IRC log for #koha, 2012-07-12

All times shown according to UTC.

Time S Nick Message
00:00 drojf rangi: what would be a good example function to look at for putting the code into a module and getting it working from the template then?
00:03 rangi well here's waht i would do
00:03 rangi in
00:04 rangi after if ( C4::Context->preference("HTML5MediaEnabled") ) {
00:04 rangi $template = populate_html5($template);
00:04 rangi }
00:04 rangi and the in a module somewhere
00:05 rangi sub populate_html5 {
00:05 rangi my $template = shift;
00:05 rangi do all that stuff
00:05 rangi return $template;
00:05 rangi }
00:05 rangi now youre template variable in has all the params for html5 set
00:05 rangi your even
00:06 rangi that make sense?
00:06 drojf that does not sound very complicated
00:06 drojf yes
00:06 rangi nope
00:06 drojf i will try that, thanks
00:06 rangi cool
00:06 drojf but now it's bedtime. 2am again :/
00:06 drojf good night
00:06 rangi sleep well
00:07 drojf thanks :)
00:29 brylie joined #koha
00:56 jenkins_koha Project Koha_3.8.x build #94: SUCCESS in 1 hr 1 min: http://jenkins.koha-community.[…]ob/Koha_3.8.x/94/
00:56 jenkins_koha robin: Bug 8235 - allow a whitelist of modules that aren't in Debian
00:56 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=8235 minor, P5 - low, ---, robin, Pushed to Master , Packaging scripts get upset with non-Debian perl modules
01:00 brylie joined #koha
01:39 dcook joined #koha
01:43 kathryn joined #koha
01:56 ago43 joined #koha
01:56 melia left #koha
02:46 dcook If a hold is placed for a Not For Loan item (i.e. the holds policy has been over-ridden) and the item is checked in, no Hold found dialog appears. Instead, it seems says "Item not checked out".
02:47 dcook I'm not certain how common this workflow would be, but it has been pointed out by a librarian and it does seem inconsistent with regular hold behaviour.
02:47 dcook Am I missing something or is this a genuine bug?
02:48 jcamins_away That's the correct behavior.
02:48 jcamins_away Otherwise, it would notify for holds if someone dropped a reference copy of a popular book in the return slot.
02:48 dcook If there were a hold on it
02:49 jcamins_away Right.
02:49 dcook Which there could be, if the librarians decide to allow a hold on that item
02:49 jcamins_away If there were not a hold on it, it wouldn't be a problem, but we wouldn't expect any sort of notification. ;)
02:50 dcook Ordinarily
02:51 dcook I suppose the constant putting of holds on a reference item is seen as quite exceptional
02:51 jcamins_away Or if there are two copies of the book, one of which is not for loan and one of which is.
02:51 jcamins_away (this is a very common configuration, at least here in the States)
02:52 jcamins_away Yes.
02:52 jcamins_away If you're putting holds specifically on reference books, that's probably a sign that you have your circulation rules configured wrong.
02:52 dcook I was just thinking that
02:52 jcamins_away (where wrong = not the way you want them to work)
02:52 dcook I bet that's exactly what's happening
02:53 jcamins_away Explain to them (again, probably;) that itemtype != genre, it's just one of the criteria used for circ rules.
02:53 dcook We don't have many academic clients, but for my own does Koha handle "reserve"/course materials
02:53 jcamins_away And, having imparted that wisdom (?) I think I'll get some sleep.
02:53 jcamins_away It doesn't.
02:53 dcook I suppose that would be an item type..
02:53 jcamins_away Yup.
02:54 dcook Hehe, thanks jcamins
02:54 dcook Get some rest!
02:54 jcamins_away You just set the circ rules to match how you think reserves should work, and you're done.
02:54 jcamins_away Good night. (morning for you, I guess)
02:55 mib_uk4e8d joined #koha
02:55 dcook Nearly 1pm. Time for some lunch :D
02:55 dcook 'night
03:03 mtj hmm, any idea about this error....
03:03 mtj $ perl -c  Koha/SearchEngine/Zebra/
03:03 mtj Can't locate Data/SearchEngine/ in @INC (@INC contains: /home/mason/git/head /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.14.2 /usr/local/share/perl/5.14.2 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.14 /usr/share/perl/5.14 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at Koha/SearchEngine/Zebra/ line 5.
03:03 mtj BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Koha/SearchEngine/Zebra/ line 5.
03:04 mtj looks like Koha/SearchEngine/Zebra/ refers to a file that does not exist...
03:04 mtj namely ->  Data/SearchEngine/
03:07 dcook Hmm
03:13 dcook I know very little about perl modules themselves, but perl -c  Koha/SearchEngine/ works, despite saying "extends 'Data::SearchEngine::Zebra';"
03:14 mtj my hunch its a non-koha perl module, written by biblibre - that hasnt been published?
03:18 dcook Mmm, I'm not sure
03:19 mtj logged bug 8423 :)
03:19 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=8423 blocker, P5 - low, ---, gmcharlt, NEW , Koha/SearchEngine/Zebra/ fails 'perl -c' test
03:20 dcook Do you know hdl?
03:20 wahanui well, hdl is saying, who when where, how.
03:20 dcook Ahh, I see
03:21 dcook http://meetings.koha-community[…]-07-20.00.log.txt
03:23 * dcook returns to what he was actually doing, lol
03:25 mtj meh, the error is already reported
03:26 mtj in bug 8233
03:26 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=8233 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart, ASSIGNED , New search engine layer - introduce solr without breaking anything else
03:28 dcook I like the "without breaking anything else" bit :p
03:29 dcook Now if only I could stop finding/fixing bugs related to old versions of IE...
03:29 mtj ah, theres an easy fix for that... ;)
03:30 dcook It's only 1:30pm here. It's a bit early...
