IRC log for #koha, 2013-10-07

All times shown according to UTC.

Time S Nick Message
00:13 jcamins eythian: wish I were in Australia.
00:14 jcamins They have reasonable copyright laws, so those books are public domain.
00:14 eythian do they not sell to the US?
00:14 wizzyrea US has stupid copyright laws
00:14 jcamins eythian: they probably do, but that doesn't make my country any less stupid. :(
00:15 wizzyrea so books that are public domain in many other places aren't in the US
00:15 eythian the best money can buy
00:15 wizzyrea so. stupid.
00:35 tcohen joined #koha
01:29 mtompset joined #koha
01:30 mtompset Greetings, #koha.
01:30 mtompset blou: Are you still here?! Or did you just leave your IRC client running since Friday.
04:18 Oak joined #koha
04:18 * Oak waves
04:48 cait joined #koha
05:22 mtompset joined #koha
05:37 eythian http://blog.oxforddictionaries[…]9/oed-researcher/
05:47 mtompset Greetings, eythian.
05:47 mtompset I'm having a problem with self-checkout log in.
05:48 mtompset Any ideas what I have to configure to get it to work?
06:20 * magnuse waves
06:26 mtompset Greetings, magnuse.
06:26 magnuse hiya mtompset
06:26 * mtompset cheers, "THERE! I got self-checkout to work."
06:29 magnuse yay!
06:29 mtompset Now to contemplate bug 10799
06:29 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10799 critical, P5 - low, ---, koha-bugs, NEW , Able to become self-checkout staff user in OPAC
06:32 mtompset What fun things are you working on, magnuse?
06:32 magnuse fixing leftovers from a migration
06:32 magnuse the old system "forgot" to include barcodes in the exported data
06:32 magnuse or they exported the equvalent of itemnumbers in place of the barcodes
06:33 mtompset Yuck.
06:33 mtompset Well, at least there should be a way to map them behind the scenes to fix it.
06:33 magnuse got a file now with itemnumbers and barcodes, so i just have to turn that into "update items set barcode = x where barcode = y"
06:33 * mtompset nods.
06:33 magnuse yeah, it's almost too easy...
06:33 magnuse (famous last words...)
06:34 mtompset Your pain will come for the indexing. :P
06:36 mtompset oh, and make sure your string matching is exact... those substring matching multiple items would be a BAD thing.
06:37 magnuse yeah, but i think it will be ok :-)
06:38 magnuse i just need to swap the columns in the file i got..
06:38 cait unimarc?
06:38 wahanui well, unimarc is[…]ted-documentation
06:39 * cait tries to catalog multilanguage authorities in unimarc before work...
06:39 * cait must be crazy
06:39 mtompset If anyone can do it, you can, cait. :)
06:40 cait hm doesn't seem so
06:40 mtompset Ah... I didn't know that RUSMARC was UNIMARC. I thought it was a MARC21 variant.
06:41 reiveune joined #koha
06:41 reiveune hello
06:42 mtompset Bonjour, reiveune. :)
06:42 reiveune hi :)
06:43 sophie_m joined #koha
06:44 mtompset reiveune: I see you here often. Perhaps you should be on the list of regulars?
06:45 reiveune I would have to do it, yes.
06:47 cait ok, it worked :)
06:47 cait bbl
06:49 Oak cait++
06:52 busla joined #koha
06:57 laurence joined #koha
07:00 mtompset Greetings, Oak.
07:00 mtompset Shoot. 3am... I should sleep.
07:01 lds joined #koha
07:01 mtompset Have a great day (24 hour period), #koha.
07:03 Oak @later tell mtompset[…]wl-or-a-lark.html
07:03 huginn Oak: The operation succeeded.
07:11 kivilahtio joined #koha
07:15 samueld joined #koha
07:16 samueld hi everybody :-)
07:19 alex_a joined #koha
07:19 kf joined #koha
07:25 alex_a_ joined #koha
07:28 * magnuse grumbles about weird file formats
07:29 * kf grumbles about mondays and time moving too fast
07:29 kf morning magnuse :)
07:29 magnuse kia ora kf
08:11 gaetan_B joined #koha
08:12 gaetan_B hello
08:19 Oak joined #koha
08:30 Barrc left #koha
08:38 lds1 joined #koha
08:39 busla joined #koha
08:44 paul_p joined #koha
09:21 drojf joined #koha
09:21 drojf good morning #koha
09:23 drojf if less people had voted twice or even more, i would have a preliminary result of the kohacon 2014 vote now :/
09:24 magnuse ouch!
