IRC log for #koha, 2013-03-06

All times shown according to UTC.

Time S Nick Message
00:11 NateC joined #koha
01:08 qu-bit joined #koha
01:09 nengard joined #koha
01:25 eythian @wunder nzwn
01:25 huginn eythian: The current temperature in Wellington, New Zealand is 22.0°C (2:00 PM NZDT on March 06, 2013). Conditions: Partly Cloudy. Humidity: 57%. Dew Point: 13.0°C. Pressure: 29.89 in 1012 hPa (Steady).
01:36 eythian it wasn't supposed to be that warm today
01:38 papa joined #koha
01:44 rambutan left #koha
02:39 nengard left #koha
03:21 edveal joined #koha
03:21 edveal left #koha
03:26 dcook joined #koha
03:27 dcook joined #koha
04:07 druthb joined #koha
04:07 druthb o/
04:07 cjh \o
04:38 dgl-library joined #koha
04:38 dgl-library Hi #koha
04:39 dgl-library Quick question: How do I restart Koha from the command line if it seems to have stopped or gotten stuck?
04:40 jcamins What do you mean stopped or gotten stuck?
04:40 dgl-library Not accessible from the web browser
04:41 dgl-library This happens every week or two.
04:41 jcamins That's your web server rather than Koha.
04:41 dgl-library ¿?
04:41 jcamins You can try restarting Apache with a command something like: sudo service apache2 restart
04:41 dgl-library ok, let me try that
04:42 jcamins Koha is just a series of scripts that reside on your server, and the web server software provides access to them via a web browser.
04:45 dgl-library Hmm. Koha is running on Debian inside Virtualbox on an Ubuntu host. It seems Koha is reachable within Debian and not outside it. If I restart the virtual Debian box, I'm fairly sure this problem will go away. Is this a Virtualbox networking bug?
04:46 jcamins Sounds like it.
04:46 jcamins So, even less to do with Koha than I thought.
04:46 dgl-library Yep.
05:05 dgl-library Thanks
05:05 dgl-library Bye for now #koha
05:23 wajasu bug 2499 hopefully helpful
05:23 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=2499 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, cnighswonger, NEW , Improvement on text wrapping algorithm needed
05:25 dcook wajasu: Did you write that patch?
05:26 wajasu yes.
05:26 dcook I take it that you attached it with git bz? It includes a sign-off line for you
05:26 dcook I'd suggest re-submitting without the sign-off line and then changing the Bugzilla status to "Needs Signoff"
05:27 wajasu its hard to change my pattern. i usually sign off.
05:27 dcook hehe
05:28 dcook Ah the joys of routine
05:29 wajasu can i just vi the patch, by deleting the line and replacing it?
05:30 dcook Yep, as far as I know
05:30 wajasu will do that.
05:46 wajasu i noticed bug 7062 might need to depend on 2499, 2499 is successful.
05:46 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=7062 major, P5 - low, ---, cnighswonger, NEW , barcode titles not truncating
05:56 cait joined #koha
06:14 dcook hey cait :)
06:15 cait hi dcook
06:15 cait :)
06:15 cait good morning #koha
06:19 dcook Ta, #koha!
06:20 dcook wajasu: thanks for following up with that patch :)
06:20 dcook wajasu++
07:05 syedsust joined #koha
07:05 syedsust hi, any there ? I need help
07:07 syedsust joined #koha
07:07 syedsust Hi, everybody
07:07 syedsust I have koha website problem
07:07 syedsust Please help me
07:19 mib_justin joined #koha
07:19 alohabot Hi mib_justin, Welcome to #koha. Feel free to use the '/nick yourname' command to choose a different name. alohabot, wahanui, and huginn are bots. If you need any help, just ask - there's usually someone around to help :)
07:21 mib_justin hello
07:21 mib_justin i just start using KOHA
07:23 mib_justin can any one help me how to download catalogue
07:36 alex_a bonjour
07:46 syedsust hello
07:46 wahanui hello, syedsust
07:48 mib_justin hello wahanui
07:49 mib_justin can i talk with u
07:49 mib_justin ?
07:49 reiveune joined #koha
07:50 reiveune hello
07:51 mib_justin yes
07:51 mib_justin reiveune
07:51 wahanui i guess reiveune is working for biblibre
07:51 mib_justin u use koha ?
07:52 paul_p joined #koha
07:52 reiveune mib_justin: yes
07:52 mib_justin wahanui i want know abt fornts in koha
07:52 wahanui mib_justin: sorry...
07:52 mib_justin u know where can i find offline catalogue
07:52 mib_justin for koha
07:53 reiveune mib_justin: wahanui is a bot . for your answer, no I don't know, sorry
07:53 mib_justin haha
07:53 cait left #koha
07:54 mib_justin reiveune ..are u human
07:54 mib_justin ?
07:54 reiveune yes
07:54 mib_justin how long u use koha
07:54 reiveune with a poor english level
07:54 christophe_c joined #koha
07:54 mib_justin no problem
07:54 mib_justin me too
07:54 christophe_c hello all
07:55 mib_justin can i know where u from
07:55 mib_justin ?
07:55 mib_justin hello chris
07:55 christophe_c hello mib_justin
07:55 reiveune christophe_c: salut, mib_justin me demande si on peux consulter catalogue Koha offlin ; tu sasi toi ?
07:55 reiveune s/sasi/sais/
07:55 mib_justin please in english
07:55 mib_justin ok ?
