolin tcohen: mmh, i is not in our servers i think
13:12 fridolin I ask
13:25 Dyrcona joined #koha
13:25 * mveron counts remaining bugs for C4::Dates and date format: 2 (in words: two): Bug 14870 and Bug 12072
13:25 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=14870 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, veron, Needs Signoff , Delete C4/ from System
13:25 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=12072 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, veron, Signed Off , New dateformat
13:31 liw @wunder torrevieja
13:31 huginn liw: The current temperature in Acequion, Torrevieja, Spain is 19.4°C (2:31 PM CET on November 18, 2015). Conditions: Clear. Humidity: 61%. Dew Point: 12.0°C. Pressure: 30.33 in 1027 hPa (Falling).
13:43 hanthana joined #koha
13:52 Viktor joined #koha
14:03 andreashm joined #koha
14:05 talljoy joined #koha
14:06 * andreashm is back again, had a meeting
14:16 NateC joined #koha
14:19 cma joined #koha
14:29 mario joined #koha
14:43 gaetan_B bye
14:58 magnuse joined #koha
15:01 trasheagle joined #koha
15:03 andreashm OT question: anyone have any good documentation of the history of Evergreen? or good examples of history/forming of other open source communities? Apart from Koha, I think Hydra is a nice example.
15:13 amyk joined #koha
15:15 wnickc joined #koha
15:35 JoshB joined #koha
15:55 fridolin left #koha
15:57 bag good morning :)  The sun is shining
15:58 bag @wunder portland or
15:58 huginn bag: The current temperature in Portland - West Hills, Portland, Oregon is 4.8°C (7:57 AM PST on November 18, 2015). Conditions: Partly Cloudy. Humidity: 96%. Dew Point: 4.0°C. Windchill: 5.0°C. Pressure: 30.30 in 1026 hPa (Steady).
15:58 bag chilly but sunny - I’ll take it
16:05 xarragon Is there a way in zebra to search a specific MARC record field?
16:05 xarragon Possibly AND:ed together with another one?
16:06 xarragon And is that expressable through the Koha interface?
16:10 TGoat joined #koha
16:11 reiveune bye
16:11 reiveune left #koha
16:12 TGoat joined #koha
16:19 pianohacker joined #koha
16:21 mario joined #koha
16:25 mario joined #koha
16:25 cbrannon joined #koha
16:28 laurence left #koha
16:32 mario joined #koha
16:34 mario joined #koha
16:42 JesseM joined #koha
16:44 mario joined #koha
16:48 mario joined #koha
17:11 rocio joined #koha
17:16 khall_ joined #koha
17:28 * mveron is back in about 5 hours
17:51 JoshB joined #koha
17:52 z0k joined #koha
17:53 pianohacker @later tell cait We have a partner asking about bug 8753. May I ask if there are any QA concerns I could help with?
17:53 huginn pianohacker: The operation succeeded.
18:03 cdickinson_ joined #koha
18:08 cait joined #koha
18:09 * cait waves
18:14 JoshB joined #koha
18:24 bag heya cait
18:25 cait hi bag :)
18:25 bag man I run a test and it fails - stop to say hi to cait and now it passes
18:25 cait heh
18:25 bag good luck charm cait
18:25 cait try running it again?
18:25 cait which one is t?
18:25 cait i had hat happen recently... fails once, passes all the timeafter that
18:26 bag prove t/db_dependent/Circulation/Returns.t
18:26 bag I think I left out a step cait - I must have tested then applied patch - then said hi - then tested again :P
18:27 cait also an option :)
18:27 tcohen hi
18:27 wahanui bonjour, tcohen
18:27 tcohen @seen jenkins_koha
18:27 huginn tcohen: jenkins_koha was last seen in #koha 6 days, 20 hours, 55 minutes, and 25 seconds ago: <jenkins_koha> tcohen: you're so kind to me!
18:27 * cait had a lovely day away from the computer
18:28 tcohen can anyone reboot jenkins :-D ?
