IRC log for #koha, 2022-07-19

All times shown according to UTC.

Time S Nick Message
00:52 fridolin joined #koha
01:13 sonOfRa joined #koha
02:02 wajasu tcohen: thx i saw that but who would have thunk docker did its magic perm thing.  just like the db and memcached without an entry in /etc/hosts
02:03 wajasu i hadn't used docker in 4 years and it's changed.
02:03 wajasu so now i can sleep tonight.
02:06 wajasu so the image has it in the  koha-db template.
02:11 wajasu ls
02:57 tcohen wajasu: docker does many things like routing, virtual networking, name server
03:16 wajasu instead of hardcoding localhost, i made koha-create honor --dbhost,  and  can do:  koha-create --create-db dog4 --dbhost='%'  and the grant will get set correctly
03:17 wajasu that --dbhost could be the koha-koha-1 ip instead of a wildcard.
03:18 wajasu then i shutdown the ktd, edited the .env KOHA_CONF and KOHA_INSTANCE to user dog1 and did kul
03:18 wajasu it all came up, but now dog1 and not kohadev processes.
03:21 wajasu that --dbhost could be the koha-koha-1 ip instead of a wildcard.
03:21 wajasu definitely gives a consistent environemnt for testing.
03:24 wajasu wonders if multitenant sites run an instance of apache per site, or one apache server for a chunk of sites/databases.
03:27 wajasu loves all the computer related books in the test data :)
03:31 wajasu tmrw i chase down my libraries' autoincrement data instances. hopes its not too bad.
04:01 Rajat joined #koha
04:01 Rajat HI Team
04:02 Rajat is there any rest api for OPAC ?
05:44 reiveune joined #koha
05:44 reiveune hello
05:51 dcook joined #koha
05:52 dcook allo allo #koha
06:07 fridolin joined #koha
06:23 jajm joined #koha
06:41 cait joined #koha
06:43 cait1 joined #koha
06:50 cait joined #koha
06:52 cait1 joined #koha
06:53 cait1 good morning #koha
07:08 Joubu tcohen: how long are we going to ignore jenkins' failures?
07:08 Oak joined #koha
07:16 Joubu ktd does not start for me this morning, only me?
07:17 cait1 not going to stop and restart mine now ;)
07:27 ashimema Not tried ktd yet this morning
07:27 Joubu Invalid data, cannot decode metadata object (, biblionumber=369, format=marcxml, schema=MARC21, decoding_error=':8: parser error : PCDATA invalid Char value 31
07:27 ashimema The dashboard isn't too terrible.. some selenium tests failing on D11 which need looking into
07:27 Joubu I am getting that
07:27 Joubu then a weird koha_db output
07:27 ashimema Humm, interesting
07:27 Joubu [Warning] Aborted connection 13 to db: 'koha_kohadev' user: 'koha_kohadev' host: '' (Got an error reading communication packets)
07:27 Joubu but only a warning, so maybe not the cause of the crash
07:28 ashimema That sounds kinda like your Get.. to ->metadata patch
07:28 ashimema Oh, the first but did
07:28 ashimema That second one not so much
07:28 Joubu ha!
07:28 Joubu I am not on master!
07:28 Joubu thanks!
07:28 ashimema I can try to take a look at selenium this morning after dropping the car at the garage
07:29 ashimema I know Tomas and Mason have been doing stuff on Jenkins so I hadn't stepped in to help yet
07:30 ashimema Humm.. is that another middle name fallout?
07:31 ashimema I though we'd already fixed that
07:32 * ashimema thinks his brain may be a bit mush today, us Brits aren't used to this sort of heat
07:32 ashimema It hit 40C in my little home office yesterday and today is forecast for a fair bit warmer
07:33 Joubu same here...
07:33 ashimema Regards the GetItemInfo patch.. do we have a plan on how to help users out of the bad data hole when they hit it?
07:34 ashimema I can't remember what the final state of the bug was..
07:34 Joubu bad data?
07:34 ashimema That error you highlighted above
07:34 ashimema Isn't it caused by a Marc record failing to parse
07:34 Joubu it's bug 29697, I just let a new comment
07:34 ashimema This bad data?
07:34 huginn Bug https://bugs.koha-community.or[…]_bug.cgi?id=29697 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart+koha, Passed QA , Replace GetMarcBiblio occurrences with $biblio->metadata->record
07:35 ashimema Yeah, that one
07:35 ashimema Sorry.. I'm still on the mobile right now..