07:55 christophe_c mib_justin: yes you can
08:03 mib_cbyp9d joined #koha
08:03 alohabot Hi mib_cbyp9d, Welcome to #koha. Feel free to use the '/nick yourname' command to choose a different name. alohabot, wahanui, and huginn are bots. If you need any help, just ask - there's usually someone around to help :)
08:03 druthb_mobile joined #koha
08:05 christophe_c ok reiveune I have spoken with mib_ in MP
08:05 reiveune thanks christophe_c
08:06 lds joined #koha
08:06 sophie_m joined #koha
08:06 christophe_c but he have deconected
08:08 laurence joined #koha
08:28 gaetan_B joined #koha
08:28 gaetan_B hello
08:30 kf joined #koha
08:32 christophe_c hello kf
08:32 Herwig joined #koha
08:32 Herwig Morning Koha
08:34 * magnuse waves
08:38 kf hi christophe_c, Herwig, magnuse and #koha
08:39 magnuse kia ora kf
09:02 gerundio joined #koha
09:17 fredericd kf: Could you give me some info about BSZ?
09:17 kf fredericd: hi :) what do you want to know?
09:18 fredericd hi
09:53 Irma joined #koha
10:18 paul_p joined #koha
10:29 kf hm
10:29 kf so what's the difference between circcontrol and homeorholdinglibrary?
10:30 kf homeorholdingbranch
10:30 wahanui homeorholdingbranch is there to tell which of the two fields of items homebranch or holdingbranch is to be considered in circulation.
10:30 kf circcontrol?
10:30 wahanui circcontrol is set to...
10:32 kf thx wahanui :)
10:37 qu-bit joined #koha
10:54 magnuse @wunder marseille
10:54 huginn magnuse: The current temperature in Marseille, France is 13.0°C (11:30 AM CET on March 06, 2013). Conditions: Mostly Cloudy. Humidity: 63%. Dew Point: 6.0°C. Pressure: 29.42 in 996 hPa (Steady).
11:21 drojf joined #koha
11:22 drojf hi #koha
11:22 kf nice
11:22 kf hi drojf
11:23 arungit joined #koha
11:24 arungit Hi Community, I had deleted some bibliographic record and still its showing in the OPAC?
11:24 arungit could you please assist me in this regard?
11:29 christophe_c hello arungit you have zebra ?
11:30 drojf hi kf :)
11:34 arungit i have rebuild it
11:34 christophe_c arungit: after the deletion ?
11:36 arungit yes...
11:37 christophe_c humph with -z arungit ?
11:37 christophe_c it would be better to have the line in your crontab
11:38 christophe_c and in your browser have you cleaned the cache arungit ?
11:41 arungit KOHA_CONF=/etc/koha/koha-conf.xml PERL5LIB=/usr/share/koha/lib /usr/share/koha/bin/migrat​ion_tools/ -b -a -r -v
11:42 arungit KOHA_CONF=/etc/koha/koha-conf.xml PERL5LIB=/usr/share/koha/lib /usr/share/koha/bin/migrat​ion_tools/ -b -r -v -x
11:42 arungit i had cleaned the cache?
11:43 kf interesting?
11:43 wahanui interesting is sometimes good and sometimes bad
11:43 christophe_c maybe arungit you could check if your record is realy deleted in the DB an by the way in the zebraqueue table
11:44 arungit let me check
11:48 christophe_c and if in zebraqueue you see your biblionumber with done ==1 try to check  if the recordDelete was after the specialupdate for this bibnumber
11:49 arungit Christ its in a zebraque  showing operation = specialupdate
11:49 christophe_c if not .... the record was deleted then updated .... :-D
11:49 christophe_c we made a patch
11:49 christophe_c I can't remember but... a thing like that
11:50 arungit do i need to delete from zebraqueue?
11:51 christophe_c done value is arungit ?
11:52 christophe_c and have you a line for the same with recordDelete ?
11:53 christophe_c you have to put in crontab rebuild -z -b -v (if you want) and rebuild -z -a [-v]
12:07 arungit tried but still its showing
12:12 arungit I had deleted the records from zebraqueue
12:16 corsair__ joined #koha
12:18 mtate joined #koha
12:19 christophe_c try rebuild -where"biblionumber=yourbibnumber" arungit
12:21 halcyonCorsair joined #koha
12:24 khall joined #koha
12:27 laurence left #koha
12:28 eythian joined #koha
12:32 arungit christ, I have deleted the record without deleting the item, i think this is an issue it seems. But now problem is, i have not given a item number for deleted record
12:34 lds joined #koha
12:36 jwagner joined #koha
12:39 jcamins @later tell dcook Self-signoff lines are fine, there just has to be an additional sign-off before patches go to QA.
12:39 huginn jcamins: The operation succeeded.
12:39 kf jcamins: I have passed qaon the barcode search patch - hope it's ok for you :)
12:40 kf galen and martin signed off and I wouldn't test different than I already did for QA
12:40 jcamins Fine with me.
12:41 kf I had hoped so :)
12:41 kf espresso time!
12:43 drojf caffeine++
12:47 alex_a drogue++
12:47 alex_a oops
12:47 alex_a fallait pas le dire
12:47 magnuse huh, koha-remove does not remove the stuff in /var/lib/koha/ ?
12:51 jcamins magnuse: I did not realize that.
12:51 magnuse me neither
12:51 magnuse and after creating and removing quite a few sites the permissions in there are completely wonky
12:52 magnuse i'm repoprting it as a bug
12:53 jcamins Good idea.
