IRC log for #koha, 2023-02-23

All times shown according to UTC.

Time S Nick Message
00:15 cait joined #koha
03:55 bag joined #koha
06:01 fridolin joined #koha
07:07 magnuse \o/
07:22 thibaud_g joined #koha
07:35 alex_ joined #koha
07:35 alex_ Bonjour
07:54 Joubu @later tell tcohen "Cypress dir moved to /var/lib/koha/kohadev/.cache/" this step is taking too long!?
07:54 huginn Joubu: The operation succeeded.
07:55 Joubu @later tell tcohen Why is that done at startup time actually?
07:55 huginn Joubu: The operation succeeded.
08:02 cait joined #koha
08:31 cait joined #koha
08:47 cait hello #koha!
09:00 paulderscheid[m] Morning #koha
09:04 magnuse \o/
09:12 PedroAmorim[m] good morning
09:28 cait nice :)
09:34 cait Joubu++ thx
09:49 fridolin left #koha
10:29 tcohen morning everyone
10:30 cait Joubu++ # QA'ing my patches!
10:30 cait mornig tcohen
10:30 cait push all the things please :P
10:31 Joubu make jenkins happy first
10:32 tcohen Joubu: it is done at startup time because that's when there's an instance user
10:32 tcohen we could try using a symlink instead
10:32 tcohen and chowning during build
10:32 tcohen to the 1000 user, and only re-chown if the LOCAL_USER_ID differs
10:33 tcohen but my internet connection made it hard to build locally and test
10:33 tcohen PR welcome
10:33 tcohen my goal was for cypress to work out of the box
10:45 cait Joubu: I think you are forgetting to add your signoff line
10:45 cait see bug 32492
10:45 huginn Bug https://bugs.koha-community.or[…]_bug.cgi?id=32492 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, katrin.fischer, Passed QA , Improve mark-up of OPAC messaging table to ease customization
10:45 cait maybe others too
10:51 Joubu thanks, fixed
10:52 Joubu bug 32706 - are we supposed to deal with branchcode 'cpl' and 'CPL'?
10:52 huginn Bug https://bugs.koha-community.or[…]_bug.cgi?id=32706 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, hammat.wele, Signed Off , User search problem caused by branchcode errors
10:55 tcohen we should stop using the ci collation...
10:55 tcohen but I'm not entering that rabbit hole this season
10:55 tcohen haha
10:56 cait yes and no...
10:56 cait for the places we have SQL search it's useful
10:56 cait SQL based search
10:57 cait but yeah...
10:57 tcohen if you really need to search case-insensitive, there are syntaxes to say so
10:58 cait yeah, but not just a matter of changing the table collation
10:58 cait also need to rethink all our searches
10:58 cait so yes, ignore that rabbit hole :)
11:02 cait I'll try to catch up on my patches and mistakes tonight
11:02 Joubu but you didn't answer the question :D
11:02 cait right now got to write some specs
11:02 cait which question?
11:03 tcohen cpl vs CPL
11:03 cait I commented on the bug
11:03 cait we just pushed the same fix on the same page for category codes from kidclamp
11:04 cait seems wrong to let one in and keep the other out
11:04 cait I had asked the data question there as we ll
11:04 cait bug 32517
11:04 huginn Bug https://bugs.koha-community.or[…]_bug.cgi?id=32517 major, P5 - low, ---, nick, Pushed to stable , Patron search dies on case mismatch of patron category
11:05 cait the problem is, SQL doesn't care, but Perl does
11:05 cait we have had issues with wrong branchcodes that got in through offline-circulation (this has been mostly fixed by the plugin getting valid brnchcodes now) - they could not be processed. so ifyou have bad data, it's probably going to be a problem in lots of places
11:06 cait I think we should push this patch but still not make this a general thing - it's hiding issues
11:11 Joubu it's not Koha job to deal with incorrect migration...
11:23 cait maybe we shoudl put these kinds of checks on the sytsem infrmation
11:23 cait people are not likely to run the scripts
11:23 cait or make some kind of report, like the framework test
11:24 Joubu if you migrate data then you should run the script
11:24 cait this is not oly migration issues
11:24 cait think of the item type one
11:24 cait we had years and yeas of this not being a mandatory field
11:24 cait it's still not a mandatory field of you are using item-level itypes
11:24 cait .. on record
11:24 Joubu my point is: fix the data, don't expect the software to deal with all the possible inconsistencies everywhere
11:24 Joubu that's impossible
11:25 Joubu it opens the door to everything
11:25 cait I don't disagree with you
11:25 cait i just say we need to make it easier for libraries to find an fix
11:25 Joubu be strict with the data, fix in DB upgrade or during the import, and have a script to catch them
11:25 cait if we have just the patron search explode, we'll get mails on the mailing list
11:25 Joubu but we should not deal with them in tempaltes, that's completely silly
11:25 cait if we can say: hey, check this page for data issues, it will be a lot easier
11:26 cait a command line script is nice, but already a big hurdle for a lot of libraries
11:26 cait lunch time :)
11:39 oleonard o/
12:05 tcohen mtj: can you let me know how you add nodejs into your build pipeline?
