IRC log for #koha, 2013-07-25

All times shown according to UTC.

Time S Nick Message
00:00 dcook So since C4::Items is loaded by both and get that conflict?
00:00 dcook Or because and reference each other?
00:00 jcamins dcook: because C4::Items is loaded by C4::Circulation and vice versa.
00:00 rangi that
00:01 dcook Hmm, makes a certain amount of sense
00:01 dcook Yet...shouldn't AddReturn always fail in that case?
00:01 rangi nope, it only fails when you load both too
00:01 rangi and it will depend on the order etc
00:02 rangi basically the problem is the circular dependencies, and under different conditions they do different things
00:02 dcook Mmm, so it's that they're both loaded in
00:02 rangi thats why the rule for Koha::
00:02 dcook Then the circular dependencies come into effect
00:02 rangi yep
00:02 dcook Tricksy
00:02 jcamins There is also a situation where it will only work if you load both of them because the circular dependency wasn't addressed properly.
00:02 rangi is no circular dependencies
00:02 rangi yep
00:03 dcook Hmm, makes sense
00:03 dcook Ideally, should a module be a standalone or provide wrappers for another module?
00:04 dcook Off the top of my head, it seems like it would be difficult to avoid circular dependencies
00:04 dcook Wait a minute..
00:05 dcook doesn't load O_o
00:05 dcook At least not directly
00:06 rangi you do
00:06 jenkins_koha Project master_maria build #7: STILL FAILING in 24 min: http://jenkins.koha-community.[…]b/master_maria/7/
00:09 rangi but yeah it also calls something that in turn calls it
00:09 rangi they are hard to track down
00:09 rangi probably C4::Biblio
00:09 dcook Mmm, I was thinking probably C4::Biblio
00:10 dcook Makes sense to only import the required subs then
00:11 dcook is quite the hulk though
00:11 dcook In the short term, I wonder if fully qualifying a sub is the best way to get around this issue..
00:12 jcamins dcook: that's my preferred solution.
00:12 dcook jcamins: Fully qualifying?
00:12 jcamins A require and fully-qualified call will at least make it easy to recognize problems.
00:13 dcook Seems reasonable
00:16 dcook rangi++
00:16 dcook jcamins++
00:18 jenkins_koha Starting build #8 for job master_maria (previous build: STILL FAILING)
00:20 tcohen joined #koha
00:22 dcook C4::Reserves it seems...
00:23 jcamins Hey, isn't there a song about that?
00:23 dcook via C4::Search
00:23 dcook hehe
00:23 jcamins It goes something like...
00:23 dcook For once, I actually think I know what you're saying jcamins :p
00:24 jcamins "You're a mean one, C4::Reserves / you really are a heel / you're as cuddly as a cactus, you're as charming as an eel, C4::Reserves!"
00:24 jcamins :P
00:26 dcook Ah, I was thinking, the C4::Items bone is connected to the C4::Search bone, the C4::Search bone is connected to the C4::Reserves bone, the C4::Reserves bone is connected to the C4::Circulation bone, the C4::Circulation bone is connected to the C4::Items bones...
00:26 jcamins dcook:
00:26 dcook That would make for one very strange skeleton..
00:26 jcamins Actually, I thought of that song too.
00:26 jcamins But I had to go for the more surreal version if you were following my train of thought.
00:27 dcook lol
00:27 dcook Remind me not to sit next to you at Kohacon ;)
00:28 dcook In regards to the water rather than the train of thought :p
00:28 jcamins Are you planning on getting writer's block?
00:28 dcook I sure hope not
00:28 * dcook really should write his presentation sometime
00:29 dcook So C4::Items and C4::Circulation reference each other...and behaviours vary depending on how they're loaded in
00:29 dcook Or how they load each other..
00:33 dcook It looks like it must be triggered when a third script references both
00:34 dcook might not become a problem
00:35 dcook Ok, I think I gots this
00:37 tcohen didn't know there was one for jcamins http://kohadevreactions.tumblr[…]-a-search-rewrite
00:38 dcook lol
00:38 jcamins lol
00:38 dcook These are too good
00:38 tcohen night #koha
00:39 dcook night tcohen :)
00:39 dcook "When the smart people log out of the IRC channel and you’re left all alone."
00:40 dcook It helps that the smart people are scattered around the globe ;)
00:42 dcook ""I think I’ll change up the cataloguing interface…"
00:42 dcook Ponyo!
00:42 jenkins_koha Project master_maria build #8: STILL FAILING in 23 min: http://jenkins.koha-community.[…]b/master_maria/8/
00:43 dcook Borrower list?
00:47 dcook[…]every-single-day/
01:00 mtompset uh oh... circular references?
01:01 dcook circular references, mutually either's not pretty
01:03 mtompset Is there an easy way to find recursive references?
01:04 dcook Define easy?
01:04 dcook A person could probably write up a script for it
01:06 mtompset a single command line command, for example.
01:06 mtompset even if that command line is brutually long. :)
01:08 * dcook shrugs
01:08 dcook I'm going to fix the particular bug that has cropped up
01:08 dcook And going forward...fully qualify subs that I use and limit what I import
01:10 dcook Although now it looks like it is already fixed in master...
01:10 dcook But I swear I just checked it on master...
01:13 dcook Maybe it was cacheing..
01:17 dcook Nope, I must be crazy.
01:19 dcook wth...
01:23 dcook ...
01:29 dcook Well,  it looks to me like that circular dependency theory isn't it
01:35 rangi[…]-united-states/3/
01:36 rangi (from someone at work who went to uni in reno :))
01:37 * dcook stares at Perl
01:39 dcook Rangi: The circular dependency idea was a nice theory, but apparently that wasn't it
01:39 dcook I have zero idea what it was, and I've finally reached the point of not caring
01:40 dcook Oh my...
01:40 dcook Well, Regina is the crime capital of Canada (per capita), and it wasn't THAT bad
01:41 dcook I only had my car broken into once and my living room windows smashed once
01:41 dcook Friends attacked in the street. Kidnapper/torturer living a few blocks away.
01:43 dcook Hey rangi: Any thoughts on Hoopla?[…]or-library-users/
01:48 wizzyrea I will have to think about that
01:49 wizzyrea it sounds like freegal for video
01:49 dcook freegal?
01:49 wizzyrea
01:51 wizzyrea I think this is a terrible idea, upon thinking about it. The problem always comes back to the fact that digital resources are not limited use, so the idea of "lending" them is a LOT mad
01:51 dcook Well, this wouldn't really be lending them
01:51 dcook It would be charging based on usage
01:52 dcook Which in accordance with licensing...might be unavoidable
01:52 dcook Hmm, there isn't a reverse git bisect, is there?
01:52 wizzyrea which is exactly my point. The cost is simply deferred to the taxpayer. :P
01:52 dcook Isn't that the point of libraries, wizzyrea? :P
01:53 wizzyrea one of them.
01:53 wahanui one of them is bound to have a good idea ;)
01:54 wizzyrea I'm not sure I agree with the premise that libraries even have a place in digital material distribution and "lending"
01:54 wizzyrea because you can't "lend" digital things. Either you have a copy, or you don't
01:54 dcook Not all libraries are lending libraries though
01:54 ibeardslee unless you use DRM to restrict the use of said digital material
01:54 dcook It's more about providing access to resources
01:55 dcook Like I don't personally have a subscription to QuickLaw or WestLaw, but I can go to the Courthouse Library in Vancouver and get access to those databases
01:55 wizzyrea DRM makes it really impossibly hard for borrowers to do anything
01:55 dcook (or possibly log in online although I can't be sure on that one)
01:55 wizzyrea it is a very bad borrower experience
01:55 dcook I think the Vancouver Public Library has a subscription to those legal databases too
01:55 wizzyrea databases are not what I am talking about
01:55 dcook Right, you're talking about "lending"
01:56 dcook But I'm saying that there doesn't need to be lending
01:56 dcook Like you say, lending ebooks is stupid
01:56 wizzyrea then it would seem we agree ;)
01:56 dcook Maybe :p
01:56 dcook I think libraries are still useful for being hubs for digital content
01:56 dcook Whether that's databases, online journals, or video/music
01:57 dcook I say drop the lending idea
01:57 dcook And work hard on the money issue so that it works out for libraries and people
01:57 wizzyrea then you really just have amazon.
01:58 dcook Amazon would be more expensive though
01:58 wizzyrea would it? 2.99 to stream a video?
01:58 wizzyrea cost to the library?
01:58 dcook I mean ideally ;)
01:58 dcook I think the claim that Hoopla would be cheaper than physical media is...dubious
01:59 dcook Hmm, I see what you're saying
02:00 dcook Libraries pay between $0.99 and $2.99 each time a patron borrows something...
02:00 dcook Amazon: Rentals start at $2.99. If you rent, you'll have 30 days from when you rent to start watching, and once you start watching, most movies have a 24-hour window to finish watching.
02:01 dcook Hmm $79 annual membership
02:01 dcook Apparently Amazon's own info isn't right
02:01 dcook Just found a movie rental for 1.99
02:02 dcook wizzyrea: The more I think about this, the more I agree with you
02:02 wizzyrea dunno, it always sounds like a nice idea
02:02 wizzyrea yea, who wouldn't want to stream things for library patrons
02:02 wizzyrea but the borrowers who can stream things are the borrowers that can already afford to
02:03 wizzyrea and the borrowers who can't... they get nothing from the service
02:03 dcook Or the borrowers who stream things create a tax burden for others
02:03 wizzyrea that too
02:03 wizzyrea I am definitely for libraries providing convenient access to resources
02:04 wizzyrea I just think there has to be a better model. BUT the better model involves media producers to be willing to adopt a different model, which they are not.
