IRC log for #koha, 2016-09-07

All times shown according to UTC.

Time S Nick Message
00:17 Francesca joined #koha
00:25 chris_n joined #koha
01:24 StomproJosh joined #koha
01:24 rocio joined #koha
01:25 rocio left #koha
01:28 talljoy joined #koha
01:35 Francesca joined #koha
02:13 BobB joined #koha
02:26 StomproJ joined #koha
02:31 DrLang joined #koha
03:17 JoshB joined #koha
03:20 Francesca joined #koha
03:34 Francesca joined #koha
03:54 Francesca joined #koha
04:39 irma joined #koha
04:44 irma hi mtj
04:44 irma :-)
04:45 irma we spoke about you this morning at a meeting with a new staff member of the Catalyst IT Melbourne office
04:45 irma Donna Benjamin
04:46 irma We know Donna from many years ago she is a Drupal and OSS true and through person
04:46 mtj hiya irma
04:46 irma * I wave back
04:46 mtj worng channel? :0)
04:46 * mtj waves
04:54 chris_n joined #koha
04:57 cait joined #koha
05:02 * magnuse waves
05:03 laurence joined #koha
05:11 * magnuse is an early bird, getting all the worms
05:11 dcook hehe
05:15 * liw gives magnuse a large bottle of ketchup
05:25 chris_n joined #koha
05:25 irma joined #koha
05:25 BobB joined #koha
05:25 papa joined #koha
05:25 deb-CSPL joined #koha
05:28 * magnuse enjoys the worms even more with ketchup
05:30 mario joined #koha
05:32 cait magnuse: you eat strange breakfast :)
05:33 magnuse whut? noooo...
05:35 dcook Proootein
06:00 magnuse @wunder boo
06:00 huginn magnuse: The current temperature in Bodo, Norway is 12.0°C (7:50 AM CEST on September 07, 2016). Conditions: Light Rain. Humidity: 100%. Dew Point: 12.0°C. Pressure: 29.44 in 997 hPa (Steady).
06:00 magnuse s/Light Rain/Raining Cats and Dogs/
06:10 drojf joined #koha
06:10 drojf morning #koha
06:28 sophie_m joined #koha
06:30 magnuse kia ora drojf and sophie_m
06:30 sophie_m hello magnuse :)
06:33 cait joined #koha
06:35 akawa joined #koha
06:35 akawa morning #koha!
06:39 alex_a joined #koha
06:40 alex_a bonjour
06:40 wahanui kia ora, alex_a
06:45 reiveune joined #koha
06:47 reiveune hello
07:12 * cait waves
07:15 * magnuse yawns
07:18 alex_a joined #koha
07:26 fridolin joined #koha
07:26 fridolin hie
07:43 paul_p joined #koha
07:49 LibraryClaire joined #koha
07:49 LibraryClaire morning #koha
07:49 drojf hi LibraryClaire
07:49 LibraryClaire hi drojf
07:53 Joubu wt* bug 14695 is pushed to master but still NSO??
07:53 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=14695 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, kyle.m.hall, Signed Off , Add ability to place multiple item holds on a given record per patron
07:54 Joubu @later tell khall 14695 is pushed to master but still NSO, is it expected? Moreover the atomicupdate file has not been removed
07:54 huginn Joubu: The operation succeeded.
07:55 sameeenz joined #koha
07:56 schnydszch joined #koha
08:05 rangi whoa thats odd
08:10 drojf strange. maybe it was a typo?
08:11 rangi yeah looks like pushed wrong branch maybe, im sure he will sort it out
08:22 drojf later #koha
08:41 cdickinson_ joined #koha
08:54 alex_a_ joined #koha
08:58 alex_a__ joined #koha
09:09 Francesca joined #koha
09:23 drojf joined #koha
09:24 drojf hi again
09:50 drojf @wunder berlin, germany
09:50 huginn drojf: The current temperature in Berlin Tegel, Germany is 21.0°C (11:20 AM CEST on September 07, 2016). Conditions: Clear. Humidity: 60%. Dew Point: 13.0°C. Pressure: 30.27 in 1025 hPa (Steady).
09:50 drojf @seen marcelr
09:50 huginn drojf: marcelr was last seen in #koha 5 days, 1 hour, 45 minutes, and 48 seconds ago: <marcelr> goedemorgen eythian
09:52 LibraryClaire @wunder LCY
09:52 huginn LibraryClaire: The current temperature in London City Airport, London, United Kingdom is 21.4°C (10:46 AM BST on September 07, 2016). Conditions: Overcast. Humidity: 86%. Dew Point: 19.0°C. Pressure: 30.09 in 1019 hPa (Steady).
09:52 Francesca joined #koha
09:55 magnuse wow, everyone still has summer temps
09:55 magnuse @wunder boo
09:55 huginn magnuse: The current temperature in Bodo, Norway is 12.0°C (11:20 AM CEST on September 07, 2016). Conditions: Mostly Cloudy. Humidity: 100%. Dew Point: 12.0°C. Pressure: 29.53 in 1000 hPa (Rising).
09:59 drojf that is summer temp for norway i guess?
09:59 drojf we're supposed to get 26 today and 29 tomorrow
10:32 Joubu @later tell oleonard could you have a look at bug 17220
10:32 huginn Joubu: The operation succeeded.
11:04 drojf @later tell marcelr why is the owner of an uploaded file part of the hash calculation? wouldn't we want a file to be detected as the same regardless of who uploads it?