09:24 kf :(
09:25 kf good morning drojf
09:25 kf we missed you :)
09:26 kf and drojf++
09:26 magnuse yeah drojf++
09:26 magnuse are there multiple occurences of the same email addresses?
09:26 kf patch workflow?
09:26 wahanui patch workflow is at[…]nt-patch_Workflow
09:27 drojf hi kf and magnuse
09:28 drojf magnuse: yes. and obviously same people using a gmail and another address. or a name+something@gmail address on top of the regular one
09:29 drojf more than i would have expected
09:36 magnuse sounds like un-fun
09:36 magnuse and did they vote for the same thing with both/all addresses?
09:39 drojf yes, i guess that was the point of doing that. :P we will see, i check tonight
09:43 magnuse yay!
09:46 drojf let's hope it is the same on both sides and blame server errors. :)
09:49 magnuse yeah
09:49 kf drojf++ :)
09:49 kf for being thorough
09:49 * kf thinks we volunteered the right person for the job ;)
10:16 magnuse ooh, massive code duplication between and
10:16 magnuse and now i want to add a version for normarc...
10:16 magnuse most of those files could go in an include
10:17 magnuse what's the proper way to do that for marc21, i wonder
10:17 magnuse use an include for normarc, then if/when that gets pushed, do a followup for marc21, using the same include?
10:17 magnuse yeah, i think that has to be it
10:23 drojf spoiler alert: i had another look at the votes. there are not as many duplicates as i thought at first, some things look a little fishy on both sides and the vote is very clearly in favour of argentina for kohacon 2014.
10:23 kf WOHOOOOO!
10:23 kf :)
10:29 magnuse yay for clear results!
10:29 kf that too :)
10:33 magnuse and yay for bug 10010
10:33 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10010 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, Pushed to Master , Use jQueryUI Accordion to display constraints in MARC subfield editor
10:50 kf @later tell tcohen congratulations!
10:50 huginn kf: The operation succeeded.
10:52 bgkriegel joined #koha
10:54 drojf the mailing lists don't like CC
10:54 drojf ^^
11:04 bgkriegel Good news for us!! :)
11:05 drojf yes, congratulations :=
11:05 drojf :)
11:24 magnuse bgkriegel++ tcohen++
11:32 jwagner joined #koha
11:34 kivilahtio Hi #Koha! I think I found a bug, but I am not sure. I was writing test cases and stumbled upon this behaviour. Item has no itemtype or collection code, but the biblio has them defined in the bibliotems-table. When I use the C4::Biblio::GetBiblioFromItemNumber( $item->{itemnumber} ) I actually get the contents of the items-table, instead of the biblioitems-table. So even if the biblioitems-table has the collection code and itemtype defined,
11:34 kivilahtio they wont be included in the Get"Biblio"-SELECT. This is very cofusing, since I thought I am pulling a biblioitem from the DB instead of a item.
11:36 pug joined #koha
11:37 pug left #koha
11:40 pug joined #koha
11:41 kivilahtio I just realized that the biblioitem has no collection code, just itemtype
11:54 kf kivilahtio: I think you don't understand how it works
11:54 kf biblioitems are not items
11:54 kf biblio + bilbioitems = bibliographic information, items = items
11:55 kf it's because koha used to have a frbr like database structure that there are biblioitems
11:55 kf and the itemtype there won't be used if you have item level itypes
11:55 kf which i woudl recommend
11:56 drnoe joined #koha
11:57 kivilahtio kf: ok
11:58 kf it is an option that you can use a bilbio level itemtyp - item-level_itypes I think
11:59 meliss joined #koha
12:01 drnoe joined #koha
12:02 kivilahtio kf: I think I am misunderstanding the sql :) or some strange behaviour in my IDE
12:08 kf not sure about that routine
12:11 collum joined #koha
12:21 oleonard joined #koha
12:21 ebegin joined #koha
12:22 drnoe joined #koha
12:23 NateC joined #koha
12:23 oleonard Hi #koha
12:25 kf hi oleonard :)
12:26 Oak joined #koha
12:27 magnuse hiya oleonard
12:33 tcohen joined #koha
12:34 tomas_ joined #koha
12:35 tcohen morning
12:35 kf good morning :)
12:35 kivilahtio g'day
12:36 tcohen bug 10609
12:36 kf tcohen: congratulations :)
12:36 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10609 trivial, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, Passed QA , Use branch name rather than branch code in
12:36 tcohen oh
12:36 tcohen #koha: thanks for trusting us :-D
12:37 kf :)
12:37 kf I am very happy with the results :)
12:38 tcohen too!!