12:05 tcohen so we add to koha-dpkg-docker?
12:06 tcohen so far, the build is not working for master, but stable is working flawlessly
12:24 alex_ joined #koha
13:01 lukeg joined #koha
13:09 marcelr joined #koha
13:09 marcelr o/
13:12 marcelr bug 32426 is ready for testing please
13:12 huginn Bug https://bugs.koha-community.or[…]_bug.cgi?id=32426 enhancement, P5 - low, ---,, Needs Signoff , Allow plugin to generate userid when creating patrons
14:03 Dyrcona joined #koha
14:24 marie-luce joined #koha
14:26 Joubu kidclamp: do you see a good reason to log before the exp date is modified? https://bugs.koha-community.or[…]ent.cgi?id=145588
14:32 caroline Question about https://wiki.koha-community.or[…]ontinent_rotation
14:33 caroline "KohaCon shall not be held in the same continent within three years." Does that mean Continent A can apply after two or three? (Continent A, Continent B, Continent C then Continent A?)
14:34 caroline or Continent A, Continent B, Continent C, Continent D and THEN Continent A?
14:35 caroline (trying to figure out if Asia can host 2024)
14:36 Joubu in my understanding it's A, B, C, possibly A, etc.
14:37 caroline thanks Joubu!
14:47 caroline tuxayo (or anyone) want to review this before I send it? https://wiki.koha-community.or[…]haCon24_Proposals
14:49 dpk joined #koha
14:50 caroline also tuxayo, https://wiki.koha-community.or[…]ting_5_April_2023 does not exist, can I copy the previous page manually, or it should be created by script only?
15:02 JesseM__ joined #koha
15:05 oleonard joined #koha
15:15 Dyrcona joined #koha
15:32 caroline fine vs charge added to terminology list
15:32 caroline Sorry for the formatting, I couldn't find how to indent the paragraph with the new wiki interface...
15:55 marie-luce joined #koha
16:08 thibaud_g joined #koha
16:10 oleonard joined #koha
16:38 frank_ joined #koha
16:38 frank_ Hi!
16:39 frank_ Does anyone know how I can show the not for loan reason on OPAC detail pages?
16:39 frank_ They do show up when searching but not on the individual pages.
16:41 oleonard Looks like that is a know bug, frank_ : Bug 32611
16:41 huginn Bug https://bugs.koha-community.or[…]_bug.cgi?id=32611 normal, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, NEW , Not for loan items don't show the specific not for loan value in OPAC detail page
16:48 frank_ Thant might be it. Is there some workaround? We have a lot of items that are marked as not for loan but where a hold can be placed on them and this relies on the text to tell patrons to place a hold.
16:51 oleonard Not that I know of. I think I can have a patch submitted today though
16:55 frank_ That would be nice! Thanks!
16:59 oleonard I wonder if it's correct that items.restricted isn't shown unless the item is also not for loan...
17:04 caroline oleonard, here's what I had... In the OPAC search, restricted items are marked as available and in the holdings table, the restricted status is supposed to show[…]#use-restrictions
17:04 cait left #koha
17:04 caroline Not saying that's what it should be, but it was like that when I wrote that section... last year?
17:09 oleonard caroline right now the OPAC holdings table only shows the restricted status if the item is *also* not for loan which I don't think is correct.
17:10 caroline oleonard, no I don't think so...
17:11 caroline maybe a regression from bug27272 ?
17:11 caroline bug 27272
17:11 huginn Bug https://bugs.koha-community.or[…]_bug.cgi?id=27272 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart+koha, RESOLVED FIXED, Move C4::Items::GetItemsInfo to Koha namespace
17:12 caroline it caused bug 32445 which is maybe similar?
17:12 huginn Bug https://bugs.koha-community.or[…]_bug.cgi?id=32445 critical, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart+koha, Pushed to stable , Status display of 'not for loan' items is broken in OPAC/staff
17:30 Gues__________________________ joined #koha
17:32 dpk_ joined #koha
17:36 fridolin joined #koha
18:19 kidclamp joined #koha
18:30 cait joined #koha
18:31 cait joined #koha
18:36 oleonard joined #koha
20:51 cait oleonard-away: around?
