IRC log for #koha, 2013-09-02

All times shown according to UTC.

Time S Nick Message
00:03 dcook Hmm, thoughts on tests...
00:03 dcook For a new feature, I assume that you run the test after running
00:04 dcook So you should already have your database'll just be empty
00:04 jcamins Yes.
00:04 dcook For some reason, this obvious thought escaped me on Friday. That should make this test a bit easier.
00:04 dcook Thanks, jcamins :)
00:23 mtompset joined #koha
00:24 mtompset Greetings, #koha
00:24 dcook hey ya mtompset
00:24 mtompset Greetings, dcook.
00:26 dcook rangi: Looks like there's an issue with with the Koha Dashboard
00:27 dcook The "Last 5 Signoff" links aren't working
00:27 dcook They all show this:[…]/show_bug.cgi?id=<% entry.1 %>
00:33 wizzyrea the code for that is in a git somewhere
00:33 wizzyrea ...I thought
00:34 wizzyrea I am pretty sure that's a new thing that just showed up this weekend anyway
00:34 wizzyrea at least it seems new to me
00:34 dcook The bug?
00:34 wahanui rumour has it The bug is that if you scan the barcode on the circ page you aren't allowed to renew it that way
00:35 wizzyrea the dashboard bug yea
00:35 wizzyrea
00:36 wizzyrea definitely work there from this weekend
00:36 mtompset Hmm... question... what is the proper way to upgrade a git installation?
00:36 mtompset I think I've been short cutting all along, and I want to make sure I document it correctly.
00:37 wizzyrea git checkout master && git fetch && git rebase origin/master && make upgrade
00:37 dcook Although I think make upgrade might erase your db?
00:37 wizzyrea shouldn't
00:37 wizzyrea that would be a terrible bug
00:37 * dcook tries to recall
00:37 jcamins No, it won't.
00:37 wizzyrea as in no one would ever use koha if it did that.
00:38 wizzyrea because that would be mad.
00:38 dcook I had something happen last time I upgraded my git install
00:38 dcook Ah
00:38 dcook I remember
00:38 mtompset no need to point to the previous install log?
00:38 * dcook intentionally dumped his DB and had to rebuild it
00:38 wizzyrea do whatever the current instructions say to do re: upgrade
00:38 jcamins mtompset: you need to point it at the previous install log, yes.
00:39 mtompset so the checkout, fetch and rebase make sense...
00:39 wizzyrea make upgrade is also required
00:39 mtompset the perl is needed?
00:39 wizzyrea otherwise your zebra files will be out of date.
00:40 mtompset good point.
00:40 mtompset I have been short cutting.
00:40 mtompset And even a full reindex wouldn't solve that.
00:41 mtompset But are the perl Makefile.PL, make, and make steps needed to be properly thorough?
00:42 mtompset make and make test...
01:28 tcohen joined #koha
02:09 * wizzyrea waves
02:10 wizzy-test joined #koha
02:10 wizzy-test left #koha
02:11 tcohen hi wizzyrea
02:14 trendynick joined #koha
02:20 mtompset tcohen: Are you going to be concious for a little while?
02:20 mtompset Greetings, wizzyrea and tcohen. :)
02:20 tcohen hi mtompset
02:20 tcohen i'm going to bed, whats up?
02:20 mtompset I was going to send you my 31K nightmare. ;)
02:21 tcohen :-D
02:23 mtompset emailed.
02:23 mtompset not a patch.
02:24 tcohen :-D
02:25 mtompset I've asked my slightly technically minded librarian colleague to attempt to follow them.
02:25 mtompset If he succeeds after following it, I'll call it a success.
02:25 tcohen heh
02:25 tcohen i'll check it tomorrow
02:26 tcohen good job mtompset
02:36 mtompset I was talking with my Filipino colleague. He was dreaming of a hosted Koha system with an RDA framework, and having a training session to introduce people to RDA using Koha. It would be a big boost for Koha in the Philippines, given that a common complaint is that their current library software doesn't do RDA.
02:37 * dcook suggests downloading the latest RDA framework he's posted, making sure that your XSLTs show the RDA fields you want to show, and then organize the workshop.
02:37 wizzyrea ^
02:38 mtj mtompset, you can always push your too-big patch to your github/gitorious repo, for pulling
02:39 * mtompset laughs, "I don't have such a beast."
02:39 eythian gitorious is free.
02:40 mtompset Sure, but I still don't have a beast. :P
02:40 eythian you could make one.
02:40 mtompset Goodnesss... not another thing to maintain.