12:39 * kf throws confetti
13:18 edveal joined #koha
13:31 oleonard kf: Koha seems to handle manual entry of dates pretty well now, aside from the 12:00AM time if you don't include one
13:32 oleonard It didn't like a 1900 date ("1900-01-01"), which was translated to 3800-01-01, but it correctly rejected two-digit years
13:33 kf oleonard: that sounds good
13:33 kf what do you think? could we remove the read-only on that grounds? with a bit more testing?
13:33 kf or should it be kept and needs to be a syspref... or third option?
13:34 oleonard I think we could remove it after doing some more testing
13:36 kf sounds good to me
13:36 kf :)
13:36 kf i will try to do some with different date formats
13:38 kf oleonard++ thx for your input :)
13:44 kivilahtio wow, extending these UseBranchTransferLimits to holds is a big thing :)
13:44 kivilahtio just looking through the and it is pretty interesting
13:46 maximep joined #koha
13:47 oleonard Extending X to holds is a big thing for any value of X.
13:51 kf kivilahtio: don't forget... small testable steps.
13:51 kf especially difficult to do with holds, but needed
13:55 talljoy joined #koha
14:06 kivilahtio kf: How should I format my patches then? I have one as a central access point to check if Branchtransfer is ok + unit tests. Then I need to modify all use cases of reservation to support BranchTransferLimits. This includes API's and OPAC and staff client. Then I need to modify the . I understood that you should have only one patch, but I think that might be a bit impossible :)  How should I link my bugs together? Can I
14:06 kivilahtio make one patch and have other patches depend on that? like bug_10993 -> bug_10995 -> bug_10996 ?
14:07 talljoy joined #koha
14:07 kivilahtio maybe using the depends-field in bugzilla?
14:09 kf yes
14:09 kf you can have bugs that depend on each other
14:14 lds joined #koha
14:35 luca_ joined #koha
14:35 laurence left #koha
14:36 luca_ hi, i have this problem: i want to use the field 084 in marc record (because i want to use an other classification number)
14:36 luca_ but if the book hasn't the field, i can see just the 82 field (dewej classification)
14:37 luca_ How can i solve this
14:37 luca_ ?
14:37 lds joined #koha
14:39 luca_ i don't know how to do...
14:39 kf luca_: you probably need to adjust your bibliographic frameworks to have the field not hidden as a first step
14:42 luca_ ok, i'm going to try
14:42 luca_ ...
14:43 luca_ no, doesn't work....
14:44 luca_ we set 84 mandatory:yes
14:44 luca_ but it still doesn't show
14:46 kf check the hidden value
14:46 kf and the tab
14:46 kf in the advancedoptions
14:46 kf and not only the field, but also take a look at the subfields
14:49 luca_ "advanced options" where is?
14:57 luca_ advanced option in wich menu?
14:58 moodaepo joined #koha
14:59 luca_ where i can set the hidden filds?
14:59 luca_ i want to see the 84 field...
15:00 kf you can make it visible in cataloguing
15:00 kf to make it visible in the detail pages more work is needed
15:00 edveal joined #koha
15:01 bgkriegel joined #koha
15:04 luca_ yes, i want to see it in the MARC record, when for instance I click "new record"
15:04 kf please take a look at the manual about modifying your bibliographic frameworks - I think you need to take a look at the tab field and the hidden values should be empty
15:05 luca_ if I get a marc record (from z39.50) in which it is already visible then, ok, I have it
15:06 luca_ I already tried modifying bib-famework, but didn't find the "visible" field
15:07 jcamins luca_: http://manual.koha-community.o[…]tml#editsubfields
15:20 luca_ OK, thank you!!!
15:21 luca_ We had not seen the "Advanced constaints" TAB
15:21 luca_ Thank you very much!
15:42 phasefx2 joined #koha
15:52 sophie_m left #koha
16:07 edveal joined #koha
16:07 kf left #koha
16:10 mtompset joined #koha
16:10 mtompset Greetings, #koha.