20:51 cait hm probably not
20:55 cait did we break yarn build with latest changes?
20:55 cait yarn run v1.22.19
20:55 cait $ yarn css:build && yarn js:build
20:55 cait $ gulp css && gulp css --view opac
20:55 cait [20:55:17] Using gulpfile /kohadevbox/koha/gulpfile.js
20:55 cait [20:55:17] Starting 'css'...
20:55 cait [20:55:17] 'css' errored after 3.59 ms
20:55 cait [20:55:17] TypeError: sass is not a function
20:55 cait tcohen: ?
20:56 cait this is images from tonight, freshly built ktd
20:59 cait it worked after a previous yarn install
21:19 oleonard joined #koha
21:19 oleonard Joubu are you around?
21:23 ashimema You shouldn't need to yarn install at all cait
21:23 ashimema The ktd image includes all dependencies
21:24 ashimema In fact,,, running a yarn install will grab all new versions of dependencies rather than the pinned versions
21:25 cait i know, bu tit didn't work
21:25 cait i pulled latest ktd, ktd down... ktd pull, ktd up
21:25 ashimema Grr
21:25 cait this at least allowed me to review for any missed ui-tabs which was th emain purpose
21:26 * ashimema is tired
21:26 * cait sends ashimema cookies and a hot cup of tea
21:26 cait breath :)
21:30 cait oleonard: around now? :)
21:30 oleonard Yes
21:30 cait i have a small change to suggest for the ne serial search
21:30 oleonard Fire away
21:30 cait just checking with you first
21:30 cait when you've done some search
21:30 cait and see the result list in main
21:30 cait on he left we have first the nav then the filters
21:31 cait i think to be consistent with other pages it should be filters first
21:31 cait like on suggestions
21:31 cait or tools > tags
21:31 oleonard I was thinking that too and checked to see whether the patch changed it.
21:31 cait oh you are right!
21:31 cait it's like that before...
21:31 cait should we maybe still turn it around in a follow up?
21:32 cait it says improve search...
21:32 oleonard But you're right that it should be reversed
21:32 oleonard I think adding to that bug makes sense
21:33 cait ok, I'll have a look
21:33 cait should not be hard, right? :)
21:33 oleonard cait maybe I could ask you a question too
21:33 cait sure!
21:33 oleonard Bug 33000
21:33 huginn Bug https://bugs.koha-community.or[…]_bug.cgi?id=33000 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, ASSIGNED , Use template wrapper for breadcrumbs: Acquisitions part 1
21:34 cait oh acq, what is the question?
21:34 oleonard Comment 3, the first part of Joubu's message
21:34 oleonard He's talking about trying to reduce issues with translation by wrapping parts of breadcrumbs in <span>
21:34 oleonard I'm not really clear on when that is necessary
21:35 cait checking
21:36 cait the translation scrpits are guided by html tags
21:36 cait if you have a of text and logic within one HTML tag, it will pull it all out as one string
21:36 cait and all the IF ELSE will get turned into %s
21:36 cait creating something like this: "%s %s Contract deleted %s %s %s %s Contracts %s %s %s %s "
21:37 cait if you wrap them in span, that will break them up
21:37 cait the %s won't get into any strings and you just get "Contract deleted" and "Contracts"
21:37 cait as 2 separate strings
21:37 cait he is right I think
21:38 cait but it means I'll have to translate all these a third time if we change it
21:38 cait first german translation - when we reversed the sequence... when we broke them up
21:39 oleonard So in the example, at line 85 you would wrap that text in a <span>?
21:39 cait no line numbers in bugzilla
21:39 cait can you copy th eline?
21:40 oleonard[…]
21:40 cait hm i wanted to show you on translate, but it seems to have issues right now
21:41 cait this one might actually be ok
21:41 cait it's in an a tag
21:41 cait that will create a string
21:42 cait hm and within a li
21:42 cait they shoudl all be ok
21:42 cait hmmm
21:43 oleonard So right now we must have lots of issues with TT logic and text inside the <title> tag
21:43 cait yeah
21:43 cait let me check if i can find samples in the po files
21:43 oleonard I'm looking at a po file now and I can see the title tag mess
21:43 cait the %s make it more dangeorus .... easier to make mistakes
21:44 cait if yo umiss one and the RMaints don't fix it the whole language might be broken
21:44 cait %s Batch %s &rsaquo; %s Manage staged MARC records &rsaquo; Cataloging &rsaquo; Koha␠
21:44 cait I sometimes like the context... but I know it's a 2 sided thing
21:44 cait if we had wrapped Cataloging here, I'd have to only translate it once for all Koha
21:45 cait by creating a unique string, we have tons of context... but lots more to type and to make mistakes with
21:45 caroline It's also useful to have %s when the order needs to change
21:46 cait yes, if the % are variables within a sentence, don't wrap the before and after
21:46 cait like... Delete this [%library%]?