02:41 eythian it takes about 2 minutes to make an account.
02:41 mtj i personally found the registration process really easy
02:41 mtompset It will gather dust horribly.
02:41 eythian that doesn't really matter much.
02:42 mtompset I like to contain my messes... not create dust piles all over the internet.
02:42 eythian then you can't submit large patches.
02:43 mtj yeah, what he said ^^
02:44 mtompset it submitted to a bug report just fine.
02:44 mtompset 7764
02:45 eythian then it's not really a large patch.
02:45 mtompset 31K nightmare.
02:45 mtompset That's large for install docs.
02:45 jcamins eythian: it's the document that's too large, not the patch.
02:45 eythian oh ah
02:46 jcamins 31k is pretty small.
02:46 eythian yeah
02:46 mtompset No, it is too large.
02:46 jcamins mtompset: for a patch, it's small. For a document, yes, it is much too large.
02:46 mtompset I was able to trim the git install instructions for ubuntu to about 17-20K.
02:49 mtompset or was that packages... anyways... I was able to shrink one of them to something a little more reasonable.
02:49 mtompset but that was on the wiki.
02:49 manny joined #koha
02:49 mtompset dcook: You still around?
02:49 tcohen night #koha
02:50 mtompset Good night, tcohen.
02:50 eythian later tcohen
02:50 dcook mtompset: Always
02:50 manny good morning mtompset
02:50 dcook What's up?
02:50 mtompset manny, this is dcook. dcook this manny. dcook put out a new RDA framework. manny is my librarian colleague friend from the Philippines. :)
02:51 dcook hey ya manny
02:51 manny hi dcook
02:51 manny good morning
02:51 mtompset I figured you two should talk. ;)
02:51 dcook Not really much to talk about
02:51 manny thanks mark
02:51 mtompset where is the framework?
02:51 wahanui the framework is probably gone.
02:51 wizzyrea on the wiki
02:51 wahanui somebody said on the wiki was more information about the packages
02:51 wizzyrea shush wahanui
02:51 wizzyrea RDA framework?
02:52 jcamins framework download?
02:52 manny i am discussing to mark on how we can promote more koha using rda
02:52 jcamins framework library?
02:52 wizzyrea RDA framework is[…]le:Export_RDA.sql
02:52 dcook That be the framework
02:53 manny here in the philippines, librarians are training/ orienting about rda
02:53 mtompset so, I just source it?
02:53 wizzyrea you import it into Koha
02:53 wizzyrea Create a new empty framework, and import that onto it
02:53 wizzyrea through the interface
02:53 manny but the biggest hindrance is a ILS that can cater rda
02:54 wizzyrea Koha can deal with RDA.
02:55 manny yes, but discussing rda without a visual practice on the changes or upgrades is hard
02:55 mtompset manny, you putting it up in QA?
02:55 mtompset We already have an RDA framework.
02:55 manny so if possible to create a training site that will let them see and feel the changes in rda using koha
02:56 manny it will be a promotional thing for Koha
02:56 wizzyrea which part are you stuck on
02:56 wizzyrea 1. Install Koha
02:56 wizzyrea 2. Create a new framework
02:56 manny wizzyrea rda?
02:56 wizzyrea 3. install the linked framework into that
02:56 jcamins manny: there is nothing to prevent that. Import the framework. You're done.
02:56 wizzyrea 4. profit.
02:56 manny nope, i'm not into the import of rda framework
02:56 wizzyrea oh sorry. Don't profit.
02:57 * mtompset grins.
02:57 wizzyrea well then Koha doesn't support RDA.
02:57 jcamins Yeah, you can't not import the framework and expect Koha to magicallyuse it.
02:57 wizzyrea you have to have the framework for Koha to support RDA.
02:57 wizzyrea RDA Framework?
02:57 wahanui it has been said that RDA Framework is[…]le:Export_RDA.sql
02:57 wizzyrea ^^
02:59 manny jcamins, yes we will use the framework
02:59 jcamins Okay, good. No problem.
02:59 manny but what i'm saying is that Koha is a free ILS software that can be used in training/ orienting librarians regarding rda
02:59 mtompset I think the problem is: hosting a site for training purposes, and two actually having the training materials written. ;)
03:00 jcamins manny: sure. I see nothing to prevent that.
03:00 manny yes, you can read a lot regarding rda, but having a visual practice site will be very helpful
03:00 manny i'm thingking bywater demo site
03:01 dcook Yeah, mtompset, I think that's the thing
03:01 mtompset (we can't afford to host such a thing)
03:01 wizzyrea you have no computers on which to install koha?