12:55 kf magnuse++ :)
12:56 magnuse yay
12:58 magnuse Bug 9754
12:58 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=9754 normal, P5 - low, ---, koha-bugs, NEW , koha-remove does not remove the stuff in /var/lib/koha/
12:58 drojf yes there is something weird about remove. i tried to remove an instance and re-do it at the workshop and i could not recreate it because of errors due to some leftover stuff. we worked around it with a new instance and i forgot about it
12:59 francharb joined #koha
12:59 magnuse drojf: sounds like the same problem, yeah
13:01 magnuse the good news is i *might* have found a cure for Bug 9256
13:01 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=9256 critical, P5 - low, ---, magnus, NEW , Search is broken for 3.10 package-installs when marcflavour != marc21
13:01 jcamins Yay!
13:06 wizzyrea1 joined #koha
13:06 * magnuse waves at wizzyrea1
13:07 * magnuse thinks "waves to" sounds more friendly than "waves at"
13:10 qu-bit_ joined #koha
13:12 eythian joined #koha
13:16 oleonard joined #koha
13:17 oleonard Hi #koha
13:21 lds1 joined #koha
13:22 * oleonard wonders if kf got the OPACPopupAuthorsSearch to work
13:23 Dyrcona joined #koha
13:23 * magnuse crosses his fingers for bug 9256
13:23 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=9256 critical, P5 - low, ---, magnus, Needs Signoff , Search is broken for 3.10 package-installs when marcflavour != marc21
13:25 drojf magnuse: why should one use squeeze-dev to verify it does not work?
13:25 kf oleonard: couldn't retest - but I was wondering - I thought we didn't have additional authors in opac yet?
13:26 drojf (as opposed to just squeeze). did it work before?
13:26 oleonard We must have something, there is a screenshot to prove it
13:26 magnuse drojf: feel free to use squeeze - it worked before 3.10
13:27 magnuse it worked before Bug 3087 got pushed, to be precise
13:27 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=3087 enhancement, P3, ---, frederic, Pushed to Master , Z39.50 server returns usmarc format records for UNIMARC DB
13:28 wajasu joined #koha
13:29 * magnuse takes a break
13:29 * oleonard has been working for 13 minutes, needs a break too!
13:30 oleonard kf: It only appears if  OPACXSLTDetailsDisplay is off
13:30 kf oleonard: weird - I tried that
13:30 kf I will try again - thx for the hint :)
13:30 kf oleonard: could you reset your yui patch I failed? I will try again tonight
13:31 kf back to signed off?
13:31 oleonard The record I tested has an additional author in 700a
13:37 NateC joined #koha
13:40 Callender joined #koha
13:44 paul_p joined #koha
13:45 kf hi paul_p
13:53 Callender joined #koha
14:02 Mpeul joined #koha
14:04 kf hi Mpeul
14:06 nengard joined #koha
14:12 magnuse kia ora nengard - how did your package adventure go yesterday?
14:12 * magnuse could have read the backlog...
14:12 nengard turns out we wasted a lot of time :)
14:12 nengard all they're going to do is a fresh install, restore the old db and let Koha upgrade the db
14:12 nengard ta da - new clean working package
14:12 nengard or so i understand
14:13 nengard it was a LONG back and forth though
14:13 nengard with a lot of troubleshooting :)
14:13 nengard good for those who like that kind of thing to read through the logs
14:13 magnuse hehe
14:15 magnuse all is well that ends well...
14:21 tcohen joined #koha
14:31 nengard left #koha
14:44 oleonard My work on Bug 9652 seems to have expanded in scope a little... (in progress)
14:44 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=9652 trivial, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, NEW , Call number column on list view displays commas when no callnumbers exist
14:45 jcamins That looks nice.
14:46 oleonard It uses the XSLT display handling we added to the OPAC
14:50 phasefx joined #koha
15:02 BigRig joined #koha
15:04 talljoy joined #koha
15:06 lds joined #koha
15:17 maximep joined #koha
15:18 rambutan joined #koha
15:18 rambutan joined #koha
15:22 maximep left #koha
15:32 maximep joined #koha
15:32 wizzyrea joined #koha
15:40 paul_p joined #koha
15:41 tcohen joined #koha
16:15 paul_p joined #koha
16:25 paul_p joined #koha
16:45 drojf joined #koha
16:55 rambutan joined #koha
16:57 reiveune bye
16:57 reiveune left #koha
16:59 jcamins Oh, look.
16:59 jcamins Lists do not work under Plack.
17:01 drojf a shame
17:01 jcamins drojf: indeed.
17:02 kf sometimes it feels like nothing used to work under plack?
17:04 jcamins Almost nothing does.
17:06 oleonard When things don't work under Plack does that say something bad about the code or about Plack? Or is it neutral?
17:06 jcamins oleonard: the code.
17:06 wahanui the code is kept at
17:07 jcamins It means the code was relying on side-effects of the way Apache runs Perl scripts rather than actually doing everything that needs to be done.
17:14 melia joined #koha
17:36 tcohen is there some docs to read about to move to plack-compliance?
17:36 jcamins No.
17:36 jcamins Every time I find a problem, I report a bug.
17:36 tcohen its just try/error?
17:36 jcamins Often witha a fix.
17:36 jcamins *with a
17:36 jcamins Yup.
17:36 jcamins Not in this case, though, most likely, because I don't see the problem.
17:36 * tcohen feels alone in the dark
17:37 jcamins Plack?
17:37 wahanui Plack is a FastCGI thingy that works with Koha. See for more information.