18:28 cait hm biblibre?
18:28 wahanui well, biblibre is everywhere ;)
18:29 tcohen which one baG?
18:30 bag tcohen is all good :)  just following the test plan…  It’s all good :D
19:09 cait bag++
19:09 cait :)
20:15 * mveron waves
20:20 wizzyrea hi
20:24 wizzyrea so, anyone who's around, please give http://www.koha-community a try
20:24 wizzyrea (it should be working fine, let me know if it isn't)
20:28 talljoy1 joined #koha
20:33 ibeardslee seems fine to me
20:34 wnickc works with a .org at the end :b
20:34 wizzyrea hehe
20:35 talljoy joined #koha
20:36 wizzyrea yay
20:36 wizzyrea thanks ibeardslee :)
20:38 talljoy2 joined #koha
20:47 tcohen joined #koha
20:47 tcohen hi
20:50 wizzyrea hello tcohen
20:52 tcohen wizzyrea: do u know who has access to the jenkins server?
20:55 wizzyrea I am sure rangi does
20:55 wizzyrea but I'm not sure who else, maybe the wiki knows
20:56 wizzyrea[…]te_Administration shame - it's not documented. we should find out and write it down
21:02 wizzyrea[…] tcohen, for when you find out
21:05 eythian hi
21:11 tcohen joined #koha
21:13 tcohen wizzyrea: in the meantime have some one fire it up should work
21:19 cait me waves
21:19 * cait waves even
21:19 cait oh now i missed tcohen
21:20 eythian it's because you waved wrong
21:20 wizzyrea THERE IS NO WRONG WAVING.
21:20 * Dyrcona waves odd
21:20 wizzyrea nope, still right.
21:23 cait heh thx wizzyrea!
21:25 pianohacker cait: did you see the bug I poked you about?
21:25 cait i was gone all day today
21:25 cait let me take a look now
21:25 pianohacker oh kk
21:25 pianohacker it's not urgent, just looking for info
21:25 cait ah
21:25 cait it hit qa queue after feature freeze
21:26 tcohen joined #koha
21:26 cait sadly - because i'd like to have that too
21:26 cait we are focusing on bugs for now - until the release is out
21:26 pianohacker so you've been taking a breather? That makes sense
21:26 cait ?
21:26 pianohacker I'll tell them it'll get a look later on once the 3.24 cycle gets rolling
21:27 pianohacker thank youuuuuu
21:27 cait if breather = break - then nope :P
21:27 cait just focusing on bugs vs enh for now
21:27 pianohacker heh, well, from big features
21:27 cait because bug fixes still get pushed
21:27 pianohacker thank god ;_;
21:27 pianohacker thanks for helping me get that rancor bugfix in quickly
21:28 JoshB joined #koha
21:28 cait got a quick sign-off -
21:28 cait hector++
21:28 pianohacker yup
21:28 pianohacker indeed
21:34 cait wizzyrea: the list bug sounds bad
21:34 cait do you know if someone is owrking on it?
21:34 wizzyrea I don't
21:34 pianohacker list bug?
21:34 wizzyrea idk about "bad" but it's pretty annoying
21:34 wizzyrea idk how many people "select all -> add to list"
21:34 wizzyrea i mean, I do that when I'm testing lists because it's an easy way to get a ton of stuff in a list.
21:34 pianohacker a bug number, my kingdom for a bug number
21:35 wizzyrea bug 15203
21:35 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=15203 normal, P5 - low, ---, gmcharlt, NEW , select all -> add to list from a result page in the OPAC gives you double ups in your list
21:35 pianohacker gracias
21:35 pianohacker that, um.
21:35 wizzyrea note I haven't tried in master.
21:35 cait i think it's OPAC... so bad
21:35 cait very bad
21:35 cait hm lt me check that whie the tests run :)
21:36 tcohen joined #koha
21:37 wizzyrea ah yeah, it still does it on master
21:38 cait hm wierd it works ok for me
21:38 wizzyrea hmm
21:38 pianohacker cait: it's not _losing_ data
21:38 cait opac - result list - select all - add to new list?