03:02 manny bywater demo site will be a good practice page
03:02 manny a seperated site that will host the training practice instruction linking to bywater demo page for the actual visual training
03:03 dcook Where are you planning to do this training?
03:03 dcook Or are you planning an online training type thing?
03:03 manny online training type
03:04 mtompset and currently there is no such site.
03:04 manny my goal is for them to learn rda using Koha
03:04 mtompset is there a command-line tool?
03:04 wizzyrea soooo what are you wanting?
03:04 manny sharing my idea
03:04 mtompset a demo site that has RDA framework available.
03:05 jcamins I don't think the ByWater demo will support an entire class.
03:05 wizzyrea nah
03:05 dcook Nor would a "koha-community" demo
03:05 wizzyrea and they're not really meant for that purpose anyway
03:05 manny i agree, but it will be an orientation for them to Koha
03:05 wizzyrea it's a fine idea
03:06 manny since proprietary softwares like follet is using rda to promote their software
03:06 eythian we discovered someone was using our demo for a class
03:06 wizzyrea and Koha can definitely let you have practice with RDA
03:06 eythian they liked that it reset every day
03:06 mtompset Yes, that is a bonus. :)
03:06 jcamins eythian: small class, I guess.
03:06 manny that's a good thing since they can do the practice all over again
03:07 wizzyrea we have a package that can be installed to do that behaviour
03:07 mtompset -- so back to my framework import problem... ;) -- is there a command-line tool for this?
03:07 wizzyrea but that's kind of beside the point
03:07 wizzyrea no, you just do it through the interface
03:07 mtompset can't do it, if you get a timeout error.
03:07 wizzyrea why would you get a timeout error?
03:08 mtompset probably because of the way our systems go through a proxy?
03:08 mtompset and the QA system has pathetic memory.
03:08 wizzyrea no, there is no tool for that.
03:09 dcook On an unrelated note, what are people's thoughts on record matching rules?
03:09 jcamins What about 'em?
03:09 dcook Well, I have a record matching rule that uses the 999$c
03:09 wizzyrea LOL that's exactly my question too ^.^
03:09 jcamins I wish it were more clear what one should enter, but they work well.
03:09 dcook My OAI harvester needs the 999$c for fully functionality...
03:09 jcamins I wonder if I can run apt-cache on a Mac.
03:10 jcamins dcook: that sounds fine.
03:10 dcook Do I include it in the, do I just include it in the test, do I do a separate bug to add it to the defaults?
03:10 jcamins The second and third.
03:10 dcook Cool. That's what I was thinking as well.
03:11 jcamins You know, Vagrant is really cool.
03:12 dcook ?
03:12 jcamins Yep.
03:13 dcook I really do need to figure out the Virtualbox networking...
03:13 dcook Another day..
03:17 mtompset I can help with that.
03:17 mtompset at least with Ubuntu. :)
03:18 mtompset windows host - ubuntu guest. :)
03:21 waylonR joined #koha
03:21 dcook I'll keep that in mind for the future. Back to the unit tests for now :)
03:21 dcook Well, a patch, then the unit tests
03:22 mtompset I use VirtualBox for my daily work.
03:22 manny thanks guys
03:22 waylonR hiya all! okay, i am back on the ball. unfortunately, my last pull seems to be dec 2012... okay.... so, whats your advice for a dev returning to his work after a long absense?
03:23 mtompset git rebase? ;)
03:23 mtompset And welcome back, waylonR.
03:24 waylonR does that also rebase the etc files, or do i need to do something to rebase them? And how do i get all the commits ive done?
03:25 jcamins waylonR:
03:25 jcamins And you will need to follow the instructions for upgrading that are in INSTALL.*
03:30 waylonR items no longer stored in biblioitems.. does that make zebra searches for item information, impossibe? or does koha export item info to zebra still?
03:31 mtompset are you using a version prior to 3.4.x?
03:31 waylonR currently, yes. im porting our mods to current.
03:31 waylonR from koha 3.0.0pre2
03:31 waylonR ... I know, it sucks..
03:32 eythian waylonR: the 952 is generated when sending to zebra
03:32 eythian or, exporting, really
03:32 eythian so it's just an internal thing for the most part.
03:32 dcook waylonR: You have my sympathy
03:33 waylonR generated? so, one can't store information in 952 manually?
03:33 waylonR oh wait..
03:33 eythian I don't know what that would mean
03:33 eythian there is no 952 internally now
03:33 mtompset dcook: Is there supposed to be 339 fields in the rda framework?