21:46 oleonard It feels like it's a miracle that Koha gets translated at all.
21:46 cait then we want the whole thing in an HTML tag
21:46 cait and it will come out as Delete this %s?
21:46 caroline they got a bit zealous with the wrapping at one point
21:46 cait and we can move %s
21:46 cait Diese %s löschen? in German for example, I'd move it before the verb
21:47 cait but there are really bad ones
21:48 cait I think i have spent more than 10 minuts looking for a missing %s in a long string repeatedly
21:48 caroline yes, it does help a lot
21:49 caroline especially when there are a lot and it comes out almost as a paragraph of like word %s word word %s word %s word %s word word %s
21:49 cait so I think the idea is to wrap things that are actually a string of words that belong togehter
21:49 cait and make sure they end up as one "translation unit"
21:50 cait it's maybe a good thing to remember to wrap if you have complex IF ELSE structures
21:50 caroline that's a good way to put it
21:50 cait and you should not switch words within a sentence with IF ELSE ever
21:50 cait like  Today is the [if else nonsense ] day of the week
21:50 cait what is bad is ending up with prepositions... To:
21:51 cait they often translate to multple different things
21:51 cait but ... can not always be aovided ... alas we got context now
21:51 cait oleonard: did that make all sense?
21:52 oleonard Yes. I appreciate the reminders
21:53 cait well, the sentence bit.. it can work, but there are some bad examples  around for sure where it's quite painful becuase if you have multiple %s you can't change the sequence of variables they represent
21:54 caroline but don't worry, we'll open bugs for those if needed...
21:54 cait yeah
21:54 cait and things got tons better since I started working on Koha :)
21:54 cait ... 14 years or so heh
21:58 oleonard I still wish we could have made something like Bug 26392 work...
21:58 huginn Bug https://bugs.koha-community.or[…]_bug.cgi?id=26392 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, julian.maurice, Patch doesn't apply , Wrap all translatable strings in
22:03 cait we can use almost all of that right now too
22:03 cait or at least parts of it, like the context ones
22:04 tuxayo except Pootle marking stuff as errors ^^"
22:04 cait yah, I was going to say that
22:04 cait pootle support is not great
22:04 cait the context ones are often not understood on how to translate them right
22:04 tuxayo Which doesn't happen with bug26392 implemented, it's only the manual stuff that uses this syntax so Pootle doesn't block it.
22:06 tuxayo > we can use almost all of that right now too
22:06 tuxayo Indeed, it's more about uniformity and having templates clear about that is translatable text and getting rid of the old system.
22:06 eythian Hi.
22:07 oleonard Hi eythian
22:10 cait hello :)
22:12 cait can I ask another question too?
22:12 cait bug 31410: basically - do we want to have the focus on the first field when editing? or only when adding new?
22:12 huginn Bug https://bugs.koha-community.or[…]_bug.cgi?id=31410 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, katrin.fischer, Signed Off , Set focus for cursor to Server name when adding a new Z39.50 or SRU server
22:13 tuxayo caroline++ (cc caroline_catlady  caroline_crazycatlady  (wow so many!))
22:13 tuxayo wikipage "KohaCon24 Proposals" looks good :)
22:13 caroline thanks tuxayo!
22:13 oleonard cait I think it makes sense to only do it for new entries
22:14 caroline what about the general meeting page? It's the last thing I need before sending the email
22:14 oleonard cait I feel like I followed another example for that, but I don't know for sure
22:17 tuxayo caroline I'll run the script so it's created, the past meeting page is updated and the "next meetings" page is updated.
22:19 caroline thanks! I'm leaving in a few minutes, so I'll send the email tomorrow
22:19 caroline I basically copied the one from davidnind from last year and changed the dates
22:23 cait oleonard: I did the same - Joubu is asking on 2 bugs
22:24 tuxayo caroline++
22:24 cait I'll try to see how we handled other spots
22:24 cait caroline++ tuxayo++ oleonard++
22:27 oleonard I would like a script to clean up my repo after testing translations :D
22:33 cait yes..
22:33 cait i haven't fully figured that out yet either
22:34 oleonard I did just now think to check whether you could give "git clean" a path...yes, so that's helpful.