16:26 reiveune bye
16:26 reiveune left #koha
16:41 mtompset Anyone familiar with forcing koha to do SSL?
16:45 cait joined #koha
16:50 mtompset Greetings, druthb cait. :)
16:51 * cait waves
16:51 druthb Hi, mtompset. :)
16:53 mtompset Have either of you ever forced Koha to do SSL?
16:53 druthb it's not hard at all, once you have a certificate installed.
16:54 druthb (tjat
16:54 druthb (that's the tetchy part)
16:55 druthb There's nothing about Koha per se that is SSL or non-SSL, mtompset.  You just serve the OPAC or staff client over SSL ports, or not, that's all.
16:55 mtompset sudo openssl req -newkey rsa:2048 -new -x509 -days 3652 -nodes -out kohassl.crt -keyout kohassl.pem
16:55 mtompset right?
16:56 druthb That's the first part.  you need to make a certificate signing request, and go get your SSL key from whomever, and install it, after that.
16:57 mtompset Can't I run with this in my test system if I accept the evilness?
16:57 cait mtompset: we run all our installation under https - opac and staff
16:58 druthb you can do a self-signed cert for your test install, but it will annoy people to do it in production.
16:58 druthb
16:58 cait yeah, lots of evil looking warning messages without a proper cert
16:59 druthb The first five hits are all good stuff...some do dummy-certs, some do commercial certs.
17:10 * mtompset grumbles about apache.
17:10 mtompset Can't get it to work.
17:13 paul_p joined #koha
17:17 tcohen #koha, question: i have librarians that say Koha doesn't show some map-specific data on XSLT detail pages
17:18 cait that is possible i think
17:18 tcohen this kind of request should be trated as a general bug or is it something to fix indoors?
17:18 cait hmi woud like to see it added
17:18 jcamins General bug.
17:18 wahanui general bug is probably here, but didn't get much attention :[…]w_bug.cgi?id=7525
17:18 huginn Bug 7525: enhancement, P5 - low, ---, gmcharlt, NEW , some database fields are displayed 'as is' when they are linked to autorised values
17:18 cait :)
17:18 tcohen thanks cait, jcamins
17:18 cait a lot of libraries can't do this kind of enh - and then deleting is easier then adding :)
17:19 cait i mean i'd like the default to be quite complete :)
17:19 tcohen ok, that'd be a good general rule
17:23 tcohen hmm, besides the UTF stuff, we could make columns.def translatable
17:23 tcohen (during hackfest)
17:24 cait that would be nice :)
17:24 cait i have some list too :)
17:24 tcohen adding to the wiki pagfe
17:24 tcohen there's a revolution at UNC because of KohaCon14
17:24 cait oh? :)
17:24 tcohen librarians are creating a KohaCon task force
17:24 tcohen heh
17:24 cait :)
17:25 cait and sending a spy to kohacon13? ;)
17:25 tcohen exactly
17:25 tcohen hidden behind his IT profile
17:26 cait :)
17:26 cait i am glad the librarians are so excited about it :)
17:33 druthb oh!  congratulations, tcohen, on Cordoba's selection for next year!  :)
17:36 cait isn#t it great? :)
17:39 druthb is!
17:39 tcohen :D
17:42 mtompset Woo hoo! I kicked it into SSL.
17:42 mtompset Got the default SSL working.
17:42 mtompset Then modified the working koha instance file and ports.conf accordingly.
17:44 mtompset Now the question is... is that the best way to handle koha?
17:45 jcamins As opposed to?
17:47 druthb Any time *any* personal information is being passed around the 'net, SSL is better than not-SSL...I think that's a pretty blanket-able statement.
17:48 mtompset putting up a proxy in front of it.
17:49 mtompset and having the proxy map HTTPS to HTTP behind the scenes.
17:49 tcohen there's a desing problem with HTTPS
17:49 jcamins Given that you're using Apache + CGI no matter what, and otherwise have no reason to use a proxy, I can't really think of a reason to add that much complexity.
17:50 tcohen the SSL conection is set 'before' the GET is sent
17:50 mtompset how is that a design problem, tcohen?
17:50 tcohen and browsers complain about the SSL certificate CN not matching the URL
17:51 tcohen its a design problem in name-based virtual hosts
17:51 jcamins tcohen: that's why you should have one IP per hsot.