03:34 eythian but it's created from the items table when needed.
03:34 waylonR ..... Okay, so item branch info etc gets exported to 952 and then to zebra?
03:34 eythian yeah
03:34 eythian it just takes the row in items and spits out a 952 from it
03:34 waylonR that might be okay..
03:35 mtompset turns out the import export script kept running in the background, and it just finished.
03:35 dcook mtompset: Not that I can think of.
03:35 waylonR we abuse koha here.. branches = libraries. item in a branch = item appears in that libraries catalogue/search
03:35 mtompset my mistake... 339 tags.
03:35 eythian it's a lot faster, and avoids some other MARC related issues
03:36 dcook mtompset: That's the same thing :p
03:36 mtompset just making sure I didn't have a terminology problem. :P
03:36 dcook Generally speaking they're either tags or fields, although subfields are always subfields (never subtags)
03:36 dcook (afaik)
03:37 dcook waylonR: There's an internal script that embeds the item-level data as a 952. I've had to use that for some of our local mods. You might find it useful as well.
03:37 dcook Of course, re-writing the mod is probably a better way of going, but...
03:40 waylonR okay, can zebra hold indexes for more than just biblios and authorities for one server? the dev enviroment needs its own biblios database, i can just copy and paste the biblio server in the config, make biblios into bibliosdev, and copy every biblios config file?
03:41 waylonR or would i use a totally seperate zebra on a different port/instance?
03:41 eythian You could probably do it the way you suggest, but I've never tried it.
03:43 waylonR though, hows the solr progress going?
03:43 jcamins It is not.
03:43 waylonR ?
03:43 waylonR solr?
03:43 wahanui solr is, like, tied into the search rewrite
03:43 jcamins Progressing.
03:43 waylonR come to a halt?
03:44 jcamins Not so much come to a halt as never moved forward.
03:44 waylonR ah
03:44 waylonR eep... my boss is considering moving away from koha, to something php based.... could be out of a job sometime.
03:45 eythian something specific in PHP, or he just wants more PHP for some oddball reason?
03:49 waylonR [off[ "whole new platform, based on open source system parallel with Koha. we would like to explore all the available options and decide which fits our need best. we have a friend who own a software company which has done several projects for different libraries. they are working now on several open source systems which will be integrated to form one platform. they have tried different repository systems and decide to go with Islandora, and Vufind search in
03:49 waylonR terface with Solr engine plus some other systems for authentication, statistics, customer tracking, journal tracking etc. which will be add later. Those systems in general are in php ( easier when trying to find a programmers). we will explore this direction and see if it better than koha, otherwise we will stick with koha."
03:49 waylonR ah crap, that all went onto the log.. oh well.
03:51 waylonR email from boss. basically, they'll custom build from almost scratch.. with Solr behind it... so... search speed wise, its possibly going to be better than koha.
03:53 manny joined #koha
03:53 eythian zebra is not a slow point in koha
03:53 eythian there are a number of things that are, but it generally isn't zebra
03:57 jcamins In fact, it *specifically* isn't Zebra.
04:03 * wizzyrea just helped a peruvian student install Koha
04:03 wizzyrea that's rewarding. :)
04:04 dcook wizzyrea++
04:10 waylonR which way would be the easiest, to divide the zebra, seperate instance? or just a new index?
04:11 dcook first question?
04:11 wahanui "What are you trying to do?" or "What is the goal?"
04:11 eythian waylonR: this is a test server and you're just messing around?
04:14 jcamins wtf?
04:14 jcamins Ubuntu server no longer allows you to change partitions in the installer?
04:14 waylonR nope, this server(s) is hot active. koha development on a different apache virtualhost. and I want to index the dev server, with koha 3.1x setup, without affecting the old koha index.
04:15 eythian waylonR: then I would copy everything to another server and not mess around on a production server.
04:15 eythian jcamins: waddaya mean?
04:15 jcamins eythian: it refuses to let me change partition sizes.
04:16 eythian how odd
04:16 waylonR hmmm.
04:16 jcamins I know!
04:16 eythian I haven't tried to do that in a long while actually
04:16 eythian I want do to some yubikey experimenting on a vm tonight so maybe I'll try that then.
04:16 eythian (cos I'll have to be making a new vm for it)
04:17 jcamins I'll try the emergency boot disk.
04:17 jcamins This is absurd.
04:17 waylonR need it on these servers, to prove the speed difference though. What about putting the dev inside a vm on these servers?
04:18 trendynick joined #koha
04:18 eythian hrm
04:19 waylonR Why do i need it seperate anyway?