02:04 dcook True true
02:05 wizzyrea would a library cut, say, programs for the unemployed, or kids or teens, to have the money to support a streaming service?
02:05 wizzyrea or reduce open hours, inconveniencing those who rely on hard-copy media?
02:05 dcook Well, ideally, they would be looking to cut collections rather than programming
02:06 wizzyrea but you see my point though?
02:06 dcook But it's true, it'll probably be too expensive for what they get
02:06 dcook I do
02:06 * dcook remembers library management class
02:06 dcook Libraries never have enough money
02:06 wizzyrea the question is, I guess, who are your borrowers, and what do you value
02:07 dcook I suppose
02:07 dcook Although I think it'll always come back to the bottom line
02:07 dcook And if it is pay per use...there's no way that can really fit in with a library's bottom line
02:07 dcook Unless there's a cap
02:07 dcook And you budget for a cap
02:07 wizzyrea they said there can be a cap
02:08 wizzyrea it's cool, it's snazzy
02:08 dcook Really? I skimmed the article, but I don't remember that
02:08 dcook Oh, limit on borrowing
02:08 wizzyrea but I think it's technolust
02:09 dcook Technolust or a desire to stay relevant?
02:09 dcook Who borrows CDs or DVDs anymore?
02:09 wizzyrea if every borrower were issued a tax payer purchased viewing device, it would be relevant
02:09 dcook That said, there is a...Civic Video? store near me which seems to get a lot of business
02:09 wizzyrea "you use the library, here's a device to access our collections"
02:09 wizzyrea that would be fair.
02:10 dcook Mmm, I wrote about that this morning
02:10 dcook We do often have an assumption that people have devices and good internet access
02:10 wizzyrea ibeardslee and I were talking about this the other day
02:10 wizzyrea :)
02:10 dcook But as many reports show, internet access is far less prevalent than we think it is
02:10 wizzyrea ^^^
02:10 wizzyrea however, dumb phones are nearly universal
02:13 dcook Dumb phones aren't much help though
02:13 dcook Whoa
02:13 dcook I think that's the biggest drop out I"ve ever seen in #koha
02:13 matts_away joined #koha
02:13 mtompset joined #koha
02:13 phasefx joined #koha
02:13 janPasi joined #koha
02:13 mtj joined #koha
02:13 magnus_away joined #koha
02:13 bag joined #koha
02:13 chris_n joined #koha
02:13 druthb_away joined #koha
02:13 Irma joined #koha
02:13 eythian joined #koha
02:13 BigRig__ joined #koha
02:13 khall_away joined #koha
02:13 pug joined #koha
02:13 pastebot joined #koha
02:13 gmcharlt joined #koha
02:13 csharp joined #koha
02:13 jcamins joined #koha
02:13 senator joined #koha
02:13 clrh joined #koha
02:14 aquaman joined #koha
02:14 Callender joined #koha
02:14 BobB joined #koha
02:14 wahanui joined #koha
02:14 sijobl joined #koha
02:14 ibeardslee joined #koha
02:14 moodaepo joined #koha
02:14 wizzyrea if every tax payer were equally able to access the library's digital collections, I'd be ok with hungrily pursuing digital media "lending" models. (though lending digital things is still stupid)
02:14 wizzyrea yea whoa what was that about
02:14 mtompset Don't know, I think I split.
02:15 mtompset coding question... what sort of conditions would cause the programmer to code with 'use' over 'require'?
02:15 dcook wizzyrea: I think that's quite a valid point
02:15 dcook mtompset: require doesn't import any subs, me thinks
02:15 dcook mmm
02:15 dcook nvm
02:15 dcook mtompset: I have the same question
02:15 mtompset I've been hunting around, and that seems to be it.
02:16 wajasu joined #koha
02:16 mtompset But you could get the equivalent with a "use foo ();"
02:16 mtompset -- I think.
02:16 dcook I think so
02:17 * wajasu tweaking some XSLT templates
02:17 dcook But that whole conflict thing...doesn't seem to be a real thing
02:17 dcook wajasu: :D
02:17 mtompset So, it would seem that intentionally listing the routines that you will use helps reduce the chance of circular dependencies.
02:20 mtompset I was worried I may have introduced a circular dependency and wanted to check.
02:21 mtompset But I think I haven't. I added a C4::Members function call into C4::Items.
02:22 mtompset *whew* :)
02:22 mtompset wajasu: Long time no see. How are you? :)
02:23 wajasu it looks like the MARC21slim2OPACDetail.xsl and MARC21slim2OPACResults.xsl  files use the with-param punctuation, but the MARC21slimUtils.xsl doesn't have that like in the intranet one.
02:23 wajasu mtompset: fine
02:24 wajasu just overworked writing code inthe energy sector
02:25 mtompset energy sector? Makes me think of a guy I know from church. He was asking me about OpenSuse. :)
02:27 wajasu mtompset: were you the one who was/is in the Philipines?
02:27 mtompset was... I'm back in Canada now.
02:29 mtompset wajasu: and weren't you the person using archlinux? ;)
02:34 wajasu OMG: course reserves went out. my QA hours weren't wasted.
02:43 dcook rangi: Sorry about my wailing before. Just noticed jcamins's commit c97e0c7 which removes that circular dependency
02:43 rangi :)
02:43 dcook Note to tests more carefully...check code more carefully...
02:46 dcook While it took way longer than it should, I'm glad that I finally tracked down the commit and relieved my confusion
02:46 dcook mtompset: bug 7847
02:46 huginn` Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=7847 normal, P5 - low, ---, dpavlin, RESOLVED FIXED, OPAC search dies with plack
02:47 dcook Jared removed the "use C4::Search" and instead used "require C4::Search" within the sub that needed it, and used fully qualified names
02:49 dcook jcamins++
02:50 dcook mtompset:[…]to-require-a-file
02:51 wajasu are things plackified on master these days?
02:53 jenkins_koha Starting build #9 for job master_maria (previous build: STILL FAILING)
02:58 wajasu it looks like the current strategy for giving the end users the ability to customize what is displayed is to put a span with a relevant class.
02:59 wizzyrea it's like perl, there's more than one way to do it ^.^
02:59 Oak joined #koha
03:00 dcook rangi: I see what you're saying about Koha now
03:00 dcook Are all those modules actually classes?
03:01 dcook Hmm, looks like jcamins has been busy with those...
03:01 dcook jcamins++
03:01 rangi they should be
03:01 rangi where it makes sense
03:01 dcook Sweet
03:01 rangi following any pragma dogmatically, makes you an egg
03:01 rangi thats my new saying :-)
03:02 rangi somethings arent objects
03:02 rangi dont try to make them be
03:02 rangi however, a lot of koha is/are
03:02 cjh rangi++
03:02 dcook :)
03:03 cjh 'somethings arent objects, dont try to make them be' is gold.
03:03 dcook I've been thinking a lot recently about OOP, and thinking that Koha could certainly use more classes
03:04 dcook I'm not sure that I understand how Perl OOP works yet...but I think it's certainly a good idea
03:04 dcook I have been wondering about those dogmatic OOP folks though
03:04 dcook It seems to me that objects make things easier but you still need to run procedures on them/with them/etc
03:13 Topic for #koha is now Happy Birthday cjh
03:13 dcook Right!
03:13 dcook I know I already posted it on FB, but happy birthday again, cjh :)
03:13 cjh rangi: thanks :)
03:13 * dcook heads off to lunch
03:14 cjh dcook: thanks again :)
03:15 cjh wizzyrea: hahhha > "Chris Hall. He's the candy man. I like him."
03:15 cjh wizzyrea: I will put him down on my CV as a reference
03:15 wizzyrea D:
03:15 wizzyrea :D
03:19 jenkins_koha Project master_maria build #9: STILL FAILING in 26 min: http://jenkins.koha-community.[…]b/master_maria/9/
03:19 cjh wasnt me.
03:29 jenkins_koha Starting build #10 for job master_maria (previous build: STILL FAILING)
03:45 mcooper joined #koha
03:54 jenkins_koha Project master_maria build #10: STILL FAILING in 25 min: http://jenkins.koha-community.[…]/master_maria/10/
04:09 jenkins_koha Starting build #11 for job master_maria (previous build: STILL FAILING)
04:10 * dcook cheers on master_maria
04:11 wizzyrea whoa does git bz do some magics with garbage collection now?
04:11 wizzyrea just got the oddest message
04:11 dcook Oh?
04:12 * dcook isn't sure what the current state of git bz is at these days
04:12 dcook I remember being told to use the fish soup version, but that's about it
04:12 pastebot "wizzyrea" at pasted "er, what?" (15 lines) at
04:12 wizzyrea i'm sure it's harmless but it's the first time I've seen it
04:12 wizzyrea do that
04:14 dcook Whoa
04:14 dcook Which git bz are you running?
04:15 wizzyrea fish soup
04:15 dcook Hmm
04:15 rangi thats not git bz
04:15 rangi thats just git running its garbage collector
04:15 rangi it does that when it hasnt done it for a while
04:15 dcook Looks like you've got too much garbage wizzyrea!
04:15 wizzyrea well I gathered that bit... I've just never observed it doing it before I guess
04:16 dcook Does that git bz actually work for attaching patches?
04:16 wizzyrea yes, it's fantastic.
04:16 * dcook thinks he must be using the Koha version which est busted
04:16 mtompset fishsoup branch of git bz.
04:16 wizzyrea just fetch the repo and checkout the fishsoup branch
04:16 mtompset you owe me a diet coke, wizzyrea. ;)
04:17 * wizzyrea cannot get behind giving soda to anyone.
04:17 cjh :o
04:17 wizzyrea will beer do?