17:37 jcamins ^^ that page explains how to set up Plack.
17:37 kf jcamins: I think the trick is to program thread safe? or something like thatß
17:37 jcamins No one other than me uses Plack heavily, it would seem.
17:38 jcamins kf: right, code has to be thread-safe, destroy unused module-level variables, and without side-effects.
17:39 * kf thinks exterminate... when reading destroy and should probably go home
17:39 jcamins Hehe.
17:39 * jcamins wiggles back and forth and says "EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!" in a robotic voice.
17:39 kf lol
17:40 * oleonard watches unused module-level variables scramble up the stairs
17:43 kf heh
17:43 kf bye all :)
17:43 kf left #koha
17:51 tcohen Plack::App::WrapApacheRec
17:51 jcamins But we don't support mod_perl either, so that wouldn't help much.
17:57 rambutan joined #koha
17:57 tcohen we need to fully decouple the business logic from the templates/view and stick with some framework for the controlling/routing stuff and migrate then migrate the templates there
17:58 jcamins That would be nice.
17:58 tcohen what happened with making several stuff OO?
17:58 jcamins Nothing.
17:58 wahanui nothing is a requirement, we have guidelines though
17:58 tcohen libsysguy was on that?
17:58 jcamins Not really.
17:58 jcamins There's a patch for adding DBIx::Class.
17:59 jcamins But I won't push it until nginx+Plack is a viable option out of the box.
17:59 jcamins And, of course, no one gets paid to do any projects of that sort.
18:00 libsysguy tcohen I gave up
18:00 * libsysguy waives the white towel
18:08 tcohen libsysguy: that's a pity
18:08 tcohen jcamins, I see no relation
18:08 jcamins tcohen: DBIx::Class is heavy.
18:08 jcamins Koha is already slow.
18:09 jcamins Add in DBIx::Class and it is likely to become *very* slow.
18:09 jcamins So we need a way to balance the weight added by DBIx::Class.
18:09 libsysguy DBIx::Class will definitely slow it down if koha still uses strictly CGI
18:09 tcohen moving to PSGI is key then
18:09 jcamins Right.
18:09 libsysguy you *need* persistence
18:09 jcamins That's why it's important that Plack work.
18:10 libsysguy indeed
18:11 tcohen (1) Make Koha work under PSGI (2-a) Choose to have or not a persistent layer (2-b) At least have a fully OO set of libs
18:11 tcohen an ORM will always be heavy
18:11 tcohen but we need (1) to at least consider it
18:12 jcamins Right.
18:12 libsysguy that one statement will take at least 4 release cycles to implement
18:12 jcamins And as for rewriting everything in Koha to be Object-Oriented and clean, no one is going to be paid to do it.
18:12 cait joined #koha
18:12 tcohen Object oriented how? Fully OO? Using Class::Accesor?
18:13 libsysguy really Moo would be a better option that Class::Accesor
18:13 jcamins I like Class::Accessor, but it doesn't matter.
18:13 jcamins The larger issue is that refactoring is not something we do well.
18:13 tcohen the problem is patches for that wont be accepted if we don't move PSGI
18:14 tcohen we are almost deadlocked
18:14 jcamins Moo or Class::Accessor could go in
18:14 jcamins And the PSGI fixes need to come regardless of anything else.
18:14 cait oook
18:14 cait what did I miss?
18:14 cait :)
18:14 libsysguy tcohen I had this debate with jcamins a long time ago
18:15 libsysguy refactor in cycles or just start over
18:15 tcohen i imagine libsysguy
18:15 jcamins tcohen is daydreaming about refactoring Koha's code to be object-oriented and fully Plack-compatible.
18:15 jcamins :)
18:15 libsysguy tcohen welcome to the dreamers corner
18:16 tcohen i want to rewrite Koha using some framework libsysguy puts over the table, actually
18:16 libsysguy catalyst?
18:16 wahanui i guess catalyst is a monster, lots of moving parts
18:16 libsysguy heh indeed it is wahanui
18:16 tcohen MOjo?
18:16 wahanui well, MOjo is a sticky trap
18:17 libsysguy heh indeed it is wahanui
18:17 wahanui i already had it that way, libsysguy.
18:17 tcohen Mojo behaves well with template-toolkit
18:17 tcohen (that's what I read ysterday)
18:18 jcamins Anything will work well with T::T. It's the rest of the code that's problematic.
18:18 libsysguy tcohen[…]st_and_its_moose/
18:18 libsysguy a question I posed to the reddit perl community
18:18 libsysguy its a pretty informative post imho
18:20 * tcohen reading
18:28 melia anybody around who wants to test an easy patch? bug 9014 works for us but not for cait, so I was thinking maybe we could get a third person to test it out and see how it goes. there's a video showing you how to test in Comment 29.
18:28 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=9014 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, kyle, Needs Signoff , Add time due to slips
18:30 cait melia: hm I think I had talked about this one with kyle on irc
18:30 melia oh did you guys figure out the problem?
18:30 cait because he was confused about what went wrong for me
18:30 cait I am trying to remember
18:30 cait gthe patch has a sign-off line from me - that is a bit weird if I didn't sign off
18:31 melia yeah, I was confused reading the notes on the bug report. I couldn't tell for sure if you'd signed off or not, but it's still marked "needs signoff"
18:32 cait hm seems like kyle did something, reattached the patch and switched form failed qa to needs sign-off
18:32 cait not sure if he fixed the issue
18:32 tcohen why is it needed a patch for that?
