IRC log for #koha, 2009-09-17

All times shown according to UTC.

Time S Nick Message
00:21 brendan cya in a bit #koha -- time to head home :)
00:31 collum left #koha
00:31 brendan left #koha
00:36 brendan joined #koha
00:38 Nate joined #koha
00:57 Nate left #koha
01:05 chris_n2-away is now known as chris_n2
02:03 chris_n2 owen++
02:03 chris owen++
02:38 * chris_n2 hits the hay
02:38 chris_n2 is now known as chris_n2-away
03:47 IrmaCalyx joined #koha
03:51 Amit joined #koha
03:51 Amit hi chris, brendan, richard
03:51 Amit good morning #koha
03:51 chris hi Amit
03:51 richard hola Amit
03:52 brendan hello amit
04:06 hdl_laptop joined #koha
04:16 greenmang0 joined #koha
04:18 hdl_laptop left #koha
04:18 Amit heya greenmang0
04:18 greenmang0 hoi Amit
04:19 Amit @wunder Bangalore, India
04:19 munin` Amit: The current temperature in Bangalore, India is 22.0�C (8:30 AM IST on September 17, 2009). Conditions: Haze. Humidity: 84%. Dew Point: 20.0�C.
04:22 chris[…]-dad-a-celebrity/
04:22 chris for brendan
04:23 brendan that's great --
04:24 brendan I've been to over 150 games -- never been close to a foul ball
04:28 greenmang0 @wunder mumbai
04:28 munin` greenmang0: The current temperature in Mumbai, India is 29.0�C (9:10 AM IST on September 17, 2009). Conditions: Smoke. Humidity: 74%. Dew Point: 24.0�C. Pressure: 29.86 in 1011 hPa (Steady).
04:29 brendan ah ok -- time for bed -- night #koha
04:30 chris night brendan
04:30 Amit @wunder Dehradun india
04:30 munin` Amit: The current temperature in Dehradun, India is 25.0�C (8:30 AM IST on September 17, 2009). Conditions: Haze. Humidity: 70%. Dew Point: 21.0�C. Pressure: 29.70 in 1006 hPa.
04:48 Amit @wunder New Delhi
04:48 munin` Amit: The current temperature in New Delhi, India is 30.0�C (10:00 AM IST on September 17, 2009). Conditions: Haze. Humidity: 66%. Dew Point: 23.0�C. Pressure: 29.80 in 1009 hPa (Rising).
05:04 SelfishMan left #koha
05:11 richard left #koha
05:16 SelfishMan joined #koha
05:24 magnusenger joined #koha
05:26 chris hi magnusenger
05:45 magnusenger hi chris
05:45 magnusenger congrats on not being grumpy! ;-)
05:45 chris heh
06:17 Ropuch Mrning #koha
06:36 Jo left #koha
06:54 kf joined #koha
06:59 kf good morning #koha
07:01 Ropuch hello
07:08 chris hi kf and Ropuch
07:08 paul_p2 joined #koha
07:12 chris hi paul_p2
07:12 nahuel joined #koha
07:12 nahuel la salle
07:13 chris good morning nahuel
07:13 nahuel lol
07:13 nahuel hi chris!
07:27 hdl_laptop joined #koha
07:30 kf hi chris
07:31 kf good morning nahuel
07:33 nahuel hi kf, I saw your patches ! I'm glad to saw you're beggining to contribute to the projet :)
07:33 kf I try, but you know I m not a programmer
07:34 kf we are also working on some more changes in xslt to reflect title-title-linking with $w in MARC21
07:34 kf planning to send a patch next week, but not sure if it will get into 3.2
07:35 nahuel You don't need to be a programmer :) Some typo fix are needed :)
07:35 nahuel Why not ?
07:35 kf not sure if its a new feature or a bug
07:35 kf there is a bug about 440 which will solved by that so I hope gmcharlt will add it
07:36 kf btw biblibre's offlince circulation looks really nice!
07:37 nahuel Yap, it's Jean-André Santoni who is making it :)
07:41 nicomo_laptop joined #koha
07:45 chris nicomo_laptop: can you get into pootle now?
07:45 nicomo_laptop hi chris
07:45 nicomo_laptop yes, thanks
07:45 |Lupin| joined #koha
07:45 nicomo_laptop Guess we did the same thing last time and I forgot to change the pw to something I knew
07:45 |Lupin| good day
07:46 nicomo_laptop HI |Lupin|
07:46 greenmang0 left #koha
07:46 |Lupin| hi nicomo_laptop
07:46 kf hi lupin
07:55 |Lupin| hi kf
08:02 nahuel hi |Lupin|
08:09 |Lupin| hi nahuel :)
08:17 |Lupin| hmm
08:17 |Lupin| I'm suspecting a small bug in the script
08:18 |Lupin| when the directories are created at start-up
08:18 |Lupin| shoulnd't they be chowned so that they belong to the user and group used to run koha ?
08:18 |Lupin| oh oops it's already the case, I'm sorry
08:22 Ropuch ;.
08:23 nahuel But we should make a new script, to use start-stop-daemon instead of daemon
08:24 |Lupin| nahuel: yeah and o be LSB-compliant...
08:24 |Lupin| also, there is a variable which is assigned but not used: DBNAME
08:34 greenmang0 joined #koha
08:37 Amit hi lupin, nicomo, ropuch
08:38 kf hi Amit ;)
08:39 |Lupin| hey Amit
08:39 Amit heya kf
09:04 paul_p2 left #koha
09:04 paul_p joined #koha
09:19 hdl_laptop chris pushing now a translation into english.