11:04 huginn drojf: The operation succeeded.
11:08 cait bbl
11:09 cait left #koha
11:10 magnuse drojf: there are summers where that might be considered a good temperature, but we have certainly seen higher this year
11:23 thd joined #koha
11:34 Joubu @later tell tcohen Letters.t and ES/Indexer.t are failing for master, 16.05 but pass for me
11:34 huginn Joubu: The operation succeeded.
11:34 magnuse oops, don't call your instance "data" if you plan to run koha-dump-defaults on it...
11:37 drojf magnuse: what happened?
11:38 magnuse you get a lot of "-- Dumping __KOHASITE__ for table `zebraqueue`"
11:38 magnuse which i realise now is just a comment of course
11:39 magnuse but the problem is koha-dump-defaults replaces every occurence of the instance name
11:39 magnuse whether it is in the contents of a database table or whatever
11:40 drojf err. that sounds scary
11:40 magnuse e.g. 'Edit catalog (Modify bibliographic/holdings __KOHASITE__)'
11:40 magnuse yeah, not good
11:41 drojf to be honest, i did not even know that command exists
11:41 drojf i did it with a script when i needed it
11:41 magnuse hehe, probably not the most used script
11:42 drojf i will definitely have use for it
11:42 magnuse when i replace __KOHASITE__ with "data" it says there are 7235 occurences of __KOHASITE__
11:42 magnuse i'll report the bug
11:42 drojf lol
11:45 meliss joined #koha
11:45 drojf shouldn't that replace koha_data instead of just data?
11:45 drojf or koha-data
11:45 drojf *gets confused*
11:48 magnuse yeah, that should fix it, i think
11:48 drojf ok but then you must be the first person ever to use that script :D
11:49 Joubu khall: ping?
11:49 wahanui Using deft allegory, the authors have provided an insightful and intuitive explanation of one of Unix's most venerable networking utilities.[…]oks/dp/0448421658
11:50 drojf lol wahanui
11:50 drojf wahanui: botsnack cookie
11:50 wahanui thanks drojf :)
11:51 magnuse nah, if you use something more pregnant than data you'll never notice
11:51 magnuse oh, here is why the number is so high: <__KOHASITE__field> in biblioitems.marcxml
11:51 cait joined #koha
11:51 drojf like 'koha', which is probably the most used instance namen? ;)
11:52 drojf *name
11:52 drojf ah heh
11:52 magnuse that might create some interesting variants too, i guess
11:53 drojf looks like i can batch "upload" files now. yay!
11:54 oleonard joined #koha
11:54 oleonard Hi all
11:54 drojf hi oleonard
11:54 wahanui hi olé onard
11:54 magnuse bug 17265
11:54 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=17265 normal, P5 - low, ---, koha-bugs, NEW , Make koha-create-defaults less greedy
11:55 kidclamp joined #koha
11:56 * oleonard pictures a series of bugs for addressing koha-create-defaults and the rest of the 7 deadly sins
11:57 magnuse Make koha-create-defaults less slothful
11:57 magnuse slothy?
11:59 oleonard It doesn't come up much in conversation, but I think slothful sounds right.
11:59 drojf slothesque
11:59 oleonard slothish
11:59 kidclamp slothed-out?
11:59 kidclamp morning
12:20 alex_a joined #koha
12:29 Scott-CSPL joined #koha
12:31 tcohen joined #koha
12:32 tcohen bonjour
12:36 tcohen Joubu: I wasn't aware of 11921, at all!
12:36 nengard joined #koha
12:37 LibraryClaire hi tcohen, oleopard, kidclamp
12:37 tcohen hi #koha
12:37 kidclamp hi LibraryClaire
12:42 magnuse bug 11921
12:42 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=11921 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart, Signed Off , memcached configuration should be moved back to koha-conf.xml
12:42 paul_p joined #koha
12:51 cait joined #koha
12:51 paul_p joined #koha
12:56 khall mornin all!
12:57 tcohen hi khall!
12:57 edveal joined #koha
13:01 drojf @later tell marcelr if i delete the owner of a file, what are the consequences?
13:01 huginn drojf: The operation succeeded.
13:01 LibraryClaire hi khall
13:13 talljoy joined #koha
13:14 cait joined #koha
13:16 meliss joined #koha
13:18 drojf @later tell marcelr i found 14849 regarding the second question
13:18 huginn drojf: The operation succeeded.
13:24 mario joined #koha
13:27 drojf bye #koha
13:45 kmlussier joined #koha
13:48 amyk joined #koha
13:53 amyk joined #koha
13:57 NateC joined #koha
14:15 edveal joined #koha
14:18 drojf joined #koha
14:18 CrispyBran joined #koha
14:18 tmcmahon joined #koha
14:31 oleonard The title of Bug 17264 represents the kind of bug reports I typically get from my staff. They're not good with subject lines.
14:31 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=17264 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, aruna.bukkaraju, RESOLVED FIXED, not
14:31 oleonard If we had an internal bug tracker all the bugs would be titled "Koha"
14:32 LibraryClaire :D
14:33 LibraryClaire all mine are URGENT!
14:38 Joubu khall: quick code review done on 14695
14:49 khall Joubu: thanks! I'll take a look!