03:35 dcook And now I can't reproduce the behaviour that was just happening a few minutes ago...:S
03:41 dcook Hmm...not IE specific at all, but very sporadic...:S
03:46 Amit_Gupta joined #koha
03:46 Amit_Gupta hi koha
03:47 dcook hi Amit :)
03:48 Amit_Gupta heya dcook
03:50 cait joined #koha
03:53 Amit_Gupta heya cait
03:53 cait hi Amit_Gupta
04:21 Amit_Gupta seems not working
04:23 bshum joined #koha
04:29 mtj Amit_Gupta:  there is a mirror-repo here ->
04:33 mbalmer joined #koha
05:27 druthb joined #koha
05:51 stuartyeates joined #koha
05:52 sophie_m joined #koha
05:53 sophie_m joined #koha
05:53 sophie_m left #koha
05:55 mbalmer joined #koha
05:58 * dcook_away glares at Acquisitions
05:59 dcook Does anyone actually use Acquisitions to keep track of finances? The way it handles tax makes zero sense.
05:59 dcook No pun intended..
05:59 cait heh
05:59 cait there is a bug waiting for sign off
05:59 cait I think you would make some people very happy for looking into it
05:59 dcook 5335?
05:59 wahanui i think 5335 is conflicting too :(
06:00 cait bug 5335
06:00 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=5335 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart, Needs Signoff , More granular VAT
06:00 dcook *shudder8
06:00 cait exactly that yes
06:00 cait yeah it's big
06:00 cait but it would be good to get started on it
06:00 cait especially because taxes might work differently in different countries
06:00 cait so we should get some opinions if it covers everything correctly
06:01 dcook True enough
06:02 dcook I think I might be missing a few angles on it as well..
06:02 cait I am not sure where to start with it too...
06:02 cait maybe a wiki page with tests?
06:02 dcook I've had librarians tell me that they indicate that they want no tax applies but that it is still being applied
06:02 dcook But I don't even see how you would do that aside from the gist syspref :S
06:02 cait I always suspected problems in there...
06:02 rangi dcook: the vendor
06:02 cait but we didn't get reports from a library so far
06:03 cait dcook: yep - the vendor
06:03 rangi you have 2 radio buttons
06:03 dcook Mmm, nice one rangi
06:03 rangi invoice includes tax
06:03 cait and ideally it would beon order line level too - because we have different taxes fr different type of media...
06:03 rangi listprice includes tax
06:03 dcook Although...
06:03 cait I think the vat one might enable that
06:03 rangi yep we did that for hlt im pretty sure cjh submitted it
06:03 rangi and discount on orderline
06:04 cait hm, I think there was a problem with one of his patches, becaue hlt does not have to pay tax
06:04 cait the whole tax thing is a bit scary to me
06:04 cait because I am not 100% sure how we want it to work
06:04 cait and hat makes testing nearly impossible
06:06 dcook Exactly
06:08 cait but that way... it just sits there
06:08 cait which is also not good
06:08 wahanui okay, cait.
06:08 cait lol
06:08 cait forget which is
06:08 cait we should at least start discussion to figure out how it should work
06:08 cait so we can start testing
06:09 rangi and test plans
06:09 cait correct
06:09 rangi and specs of how it was designed to work
06:09 cait francharb put something on the wiki I think
06:09 cait and send notes about the terms
06:09 cait I think he would be happy to answer questions too
06:09 rangi yup
06:09 rangi linking all that in would be good if you can find it
06:10 cait I think we might need a table
06:10 cait with math
06:10 cait *shudder*
06:10 cait for the different settings in the vendor
06:10 cait how should the price be calculated for each
06:10 dcook How the gist syspref figures in as well
06:11 rangi gist is the default
06:11 cait ^^
06:11 cait vendor overwrites it
06:11 rangi you can override it on per vendor basis
06:11 cait and oderline should overwrite vendor later (I think)
06:11 rangi eg amazon, you dont pay gst on
06:11 cait hm we do
06:11 rangi we dont
06:11 cait yeah, that's exactly what I meant earlier...
06:11 rangi thats why its on the vendor level
06:11 cait have to be careful with that
06:12 cait we have different taxes for electronic media, newspapers and books
06:12 dcook This is the kind of thing that would be good to document
06:12 rangi we dont pay gst on imported goods under a certain cost
06:12 rangi the only way to do it is to set that up on a per vendor basis
06:13 rangi you can not have any sane system that works for all
06:13 dcook Question...
06:13 wahanui i heard question was "What is the meaning of life, the universe and everything?"
06:13 cait so we need an insane system? ;)
06:13 rangi no
06:13 rangi we need to stop trying
06:13 rangi and realise that you need a lot of configuration options
06:13 * dcook O_o
06:14 cait ok, configuration
06:14 wahanui somebody said configuration was not so hard
06:14 rangi before it can work for everyone
06:14 rangi also, hlt have never failed an audit in 12 years, lets not make next year the first
06:14 rangi ie, DONT BREAK IT MORE
06:14 rangi :)
06:14 cait yeah, that would be bad :(
06:15 cait but i really think it does some wonky things currently that shoudl be fixed
06:15 cait and ideally in a way that at least it kinda works the same on all pages
06:15 cait because right now it's just very confusing
06:15 rangi one persons wonky is another persons working exactly how it should
06:15 rangi assuming somethign is broken and fixing it, is how we got here
06:15 cait can we agree on consistency? :)
06:15 rangi no
06:15 rangi thats the point
06:16 rangi we can agree on it needs to work inconsistently
06:16 cait I meant like the list price being calculated for the same settings the same on dfferentpages
06:16 rangi and that configuration should allow you to do that
06:16 cait that kind of consistency
06:17 cait there was a spreadsheet from jransom on the wiki on a bug
06:17 dcook Mmm, I've been of the same mind as cait
06:17 cait for taxes
06:17 cait where she reported it worked wrong
06:17 dcook Calculations seem to vary from page to page :S
06:17 cait I really didn't understand it
06:17 cait to me it looked all wrong
06:17 cait *sigh*
06:17 cait I really think it needs some work currently - but not sure where to start!
06:20 alex_a1 joined #koha
06:23 alex_a1 bonjour
06:24 dcook bonjour alex_a1
06:24 brylie_ joined #koha
06:24 cait hi alex_a
06:25 rangi hi alex_a1
06:25 brylie_ joined #koha
06:28 * rangi goes to eat bbiab
06:29 alex_a1 hi rangi and cait
06:36 reiveune joined #koha
06:36 reiveune hello
06:37 Amit_Gupta heya alex_a1
06:42 marcelr joined #koha
06:42 marcelr good morning #koha
06:45 cait hi marcelr :)
06:49 cait of course... when I have to get to work it starts raining
06:49 cait ...