04:17 wizzyrea :P
04:17 mtompset both kill slowly... I prefer soft drinks. :P
04:17 cjh ohh so it isn't because you are stingy, that is ok then :)
04:17 wizzyrea living kills you slowly ^.^
04:17 dcook Everything became gibberish to me after "will beer do"
04:18 dcook Or rather, my brain converted it to "beer will do"
04:18 dcook beer...
04:18 mtompset sounds like it is beer o'clock for you dcook? ;)
04:18 wizzyrea oh, mtompset, I'm about to test your bug
04:18 wizzyrea 10589
04:18 mtompset Ooo... That would be appreciated. :)
04:19 wizzyrea Patrons matching this patron category overrides OpacHiddenItems for their every branch.  < this is awkward phrasing :)
04:19 dcook O_o
04:19 dcook BEER!
04:19 mtompset for their every branch?!
04:20 mtompset Oops.
04:20 wizzyrea (but it's something I will fix if it passes other tests)
04:20 wizzyrea question, can you put in multiple categories?
04:20 mtompset No.
04:20 mtompset I didn't think people needed that.
04:20 wizzyrea perhaps that should be a dropdown then
04:20 wizzyrea with the defined categories listed in it
04:21 wizzyrea just a thought
04:22 mtompset But wouldn't you want the multiple categories on the Patron and not on what does the un-filtering?
04:22 wizzyrea free text entry is scary to me
04:22 wizzyrea better to only allow actually defined values?
04:22 mtompset Oh, I see what you are saying.
04:22 wizzyrea i.e. grab the list from the authorised values
04:22 wizzyrea and display it, with your default value on top
04:22 * dcook gives a thumbs up for authorised values
04:23 mtompset The problem is that would mean I'd have to automagically add two patron categories. :P
04:23 mtompset Why add two patron categories that people will never use?
04:23 wizzyrea no, it's just an input, if no category is defined, give it your default
04:24 wizzyrea so like
04:24 mtompset blank -> ignore, selected from a list -> un-filter?
04:24 wizzyrea you'd have an option "Items hidden from all borrowers"
04:24 wizzyrea something like that yea
04:25 mtompset I don't know how to do drop-down preferences. ;)
04:25 dcook wizzyrea++
04:25 wizzyrea well that's fair :)
04:25 wizzyrea it's just that free text entry prefs are often very problematic
04:25 mtompset But that is a good idea to amend this with.
04:25 mtompset I can agree with that feedback, wizzyrea. :)
04:26 wizzyrea it would make sense if you could define a comma separated list of many categories
04:26 wizzyrea (free text entry)
04:27 wizzyrea and that would be helpful anywa
04:27 wizzyrea anyway
04:27 wizzyrea or space separated, pick your delimiter :P
04:27 wizzyrea space probably better, there's precedent for that.
04:27 dcook bug 10589
04:27 huginn` Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10589 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, mtompset, Needs Signoff , Override OpacHiddenItems based on Patron Category
04:28 wizzyrea for example, if you had a school library, and the sex ed books were behind the desk, and you only wanted teachers *and* librarians to be able to find them, with this patch you can't do both unless you put them in the same category
04:29 wizzyrea but I do like this idea very much
04:29 wizzyrea it's something I've heard of people wanting before
04:29 mtompset Okay, so you are saying... the patron would actually have multiple categories attached to them?
04:30 wizzyrea no, I'm saying that you could have multiple categories that things didn't need to be hidden from
04:30 mtompset Ah.
04:30 wizzyrea hidden items are not hidden from Teachers AND librarians AND staff
04:31 wizzyrea for example
04:31 dcook free text entry with pipe separator? That seems pretty common
04:31 wizzyrea could do
04:32 mtompset But is there a way to do a SELECT from the categories for the syspref page?
04:32 dcook ?
04:32 wizzyrea they should be in the authorised values table
04:32 mtompset but how to do that on the syspref page?
04:32 wizzyrea you'd probably have to teach it how to do that.
04:33 mtompset because if they add categories, you need dropdown(s) to update.
04:33 wizzyrea and if you did, there are other preferences that could benefit
04:34 wizzyrea oh sorry they're not authorised values, they are patron codes, but same thing, it's still stored in the DB
04:34 mtompset right, still stored in the DB.
04:34 * dcook was a bit lost for a second there, wizzyrea :p
04:34 wizzyrea in the categories table
04:35 jenkins_koha Project master_maria build #11: STILL FAILING in 25 min: http://jenkins.koha-community.[…]/master_maria/11/
04:35 wizzyrea !botsnack jenkins_koha cookie
04:35 wizzyrea working so hard that one
04:35 wizzyrea anyway, think about that
04:36 wizzyrea fwiw, there are other preferences that could benefit from being able to show patron categories in syspref pages.
04:36 dcook Apparently there have been 67 shootings in Sydney so far in 2013...
04:36 wizzyrea PatronSelfRegistrationDefaultCategory, for one
04:36 wizzyrea O.o i
04:37 wizzyrea is that many or a few?
04:37 wizzyrea seems like a lot.
04:37 dcook Seems like a lot to me too
04:37 dcook It was in a press release calling for more police powers
04:38 dcook And bashing the current premier for his lack of policing
04:38 mtompset Yes, but that improvement of allowing things based on a dropdown is beyond the scope of my bug. Though, your suggested redesign with multiple categories pipe delimited is probably within scope.
04:38 wizzyrea multiple categories would be more helpful than the dropdown
04:38 wizzyrea :)
04:39 * dcook nods
04:39 * dcook whispers pipe separator...
04:39 wizzyrea yea, there's precedent on that page for pipe separated
04:39 * mtompset nods.
04:39 wizzyrea PatronSelfRegistrationBorrowerUnwantedField , for example
04:39 mtompset Yes, pipe delimited does have precedent.
04:40 mtompset And it isn't like you will have a patron category that has a pipe in it. ;)
04:40 wizzyrea if you do, you might be doing it wrong. :)
04:41 wizzyrea also, the remedy for shootings isn't more police, it's fewer guns. :P
04:44 wizzyrea[…]adriatic-sea.html O.o
04:47 mtompset oh... what was that plugin that gmcharlt was mentioning about accessing koha system preferences from the template files?
04:49 mtompset There it is...
04:51 mtompset Hmmm... A tweak to add a function thats return an array of hashes for any given table would enable a drop down based on a table in sysprefs. ;)
04:51 mtompset or something similar to what is expected for choices. :)
04:54 cjh gmcharlt: btw, never thanked you for prodding about that security bug, thanks.
04:55 * dcook is on the phone but OpacHiddenItems is ugly as hell
04:56 mtompset Why? Because of the YAML?
04:57 wizzyrea yea, it's icky
04:57 wizzyrea and it needs proper documenting
04:57 dcook Naw, the YAML is all right
04:57 dcook It's how it shows on the OPAC
04:57 dcook It's not really OpacHiddenItems so much as how Search works in Koha...
04:58 mtompset Actually, it doesn't affect the search directly, as far as I recall.
04:58 mtompset You get all the results, and then it filters it out.
05:01 mtompset That's where the GetHiddentItems (or something like it) is tweaked by my patch so they aren't hidden after all. ;)
05:05 x joined #koha
05:05 dcook Yeah, I'm trying to figure all that out at the moment
05:05 dcook The display is godawful though
05:09 dcook Mmm, I see what you're saying
05:09 dcook I'm cool with it hiding items. It does that well.
05:10 dcook However, OpacHiddenItems also seems to hide bib records
05:10 dcook Which makes for some really nasty looking result pages
05:11 dcook It also doesn't seem to work too well if an item is checked out
05:11 dcook At least in terms of search results
05:11 dcook The detail page is great
05:12 x there is no message?
05:15 dcook x: message?
05:15 wahanui message is a warning not an error.
05:15 dcook Quiet you, wahanui
05:15 wahanui dcook: excuse me?
05:15 dcook You heard me, punk
05:15 * dcook has wanted to say "punk" for a while :p
05:18 cait joined #koha
05:19 * dcook waves to cait
05:19 * cait waves at dcook
05:23 dcook mtompset: Do you know where in the code the bib records get hidden by OpacHiddenItems?
05:23 mtompset That's OpacSuppression, not OpacHiddenItems.
05:23 dcook Happens in OpacHiddenItems too :/
05:23 mtompset Unless you are talking about my other patch.
05:23 dcook An unintended consequence I'm sure
05:23 dcook Nopes. This is regular ol' master
05:24 dcook (and older versions)
05:24 cait dcook:out of curiosity - what's the problem discussed?
05:24 cait i tested both recently, although not the new additions yet
05:24 mtompset bib records are not being hidden by OpacHiddenItems.
05:24 cait imean I didn't tes tthe patchs from mtompset and drojf
05:24 dcook mtompset: They sure are
05:24 cait they are only i the result list
05:24 cait but there they should
05:24 dcook cait: When I use OpacHiddenItems to hide certain item types, the bib record disappears if the only items available for that record are of that item type
05:24 cait when all items are hidden
05:25 dcook cait: The problem with that is an ugly display
05:25 cait you confuse me dcook :)
05:25 mtompset I don't know what case you are talkikng about.
05:25 cait is the record findable using the search?
05:25 dcook Yes
05:25 mtompset Are you talking search screen or details?
05:25 cait and i mean in a resul tlist that is longer than 1
05:25 dcook search screen
05:25 dcook I'll lay out the scenario again
05:26 dcook There are 20 bibs with items of item type X
05:26 dcook There are 5 bibs that also have items of item type Y
05:26 dcook OpacHiddenItems is configured to hide item type X
05:26 dcook When I do a search that should bring up all 20 bibs, only the 5 with other items appear
05:26 cait that's about right
05:27 cait and the numbering is off
05:27 dcook (There is also another dimension where some of those 15 bibs will still appear if an item of type X is checked out...which is bizarre)
05:27 wahanui okay, dcook.