09:19 hdl_laptop of a valuebuilder
09:20 chris_n-2nd joined #koha
09:23 chris sweet
09:26 brendan heya #koha
09:26 Ropuch I should finish polish opac by the end of the day
09:26 chris you are awake early brendan
09:27 brendan yup -- can't sleep
09:27 chris Ropuch: very cool
09:27 brendan going to spend sometime doing some fun reading :)
09:27 Ropuch chris: we'll see: the fever is striking hard on me
09:29 chris_n left #koha
09:31 paul_p2 joined #koha
09:32 paul_p left #koha
09:39 Colin joined #koha
09:56 chris hi Colin
10:12 hdl_laptop hi Colin
10:25 Colin Hi (belatedly - was on the phone)
10:29 Colin Serials prediction patterns were sent to try us
10:30 chris heh yes
10:32 nicomo_laptop left #koha
10:32 Colin Especially when trying to generate them from data from elsewhere
10:33 madsdyd joined #koha
10:34 madsdyd Hi there. New to koha. Does koha support any self service automates? SIP2, Z3970, NCIP?
10:34 madsdyd Also, what other ILS are "competitors" to Koha? Is Evergreen the only other? What about ILS's as Biblioteq, NewGenLib, OpenBiblio, PMB/PhpMyBibli or Weblis?
10:35 chris Koha supports SIP2
10:36 chris and you can add ex libris, sirsi/dynix, millenium, polaris and all teh proprietary ILS's to your list too
10:36 madsdyd chris, thanks. And, I am only looking at Open Source solutions.
10:37 madsdyd Would you consider my list worthy competitors?
10:37 nicomo_laptop joined #koha
10:37 brendan Evergreen really isn't a competitor -- each project has some great things going on -- that's a much better way to look at it
10:37 chris yeah we only really compete against the proprietary ones
10:38 madsdyd brendan: well, perhaps competitor is the wrong term
10:38 brendan They are both open -- so you could do whatever you wanted to with each other
10:39 madsdyd I am trying to figure out what is out there. Like, in other Open Source "arenas", you know what the "big names" are. So, I *think* at this stage that Evergreen and Koha are the big names in Open Source ILS. But I would be unhappy to miss some
10:39 brendan ah...  I understand now
10:39 chris they have the most features
10:39 brendan I'd say you're correct - right now to two bigger ones are koha and evergreen
10:40 madsdyd brendan: thanks :-)
10:40 brendan err..  as chris says -- have more features ( a much nicer way to think about it )
10:42 madsdyd brendan: ok. So, if I were to say that koha has 100 features - are the others about 30,40,50? I know I am pressing my luck here, but I have spent quite some time trying to compare these systems, and it is not easy...
10:43 chris we really dont spend much time trying to figure stuff like that out
10:43 brendan The best way to test that is download both and work through your tests and your list of functional elements that you need
10:44 madsdyd ok.
10:44 madsdyd Unfortunately, my boss want this yesterday :-)
10:44 Colin They always do
10:44 madsdyd This is a preminilary analysis, btw.
10:44 madsdyd So, I am supposed to turn up 2-3 library systems, that someone else are supposed to analyze in detail
10:45 madsdyd 2-3 Open Source ... etc
10:56 Willem joined #koha
11:01 Willem left #koha
11:04 paul_p2 left #koha
11:06 magnusenger Imagine if there was something like for open source ILSs... ;-)
11:16 gmcharlt magnusenger++
11:17 Ropuch hm
11:17 gmcharlt and it would certainly be a better approach from my POV than OpenRFP
11:20 |Lupin| hi gmcharlt
11:21 kf madsdyd: perhaps look at senacan
11:21 kf senayan
11:22 kf I read a blog post about it, but had no time to take a closer look
11:22 gmcharlt hi |Lupin|
11:22 |Lupin| please all
11:22 nicomo_laptop left #koha
11:23 |Lupin| I'm wondering why KOha rules for loan can't depend on ccodes at the moment
11:23 |Lupin| is it because it would make their evaluaiton too hard, or is it because nobody has implemented this feature yet ?
11:24 gmcharlt not implemented - and it's not necessarily an obvious thing to do
11:24 gmcharlt since ccodes are just authorized values
11:24 brendan I'd agree -- I don't think I every thought to circ something via ccode
11:25 gmcharlt and there isn't a database table backing them up and prevent items from being given ccodes that aren't known to the circ rules
11:25 |Lupin| gmcharlt: ok, I understand
11:26 |Lupin| brendan: well for our library it would I think be very useful to be able to include ccodes in circulation rules
11:26 brendan that's cool
11:26 |Lupin| and honestly, I don't know how we will do without them, because item types is used for something else
11:27 gmcharlt I can see having a second level of location beyond the library code
11:27 gmcharlt maybe more
11:27 |Lupin| hmm
11:27 gmcharlt but it would need to be based on just more than an authorized value
11:28 |Lupin| gmcharlt: why ? because of the problem you have explained above of not being able to guarantee database integrity ?
11:28 gmcharlt correct
11:28 |Lupin| ok...
11:31 gmcharlt of course, were such a thing code, one could then contemplate migrating ccodes to second-level locations
11:42 madsdyd kf: Thanks - it looks quite early though
11:43 chris_n-2nd is now known as chris_n
11:43 jwagner joined #koha
11:43 chris_n g'morning #koha
11:43 brendan morning chris_n
11:44 chris_n you're up early brendan (iirc)
11:44 brendan yup :)
11:44 chris_n west coast, right?
11:44 brendan yes
11:44 brendan @wunder 93117
11:44 munin` brendan: The current temperature in Northwest Goleta, Goleta, California is 16.9�C (4:42 AM PDT on September 17, 2009). Conditions: Clear. Humidity: 84%. Dew Point: 14.0�C. Pressure: 29.87 in 1011.4 hPa (Falling).
