IRC log for #koha, 2012-06-01

All times shown according to UTC.

Time S Nick Message
00:00 druthb joined #koha
00:18 NateC joined #koha
00:28 BobB_ joined #koha
00:45 BobB joined #koha
01:16 SDWK joined #koha
01:19 SDWK Hi All
01:21 chris_n evening
01:25 chris_n is there a way to "round-trip" xml/xslt -> html -> xslt/xml ?
01:29 * chris_n sets out warm cookies
01:32 jcamins chris_n: yeah, if the HTML is structured enough. But it probably won't be.
01:36 chris_n HTML::Element looks promising
01:36 chris_n HTML::Element->as_XML()
01:36 rangi chris_n: why? :)
01:37 jcamins rangi: good call.
01:37 jcamins first question?
01:37 wahanui "What are you trying to do?"  "What is the goal?" or "What problem are you experiencing?"
01:37 rangi couldn't you do xml via xslt -> different xml
01:37 rangi and cut out the lossy middleman?
01:38 chris_n marcxml->html->marcxml
01:39 jcamins chris_n: why HTML?
01:39 rangi what he said :)
01:39 jcamins Would it be better to just render on the clientside?
01:39 rangi marcxml -> other marcxml ?
01:39 chris_n because once you run xml thorugh xslt it is html
01:39 rangi nope
01:40 chris_n ?
01:40 rangi only our xslt
01:40 jcamins chris_n: doesn't have to be. XSLT transforms XML into arbitrary other XML.
01:40 * chris_n musta missed something
01:40 rangi yeah xslt is  for doing xml transforms
01:40 rangi it could xml + xslt = txt
01:40 rangi xml + xslt = csv
01:40 rangi if you wanted
01:40 chris_n right, that I understand
01:41 rangi so id just not use our xslt stylesheets which are designed to create html
01:41 rangi and use one thats designed to create whatever you want
01:41 * rangi might be missing something tho
01:42 chris_n I'm experimenting with xslt to replace frameworks in a marc editor
01:42 chris_n what I'd like to do is produce html; edit; transform back to marcxml; update db
01:42 rangi take a look at C4::Record
01:43 chris_n so its not simply for display in some format
01:43 rangi its doing a bunch of different transforms
01:43 jcamins Right, you don't want to edit the transformed-to-HTML part. You want the HTML-based editor to be directly modifying the MARCXML.
01:43 rangi *nod*
01:43 rangi be tricky, but ultimately awesome!
01:43 * chris_n will have to think about this a bit more
01:44 jcamins The HTML-rendered output will be keyed to the actual MARCXML.
01:44 chris_n I think we're on different trains of thought :-)
01:45 jcamins chris_n: really? Aren't you thinking about how to transform a record using an XSLT stylesheet, and then use the modified result?
01:46 chris_n no
01:47 jcamins Oh.
01:47 jcamins What are you thinking about?
01:49 chris_n well, maybe that's what I was thinking after all...
01:50 chris_n the problem really is that a) I asked an XY question and B) I was thinking out loud :-)
01:50 jcamins Heh. :)
01:50 chris_n but clearly its a dead end either way so I'll throw that thought out
01:52 chris_n jcamins: that's basically what I planned to do to start with; have the editor directly mod the marcxml
01:52 chris_n I just thought I was having a brainstorm
01:53 * chris_n will shut up and go back to writing code now
01:53 jcamins It still could be an inspired idea.
01:53 rangi yeah, it's quite likely im not getting it :)
01:56 chris_n a rabbit trail is more like it ;-)
02:15 mtompset joined #koha
02:17 mtompset Greetings.
02:29 mtompset SchemaSpy says items.materials can be null.
02:30 mtompset But there's no defined() check on $item{'materials'} in catalogue/
02:32 jcamins I have no idea what that field is used for, so, yeah, probably not a vital one.
02:32 jcamins mtompset: if it's just used to pass to the template, the check is in the template.
02:32 jcamins If it's actually being processed in some way by catalogue/, there should be.
02:36 mtompset 952$3 if that means anything to you.
02:36 mtompset it is used to set a flag which is sent to the template.
02:37 jcamins Yeah, there will be an [% IF itemloo.materials %] in the template.
02:37 jcamins 952$3 is for something like "Companion CD-ROM." :)
02:38 mtompset But the check to set the flag generates an error in the log, because it is undefined.
02:38 mtompset Not because of the template, though.
02:38 jcamins Ah, then there should be an if (defined $item{'materials'})
02:39 mtompset well, I figure we can use short-circuiting
02:39 mtompset defined(...) && ...
02:39 mtompset and since you're here...
02:40 mtompset How do I set up the git stuff?
02:40 jcamins git?
02:40 wahanui rumour has it git is[…]Control_Using_Git
02:40 jcamins ^^ that page is *great*
02:40 jcamins It got me started back when I had never even managed to get CVS working right.
02:40 jcamins Yeah, if there's an if, definitely go with short circuiting.
02:41 mtompset I figure I'll try to get the git version working on my test machine, so as I come across bugs it will be easier to tell if they were fixed or not.
02:42 jcamins Yup.
02:43 jcamins And then you can submit patches easily.
02:43 jcamins What was I thinking?
02:44 mtompset GAH! not setting up email!
02:44 jcamins I just ran SELECT * FROM zebraqueue;
02:44 mtompset I've been trying and failing for days!
02:44 jcamins E-mail isn't so important anymore.
02:44 jcamins You have to *enter* your e-mail, though.
02:44 jcamins So that you can get credit for your patches.
02:45 mtompset or blame. ;)
02:45 jcamins Right.
02:45 mtompset So what did you find in zebraqueue?
02:46 jcamins mtompset: 400k records.
02:46 jcamins COUNT() would have been a better way to find out whether the data had finished loading.
02:48 * jcamins calls it a night, now that the data load has completed.
02:48 jcamins Good night, #koha.