14:52 JoshB joined #koha
15:00 TGoat joined #koha
15:33 rocio joined #koha
15:44 kidclamp hah oleonard - just looked at the bug
15:47 CrispyBran I like bug 17264.  It's simple and to the point.  If only ALL bugs were that easy.
15:47 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=17264 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, aruna.bukkaraju, RESOLVED FIXED, not
15:48 fridolin left #koha
15:55 ammo joined #koha
15:55 ammo joined #koha
15:56 ammo afternoon all
15:59 tcohen hi
16:16 ammo I was wondering if anyone ever tried importing serial issues in to Koha
16:17 ammo I got the process of importing biblios (with respective items), patrons and authorities all figured out and done
16:18 ammo However I still am finding trouble designing a way to actually import serial issues, haven't found any reliable way of doing it
16:19 ammo My problem is pretty much the same as Paul in http://koha.1045719.n5.nabble.[…]ls-td4264662.html where importing as items is not an option as it would overflow the number of items for a said serial
16:19 JoshB joined #koha
16:20 ammo also importing every issue as a record would overly populate the record index with irrelevant data
16:30 kidclamp ammo, so the issue is not enough room in an item record to store all of the info you want for each issue of a serial?
16:33 kidclamp the last email in that thread seems to be relevant - I was going to suggest analytical records
16:51 ammo hello kidclamp
16:51 ammo thank you for replying
16:52 ammo indeed that seems to me a plausible way of handling it
16:53 ammo I still need to take a closer look at the source data but take a newspaper for example, with periodicy of daily that has been active for the last 50 years
16:53 ammo its crazy the ammount of data it would ocupy in the overall catalog
16:55 kidclamp yeah, MARC doesn't really fit well with that level of detail it seems
16:59 oleonard Ugh, more Bugzilla spam.
17:03 cait joined #koha
17:46 drojf1 joined #koha
17:53 drojf1 joined #koha
18:07 edveal joined #koha
18:15 Dyrcona joined #koha
18:20 tcohen later #koha
18:27 laurence left #koha
18:53 nuentoter joined #koha
18:54 cait joined #koha
18:54 cait irc meeting is in an hour!
18:54 nuentoter so finally server is up and running, all my patrons, all my records, and all my circulation data is in.
18:54 cait congrats!
18:54 cait so next step is adding your library to the wiki? ;)
18:55 nuentoter i go to start cataloguing, no problem, my framework works well. then i got o print labels.......... and after printing the label, when scanned there is a raiming check letter at the end hmmmppphhhh
18:55 nuentoter We will be added to the wiki when things are officially online
18:58 cait raiming check letter?
19:00 nuentoter remaining lol
19:01 nuentoter im using glabels right now, and it works great, on the printed label it will say "*36214*" but when scanned it enters 36214K on the search line, which brings no book up
19:05 cait odd
19:06 CrispyBran_RefDesk nuentoter, could be a scanner issue.  Our scanners come with a book that allow you to change the way it enters information.  Perhaps the scanners need to be reconfigured.
19:06 CrispyBran_RefDesk nuentoter, what scanner do you use?
19:07 nuentoter hmmmm its our old one i pulled out of a filing cabinet lol, i'll find a manual online.   its an "E-sky" is all it says on it
19:11 CrispyBran_RefDesk Hmmmm....I can find some "esky" scanners, but not "E-sky".  Either way, not finding any manuals online so far.  No model number?
19:16 nuentoter i found the manual in a different filing cabinet lol the manual is in english but not written by someone english speaking
19:16 nuentoter should be fun HAhaha
19:17 CrispyBran_RefDesk Good.  Basically, if it programs by scanning barcodes, you want to find a setting that will make it scan with just the numbers expected and CR at the end (as if pressing enter).
19:18 nuentoter_ joined #koha
19:22 JoshB joined #koha
19:25 andreashm joined #koha
19:26 magnuse kia ora andreashm
19:26 andreashm hi magnuse
19:27 andreashm whats up?
19:34 magnuse andreashm: not much, running out of battery soon
19:36 magnuse have fun #koha!
19:37 * cait waves
19:43 nuentoter_ ok so after trying out 2 other scanners, the check letter still remains.
19:44 andreashm hi cait
19:46 nuentoter_ question then, if i am exporting my list of newly catalogued books using a report, and then using glabels to print, what is creating the check letter at the end? is it koha or glabels?
19:49 phred joined #koha
19:49 JoshB joined #koha
19:49 nuentoter_ i missed a checkbox on glabels! i fixed it which makes me super librarian of the day right?
19:50 barton nuentoter_: at the very least it gets you some karma...
19:50 barton nuentoter++
19:50 nuentoter_ lol ty
19:51 barton kidclamp: you're *the* bbiab? wow...
19:51 barton I didn't know that I was in the presence of greatness...
19:51 kidclamp hah
19:52 * kidclamp is the victim of too much excercise - not responsible for typos
19:52 phred If you want to be superlibrarian, you'll need a cape.
19:52 * cait still waits for hers
19:52 cait we should totally have not only koha onesies but capes too :)
19:53 cait brb for the meeting
19:53 phred (Just finished setting up fail2ban after looking at my log files. Feeling a bit loopy.)
19:53 * barton ponders the idea of having the superlibrarian check-box play the "Mighty Mouse Will Save The Day" theme-song when clicked.
19:53 phred Or when a superlibrarian logs in. I like it!!
19:54 barton phred: I think that plays pink flloyd's 'Welcome to the machine'.