11:45 IrmaCalyx left #koha
11:45 * chris_n re-entered the US via CA 35 years ago
11:45 chris_n and have not been there since
11:45 chris_n @wunder 28334
11:45 munin` chris_n: The current temperature in Erwin, North Carolina is 19.0�C (7:41 AM EDT on September 17, 2009). Conditions: Mostly Cloudy. Humidity: 88%. Dew Point: 17.0�C. Pressure: 30.10 in 1019 hPa (Steady).
11:45 brendan good deal  -- i just moved here last year
11:46 brendan I was from CT for most of my life
11:46 |Lupin| gmcharlt: ok, thanks a lot for your explanations
11:46 chris_n I lived in MD for awhile and had a friend from CT
11:49 Amit hi chris_n
11:56 paul_p2 joined #koha
11:56 chris_n hey Amit
11:56 chris_n and paul_p2
11:56 nicomo_laptop joined #koha
12:04 |Lupin| pls
12:05 |Lupin| is the isbd syspref used both in OPAC and staff client, or just in opac ?
12:05 jdavidb joined #koha
12:06 |Lupin| hi jdavidb
12:07 jdavidb Hi, |Lupin| ! :)
12:07 jwagner Hi everyone.
12:08 |Lupin| hello jane
12:08 gmcharlt |Lupin|: ISBD syspref is for both staff and OPAC
12:08 |Lupin| gmcharlt: ok, thanks ! it's great
12:09 |Lupin| gmcharlt: is the syntax of the syspref documented somewhere ? like what is allowed, what can be achieved, etc... ?
12:09 gmcharlt not that I know of, unless it's in the manual or BibLibre has something written up about it
12:10 |Lupin| gmcharlt: for instance for instance we have a marc field bound to ccodes, and I'de like to use both the description of the code and its value in the syspref. Is that possible ?
12:10 |Lupin| gmcharlt: so the doc is the code ? In that case I'd be happy to have a look to it if someone could point me to the relevant file
12:11 gmcharlt |Lupin|: GetISBDView in C4/
12:11 |Lupin| gmcharlt: thanks a lot !!!
12:12 Kivutar joined #koha
12:12 gmcharlt I belive {{ }} instead of { } in the syspref means to fetch the display string from the authval
12:12 |Lupin| gmcharlt: wooow ! that'd amazing. cool !
12:12 gmcharlt thank nahuel for that
12:12 |Lupin| ok, have to run, ee you laer all !
12:12 gmcharlt he's the one whose done the most work on the ISBD view of late
12:13 |Lupin| nahuel++ !
12:13 |Lupin| nahuel++ !
12:13 nahuel :)
12:13 |Lupin| till soon
12:13 |Lupin| left #koha
12:22 hdl_laptop hi
12:23 madsdyd A question about koha: It only works with a Linux server and MySQL, right?
12:23 brendan left #koha
12:25 * madsdyd has been downloading for about an hour now
12:26 gmcharlt madsdyd: pretty much correct for 3.0 and later; you can run and test it in a VM, of course
12:27 Nate joined #koha
12:28 Nate mornin ladies and gents
12:28 gmcharlt morning Nate
12:28 madsdyd gmcharlt: no problem, we are a Linux based shop
12:28 madsdyd I just need to compile a "fact sheet"
12:31 Amit left #koha
12:31 chris_n hi Nate
12:32 chris_n and gmcharlt
12:32 gmcharlt hi chris_n
12:32 Nate hey chris_n, gmcharlt
12:33 Nate finally stopped raining here in CT
12:34 chris_n and started in NC
12:34 chris_n for the next 7 days so noaa says
12:34 jdavidb We had a little rain here overnight.  Murky and gray now.
12:35 brendan joined #koha
12:37 mason hi folks, can i ask a stupid jquery Q?
12:37 mason i think i need a midnite brain-slap over here :/
12:37 gmcharlt mason: no, only genius-level questions are allowed here!
12:37 gmcharlt i.e., don't ask to ask, just ask ;)
12:38 jdavidb Ask away, mason.  Ignore gmcharlt; he's in an ornery mood.
12:38 mason yeah, good call, ok...
12:38 mason var aaa  = document.getElementById('moo');
12:38 mason this works fine...
12:38 collum joined #koha
12:39 mason and this..
12:39 mason var aaa  = $('#moo');
12:39 gmcharlt mason: some browsers' version of getElementById are broken and search on the name attribute as well as the id attribute
12:40 mason what i want is to use the *opener* document and change an id's value...
12:40 mason so , i get the opener doc just fine..
12:40 mason var doc   = opener.document;
12:40 mason now.. how to use jquery to manip it ?!?
12:41 mason this works.....
12:41 mason var bbb = doc.getElementById('moo');
12:42 gmcharlt mason: var bbb = $('#moo', doc);
12:42 mason great!, but need to use jquery - coz i have to regex the 'id'  , as it is a randomly generated id :/
12:42 mason like 'tag_300_subfield_a_99999_00000'
12:43 greenmang0_ joined #koha
12:43 gmcharlt i.e., you're passing the context of doc that you got from the opener to jquery
12:43 mason sheesh, i would have *never* discovered that syntax
12:44 mason whew , thanks for that  galen
12:46 greenmang0 left #koha
12:46 * mason backs away from the cliff
12:47 gmcharlt wow, didn't realize it was that critical! ;)
12:48 madsdyd Anyone know if newgenlib supports sip?
12:49 owen joined #koha
12:51 owen Hi all
12:52 brendan morning owen :)
12:52 jdavidb Howdy, owen. :)
12:53 schuster joined #koha
12:54 mason critical enough that ive started using obsene words as variable names :)
12:54 schuster mason - would your mother approve!