02:49 mtompset Good day. ;)
04:55 cait joined #koha
04:59 Oak joined #koha
05:02 Oak \o
05:02 Oak kia ora #koha
05:32 zioha_ joined #koha
06:15 cait left #koha
06:16 francharb joined #koha
06:18 francharb hello
06:31 sophie_m joined #koha
06:33 monisa joined #koha
06:33 thd-away` joined #koha
06:33 alex_a joined #koha
06:34 monisa Hi, i am using koha 2.2.9 for windows, how can i get a book image from amazon pls help
06:36 mtompset Hello, francharb. I'm not familiar with the windows version, monisa. Sorry. I just started hanging out here yesterday. :)
06:36 thd-awa`` joined #koha
06:37 monisa any one else pls help
06:37 francharb the windows version?
06:37 wahanui somebody said the windows version was really really really old, and totally unsupported
06:38 francharb monisa, what you need is to set up the correct system preferences
06:39 francharb but I never worked with your version
06:39 francharb I can't tell if the sytem preferences we know in the actual version were in yours
06:39 francharb check if you have
06:40 mtompset I personally would recommend running a virtual machine on your windows box and do the mot recent linux install in the virtual environment.
06:40 monisa in system preference where is the amozon configuration for images and book review
06:40 mtompset ^mot^most^
06:40 mtompset The problem is the windows version is 2.2.9
06:40 francharb monisa, look for "AmazonEnabled"
06:40 mtompset The most recent version is either 3.6.X or 3.8.X
06:41 paul_p good morning  #koha
06:41 francharb monisa, is it an option for you to run a more recent install on a virtual machine?
06:42 mtompset To be more precise, are you able to install any software you want on your computer?
06:42 mtompset Or are you in a corporate environment which has locked down certain functionalities?
06:43 thd-away joined #koha
06:43 mtompset
06:44 julian_m joined #koha
06:44 mtompset is the website of a reasonably good and free product.
06:44 monisa corporate environment
06:44 julian_m hello!
06:45 mtompset In which case, you may want to talk to your system administrators about whether or not policy allows you to run a virtual machine.
06:46 monisa what are appropriate values for AmazonAssocTag and AmazonDevKey, when i go amazon web services, it is asking for credit card number, that i dont have now. what i want is just image and book review from amazon, all other things in koha win version 2.2.9 is ok
06:47 thd-away` joined #koha
06:47 francharb monisa, the amazon web service account is free
06:48 francharb are you on this page :
06:48 francharb ?
06:50 francharb monisa, once you are logged in, go to "Security credentials" > Access credentials
06:50 francharb and you will have your access key id (to set up AWSAccessKeyID )
06:51 francharb and the Secret Access Key for AWSPrivateKey
06:52 francharb monisa, you also need to activate in Koha AmazonCoverImages and OPACAmazonCoverImages... well, whatever you need! ;)
06:52 mtompset There have been significant improvements on this functionality since 2.2.9
06:53 francharb and monisa, mtompset is right. if you can ask to install the last version, I also think it's a good idea! ;)
06:54 monisa yes, this page, when i go to sign up, it says that my email is registered , when i go to forget password it asks for credit card
06:54 thd-away joined #koha
06:55 francharb :(
06:55 monisa at this time i am ok with this version just need help for amazon images and book review
06:57 monisa hello
06:58 reiveune joined #koha
06:58 reiveune hello
06:58 wahanui niihau, reiveune
07:01 thd-away` joined #koha
07:02 monisa when i go to sign up, it says that my email is registered , when i go to forget password it asks for credit card
07:06 mtompset Well, you probably registered your card with the account, and that's their security measure.
07:06 thd-away joined #koha
07:07 mtompset Though, it doesn't ask me for mine.
07:08 monisa PLS GUIDE
07:09 thd-awa`` joined #koha
07:10 asaurat joined #koha
07:11 thd-away` joined #koha
07:11 hdl joined #koha
07:13 mtompset Sorry. I don't know how to help. That is an Amazon issue.
07:13 mtompset Have you had your computer scanned for viruses?
07:13 mtompset It sounds like there is some sneaky redirection going on.
07:17 slef :-/
07:17 Oak joined #koha
07:17 Oak kia ora #koha
07:17 gaetan_B joined #koha
07:17 gaetan_B o/ :)
07:21 thd-away joined #koha
07:24 kf joined #koha
07:27 mtompset Sorry we couldn't help more.
07:35 slef I'm sure I've done this a few times before but I can't remember how... how do I link imported authorities to imported biblios?
07:36 slef wahanui: marc21
07:36 wahanui marc21 is at[…]hic/ecbdlist.html ,
07:37 kf slef: you use the awesome work jcamins has done
07:37 kf slef: which version?
07:37 wahanui which version are you looking at?
07:37 slef ooh is there a nicer way to do this now?
07:37 slef kf: 3.8.mumble
07:37 kf a lot nicer and reliable way
07:37 rangi Same script
07:37 kf there are several system preferences you can look at under authorities and a rewritten script
07:38 rangi Just works tons better
07:38 rangi link something something
07:38 kf linkauthtobibssomething
07:39 slef
07:39 wahanui is, like, something that you run because you did something wrong with my system, and now you want to fix it by doing something you probably shouldn't be doing
07:39 slef I searched for link but in the wrong folder (oops)
07:39 kf wahanui forget
07:39 wahanui kf: I forgot
07:40 slef yay!
07:41 slef that's 1724 of them fixed, only another 3549 to do
07:41 slef thanks all
07:41 kf what's the problem with the 3549?
07:41 slef headings not in authorities yet... I don't think their previous system enforced the authorities file
07:42 kf slef: not sure if there is an easy way to fix that, perhaps worth asking jared
07:43 slef kf: I'm using things like[…]n_the_Authorities (which I've a bugfix for... needs a DISTINCT and an ORDER BY) and some sick perl scripts.
07:46 slef the sick perl script basically makes a dummy marcxml marc21 authorities file from text lines
08:16 Oak koha-common is not available in Debian testing (Wheezy), right?
08:19 kf word--
08:19 Oak word?
08:19 kf ms_word--
08:19 kf word++
08:20 Oak ms_word--
08:20 Oak :)
08:20 slef ms_word--
08:20 slef @karma ms_word
08:20 huginn` slef: Karma for "ms_word" has been increased 0 times and decreased 3 times for a total karma of -3.