07:35 Joubu biblionumber 368 is wrong in ktd, that's "expected" (for testing purpose).
07:35 Joubu we have the search_for_inconsistencies script, and the view that is displaying the error
07:35 Joubu no regression is expected from this patch
07:36 Joubu but now there is one as ktd is failing
07:52 * cait1 waves
09:02 Oak joined #koha
09:20 ashimema @seen liliputech
09:20 huginn ashimema: liliputech was last seen in #koha 1 week, 0 days, 21 hours, 19 minutes, and 39 seconds ago: <liliputech> back
09:27 ashimema sill on leave?
09:40 dpk_ joined #koha
09:55 cait joined #koha
10:24 khall_ joined #koha
10:35 oleonard Hi #koha
10:54 cait1 hi oleonard :)
10:58 ashimema mornin
11:14 paulderscheid[m] cait1: Slightly off-topic but does the OGND have an api?
11:15 cait1 apart from SRU/Z39.50?
11:17 paulderscheid[m] Yes
11:19 cait1 what kidn of API are you looking for?
11:19 paulderscheid[m] I want to build a tool with which I can query the main reference form of terms.
11:19 paulderscheid[m] Maybe I can build one around Z39.50 but that sounds like a pain
11:20 paulderscheid[m] Does something like that already exist?
11:21 cait1 you mean the main heading?
11:21 cait1 can you give an example maybe?
11:21 paulderscheid[m] Yes, one second
11:21 cait1 and possibly you shoudl look at the GND at DNB too
11:23 paulderscheid[m] For example: If I have the term "Pirat" (in german) the actual subject term is "Seeräuber"
11:23 cait1 that's a fun one
11:23 paulderscheid[m] It's the most memorable one I can think of
11:24 paulderscheid[m] And using the website is fine but also slow
11:24 cait1 maybe SRU would be a bit more fun:[…]?pageId=132874251
11:24 cait1 than Z39.50
11:24 paulderscheid[m] Ok
11:24 cait1 the DNB also offers an SRU target for GND
11:24 paulderscheid[m] I'll lokk into that
11:25 paulderscheid[m] Thanks for the pointers, I think I can work with that
11:26 marcelr joined #koha
11:26 marcelr hi #koha
11:32 cait1 hi marcelr
11:33 marcelr gutentag
11:33 marcelr surviving the heat?
11:34 marcelr bug 31186 for QA or RM
11:34 huginn Bug https://bugs.koha-community.or[…]_bug.cgi?id=31186 normal, P5 - low, ---,, Signed Off , Search result numbering in OPAC got suppressed
11:35 khall joined #koha
11:35 ashimema so bug 30952
11:35 huginn Bug https://bugs.koha-community.or[…]_bug.cgi?id=30952 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, solene.desvaux, Failed QA , New interface for staff client
11:36 ashimema would it be a really bad idea to suggest we move the work into an entirely new theme.. push it quickly so we can work on cleaning it up, smoothing out the rough edges and then drop the old theme once we feel it's done?
11:36 ashimema I'm just trying to look for ways forward.. there seems a lot of issue to sort out still to me.
11:36 paulderscheid[m] That sounds like a good idea
11:36 ashimema the challenge would be that for a period, we'd need bugs submitted to support both sets of templates
11:37 paulderscheid[m] But as recently discussed, cutting the thing up would be even better
11:37 ashimema yeah.. I'm looking at how we might achieve that right now
11:37 cait1 marcelr: hiding inside helps
11:37 ashimema I think people's issue with cutting it up was that you'd end up with parts in and it would look a mess as a whole
11:38 ashimema personally.. i'd love to have seen it submitted as a whole set of bugs in a neat tree.. and we could have worked through them over the course of the cycle
11:38 paulderscheid[m] Well it's the master branch and not a release
11:38 ashimema right now.. I am not entirely optimistic anyone will sit there with them massive single patch and actually make much headway..
11:38 ashimema there's no test plan, no description of any of the changes
11:39 ashimema just "Here's a screenshot.. now go test it"
11:39 paulderscheid[m] I was about to say that
11:39 cait1 ashimema: it hink cutting it up is the better idea
11:39 cait1 we had 2 opac themes for a while and it was very messy
11:39 paulderscheid[m] Without a test plan this will stay on the shelf forever
11:39 cait1 it turned out really hard to maintain them both
11:39 ashimema it's going to be an absolute nightmare for people upgrading
11:39 cait1 and the staff interface is much more complex than the OPAC
11:39 ashimema so many system preferences affect the appearance of things..