06:49 cait bbl :)
06:49 cait left #koha
06:49 dcook ttyl :)
06:51 laurence joined #koha
06:53 gaetan_B joined #koha
06:53 gaetan_B hello :)
06:53 dcook hey gaetan_B :)
06:59 francharb joined #koha
07:01 francharb hello #koha
07:02 rangi back
07:04 dcook wb rangi
07:04 rangi thanks
07:06 rangi dcook: wanna learn about git bisect?
07:08 rangi it will help you track down the exact commit that is causing the behaviour
07:08 dcook Sure. That would be fab
07:08 dcook P.S. I was going to say that before you mentioned the sweet part ;)
07:09 rangi :)
07:10 rangi ok, so what you do is checkout the commit where it worked
07:10 asaurat joined #koha
07:11 rangi git checkout commitid
07:11 rangi then git bisect start
07:11 rangi verify it still works
07:11 rangi git bisect good
07:12 rangi git checkout a commit when you know it doesnt work, eg
07:12 rangi git checkout v3.08.02
07:12 rangi verify it doesnt
07:12 rangi git bisect bad
07:12 rangi then git will check one out for you, verify again, if it works, git bisect good
07:12 rangi if not bad
07:12 rangi keep doing that it, and it will get to the commit that caused the issue
07:13 dcook Intriguing...I'm going to give it a whirl
07:13 dcook Thanks, rangi :)
07:14 dcook I wonder if it ever worked though..
07:14 dcook Oh wait...
07:14 dcook *facepalm*
07:14 dcook I don't think it ever advanced the barcode after adding the item, but yes...the duplicate message...
07:14 kf joined #koha
07:16 rangi hey kf
07:17 kf hi rangi :)
07:17 paul_p joined #koha
07:36 dcook Hmmm, not quite sure what to do with the results of this git bisect
07:36 kf what did it say?
07:36 Amit_Gupta heya kf
07:36 dcook The warning appears when I got back to Bug 3414, but it still wasn't appearing the step before at Bug 7249
07:36 kf hi Amit_Gupta
07:36 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=3414 minor, PATCH-Sent (DO NOT USE), ---, gcollum, RESOLVED FIXED, Invalid XHMTL in parcels.tmpl and general cleanup of html needed.
07:36 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=7249 enhancement, P3, ---, gmcharlt, Pushed to Master , Report webservices
07:36 dcook I assume there are commits inbetween that I'm missing?
07:37 rangi how are you doing it?
07:37 kf sorry, confused
07:37 rangi afret your first good and bad, you dont check things out anymore
07:37 rangi you just say git bisect good
07:37 rangi or git bisect bad
07:37 dcook Yeah, that's how I reached that point
07:37 rangi and git picks you a new one
07:37 dcook 7249 was bad
07:37 dcook Then the git picked 3414
07:37 rangi and its good?
07:37 dcook Which was good
07:37 rangi so do git bisect good
07:38 rangi and get another one
07:38 dcook Mmm
07:38 rangi keep doing it until it stops giving you new commits
07:38 dcook Crucial step. Great :)
07:41 dcook Hmm, seems 7249 is the bad one
07:41 kf bug 7249
07:41 wahanui hmmm... bug 7249 is particularly cool.
07:41 rangi whats the commit sha ?
07:42 kf bug 7249?
07:42 wahanui rumour has it bug 7249 is particularly cool
07:42 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=7249 enhancement, P3, ---, gmcharlt, Pushed to Master , Report webservices
07:42 dcook 24213703d5906d4bfff1a8e1c9e079bd11523ba7
07:42 kf hm, completely different area
07:44 rangi yeah, not sure how that could do it
07:44 kf what did git bisect say?
07:45 dcook 24213703d5906d4bfff1a8e1c9e079bd11523ba7 is the first bad commit
07:45 dcook But idea how
07:45 kf hmmm
07:45 kf what if the problem is realted to javascript?
07:45 kf are there errors on the page?
07:45 kf and maybe it was still in the cache?
07:45 dcook I figure it's likely a js issue
07:45 dcook Since I think the data validation is done by js
07:46 dcook The problem is that newer versions of koha aren't picking up barcode duplications in item records made during an order
07:47 kf yeah, I am a bit suspicious that we got the wrong commit
07:47 kf does reverting it fix the issue for you?
07:48 dcook Haven't tried yet
07:51 dcook Hmm, couldn't revert it
07:51 dcook Or at least I have errors shooting up
07:55 kf hm sorry
07:55 kf not sure how to resolve :(
07:57 dcook I suppose I can always redo the bisect
07:57 dcook I just tried now, and sure enough works fine in 7249
07:57 dcook I must've made a mistake the first time around...there was a lot of clicking O_O
07:58 dcook's 6...time for food or study or...something other than bugs :P
07:59 kf dcook: I think you ahve to make sure the js is reloaded and not cached
07:59 kf each time
07:59 kf so you are sure it works/doesn'twork
08:00 dcook Any tips? :)
08:00 kf hm I think there it's something like shift + f5... or similar
08:01 kf there is a short cut I always forget to make it reload the js when refreshing the page
08:02 dcook Hmm
08:02 dcook I think Shift + click refresh might do it
08:02 dcook And I was doing that...
08:02 dcook I might've missed one or two times though
08:03 asaurat joined #koha
08:05 kf sorry
08:05 kf forgot a meeting
09:07 laurence joined #koha
09:15 eythian joined #koha
09:31 eythian joined #koha
09:31 eythian <-- the insulting librarian
09:37 drojf lol
09:40 paul_p hello eythian !
09:40 eythian hiya
09:40 paul_p how are things in germany ? (cold  I think)
09:40 eythian I'm still in Brighton. Cold and wet :)
09:40 eythian @wunder brighton, uk
09:40 huginn eythian: The current temperature in Brighton, Brighton, United Kingdom is 16.6°C (10:30 AM BST on July 12, 2012). Conditions: Partly Cloudy. Humidity: 79%. Dew Point: 13.0°C. Pressure: 29.98 in 1015 hPa (Steady).