08:20 Oak LinuxMint uses Debian testing's repositories
08:20 Oak will i be able to install koha-common on it?
08:21 Oak i think i should be able to do it easily... just add the line in sources.list... and import gpg key and good to go?
08:21 Oak I just installed Debian and had no idea it will so much fuss to install Firefox
08:21 slef Oak: sounds good. Record and document how it goes?
08:21 Oak well, okay
08:21 slef huh? Why are you installing firefox instead of just using iceweasel?
08:22 Oak because
08:22 Oak just because.
08:22 slef mozilla hates you and wants to steal your freedom, you know? ;-)
08:22 Oak huh?
08:22 Oak really? educate me.
08:22 Oak oh wait
08:22 Oak you were joking
08:23 slef mostly
08:23 slef there is a dispute but it's pretty small and it sucks that mozilla foundation won't back down
08:23 slef mozilla use trademarks to lock firefox down (unlike most software that uses copyright)
08:23 Oak or Debian won't back down
08:24 slef well... this is a well-known red line which predates firefox or even mozilla foundation
08:24 Oak Debian people could just let it get added to the non-free repository...
08:24 Oak *sigh*
08:24 slef I don't think anyone's blocking it from non-free, but packaging it is a lot of work and no-one's volunteered as far as I know.
08:24 Oak ah isee.
08:24 Oak got it.
08:25 Oak so... what do you recommend? I stick with Debian, or do I try Mint?
08:25 slef biab - if you want to know more, I'm happy to find the links to the explanation if it's not on
08:25 slef I stick with debian most of the time.
08:25 slef but hey, freedom of choice is good.
08:26 slef now really in a meeting :)
08:26 Oak okay later slef :)
08:26 Oak than you!
08:26 Oak let me think about it... the Debian and Mint.... thing.
08:31 kf mailinglists>?
08:31 kf mailinglists?
08:31 kf mailinglist?
08:32 kf mailing list?
08:32 wahanui rumour has it mailing list is at[…]ha-mailing-lists/
08:36 mtompset Oak... LYNX ... it's an awesome text browser, and it works for the web setup portion of the install.
08:37 mtompset Especially useful if you don't want to install DESKTOP stuff on your SERVER.
08:38 mtompset Well, that's not super useful, I didn't reply in a reasonable amount of time.
08:39 mtompset kf, where are you from?
08:40 kf Germany
08:41 mtompset I'm a Canadian in the Philippines. :)
08:41 * magnuse waves from norway
08:41 mtompset I have friends from both your countries. :)
08:42 magnuse small world ;-)
08:42 mtompset Especially when you are working for a worldwide NGO. :)
08:46 mtompset Are either of you familiar with the bug reporting cycle?
08:47 mtompset I reported a bug yesterday.
08:47 mtompset It looks like there's a fix for it.
08:47 mtompset But the status is 'Needs Sign off'
08:47 mtompset Who signs off?
08:48 kf everyone can
08:48 kf except for the one who wrote the patch of course
08:49 kf there are pages on the wiki explaining the workflow, let me check
08:49 cjh[…]gn_off_on_patches
08:50 kf[…]nt-patch_Workflow is also interesting
08:52 * kf checks on her tickets for monday :)
08:54 zioha_ joined #koha
08:54 Oak kf, this is the 28th time you have done that ;)
08:54 Oak stop it.
08:54 kf Oak: how did you know??
08:55 Oak i _knew_ it
08:55 Oak :)
08:56 Oak time to reboot
09:25 hdl joined #koha
09:32 francharb have you ever tried to sort a dropdown menu with jquery?
09:32 francharb anyone?
09:36 kf francharb: no, sorry - have you tried google?
09:36 francharb yep
09:36 francharb i'm on it
09:37 francharb i tried and failed
09:37 francharb :)
09:37 kf francharb: next week!!
09:37 kf when will you arrive?
09:37 francharb but i just find a function that looks nice
09:37 francharb on monday
09:37 francharb around 4pm
09:37 kf I found out I am on the same plane as the biblibre crowd from marseille
09:37 francharb great
09:38 francharb maybe we will be on the same row
09:38 francharb ;)
09:38 francharb I take this plane too
09:38 kf ah, cool :)
09:38 francharb It's going to be fun!
09:38 kf thought you might be travelling separately from lyon
09:38 kf it was lyon, right?
09:39 kf or not...
09:39 francharb yep
09:39 francharb i will fly from lyon -> amsterdam -> edinburgh
09:47 gaetan_B joined #koha
09:48 hdl joined #koha
09:50 kf francharb: zürich - amsterdam - edinburgh :)
09:51 * slef will roll Norfolk -> Edinburgh
09:51 francharb kf :)
09:51 francharb for the sorting jquery
09:51 francharb i did sorted my list
09:51 kf slef: drive carefully :)
09:51 francharb but it tooks every entry from every lists of my page
09:51 slef little tip for future reference... don't organise a conference if you have no two members in the same town ;)
09:51 francharb :)
10:05 mtompset Strange... it said I had stemmers installed but they couldn't be found.
10:06 mtompset Something is freaky messed up with my perl installation, I think.
10:07 gaetan_B joined #koha
10:20 asaurat1 joined #koha
10:44 Oak joined #koha
11:09 reiveune1 joined #koha
11:33 Oak joined #koha
11:36 asaurat joined #koha
11:36 reiveune joined #koha
11:44 Oak_ joined #koha
11:54 jwagner joined #koha
11:55 esofiane joined #koha
11:57 esofiane hi #koha
11:57 Oak hi esofiane
12:10 asaurat1 joined #koha
12:11 reiveune1 joined #koha
12:20 NateC joined #koha
12:27 mbalmer joined #koha
12:51 oleonard joined #koha
12:56 gaetan_B joined #koha
13:10 oleonard anyone understand Bug 8174?