11:40 cait1 maybe we need to work towards not making it a nightmare then
11:40 cait1 i haven't looked yet,... but is it really new templates?
11:40 ashimema like your IntranetNav stuff.. I can't begin to imagine how much stuff our customers have put into those prefs
11:40 ashimema css and js too
11:40 cait1 i had the impression it was changing stuff like the header include and css
11:40 paulderscheid[m] This sounds like it should be spearheaded by oleonard
11:40 paulderscheid[m] In collaboration with BibLibre
11:40 cait1 yeah, i think a big patch might be too late now anyway
11:41 ashimema it touches around 300 files
11:41 ashimema on a quick look
11:41 paulderscheid[m] I'd be happy to help but this patch requires guidance for testers
11:41 ashimema includes, template, css, images
11:41 cait1 that's a lot, but dpeendson the changes of course
11:42 ashimema lots of them are rather large template re-writes in themselves
11:42 cait1 yeah, they shoudl have been separate
11:42 Oak joined #koha
11:42 ashimema refactoring and moveing things around in the template
11:42 marcelr thats problematic
11:42 ashimema yup
11:42 cait1 and the header area needs more work
11:42 ashimema I have looked at it a couple of time time
11:42 ashimema it's chock full of bugs and issues
11:42 marcelr this just tells us that our templates are a nightmare
11:42 ashimema but I don't even know how to report them..
11:42 cait1 hm not necessarily, but big patches are
11:43 ashimema I want to try to be positive on it.. but the list of issues would end up hundreds of lines long
11:43 ashimema and that's before I start on the big stuff that is already being debated in the bug
11:43 paulderscheid[m] Can we create a wiki page where we lay this out and formulate tasks that individuals can pick?
11:43 ashimema like the search stuff
11:43 ashimema I don't know
11:43 oleonard The template changes are actually fairly minor, which was the goal starting out
11:44 ashimema minor they may be.. but they're a nightmare to rebase unless you're close to the patch
11:44 ashimema because they're often block moves.. git can't help much
11:44 oleonard Unfortunately a lot of the changes may actually be merge errors or regressions... Lots of headings which have been changed
11:44 ashimema indeed
11:44 ashimema I think i'd have gone through it almost a template at a time to get them all uniform
11:45 ashimema those would have been tiny fast moving patches
11:45 ashimema then a css change
11:45 ashimema then function UX improvements like moving search to the header.. making side bars into collapsible menus
11:45 ashimema and stuff like that
11:46 * ashimema really wants to help but is struggling to know how
11:47 ashimema There's so really big changes that were really not proposed at all too..
11:47 oleonard I feel like we need a meeting with Biblibre to discuss some of their choices
11:47 ashimema like the main page change.. I find that pretty jarring to be honest
11:47 ashimema the strange layout
11:48 oleonard Like... Was this scrollbar a decision?
11:48 ashimema indeed
11:48 ashimema what I'd really like to have seen was a clear style guide written instead
11:48 ashimema and then everyone help work towards it one piece at a time
11:49 ashimema oop. lunch time.. I best feed the hungry hoards..
11:49 * ashimema has kids home today.. schools closed due to the heat
11:49 Oak joined #koha
11:50 paulderscheid[m] The style guide should still be created
11:51 paulderscheid[m] This new interface won't stay like this forever
12:10 tcohen hola #koha
12:11 Oak joined #koha
12:24 marcelr hola tcohen
12:24 marcelr tcohen: all is fine for the lists patches now
12:57 huginn News from kohagit: Bug 30905: (follow-up) Get logged in branch once <[…]27d3c425377fcc27a>
12:57 huginn News from kohagit: Bug 30935: Holds to pull shows wrong first patron <[…]13d2390fd57a27a36>
12:57 huginn News from kohagit: Bug 30905: Show waiting recalls in patron account <[…]e7cf4eb6febf31698>
12:59 wajasu well, i think i have a solution for koha-create to get the right grant in mysql per user/instance.
13:05 wajasu since i don't have koha_dog1.cnf in /etc/mysql, I can grab it from DB_HOSTNAME (i.e. db or whatenver .env specifies). then if i can use 'dig $DB_HOSTNAME +short' to get the IP of the database server, and use that IP in the GRANT for the koha_dog1 user.