22:36 cait oh caroline: I tried to fix the charges and made another bug for them: bug 33058
22:36 huginn Bug https://bugs.koha-community.or[…]_bug.cgi?id=33058 minor, P5 - low, ---, katrin.fischer, Needs Signoff , Terminology: change 'fine' to 'charge' for viewing a guarantee's charges in OPAC
22:37 tuxayo > I would like a script to clean up my repo after testing translations :D
22:37 tuxayo I have a big rm command with tons of directories that I find in my command history using ctrl-r and searching "pot". It comes fast, I don't have much old commands with pot inside.
22:38 eythian @karma
22:38 huginn eythian: Highest karma: "Joubu" (1173), "cait" (982), and "ashimema" (803).  Lowest karma: "-" (-78), "failed" (-53), and "ie" (-40).  You (eythian) are ranked 12 out of 1230.
22:38 oleonard tuxayo I used to use an alias to a series of 'git checkout's to clean up regenerated CSS, now obsolete.
22:39 tuxayo ah nice! So is the idea of using git clean, I'll try that next time ^^
22:41 tuxayo Using the occasion to mention the fzf tool that allows to have a quick search (fuzzy finder) in the command history:
22:41 tuxayo[…]qgG5Jhi_Els&t=334
22:41 tuxayo So many things can be found again quickly without needing to make aliases for tons of less frequents commands.
22:43 oleonard That sounds cool tuxayo
22:43 tuxayo discovering basic ctrl-r usage was already a super progress
22:44 tuxayo "There is no minutes for this meeting - General_IRC_meeting_7_December_2022"
22:44 eythian ^R is probably my most used shortcut in anything
22:44 tuxayo ^^
22:45 tuxayo how come no minutes for 2022-12-07 meeting?![…]2-12-07#i_2339210
22:45 cait maybe the bot was broken
22:45 cait kohaaloha is only backup
22:46 tuxayo I don't know, the logs are there https://meetings.koha-communit[…]2-12-07-14.02.txt
22:46 cait
22:46 tuxayo meetbot doesn't depend of the general logs
22:46 cait hm then I don't know
22:47 cait could it be an addiitonal space or so in the wiki page name for last meeting?
22:49 cait but I got to go :) cya tomorrow #koha!
22:49 tuxayo Yes I'm trying to check for suspicious stuff, see ya :)
22:51 oleonard I wonder if there would be an advantage to using a made-up tag instead of <span> for translations...
22:53 tuxayo I proposed to add a class at least to know which are the useless ones in the hope of removing them at some point.
22:53 tuxayo But it wasn't satisfying I don't remember why
22:53 oleonard Maybe because you couldn't easily locate the end tag
22:53 oleonard That would be easy with a dummy tag
22:54 tuxayo Ah I don't remember something like that but indeed just a class might not have helped that much
22:55 tuxayo Would the translation script need to remove such an additional tag? (what about the english version?)
22:56 oleonard Browsers simply ignore tags that are invalid, so theoretically it wouldn't matter if they were there
22:56 oleonard Gotta go, see y'all later
22:58 tuxayo o/
23:06 tuxayo ok the script takes the year for where to search the minutes from the hardcoded current year variable and not the argument (meeting name which contains the year) it doesn't work for meetings in the past year ^^"
23:25 fridolin tuxayo: yellow, sorry i could not attemp last meeting
23:26 tuxayo No worries, you are not the only one, we might need give up on this time slot :(
23:27 dcook @later tell cait Did you get your ktd sorted out? I imagine it would be related to bug 32978...
23:27 huginn dcook: The operation succeeded.
23:28 dcook tuxayo: Yeah, I used to feel left out of meetings, but there aren't many people who can attend even when some of us are around..
23:28 dcook @karma
23:28 huginn dcook: Highest karma: "Joubu" (1173), "cait" (982), and "ashimema" (803).  Lowest karma: "-" (-78), "failed" (-53), and "ie" (-40).  You (dcook) are ranked 22 out of 1230.
23:28 dcook I'm so happy IE is being erased for existence...
23:28 tuxayo lol
23:30 tuxayo It's becoming all Chrome now, not sure it's better. At least Microsoft didn't give a shit about the web, so them having the keys of it is somehow less worst than now that it's Google. Sure we have "progress" now, but progress for what?
23:30 tuxayo but yeah, ie--
23:49 tuxayo I'm still a noob at Perl, is there a way do to that in one step? Or maybe even for one capture it's preferred to get it using $1 ?
23:49 tuxayo my $title = "General_IRC_meeting_7_December_2022"
23:49 tuxayo $title =~ /(\d{4})/;
23:49 tuxayo my $last_meeting_year = $1;

| Channels | #koha index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | plain, newest first | summary