17:51 jcamins *host
17:51 tcohen if you host only one URL in the server...
17:52 jcamins Per virtual host.
17:52 jcamins You can have as many IPs as you want on a single server.
17:52 tcohen agreed, that's IP based virtual hosts
17:52 jcamins At least, you're unlikely to run out. I'm not sure if there's an actual limit.
17:52 mtompset oh, so like library and library-admin for some not matching the certificate for
17:53 jcamins mtompset: for that you'd probably just buy a wildcard certificate.
17:56 jcamins mtompset: you might want to consider reading a good introduction to HTTP. I'm sure O'Reilly has one.
18:03 mtompset A signoff and HTTPS... I guess it hasn't been too unproductive today. :)
18:08 tcohen bye #koha
18:08 tcohen thanks all of u for your support
18:24 drojf joined #koha
18:24 drojf good evening #koha
18:24 cait hi drojf
18:24 drojf hi cait :)
18:36 drojf1 joined #koha
18:41 mtompset Greetings, drojf.
18:43 rangi drojf: its not the cc, the mailing lists dont like too many recipients, it looks like spam to them and it gets held for me to moderate
18:43 cait morning rangi
18:44 mtompset Greetings, rangi. :)
18:44 mtompset Is that TO or CC or a combination of recipients?
18:44 rangi combination
18:44 mtompset I had that happen once to me.
18:45 drojf rangi: yes i found an email telling me that. i sent another one only to the main list. the dev list automatically threw away two of the ccs i think
18:46 rangi there will probably be a few to the main list now, cos ive just let them ones being held through
18:51 oleonard Sometimes you have to send a few follow-ups to push the first one through the pipe
18:53 cait wise :)
19:01 rangi
19:02 cait hm, is the conf program somewhere?
19:02 rangi[…]IS-OSS&F=&S=&P=52
19:03 rangi therer
19:07 rangi *cough* open source *cough*
19:07 cait i know
19:08 rangi ah well
19:08 rangi karma
19:08 oleonard I don't get it
19:09 rangi why they call it open source?
19:09 cait on the website they call it community source
19:09 cait i think
19:10 oleonard I'm not familiar with Kuali
19:10 cait but others don't
19:10 cait oleonard: it's a group funded Ils
19:10 cait programmed by one single company
19:10 jcamins And invite people to apply to work on the system at some point in the future.
19:10 rangi with a few million dollars in funding
19:10 cait from specifications the libraries agree too
19:10 cait yes, lots of funding from mellon foundation
19:11 rangi the code may be open one day, but its not now, and its certainly not openly developed
19:13 rangi right school time
19:13 rangi bbiab
19:35 talljoy1 joined #koha
19:45 oleonard Oh look, IRC regulars, your information is out of date: Maybe. Some of you.
19:45 cait :)
19:45 * cait it totally up to date
19:47 pianohacker joined #koha
20:05 magnuse @later tell rangi: did you have any more contact with the catmandu people, about attending kohacon?
20:05 huginn magnuse: The operation succeeded.
20:05 rangi magnuse: none at all
20:05 rangi back btw
20:05 magnuse ah, too bad...
20:05 magnuse maybe next year? :-)
20:08 bag rangi you fly tomorrow right?  magnuse in two days :)  just kidding - but it's fun to screw up international timezones and dates :P
20:08 * magnuse is not flying anywhere...
20:08 bag oh no kohacon for you?
20:09 bag sorry man I thought you'd be coming…  but I'll see you in France again?
20:09 rambutan joined #koha
20:09 * cait waves at bag
20:10 magnuse bag: definitely no reno for me. hopefully marseille in the not too distant future! and kohacon in norway in 2018, perhaps? :-)
20:11 cait magnuse: let's fight over it :P
20:11 magnuse cait: you want to host kohacon in 2018 too?
20:11 oleonard Yes, by offering escalating levels of free sweets to attendees!
20:11 cait hehe
20:12 cait magnuse: sometime i want to... not sure when and how
20:12 magnuse cait: 2016 perhaps?
20:12 bag is the voting over for next year?
20:12 magnuse yup
20:12 magnuse argentina won
20:12 bag checks mail
20:13 bag and sees the vote :)
20:13 bag heh
20:13 cait magnuse: we will see :)
20:13 cait argentina!
20:13 wahanui i think argentina is in for kohacon13
20:13 cait wahanui kohacon14 is in Argentina!