13:05 wajasu no wildcard needed too.
13:05 wajasu but we need dig added to the koha-common package deps
13:07 koha-jenkins Project Koha_Master_D11_ES6 build #23: SUCCESS in 8 min 53 sec: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]aster_D11_ES6/23/
13:07 wajasu this will let us test koha-create/koha-remove etc in ktd  and support start/stopping of services, etc
13:07 wajasu on another note.
13:09 wajasu is it feasable or worth it to create the koha-db image or a koha-db-pop image that has the database populated.
13:10 wajasu so when i do kd, then kul, i don't have to wait for that long process.
13:10 wajasu maybe even have zebra indexed too.
13:11 wajasu then i'd just tweek .env and start/stop quicker for each bug to fix/signoff
13:12 wajasu but since you guys pull images from a cental docker registry, that would make it part of your offering.
13:12 wajasu i could try locally with my own private docker registry to prove it out first.
13:13 wajasu or just build the image and specify my docker compose to pull formthe image ID.
13:14 wajasu kulp could be the alias :)
13:17 alohabot 🎁 🦄 Koha 'master' packages pushed to 'koha-staging' repo  ðŸœðŸ¥­ðŸˆ
13:26 Dyrcona joined #koha
13:31 koha-jenkins Project Koha_Master_D11_ES7 build #24: SUCCESS in 7 min 41 sec: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]aster_D11_ES7/24/
13:34 lukeg joined #koha
13:37 koha-jenkins Project Koha_Master_U20 build #493: SUCCESS in 38 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]a_Master_U20/493/
13:40 tcohen wajasu: why do you want to know the IP?
13:44 wajasu i can just use % wildcard.  but if security is a concern, the IP might be nicer.
13:44 wajasu the IP of the koha-koha-1 that is.
13:44 koha-jenkins Project Koha_Master_D11_My8 build #924: SUCCESS in 46 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]ster_D11_My8/924/
13:45 wajasu still connecting based on "db" tht docker or the /etc/hosts may provide.
13:47 wajasu but granting the specific host we created from would support multiple hosts(1 to 1) (though not multiple koha-koha)
13:47 wajasu i think once the multiple host scenarios kick in, we might need to use something like kubernetes.
13:49 wajasu for say 3 koha web/app servers against one db server,  or one web/app server supporting n sites against a specified db server.
13:51 tcohen wajasu: kubernetes is just a more complex way of doing the same thing
13:51 tcohen this specific deployment is using a single network (kohanet)
13:51 tcohen for all services
13:51 tcohen if you wanted to do something more complex, nothing prevents you from
13:51 tcohen having a 'database' network
13:52 tcohen granting based on the random IP that docker assigns a container
13:52 tcohen could prevent you from things like 'scaling the backend'
13:53 wajasu ok. % is fine then.
13:53 tcohen haha
13:53 tcohen this is just what we use for KTD, if you find we can do better
13:53 tcohen help is always welcome!
13:54 wajasu dig koha +short  just gives the IP from the web/app container for the mysql grant.  but % works.
13:54 koha-jenkins Project Koha_Master_D10 build #747: SUCCESS in 54 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]a_Master_D10/747/
13:54 koha-jenkins Project Koha_Master_D11_ES7 build #25: SUCCESS in 7 min 41 sec: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]aster_D11_ES7/25/
14:04 koha-jenkins Project Koha_Master_U22 build #142: SUCCESS in 1 hr 7 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]a_Master_U22/142/
14:16 Oak joined #koha
14:29 Oak joined #koha
14:29 koha-jenkins Project Koha_Master_D11_MDB_Latest build #1019: SUCCESS in 44 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]_MDB_Latest/1019/
14:30 reiveune left #koha
14:48 paulderscheid[m] tcohen: Any plans to migrate to podman?
14:49 wajasu we sure have alot of sources for db config.   /etc/mysql/koha_<instance>.cnf , /etc/koha/passwd,  /etc/koha/sites/<instance>/koha-conf.xml, ENV vars  :)
14:49 tcohen never thought about it
14:50 paulderscheid[m] I want to create a containerized solution for LMSCloud as well and came to the conclusion that podman is the way to go because of better Integration with Kubernetes.
14:50 paulderscheid[m] And it's really open-source open-source.
14:51 wajasu i am doing the same for Linode
14:52 paulderscheid[m] No weird licensing stuff at a certain comany size
14:52 wajasu i built images with packer, run libvirtd locally on qemu-kvm, but can also use packer to use plugin for linode and other clouds.