18:32 cait the problem was the today time on the slip
18:32 tcohen isnt' it a parameter one can just add?
18:32 cait tcohen: ?
18:33 cait ah the headline is wrong actually
18:33 cait it's about adding a datetime pref that formats hours differently
18:33 cait we should maybe correct htat
18:33 magnuse dancer?
18:33 wahanui hmmm... dancer is lighter but it doesn't have quite the backing that catalyst does
18:33 melia khall? trying to clear up confusion on bug 9014, if you're around
18:33 jcamins cait: looks like you uploaded a rebased version.
18:33 jcamins It has not been signed off.
18:33 cait jcamins: yep, I come toh this conclusion too
18:34 cait melia: it woudl be good if someone from a different timezone could test - i can also rerun my test, but not right now :)
18:34 cait have to go to the supermarket
18:34 melia ok happy shopping, cait! :)
18:34 tcohen i vote for dancer
18:35 magnuse libsysguy_lunch, tcohen, jcamins: could we consider crowdfunding? "we need to do some boring fixing, if you or your library could contribute $10/$100/$1000 it would really help" sort of thing. just a thought
18:35 jcamins magnuse: it's worth a try, but you'd have to find someone interested in doing the work who was able to quantify it.
18:36 khall I believe I used bz apply, then modified the patch and reuploaded it. That would explain cait's SO on it
18:36 melia so still needs SO then, if there are any willing testers about!
18:38 magnuse jcamins: true
18:55 tcohen magnuse, jcamins: crowdfunding for what exactly?
18:55 tcohen i am starting a fund raise to send me to Reno
18:56 jcamins tcohen: refactoring everything.
18:57 rambutan joined #koha
18:58 tcohen got it
18:58 magnuse not necessarily everything at once, though
18:58 tcohen how whould we manage signing-off/acceptance?
18:59 magnuse the usual way?
18:59 tcohen the problem is priority
19:00 jcamins And backlog length.
19:00 cait_afk melia: I think someone in another timezone - with daylight savings would be good
19:01 cait_afk melia: the time was 1 hour off for me It hink
19:01 tcohen consider I refactor some C4 lib into the Koha namespace making it fully OO
19:01 melia ah daylight savings, yes
19:01 melia our time is about to change here… hhm I think this weekend, maybe?
19:01 tcohen how many rebases would I do before my head blows?
19:02 magnuse well, is that an arguement against trying to improve anything?
19:03 * cait_afk starts making dinner
19:03 cait_afk tcohen: I think breaking up into small pieces is the art
19:03 cait_afk and tests :)
19:03 cait_afk automated testing I mean
19:03 tcohen i'm just negotiating magnuse
19:03 rambutan Just FYI, I'm finding the discussion quite interesting.
19:04 magnuse i'm adding it to the agenda for the next irc meeting :-)
19:04 magnuse tcohen: me too ;-)
19:04 tcohen u rock magnuse
19:05 tcohen cait_afk: testing is what you are doing or were talking about conditions for refactoring?
19:08 magnuse[…]wdfunding_for_big.2C_boring_improvements.3F
19:08 magnuse just to maybe set the ball rolling, feel free to edit
19:08 * magnuse gotta run
19:12 tcohen bye magnuse
19:13 tcohen i must say, i don't hate refactoring
19:15 jcamins tcohen: that's because you haven't done it enough. :P
19:16 tcohen probably jcamins
19:17 kathryn joined #koha
19:19 Mibnus joined #koha
19:21 gerundio joined #koha
19:31 melia lol
19:35 libsysguy mmm scones
19:36 tcohen scones++
19:36 libsysguy indeed
19:37 libsysguy tcohen and headway on the refactor?
19:37 libsysguy done yet?
19:37 tcohen the refactoring?
19:37 wahanui well, the refactoring is not rewriting it is abstracting.
19:38 jcamins wahanui: true only in part.
19:38 wahanui jcamins: sorry...
19:38 libsysguy yeah before I left weren't you an magnuse going to refactor the code base
19:38 libsysguy I was hoping it'd be done by the time I got back from lunch
19:38 libsysguy :p
19:39 libsysguy I don't think there are enough patches to QA
19:39 libsysguy so I was hoping to have something to tinker with HAHA
19:39 * libsysguy is sad there is no font for sarcasm
19:39 tcohen i'll start soon, hope you qa those patches :-P
19:41 melia joined #koha
19:43 mib_iy84k7 joined #koha
19:43 alohabot Hi mib_iy84k7, Welcome to #koha. Feel free to use the '/nick yourname' command to choose a different name. alohabot, wahanui, and huginn are bots. If you need any help, just ask - there's usually someone around to help :)
19:43 mib_iy84k7 hello
19:43 oleonard When I saw this message I heard it in Lucy Liu's robotic voice
19:43 oleonard
19:43 oleonard (
19:45 mib_iy84k7 I'm new to the koha community, and was just wondering if anyone else was having problems with the RSS feed on the wordpress part of the site...
19:46 oleonard What kind of problem erosen?
19:46 erosen it isn't loading the RSS feed with the postings...I dont know if its a problem on my end or if the site is down
19:47 oleonard
19:47 oleonard That looks to me like it has lots of content
19:48 erosen its actually the wordpress part of the site, not the announcements...I was hoping to put up a posting about a migration project I'm working on...
19:48 erosen the part where you log in to read it...
19:49 erosen At least I assumed there was a community bulletinboard part where you could post you know if there's a discussion group somewhere else,(perhaps//)
19:50 oleonard mailing lists?