12:55 mason yeah, she a completive scrabble(tm) player
12:55 greenmang0 joined #koha
12:57 schuster Oh my - !
12:57 jdavidb Mornin', schuster. :)
12:58 greenmang0 left #koha
12:59 schuster howdy David!!  Had to throw a little texan back at ya even though it might have a little Minnesota twang...
13:01 greenmang0_ left #koha
13:01 * jdavidb hears schuster's voice in his head, saying "Howdy," and chuckles a little.
13:05 schuster Too much to do today so I'm off to digitize some more video of KohaCon09 - hopefully I'll be able to post more tonight.
13:05 jdavidb schuster++
13:07 * owen reading the logs from earlier
13:07 owen brendan, you're working with vokal?
13:08 brendan yes - we're doing support right now --
13:08 brendan Hopefully some training soon -- to get them to contribute some of their work
13:09 owen Yeah, I've been watching out of the corner of my eye, hoping that they get involved.
13:10 owen I inquired and got a nice email back from Stephanie Chase from Stowe Free Library. She sounded like they would be into community participation
13:11 brendan Currently most of their concentration is on building the consortium and getting more libraries invovled -- then onto participation
13:38 madsdyd left #koha
13:39 schuster OK showing ignorance - vokal?  What is that?  Sounds like a Vulkan thing.
13:40 Ropuch sounds like something voice-related
13:41 brendan
13:45 owen Vokal -- the Vulcan Science Directorate's official Voice-Recognition software.
13:52 paul_p2 FYI:
13:52 paul_p2 Kivutar++
13:53 owen That's exciting, paul_p2!
13:53 paul_p2 is now known as paul_p
13:54 Kivutar[…]on_firefox_plugin
13:55 gmcharlt Kivutar++
13:57 moodaepo Kivutar++
13:58 schuster Nice!++
13:58 schuster This is not the offline circ though that I had gotten from LibLime...
13:59 brendan Kivutar++
13:59 chris_n Kivutar++
14:00 schuster Technical requirements should that be 3.2 or some version of Koha for the server?
14:00 moodaepo schuster what do you mean as a novice I just remember a gtk based offline...what is this LL one you speak of?
14:02 schuster Koha Offline Circulation 1.558 - written by Kyle Hall and "adopted?" by LibLime?
14:02 nahuel munin`, help
14:02 munin` nahuel: (help [<plugin>] [<command>]) -- This command gives a useful description of what <command> does. <plugin> is only necessary if the command is in more than one plugin.
14:02 Colin Kivutar++
14:02 nahuel @kivutar++
14:02 munin` nahuel: I'll give you the answer as soon as RDA is ready
14:02 nahuel @karma Kivutar
14:02 munin` nahuel: Karma for "Kivutar" has been increased 6 times and decreased 0 times for a total karma of 6.
14:03 moodaepo schuster right I just checked and that's the one I remember seeing
14:03 nahuel @karma nahuel
14:03 munin` nahuel: Karma for "nahuel" has been increased 5 times and decreased 0 times for a total karma of 5.
14:03 nahuel :(
14:03 nahuel hehe
14:03 gmcharlt nahuel++ # happy now? ;)
14:03 nahuel yeah !
14:04 schuster left #koha
14:19 kyle joined #koha
14:35 rhcl_away is now known as rhcl
14:38 jdavidb @karma jdavidb
14:38 munin` jdavidb: Karma for "jdavidb" has been increased 3 times and decreased 0 times for a total karma of 3.
14:38 rhcl I'll be meeting with Greg Mickels tomorrow, Nebraska Project Pioneer mover and shaker, to just talk shop about there move to Koha. Anybody have any specific questions they want me to ask?
14:39 rhcl sed s/there/their
14:39 kyle hey chris, are you around?
14:39 owen Too early for chris, kyle
14:39 jdavidb Middle of the night, for him, kyle.  prolly not.
14:40 kyle good point ; )
14:40 rhcl kyle, tnx for the feedback email on the VM
14:40 kyle no problem. I'll have to roll some new ones as soon as 3.2 is out the door.
14:41 schuster joined #koha
14:49 Wizzyrea_ joined #koha
14:50 nicomo_laptop left #koha
14:50 jdavidb Mornin', Wizzyrea_!
14:50 nicomo_laptop joined #koha
14:50 Wizzyrea_ hi peeps :)
14:50 owen If it isn't The Wiz.
14:51 Wizzyrea_ lol
14:51 Wizzyrea_ how is everyone's blood pressure today?
14:51 Wizzyrea_ :)
14:52 owen it's quiet on the mailing lists, so mine's good so far.
14:52 Wizzyrea_ jim_minges++
14:52 Wizzyrea_ best...boss...ever...
14:52 Wizzyrea_ (not kidding)
14:54 jdavidb Boss bring in donuts and raises, Wizzy?
14:54 Wizzyrea_ donuts sometimes, raises as $$ available
14:54 Wizzyrea_ :P
14:55 Wizzyrea_ oh, you mean today
14:55 Wizzyrea_ heh, no
14:55 jdavidb The sincerest form of thanks a boss can give, starts with "Pay to the Order of..."      But donuts are almost as good.
14:55 Wizzyrea_ ha
14:55 jwagner_ joined #koha
14:56 Wizzyrea_ dunno, it's a pretty big deal when our boss just says "you know, you did a good job on that"
14:56 Wizzyrea_ not because he doesn't tell you, it's just you know he means it
14:56 jdavidb Oh, heck, hide!   There's two jwagners!