13:10 huginn` Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=8174 minor, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, NEW , OpacNavBottom appears between OpacNav and Patron Links when patron is logged in and browses to /koha/
13:16 Oak joined #koha
13:16 Oak \o
13:23 talljoy joined #koha
13:27 asaurat1 about this list :[…]_customized_OPACs
13:27 asaurat are we talking about CSS customization and no template modification ?
13:28 oleonard Probably not
13:29 oleonard ...since the page doesn't specify what kind of customizations we want to see.
13:29 asaurat right
13:29 asaurat :/
13:30 oleonard If each of those links has no template modifications we could modify the description of the page to ask for CSS/JS-only changes
13:34 asaurat yep, would be great to promote this kind of customization
13:34 maximep joined #koha
13:36 Oak so... customizing the template is discouraged?
13:37 Oak i mean it's not good?
13:37 oleonard Making changes to templates is discouraged because of the problem it creates with maintainability
13:37 Oak because it will get overwritten... that's the only reason i can think of...
13:37 Oak yes
13:37 oleonard Of course you can do whatever you want, and there are smart ways to do it and dumb ways to do it
13:38 Oak i wish we could have something like child themes in wordpress?
13:38 oleonard But I think it would be nice to have that gallery promote nice looking OPACs which have done it with pure CSS+JS
13:38 Oak hmm
13:38 gaetan_B joined #koha
13:39 oleonard So, anyone else *not* get a call about this?[…]mmers-2012-2012-5
13:39 * oleonard prepares his glamour shot to submit for next year
13:42 hdl joined #koha
13:43 JesseM joined #koha
13:45 datadoctor joined #koha
13:45 datadoctor Good morning!
13:46 datadoctor Or evening!
13:46 wahanui well, evening is better for me - but not too late
13:46 oleonard datadoctor I think wahanui is putting the moves on you
13:46 datadoctor ;)
13:47 datadoctor Working on the Acquistions process today. We are having trouble with Receiving items.
13:48 datadoctor Combining the with the yields a batch process for receiving all items on an order in one click.
13:49 datadoctor Writing for our 3.5 install, may need to be modified for 3.8.x
13:49 datadoctor I will post to our bug report after we test the patch thoroughly.
13:50 datadoctor http://ticket.bywatersolutions[…]w_bug.cgi?id=4480
13:50 huginn` Bug 4480: normal, P5 - low, ---, gmcharlt, NEW , MARC21 033 tag and Zebra date indexing
13:50 zioha joined #koha
13:51 datadoctor Hmm - do I have something on this in Koha bugzilla?
13:56 datadoctor Try this instead:[…]w_bug.cgi?id=8179
13:56 huginn` Bug 8179: enhancement, P5 - low, ---, henridamien, NEW , Receiving items requires repetitive clicking.
14:04 kf datadoctor: I think important is tomake sure it works for all settings of AcqCreateItem system preference
14:04 datadoctor Thank you! I will look at that closely.
14:04 kf datadoctor: there is also some work done on the item part of acq in 3.8 and 3.6 - so it might need more work to make it work for these versions.
14:05 kf if that makes sense
14:06 datadoctor Sounds good. I don't want to put in too much work until we are upgraded to 3.8 later this Summer. However, our tech svcs. need it now (new budget = big orders), so hopefully we can provide a skeleton for future work in 3.8
14:06 datadoctor We did notice the different behavior with the AcqCreateItem setting.
14:08 datadoctor I understand AcqCreateItem settings "placing an order" and "receiving an order" but what is when "cataloging a record?" Is that for folks who don
14:08 datadoctor 't use the Acquisitions tools?
14:10 datadoctor I'm thinking that the item is not attached to an order in that case...
14:12 datadoctor kf Thanks for your input. I'm going to talk it over with my colleague, Jorge.
14:12 kf using acq but not creating items on the titles
14:13 francharb joined #koha
14:15 kf datadoctor: hm I think we are using different vocabulary - what you call items I would call orders, and orders can have multiple items ordered
14:15 kf datadoctor: no wrng, order lines
14:16 kf basket = order, containing order lines for different bibliographic titles, each oder line ordering 1 or more items/copies of the title for the library
14:19 datadoctor Our procedure is to create an order, populate it with items, then receive the shipment. The "Already Received" items should correspond one-to-one to our physical invoice. The title is created with the item, using the Z3950 search.
14:20 kf I may be irritated because I am not a native speaker :)
14:20 datadoctor If the invoice doesn't correspond to the physical inventory received then the basket total won'
14:20 datadoctor t match the physical invoice total.
14:21 kf ok, really confused now
14:21 kf what I mean is order lines are an 1:n relationship to items
14:21 datadoctor I know - I'm looking for a more solid workflow.
14:21 kf one basket can have multiple orderlines, each orderline can order multiple items
14:22 datadoctor Each order line shows a title, however multiple items may be received for that title.
14:22 kf yes
14:22 kf and itwill only be one line in parcel for the title
14:22 kf not one for each item
14:22 kf oleonard++ for kicking out a part of yui :)
14:22 datadoctor I understand that current Koha incorporates a mechanism for simultaneously accepting mutliple items per title.
14:23 datadoctor Go yui!
14:23 * wizzyrea_away waves
14:23 datadoctor I mean receiving multiple items.
14:23 kf not only current, I think you pretty much could always do that
14:24 kf batch receiving multiple order lines is the missing piece I think?
14:24 kf hi wizzyrea :)
14:25 datadoctor The process is difficult to automate because of the item creation process - a lot of information is passed through the Receive scripts.
14:25 datadoctor If something is missing, the scripts fail.
14:26 datadoctor Plus there are the three AcqCreateItems methods, and corresponding workflows. The procedure needs to be useful for different workflows.
14:27 kf yes, it's not easy :(
14:35 slef tee hee... just gave mjkaye a stationery shopping list for kohacon12
14:35 slef I think BR is the only member of our co-op that I haven't roped in yet.
14:41 kf heh
14:41 kf monday!! :)
14:48 Oak *sigh* so lucky... those going
14:50 * kf sends Oak cookies
14:52 Oak well okay. i accept. but still sad you all are going.
14:55 slef why is everything I need for work at the other end of the flat!