21:38 pianohacker in fact, it's kindly making sure you have two copies of it!
21:38 wizzyrea pianohacker: can you replicate it?
21:38 wizzyrea it is possible that I have something weird about my db or something.
21:39 pianohacker um lemme try
21:39 cait wizzyrea: i can't add the same records twice...
21:39 wizzyrea it's not explicitly adding them twice
21:39 cait my list stays at 20 entires = 1 result list hm.
21:40 wizzyrea let me look at what's in the database
21:41 wizzyrea "List deleted with success." lol this message.
21:41 wizzyrea that's aside.
21:42 wizzyrea it is definitely displaying double ups on the list result page for me
21:42 wizzyrea and only when select all
21:42 wizzyrea but it's not putting doubles in the db
21:42 pianohacker wft
21:43 wizzyrea was that a wfm or a wtf?
21:44 pianohacker what's a wfm?
21:44 pianohacker cause the answer may be both
21:44 wizzyrea works for me
21:45 pianohacker oh
21:45 Viktor joined #koha
21:46 pianohacker wizzyrea: can't dup
21:46 cait wizzyrea: hm checing the views again
21:46 wizzyrea that's so weird. I can get it every time
21:47 cait private or public list?
21:47 wizzyrea I tried with both
21:47 cait hm
21:47 wizzyrea
21:48 * wizzyrea reindexes
21:48 tcohen @later tell rangi is it possible to kick the jenkins server, just in case it wakes up?
21:48 huginn tcohen: The operation succeeded.
21:48 NateC joined #koha
21:48 cait tcohen: i think he is in chch today - see twitter
21:49 wizzyrea oh. don't hit me
21:49 eythian he is
21:49 wizzyrea please don't
21:49 cait wizzyrea: can we tickle?
21:49 wizzyrea yes
21:49 wizzyrea that is fine
21:49 eythian @fish wizzyrea
21:49 huginn eythian: I'll give you the answer as soon as RDA is ready
21:49 eythian hmm
21:50 wizzyrea no I don't want to be slapped by a trout.
21:50 cait wizzyrea: doubles up records in your db?
21:50 wizzyrea >.< yes
21:50 * wizzyrea dumps that database, we are breaking up for good.
21:50 * cait sends chocolate
21:50 cait ... I had a bad bugzilla day yesterday too
21:51 Francesca joined #koha
21:51 wizzyrea that completely explains the database though
21:52 wizzyrea of course it's got the 20 in there. because there were 10 records, twice. Ugh.
21:53 cait hm
21:53 cait how do i best find hte one suppressed record in my db...
21:53 cait ah . sql.
21:53 wizzyrea yeah.
21:54 wizzyrea how come normarc isn't an option in the installer, don't we support it?
21:54 wizzyrea just curious
21:54 wizzyrea I don't actually care that it's not there
21:54 wizzyrea but someone might.
21:56 cait hm i think it only appars for norwegian
21:56 Francesca good morning
21:56 wahanui well, it's morning somewhere, yes
21:56 cait i think the normarc sample data/frameworks etc. only exist in the norwegian web installer
21:56 cait so it doesn't get listed when you run it in another language
21:57 wizzyrea aha
21:58 wizzyrea bless you all for putting up with my dumb questions
22:00 pianohacker that's not actually a dumb question
22:00 pianohacker I would have been surprised by that too
22:04 cait wizzyrea: ... i just did one of those fail qas where immediaely after you hit 'save' in bugzilla, you know it's your fault
22:04 wizzyrea <sympathy>
22:04 pianohacker I knew it!
22:05 eythian[…]ativity-pt-2.html <-- cait
22:05 meliss left #koha
22:06 meliss joined #koha
22:06 trasheagle joined #koha
22:06 cait eythian: heh
22:07 cait hm go wheel i would translate to drive wheel...