14:56 Wizzyrea_ OMB
14:56 Wizzyrea_ OMG
14:56 * jdavidb hides behind Wizzyrea_
14:57 Wizzyrea_ have we approached the singularity?
14:57 Wizzyrea_ are we surfing the moebius?
14:58 gmcharlt Wizzyrea_: we are if you're inviting the Office of Management and Budget here ;)
14:59 Wizzyrea_ ha
15:00 jwagner_ That's what happens when your network connection freaks out.  We have multiplying jwagners!
15:00 * jdavidb fears network hiccuping.
15:00 jdavidb If it does it while there are two, do we end up with four?
15:02 jwagner Only if my bad line of code is still in :-)
15:02 jwagner_ left #koha
15:02 Colin Maybe its a two for the price of one offer
15:02 jwagner There.  One of me is gone.  Do you feel safer now???
15:03 * jdavidb feels much safer now, thanks.
15:03 jdavidb But are you the good twin, or the evil twin?
15:03 jwagner You wait until I get back into the office tomorrow.... (pause for ominous stare)
15:04 * Wizzyrea_ raises an eyebrow
15:04 * jdavidb may just have to take the day off, to be safe.  Or bust a plumbing line in his own place.
15:04 jwagner Harrumph.
15:04 Wizzyrea_ are you looking for your sledgehammer jdavidb?
15:04 jdavidb Yis!  I loaned it to you last week...what'd you do with it?
15:05 jwagner Well, we know she didn't hit her boss with it....
15:06 Wizzyrea_, that was the holy hammer of righteousness. The one you're looking for only destroys pipes
15:06 jwagner Well, I wish it would stay away from my house.  We had an interesting day with the backhoe in my front yard yesterday.
15:07 Wizzyrea_ oh dear. did it involve things being severed that shouldn't be? perhaps an explosion?
15:07 sekjal joined #koha
15:08 Wizzyrea_ i really love how OTRS does their subdomains
15:08 Wizzyrea_,,
15:09 Wizzyrea_
15:09 jwagner No, but they had to dig pretty close to the gas lines.  I closed the doors & blinds and crossed my fingers...
15:09 Wizzyrea_ fingers in the ears "la la la"
15:09 Wizzyrea_ I can imagine :)
15:09 jwagner The only real casualty of the day was my checkbook :-(
15:09 sekjal hey, everyone, I'm having a bit of crisis.  We are unable to add items to Koha.
15:10 sekjal its not an indexing issue; I've double checked on that
15:10 sekjal the item record simply doesn't "take" when I click "Add Item"
15:10 sekjal tried it on multiple browsers and with multiple user accounts
15:10 sekjal anyone run into this before?
15:11 jwagner Is it just that title, or all titles?
15:11 Wizzyrea_ can you do other things that change the DB?
15:11 Wizzyrea_ (checkin, checkout)
15:11 Wizzyrea_ (place holds)
15:11 sekjal we've noticed it with two separate titles
15:11 sekjal circulation, serials, and patron loading work fine
15:11 Wizzyrea_ k
15:12 sekjal we have successfully deleted an item
15:12 Colin anything turning up in the apache logs?
15:12 Wizzyrea_ very odd
15:12 Wizzyrea_ user in question has permissions?
15:12 sekjal and I can edit items
15:13 sekjal yes, all the user accounts I've tried have permissions.  even used kohaadmin
15:13 sekjal Colin: I checked the koha error logs, but not apache.  doing so now...
15:14 jwagner I've had that problem, but only when we were adding new development code into a code bundle, and there was a conflict.  Have you been doing anything with the code? If you're on a local branch, can you add an item if you switch back to master?
15:15 sekjal I've made all of two code edits since we migrated, and they were primarily for OPAC display
15:17 Ropuch sekjal: so? enything in the logs?
15:17 rhcl out of disk space? (the other stuff probably wouldn't work if you were out of space though)
15:18 Ropuch /cgi-bin/koha/cataloguing/
15:18 sekjal can't get into /var/log/apache2.  permission denied
15:19 sekjal works fine on my test system
15:19 Ropuch Try to open that url with desired biblionumber
15:19 sekjal which is the same code, in theory
15:19 sekjal biblio displays fine in both the OPAC and the staff client
15:19 Ropuch maybe it's just a minor tmpl typo
15:19 sekjal the records are not getting into the DB.  Went in manually to check
15:20 Ropuch But you can save them?
15:21 sekjal after filling out the new item form at /cgi-bin/koha/cataloguing/, and clicking "Add Item", I get thrown returned to the screen, but with no record of the item being added
15:21 Wizzyrea_ do you have anything in your intranetuserjs that might be affecting it?
15:21 sekjal nothing new record is added to the items table
15:21 Colin But an edit to an existing item is saved?
15:22 sekjal we haven't gotten any JS written yet
15:22 sekjal yes, I can edit existing record's details
15:22 sekjal which makes me think that somehow the itemnumber assignment is the problem... perhaps....?
15:25 Colin Do you autogenerate barcodes??
15:26 sekjal we do not.  we manually assign
15:27 chris_n sekjal: what do the logs say?
15:27 chris_n ie. apache error.log
15:27 chris_n or koha-error_log
15:28 chris_n sekjal: maybe sudo tail /var/log/apache2/error.log
15:28 hdl_laptop left #koha
15:28 chris_n to overcome the permission issue
15:30 sekjal apache2/error.log shows nothing significant
15:30 Wizzyrea_ did it work yesterday?
15:31 sekjal I don't think so
15:31 chris_n hrmm... db errors should show up in the log
15:31 sekjal but we only started adding items yesterday evening, and I didn't turn on indexing until today
15:31 sekjal took a second look at koha-error.log
15:32 chris_n sekjal: do you have a cron job running occasionally?