14:55 kf bad planning? *ducks*
14:55 jcamins slef: could be worse... it could be on the other side of the country.
14:55 slef kf: actually it's because I'm not at my own desk
14:56 slef jcamins: I fear that happening next week
14:56 kf another good reason
14:57 slef but we have tried to be good scouts! Be Prepared!
14:58 mbalmer_ joined #koha
14:58 mbalmer__ joined #koha
14:59 * kf imagines slef as a scout
14:59 kf :)
14:59 slef I was... then a ranger broke my arm. Not sure I went back.
15:00 kf ouch :(
15:00 mbalmer_ joined #koha
15:00 slef kf: do you know the answer to Bug 6697 or should I try to put it in discussion?
15:00 huginn` Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=6697 minor, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, NEW , Empty Organisation(s) field for organisational patrons
15:00 slef oleonard, jwagner: you might know about that too.
15:01 kf slef: you should ask rangi
15:02 kf slef: iirc he said it used to be an n:n thing, one organisation could be part of n others and so on
15:02 kf and that got broken a long while ago I guess
15:02 kf but it would explain why there was a list
15:02 slef let's all ask rangi
15:03 slef he'll feel like it's groundhog day
15:03 kf well... he is kind of the eldest... he knows how things were looong times ago
15:03 reiveune1 bye
15:03 reiveune1 left #koha
15:04 asaurat left #koha
15:05 jwagner self, I vaguely remember working on org patron problems a long time ago, but would have to dig
15:30 SJeffery joined #koha
15:30 paul_p joined #koha
15:41 jcamins Wow, the upgrade past hourly really takes forever, doesn't it?
15:43 SJeffery Does anyone know the bug number for the problem with search-links to series with foreign language characters not working? (not 5369, that was fixed in 3.6.3) My search-fu is failing me this morning.
15:44 jcamins SJeffery: there was a problem with parentheses, but searches for non-Roman characters should work on all indexes with ICU enabled.
15:49 SJeffery Hmm. A search for /cgi-bin/koha/catalogue/,phr:"Mapa metalogenetico de España e. 1:200.000 ;" gives no results found.
15:50 jcamins Hm.
15:50 jcamins Try removing the " ;" at the end?
15:50 SJeffery Just tried that, no change
15:50 jcamins Try removing the 1:200.000
15:51 SJeffery No results match your search for 'se,phr:"Mapa metalogenetico de Espa�a e."'
15:52 SJeffery If I search for just the first two words I get four results.
15:52 jcamins Does it include the results in that series?
15:52 SJeffery Yep, it includes all four results.
15:52 jcamins Okay, just checking it was bringing up the right results.
15:53 SJeffery FWIW, I don't know if it matters that at least in IE it is giving that box instead of the special character in the serps, but the URL contains the proper special character.
15:54 jcamins Ohhh.
15:54 jcamins Yes, that's important.
15:55 jcamins The record probably wasn't normalized properly.
15:55 jcamins Are you using ICU?
15:56 jcamins Sorry, that was a silly question.
15:56 jcamins If you were using ICU, I would've have had to ask it.
15:56 * jcamins catches up with himself.
15:57 jcamins Probably the thing to do is enable ICU.
15:57 jcamins (that's done server-side)
15:59 libsysguy joined #koha
16:03 melia joined #koha
16:09 SJeffery joined #koha
16:10 jcamins Wow. Vufind does alternate formats right.
16:11 SJeffery My net connection hates me. I think the last thing you said was something about UID?
16:12 jcamins ICU.
16:12 kf jcamins: we have to make koha do that too!
16:12 jcamins kf: I know.
16:12 kf (what are alternate formats?)
16:12 jcamins kf:[…]2068/Details#tabs
16:12 jcamins Look at the source.
16:12 jcamins Particularly the <link> tags.
16:13 kf oh
16:13 jcamins Beautiful, isn't it?
16:13 SJeffery I really like
16:13 oleonard jcamins: How does the user take advantage of that?
16:13 jcamins SJeffery: so the problem is the Unicode normalization. The record is normalized to have separate diacritics, which Zebra doesn't like.
16:14 jcamins (nor does IE)
16:14 jcamins It's normalized in the search, though, so it doesn't recognize the words as the same.
16:14 SJeffery Solution?
16:14 wahanui rumour has it Solution is to use the proper template syntax
16:15 SJeffery *smacks the bot upside the head*
16:16 slef wizzyrea: help! I can't upload images to the gallery any more!
16:16 slef @seen wizzyrea
16:16 huginn` slef: wizzyrea was last seen in #koha 18 hours, 37 minutes, and 55 seconds ago: * wizzyrea too
16:16 slef wahanui: forget Solution
16:16 wahanui slef: I forgot solution
16:17 slef ooh flipping heck
16:17 jcamins oleonard: it means that Endnote will Just Work if you give it a URL.
16:17 jcamins lol
16:17 jcamins There are two.
16:17 slef me bodges a temporary solution
16:17 jcamins The preferred solution is to enable ICU on the server.
16:17 jcamins Then reindex.
16:17 jcamins That will ensure that no matter what weird diacritics you might throw at it, it will work.
16:17 jcamins The other option is to renormalize.
16:17 jcamins If you open one of the records and save it, will the search start working?
16:17 jcamins (for that record only)
16:18 SJeffery Will check, need to wait for reindex job in 10 minutes
16:18 jcamins I'm pretty sure that will fix the one record.
16:19 jcamins If so, option B) is to run the touch_all_biblios script, which will correct the normalization.
16:19 SJeffery Oh hellp, I just found some enhancements we are going to take care of...1922 and 6617!
16:20 SJeffery =hello
16:21 jcamins oleonard: the other way those <link> tags are useful is that it makes it easier for me to jQuery fun features into existence which depend on having direct access to the MARCXML.
16:21 oleonard jcamins: Seems like an easy thing to add to Koha
16:22 jcamins oleonard: yes it is. It's on my to-do list.
16:22 SJeffery That did fix the one record, so the script would be the fix:)
16:22 jcamins Along with eleventy billion other things. :/
16:22 jcamins SJeffery: so the script will take care of the normalization in your current records, but you will still run into problems with searching non-Roman character sets.