05:27 cait that is sadly right too
05:27 mtompset Exactly.
05:27 mtompset WHAT?! on the checked out?
05:27 dcook Yep
05:27 dcook Bizarre
05:27 cait hm
05:27 cait interesting
05:27 wahanui interesting is sometimes good and sometimes bad
05:27 dcook cait: My complaint is that all the bibs should appear
05:27 dcook Because the system preference should just hide "items" not "bibs"
05:27 cait nope they shouldn't
05:28 cait that's by design the way it is
05:28 dcook I think that's a bad design
05:28 cait not a bug
05:28 cait you can think that, but I rely on that behaviur
05:28 cait i can't use opacsuppression for records in the union catalog
05:28 dcook Fair enough. I like the idea.
05:28 cait so i need something on item level
05:28 dcook However, how do you deal with having search results that are ugly as sin?
05:28 cait that can do that :)
05:28 cait not yet
05:28 cait and we won't hide that many
05:28 cait if you hide 1 out of a result list of 20....
05:29 dcook Then it's not too bad
05:29 cait it doesn't look as bad as your example
05:29 dcook True
05:29 cait it could be a option
05:29 cait if the record is hidden with the items or not
05:29 dcook I think so
05:29 cait but what will the user think of records without any items showing?
05:29 * dcook is looking to add that option now ;)
05:29 dcook They don't like that either
05:29 * dcook sighs
05:29 cait hm
05:30 dcook Maybe this is the best way to do it
05:30 cait maybe you need to set opacsuppression then
05:30 dcook The only perfect solution would involve re-writing how search works
05:30 cait that works better
05:30 dcook Oh?
05:30 cait opacsuppression wokrs on index
05:30 cait so they never make it into the result list
05:30 cait so don't have to be hidden from it
05:30 dcook Mmm, that does sound much better
05:31 dcook I was originally thinking of a combo of opacsuppression and opachiddenitems
05:31 dcook From the sound of it, that should do the trick
05:31 cait i think one alone would work even :) but 2 might be more secure
05:31 cait if they forget to set the opacsuppression flag
05:32 cait i guess you could script some cronjob for setting it ... bu then you'd have to make sure the records get reindexed too
05:33 dcook Yeah, that would be a bit fiddly
05:34 dcook Maybe opachiddenitems is good enough
05:34 dcook And they can use opacsuppression just in case
05:34 dcook Although I think there is a bug where checked out hidden items still appear in the search results :S
05:35 dcook cait, mtompset: Do you know where/how the bibs are hidden by opachiddenitems?
05:35 dcook I can investigate the genuine bug there
05:35 cait i think it should happen on opac-details opac-results somehow
05:35 dcook opac-detail works all right
05:35 dcook It's just the results
05:36 dcook Both xslt and TT are affected which makes me wonder a bit
05:36 mtompset opacsuppression is better suited to "no one sees Lord of the Rings", regardless of how many copies or branches have it.
05:36 cait dcook: there are bugs about that
05:36 cait dcook: the conclusion is it can't be improved :
05:36 dcook O_o
05:36 dcook cait: What can't?
05:36 cait :(
05:36 cait the numbering
05:36 wahanui the numbering is confusing me
05:36 cait and paging
05:36 dcook Right, I agree
05:36 dcook It can't be improved unless the whole search system were overhauled
05:37 mtompset wizzyrea: I almost have the | delimited version working.
05:37 dcook I'm referring to the checked out hidden item showing
05:37 dcook That's not quite right
05:37 cait oh right
05:37 dcook The bib record attached to a checked out hidden item shows
05:37 dcook When it shouldn't - given the current design
05:37 cait i think i'd start looking in the code for opachiddenitem :)
05:38 mtompset dcook: I think you are mixing multiple problems in your head. :P
05:38 dcook mtompset: Not at all. Probably just not articulating myself well :p
05:38 mtompset Or perhaps a bit of both. :P
05:43 cait dcook: about your inventory problem, that might have a patch waiting
05:43 cait but not sure
05:44 cait there is a bigger inventory patch i keep running into
05:44 dcook cait: I've already closed that one, no?
05:44 cait ah
05:44 cait i am just starting to read my qa mails sorry
05:44 dcook No worries.
05:44 cait see, way more confused then you :)
05:44 dcook I hate posting a bug report that turns out to be invalid
05:44 dcook I would've sworn that I had checked master...
05:44 cait it happens :)
05:45 dcook Brain overworked I guess
05:45 dcook Looks like "SearchResults" is what does the bib level filtering..
05:45 cait i think that was a good one still
05:45 cait my invalid bugs are way sillier
05:46 dcook I don't know if I believe that, but I appreciate the attempt to cheer me up :p
05:46 cait oh believe it _)
05:46 cait :)
05:46 dcook if ($items_count > 0) {
05:46 dcook next if $is_opac       && $hideatopac_count >= $items_count;
05:47 dcook I think that's the culprit
05:47 cait hm $isopac?
05:47 dcook Well, not the culprit..
05:47 dcook $hideatopac_count >= $items_count
05:47 cait well that does the hiding
05:47 dcook Yeah
05:47 dcook Not sure why it wouldn't hide for checked out items..
05:47 cait should not be responsible for the checkout problem.... well depending on how it coutns the $hideopac_count
05:48 dcook Or the $items_count
05:48 dcook Nah, probably the hideopac_count
05:52 dcook Hmm, now I can't reproduce that bug
05:53 dcook Not on my dev system at least..
05:53 * cait sends cookies
05:54 dcook :)
05:57 dcook should be impossible
06:02 mtompset wizzyrea papa I've put up a revision to 10589 now.
06:03 mtompset It's 2am here. I should sleep.
06:03 dcook It's...bugs are evil o'clock here
06:03 dcook I should...not attack the computer.
06:03 dcook Have a good sleep, mtompset :)
06:03 mtompset Thanks.
06:03 mtompset Feel free to test my patch. ;)
06:04 dcook I wish I had the time to test patches
06:04 dcook I don't even have the time to post patches :S
06:04 mtompset Have a great day (24 hour period), #koha, dcook cait wizzyrea papa etc.
06:18 mcooper joined #koha
06:41 reiveune joined #koha
06:41 reiveune hello
06:41 wahanui bidet, reiveune
06:55 dcook salut reiveune :)
06:55 dcook As a side note, I think I've isolated the bug...
06:55 reiveune bonjour dcook :)
07:02 dcook Tout va bien, reiveune?
07:03 reiveune ça va, bientôt les vacances ;) et toi ?
07:04 dcook Ah, chouette!
07:04 dcook Ben...
07:04 * dcook essaie d'rappeler la phrase
07:05 matts joined #koha
07:05 dcook Assez occupé au travail
07:05 dcook Il y a toujour plus de bogues :p
07:05 reiveune dcook: bon courage :)
07:06 dcook merci :)
07:06 dcook J'en ai besoin, je pense ;)
07:07 christophe_c joined #koha
07:07 christophe_c hello koha
07:07 dcook hey christophe_c
07:07 wahanui christophe_c is sure about that kf ... :) yes I confirm since 1900 I have never seen so bad winter ... oups not so old ... quite
07:07 paul_p joined #koha
07:08 christophe_c hi dcook ;-)
07:08 matts joined #koha
07:08 lds joined #koha
07:10 dcook Mais, je dois rencontrer ma femme pour le dîner. Salut, tous les français. Bonne soirée!
07:10 dcook Night #koha!
07:32 gaetan_B joined #koha
07:32 gaetan_B hello
07:45 cait bye all and have a nice weekend
07:45 cait left #koha
07:53 marcelr joined #koha
07:53 marcelr hi #koha
07:57 drojf joined #koha
07:58 drojf good morning #koha
07:58 marcelr hi drojf
07:58 drojf and happy birthday cjh :)
07:58 drojf hi marcelr :)
07:59 marcelr Joubu: added a followup to bug 10441 for your quick review
07:59 huginn` Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10441 normal, P5 - low, ---,, Signed Off , UT: Testing AddShare in VirtualShelves.t
08:04 gerundio joined #koha
08:23 drojf @wunder berlin, germany
08:23 huginn` drojf: The current temperature in Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin, Germany is 26.0°C (10:13 AM CEST on July 25, 2013). Conditions: Partly Cloudy. Humidity: 41%. Dew Point: 12.0°C. Pressure: 30.01 in 1016 hPa (Steady).
08:34 cait-m joined #koha
08:39 cait-m alles gute zum geburtstag cjh!
08:51 cait-m joined #koha
08:56 drojf hi cait-m. on the road?
08:56 cait-m yep
08:56 cait-m switching trains now
09:00 drojf where are you going?
09:05 cait-m visiting family and friends
09:16 eythian hi
09:16 wahanui bonjour, eythian
09:56 eythian @wunder bn1 1nb
09:56 huginn` eythian: The current temperature in Brighton, Brighton, United Kingdom is 18.3°C (10:46 AM BST on July 25, 2013). Conditions: Mostly Cloudy. Humidity: 99%. Dew Point: 18.0°C. Pressure: 29.92 in 1013 hPa (Steady).
09:57 * marcelr Hopes to quit rebasing..
11:11 * wizzyrea waves
11:21 jwagner joined #koha
11:54 tcohen joined #koha
12:01 wizzyrea so. quiet
12:02 jwagner wizzyrea, that's because YOU should be sleeping......
12:02 wizzyrea :)
12:03 * jwagner tries to hum lullaby
12:03 * jwagner thinks better of it and starts on some Springsteen instead
12:04 wizzyrea lol
12:19 Dyrcona joined #koha
12:30 collum joined #koha
12:33 jcamins eythian++ # koha-create-dirs is really cool!