19:56 * barton /names
19:56 phred I used to have my lab computers configured to say "I have seen this kind of thing happen before, and it has always been due to human error" when Windows crashed. Very few people got the joke.
19:56 barton woops
19:57 thd joined #koha
19:58 rangi morning
19:59 barton g'day rangi!
20:00 cait ok people :)
20:00 cait time to have a meeting!
20:00 cait #startmeeting General IRC meeting 7 September 2016
20:00 huginn Meeting started Wed Sep  7 20:00:45 2016 UTC.  The chair is cait. Information about MeetBot at
20:00 huginn Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
20:00 Topic for #koha is now  (Meeting topic: General IRC meeting 7 September 2016)
20:00 huginn The meeting name has been set to 'general_irc_meeting_7_september_2016'
20:00 cait #topic Introductions
20:00 wahanui #info wahanui, a bot that has become sentient
20:00 Topic for #koha is now Introductions (Meeting topic: General IRC meeting 7 September 2016)
20:01 cait please introduce yourself with #info following wahanui's example!
20:01 cait #info Katrin Fischer, BSZ Germany
20:01 barton #info Barton Chittenden, bywater, Lousiville KY, US.
20:01 thd #info Thomas Dukleth, Agogme, New York City
20:01 rangi #info Chris Cormack, Catalyst, Wellington NZ
20:01 phred #info Fred King, Washington, DC (and Koha-US member-at-large)
20:01 bag #info Brendan Gallagher, ByWater Solutions Portland Oregon
20:03 cait moving on?
20:03 cait #topic Announcements
20:03 Topic for #koha is now Announcements (Meeting topic: General IRC meeting 7 September 2016)
20:03 schnydszch joined #koha
20:03 tubaclarinet joined #koha
20:03 cait ah
20:03 cait more people arriving
20:04 cait please feel free to #info yourself
20:04 BobB #info Bob Birchall, Calyx
20:04 cait bag: any announcements?
20:04 drojf joined #koha
20:04 bag no announcements
20:04 tubaclarinet #info Christopher Davis, Uintah County Library (U.S.A.)
20:05 drojf #info Mirko Tietgen, half asleep
20:05 cait #info apologies from oleonard
20:05 cait anyone else any announcements?
20:05 cait ok, moving on!
20:05 cait #topic Update on releases
20:05 Topic for #koha is now Update on releases (Meeting topic: General IRC meeting 7 September 2016)
20:06 cait i see bag, any RMaints present?
20:06 cait rangi?
20:06 cait bag?
20:06 rangi yep
20:06 rangi business as usual
20:07 rangi for 3.20.x I am only doing major/criticals (or really annoying bugs) and security fixes now
20:08 cait #info 3.20.x - only major/criticals (or really annoying bugs) and security fixes now
20:08 cait thx
20:08 cait bag anything on 16.11?
20:08 bag not at the moment
20:09 cait ok, moving on
20:09 cait #topic GBSD
20:09 Topic for #koha is now GBSD (Meeting topic: General IRC meeting 7 September 2016)
20:09 cait in case you haven't heard yet, we have a GBSD scheduled for 9 September
20:09 schnydszch_ joined #koha
20:09 cait please participate - every little bit helps
20:10 cait I am trying to collect some 'action items' on the wiki page
20:10 cait if you have any ideas, please tell me or add them there directly
20:10 schnydszch_ #info Eugene Espinoza Philippines
20:10 cait #link https://wiki.koha-community.or[…]bug_squashing_day
20:11 barton can someone remind me how to tag something as an 'easy to test' bug is in bugzilla?
20:11 cait i think kidclamp wanted to work out a concept for new keywords :)
20:11 cait we talked about it at the last dev meeting
20:11 cait I think we could possibly use Academy right now
20:11 cait rangi?
20:11 rangi yeah you can
20:12 cait rangi: when is the next Academy, not too soon?
20:13 BobB I think its January, cait
20:13 cait ok, so hopefully not interfering until we have a new keyword
20:13 osjerwyn joined #koha
20:14 cait ok, moving on?
20:14 cait #topic KohaCon17
20:14 Topic for #koha is now KohaCon17 (Meeting topic: General IRC meeting 7 September 2016)
20:14 rangi this one is for schnydszch_ :)
20:14 cait #info KohaCon17 goes to... Philippines! (already announced on the mailing list)
20:14 osjerwyn hello
20:14 cait and osjerwyn
20:14 osjerwyn Jerwyn Fernandez Philippimes
20:15 osjerwyn just woke up
20:15 BobB I know :)
20:15 cait any update on kohacon17? :)
20:15 osjerwyn yes!
20:16 osjerwyn did schnydszch mentioned something already?
20:16 rangi nope
20:17 cait it looks a bit like he maybe has problems with connection
20:17 phred Has anyone tried to do a live webcast from KohaCon? Could it happen this time?
20:17 osjerwyn I'll jusr eco what we discussed
20:17 osjerwyn We are asking this early the koha community to register in a google form the group will be creating if they have plans of attending KohaCon 2017 in the Philippines. Even if you are only 1% sure, please register in the form so that the group will know (there will be a field on the percentage of how sure an attendee will be attending). Since we will be limiting it to 300 (local and international), it’s important that those who have plans register
20:17 rangi phred: it happened in greece
20:18 drojf phred:  err the whole kohacon this year was streamed
20:18 osjerwyn The organizing committee this early wants to inform the Koha Community that we will have a minimal registration fee because if we make it free, local participants may take the opportunity and that the conference might exceed the 300 limit - we’re thinking of maximum of 100$.