16:28 druthb joined #koha
16:28 druthb left #koha
16:29 kf bug 1922
16:29 huginn` Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=1922 enhancement, P3, ---, gmcharlt, NEW , Table of Contents Tab
16:29 kf bug 6617
16:29 huginn` Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=6617 normal, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, NEW , table of contents not printing right if entered right
16:52 talljoy joined #koha
17:03 ago43 joined #koha
17:06 Oak jcamins++
17:06 jcamins Oak: what did I do?
17:07 Oak :) option a) and b) ... ICU or normalization
17:07 jcamins Ah.
17:07 Oak yup. God bless you all.
17:08 SJeffery btw, is turning on icu a big issue, or just something simple?
17:08 jcamins SJeffery: it requires a couple of configuration changes. As of 3.8, I think it's actually an option in the installer.
17:09 jcamins (it certainly is in master, but I think the change got in before 3.8, too)
17:09 bencahill joined #koha
17:10 bencahill Hey guys, I think I asked this before, but don't really remember. Will koha benefit from multiple cores?
17:11 jcamins bencahill: yes and no.
17:11 bencahill That's what I figured. :P
17:11 jcamins If you're running MySQL on the same server as Apache, you should notice pretty significant improvement when the server is busy.
17:12 jcamins If it's separate, I'm not sure it will make that much of a difference, since Koha mostly isn't CPU-bound.
17:12 bencahill jcamins: What do you mean by 'Koha mostly isn't CPU-bound'?
17:14 wizzyrea it's mostly i/o bound
17:14 jcamins bencahill: your system is probably going to run out of memory and crash before the CPU is so busy that extra cores are *needed*.
17:15 bencahill Right now, my system uses 100% CPU for requests (monitoring with top), and requests take 6-8 seconds normally.
17:15 jcamins !
17:16 bencahill It's got a P4 2.4 with 800MB (ish?) of RAM, but it never runs out of RAM, afaik.
17:16 wizzyrea oh a p4
17:16 jcamins Hmmm...
17:16 jcamins That's kind of an old processor.
17:16 bencahill Yes, I know... :P
17:17 bencahill We are planning on upgrading it, I just don't know if I should get a fast 2-core rather than a 4-core or 6-core that may not be as fast per-core...
17:17 jcamins I think I'd probably go with a 4-core rather than a 2-core.
17:18 bencahill Okay.
17:19 bencahill Is my main limiting factor right now the CPU?
17:20 wizzyrea what kind of disks do you have in this box
17:20 wizzyrea does your whole DB fit in RAM?
17:20 bencahill wizzyrea: Right now just an old IDE drive. ~2000 items/biblios
17:20 slef help! Anyone from kohacon day 2 or 3 willing to trade for a day 1 slot?
17:21 bencahill wizzyrea: I don't know, I haven't tried. :-/
17:21 * slef looks at the programme
17:21 * jcamins is day one, sorry.
17:21 wizzyrea well if size of db uncompressed < 700ish MB it would fit
17:22 slef jcamins: can I move you to day 3?
17:22 wizzyrea there might be some things you could do to tune MySQL so it ran better
17:22 bencahill Unfortunately, I don't have SSH access right now (wtf?), but I'll restore that ASAP...
17:22 jcamins slef: what time?
17:22 wahanui somebody said time was like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff. or generously donated to giving support in #koha but if you need more help faster than we can give it try
17:22 bencahill wizzyrea: gz'ed backup is 6MB
17:22 slef jcamins: same time I think... checking
17:23 slef no, 2h earlier
17:23 wizzyrea so yea it probably fits in RAM
17:24 jcamins slef: that might be a bit tricky... I think that'd be 8am.
17:24 slef jcamins: mmmm... what about 4pm day 3?
17:25 jcamins slef: that would work fine, I think.
17:26 slef kf: I'm messing up your schedule.... OK?
17:27 kf slef: eek
17:27 kf what for? :)
17:28 jcamins kf: confusing you! :P
17:28 kf jcamins: we are talking about slef... it might be...
17:28 slef kf: gbenga is unsure about day 1, asks for a later slot. So gbenga to 2pm day 3, nengard from there to 4pm day 1, jcamins from there to 4pm day 3, slef from there to 2pm day 3. OK?
17:28 kf lol
17:28 kf sounds ok
17:28 kf ask jared
17:29 kf if it's ok for him :)
17:29 jcamins That works fine for me.
17:29 slef jcamins: can you confirm?
17:29 jcamins Yup.
17:29 jcamins I was just checking my schedule.
17:29 slef ok... I warned nengard I might do this to her so hope she's OK with it too :)
17:29 jcamins She said you could move her talk to whenever you wanted.
17:30 slef I hope I recorded that somewhere :)
17:52 bag left #koha
17:52 bag joined #koha
17:59 sekjal joined #koha
18:02 jcamins sekjal: did you ever sort out your lists problem?
18:04 sekjal no, patch is still untested
18:05 sekjal suppose I should try on this machine....
18:06 jcamins sekjal: what is it you were trying?
18:06 sekjal bug 8164
18:06 huginn` Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=8164 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, gmcharlt, NEW , Replace IFNULL() with COALESCE() in all database calls
18:07 sekjal one of the areas the replacement occurs is in ShelfPossibleActions()
18:07 jcamins Oh, right.
18:09 jcamins Sorry, I swear I was paying attention.
18:09 sekjal my one laptop VM wouldn't let me add a biblio to a list from opac-detail
18:09 sekjal gave me a 404
18:09 sekjal I assume it was just a lack of good set up on my part
18:09 sekjal seems to be okay on this more robust machine
18:09 jcamins Doesn't seem like you should get a 404 no matter what your setup.
18:11 sekjal I wouldn't think so...
18:11 mib_ge870k joined #koha
18:12 libsysguy sekjal, you know im working on my proof of concept and eventually I would like to see it integrated.  IT seems rather improbable to just spend a full release cycle on migrating stuff so an incremental transition seems to be the only way to go.  My question is, what do you think the best way to integrate conflicting database changes is
18:13 * jcamins waits eagerly to hear what the options are for how to integrate conflicting database changes.