12:34 mjk joined #koha
12:35 mjk morning koha fans
12:38 jwagner hi mjk
12:40 mjk hey
12:41 mjk I had to invent a new subject header yesterday...
12:42 mjk "Filk music -- Lyrics."
12:42 jwagner or filk in general
12:45 mjk as i acatlog the NESFA library, I wouldn't be surprised if "Filk music -- history and criticism."  also made an appearance in the NESFA catalog.
12:45 mjk ;)
12:45 jcamins If you mean "Folk music" and you use LC there's actually an LC heading for that: $aFolk music$zTexts.
12:45 jcamins However, "Lyrics" will be easier to find.
12:45 jcamins (and therefore I approve)
12:46 jwagner jcamins, filk music is folk music in the context of science fiction fandom
12:46 jwagner It's a distinct sub-genre of music :-)
12:46 jcamins jwagner: huh. You learn something new every day.
12:46 jwagner filk isn't new.  Just not widely known outside SF fandom
12:46 jcamins New to me.
12:47 mjk when one is cataloging the library of an sf club, stuff like that emerges
12:47 jwagner mjk, is there a subject heading for fanzines?
12:47 jwagner or fanac? or SMOF?
12:48 jwagner The mind boggles at the possibilities for driving LC catalogers crazy!
12:48 mjk Luckily, these records will probably never exists outside the clubhouse network.
12:48 jwagner Or gafiation?
12:49 mjk I doubt we have any books on that.
12:49 * jwagner will have to write one, someday
12:49 jcamins You should sell the records to OCLC and join SACO!
12:49 mjk heh.
12:50 jwagner mjk, still trying to remember who was creating that computer db for the NESFA collection.  Did you check with Donald Eastlake or Tony Lewis ( are either of them still active?)
12:51 mjk jacmins, sound evil.
12:51 jcamins mjk: the SMOF command you to!
12:52 * jcamins just looked up all the terms you just mentioned.
12:52 * jwagner is a recovering former SMOF, and has been gafiated for many years
12:53 mjk jwagner, tony is still active but i only see don at cons.
12:53 jwagner NESFA at that time (when the clubhouse was purchased) had a high number of computer programmers. I'm sure _someone_ was doing a database. Just can't remember who, darnit
12:54 mjk there was the index (of short stories) but there was never an attempt to catalog the library
12:55 jwagner Maybe I'm remembering that someone meant to do it....
12:55 jcamins jwagner: that sounds like about how those projects usually go.
12:55 mjk at least koha seems to be working well.
12:56 mjk most of the members seem to see the value of the project and a few have expressed interest in learning to catalog stuff
12:57 mjk i do wonder, is there a way to view which users created/modified which records?
12:58 jwagner If you have logging turned on, and if each user has a separate login
12:59 mjk we're doing seperate logons and logging can be turned on.
12:59 mjk so that sounds good.
13:03 mjk 3.12.2 seems to have more new features than a normal point/bugfix release...
13:05 jcamins mjk: I haven't looked at the release notes yet, but there were a lot of new features in 3.12 that may have needed a bit of refinement.
13:15 tcohen joined #koha
13:19 tcohen morning #koha
13:19 tcohen @wunder cordoba, argentina
13:19 huginn` tcohen: The current temperature in Cordoba, Argentina is 8.0°C (10:00 AM ART on July 25, 2013). Conditions: Clear. Humidity: 27%. Dew Point: -10.0°C. Windchill: 6.0°C. Pressure: 30.18 in 1022 hPa (Steady).
13:21 marcelr hi tcohen
13:22 oleonard joined #koha
13:22 oleonard Hi #koha
13:22 marcelr hi oleonard
13:26 mjk hey
13:31 talljoy joined #koha
13:46 jcamins_web joined #koha
13:47 * oleonard welcomes this new web-based jcamins
13:48 tcohen he's not using your bootstrap work it seems
13:48 jcamins_web oleonard: apparently rebasing a branch took down my development server.
13:48 oleonard Must've been a helluva rebase.
13:48 jcamins_web oleonard: 3.10.x to 3.12.x.
13:50 oleonard Hooray, 18 days of out-of-office replies from
13:55 jenkins_koha Starting build #12 for job master_maria (previous build: STILL FAILING)
13:56 jcamins joined #koha
13:58 jenkins_koha Starting build #1338 for job Koha_master (previous build: SUCCESS)
13:59 mjk i'm wondering if it makes sense to run koha on an ssd
14:00 rambutan joined #koha
14:00 jcamins mjk: what's your goal?
14:00 eythian depends what you're trying to achieve
14:00 eythian heh
14:00 huginn` New commit(s) kohagit: Bug 10621: use correct from-address for subscription alert emails <[…]68244f0577ed34e4d>
14:00 mjk single-disk performance
14:01 eythian are you hitting disk very often?
14:01 mjk i'm just wondering if it's worth it for a system where peak load will be on the order of 10-15 transactions per minute
14:01 mjk currently the test server on loan to our group has an ssd
14:01 eythian everything is likely to be in cache anyway
14:02 mjk i'm just thinking that it might not be worth it to duplicate that when we get our own server
14:02 tcohen running everything on SSD makes sense, as long as you can afford it
14:02 tcohen you will notice when doing a full reindex
14:03 mjk i found out that it would cost about $1000 to buy the system we're borrowing and i don't think i can convince people to spring for that big an expense
14:03 mjk how often should i do a full reindex, btw
14:04 talljoy1 joined #koha
14:04 jcamins Whenever you manage to bork your indexes, or after an upgrade.
14:04 jcamins Whichever comes first.
14:06 mjk i wonder if anybody's running koha on arm...
14:06 jcamins Yes.
14:06 eythian yeah, it works on a rasberry pi apparently
14:06 jcamins It works on Raspberry Pi quite well.
14:07 mcooper joined #koha
14:07 mjk wait... it can perform on hardware that low end...
14:07 jcamins A tad slow, but the rPi is smaller than my phone and cost $35.
14:08 mjk is koha prebuilt for arm linux or does it need to be compiled from scratch
14:08 jcamins Koha is written in Perl.
14:09 mjk i guess the better question is, do the debian packages work on raspbian
14:10 jcamins Yes.
14:10 tcohen joined #koha
14:15 mjk hmm. if it works on a raspberry pi, it should work on one of these, then:[…]m=N82E16856107095
14:16 jcamins Yes.
14:17 jcamins I use something similar for my appliances.
14:18 mjk that will be easier to convince the business meeting to buy than an 8-core, 16 GB monser...
14:18 jcamins Aww, they discontinued the one that I usually use.
14:18 jcamins Guess I'll be installing the hard drive myself in the future. :)
14:19 jcamins It's the Zotac with the same CPU, but pre-assmbled with RAM and hd.
14:21 jcamins Whoah... they make Zotacs with 2.9Ghz Intel i5 processors now.
14:21 jenkins_koha Project master_maria build #12: STILL FAILING in 26 min: http://jenkins.koha-community.[…]/master_maria/12/
14:22 jenkins_koha Starting build #13 for job master_maria (previous build: STILL FAILING)
14:22 mjk jcamins, so zotac is a reliable brand for you?
14:23 jcamins mjk: I haven't had any problems, but I admit I haven't stress-tested them.
14:23 jcamins And now that the one I was using is discontinued, I'd probably read reviews for all the various systems again.
14:23 mjk well, internal-only use by no more than a few people at a time won't stress test them either
14:26 jcamins This is true.
14:26 tcohen are those zotac appliances easy to buy in the US?
14:27 jcamins tcohen: I just ordered them off Newegg.
14:27 jcamins Also available from Amazon.
14:27 * tcohen googles it
14:28 sylvar joined #koha
14:32 mjk this one looks good:[…]m=N82E16856173052
14:32 mjk all i'd need is storage and ram and it would be good to go,
14:32 sylvar Hi all! It appears the Koha seminar my wife wanted to take already happened and isn't scheduled for fall semester, so she's asking me to teach her Koha in the fall. Does anyone know of a cheap gadget that would be reasonably easy to install LAMP and Koha on?
14:33 * sylvar blinks
14:33 jcamins Yeah, that's more advanced than the one I used.
14:33 jcamins sylvar: funny that you should mention that.
14:33 sylvar I knew I shouldn't have doubled my dose of thiotimoline this morning
14:33 jcamins Hehe.
14:34 jcamins Koha will run on just about anything, down to a Raspberry Pi (really!).
14:34 jcamins That sort of book-sized computer will be plenty powerful that you won't particularly notice lag.
14:35 jcamins *so that
14:37 sylvar The Raspberry Pi is more like the price I'd been thinking of. :) I imagine Puppy Linux would be a decent choice?
14:37 sylvar jcamins++
14:37 jcamins sylvar: use raspbian.
14:38 jcamins Then you can follow these instructions:
14:38 jcamins raspberry pi?
14:38 wahanui Raspberry Pi embedded computers run Koha just fine. :) See[…]on_a_Raspberry_Pi
14:39 sylvar sweet! thanks!
14:42 tcohen anyone using 3.12 has objections about pushing bug 10356 into it? i consider it an usability bugfix
14:42 huginn` Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10356 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, chrish, Pushed to Master , adding date published to catalogue detail page
14:44 tcohen jcamins?
14:44 wahanui somebody said jcamins was insane.
14:44 jcamins Let me take a look.
14:44 jcamins No objection.
14:48 oleonard wahanui: jcamins?
14:48 wahanui somebody said jcamins was very, very irascible.
14:48 oleonard wahanui: jcamins?
14:48 wahanui ask him about serials and/or acquisitions.