15:32 sekjal getting things related to
15:32 sekjal so, I think this is my fault
15:32 sekjal chris_n: yes, every 3 minutes
15:32 schuster URL checker - I don't see this documented anywhere? other than in cron jobs - where does the output go?
15:32 schuster - ??
15:35 sekjal fixed a MARC framework error in 999, retried, still not working
15:35 sekjal ok, yes, I am generating errors in koha-error.log
15:36 chris_n maybe a clue is there
15:36 sekjal I think so
15:36 sekjal alright, I have to go to a meeting
15:37 sekjal I'll look at this more when I'm back
15:37 sekjal thank you all so much for your assistance
15:37 sekjal this is one of the many reasons why I love being part of this community
15:37 sekjal be back later
15:41 * chris_n re-invents photoshop(tm) inside of the Koha Patron Card Creator... :-P
15:43 owen chris_n: I'm sure some patrons would like a little Guassian Blur to be applied to their photos
15:43 owen Oooh, and lens flare!
15:44 schuster Get the red out
15:44 brendan One thing that I love about the new Photoshop is they have a colorblind button/filter with it
15:44 brendan one time I was editing a picture and there was a red circle around the sun -- and I couldn't see it
15:45 brendan flipped the switch -- I saw the circle was able to remove it -- then I switched back to normal color -- and it was gone for most normal people
15:45 chris_n owen: lol!
15:46 owen Or how about this?[…]slim-cameras.html
15:47 chris_n $patron_image->total_make_over(look_like => 'your-wish-goes-here');
15:49 chris_n interesting to say the least
16:23 nicomo_laptop left #koha
16:24 Kivutar left #koha
16:28 nahuel left #koha
16:32 Colin left #koha
16:34 paul_p left #koha
16:34 jdavidb hm.  this is a puzzler.  I have a customization that one of my customers did before we got 'em--possibly snagged from somewhere else--to purge off Serial Solutions records.  it has a really, really inefficient-sounding search in it:
16:35 jdavidb SELECT <flds> from biblioitems where marcxml like '%<controlfield tag="003">WaSeSS</controlfield>%';
16:35 jdavidb That just sounds painful, and sure enough, it dies on timeout.  Anyone know a better way to do that?
16:47 gmcharlt jdavidb: index the 003 in Zebra
16:48 jdavidb Mmm...then do a zebra search in the backfield to find the records.    yea, that would work, but it'd be a bit of geekery to make it go.
16:50 gmcharlt an alternative might be creating a special table with an insert/update trigger on bibliotiems that populates it with the value of the 003 taken via the ExtractValue() function
16:50 gmcharlt then index tthat
16:50 gmcharlt could be a general mechanism
16:51 gmcharlt another appraoch would be via MARC frameworks and mapping the 003 to a disused biblio or biblioitems column
16:51 jdavidb Ah-hah.  That may be the best to get 'em to populate, after changing that?
16:52 gmcharlt one of the scripts in misc does that IIRC
16:52 jdavidb k
16:57 jdavidb Hm.  Since the query done baldly against MySQL took just under five minutes to tell me "0 rows", I'm thinking the right answer is Then Don't Do That.
17:01 kf left #koha
17:15 chris_n lunch
17:17 Wizzyrea_ left #koha
17:32 jwagner_ joined #koha
17:37 sekjal back.  still can't get Add Item to work.
17:38 sekjal the error I found in koha-error.log was for a bad framework decision, which I've fixed.  this has not resolved my issue, unfortunately
17:49 brendan get some TNT -- sekjal
17:49 sekjal brendan: I'm thinking maybe lunch.  I don't know if I have sufficent blood sugar to solve this right now
17:58 Wizzyrea_ joined #koha
17:59 owen_ joined #koha
17:59 owen left #koha
17:59 owen_ is now known as owen
18:00 jwagner__ joined #koha
18:00 * chris_n pays expensive tuition to learn about autoloader and autosplit... :-P
18:00 jwagner_ left #koha
18:12 chris morning
18:12 sekjal morning, chris
18:13 jdavidb left #koha
18:15 jwagner__ left #koha
18:22 chris_n howdy chris
18:23 jwagner morning chris
18:29 sekjal alright, Add Item issue resolved
18:29 chris_n sekjal: what was it?
18:29 chris hmmm im a bad man
18:29 sekjal lesson: do not create your own template in parallel to 'prog'.  Just use git to manage your local changes
18:30 sekjal your template will quickly desynchronize after even the minorest of upgrades
18:33 IrmaCalyx joined #koha
18:37 chris_n @define bad
18:37 munin` chris_n: I've exhausted my database of quotes
18:37 chris_n @dict bad
18:37 munin` chris_n: foldoc, gcide, wn, jargon, vera, and moby-thes responded: vera: BAD Broken As Designed (slang); gcide: Bad \Bad\ (b[a^]d), imp. of {Bid}. Bade. [Obs.] --Dryden. [1913 Webster]; foldoc: BAD /B-A-D/ Broken As Designed, a play on "{working as designed}", from {IBM}. Failing because of bad design and misfeatures rather than because of bugs. [{Jargon File}] (2002-04-14); jargon: BAD /B-A-D/ adj. (25 more messages)
18:38 chris :)
18:39 chris chris_n: foisting marc questions off on biblibre or galen or joe :-)
18:39 chris_n and giving out historical truths in the process
18:39 chris_n definitely bad
18:40 chris heh
18:42 Wizzyrea_ sekjal: I have SO been there
18:44 chris_n @quote random
18:44 munin` chris_n: Quote #25: "<wizzyrea> ha, in #koha we don't pick each other's brains... we git pull them." (added by gmcharlt at 07:40 PM, August 14, 2009)
18:44 chris_n lol
18:45 sekjal it seemed like a good idea at the time....