19:50 wahanui mailing lists are at[…]ha-mailing-lists/
19:50 edveal joined #koha
19:51 erosen thanks, that was what I was looking for...
19:51 erosen just couldn't find it
19:52 cait_afk erosen: Koha or Koha-devel are probably the ones you want - please don't cross post :)
19:55 erosen THANKS!
19:58 wizzyrea also, no, there is not a community bulletin board, I think that's why we have the newsletter
19:58 wizzyrea and/or the mailing lists.
19:58 jcamins Mailing lists, mostly.
19:58 oleonard And the Google Group :P
19:58 jcamins lol
19:58 wizzyrea group.
19:59 oleonard And the vBulletin board
20:09 melia jcamins: may I ask the status of bug 5079? you said in Comment 46 that you would push it if there were no objections. has it been pushed, or is it going to be?
20:09 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=5079 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, elliott, Signed Off , Make display of shelving location and call number in XSLT results controlled by sysprefs
20:09 libsysguy man that one is old
20:10 melia or wait - is it waiting for QA again? I can't tell what's going on there!
20:13 wizzyrea why on earth do we allow people to uncheck mandatory sample data?
20:13 wizzyrea i'm sure there's a very good reason (tm)
20:13 oleonard Is it 'sample' if it's mandatory?
20:13 jcamins melia: it needed another sign off, and I didn't notice that Ed had provided it.
20:14 melia ah ok. good thing I asked, then! :)
20:14 wizzyrea it's "other data" - Mandatory
20:14 wizzyrea but stuff like "standard authority types"
20:14 wizzyrea and the default framework?!
20:14 wahanui the default framework is ok in this case
20:14 wizzyrea forget the default framework
20:14 wahanui wizzyrea: I forgot default framework
20:15 wizzyrea user permissions?!
20:15 wizzyrea sorry it's a boggly kind of morning.
20:15 jcamins melia: thanks.
20:16 jcamins The number of bugs in NSO/SO has gotten to the point that I can't follow them at all.
20:16 melia I know. there are oodles!
20:16 jcamins Which doesn't stop me trying... it just means I fail...
20:16 wizzyrea :/
20:16 wizzyrea "less optimal"
20:18 Morthland joined #koha
20:18 * jcamins prefers the phrase "less than optimal."
20:18 Morthland I am trying to host a PDF off of my Koha instance
20:19 Morthland I receive the error 500.
20:19 melia left #koha
20:19 wizzyrea where are you keeping it?
20:20 Morthland well, originally I had it in /koha/opac/ooc,
20:20 Morthland but I moved it to /koha/opac/cgi-bin/koha/ooc
20:20 Morthland no luck.
20:20 wizzyrea yea, ok what you should do
20:20 wizzyrea is make a folder in /var/www/files and make sure your koha user can read it
20:20 wizzyrea and host stuff there.
20:21 wizzyrea or make a folder /var/www/files
20:21 wizzyrea (files probably doesn't exist)
20:22 Morthland How would I link to that? ../../../../../var/www/files?
20:22 wizzyrea http://library.url/files/file.pdf
20:22 jcamins You may need to add a line to your Apache config too.
20:22 jcamins I don't remember.
20:23 wizzyrea yea I was just pondering that -
20:23 trea joined #koha
20:23 wizzyrea maybe you must have the default site enabled? which allows access to /var/www
20:23 wizzyrea yes, that must be it
20:24 jcamins wizzyrea: nah, it depends how you installed Koha.
20:24 jcamins Or when.
20:24 Morthland I installed from source
20:24 Morthland My koha is in /usr/share
20:24 jcamins At some point there was an Apache config that pointed to /var/www in addition to /usr/share/koha
20:25 jcamins What you want to do is add this line to your Apache config: Alias /files "/var/www/files"
20:25 Morthland right.
20:25 jcamins That'll go in both VirtualHosts.
20:25 wizzyrea ^ that
20:27 trea joined #koha
20:29 Morthland not scriptalias?
20:30 jcamins No, definitely not.
20:32 Morthland I just get 404.
20:37 cjh Morthland: have you restarted apache after making those changes?
20:38 Morthland yes.
20:38 cjh wouldnt the apache user have to have read access to /var/www, not the koha user?
20:38 cjh Morthland: did you modify the permissions for /var/www /
20:38 wizzyrea yes, actually you're right, I was thinking of the context of mpm-itk
20:38 jcamins cjh: No, Koha user- itk separates users.
20:38 wizzyrea ok never mind then.
20:39 jcamins Wait... does Koha not use itk by default?
20:39 Morthland just for /var/files/ooc
20:39 wizzyrea the packages does
20:39 cjh ahh the vhost definitions have assignuserid, didnt see that.
20:39 cjh at least in packages they do.
20:39 wizzyrea do
20:39 wizzyrea gah sorry grammar fail
20:39 Morthland Should I change the owner?
20:39 jcamins Morthland: the directory should be /var/files/ooc
20:40 jcamins */var/www/files/ooc
20:40 jcamins Sorry.
20:40 jcamins I was reading what you typed while I typed the correction.
20:40 cjh Morthland: you will need to make /var/www/files readable and execute for the koha user that you mention inside your apache config.
20:40 wizzyrea (if you mention one)
20:41 Morthland I haven't mentioned one that I know of.
20:41 Morthland sorry, yes, it is in var/www/files/ooc
20:43 wizzyrea and who owns ooc?