04:19 eythian I dunno, you started with the premise that you did.
04:19 eythian oh wait
04:19 eythian you should have a separate server because messing on production is always a Bad Ideaâ„¢
04:20 wizzyrea with TM.
04:20 wizzyrea @quote add eythian: you should have a separate server because messing on production is always a Bad Idea
04:20 huginn` wizzyrea: The operation succeeded.  Quote #274 added.
04:21 eythian wizzyrea: you missed the â„¢ that I put there
04:21 wizzyrea LOL SORRY jez.
04:21 wizzyrea jeez*
04:22 jcamins And in the emergency shell it won't let me great a 1.5GB partition.
04:22 jcamins wtf?
04:22 eythian why won't it let you?
04:22 eythian you're using cfdisk or something?
04:22 jcamins I have no idea.
04:22 jcamins fdisk
04:22 jcamins I have never had a problem doing this before.
04:22 eythian what is your partition layout like?
04:24 pastebot Someone at pasted "/dev/sda1 2048 499711 248832 8" (3 lines) at
04:25 jcamins I'm thinking the problem is that the installer put in lvm.
04:25 wizzyrea ok, has anyone ever experienced not being able to add circ rules?
04:25 dcook wizzyrea: Nope.
04:26 eythian jcamins: oh, you probably have lvm taking up your whole free space then.
04:26 eythian which is fine and normal
04:26 jcamins eythian: yeah, but shouldn't I be able to delete it?
04:26 eythian it just means you shouldn't be working on sda, you should be working on the devicemapper thing.
04:26 eythian probably.
04:26 eythian what happens when you try?
04:26 jcamins I have spent the last forty-five minutes being unable to change the size of my swap partition.
04:27 jcamins Nothing.
04:27 wahanui nothing is a requirement, we have guidelines though
04:27 eythian so, the whole machine locks up and processes no instructions beyond that point?
04:27 jcamins It shows the partition being gone, then when I try to create a new one, it's back.
04:27 eythian that's surprising.
04:28 mtompset Have a great day (24 hour period), #koha. Today is a holiday (it's after midnight) here. :)
04:28 jcamins Ah, forget it.
04:28 eythian jcamins: why is your swap space sitting over your lvm?
04:28 jcamins eythian: good question.
04:28 jcamins This is a brand new system.
04:29 jcamins That is what the installer did.
04:29 eythian that's not the sort of thing that happens in a well behaved environment.
04:29 eythian at least, I don't think it should
04:29 eythian also
04:29 eythian waith
04:29 eythian -h
04:29 eythian that's not swap
04:29 eythian that's an extended partition
04:30 eythian of course you can't change that, you have another partition inside it
04:30 jcamins I'm happy to delete all the partitions and start over.
04:30 jcamins Or, I would be.
04:30 eythian start with sda5
04:31 eythian swap is type 82
04:31 jcamins So... there's no swap at all?
04:31 jcamins You know what?
04:31 jcamins This is silly.
04:31 jcamins I'll download Wheezy and try again.
04:31 pastebot "eythian" at pasted "Apparaat Opstart Begin Einde B" (4 lines) at
04:31 eythian e.g that
04:32 eythian err where uitgebreid is extended, and wisselgeheugen is an overly long word for swap
04:33 eythian also, use cfdisk
04:33 eythian because it makes that kind of thing easier to see
04:33 jcamins But it isn't available if you don't have an actual bootable system, is it?
04:33 eythian I don't know
04:33 jcamins It doesn't seem to be.
04:33 eythian the rescue CD might have it, or it might not
04:34 jcamins It doesn't seem to.
04:34 eythian pity
04:34 jcamins Since in forty-five minutes I have been unsuccessful in partitioning the stupid hard drive, I'm just downloading Wheezy.
04:35 jcamins I have never before had a problem with partitioning a computer for Linux, and I have installed Linux dozens and dozens of times. Including other versions of Ubuntu where the installer responded to input.
04:35 pastebot "eythian" at pasted "Name Flags Part Type FS Type [" (6 lines) at
04:35 eythian what cfdisk looks like, should you be in a position to use it.
04:35 eythian did you manage to delete the inner partition?
04:35 jcamins Nope.
04:35 eythian did it do the same thing?
04:35 jcamins Yep.
04:35 jcamins I deleted the hard drive image.
04:35 jcamins That worked. :D
04:37 eythian heh
04:39 wizzyrea ohhhkayyyy so sorted the rules thing :)
04:39 wizzyrea I had an errant updatedatabase!