20:18 drojf oh too late
20:18 rangi :)
20:18 osjerwyn There are also other factors that we foresee it might hit the 300 limit like there are local participants even though it’s already indicated in the website and Facebook page that the conference does not accept walk-ins, there are still who does not follow.
20:18 osjerwyn This is the reason why this early we are asking the international Koha community to register in the Google Form because the organizing committee has decided to make the first 100 registrants to not pay for registration fee.
20:19 rangi what are the dates?
20:19 wahanui the dates are in format yyyy-mm-dd
20:19 rangi i dont think anyone can register without set dates
20:19 osjerwyn oh
20:19 osjerwyn wait
20:19 osjerwyn i have the dates!
20:19 nuentoter_ #info Justin Martin Abel J. Morneault Memorial Library, Van Buren, Me, USA
20:20 LibraryClaire joined #koha
20:20 drojf why do you not want locals to participate? or maybe i misunderstand
20:21 osjerwyn wait a sec June 5-9 or June 12-16 I look for my notes
20:21 cait the kohacon has traditionally been a free event - i think 100 might be a lot to some
20:22 thd drojf: My charitable understanding is they do not want to be in a position to have no room to accommodate people travelling from far away.
20:22 cait also handling such a registration fee internationally might get hard
20:22 BobB an alternative would be to reserve a fixed # of places for overseas participants, say 50
20:22 rangi it would also be very unlikely you would get 100 people not from the Phillippines
20:22 schnydszch joined #koha
20:22 rangi 50 seems much more realistic like BobB said
20:22 cait and maybe have a deadline... and then fill it up with local people?
20:22 rangi *nod*
20:23 rangi reserved spaces is a good idea
20:23 schnydszch #info Eugene Espinoza
20:23 nuentoter_ cait: that sounds like a much better idea
20:23 BobB and if unused you could release them to locals near the date
20:23 cait yep, BobB phrased it better
20:23 osjerwyn Eugene!
20:23 BobB oops, sorry, cait
20:23 schnydszch Juat wike up and cannot startul laptop properly without waking up the family
20:23 osjerwyn what is the date?
20:23 wahanui the date is circled ;)
20:23 osjerwyn June 5-9 or June 12-16
20:24 cait BobB: no, thx! :)
20:24 thd osjerwyn: Any idea which solves the issue of places for people from far away without needing to charge anyone a fee would be much better than a fee.
20:24 schnydszch I'm onnmy phone, on my bed. Well ajerwyn is there
20:25 nuentoter_ what would the fee be paying for?
20:25 osjerwyn actually thats for the food
20:26 schnydszch That's the plan not charging up on foreign participants hence the d3cember deadline to register.
20:26 cait do you plan on providing lunch with the conf?
20:26 osjerwyn yes
20:26 schnydszch The museum so far is actually not free
20:26 cait of course
20:26 schnydszch The location is not free so far
20:27 drojf the proposal clearly said no fee. otherwise it may have been rejected. i have concerns about it to be honest
20:27 rangi yep, normally sponsorship is sought to cover costs
20:27 cait maybe it would be good to get a call to sponsors out early
20:27 osjerwyn we are thinking lunch and snacks what di usually prefer?
20:27 drojf what rangi and cait say
20:27 schnydszch And yeah we are calling sponsors as of this momebt, formal letters to follow
20:28 nuentoter_ Yes, you cannot move forward in any financial respect, if you do not know what your costs will be. You do not know the costs until sponsors line up and sign something
20:28 thd osjerwyn: Have efforts been taken to find sponsors even sponsors unrelated to Koha who might help defray costs.
20:28 osjerwyn yes we will!
20:29 schnydszch As you can see we have partnered with a local organization since we are only volunteers in order to have some legal entity to ask for sponsorship
20:29 cait i think it might be early for registrations - call for sponsors, call for papers... and thing smight line up financially before you ask for registrations
20:29 osjerwyn it just so happen last month that we won the bid
20:29 BobB in my opinion any fee should be absolutely minimised, so as not to exclude local participants in particular
20:30 BobB seek sponsorship first
20:30 thd osjerwyn: Just so it should be premature to assume undefrayed expenses.
20:30 rangi i agree with BobB
20:30 osjerwyn we are working on with the sponsors currently
20:31 osjerwyn do kohacon has international sponsors from the past? like EBSCO?
20:31 cait osjerwyn: yes
20:31 osjerwyn could someone give me a list it could help
20:31 cait let me find the link from last year
20:32 thd osjerwyn: Yes, local and international sponsors have supported past Kohacons even with no connection to Koha at least for the local ones.
20:32 cait
20:32 mario joined #koha
20:32 cait the kohacon websites usually list them somewhere, this is from Greece
20:32 osjerwyn alright got it!
20:32 schnydszch By the way jerwyn will set up the website :) so call for sponsors and papers are taken into account
20:32 cait it's been a mix of koha support providers, library suppliers and local businesses i think
20:33 osjerwyn cait copy that
20:33 BobB definitely ask EBSCO
20:33 osjerwyn this would help
20:33 BobB and after KohaUS, I would ask Bibliotecha too
20:33 osjerwyn another thing with the food. what is usually the set up?
20:34 osjerwyn lunch and snacks? what do you prefer?