20:13 wahanui ...but kohacon14 is submissions due by 15 September, voting to commence first week of October...
20:13 cait forget kohacon14
20:13 wahanui cait: I forgot kohacon14
20:13 cait kohacon14 is in Argentina!
20:13 cait kohacon14?
20:13 wahanui i guess kohacon14 is in Argentina!
20:14 magnuse hey, we should all meet at
20:14 cait ah hamburg, hamburg is nice
20:15 magnuse yay!
20:19 drojf magnuse: you're going?
20:20 cait please stop torturing him.
20:21 cait tsk.
20:21 drojf huh?
20:22 rangi i think he meant to swibl
20:22 cait oh
20:22 drojf yes
20:22 * cait goes to hide somewhere
20:22 magnuse drojf: i really, really want to go to swib, but i have forgotten about it for a while
20:22 drojf because i asked him a while ago and he said no. i wondered if that changed now :)
20:23 magnuse mostly, i was just thinking of a way to meet cool koha people in europe ;-)
20:23 magnuse i'll have to think about ut
20:23 magnuse s/ut/it/
20:23 drojf magnuse: oh that reminds me, can you recommend a book about semantic web? i wonder if i can use that for my thesis on lexicography
20:23 magnuse but i really, really think anyine interested in libraries and it should go there
20:25 magnuse drojf: "semantic web for the working ontologist" if you want to learn about modeling, "learning sparql" by DuCharme for the obvious reason and "programming the semantic web" by segaran, evans & taylor for the really practical programming stuff
20:26 drojf cool, i see if we got those here. thanks!
20:26 drojf magnuse++
20:26 magnuse oh well, gotta run
20:26 cait good night magnuse :)
20:26 drojf i'd consider going to SWIB but i have to hand in said thesis shortly after
20:26 magnuse well, those are the only semweb books i have read, apart from "practical rdf" whixh is way out of date
20:27 drojf and i think i will be quite insane by then :D
20:27 magnuse have fun!
20:27 drojf good night magnuse
20:29 oleonard Bye #koha
20:30 cait drojf: aren't you already? :)
20:31 drojf aaaaw, don't tell anyone
20:31 cait ok, I won't
20:31 cait it's not like this channel was logged
20:31 cait or anything
20:31 wahanui rumour has it anything is possible with enough development work :)
20:33 ebegin Hey ! How do we submit changes to KOCT ?
20:36 rangi ebegin:[…]bal.git;a=summary
20:36 rangi send a patch based against that
20:36 rangi to jonathan probably
20:51 cait ebegin: did you figure it out?
20:55 drojf1 joined #koha
20:55 cait drojf: wifi hating you again?
20:56 drojf how do you know? :D
20:57 cait lucky guess
20:57 ebegin cait, not yet, I was busy at something else
21:25 eythian hi
21:27 bag hey eythian
21:27 wahanui go back to bed, eythian
21:27 edveal_ joined #koha
21:28 j_wright_ joined #koha
21:28 cait wahanui botsnack cookie
21:28 wahanui thanks cait :)
21:28 cait bag did you see our arrivals page on the wiki?
21:28 cait arrivals?
21:28 cait hmm
21:29 bag[…]ohacon13/Arrivals
21:29 bag yes yes I did
21:29 cait yeah that one :)
21:29 phasefx2_ joined #koha
21:29 cait and the hackfest14?
21:29 bag I was just telling pianohacker that he is flying with petter
21:29 BobB_ joined #koha
21:29 cait hm hackfest13?
21:29 wahanui hackfest13 is, like,[…]ohacon13/Hackfest
21:29 cait ah
21:29 mtj__ joined #koha
21:29 cait typoed :)
21:30 bag rangi: you should send pianohacker you're koha blobbie shirt so he can wear that and petter can look for that shirt :)
21:30 bag s/you're/your
21:30 bag :P
21:32 twirlip_ joined #koha
21:32 rangi heh
21:36 busla joined #koha
21:37 moodaepo joined #koha
21:38 jcamins BTW, if anyone wants proof that caching is about scaling just as much as speed, I just ran a whole bunch of searches load balanced across three VMs.
21:39 jcamins When it started out, CPU usage was just under 400%, and some of the searches timed out.
21:39 jcamins Once the cache warmed up, CPU usage dropped down to just above 100%.
21:40 rangi *nod*
21:41 eythian Oh yes, when I was working on, having an empty local cache caused a page load to take minutes. After that it was a second.