18:49 sekjal left #koha
18:58 jwagner @quote add <sekjal> it seemed like a good idea at the time....
18:58 munin` jwagner: The operation succeeded.  Quote #35 added.
19:04 IrmaCalyx left #koha
19:16 * chris wanders off for coffee bbiab
19:22 sekjal joined #koha
19:25 schuster Question about 3.2 - will there be bib merging?  I've seen things flying around, just can't remember.  Right now I found 7 records exactly the same - but each have items attached.
19:31 jwagner @quote 35
19:31 munin` jwagner: downloading the Perl source
19:31 gmcharlt schuster: yes, I believe so
19:31 jwagner @quote #35
19:31 munin` jwagner: I'll give you the answer as soon as RDA is ready
19:31 gmcharlt @quote get 35
19:31 munin` gmcharlt: Quote #35: "<sekjal> it seemed like a good idea at the time...." (added by jwagner at 06:58 PM, September 17, 2009)
19:31 sekjal lol
19:31 jwagner Thanks, Galen.  Since sekjal just rejoined...
19:33 sekjal found the blue.css for the staff client.  not too bad
19:33 Wizzyrea_ @quote random
19:33 munin` Wizzyrea_: Quote #3: "< bignose-work> the only constant in climate over the next several decades will be that the climate doesn't match what you just got used to." (added by chris at 01:55 AM, June 12, 2009)
19:34 Wizzyrea_ oh snap, we don't see that one often
19:35 sekjal I had multiple requests to do something a little less harsh on the eyes, and that would more clearly differentiate staff client from OPAC
19:40 chris sekjal: you should ask the vokal people if they wouldnt mind sharing their css
19:40 chris their staff client is very pretty
19:40 owen Where have you seen it chris?
19:41 brendan
19:41 brendan beatcha to it chris
19:41 chris how the heck did amy schuler get 3.0.2 runnong on windows?
19:42 chris_n betcha its vbox or vmachine
19:42 chris gotta be
19:45 chris @seen kyle
19:45 munin` chris: kyle was last seen in #koha 5 hours, 4 minutes, and 18 seconds ago: <kyle> no problem. I'll have to roll some new ones as soon as 3.2 is out the door.
19:45 chris_n vokal++ # for the nice staff interface mods
19:46 Ropuch Hm, I'm using gtranslator and some some entries 'extracted comments; in form "%1$s: TMPL_VAR name=title %2$s: TMPL_VAR name=author", which are very helpfull
19:46 Ropuch Are those comments added by hand, or autogenerated?
19:46 chris i know kapiti used to have different colours, green was producton red was DR, so that the staff wouldnt use the wrong one :)
19:47 * owen doesn't see where the staff interface mods are
19:47 chris go to the staff templates
19:47 chris then there is screenshot
19:48 chris i saw a better one somewhere, i cant recall where though
19:48 chris im fairly sure it is just css mods
19:48 gmcharlt blue.css
19:48 chris brendan can ping them about it at the meeting :)
19:48 rhcl We've been trying to get the Koha image running on VMWare player on Win 2003 server--no dice. Put it on OpenSuse and it fired right up.
19:49 chris free software wins again
19:49 chris :)
19:50 chris ok time to catch my bus, i will be back in an hour or so, have a good evening for anyone who is off before then
19:50 rhcl The IP address issue was a dead end for us--just couldn't get it set using static IP addresses in Windows. Probably the fault of the VMWare player more than the Koha image.
19:51 * owen figures out ZoneAlarm was blocking the widget from loading
19:52 owen Hmm, a new icon set too
20:00 Ropuch I've just installed 3.00.4 and when trying to view biblio detail in opac get Global symbol "$aws_ref" requires explicit package name at /usr/share/koha/lib/C4/External/ line 85.
20:01 Ropuch switching to one from 3.00.3 solves the problem - should I subbmit a bug?
20:03 jwagner left #koha
20:06 collum left #koha
20:08 owen Ropuch: If you don't get an answer here, submit the bug. If it's not really a bug at least someone can tell you why when they close it
20:09 Ropuch Hm, I don't know perl, but just googled it
20:10 Ropuch After ading 'my $aws_ref;' the problem is gone, so i consider this a mere typo
20:10 Ropuch I promise I'll read perl tutorial eventually
20:10 Ropuch ;>
20:17 sekjal I'm almost ready to publish my migration tools for Millennium to Koha
20:17 brendan sekjal++
20:17 sekjal just doing some documentation and cleanup
20:17 sekjal I've got a tester in CA who has been very helpful
20:24 schuster I suspect there are a couple of people from CA on Millennium who would be interested based on individuals that attended KohaCon09...  Their biggest problem was getting the item and bib info on the MARC extraction.
20:26 sekjal schuster: I think we're talking about some of the same folks
20:29 owen left #koha
20:29 schuster Probably...;)
20:34 chris back
20:35 chris Ropuch: yep, submit the bug .. 3.0.4 isnt released yet, so we love having you testing it
20:35 chris any bugs you spot mean we can fix them up before the release
20:38 Ropuch chris: actually is two-keystroke fix
20:39 Ropuch But ok, let mi submit my first bug
20:39 sekjal time to head home. until tomorrow!
20:39 Ropuch Is Benedykt Barszcz still active on koha?