09:41 drojf but i can confirm germany iy grey, cold, wet :)
09:41 eythian not too bad right now
09:41 paul_p @wunder Marseille, france
09:41 drojf is
09:41 huginn paul_p: The current temperature in Marseille, France is 25.0°C (11:30 AM CEST on July 12, 2012). Conditions: Clear. Humidity: 39%. Dew Point: 10.0°C. Pressure: 30.04 in 1017 hPa (Falling).
09:41 drojf @wunder berlin, germany
09:41 huginn drojf: The current temperature in Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin, Germany is 17.9°C (11:12 AM CEST on July 12, 2012). Conditions: Overcast. Humidity: 63%. Dew Point: 11.0°C. Pressure: 29.83 in 1010 hPa (Steady).
09:41 eythian that's a bit warmer
09:41 paul_p very hard to decide staying in Brighton or coming to Marseille :D :D :D
09:42 eythian well, I bet the beer here is better ;)
09:42 paul_p eythian = 2 days ago, with my wife, we took a boat, and swimmed in the see. Last sunday, dinner on the beach, this lunch wife and children on the beach. Hard times here ;-)
09:42 paul_p eythian = here you'll have Pastis !!!
09:43 drojf paul_p: have you seen my post about your plack stats on koha-devel?
09:43 paul_p drojf yep. I just had nothing to add
09:43 drojf paul_p: do you know if you had swap enabled?
09:43 paul_p drojf I think so, but, with 2GB on my laptop, it's usually unused
09:44 drojf paul_p: ok then i wonder about your "all at once" numbers still
09:44 eythian paul_p: that stuff looks a bit concerning :)
09:44 gaetan_B eythian: o/
09:44 eythian hiya gaetan_B
09:44 gaetan_B eythian: it's very likely that i won't be in Marseille this saturday evening in the end ! So paul_p will take care of you i guess !
09:45 paul_p eythian = in this case, the best option is that I'll pick you at the airport = i'll be in my bed sooner !
09:45 eythian ah, good to know.
09:46 eythian paul_p: sounds good :) yeah, it wasn't until yesterday that I realised the flights are at a not-so-great time.
09:47 paul_p eythian = plus, you'll be one of the first going into my new car (got it yesterday)
09:47 eythian ohh :)
09:48 paul_p eythian = with no extra charge, of course
09:48 eythian even better!
09:49 eythian hmm, French ciders rate highly.
09:54 drojf1 joined #koha
10:25 rangi hmm no jonathan eh?
10:41 * kf_mtg waves
10:41 kf paul_p: take good care of eythian - I will get him after you ;)
10:53 frido_abcdef joined #koha
10:59 oleonard joined #koha
11:09 oleonard joined #koha
11:14 drojf1 kf: second hand eythian?
11:14 eythian naw, just going foster home to foster home :)
11:14 drojf1 heh
11:15 kf drojf: more like third hand eythian....
11:15 kf drojf: I really hope he will be in good condition still...
11:15 kf ;)
11:18 drojf who knows, after france… "eythian, vg-, stains of cheese and pastis on the cover" :D
11:18 kf vg-? :)
11:19 kf lol
11:35 drojf more thunderstorm coming up. interesting summer again this year
11:35 eythian yeah, we had that yesterday
11:36 Amit_Gupta heya eythian, drojf
11:36 eythian hello Amit_Gupta
11:36 drojf hi Amit_Gupta
11:37 nengard joined #koha
11:37 drojf eythian: we had that almost every day now, for two weeks or something
11:38 eythian ah, fun
11:38 drojf from inside it's nice :)
11:38 eythian it's OK, paul_p has promised me good weather in Marseille :)
11:38 drojf yeah, you better really stay in southern parts of germany then too
11:40 eythian drojf: if change tracking is on you can see them
11:40 eythian (LO can work with these, I've done it before)
11:42 drojf LO says it would show them, but i don't see anything so i suppose it's not used by the person that sent it
11:56 libsysguy joined #koha
12:04 * oleonard sees tweetbot` is back. New and improved?
12:06 paul_p_ joined #koha
12:06 nengard @later tell jcamins does the new authority linker run when you import authorities via the command line and/or when you batch import marc records - basically, I'm asking if we need to run the linker manually after doing an authority or marc record import
12:06 huginn nengard: The operation succeeded.
12:07 kf nengard: yes
12:07 eythian nengard: when doing it from the command line, I think that is the case. I'm not sure about the web interface, but probably.
12:08 kf knowing jared it's probably in the documentation somewhere too
12:08 * eythian begins a 3.4->3.8 upgrade.
12:08 nengard yes I have to run the linker after doing imports?
12:08 kf yes
12:08 nengard okey dokey
12:08 nengard so ?.. now i have an enhancement request / problem
12:09 Amit_Gupta heya nengard
12:09 nengard regular users can't manually run the linker
12:09 nengard so that means that we have to run it for them after every import
12:09 nengard of marc records
12:09 nengard hi Amit
12:09 kf hm
12:09 kf I am not sure for the staged marc import
12:10 kf yu might want to wait for jared's answer about that
12:10 nengard well I'm hoping not for the marc import :)
12:10 nengard will do
12:13 eythian http://media.jehaisleprintemps[…]baguetteonsnails/ <-- paul_p_
12:18 reiveune1 joined #koha
12:31 jwagner joined #koha
12:32 jcamins nengard: you have to run the linker manually after importing authority records.
12:33 nengard what about after importing marc?
12:34 jcamins It depends.
12:34 jcamins If you import using the stage MARC tool, it will link.
12:34 jcamins bulkmarcimport is considered harmful.
12:34 eythian I consider it my most used script :)
12:35 asaurat joined #koha
12:37 jcamins eythian: it does an end run around all error checkign... suitable for migrations, not for regular use.
12:37 eythian yeah
12:44 asaurat joined #koha
12:47 kf1 joined #koha
12:47 * eythian prepares to delete a production database, having taken about 20 backups first...
12:48 jcamins Yikes!
12:48 eythian fixing the MyISAM issue I was having.
12:48 marcelr hi jcamins
12:48 eythian but it requires dropping everything and reloading the fixed database in.
12:49 jcamins Good morning.
12:49 marcelr jcamins: what about your report on opac auth search?
12:51 ago43 joined #koha
12:51 jcamins marcelr: my personal opinion has always been that authority search in the OPAC was wrong, and should match the functioning search on the Intranet.