21:41 eythian (local cache == in my dev environment)
21:42 jcamins Once it started hitting the cache more often than not, it also got faster, but as long as my searches are reasonably fast, that's fairly unimportant next to the difference between being able to serve 100 users and being able to serve 400 users.
21:43 jcamins Also, HAProxy is really cool.
21:43 eythian or the stuff cluster's being able to serve 10 people vs. a million :)
21:43 jcamins eythian: right, but hopefully you're not using MacBook Airs to serve stuff.
21:44 eythian jcamins: no, but it's still not running on a lot of hardware.
21:44 jcamins Where stuff = not just random stuff.
21:44 eythian yeah
21:44 eythian handful of webservers.
21:44 eythian very high read load for very small write load helps too
21:44 maximep joined #koha
21:49 rangi they best sort this crap out by kohacon
21:49 rangi[…]rn-shrimp/280327/
21:50 jcamins rangi: yeah... don't see that happening.
21:51 cait rangi: because you wan to eat tons of shrimp?
21:51 rangi heh, unfortunately its not just shrimp
21:51 rangi The furlough means more than 90% of the foreign seafood Americans eat is coming through unchecked, as well as half the fruit and one-fifth of the vegetables.
21:52 eythian rangi: on the other hand, I'm sure customs won't be checking and you can just bring your own food :)
21:52 rangi hehe
21:52 jcamins Our government is dead set on setting new records on stupidity, and there aren't a lot left to break.
21:53 cait if that somehow makes me not make it to reno - i will be majorly grumpy
21:54 rangi on the plus side, reno is far from any ocean
21:54 rangi so i wasnt planning on eating sea food anyway
21:55 rangi ill just eat masses of incredibly fried stuff
21:55 cait lol
21:55 * cait likes that idea
21:55 cait although i shouldn't
21:57 rangi all steak, all the time
21:57 rangi and fries
21:57 rangi and cinamon rolls
21:57 rangi i better buy 2 seats for the return flight
21:58 rangi and of course, can only drink beer, as that water has been boiled, so its safe
21:58 rangi :)
21:59 cait lol
21:59 cait and desinfected because of the alcohol?
21:59 rangi exactly
22:00 eythian cait won't be safe then.
22:00 * rangi actually followed that rule in quite a bit of rural china
22:00 cait nope not at all
22:00 eythian She'll be drinking the water.
22:00 cait I am worried
22:00 rangi the beer rule, not the steak one
22:00 cait (nothing new there)
22:00 eythian heh
22:00 bag and hops to preserve the beer :)
22:00 cait but beer is yuck.
22:01 rangi thats crazy talk
22:01 rangi go stand in the corner
22:01 cait and coming from a german
22:01 cait nope
22:02 bag OMGinny cait!  yes yes go stand in the corner :P
22:03 cait I guess i will have to make new friends at kohacon,..
22:03 rangi hehe
22:03 jcamins cait: wine has a high enough alcohol level that you should be fine with that.
22:04 cait you are not helping jared
22:05 rangi coffee then
22:05 jcamins cait: same for hard liquor, of course. :P
22:05 rangi heh
22:05 rangi speaking of which, brb
22:05 cait jcamins: and what will you drink?
22:06 jcamins cait: water.
22:06 eythian rangi is going for hard liquor.
22:06 cait hah!
22:06 cait well, guess there are at least 4 corners in the room ;)
22:07 cait why will brasero just blink in the menu and then go away?
22:07 * cait is trying to burn an iso image here...
22:08 cait hm guess i figured it out
22:09 eythian I haven't burnt a CD in a long time now.
22:09 cait it seemed easiest
22:11 cait not so sure now
22:21 BobB joined #koha
22:31 dcook joined #koha
23:03 NateC joined #koha
23:06 NateC joined #koha
23:08 dcook joined #koha
23:19 maximep left #koha
23:29 dcook Argentina \o/
23:29 * dcook just hopes Kohacon14 isn't in Sept/Oct
23:32 papa joined #koha
23:49 mtompset Greetings, dcook papa.
23:49 mtompset Why not, dcook? Why would you want Kohacon14 is some other month than September or October?
23:49 * dcook is hoping to be travelling in Greece in Sept/Oct :p
23:51 papa hey, hi there!

| Channels | #koha index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | plain, newest first | summary