14:48 oleonard Ha
14:49 jcamins oleonard: well, that is a good way to demonstrate that I am very, very irascible.
14:52 oleonard That always works for me too.
14:53 oleonard @seen khall
14:53 huginn` oleonard: khall was last seen in #koha 1 day, 22 hours, 32 minutes, and 47 seconds ago: <khall> is this as good a place to start as any?
14:57 jenkins_koha Project master_maria build #13: NOW UNSTABLE in 35 min: http://jenkins.koha-community.[…]/master_maria/13/
14:57 jenkins_koha Mirko Tietgen: Bug 10621: use correct from-address for subscription alert emails
14:57 huginn` Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10621 normal, P5 - low, ---, mirko, Pushed to Master , Subscription alert emails have wrong from-address
14:58 oleonard Anyone here able to advise me on getting the qa test tools installed?
14:58 oleonard When I run "prove" I get an error: t/Perl.t .. Can't locate File/ in @INC
14:58 oleonard I assume this means an environment variable isn't set up right? Not sure what i did wrong.
14:59 gmcharlt oleonard: apt-get install libfile-chdir-perl
14:59 jcamins I think maybe a missing package.
15:00 oleonard Hm, okay. I thought it handled all its dependencies in the installation process.
15:00 oleonard I was indeed missing that.
15:00 Callender_ joined #koha
15:02 Callender__ joined #koha
15:09 talljoy joined #koha
15:10 jenkins_koha Starting build #14 for job master_maria (previous build: NOW UNSTABLE)
15:10 huginn` New commit(s) kohagit: Bug 10463: ensure that Quote of the Day feature selects random quotes <[…]3ad1c454a04a3cb43>
15:13 tcohen release maintenance?
15:13 wahanui release maintenance is, like,[…]lease_maintenance
15:14 jenkins_koha Project Koha_master build #1338: SUCCESS in 1 hr 16 min: http://jenkins.koha-community.[…]Koha_master/1338/
15:15 jenkins_koha Mirko Tietgen: Bug 10621: use correct from-address for subscription alert emails
15:15 huginn` Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10621 normal, P5 - low, ---, mirko, Pushed to Master , Subscription alert emails have wrong from-address
15:15 jcamins tcohen++
15:16 jenkins_koha Starting build #74 for job Koha_3.12.x (previous build: SUCCESS)
15:20 talljoy joined #koha
15:23 Matt__ joined #koha
15:30 jcamins Hm. The Debian changelog for 3.12.x isn't available in git anywhere, is it?
15:34 tcohen it is generated when building the packages jcamins?
15:34 tcohen s/it is/is it/
15:37 jcamins tcohen: yeah, and eythian updates it in git every so often.
15:37 jcamins I just copied it out of the package.
15:39 tcohen should I push it too?
15:39 jcamins eythian will provide you with a patch at some point.
15:40 tcohen okok
15:40 gaetan_B bye !
15:42 eythian jcamins: it's in the catalyst repo
15:44 tcohen catalyst repo?
15:44 jcamins Hm. I don't see it.
15:45 jcamins
15:45 eythian yeah
15:45 mjk does anybody know of an offline cataloging tool that offers an interface better than marcedit
15:46 jenkins_koha Project master_maria build #14: STILL UNSTABLE in 36 min: http://jenkins.koha-community.[…]/master_maria/14/
15:46 jenkins_koha Kyle M Hall: Bug 10463: ensure that Quote of the Day feature selects random quotes
15:46 huginn` Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10463 minor, P5 - low, ---, kyle, Pushed to Master , Quote of the day feature not selecting random quotes
15:46 jcamins Oh, there it is.
15:47 jcamins Never mind.
15:47 wahanui Good, I'm glad you figured it out. I didn't understand, and probably never will, being a bot.
15:54 jcamins mjk: I do not.
15:55 mjk hmm, i'm, guessing i can't really create batches of records at home to import then.
15:55 jcamins You can't make Koha available on a public IP?
15:56 pianohacker joined #koha
15:58 mjk nope, nobody at the club wants to run an externally available server yet
15:59 tcohen set openvpn then :-D
15:59 jenkins_koha Project Koha_3.12.x build #74: SUCCESS in 44 min: http://jenkins.koha-community.[…]b/Koha_3.12.x/74/
15:59 jenkins_koha * Owen Leonard: Bug 10514: improve visibility of Add item link on new order form
15:59 jenkins_koha * Chris Cormack: Bug 7143: Updating history and about page
15:59 jenkins_koha * David Cook: Bug 10448: can now change framework after duplicating bib record
15:59 jenkins_koha * Chris Hall: bug 10356: improve display of serial issue dates in staff bib details page
15:59 jenkins_koha * Jason Etheridge: Bug 9770: test case for sorting of Dewey call numbers that contain prefixes
15:59 jenkins_koha * Jason Etheridge: Bug 9770: fix sorting of Dewey call numbers that contain prefixes
15:59 jenkins_koha * Galen Charlton: Bug 10258: fix permissions check for setting basket group for order basket
15:59 huginn` Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10514 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, koha-bugs, Pushed to Stable , Add item link on acquisitions add item is too small
15:59 huginn` Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=7143 trivial, P5 - low, ---,, ASSIGNED , Bug for tracking changes to the about page
15:59 jenkins_koha * Galen Charlton: Bug 10258: offer to create basket group only when staff user has correct permission
15:59 jenkins_koha * Mathieu Saby: Bug 10189: Translate values in UNIMARC 128b/c cataloguing plugins to English
15:59 huginn` Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10448 minor, P5 - low, ---, dcook, Pushed to Stable , Changing framework when cataloguing clears all fields
16:00 huginn` Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10356 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, chrish, Pushed to Stable , adding date published to catalogue detail page
16:00 huginn` Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=9770 minor, P5 - low, ---, gmcharlt, Pushed to Stable , C4::ClassSortRoutine::Dewey can pad the wrong part of a call number internally
16:00 huginn` Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10258 minor, P5 - low, ---, gmcharlt, Pushed to Stable , Remove erroneous call to haspermission in
16:00 huginn` Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10189 trivial, P5 - low, ---, mathieu.saby, Pushed to Stable , French values in cataloging plugins for unimarc 128b and 128c fields
16:01 huginn` New commit(s) kohagit: Bug 10070: fix saving searches with non-ASCII characters to anonymous search history <[…]274e706c7281d2675>
16:02 jenkins_koha Starting build #1339 for job Koha_master (previous build: SUCCESS)
16:03 mjk doing that would also require that i start switching the server on 24/7
16:03 tcohen heh
16:04 jcamins mjk: wake-on-lan?
16:04 jcamins Run a local Koha instance, and export your records from there every so often to upload?
16:04 mjk the power button is dody, the only way to turn it off is to unplug it before it reboots
16:04 mjk i could run a local instance, i guess
16:10 jenkins_koha Starting build #15 for job master_maria (previous build: STILL UNSTABLE)
16:10 melia joined #koha
16:10 eythian get a cheap VPS and run one there.
16:13 jcamins Or that.
16:14 * eythian is on holiday for August, so you can all expect your @later requests to be unanswered :)
16:15 * oleonard wants to be on holiday in Europe during all of August too
16:17 * mjk would rather be on holiday in europe in october when the weather's nice and stuff is actually open rather than being shut down because everyone's on holiday
16:17 eythian you still have a couple of days to makeit happen
16:19 jcamins @wunder konstanz
16:19 huginn` jcamins: The current temperature in Taegerwilen, Taegerwilen, Germany is 26.7°C (6:15 PM CEST on July 25, 2013). Conditions: Mostly Cloudy. Humidity: 71%. Dew Point: 21.0°C. Pressure: 30.04 in 1017 hPa (Steady).
16:19 jcamins @wunder 11375
16:19 huginn` jcamins: The current temperature in Glendale, Glendale, New York is 18.2°C (12:05 PM EDT on July 25, 2013). Conditions: Overcast. Humidity: 68%. Dew Point: 12.0°C. Pressure: 30.05 in 1018 hPa (Rising).
16:19 jcamins o.O
16:19 jcamins Really?
16:19 wahanui Really is off now
16:19 * jcamins runs to open the windows.
16:19 oleonard @wunder 45701
16:19 huginn` oleonard: The current temperature in OHDOT 31-Athens County Garage, Athens, Ohio is 22.2°C (11:31 AM EDT on July 25, 2013). Conditions: Clear. Humidity: 52%. Dew Point: 12.0°C. Pressure: 30.06 in 1018 hPa (Falling).
16:20 mjk @wunder 02131
16:20 huginn` mjk: The current temperature in Roslindale (Rosecliff), Roslindale, Massachusetts is 17.1°C (12:03 PM EDT on July 25, 2013). Conditions: Overcast. Humidity: 74%. Dew Point: 12.0°C. Pressure: 30.09 in 1019 hPa (Rising).
16:22 * jcamins weeps with joy.
16:22 jcamins It's beautiful out!
16:22 jcamins Other than the fact that it's dark.
16:24 reiveune bye
16:24 reiveune left #koha
16:26 liw @wunder 03334
16:26 huginn` liw: Error: No such location could be found.
16:27 liw @wunder 3334
16:27 huginn` liw: Error: No such location could be found.
16:27 jcamins liw++ # build-git-snapshot is great
16:27 liw jcamins, :)
16:30 jcamins Wow. It's just so nice out.
16:30 jcamins And it's 12:30pm.
16:30 liw scorching hot, oppressive weather here... this is now why I moved to Manchester
16:31 eythian @wunder bn1 1nb
16:31 huginn` eythian: The current temperature in Brighton, Brighton, United Kingdom is 18.1°C (5:30 PM BST on July 25, 2013). Conditions: Mostly Cloudy. Humidity: 99%. Dew Point: 18.0°C. Pressure: 29.95 in 1014 hPa (Steady).