20:34 CrispyBran #info
20:34 davidnind joined #koha
20:34 cait osjerwyn: i tihnk greece has been the first with lunch provided
20:34 rangi osjerwyn: normally there is only snacks
20:34 cait yep
20:35 rangi usually people eat at local restaurants etc
20:35 osjerwyn maybe we could remove the lunch so we could cut of the budget?
20:35 rangi so that is an option, if you dont get sponsorshipt for lunches ... people can get their own
20:35 rangi yeah
20:35 cait it's also ok to ask people to pay for the day activity between conf and hackfest usually i think
20:35 rangi what i would do, is aim for it, but if you dont get enough to cover it
20:36 osjerwyn #rangi got it
20:36 BobB esp if there  are cafes and restaurants near the venue
20:36 rangi yes that is right, the cultural day between often has some costs
20:36 schnydszch Noted on cait and rangi. I've been to many local conferences, there's always lunch but there's registration fee. The group will concur on this.
20:36 osjerwyn yes lots of cafes and restaurants
20:36 rangi excellent, i prefer that too
20:37 rangi that way we give back to the local community a little
20:37 cait it might be easier if possible for people to pay food/excursion when there
20:37 cait then in advance
20:37 rangi by spending money in their cafes
20:37 schnydszch there's even a so-called Museum Cafe nearby
20:37 cait good thought rangi :)
20:38 rangi exciting :)
20:38 nuentoter_ ok so you guys make software thats used in libraries, why dont you cater to those markets for sponsors. with libraries popping up maker spaces across the country (usa) places like might be a possible venue
20:38 nuentoter_ also
20:39 osjerwyn schnydszch can you please confirm the date
20:39 schnydszch those are are taken into account cait rangi, the group will concur. But we encourage everyone to fill up the google form once it's up. We will post it in koha mailing list.
20:39 schnydszch June 13-17
20:39 CrispyBran left #koha
20:39 CrispyBran joined #koha
20:39 CrispyBran left #koha
20:39 CrispyBran joined #koha
20:39 cait schnydszch: is there a rough schedule?
20:40 cait hackfest, conf, fun day? :)
20:40 BobB how many conference days, fun day, how many hackfest days?
20:40 schnydszch Nuentoter, that's noted. By the way tbe president of the organization we have tied up with is a staff of the US embassy. So those coming from the US and ne3ds assistance probably we can ask him
20:40 cait :)
20:41 osjerwyn schnydszch is it June 12-16 Monday - Friday?
20:41 jrm_ joined #koha
20:41 schnydszch Cait:  same formats as before 3 days conf. 2 days hackfest
20:41 schnydszch Jerwyn 13 is tuesday 16 is saturday
20:42 schnydszch Third day musem tour
20:42 JesseM joined #koha
20:42 schnydszch Third day half day museum tour
20:42 osjerwyn alright just for the record
20:43 cait osjerwyn: so 2.5 days conf, half a day museum tour, 2 days hackfest? :)
20:43 cait just trying to get it right
20:44 schnydszch Yes cait
20:44 cait is hte hackfest also at the museum or at another location?
20:44 osjerwyn same location
20:45 BobB the main requirement for hackfest is lots of broadband, reliable broadband
20:46 osjerwyn BobB we are aware of that
20:46 drojf or a usb stick with master ;)
20:46 osjerwyn good thing Philippines started with the Fibr
20:46 BobB ahead of us :)
20:47 schnydszch we are aware of that. We are in the central business district and filipinas heritage library can provide that and another sponsor we've informally talked to
20:47 cait cool
20:48 magnuse joined #koha
20:48 cait sounds like you got things under control :)
20:48 osjerwyn can some disclose to us how much EBSCO usually give for sponsorship?
20:48 osjerwyn just rough estimate
20:49 cait i don't know, you might want to email the last organizers
20:49 BobB i have no idea
20:49 BobB good idea cait
20:49 thd osjerwyn: You should also not necessarily presume that they have a usual amount.
20:49 cait that's probably true
20:49 cait hm
20:49 schnydszch .we will try and  check calling cards :)
20:49 cait but
20:49 cait for the last kohacon they had levels of sponsorship
20:50 cait and ebsco and others are listed kohappiest
20:50 osjerwyn alright thanks for the info! :)
20:50 drojf but ebsco has folio now. i would not just assume they are going to sponsor
20:51 drojf talk to them. early
20:51 osjerwyn I started to hear more about folio what is it?
20:52 phred See
20:52 drojf not really a meeting topic
20:52 thd osjerwyn: Different levels of sponsorship may sometimes have different size of notices, placement order or something, or may only be distinguished by the level contributing.
20:52 cait i think it's hard to explain right now - at least for me
20:52 rangi i would also be cautious about strings with their sponsorship, i really dont think a talk about folio is appropriate at a kohacon
20:52 rangi theyve done one, that's enough
20:54 cait i thnk best is not to focus on EBSCO too much but look for sponsorhip in general - and yeah, look out for strings attached
20:54 jrm_ have any of you guys looked into twitch as a sponsor? they have a creative channel on there that includes all kinds of web and game developers, coders and script kids streaming them just coding. They could possibly be looked at for the streaming the even t
20:55 schnydszch jrm: we take note of that
20:55 osjerwyn cait got it
20:56 BobB I'd also be cautious about becoming dependant on anyone who sells closed source software or locks up content
20:56 drojf for 2.5 days of conference sponsored talk slots should probably avoided
20:57 drojf (and in general :P )
20:57 BobB i think i've come the circle there :)
20:58 rangi :)
20:58 davidnind left #koha
20:58 CrispyBran Maybe TalkingTech, LibraryThing, ????