20:43 wizzyrea and what group?
20:43 wahanui group is there
20:43 wizzyrea forget group
20:43 wahanui wizzyrea: I forgot group
20:43 cjh Morthland: if your look in your /etc/apache2/sites-enable/ for your apache2 file, there may be a line like "AssignUserID mykoha-koha mykoha-koha" mykoha-koha is your koha user.
20:43 Morthland out of copyright. We have a pretty substantial bibliacl studies library.
20:43 wizzyrea he installed from source
20:43 Morthland Do I make this the owner of the folder?
20:43 wizzyrea no I meant the directory,
20:46 Morthland my file access keeps resetting to ---
20:46 cjh how are you modifying it?
20:47 Morthland right click, properties, permissions
20:48 cjh who currently owns the folder? and what user are you doing this as?
20:48 Morthland as root,
20:48 Morthland root owns it.
20:50 cait_afk libsysguy++
20:51 libsysguy 0_0
20:51 libsysguy what did I do?
20:53 Morthland I have to run. I'll let yall know how it comes.
20:53 Morthland Grace and Peace!
20:57 edveal joined #koha
21:16 oleonard Later #koha
21:18 trea joined #koha
21:23 melia joined #koha
21:24 cait_afk oleonard++
21:24 * cait_afk goes back to baking cake
21:25 rambutan joined #koha
21:43 rangi @wunder perth,wa
21:43 huginn rangi: Error: No such location could be found.
21:43 rangi @wunder perth australia
21:43 huginn rangi: The current temperature in Perth, Western Australia is 18.0°C (5:00 AM WST on March 07, 2013). Conditions: Clear. Humidity: 73%. Dew Point: 13.0°C. Pressure: 30.04 in 1017 hPa (Rising).
21:43 rangi sposta be 34  today
21:44 cjh oh wow
21:44 cjh I'm not sure I would survive that.
21:45 * wizzyrea thinks "that's the summer I'm used to"
21:45 cait ew
21:47 rangi plus the crows sound like retarded monkeys here
21:47 rangi wtf is wrong with all the birds in australia
21:47 rangi they all sound utterly ridiculous
21:47 cjh heh
21:47 wizzyrea are you sure you don't just live near the zoo?
21:47 * wizzyrea has that problem every morning
21:48 wizzyrea not sure what the monkeys are doing, but they are EXCITED.
21:48 rangi nope but there are trees full of cockatoos
21:48 wizzyrea ok yea you win.
21:48 rangi and a retarded monkey crow
21:48 rangi outside somewhere
21:50 rangi[…]09419758535729153
21:50 cjh cockatoos are awesome
21:50 cjh although if they are wild they are probably loud..
21:51 rangi they are
21:51 rangi kookabura = sounds mental
21:51 cjh what isn't there to like:[…]atoo-pictures.jpg
21:51 rangi like a laughing serial killer
21:53 wizzyrea cjh have you seen RIO?
21:53 cjh yeah :(
21:53 wizzyrea birds are cute, but that one is a bad guy.
21:54 rangi you know who does his voice eh?
21:54 wizzyrea i sure do
21:56 rangi which reminds me wizzyrea you need to see eagle vs shark
21:56 wizzyrea i will have to google that
21:57 eythian oh, that's a good movie
21:57 rangi i have the dvd ill bring it to work
21:58 wizzyrea :D
22:03 melia joined #koha
22:04 dcook joined #koha
22:05 dcook morning #koha
22:13 BigRig_ joined #koha
22:14 BigRig joined #koha
22:36 eythian hi
22:36 rambutan hi
22:37 * cait waves
22:45 papa joined #koha
22:47 dcook Bob Elgie's message on Koha General is pretty interesting. It is rather annoying to clone and re-position subfields in Cataloguing :/
22:48 dcook I wonder how hard it would be to allow drag 'n drop for repositioning..
22:49 dcook Or to clone pairs of subfields together..
22:54 rangi[…]e-duel-goes-viral
22:54 rangi dcook: a lot harder than you think
22:54 dcook hehe
22:55 dcook I didn't know you could read my mind, rangi :p
22:55 rangi hehe
22:55 rangi the way that page is generated and saved, would make it very tricky
22:56 rangi making a better cataloguing page would be probably easier
22:56 dcook Both those thoughts have been crossing my mind these past couple of minutes
22:56 dcook Cataloguing is a tough one. Personally, I really did like cataloguing interface in Horizon
22:57 rangi heres how id do it
22:57 dcook You could catalogue an entire record quite quickly without taking your hands off the keyboard
22:57 rangi look at the api in svc/
22:57 rangi thats what marcedit is hooking into
22:57 rangi its a restful (ish) api
22:57 rangi that you can throw xml at
22:57 rangi and use that to save your record
22:58 rangi and then do the editing etc all client side
22:58 rangi id be inclined to use localstorage and html5
22:59 rangi will be a zillion times faster
22:59 rangi and, is bascially a firefoxOS app too
22:59 rangi :)
23:00 cait inspiring :)
23:00 rangi but yeah if you had client side stuff to manipulate the marcxml
23:00 rangi then all you need to do is post it to the svc/ api
23:00 rangi and it gets saved
23:00 * rangi hopes that makes sense
23:01 melia a library has asked if it would cause any problems within Koha if they re-use barcodes from deleted items. anybody have opinions on that?
23:01 dcook I certainly like the concept. Now the little hamsters in my brain are trying to figure out how to make it, rangi :p
23:01 rangi it will
23:01 rangi (cause problems melia)
23:01 melia I figured. b/c the barcode is still stored in deleteditems, right?