22:07 cait and i have no idea about into-the-groundening
22:07 eythian that doesn't make it better
22:07 cait we have 'under-the-earth-bringing' tho...
22:07 wizzyrea hm. I'm thinking about how we "hide" setting permissions
22:08 pianohacker ?
22:08 eythian cait: is potato "ground apple" there too?
22:08 wizzyrea I just had the rather daft thought that maybe that function should be a tab on the side
22:08 wizzyrea instead of under "more"
22:08 cait that depends on where you ask people in germany :)
22:08 eythian fair enough :)
22:08 Francesca lol ground apple
22:09 cait wizzyrea: hm not sur aboutthe tab... we already got so many and it only applies to a few users
22:09 pianohacker yeah...
22:09 * eythian notes that "orange" (the colour) in English comes from "orange" (the fruit.) Not the other way around.
22:09 pianohacker the interface could use some love tho
22:09 Francesca interface?
22:09 wahanui it has been said that interface is optional.
22:09 Francesca what for?
22:09 cait eythian: and most of those words are very fitting!
22:10 eythian cait: sure, but not creative :)
22:10 cait pf
22:10 eythian good poing
22:10 cait what's a naked snail in english?
22:10 wizzyrea slug
22:10 eythian what is with "pferd" anyway?
22:10 eythian who puts "pf" like that?
22:10 cait horse?
22:10 wizzyrea permissions is both a function and a view
22:11 eythian also pfepper or however you say it :)
22:11 cait pfeffer
22:11 cait = pepper
22:11 eythian that's right
22:11 wahanui no it's not.
22:11 wizzyrea Francesca: for the borrower details/circulation pages
22:11 Francesca oh
22:12 Francesca cool
22:12 wizzyrea that more menu is a hodgepodge of "stuff"
22:12 * Francesca just pays attention to the idea that something needs prettying up
22:13 cait true
22:13 cait like the more at the top :)
22:13 wizzyrea I've never been sure why cataloguing was under "more"
22:14 wizzyrea it's 50% of the reason a librarian might use Koha
22:14 cait hm and tools
22:14 wizzyrea (give or take)
22:14 pianohacker yes
22:14 pianohacker there should be a rancor button in the top toolbar
22:14 pianohacker instant rancor
22:14 cait with a little dinosaur?
22:14 pianohacker I think the star wars character would make a lumpy, angry icon
22:15 wizzyrea[…]-rancor-plush.jpg
22:15 pianohacker hehehe
22:15 wizzyrea actually I'd love to fix up the tools page.
22:16 wizzyrea oh there was another thing I wanted to do to the label creator too.
22:16 wizzyrea I wanted to add that "tools" sidebar to it
22:16 wizzyrea to match many of the other tools
22:16 cait ew
22:16 cait wizzyrea: i'd like that
22:16 cait maybe add a bug?
22:17 wizzyrea yeah actually that's an omnibus, there are quite a few tools that don't have it
22:17 wizzyrea uneven in application :/
22:17 wizzyrea there are probably tools that aren't listed in the sidebar too
22:19 wizzyrea that... will be a challenge on the "tags moderation" page because of the filters that are already in that sidebar.
22:19 wizzyrea that's going to take some thinking
22:19 eythian
22:20 wizzyrea teehee
22:20 Viktor joined #koha
22:22 mveron good night / daytime #koha
22:23 wizzyrea hum, did we know that deleting quotes makes the interface hang at "processing"
22:23 wizzyrea TypeError: this.oApi._fnServerParams is not a function
22:25 NateC joined #koha
22:33 wizzyrea \o/
22:34 Francesca I want to make it greener somehow
22:34 Francesca buut thats just me
22:34 wizzyrea nah, green is bad for colour blind people
22:35 * Francesca thinks guiltly of the dashboard
22:37 eythian green for differentiation can be bad
22:37 eythian for decoration I think it's OK
22:38 cait yeah red/green as indicators for something are not good
22:38 Francesca thats good
22:39 wizzyrea (I like green for decoration, but not for things like links)
22:39 Francesca mmm
22:42 tcohen joined #koha
22:44 wizzyrea if you looked at me whilst coming in to work today, you'd realise that I actually quite like green, generally. :)
22:45 tcohen khall_away: I love the font awesome icons
22:45 cait i think they appear... clearer?