12:52 jcamins The reason I did not change it from the start is that clearly someone disagreed, since a great deal of code went into making it inconsistent.
12:52 eythian ...and just realised I'd loaded the wrong schema version. Surprised that didn't explode on me.
12:52 eythian easy to fix at least
12:52 jcamins eythian: it'll just upgrade
12:52 eythian jcamins: no, I loaded a 3.4 into a 3.8 schema
12:53 jcamins Oh. Hm.
12:53 eythian It'll take about 10 minutes to redo with the right one, so not a big issue
12:53 marcelr jcamins: some time ago these searches were dropped; do not know where that came from
12:55 kf1 I tend to agree with marcel
12:55 jcamins marcelr: you'd consider that evidence that the alternate indexes are no longer wanted? :)
12:55 BobB joined #koha
12:55 kf1 I don't see why it should be different
12:56 jcamins Hm.
12:56 marcelr jcamins: no i would have liked to keep them
12:57 marcelr but i think that opac and staff could be the same
12:57 jcamins marcelr: I mean, you'd consider that evidence that the alternate indexes can be replaced by the "normal" indexes?
12:57 marcelr well, why should we have them different?
12:58 jcamins I don't think we should, but the git log had indistinct notes about needing separate indexes for the OPAC, as I recall.
12:58 marcelr ok, i should look that up
12:58 jcamins Let me see if I can find it.
13:00 JesseM joined #koha
13:02 jcamins Hm.
13:02 jcamins I'm not coming across it now, but I remember seeing it when I was working on bug 7284.
13:02 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=7284 major, P3, ---, jcamins, RESOLVED FIXED, Authority matching algorithm improvements
13:03 marcelr well, i try a search too
13:04 jcamins However, I'm happy to do a follow-up that changes the indexes, so that if paul_p disagrees, he can just not push the follow-up.
13:05 marcelr did he disagree ? is there a unimarc problem involved?
13:06 jcamins No, but he's one of the only people still around who would remember why it was necessary to have different sets of indexes.
13:07 jcamins (rangi and hdl might too, but I don't think many of the people who wrote the original indexing are still working on Koha)
13:08 marcelr if we now add corresponding indexes, we add functionality (back) and harm nobody?
13:09 eythian kf1: why do your emails end with 'J'?
13:09 kf1 because oulook is stupid
13:09 eythian e.g.: "...I only think we should stop it from happening in the first place J"
13:09 kf1 it's a smiley
13:09 kf1 :)
13:09 kf1 like this
13:09 kf1 I forgot to tell it to send as text - sorry!
13:09 jcamins kf1: is that why so many people end their e-mails with J!
13:10 marcelr jcamins: if you look at my questions, i was also wondering if some of these indexes are actually used..
13:10 kf1 jcamins: I guess so
13:10 kf1 annoying.
13:11 jcamins Any = real keyword
13:11 eythian I think I'm viewing it in HTML
13:11 eythian there is also a text part
13:11 eythian <span lang=EN-US style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family​:Wingdings;color:#1F497D'>J</span>
13:11 jcamins Match/match-heading = all heading forms (in MARC21, 1xx, 4xx, and 5xx)
13:11 eythian I probably don't have wingdings
13:12 kf ah, then it' because you don't have wingdings?
13:12 kf anyway, it's weird it replaces it with wingdings in the first place.
13:12 eythian I have webdings, but in that it's a small desert island
13:12 mveron joined #koha
13:12 jcamins Heading-main = main entry, can't search subfields (1xx $a)
13:13 jcamins Heading = main entry, can search subfields (1xx)
13:13 marcelr was that the point staff looking in subfields and public not or so?
13:15 jcamins I don't think so, because the staff client defaults to not searching subfields.
13:16 marcelr what is the use of staff using Heading-Main ? why not Heading?
13:16 jcamins I don't know.
13:17 jcamins It's well documented in the interface that that's how it works, though.
13:18 marcelr in the manual?
13:18 jcamins I think maybe it has to do with UNIMARC?
13:18 jcamins No, actually in the interface.
13:18 jcamins It's easy to miss, but if you go to the authority search, it says "($a only)"
13:18 marcelr ok see it now
13:18 marcelr :)
13:18 eythian I think you mean "<span lang=EN-US style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:​Wingdings;color:#1F497D'>J</span>", marcelr
13:19 marcelr no
13:19 marcelr ;)
13:19 jcamins Hehe.
13:20 marcelr jcamins: we/you could raise the point on dev list ?
13:21 jcamins Sure.
13:21 marcelr if we get rid of grs, it will become at least easier again
13:21 marcelr now we have too much options
13:22 marcelr marc unimarc grs dom etc.
13:22 eythian > libhtml-template-pro-perl was installed automatically;  it is being removed because all of the packages which depend upon it are being removed
13:22 eythian :D
13:22 jcamins Agreed.
13:22 jcamins eythian: yay!
13:49 jeff joined #koha
13:50 mib_xmbmek joined #koha
13:53 maximep joined #koha
14:23 SJeffery joined #koha
14:30 McCloud joined #koha
14:55 eythian[…]560-thumbnail.jpg
15:03 reiveune joined #koha
15:05 asaurat1 joined #koha
15:07 mbalmer left #koha
15:18 drojf joined #koha
15:18 gaetan_B bye !
15:18 eythian bye!
15:28 asaurat joined #koha
15:31 Morthland joined #koha
15:31 Morthland Hey,
15:32 Morthland I need some help configuring Koha to send emails via gmail.
15:32 eythian[…]smtp-relay-ubuntu <-- Morthland
15:33 eythian Koha doesn't use an SMTP server, it just uses the server's local mail system, and that passes it along.
15:34 Morthland How can I trigger Koha to send an email?
15:34 Morthland I just don't know how to test.
15:34 eythian send a cart to yourself, or something like that.
15:34 Morthland Using the Opac?
15:35 eythian set an account to get notified when things are checked out, and check out books.
15:35 eythian yeah
15:36 Morthland then do I have to run process_message_queue?
15:36 eythian probably
15:36 eythian I can't remember if carts go through that or not.