14:53 paulderscheid[m] That's very cool wajasu
14:53 wajasu i could use your docker images, or one built cloud friendly, cloud-init, or such.
14:55 wajasu i chained the packer images,  debian, koha, so i wouldn't have to rebuild so often takes 30 minutes. not using overlays.
14:56 wajasu you can mount a host directory for the koha git repo.
14:56 wajasu i like the docker world though.
14:57 wajasu my last inthe chain is my libraries db.
14:58 wajasu your docker is just about the same. plus it supports windows.
14:59 wajasu i think it might be worth generating a koha-debian-cloud.img  that would work with cloud vendors.
15:00 bag joined #koha
15:00 wajasu my base debian koha-common with my databse loaded is 4.8G
15:01 wajasu having the ability to keep the db across kul or such lets one run the and debug failures for old sites.
15:02 wajasu ktd helped me with the goal to load a 3.10 koha to 20.05,
15:02 tcohen why 20.05?
15:03 wajasu because  mentions it. i thought it was the latest.
15:03 tcohen oh
15:03 tcohen upgrade to 21.11 right now :-P
15:04 tcohen before they notice
15:04 wajasu i actually ran ktd which was master
15:04 tcohen ah, you mean 22.05?
15:04 khall_ joined #koha
15:09 wajasu i told my librarian i would be deploying by friday.  so i am working on auto_increment bug records now.
15:09 tcohen oh
15:09 wajasu 22.05 yes
15:10 tcohen there's a script for that
15:10 wajasu i actually got to 22.06 because thats what master was 2 weeks ago.
15:11 wajasu but got through FK issues, strict mariadb rules etc.
15:13 wajasu i really need to do a diff between reference tables with codes that may not be present in my DB.  i was missing circulation_rotating table and such.
15:14 koha-jenkins Project Koha_Master_D11_MDB_Latest build #1020: SUCCESS in 44 min: https://jenkins.koha-community[…]_MDB_Latest/1020/
15:14 wajasu i had done custom xslt, but you guys have fixed things so i can just rely on prog.
15:15 wajasu i also need to customize for school logo/colors.
15:17 Oak joined #koha
15:19 tcohen wajasu: did you try the Galadriel plugin?
15:47 lukeg joined #koha
15:48 lukeg hi
15:48 wahanui what's up, lukeg
15:59 cait1 bye all
16:07 cait1 left #koha
16:36 cait joined #koha
16:43 khall joined #koha
16:51 lukeg joined #koha
16:55 Oak joined #koha
17:08 wajasu tcohen: i'll look at the Galadriel.
17:09 wajasu is there added benefit to using elastic search?  i'm just monolithic server 1CPU 1GB ram in cloud right now.
17:11 tcohen 1GB RAM sounds like a bad thing
17:12 tcohen because each Plack worker will eat smth like 300MB just sitting there
17:19 fridolin joined #koha
18:04 wajasu i noticed that memory growth.  can koha run without plack?
18:05 wajasu memcached grew too
18:06 tcohen you don't want to run without Plack
18:09 wajasu maybe a 2GB.
18:09 wajasu can plack or apache or memcached be configured with max
18:09 tcohen memcached can be configured to use, say, 64MB
18:09 tcohen and MariaDB needs to have the memory cache set to something reasonable
18:10 tcohen yes, all of them
18:10 wajasu ok. will work it
18:10 tcohen the default for Koha is to have 2 Plack workers running
18:12 tcohen I wouldn't go lower than that
18:12 tcohen :-D
18:12 tcohen @seen marcelr
18:12 huginn tcohen: marcelr was last seen in #koha 5 hours, 48 minutes, and 23 seconds ago: <marcelr> tcohen: all is fine for the lists patches now
18:12 tcohen @later tell marcelr I added my two cents there, can you review it?
18:12 huginn tcohen: The operation succeeded.
18:13 tcohen 2 euros I'd say heh
19:16 Michelle joined #koha
19:34 clms joined #koha
19:41 fridolin1 joined #koha
20:57 wajasu tcohen: if you create a bug "add PS1 escape sequence to show current git branch in window title" we can discuss and add it to ktd.
20:58 wajasu somethings like:  bug_2356: koha_testing_docker ... as it is today
21:47 cait joined #koha

| Channels | #koha index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | plain, newest first | summary