16:31 eythian fairly pleasant here
16:31 eythian @wunder utrecht
16:31 huginn` eythian: Error: No such location could be found.
16:32 eythian @wunder utrecht, nederland
16:32 huginn` eythian: The current temperature in NMU-Wageningen University, Utrecht, Netherlands is 28.5°C (6:27 PM CEST on July 25, 2013). Conditions: Clear. Humidity: 57%. Dew Point: 19.0°C. Pressure: 29.95 in 1014 hPa (Steady).
16:32 eythian that's where I'll be in the weekend. That's not so pleasant.
16:33 liw eythian, scorching hot, unpleasant horrible hateful weather, that is
16:33 eythian @wunder wellington
16:33 huginn` eythian: Error: No such location could be found.
16:33 eythian @wunder nzwn
16:33 huginn` eythian: The current temperature in Wellington, New Zealand is 8.0°C (4:00 AM NZST on July 26, 2013). Conditions: Clear. Humidity: 87%. Dew Point: 6.0°C. Windchill: 6.0°C. Pressure: 29.86 in 1011 hPa (Steady).
16:33 liw see, that's much better
16:34 liw I knew I should've stayed there
16:34 eythian well it is midwinter there, which is typically not very nice.
16:35 Dyrcona and earthquakes.
16:35 jcamins ... and I forgot to include a patch in the packages I just built.
16:35 eythian yeah, wintery and shakey.
16:35 mjk oh well. i have to go. see you guys
16:35 eythian later
16:36 Dyrcona @wunder 01845
16:36 huginn` Dyrcona: The current temperature in North Andover, Massachusetts is 16.8°C (12:32 PM EDT on July 25, 2013). Conditions: Overcast. Humidity: 63%. Dew Point: 10.0°C. Pressure: 30.14 in 1020 hPa (Rising).
16:36 Dyrcona @wunder montevideo, uruguay
16:36 huginn` Dyrcona: The current temperature in Montevideo, Uruguay is 13.0°C (1:00 PM UYT on July 25, 2013). Conditions: Clear. Humidity: 44%. Dew Point: 1.0°C. Pressure: 30.33 in 1027 hPa (Falling).
16:36 Dyrcona That's more like it. :)
16:44 liw eythian, clearly I should live in NZ June-August and in Manchester the rest of the year :)
16:44 * liw doesn't like hot weather
16:45 liw correction
16:45 eythian I've been doing the inverse, but it's a bit unusual for it to have been quite so hot lately
16:45 * liw doesn't like hot weather for long periods of time, like more than a few days
16:46 liw eythian, btw, if you pop up to Mcr, we could have dinner or something :)
16:47 jenkins_koha Project master_maria build #15: STILL UNSTABLE in 37 min: http://jenkins.koha-community.[…]/master_maria/15/
16:47 jenkins_koha Jonathan Druart: Bug 10070: fix saving searches with non-ASCII characters to anonymous search history
16:47 huginn` Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10070 major, P5 - low, ---, chris, Pushed to Master , History of anonymous searches is not kept
16:48 eythian alas, I won't get the chance. Out of the UK from tomorrow
17:01 * druthb pings Germany; neither cait nor drojf is around today...
17:03 * oleonard imagines druthb needs to know the word for some complex and mixed emotion and can't find one in English
17:03 druthb That would require deep thinking, oleonard, and that ain't happenin' today
17:09 bigbrovar joined #koha
17:16 jenkins_koha Project Koha_master build #1339: UNSTABLE in 1 hr 16 min: http://jenkins.koha-community.[…]Koha_master/1339/
17:16 jenkins_koha * Kyle M Hall: Bug 10463: ensure that Quote of the Day feature selects random quotes
17:16 jenkins_koha * Jonathan Druart: Bug 10070: fix saving searches with non-ASCII characters to anonymous search history
17:16 huginn` Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10463 minor, P5 - low, ---, kyle, Pushed to Master , Quote of the day feature not selecting random quotes
17:16 huginn` Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10070 major, P5 - low, ---, chris, Pushed to Master , History of anonymous searches is not kept
17:17 drojf joined #koha
17:17 jenkins_koha Starting build #75 for job Koha_3.12.x (previous build: SUCCESS)
17:17 drojf marcelr++
17:34 mtompset joined #koha
17:34 mtompset Greetings, #koha.
17:35 mtompset Cool! Happy Birthday, cjh. :)
17:35 druthb drojf!  mtompset!
17:36 * druthb chucks skittles at both of them.
17:36 mtompset You realize you must be spending a virtual fortune on those? :P
17:36 mtompset Greetings, druthb. :)
17:36 oleonard mtompset: It would be even more foolish to spend money on good-tasting candy for throwing at others
17:36 druthb I buy the stale ones; since they're not good to eat anyway, they make good ammo.
17:37 * oleonard wouldn't think of chucking his precious Reeses pieces
17:37 mtompset oleonard: Or if someone prefers good tasting candy which supposedly can be used to make an interesting vodka mix.
17:37 druthb oh, noooo…reese's pieces aren't ammo.  ET bait.
17:37 * gmcharlt hopes that if druthb ever plays paintball, that she remembers to check that she's loading the right sort of ammo first
17:37 * mtompset laughs.
17:38 mtompset Good one, gmcharlt.
17:39 mtompset Okay, I've been told to use any instead of grep. Can someone point me at documentation and/or examples using any()?
17:40 senator perldoc List::Util
17:40 senator whoops, that's not it actually
17:40 senator perldoc List::MoreUtils
17:41 gmcharlt senator++
17:43 mtompset MoreUtils... I was going... where is any?! Thanks.
17:46 mtompset Oh, do I ever feel stupid... the use of any is just a couple lines above my grep.
17:50 mtompset senator++ # thanks for the pointer.
17:52 senator no prob. yeah when i see one of those subs with a short name like that for the first time, i sometimes think it's a Perl keyword or something that i've been missing the whole time
17:53 gmcharlt wannabe keywords
17:54 senator indeed
17:56 mtompset I suppose the major advantage being that it is more readable than grep?
17:57 senator mtompset: I think that's the idea yes, and it *might* return faster for large lists, but i'm not positive
17:58 gerundio joined #koha
17:59 jenkins_koha Project Koha_3.12.x build #75: SUCCESS in 42 min: http://jenkins.koha-community.[…]b/Koha_3.12.x/75/
17:59 jenkins_koha * Fridolyn SOMERS: Bug 6898: fix DB update that assigns the circulate/overdues_report permission
17:59 jenkins_koha * Owen Leonard: Bug 10422 - Remove references to unused and non-existent wizard.css
17:59 jenkins_koha * Jonathan Druart: Bug 10527: remove disused routine C4::Branch::get_branch_code_from_name
17:59 jenkins_koha * Jonathan Druart: Bug 10504: Remove the unused C4::Acq::ModOrderItem routine
17:59 jenkins_koha * Kenza Zaki: Bug 10575 : GetOrdersByBiblionumber.t needs a database transaction
17:59 huginn` Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=6898 major, P3, ---, fridolyn.somers, Pushed to Stable , circulation librarians can't run overdues without reports permissions
17:59 jenkins_koha * Kenza Zaki: Bug 10499: VirtualShelves.t - wrap tests in a database transaction
17:59 huginn` Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10422 minor, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, Pushed to Stable , Remove references to unused and non-existent wizard.css
17:59 jenkins_koha * Jonathan Druart: Bug 10275: UT: OrderFromSubscription.t needs to create its own data
17:59 jenkins_koha * Jonathan Druart: Bug 10275: Use a transaction for OrderFromSubscription.t
17:59 jenkins_koha * Jonathan Druart: Bug 10274: UT: Acquisition.t needs to create its own data
17:59 jenkins_koha * Jonathan Druart: Bug 10274: Execute sql queries into a transaction
17:59 huginn` Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10527 normal, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart, Pushed to Stable , C4::Branch::get_branch_code_from_name is useless
17:59 jenkins_koha * Galen Charlton: bug 10556: regression test for setting deliverytime when adding vendor
17:59 jenkins_koha * Jonathan Druart: Bug 10556: The delivery time is not inserted on adding a supplier.
17:59 huginn` Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10504 normal, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart, Pushed to Stable , C4::Acquisition::ModOrderItem is unused
17:59 jenkins_koha * Adrien Saurat: Bug 10170: strings in MARC import made translatable
17:59 jenkins_koha * Galen Charlton: Bug 10170: expose more managed staged MARC strings to translation
17:59 huginn` Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10575 normal, P5 - low, ---, kenza.zaki, Pushed to Stable , UT: GetOrdersByBiblionumber.t needs a database transaction
17:59 huginn` Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10499 normal, P5 - low, ---, kenza.zaki, Pushed to Stable , UT: VirtualShelves.t needs a database transaction
18:00 huginn` Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10275 normal, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart, Pushed to Stable , UT: OrderFromSubscription.t needs to create its own data
18:00 huginn` Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10274 normal, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart, Pushed to Stable , UT: Acquisition.t needs to create its own data
18:00 huginn` Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10556 normal, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart, Pushed to Stable , deliverytime is not inserted on adding a supplier
18:00 huginn` Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10170 minor, P5 - low, ---, adrien.saurat, Pushed to Stable , non translatable strings in manage-marc-import (actions and table values)
18:00 jenkins_koha Starting build #1340 for job Koha_master (previous build: UNSTABLE -- last SUCCESS #1338 4 hr 2 min ago)
18:01 tcohen gmcharlt++
18:17 NateC joined #koha
18:19 mcooper joined #koha
18:20 mtompset Ooo... that's a good patch (10170).