23:02 rangi but only when they try to delete the new item
23:02 rangi yes
23:02 melia ok I got you. thanks rangi!
23:02 sophie_m left #koha
23:03 wizzyrea but I think that's a bug
23:03 wizzyrea (even though barcodes are cheap)
23:04 rangi whats a bug?
23:04 wahanui rumour has it a bug is it stores biblionumber not itemnumber
23:04 wizzyrea reusing barcodes causes a problem
23:04 rangi the only way round it is to lose the ability to resurrect deleted items
23:04 rangi which is a bigger bug :)
23:04 wizzyrea or have an option to "reuse barcodes"
23:05 rangi nope that would lose it
23:05 wizzyrea whereby you nuke out the barcode.
23:05 rangi exactly
23:05 wizzyrea (but only that)
23:05 wizzyrea then you can resurrect the item, and give it a new (old) barcode
23:05 wizzyrea unless my logic is flawed there somehow.
23:05 rangi you cant find it
23:05 rangi once you nuke the barcode
23:06 rangi so if you nuke barcode on delete, how do you ever find it to undelete?
23:06 wizzyrea append an identifier "barcode-deleted"
23:07 rangi how about if you have 500000 of those
23:07 rangi read them all?
23:07 wizzyrea it'd get pretty mad
23:07 wizzyrea ;)
23:07 wizzyrea barcode + itemnumber
23:07 rangi its the only human identifable part of an item really
23:07 rangi yeah but how would hte librarian know the itemnumber
23:08 wizzyrea they wouldnt :P but they wouldn't have to
23:08 wizzyrea because when you are resurrecting, the itemnumber is ignored
23:08 wizzyrea but it does keep it unique
23:08 cait the field is limited in size
23:09 cait I am not sure reusing barcodes really makes sense, the only use case I can think of is non-repogrammable rfid tags
23:09 wizzyrea it doesn't make sense
23:09 wizzyrea it's a 123
23:09 wizzyrea buy more barcodes, it's cheap
23:09 rangi wizzyrea: they cant find it if it has no barcode and they dont know the itemnumber
23:09 wizzyrea but people will still see 5c as an expense
23:09 cait deelte the barcode before deleting the item
23:09 cait *shrug*
23:09 cait if you want to reuse
23:09 rangi no point
23:09 rangi if you delee the barcode
23:10 rangi the deleteditems table is useless
23:10 rangi so just dont save to it
23:10 rangi if you want to reuse barcode
23:10 wizzyrea yea, might as well not even do that
23:10 rangi nuking barcodes makes the table pointless
23:10 cait hm in part
23:10 cait here we also have inventory numbers
23:10 wizzyrea naw you can't find a specific item without the barcode, unless you know the itemnumber
23:10 cait so losing the barcode would not be so bad, the inventory numberis normally written or stamped into the book
23:10 wizzyrea but why would you know the itemnumber
23:11 rangi exactly
23:11 edveal left #koha
23:11 cait but I admit that  inventory numbers are an exception ..
23:11 wizzyrea but I do think that appending the itemnumber to the barcode could be a way round this - at least then you could get a list out of all items that HAD that barcode.
23:12 rangi its an option
23:12 wizzyrea sure you couldn't necessarily tell which one (biblionumber is in there too though)
23:12 wizzyrea *was the one that you wanted (didn't finish my thought there)
23:12 cait wizzyrea: wouldn't it be enough to add just a d- or something?
23:12 wizzyrea (rather interrupted myself)
23:12 rangi but i think probably if you want to reuse, you should just not save the deleted item
23:12 cait ah... not for multiple reuses
23:12 * cait is quiet
23:13 cait rangi: I think libraries here have to keep track of every item they delete
23:13 rangi cos otherwise the deleteditem table and the items table become different
23:13 rangi in schema
23:13 cait so it's actually a very useful feature for more than resurrecting :)
23:13 rangi and that is dangerous
23:13 * cait waves good night
23:13 cait left #koha
23:14 wizzyrea explain
23:14 wizzyrea (please)
23:14 rangi cos all the routines that delete now have to be changed to do some extra logic, undelete is also no longer a select into
23:15 wizzyrea where is undelete?
23:15 * dcook is curious about undelete as well
23:16 wizzyrea or is that one of the lost functions
23:16 rangi not in koha, it got killed round 3.0 the code is still there, but you can do it trivially easily from mysql
23:16 rangi select * from deleteditems where barcode='fish' into items (not the right syntax but something like that)
23:17 dcook Doesn't seem very user-friendly though
23:17 wizzyrea no, we blame he-who-shall-not-be-named
23:17 dcook Unless the librarian is passing a list of barcodes to the systems person/folk
23:17 rangi you could resurrect the undelete if you want, its still all there in code
23:17 rangi dcook: thats usually the safest/best way
23:17 rangi even if the gui option existed
23:18 rangi ok i better get up and start getting ready for breakfast
23:18 dcook O_o
23:18 rangi stupid timezones
23:18 * wizzyrea thinks it's time for lunch
23:18 dcook Ahh
23:18 dcook Perth
23:18 dcook Right?
23:18 rangi yep
23:19 dcook Have fun. I think it's late enough in the morning that I need to switch from sweet to savoury..
23:19 * dcook looks for his cheese and onion scones
23:49 NateC joined #koha
23:53 rambutan left #koha

| Channels | #koha index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | plain, newest first | summary