20:58 rangi more proprietary?
20:58 rangi pass :)
20:58 cait is there anything more or should we move on? :)
20:58 drojf maybe we skip the fundraising part for now?
20:59 phred Does Canonical ever sponsor conferences?
20:59 drojf move on
20:59 cait thx for hte update schnydszch and osjerwyn!
20:59 cait #info Please check logs - tons of information about Kohacon16 there.
20:59 cait #topic KohaCon18
20:59 Topic for #koha is now KohaCon18 (Meeting topic: General IRC meeting 7 September 2016)
21:00 cait when should we open bidding officially for the next conference?
21:00 BobB err, 17?
21:00 schnydszch Yewh we move on and we encourage the koha community with inkling of attending kohacon20q7 in the philippines to register early once the google form is up
21:00 rangi yeah we could have a conference meeting :)
21:00 BobB no, you are right, we just dealt with 17, eh
21:00 cait schnydszch: noted :)
21:01 cait shoudl we just open it?
21:01 cait i think Europe is still out
21:01 cait so we got no valid bid atm
21:02 drojf con: bid might be invalid until we vote. pro: people can start thinking about it
21:02 cait shoudl we have a quick vote or postpone to another meeting?
21:02 thd We do not have a wiki page yet for KohaCon 18
21:02 thd Still seems early to me
21:03 cait ok
21:03 cait so let's postpone
21:03 cait #info Decision about opening Kohacon18 bid postponed to next meeting
21:03 cait #topic Actions from last meeting
21:03 Topic for #koha is now Actions from last meeting (Meeting topic: General IRC meeting 7 September 2016)
21:04 cait #info no actions from last meeting
21:04 cait #topic Date for next meeting
21:04 Topic for #koha is now Date for next meeting (Meeting topic: General IRC meeting 7 September 2016)
21:04 cait hm the normal date would be...5 october
21:05 thd 5 Oct 10 UTC?
21:05 osjerwyn what is the time now in UTC?
21:05 cait hm would work for europe
21:05 cait osjerwyn: try googling 10 utc (it's what i do :) )
21:06 cait we started 20 utc, so should be 21 now
21:06 jrm_ kohacon 17 was opened to bids in november 15, not a stretch from now for 18
21:06 thd osjerwyn: It is now a little after 21 UTC. The meeting started at 20 UTC.
21:07 BobB[…]ck/converted.html
21:07 osjerwyn cait: thanks!
21:07 mik joined #koha
21:07 thd jrm_ Probably more attention to announcements in October and November than early September.
21:07 cait no vetos
21:07 osjerwyn 21 UTC is good for me
21:08 cait osjerwyn: we usually try to shift it around
21:08 osjerwyn got it
21:08 schnydszch joined #koha
21:08 cait #agreed Next meeting will be 5 October, 10 UTC
21:08 cait #endmeeting
21:08 Topic for #koha is now Welcome to the #koha IRC chat | Code of conduct -[…]/code-of-conduct/ | Please use for pastes | Installation guide for Koha is
21:08 huginn Meeting ended Wed Sep  7 21:08:56 2016 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at . (v 0.1.4)
21:08 huginn Minutes:        http://meetings.koha-community[…]-09-07-20.00.html
21:08 huginn Minutes (text): http://meetings.koha-community[…]6-09-07-20.00.txt
21:08 huginn Log:            http://meetings.koha-community[…]07-20.00.log.html
21:09 cait thx everyone for attending!
21:09 tcohen joined #koha
21:09 BobB thanks cait!
21:09 mik_ joined #koha
21:09 tcohen hi
21:09 cait tcohen: your timing is off :)
21:09 jrm_ lol
21:09 JoshB joined #koha
21:10 jrm_ hmmm i dont know why nuentoter hasnt timed out yet, i accidentally closed that browser half an hour ago or so
21:10 BobB osjerwyn, schnydszch I hope the political situation in your country does not deterioate
21:10 drojf cait++
21:10 osjerwyn BobB: not really
21:10 drojf good night #koha
21:10 BobB we hear of extra judicial killings etc
21:11 BobB one potential kohacon attendee has already mentioned it to me
21:11 schnydszch BobB only drug users
21:11 schnydszch A
21:11 BobB drug users have human rights, don't they?
21:11 osjerwyn BobB: Philippine is in good shape now, and best is yet to come. except for the druglords
21:11 schnydszch that's taken care of, media just hyping it up
21:12 BobB well, we'll see
21:12 osjerwyn thats wrong news!
21:12 osjerwyn believe us
21:12 jrm_ everyone has human rights, the problem is in others abilities or willingness to respect them
21:12 tcohen cait: my timing?
21:12 tcohen meeting!
21:12 wahanui somebody said meeting was in two days, i thought was tomorrow. plenty of time then
21:12 jrm_ tcohen you came in just as the meeting ended
21:12 tcohen ah!