15:37 Morthland I think that using the method I am now with nullmailer,
15:37 Morthland I define my username in that script
15:37 oleonard carts don't go through the message queue
15:37 Morthland So then, that email wont work
15:37 kf eythian: they do not
15:38 kf ah, oleonard was faster :)
15:38 eythian ah yes, I was writing a patch to make them do that actually
15:38 kf yep, and asked if you also did the account mail, because that's the only one we don't want to go there, or at least not without anonymizing it (passwords)
15:38 eythian yeah
15:38 eythian need to finish that
15:41 talljoy joined #koha
15:41 asaurat left #koha
15:43 nengard joined #koha
15:43 Morthland I will try the method you linked to me
15:43 huginn New commit(s) kohagit: Bug 8268 follow-up: incorporate QA comments <[…]0fbe8d2a1a1e34942> / Bug 8268: Add database dump to export tool <[…]a9f3dc7b798c25c9c> / Bug 5327 : Follow up for TTParser test <[…]f12a40af69f461098
15:44 maximep hourly loans are in 3.8.2, right ?
15:45 wizzyrea yep
15:45 maximep is there any tutorial/guide on how they work ?
15:45 maximep I must be missing something :S
15:47 kf sorry, i haven't tested them yet really :(
15:48 maximep :(
15:49 maximep our database is a progably a complete mess. There is a database structure site somewhere where I could compare ?
15:49 maximep forgot the name :S
15:49 maximep ah,
15:50 jenkins_koha Starting build #782 for job Koha_master (previous build: STILL UNSTABLE -- last SUCCESS #773 8 days 0 hr ago)
15:59 maximep seriously fml. It will take so many hours to switch from our hourly loan system to this one :/
15:59 kf :(
16:00 sekjal joined #koha
16:02 melia joined #koha
16:03 wizzyrea aw
16:03 kf left #koha
16:05 jcamins maximep: you have a custom hourly loans system?
16:06 maximep yes
16:06 maximep since 3.2
16:06 maximep still haven't figured out how the one in 3.8 works :S
16:06 wizzyrea you use the circulation rules
16:07 * jcamins tries to to say "told you so."
16:07 jcamins *not to say
16:08 maximep ok, just set a circulation rule in hours as the unit
16:08 maximep then how do I checkout with a due date in hours ?
16:08 jcamins maximep: if you create a new circulation rule, you can choose to do it in hours instead of days.
16:09 jcamins maximep: I actually haven't used hourly loans at all, but I think if your circulation rule is set, you just check the item out the usual way.
16:09 nengard jcamins is right
16:10 nengard just check it out and the rule should make it due in X number of hours
16:10 wizzyrea yea, ez pz
16:11 maximep hmmm so I set today as the due date
16:11 jcamins You know what the problem with blackberries is?
16:11 jcamins The seeds refuse to be blended by the immersion blender.
16:13 oleonard And they're hard to type on after they've been through the blender.
16:14 jcamins oleonard: that, too.
16:14 nengard maximep you don't set the due date at all - just scan the barcode and submit
16:14 oleonard Making a smoothie jcamins?
16:14 nengard just the way you do for daily loans
16:15 jcamins oleonard: yup.
16:16 maximep well i was going to ask a followup question :S
16:18 reiveune bye
16:18 reiveune left #koha
16:18 mustard joined #koha
16:19 wizzyrea go ahead and ask maxime
16:19 wizzyrea maximep*
16:20 jcamins rhcl++
16:21 maximep aaaaaah, ok, I now understand. Took me a while :S
16:21 maximep a bit more magic than what i'm used to
16:25 oleonard New Koha tagline: "More magic than you're used to!"
16:25 maximep haha
16:27 wizzyrea @quote add New Koha tagline: "More magic than you're used to!"
16:27 huginn wizzyrea: Error: You must be registered to use this command. If you are already registered, you must either identify (using the identify command) or add a hostmask matching your current hostmask (using the "hostmask add" command).
16:27 wizzyrea bother.
16:27 wizzyrea @quote get 23
16:27 huginn wizzyrea: Quote #23: "<gmcharlt> /msg huginn register nick password" (added by wizzyrea_ at 04:25 PM, August 06, 2009)
16:28 wizzyrea @quote add New Koha tagline: "More magic than you're used to!"
16:28 huginn wizzyrea: The operation succeeded.  Quote #209 added.
16:28 wizzyrea take that!
16:31 * oleonard wonders if other libraries have rules about what collection codes can be used with certain item types
16:31 jcamins @quote get 123
16:31 huginn jcamins: Quote #123: "rangi: #thingsihavelearnt if there is a mad scheme a library somewhere will be doing it ... except madder" (added by wizzyrea at 09:20 PM, March 30, 2011)
16:31 jcamins Hmmm...
16:31 jcamins That would mean "yes."
16:32 oleonard The infinite escalation inherent in that rule implies that libraries are doing some really crazy stuff
16:34 SJeffery oleonard: yes, yes we are *evil/crazy laugh*
16:39 cait joined #koha
16:39 * cait waves
16:54 jenkins_koha Project Koha_master build #782: STILL UNSTABLE in 1 hr 4 min: http://jenkins.koha-community.[…]/Koha_master/782/
16:54 jenkins_koha * jcamins: Bug 8203: Add ability to save individual authorities
16:54 jenkins_koha * jcamins: Bug 8203 follow-up: QA fixes
16:54 jenkins_koha * jcamins: Bug 8203 follow-up: fix MARCXML export for UNIMARC
16:54 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=8203 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, jcamins, Pushed to Master , Should be possible to save individual authorities
16:54 jenkins_koha * duncan: Added coverage to unit test for TTParser
16:54 jenkins_koha * Chris Cormack: Bug 5327 : Follow up for TTParser test
16:54 jenkins_koha * jcamins: Bug 8268: Add database dump to export tool
16:54 jenkins_koha * jcamins: Bug 8268 follow-up: incorporate QA comments
16:54 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=5327 major, P3, ---, paul.poulain, ASSIGNED , Unit tests required for all C4 modules
16:54 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=8268 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, jcamins, Pushed to Master , Koha should offer way to backup entire db
16:54 jcamins Oh no! If the TTParser test breaks again, I'll get e-mails!
16:55 jcamins As will Duncan and rangi.
16:55 jcamins Speak of the devil.
16:56 jcamins Wait, these are old failures.