04:40 * wizzyrea is glad it was ultimately easy
04:51 wizzyrea cgi-bin/koha/​&type=opac&operatorc=contains&marclistc=mainentry&​and_orc=and&orderby=HeadingAsc&valuec=e-Learning < does this seem odd to anyone else?
04:51 wizzyrea this is from the see also links in the opac
04:51 jcamins Looks good to me.
04:51 * wizzyrea doesn't understandwhy "operatorc"
04:51 jcamins 'Cause it's always been operatorc.
04:52 wizzyrea or "and_orc"
04:52 jcamins For some reason we don't use a or b in the OPAC.
04:52 eythian a and b were probably deprecated.
04:52 eythian boring letters, over used.
04:52 wizzyrea heh
04:52 wizzyrea i missed you.
04:53 eythian I miss my holiday.
04:53 wizzyrea hehe
04:54 eythian new packages uploading now.
04:56 wizzyrea weird. well I have a situation where the see also links return all of the authorities with the c on there, But without the c it returns what you might expect.
04:56 wizzyrea it's possibly not signficant
04:56 jcamins Do I need a separate /boot partition?
04:56 wizzyrea it's annoying though.
04:56 eythian jcamins: not generally
04:56 jcamins Cool.
04:58 dcook Sounds strange, wizzyrea :(
04:58 jcamins Yeah... that Just Worked with Debian.
04:58 wizzyrea it is.
05:00 wizzyrea anyway got to run
05:00 dcook ciao wizzyrea
05:01 dcook Ahhh, I feel like I'm almost done this test
05:01 * dcook is going to be so pleased when it's over
05:04 manny left #koha
05:13 dcook This might sound weird...but I think I actually like documenting...sometimes
05:18 cait joined #koha
05:18 eythian hi cait
05:19 waylonR ahh... turns out, i did make a seperate zebrasrv instance..
05:28 cait hi eythian
06:32 cait rangi++
06:40 cait left #koha
06:40 reiveune joined #koha
06:41 dcook salut reiveune :)
06:41 reiveune hello everybody :)
06:55 gaetan_B joined #koha
06:56 gaetan_B hello
06:56 alex_a joined #koha
06:59 sophie_m joined #koha
07:00 matts hi !
07:01 lds joined #koha
07:06 kf joined #koha
07:23 dcook Hmm, what bug status would a person use for a work in progress?
07:23 dcook "In discussion"?
07:27 drojf joined #koha
07:27 drojf good morning #koha
07:27 drojf dcook++
07:28 dcook Thanks
07:28 dcook Still a little ways to go I think
07:28 dcook morning, btw ;)
07:31 kf good morning #koha, drojf and dcook
07:31 kf dcook: assigned
07:31 dcook morning kf :)
07:31 * dcook sees a magnuse as well
07:31 kf but not needs sign off yet
07:31 drojf hi kf
07:31 dcook Ah, k. I'll change that.
07:31 kf drojf: in discussion is asking for feedback or more opinions I would say
07:31 kf and it's not working totally well
07:31 drojf thanks for telling me ;)
07:32 dcook Mmm, in discussion might make sense then...
07:33 dcook I'd like feedback and more opinions
07:36 kf hm the status alone won't help
07:36 kf best to ask around and poit people to it directly
07:36 kf or mailing list
07:36 wahanui rumour has it mailing list is at[…]ha-mailing-lists/
07:39 dcook Hmm, yeah, maybe I'll ask the koha-devel folks
07:39 dcook It's still too early for regular users to try out, I think
07:39 * dcook isn't self-conscious at all...
07:39 dcook It's about 1500 lines, so I think it's the biggest thing I've contributed to Koha yet
07:44 waylonR dcook, what you working on?
07:51 paul_p joined #koha
07:55 paul_p good morning/evening/afternoon/whatever for your TZ #koha !
07:55 kf hi paul_p
07:55 dcook waylonR: An OAI-PMH harvesting client for Koha
07:57 viktorsarge_ joined #koha
08:00 kf dcook++
08:01 dcook Hope I deserve it :p
08:01 kf you do and more
08:01 kf :)
08:01 dcook d'aww
08:01 dcook thanks :)
08:13 gerundio joined #koha
08:22 dcook Time to head home, me thinks
08:22 dcook Hope you all have a good day :)
08:33 drojf @wunder berlin, germany
08:33 huginn` drojf: The current temperature in Alter Schlachthof, Berlin, Germany is 15.6°C (10:30 AM CEST on September 02, 2013). Conditions: Overcast. Humidity: 74%. Dew Point: 11.0°C. Pressure: 30.04 in 1017 hPa (Steady).