20:39 chris not for a while
20:40 sekjal left #koha
20:40 chris Ropuch: you could attach the fix to the bug that would be excellent
20:40 chris or you could even send a patch
20:40 Ropuch I think I'll mail him
20:40 Ropuch chris: i *really* don't know perl, and I'm not familiar with git yet
20:40 richard joined #koha
20:41 richard good morning
20:41 Ropuch I'll post the 'solution', but I don't know, if it's safe, just know it's working ;>
20:41 Ropuch Seems like skipped my with
20:42 Ropuch use strict
20:43 chris cool
20:43 chris yeah should always use my
20:43 chris sounds like your solution is right
20:47 Ropuch Hm, I've never used bugzilla before - what should i type into 'Assign to' instead of jmf@liblime?
20:49 gmcharlt Ropuch: yourself, if you're fixing it
20:49 gmcharlt otherwise (having not read scrollback yet) if it's a 3.0.x bug, hdl or chris
20:50 chris_n we really need to purge the db structure of default NULLs
20:52 * chris_n pushes today's work to his public repo and heads out
20:54 Nate left #koha
20:59 mason left #koha
21:02 Wizzyrea_ who has admin over those assignments on bugzilla?
21:04 Ropuch Hm, how can i submit a patch? Can i simply ask for fix in bug description (till I learn git)?
21:05 chris yep thats fine Ropuch
21:06 chris awesome!!!
21:07 * chris just got given a $130 ticket to go to a luncheon today
21:08 schuster[…]portingfornewbies
21:08 chris schuster++
21:08 schuster That will help filling out bugs putting in enhancements
21:08 Ropuch schuster: I've already read that [;
21:08 Ropuch Ok, done
21:10 schuster It defaults to someone unless you have a specific developer you want assigned to it.
21:10 Wizzyrea_ right, who admins those defaults
21:10 Wizzyrea_ who says who is the default
21:11 chris i used to be able to
21:11 Wizzyrea_ there may need to be some revision there
21:11 chris ill see if i can still
21:12 schuster Night all - another night of american 8 year old football practice in the rain...  My son LOVES it - muddy as ever.
21:13 brendan night schuster
21:13 schuster left #koha
21:13 Ropuch It'm time for me too - good nigh
21:15 chris Wizzyrea_: yes i still can
21:16 chris whatcha reckon needs changing?
21:16 Wizzyrea_ well... the opac section goes to a person that isn't really involved
21:16 Wizzyrea_ I wonder if owen would be willing to be the go-to guy for OPAC stuff
21:17 Wizzyrea_ aw, but he's not here
21:17 chris hmm i guess we should ask him first
21:17 Wizzyrea_ yea probably
21:17 Wizzyrea_ i mean, the person in the default gets a notify when a new bug is added, correct?
21:17 Wizzyrea_ so you probably want someone there who is... erm... engaged
21:18 chris yes, yes you do
21:18 chris it also goes to the koha-bugs mailing list
21:18 chris but that is quite high traffic so easy to be missed
21:45 Wizzyrea_ left #koha
21:53 Wizzyrea_ joined #koha
21:59 Wizzyrea_ *yawn*
21:59 chris heh
22:06 * chris_n2-away relaxes by working on some photos of lighthouses
22:06 chris_n2-away is now known as chris_n2
22:07 chris_n2
22:08 Wizzyrea_ you take those?
22:11 Wizzyrea_ (pretty cool, if you ask me)
22:11 chris_n2 Wizzyrea_: yup
22:11 Wizzyrea_ verra niiice
22:11 chris_n2 tnx
22:27 mason joined #koha
22:36 Jo joined #koha
22:36 Jo morning all
22:37 chris hi Jo
22:41 chris_n2 hello Jo
22:43 chris Jo: looks like ben took your advice and got involved on the mailing list
22:47 Wizzyrea_ I was excited
22:48 Jo me too!
22:48 Jo Good for him :)
22:48 Jo i wrote a friendly email to him to say welcome
22:48 mason morning girls
22:49 richard hola mason and jo
22:49 mason heya richard
22:50 Jo heya
22:51 chris richard:
22:51 richard tha nks
22:52 mason oooh, nice layout!
22:52 chris ill probably mostly be at the barcamp
22:55 mason /me registers
22:56 rhcl is now known as rhcl_out
22:58 mason could be a good chance for me to put up my SCIS stuff before SLANZA
23:01 * richard looks up scis :)
23:01 mason
23:02 richard yup that was where i was
23:05 Wizzyrea_ I wrote him a note too, jo. :)
23:05 Wizzyrea_ figured all the welcome possible was probably better
23:05 chris was yours offlist Jo?
23:25 davi If nobody realize such replace "foundation" by "association or foundation" at[…]etingnotes09sep15 and[…]aheldbyfoundation  thenI will do it tomorrow, because we should not forget the association option got 10 votes in favor versus 6 against. That is to say more 60% in favor at[…]=bubb4xrqs54qgpwx
23:26 chris dont replace anything
23:26 davi ok
23:26 chris wait until the official poll is announced
23:26 chris and people vote
23:26 davi ack
23:26 chris we have to actually tell people about it
23:26 davi I fear the current wiki seems be promoting foundation
23:27 davi option
23:27 chris one of the options will be association or foundation
23:27 chris lets just wait
23:27 davi good good
23:27 chris ps, hows the public git repo coming along?
23:28 davi slef installed the Git server yesterday I think
23:28 chris excellent
23:28 davi yep, we are slow but sure
23:30 davi night
23:30 chris cya later
23:32 chris_n2 g'nigh davi
23:32 chris_n2 night also
23:32 chris_n2 @spellcheck
23:32 munin` chris_n2: I suck
23:36 Jo yep offlist
23:38 chris cool
23:39 chris ok, im off to this lunch thingy
23:44 Wizzyrea_ left #koha
23:45 Wizzyrea_ joined #koha

| Channels | #koha index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | plain, newest first | summary