16:57 maximep what happens if you checkout something 1 hour before the library close and the loan period is set to 4 hours ? Hmmm is there closing hours in 3.8 ?
16:57 maximep forgot we also added this :/
16:57 jcamins maximep: it's due on the middle of the night, which is an issue.
16:57 maximep hmmm so I wonder how the fines are calculated
16:58 maximep if it really sets the due date in 4 hours in all cases, this is a major flaw :S
16:59 jcamins I'm not 100% sure, but I think it does.
16:59 * paul_p leaves, with 22 mails to deal within inbox. Usually that's 40-50, so, it's a good day. Bye & see you tomorrow #koha
16:59 cait bye paul_p
17:00 cait maximep: it was in the spec initially
17:00 cait but I think it wasn't implemented so far
17:00 cait I think it would be a great addition - opening hours
17:00 jcamins Good grief.
17:00 jcamins I think every single record in this authority file is a duplicate.
17:00 cait if you already have the interface part, maybe you could try to contribute that part? (how to store them etc.)
17:00 cait hopefullly not my testing data?
17:00 jcamins And there are... uhhh...
17:01 jcamins Nope.
17:01 jcamins 186k.
17:02 jcamins Oh, drat.
17:02 jcamins I missed my chance to talk to clrh.
17:02 maximep yes we do have business_hours that are configurable in calendar/holiday page.
17:03 maximep we'll see what the client wants to do, but id really like to share that part
17:04 jcamins maximep: maybe if you point out to them that if they let you release it, they wouldn't be paying you to do all the work over?
17:04 maximep he knows
17:05 cait maximep: fingers crossed
17:05 mbalmer joined #koha
17:05 maximep I already started to share our code as we rebase it for 3.8
17:05 cait :)
17:06 jcamins maximep: my fingers are crossed for you as well.
17:07 jcamins And my legs (can't cross my toes as they're too short;).
17:07 maximep no need, i'm doing fine =)
17:08 mustard joined #koha
17:09 maximep are RFCs just plan before doing the work or should[…]/Hourly_Loans_RFC be updated with what was done and what is left to do ?
17:09 jcamins maximep: the latter, I think.
17:09 jcamins I update RFCs as I find that my plans changed.
17:09 cait yeah, it owuld be good to update it to reflect what is there and what is missing
17:32 sv joined #koha
17:32 sv how to export biblio from koha 2.0.0 in Marc Format
17:33 laurence left #koha
17:53 cail joined #koha
18:24 datadoctor joined #koha
18:41 mbalmer left #koha
19:12 wizzyrea you can't change the default username for new users, right?
19:13 wizzyrea it's always first.last
19:13 wizzyrea is that right?
19:14 trea joined #koha
19:17 oleonard I don't know of a configuration option if that's what you mean wizzyrea
19:17 wizzyrea right, that's exactly what I mean - there's no syspref to say "Use xxxxxx as the default username for new patrons"
19:18 wizzyrea whether that's a field from borrowers or a combo thereof
19:18 wizzyrea I thought it was hardcoded to first.last.
19:19 jwagner wizzyrea, it's hardcoded in
19:19 wizzyrea cool thx :)
19:42 bag thanks jcamins_away
19:50 mustard joined #koha
20:06 kathryn joined #koha
20:16 sekjal exit
20:24 wizzyrea it would be awesome to integrate this with koha somehow:
20:24 rangi morning
20:24 wizzyrea mornin
20:24 adnc joined #koha
20:26 wizzyrea also, I really love that UI
20:26 rangi does it have an api?
20:26 wizzyrea sadly, it doesn't look like it >.<
20:26 wizzyrea we should pester them for one :P
20:27 * wizzyrea pesters
20:27 rangi yes you should :)
20:29 wizzyrea there, done pestered.
20:31 wizzyrea oh, but you could do something with the related links though
20:31 wizzyrea link to reviews based on a search
20:31 wizzyrea that could work.
20:33 drojf you could make dpavlin scrape the whole thing ;)
20:33 wizzyrea heh
20:34 * wizzyrea is not a sadist
20:36 wizzyrea for example: http://catalog-test.nexpressli[…]blionumber=470483
20:37 wizzyrea click "read reviews on this title"
20:37 wizzyrea under more searches
20:39 rangi cool
20:39 wizzyrea not perfect, but still decent
20:39 rangi yup
20:40 drojf that more searches link list goes crazy when i click on "more searches"
20:40 wizzyrea define "crazy"
20:42 drojf when i open the link its all ok, i see the list. when i click in more searches, the list vanishes. when i click it again, it reappears but is too much left and a little to much up
20:42 drojf like a third of it is out of that box on the left side
20:43 wizzyrea yep it's a side effect of trying to force it not to be in a drop down.
20:43 wizzyrea on initial page load
20:43 drojf ok
20:43 wizzyrea I haven't figured out how to fix it yet
20:44 drojf but it's there so there is no need to click that anyway
20:45 wizzyrea I actually probably just need to get rid of "more searches"
20:45 wizzyrea and just show the list
20:45 drojf yes
20:53 rangi wow
20:53 rangi way to not make me want to work on your project
20:54 wizzyrea O.o
20:54 rangi[…]g.cgi?id=6891#c13
20:54 huginn Bug 6891: enhancement, P5 - low, ---, gmcharlt, NEW , LDIF interoperability - a proposal
20:54 rangi If your goal is truly ILS openness and vendor independence, let's work together and make LDIF interoperability a reality!
20:54 rangi dude you work for a company that makes a proprietary ILS
20:55 rangi if you were truly about openness, release the source code for that
20:56 drojf i stopped at "We're not open-source, but we do strongly believe in open interchange: library data belongs to libraries, and shouldn't be used as a hostage to keep libraries chained to their automation systems."
20:56 drojf which is like the third sentence
20:56 rangi yeah
20:57 rangi open data is a fraud
20:57 rangi as are open api
20:57 rangi ask anyone who develops for twitter
20:57 rangi if you dont control the code, you control NOTHING
20:58 drojf "There are even Koha consortia which are charging their librarians multi-thousand dollar extraction fees just to get their own data out!"
20:58 drojf hm
20:58 drojf i can imagine one
21:00 wizzyrea does anyone know - does marking an item lost stop the overdue messages?