08:33 drojf winter!
08:34 kf @wunder Konstanz
08:34 huginn` kf: The current temperature in Taegerwilen, Taegerwilen, Germany is 14.1°C (10:30 AM CEST on September 02, 2013). Conditions: Clear. Humidity: 82%. Dew Point: 11.0°C. Pressure: 30.36 in 1028 hPa (Steady).
08:35 drojf brr
08:40 drojf they have christmas stuff in stores now
08:41 kf yeah, i saw lebkuchen during the weekend
08:41 kf it's weird.
08:41 wahanui did you try flushing the cache and deleting wahanui's cookies
08:41 drojf lol
08:41 drojf i want glühwein
08:42 drojf i wonder if there is already weihnachtsmarkt in the city :D
08:43 kf drojf: grump.
08:49 Viktor joined #koha
09:24 trendynick joined #koha
10:29 Viktor joined #koha
11:09 Viktor joined #koha
11:27 mtj joined #koha
11:35 paul_p joined #koha
12:02 trendynick joined #koha
12:27 tcohen joined #koha
12:29 tcohen morning #koha
12:30 Viktor joined #koha
12:31 tcohen dcook++
12:33 kf morning tcohen :)
12:37 tcohen hi kf
12:55 tcohen gti status
12:55 tcohen oops
12:58 kf :)
13:00 tcohen we need RESTfull access to stuff on the staff interface
14:16 vfernandes joined #koha
14:16 vfernandes hi :)
14:17 vfernandes one question: is possible to migrate borrowers from other system and maintain borrowernumber?
14:17 vfernandes using borrower importing tool (by CSV)
14:19 kf vfernandes: the borrowernumber can not be set using the import tool
14:20 kf in my experience
14:21 vfernandes so there isn't a way to maintain the borrowernumber?
14:23 kf i would do a test, but i think it might be not possible using the import tool
14:23 kf it might be different for sql
14:23 kf and there is also the question of what you are trying to achieve :)
14:26 vfernandes i'm trying to migrate some borrowers from one system to other but the number is important
14:26 jcamins Why is the number important?
14:27 jcamins You can preserve it by writing a custom script that does direct SQL inserts.
14:27 jcamins Or, I suppose, dump the table as SQL.
14:27 vfernandes because borrowers are identified by cardnumber or by that number
14:28 kf we normally don't migrate internal numbers here
14:28 kf or we store them in a custom attribute for reference
14:43 kf left #koha
14:45 tcohen jcamins:
14:46 jcamins tcohen: looks good to me!
14:46 jcamins tcohen++
15:03 reiveune bye
15:03 reiveune left #koha
15:45 tcohen @later tell oleonard are you gonna (eventually) substitute alerts for bootstrap modals?
15:45 huginn` tcohen: The operation succeeded.
16:16 drojf joined #koha
16:22 drojf good evening #koha
16:23 drojf oh no, it's that weird time between kf and cait
16:23 drojf log?
16:23 wahanui somebody said log was
16:24 drojf wahanui botsnack cookie
16:24 wahanui thanks drojf :)
16:24 jcamins vagrant++ # for being really cool
16:25 jcamins ubuntu-- # for being way less cool
16:26 drojf who's vagrant? linux distribution?
16:27 jcamins Vagrant is an automated VM provisioner:
16:28 tcohen hey, vagrant and ubuntu coexist flawlessly
16:28 jcamins tcohen: yes, provided you use a slightly older Ubuntu image.
16:28 drojf when i was young there were websites that respected my bad, but working eyes by not having very little but huge text distributed over a ridiculous amount of scroll-down space
16:29 drojf half the internet looks like twitter now ^^
16:30 jcamins Apparently either the latest Precise server image is broken or it doesn't work with my version of VirtualBox, but installing Precise using an image downloaded yesterday was a horrible, unsuccessful experience.
16:31 jcamins Among other things, partitioning didn't work.
16:32 jcamins Partitioning is not exactly an unimportant task when you have a brand new system.
16:34 tcohen sounds sad jcamins
16:34 jcamins tcohen: it was very sad indeed.
16:35 jcamins Fortunately, Ubuntu 12.04 + lots of updates or Debian 7.1 + fewer updates works.
16:35 tcohen i haven't installed the very latest release (.3) but .2 without any issues
16:35 jcamins Based on my experience, I'd recommend sticking with 12.04.2.
16:35 jcamins Downloading a gazillion updates is annoying, but not a disaster.
16:36 jcamins Being unable to install Ubuntu is a bit more disastrous if your goal is to install Ubuntu.