22:45 wizzyrea they are
22:45 cait somehow
22:45 wizzyrea they scale better.
22:45 cait yeah
22:45 tcohen they look polished
22:46 tcohen even if they are… similar
22:46 wizzyrea I think they're vector
22:46 tcohen is that thing…
22:46 cait svg i tink
22:46 wizzyrea ^
22:46 tcohen yes, they are
22:46 cait some look a bit or more different to before
22:46 wizzyrea our designers were asking about adding fontawesome yonks ago
22:46 wizzyrea so they were pretty excited when I told them :)
22:46 Francesca font awesome?
22:47 cait not sure if it's availalbe for opac yet
22:47 wizzyrea it's only a matter of time amirite
22:47 Francesca what is font awesome?
22:47 cait and someone has to do it heh :)
22:47 wizzyrea Francesca could do that :0
22:47 wizzyrea :)
22:47 cait Francesca: svg picture you can use like characters in a font
22:47 Francesca oh cool
22:47 cait ... but someone else can probalby explain it better
22:47 Francesca lol
22:48 wizzyrea google knows everything ^.^
22:48 cait i hope not :)
22:48 Francesca and so does wahanui
22:48 wizzyrea well it knows everything about font awesome :P
22:48 cait okok :)
22:48 Francesca this looks awesome
22:49 wizzyrea I'd hope so, since it's got "awesome" in the name.
22:49 * Francesca makes a note to use font awesome on one of her old webpages
22:49 Francesca lol
22:49 wizzyrea you should do that, and then go through the opac and fix the icons everywhere to use font-awesome
22:50 Francesca I could do that yeah - how do I get to the opac though
22:50 tcohen can we focus on bug fixes? for a couple days?
22:51 tcohen we will then revamp the whole project
22:51 tcohen bag will take care
22:51 tcohen heh
22:51 Francesca I can do pretty stuff once bug fixing is done
22:51 eythian just rewrite it in java
22:51 bag :)
22:51 bag I’m looking at bugs :)  that’s my day
22:51 tcohen no no Francesca
22:51 tcohen the pretty stuff cannot wait!
22:51 Francesca yay!
22:51 wizzyrea ^
22:53 Francesca well let me set up font awesome on my own page first
22:53 Francesca then I shall turn my attention to the opac
22:53 wizzyrea yep, that's a sound plan
22:54 Francesca might not get started on the opac till tomorrow though - have choir stuff this afternoon
22:56 Francesca I'm looking at this font awesome stuff and wishing I'd known about it before
22:56 Francesca its just so awesome
22:56 dcook joined #koha
22:57 dcook Thanks for QAing that bug, cait :)
22:58 dcook You're a legend!
22:58 cait ... when is say it looked just easier than the sip bug next to it... will that destroy that reputation?
22:59 dcook Nah, still a legend :)
22:59 cait it's not quite true either
22:59 dcook That it was easier?
22:59 cait we have fallen for the opacsuppression trap a lot of times
22:59 cait i think it's a good fix
22:59 wizzyrea Francesca:[…]_bug.cgi?id=14915 looking at the patches for this might give you an idea of where to start or how to go about it.
22:59 huginn Bug 14915: enhancement, P5 - low, ---, kyle.m.hall, Pushed to Master , Use Font Awesome instead of Glyphicons for the staff intranet
23:00 cait it certainly was - i still need to get my sip test enviornment working again
23:01 Francesca wizzyrea: thanks I'll take a look at those
23:02 tcohen Francesca: a good strting point would trying  to make the main submit button on the staff interface match the rest of the interface's style
23:02 Francesca I can also take a look at that - just not right now as I have to do other stuff
23:03 wizzyrea yep, there's no rush really
23:03 Francesca so much fun! so much stuff to make pretty!