18:13 libsysguy heh
18:13 libsysguy well I am working on notices
18:13 jcamins (your message cut off after "conflicting database changes is")
18:13 libsysguy sorry, erroneous 'is'
18:13 sekjal non-linear database update
18:14 libsysguy 0_0
18:14 * libsysguy goes to the googles
18:15 sekjal I think having each db update as a file, with a common set of actions on it, would give us a lot more flexability as far as parallel developments go
18:16 libsysguy so like versioning for database
18:16 libsysguy[…]hema/
18:16 jcamins DBIx::Class::Versioned would be a good option for this, I think.
18:16 libsysguy finally I beat jcamins to something :p
18:16 jcamins That one.
18:16 sekjal bug 5837
18:16 huginn` Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=5837 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, chris, NEW , Change installer to use DBIx::Class::Schema::Versioned instead of
18:17 jcamins DBIx::Class::DeploymentHandler would be even snazzier.
18:17 libsysguy There is a catalyst plugin for both of those
18:17 jcamins Oh, wait, no, never mind.
18:17 jcamins DBIx::Class::Schema::Versioned wins, hands down.
18:18 libsysguy poor DeploymentHandler requires Moose
18:19 libsysguy which according to rangi is akin to Date::Manip :p
18:22 jcamins libsysguy: DeploymentHandler also looks like it would be a lot more complicated to start using.
18:22 libsysguy jcamins we have jenkins for deployments anyway :p
18:23 jcamins @query nonlinear
18:23 huginn` jcamins: Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=7167 enhancement, P1 - high, ---, jonathan.druart, Needs Signoff , updatedatabase improvements
18:23 jcamins ^^ there's a bug about replacing updatedatabase.
18:23 sekjal that's the one I was originally looking for
18:24 jcamins I tested it, and liked how it worked, but there were objections to the implementation.
18:24 libsysguy I need to get better at using git so I am better at testing
18:27 jcamins git?
18:27 wahanui somebody said git was[…]Control_Using_Git
18:27 jcamins wahanui: hello?
18:27 wahanui no idea, jcamins
18:27 jcamins Well, anyway, there's a good reading list on the page wahanui isn't directing you to.
18:27 libsysguy haha
18:27 libsysguy wahanui is tired
18:28 libsysguy i didn't know DBIC supported LDAP queries
18:32 kf left #koha
18:32 jcamins libsysguy: does Catalyst integrate with any particular caching framework?
18:33 libsysguy anyone or just memcache
18:33 jcamins Framework, like CHI or Cache::Cache or ...
18:34 libsysguy there is fastmap
18:34 libsysguy i think
18:34 libsysguy Cache::Fastmap
18:35 jcamins Fastmmap. That's not a framework, that's just a particular Cache.
18:35 sekjal jcamins: it's pluggable... not sure if a CHI plugin has been written or not
18:35 * jcamins has settled fairly definitely on CHI, so I don't suppose it would much matter if Catalyst used something else.
18:35 jcamins Catalyst::Plugin::CHI.
18:36 libsysguy haha
18:36 libsysguy first question :p
18:38 jcamins Though Catalyst::Plugin::Cache, which uses Cache::Cache also exists.
18:38 * libsysguy doesn't have much experience in the area of caching
18:38 libsysguy did you see this[…]yst-Plugin-Cache/
18:38 jcamins Yep.
18:39 jcamins Just read it.
18:39 libsysguy i figured that was the one you found
18:40 libsysguy i can honestly say I feel overwhelmed by the size of what I am trying to undertake lol
18:40 jcamins It would be easy to change Koha::Cache to use Catalyst::Plugin::Cache if we switch to Catalyst.
18:40 jcamins (or we could use the CHI plugin, which exists but I'm not finding in CPAN)
18:41 libsysguy i couldn't find it either
18:41 libsysguy what does CHI stand for?
18:41 jcamins Uhhh...
18:41 jcamins No idea.
18:41 libsysguy haha disregard that then
18:41 jcamins Cache Handling Interface?
18:41 jcamins Maybe?
18:43 libsysguy still can't find anythign
18:43 libsysguy boo
18:43 slef Chi River, Thailand
18:43 jcamins It doesn't really matter... as I said, it would be easy to change.
18:44 jcamins It looks like Catalyst's Cache plugin would meet my requirements, even though Cache::Cache does not.
18:44 libsysguy cool…well I'm glad I won't hose everything by proposing this
18:45 libsysguy what is it that you wanted but Cache::Cache doesn't have
18:45 rangi morning
18:46 jcamins libsysguy: support for Memcached and Fastmmap.
18:46 libsysguy morning rangi
18:46 libsysguy oh heh
18:46 libsysguy well it certainly looks like that is supported…so yayy
18:49 libsysguy so with the work that I am doing…it would be totally scrapped and we'd start with another area of koha *IF* we decided to move right?
18:50 libsysguy i don't know if i put a large enough emphasis on the if there :p
18:50 jcamins libsysguy: depends how good a job you do. :P
18:50 jcamins No pressure. :P
18:50 libsysguy heh
18:51 libsysguy well it kind of depends on what I do
18:51 libsysguy i mean, should I showcase dbix::versioning or can i just modify the database freely without worrying about integration
18:51 libsysguy i guess the real question is should I finish this with integration in mind or demo in mind
18:52 libsysguy and thanks…I already feel like if I screw this up the whole idea dies with me lol
18:52 libsysguy and there isn't much worse than killing ideas
18:52 * jcamins would go for integration, probably...
18:53 * libsysguy was afraid you'd say taht
19:00 cait joined #koha
19:00 cait1 joined #koha
19:01 cait cait1?
19:01 wahanui cait1 is not sure how much they paid :(
19:01 cait hm
19:02 jwagner cait, you're cloning yourself?
19:02 cait but I didn't intend to...
19:02 jwagner Some of the greatest scientific discoveries were made accidentally :-)  But can you replicate it?