21:01 wizzyrea I admit I've never heard this question befoer
21:01 wizzyrea before*
21:02 drojf i don't know. but it would make sense if it did.
21:03 rangi it does
21:03 rangi because it returns it off the persons card
21:03 rangi and they get charged for it
21:03 wizzyrea ohhh right
21:05 * rangi does a quick reply to that bug report
21:05 wizzyrea what about missing?
21:05 rangi no idea
21:05 wizzyrea missing leaves it on the account
21:05 rangi yeah
21:05 rangi then you will still get overdues
21:05 rangi overdues looks purely at what is out
21:05 rangi it doesnt look at the item any closer than that
21:05 rangi so doesnt check if its lost, or missing, or whatever
21:06 rangi it just checks this is issued to someone, and it should have been returned by now
21:06 rangi yay bug 8268
21:06 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=8268 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, jcamins, Pushed to Master , Koha should offer way to backup entire db
21:06 wizzyrea gotya
21:06 wizzyrea YAY
21:06 trea YAY
21:06 rangi i should have put that in a link to the biblionix dude
21:07 drojf rangi: but it's not truly open if it is not in the format that makes import in his closed system easiest for him ;)
21:08 rangi :-)
21:08 rangi my comment wasnt too harsh eh?
21:08 drojf not for me it wasn't
21:09 rangi i mean robin did spend a bunch of time helping him with his schema earlier
21:10 rangi which means that coming in saying "If your goal is truly opennes .." makes you a bit of a prick
21:10 rangi imho
21:13 drojf and that coming from the guy with the closed system. hard to take that seriously
21:13 wizzyrea "please make it easier for me to convert your db"
21:13 drojf yes
21:13 wizzyrea erm… well… yea, that's fine yo.
21:15 rangi :)
21:16 rangi send a patch yo
21:16 wizzyrea hehehehe
21:16 rangi thats what i shoulda said
21:16 rangi comebacks they always get better after the fact :)
21:26 JesseM left #koha
21:54 maximep left #koha
21:55 trea left #koha
22:40 mtj nah, he understands just fine
22:48 jcamins I'm helping!!!!!
22:48 rangi hehe
22:50 mtj ... the bug needs a  "wow, great idea!. patches welcome, bye ..."  reply
22:53 libsysguy developers will work for food not karma
22:57 mustard OK, I've been sitting here stewing. At the risk of suffering great persecution I'll take the flip side of the coin for argument...
22:57 mustard I can always come up with a new nick I suppose...
22:57 jcamins lol
22:57 jcamins mustard: but you always sign in from the same IP. :P
22:58 mustard 1. There are more migrations from other ILSs to Koha than the reverse. Having a standard data export format would eventually benefit Koha at the expense of everybody else
22:58 mustard jcamins: you can route irc over tor
22:58 jcamins mustard: ooh, clever.
22:58 drojf then you are the one tor user :P
22:59 mustard I could be ketchup and you'd never know
22:59 mustard 2. we almost got the great reaming tool applied to us when we migrated to Koha from S.
22:59 mtj mustard:  i love your idea!, patches welcome...
23:00 mustard Oh, to be clear, the reaming tool from S., not our migrating vendor
23:00 mustard patches to tor or the reaming tool? anyway
23:00 jcamins mustard: it *is* a great idea. The problem is he's sold it... badly.
23:01 mustard Ok, but in killing the salesman it appears to kill the idea, which might have merit
23:01 jcamins I do genuinely hope that he'll provide a patch.
23:02 drojf …and staff access to apollo
23:02 jcamins Well, yeah.
23:03 rangi well people spent a bunch of time helping with the spec and fixing the xml
23:03 rangi if you read the history of the bug
23:03 mtj he could also make a great start by publishing their existing ldif->apollo converter code
23:03 mustard and I didn't, admittedly
23:03 rangi theres your problem right there
23:03 mustard accept
23:04 rangi ohh version 5
23:04 mustard but it would be nice to keep the objective and possible benefits in mind, you know, what's that American saying...
23:04 jcamins Version 5?
23:04 mustard cutting off your ear to spite your nose or something
23:05 rangi who killed the salesman?
23:05 jcamins rangi: I thought he drove a car into a wall or something?
23:05 mustard well, we are talking metaphorically I hope....
23:05 rangi jcamins: a non release release announcement from non releases
23:06 rangi who even metaphorically did that?
23:06 rangi i suggest actually reading the bug might help
23:06 rangi i know devils advocate is fun and all
23:06 rangi but it doesnt have to be an occupation
23:06 jcamins rangi: a what? Huh?
23:06 jcamins I'm so confused.
23:07 jcamins Ohhhh.
23:07 jcamins Version 5.
23:09 rangi specifically
23:09 mtj mustard: i highly recommend reading the bug to assuage your stewage
23:09 rangi[…]g.cgi?id=6891#c20
23:09 huginn Bug 6891: enhancement, P5 - low, ---, gmcharlt, NEW , LDIF interoperability - a proposal
23:09 mustard ah, it's over...
23:09 rangi he's not running anywhere, the discussion has been channelled into productive activity
23:10 mustard I did read part of the bug, but didn't go into the history
23:10 rangi and we have come to the crux of the issue
23:10 jcamins Ahhh.
23:10 * jcamins should have known.
23:12 mustard It's 1800 and I need a big hamburger.  Everyone have a pleasant day...
23:12 mustard left #koha
23:13 drojf (22:55:34) drojf: "There are even Koha consortia which are charging their librarians multi-thousand dollar extraction fees just to get their own data out!"
23:13 drojf (22:55:35) drojf: hm
23:13 drojf (22:55:37) drojf: i can imagine one
23:13 drojf aaaand… i was right
23:14 rangi yup
23:15 papa joined #koha
23:18 drojf rangi: yes i was wondering how he would make ll cherrypick exactly THIS
23:19 jcamins pull request?
23:19 wahanui i guess pull request is better, for a big patch like that
23:30 rangi could do that, fork and pull request on github
23:35 rangi slackers!
23:40 drojf "Play Zork on the Raspberry Pi" \o/
23:42 drojf but better not now. good night
23:52 mtj oh god, who's stupid idea was that tweetbot...
23:55 bag heh

| Channels | #koha index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | plain, newest first | summary