23:03 cait Francesca++:)
23:07 dcook cait: I'm glad you liked it :)
23:07 dcook barton|away: I hope that all my Zebra emails have been helpful ;)
23:07 dcook cait: It's unfortunate that the opacsuppression patch is needed, but hopefully that will reduce the number of headaches and support calls over that issue
23:08 bag nice job barton chili
23:12 barton|away dcook: they are 'helpful' much in the way that Mt. Everist is 'big'.
23:12 barton|away :-)
23:12 bag gonna run some updates on my computer wish me some lucks (hopefully I return :) )
23:13 cait fingerscrossed :)
23:13 dcook Last time I ran some updates on my laptop, I spent a fair while afterwards re-installing everything...
23:13 dcook So bonne chance!
23:13 * bag knocking on wood and all that
23:13 dcook barton|away: :p
23:14 dcook I think in the future it might be worthwhile to use the Zebra and YAZ from Indexdata's repositories rather than the Debian ones...
23:14 dcook The Debian maintainer for Zebra doesn't seem all that keen on maintaining it
23:14 dcook Perhaps one of us could take over maintaining
23:14 dcook it
23:14 dcook ...
23:14 barton|away hmm.
23:14 dcook I'm going to have a baby soon, so not it.
23:14 dcook :p
23:15 * dcook thinks tcohen is also a legend
23:15 dcook tcohen++
23:15 dcook cait++
23:15 barton|away hm. that's a bit more than I want to bite off.
23:15 dcook I want to do a lot of projects, but I know my limits...
23:15 barton|away I'd vote the same way :-)
23:16 tcohen dcook: i can build a debianzebramaintainerbox vagrant with all you need for maintaining it
23:16 cait wnickc++
23:16 barton|away by the way dcook, your email about zebra logging was a piece of awesome that I wasn't expecting.
23:16 tcohen easy
23:17 dcook tcohen: Well, I am intrigued by the technical aspects... but I think the political aspects would be the tougher part
23:18 dcook I don't necessarily want to commit to a role that I couldn't invest in
23:18 dcook I'm already overworked as it is... although of course right now I'm in IRC, but that's probably a testament to how much work I have at the moment...
23:18 dcook Need a few minutes to breathe between things
23:19 wnickc cait++ all the time
23:19 barton|away @dcook++ all the time, when it comes to zebra.
23:19 huginn barton|away: I'll give you the answer as soon as RDA is ready
23:20 tcohen zebra is ok, but it is no longer a profitable project for indexdata (it hasn't been for a while) so we need to move away from it, ASAP
23:20 tcohen it is a legacy project
23:20 tcohen for them
23:21 cait kind of a pity.... we finally start to figure out all th things
23:21 cait and all the mistakes we made...
23:22 tcohen we should've taken advantage of DOM a long ago!
23:22 tcohen opacsupression would be a candidate
23:22 tcohen calculating vailable items ,et
23:22 tcohen c
23:22 tcohen many things we do *after* we get the data from Zebra
23:23 tcohen I hope we do it right in ES
23:24 cait hope it doesn't take us as long to learn from past mistakes at least...
23:24 tcohen i think zebra will be around for another year and maybe more
23:25 cait i think probably more
23:25 tcohen so probably worth fixing a couple things hm
23:25 cait i'd say so
23:37 cait ... and when i wake up... someone has magically signed off Bug 14870        - Delete C4/ from System please? :)
23:38 cait the last missing pieces to get rid of C4::Dates for good...
23:38 * tcohen forgot to announce string freeze!
23:44 Francesca joined #koha
23:49 tcohen oh s*it
23:51 pianohacker oh spit
23:59 cait night all
23:59 wahanui goodnight cait. You'll be back.

| Channels | #koha index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | plain, newest first | summary