21:13 cait tcohen: yep meeting ;)
21:13 schnydszch media oversensationalize and onlg drug lords are taken care of. The president is very much taking his part of eradicating drugs in the Philippines
21:13 osjerwyn only connected with drug are dying. not by rape, rob,
21:13 tcohen :-(
21:13 jrm_ we decided everybody that uses koha gets a pack of girlscout cookies of their choice mailed to them
21:14 mik_ I use koha a lot
21:14 osjerwyn jrm: for free? hehe
21:14 jrm_ i said nothing of finances, i thought thats what we were talking about sponsors for
21:14 osjerwyn ohhhhh
21:15 mik_ Oh so there's a rub in it. As usual :-(
21:18 nuentoter jrm shush your cookie talk
21:19 wizzyrea O.o
21:20 wizzyrea sorry cookie talk is always allowed here
21:20 thd cait: What do you know or suspect about the relationship between OLE code and Folio code?
21:22 tcohen thd, they are not related
21:22 rangi or are they
21:23 drojf i'd say they are
21:23 rangi theres at least 4 different stories floating around
21:23 rangi and I would agree with drojf
21:23 rangi
21:23 drojf but i wanted to go to bed. i'll let you decide :)
21:23 tcohen i've met EBSCO representatives in july, and they told it was a fresh development from indexdata
21:23 drojf good night o/
21:24 rangi yes thats what they said then
21:24 tcohen bye!
21:24 rangi thats not what they told the OLE people
21:24 Francesca joined #koha
21:24 rangi it looks to me like it will be OLE, but instead of the kuali back end stuff
21:24 rangi it will be using this Okapi thing they have built
21:24 rangi
21:25 tcohen indexdata was supposed to implement the 'backbone' (that's what they called it)
21:25 tcohen and some 'reference modules'
21:25 rangi yeah
21:25 rangi the least important bits ;-)
21:25 tcohen hehe
21:25 rangi but that was back when it was going to be a platform
21:25 tcohen that's where community comes in
21:25 rangi now its fairly clear its just an ils
21:26 tcohen they want open source communities to build their own modules
21:26 tcohen and so propietary
21:26 rangi i think you are listening to what they are marketing
21:26 rangi not watching what they are doing :)
21:26 tcohen that's 100% true, as I haven't seen the code
21:27 Francesca joined #koha
21:28 cait there is a gui mock-up online
21:29 thd cait: The GUI mock-up did not seem to be other than a set of screen shots to me but maybe I missed something.
21:29 cait thd: yeah, mock up - fake still :)
21:29 Francesca joined #koha
21:29 cait but it looks like it has ils features
21:29 bag YAils
21:30 rangi there are some modules
21:30 rangi[…]isitions-postgres
21:30 cait bag?
21:30 bag boring
21:30 rangi
21:30 bag yet another ils
21:30 rangi etc
21:30 rangi yeah
21:30 bag sort of like YAML cait
21:30 cait ah i see
21:31 rangi i mean ill keep an eye on it, but it is pretty meh at the moment
21:32 thd Is EBSCO seem to be trying to obtain something which they can control or do the not understand how successful FOSS projects are founded?
21:33 nuentoter i would bet they very well know how FOSS projects work and are probably taking advantage of that.
21:33 wizzyrea I wouldn't bet that.
21:34 wizzyrea I would bet that they *think* they know
21:34 * nuentoter corrected
21:34 nuentoter true
21:36 rangi *nod*
21:38 thd The supposed initial idea of mix and match library system modules with a commonly agreed API has never caught on and its absence has been disappointing.
21:39 thd However, if one company is developing the API it is never going to be a 'community' API standard.
21:40 thd I also understand better now that any API on which everyone could agree would never be sufficient for what people really need in a library management system.
21:42 JesseM joined #koha
21:44 thd I note AGPL being killed again[…]ts/master/LICENSE .
21:51 rangi its snowing
21:51 rangi this is broken
22:19 tcohen rangi: in wellington??
22:22 rangi yeah
22:28 JesseM joined #koha
22:33 JesseM_ joined #koha
22:36 tcohen joined #koha
22:41 talljoy1 joined #koha
22:44 talljoy2 joined #koha
22:55 Francesca joined #koha
22:55 papa joined #koha
23:08 Francesca @wunder wlg
23:08 huginn Francesca: The current temperature in Wellington, New Zealand is 8.0°C (11:00 AM NZST on September 08, 2016). Conditions: Light Rain Showers. Humidity: 76%. Dew Point: 4.0°C. Windchill: 2.0°C. Pressure: 30.01 in 1016 hPa (Steady).
23:13 tcohen joined #koha
23:34 tcohen joined #koha
23:37 lisette joined #koha
23:39 lisette Does anyone know how I could print an invoice from the patron account screen that includes the barcode of an item that is being paid for, but looks similar to the invoice that prints currently?
23:44 chrisvella__ joined #koha
23:45 BobB hi chrisvella__
23:49 tcohen is 'persistence' the right name for a DB config section?
23:49 tcohen persistence: { database: mysql, name: blah, user: bleh, ... }
23:51 rangi storage?
23:52 rangi lisette: i dont think you can without some dev work, it;d have to be a pdf i think, or at least the barcode would have to be an image
23:54 rocio left #koha
23:57 lisette @rangi, thanks I think we figured out how to get the info we need by putting it into the description of charges.
23:57 huginn lisette: I'll give you the answer just as soon as RDA is ready
23:57 rangi cool, or you meant just the numbers/letters? not the actual barcode?
23:58 lisette yeah, just the numbers/letters so we could have the title, barcode,and outstanding amount all together. Sometimes the simplest answer gets glossed over.

| Channels | #koha index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | plain, newest first | summary