16:37 tcohen heh, of course
16:39 gaetan_B bye !
16:40 cait joined #koha
16:41 * cait waves
16:42 tcohen hi cait
16:42 trendynick joined #koha
16:43 drojf hi cait
16:44 cait hi drojf
16:44 cait back from the library?
16:44 drojf no, switched to the office
16:46 drojf but it looks like having a tablet and no internet works quite good. having a computer here, not so much
16:46 cait aah, ore quiet? ;)
16:46 cait yeah i know what you mean
16:46 cait i can get free inernet at my favourite bookstore cafe now....
16:46 cait and see where i ended up
16:47 drojf i think i will do my 4 pages a day, starting today. which would meet my plans. if i keep it that way for two weeks
16:47 cait ok, and how many have ou written?
16:47 cait and did you count in correction time?
16:48 jcamins Hm. There must be some way to say "replace dependencies on package X with dependencies on package Y" with Debian.
17:00 tcohen jcamins: can I use TT variables inside JS code?
17:03 jcamins tcohen: if it's in a template, yes.
17:03 jcamins Just make sure you sanitize them.
17:04 mcooper joined #koha
17:07 tcohen its just the biblionumber :-D
17:10 jcamins liw: if you're around, do you happen to know how to mark that a particular package should be considered to have been installed?
17:21 tcohen jcamins: idiomatic? "Are you sure you want to delete this cover image?"
17:23 jcamins tcohen: yes it is.
17:29 tcohen jcamins:
17:30 tcohen i recorded using a java applet, hence the operation slowliness
17:30 tcohen heh
17:30 jcamins Looks good to me.
17:31 tcohen i browsed the MARC view only to show it wasn't just a .hide()
17:31 tcohen heh
17:31 * jcamins believed you. :P
17:32 * tcohen also, but it happens a few times that he belived to have succeded, and not
17:43 cait joined #koha
18:17 tcohen jcamins: can I trade bonus points for QAing some other thing?:-P
18:20 jcamins tcohen: I'm going to be working on some patches later today, so I'll sign off on yours then. :)
18:21 jcamins I realized why the test plan on the authority deduplicator seemed so completely wrong.
18:21 jcamins It was a test plan for a different bug.
18:21 tcohen oh, that's good news!
18:22 janPasi joined #koha
18:23 tcohen bye #koha
18:31 jcamins fredericd++
18:35 liw jcamins, I don't understand the question, I'm afraid
18:35 jcamins liw: I figured it out.
18:35 liw good :)
18:36 jcamins My problem was that I was installing Java using a package that didn't provide the metapackage java-runtime5 (or something like that).
18:36 jcamins The solution was to use equivs to create a package that required my package and *did* provide the virtual package.
18:36 jcamins I meant virtual package, not metapackage, I think.
19:49 liw equivs is the right answer for that, yes
19:49 cait hm
19:50 cait I see that mtompset changed our license text in the coding guidelines?
19:50 cait[…]11210&oldid=11192
19:53 rangi yep al good
19:53 rangi got the write street address
19:53 rangi right too
19:53 rangi that was one of the first things liw did on koha, fix all the FSF addresses :)
19:54 cait so all ok then :)
19:54 liw I did? how very pedantic of me
19:54 cait heh
19:54 cait liw++
19:55 rangi well to be fair, you wrote a script to do it :)
19:55 liw :)
19:56 rangi[…]2fc581373;hb=HEAD
19:57 liw git never forget, git never forgives :)
19:59 rangi :)
20:02 cait it beats every elephant in memory :)
20:16 pianohacker joined #koha
20:17 rangi[…]ot-camp#bootcampb
20:17 rangi kablam
20:19 rangi australia, im in your country, annoying your publishers
20:19 rangi interestingly, the session is sponsored by RMIT publishing :)
20:19 cait :)
20:21 rangi ok, taking kids to school bbl
21:09 rangi back
21:10 cait welcome back
21:10 wahanui I was trapped in a maze of twisty, turny passages, all alike.
21:34 eythian hi
21:34 cait hi eythian :)
22:39 cait left #koha
22:46 rangi[…]4LIB&F=&S=&P=6523
22:50 jcamins rangi: French cheese.
22:50 rangi heh
22:50 rangi dare you to reply and say that :)
22:51 jcamins Well, if you insist.
22:59 jcamins One reason why the Koha community is entertaining, and one reason why they should come to the conference. :)
23:03 rangi :)
23:15 papa joined #koha

| Channels | #koha index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | plain, newest first | summary