19:03 rangi hi cait
19:03 cait hi rangi :)
19:09 cait magnuse++ :)
19:17 sophie_m left #koha
19:21 oleonard dpavlin_away++ # for lots of plack work today
19:22 cait dpavlin++
19:22 cait oleonard++ for lots of yui work :)
19:23 oleonard thanks cait I'm working on datepickers now :)
19:23 datadoctor oleonard: Yui rock!
19:23 cait oleonard: brave and awesome!
19:23 cait datadoctor: we are kicking it out ;)
19:23 datadoctor nice
19:23 oleonard That tabs patch is kind of a beast though, lots of changes. Nothing serious, but lots of minor changes.
19:24 cait perhaps split it up a bit?
19:24 cait ah, the tabs
19:27 datadoctor Viewing at the tabview page, looks complicated!
19:28 oleonard datadoctor:
19:28 oleonard We never used YUI tabs even when we used other YUI stuff.
19:28 datadoctor Oh, I like that a lot better!!
19:28 datadoctor I'm a big fan of jquery!
19:29 cait jquery++ :)
19:47 melia left #koha
19:58 mbalmer joined #koha
19:58 cait1 left #koha
20:02 jenkins_koha Starting build #34 for job Koha_3.8.x (previous build: SUCCESS)
20:15 libsysguy @later tell jcamins
20:15 huginn` libsysguy: The operation succeeded.
20:27 oleonard Have a good weekend everyone
20:31 maximep left #koha
20:36 datadoctor You too!
20:37 datadoctor See y'all!
20:56 jenkins_koha Project Koha_3.8.x build #34: UNSTABLE in 53 min: http://jenkins.koha-community.[…]ob/Koha_3.8.x/34/
20:56 jenkins_koha kyle: Bug 8140 - [SIGNED-OFF] Error when exporting label xml
20:56 huginn` Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=8140 blocker, P5 - low, ---, kyle.m.hall, Pushed to Stable , Error when exporting label xml
20:57 rangi ahh isbn in db
20:57 * rangi fixes
21:16 JesseM left #koha
21:20 rangi ohh tricky one
21:20 rangi that will need a patch
21:21 rangi[…]ngISBN/0590353403
21:21 rangi is returning diff results than it used to
21:21 cait but the test caught it :)
21:22 rangi yep, but now the test needs to be changed
21:22 rangi needs this
21:22 rangi my $isbn2 = '0684843897';
21:43 libsysguy random question.  Will there be any cpu advantage to using solr over zebra?
22:10 rangi quite the opposite
22:11 rangi unless by advantage you mean, i want to use all of it all the time :)
22:12 rangi its a big java stack
22:12 rangi its cool, but resource heavy
22:12 rangi you'd defintely want it on a sep machine for a library of decent size
22:14 rangi but the nice thing is, it's built to work like that
22:14 libsysguy that is what I was thinking
22:15 libsysguy but it seems like it would benefit partial indexes
22:16 rangi hm?
22:16 libsysguy well right now partials have to be queued and run from the cron
22:17 libsysguy but they do 'live' inserts in solr right
22:17 rangi you can do live inserts in zebra too
22:17 cait libsysguy: have you looked at the indexer from fredericd?
22:17 rangi it just holds you up
22:17 rangi hence the queue
22:18 rangi so we dont slow circ down
22:18 libsysguy i haven't cait
22:18 rangi you'd want the same idea with solr, stick it in a queue as fast as possible and do the next op and let something else get it indexed
22:19 libsysguy ohh i gotcha
22:19 cait you can run it every few seconds i think
22:19 rangi as it will surely take longer than a quick db insert
22:19 libsysguy that is the chief complaint I hear
22:19 libsysguy "we deleted something but its still showing up"
22:20 libsysguy so I preach patience :p
22:21 rangi yep try the indexer from fredericd
22:21 rangi it solves that
22:21 libsysguy interesting
22:21 rangi the limitation of the cron is its using cron :)
22:22 rangi and 1min is as low as you can go
22:22 rangi plus a hit on startup
22:22 mle_ boom
22:22 rangi the indexer runs as a daemon
22:23 rangi you take that startup hit out, and it can run faster
22:23 mle_ hands up if you are coming to auld reekie next week!
22:23 libsysguy meh we just restart to kill the memory leaks :p
22:23 mle_ hi #koha
22:23 cait auld reekie is edinburgh? then my hand goes up :)
22:23 * mle_ is in the pib, listening to an awesome gseloc musician
22:24 mle_ ack aye lassie auld reekie ye ken is embrah
22:24 rangi me!
22:24 mle_ s/pib/pib ahem
22:24 mle_ s/pib/pub even
22:24 rangi libsysguy: not that indexer, that one is hideous, the new one fredericd wrote
22:25 libsysguy oh ha
22:25 libsysguy oops
22:25 mle_ sooo who fancies having an awesone gaelic singer session on wednesday night?
22:26 * mle_ wishes he could stream realtime
22:26 cait :)
22:27 rangi sounds good
22:27 mle_ i think you wull love it. really. v excited
22:27 mle_ i am also tryong to book some gaelic lrssons for y'all
22:27 wahanui okay, mle_.
22:28 mle_ hey wahanui
22:28 mle_ looking fotward to meeting you too
22:28 cait :)
22:28 cait you don't know what you get yourself into )
22:29 mle_droid_pub hehhe
22:31 rangi @later tell paul_p ive attached a fix for the failing unit test to bug 5327
22:31 huginn` rangi: The operation succeeded.
22:31 mle_droid_pub cait yes auld reekie is embrah
22:32 cait mememe!
22:32 mle_droid_pub becuase it used to smell bad
22:32 cait ah, that's not scaring me
22:32 * cait remembers rotorua
22:32 mle_droid_pub ?
22:33 cait in nz
22:33 mle_droid_pub so i will book norri to play for us on wednesday?
22:33 mle_droid_pub i c
22:33 rangi yes!
22:34 mle_droid_pub \o/
22:35 cait :)
22:41 cait left #koha
22:58 chris_n` joined #koha

| Channels | #koha index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | plain, newest first | summary