18:21 mtompset Greetings, tcohen  NateC mcooper. :)
18:21 NateC hiya!
18:25 drojf1 joined #koha
18:27 mtj joined #koha
18:33 tcohen hi mtompset
18:35 mtompset papa++ # really appreciate the feedback and looking at my tiny enhancement.
18:53 rambutan joined #koha
18:57 oleonard Oh hey look self-checkout looks awful with ccsr selected.
18:57 jcamins oleonard: didn't you already fix that?
18:58 oleonard If so I did a terrible job!
19:00 druthb @excuse
19:00 huginn` druthb: My excuse for today is "proton decay"
19:00 druthb He fixed it, but bit rot set in, jcamins.
19:01 oleonard Gremlins unfixed it.
19:01 druthb little monsters.
19:02 druthb (no, not Lady Gaga fans...)
19:10 bag hey druthb
19:11 druthb yo, bag!
19:17 jenkins_koha Project Koha_master build #1340: STILL UNSTABLE in 1 hr 17 min: http://jenkins.koha-community.[…]Koha_master/1340/
19:46 tcohen how can i batch create several koha-instances using --use-db with koha-create not wanting to connect to the DB? (using passwd)
19:46 tcohen there was some env variable to set...
19:47 * tcohen should seriously resume its work on the koha-create script soon
20:13 fredy joined #koha
20:18 paul_p joined #koha
20:27 tcohen bye #koha
20:32 oleonard Bye #koha
20:37 NateC joined #koha
20:46 melia joined #koha
20:56 NateC joined #koha
20:59 * wizzyrea waves
21:00 * pianohacker has to be going nuts
21:01 rambutan joined #koha
21:02 pianohacker either that, or we've been getting a small part of MARC21 wrong for years
21:02 pianohacker[…]af077;hb=HEAD#l19
21:03 pianohacker also hi wizzyrea
21:03 rangi we should use more marc
21:03 wahanui http://02varvara.files.wordpre[…]no-bear.jpg?w=800
21:04 wizzyrea http://kohadevreactions.tumblr[…]we-need-more-marc
21:05 pianohacker heh. I've been feeling that the more I stare at obtruse LOC documentation
21:06 pianohacker Does anyone know if the above is intentional, though? It's been there since before 3.0
21:09 tcohen joined #koha
21:10 tcohen hi mtompset
21:10 rangi could be, i have no idea
21:10 tcohen logs?
21:10 wahanui i heard logs was
21:11 tcohen hi rangi
21:11 rangi heya tcohen
21:12 * pianohacker checks notes
21:13 tcohen is there a gif for people obssesively retrying something like "this time the indexer daemon patches will be pushed"? I deserve one
21:13 pianohacker rangi: It says here that you've been here since the beginning, and thus are supposed to know everything
21:13 bag ^^^^^
21:13 bag awesome
21:13 wahanui That'll be $1 for the awesome jar, bag
21:13 bag not a problem wahanui
21:14 bag wahanui: what's the total I owe to the awesome jar?
21:14 wahanui no idea, bag
21:14 bag bummer
21:15 rangi heh
21:16 rangi i reserve the right to try to forget anything i ever knew about marc
21:16 bag you should have replied - "I've forgotten more than you know"
21:16 bag HA
21:16 pianohacker rangi: I'm writing a pure-JS MARC editor. I thought that would be all of your favorite flavors of fun
21:17 rangi heh
21:17 jenkins_koha Starting build #16 for job master_maria (previous build: STILL UNSTABLE)
21:21 rangi down to 23 fails now
21:29 NateC joined #koha
21:37 mtompset nope nope nope?!
21:49 wizzyrea mtompset: re your most recent message to the list: http://kohadevreactions.tumblr[…]-zebra-pl-as-root
21:51 mtompset Ha ha... wizzyrea, quite possibly.
21:51 mtompset The person caused their own problem by running as root.
21:54 jenkins_koha Project master_maria build #16: STILL UNSTABLE in 36 min: http://jenkins.koha-community.[…]/master_maria/16/
21:54 rangi w00t down to 11
21:55 bag turn it up to 11
21:56 NateC joined #koha
21:56 mtompset 11 on some dashboard somewhere?
22:01 mtompset Who assembled "Koha Dev Reactions"?
22:03 mtompset Oh yes. This is so true: http://kohadevreactions.tumblr[…]arch-pm-didnt-you
22:06 rambutan joined #koha
22:08 jenkins_koha Starting build #17 for job master_maria (previous build: STILL UNSTABLE)
22:10 jcamins pianohacker: what's wrong with that line?
22:10 jcamins Looks right to me.
22:11 jcamins Unless you're saying the leader plugin is 1-based not 0-based, in which case, yeah, totally wrong.
22:11 pianohacker jcamins: From my reading of the code and the MARC21 leader standard, it should be a value of " ", rather than "a". Small thing, but it makes me want to cross-check anything I copy from the existing cataloging plugins
22:12 pianohacker jcamins: Plus, it's not even that it's 1-based, it's just that the first part should read 0-4 rather than 1-4
22:12 cjh pianohacker: you had to read a marc standard, I am so sorry.
22:12 jcamins pianohacker: wait, I was looking at line 21.
22:12 jcamins Line 19 is wrong.
22:12 pianohacker cjh: Working on a new cataloging editor, I'm looking at the whole kit and caboodle
22:13 jcamins There should be an additional option for blank.
22:13 jcamins Actually, that's obsoleted.
22:13 * jcamins does a happy dance.
22:13 pianohacker jcamins: Okay, phew. Didn't think that was valid
22:13 cjh pianohacker: it is ok, we are here for you.
22:14 pianohacker heh
22:14 drojf marc is obsoleted? \o/
22:14 cjh ^^ please.
22:14 jcamins Take that, pre-USMARC-standard-that-I-worked-with!
22:14 pianohacker oh, it's been obsoleted since it was designed
22:14 pianohacker people just kept using it for some perverse reason
22:15 pianohacker jcamins: And what on earth would that have been?!
22:15 jcamins pianohacker: I'm forgetting the name.
22:15 jcamins Which is silly.
22:15 wizzyrea a new cataloguing editor.
22:15 wizzyrea you, son, are brave.
22:15 jcamins MicroLIF.
22:15 wizzyrea deep respect.
22:16 cjh heh
22:16 jcamins Now remembered only for its serialization format, it actually had tags that were slightly different than USMARC.
22:17 cait joined #koha
22:17 jcamins cait?
22:17 wahanui cait is qam, not your secretary
22:17 jcamins cait?
22:17 wahanui go back to bed, cait.
22:17 mtompset Greetings, cait jcamins wizzyrea bag rangi etc. :)
22:17 jcamins ^^ that's it.
22:18 cait hm?
22:18 cait hi all :)
22:18 pianohacker wizzyrea: Blame bag; I've been wanting to do it for years, but he's the client :)
22:18 jcamins pianohacker: you're not integrating any MARC rules into your editor, right?
22:19 pianohacker jcamins: Depends on what you mean by that. Anything MARC21-specific is modularized out, but the codebase is currently MARC specific, yes
22:20 jcamins I mean the only assumption that is safe to make about MARC is that every record should have a leader (not will, but should, and therefore adding one is legitimate).
22:21 jcamins Well... one other safe assumption: it's going to be painful. :P
22:21 pianohacker jcamins: Indeed. Numeric tag numbers and alphanumeric subfields aren't even a safe assumption, as I found out
22:22 wizzyrea adding a leader is good until you get the guy asking "why are all my things "books" when I gave them type 'DVD'"
22:22 jcamins No, definitely not.
22:22 jcamins wizzyrea: that is an unfortunate side effect of the fact that the MARC format requires a leader.
22:23 wizzyrea yep - I'm not arguing that :)
22:23 wizzyrea i'm not really arguing anything tbh
22:23 * wizzyrea started a reply to that message, got tired
22:23 pianohacker My code actually starts by overriding about half of the leaders just for sheer required sanity...
22:24 jcamins pianohacker: no doubt you know this, but in UNIMARC fixed fields are 1xx.
22:24 cait and they don't do isbd punctuation in the records...
22:24 jcamins And UNIMARC records actually have a different structure. Especially authority records.
22:25 pianohacker jcamins: Just to verify, those are fixed fields with subfields, not control fields, correct?
22:25 jcamins pianohacker: I actually do not recall, which is why I mentioned it.
22:26 * jcamins is baking cookies now. :)
22:26 pianohacker heh, fair enough. UNIMARC is going to be a whole other ball of wax
22:26 pianohacker jcamins: MARC discussion recovery fuel? :)
22:27 jcamins pianohacker: celebration of the fact that it's cool out.
22:27 pianohacker also good
22:27 pianohacker what kind of cookies?
22:28 cait cookies!
22:28 wahanui Cookies are delicious delicacies
22:28 jcamins Peanut butter chocolate-chip and orange-mint sugar cookies.
22:28 jcamins Made with actual orange-mint.
22:30 cait mmmh
22:30 jcamins On another subject, Shari discovered today why I like our knives so much.
22:30 wizzyrea because they are very extremely sharp?
22:30 jcamins Yes.
22:30 wizzyrea she still has all of her digits?
22:30 jcamins Yes, thankfully.
22:30 pianohacker ^ best possible attribute of a knife
22:31 wizzyrea only relevant attribute of a knife, most times. :P
22:31 jcamins But she didn't realize that it would go straight through an avocado seed without any particular effort.
22:31 pianohacker oh wow
22:31 papa joined #koha
22:31 wizzyrea oh did she try to do the whack the seed trick?
22:32 jcamins I suspect so.
22:32 wizzyrea ouch ouch ouch
22:32 jcamins Well, she didn't cut herself, so all's good.
22:40 jcamins Hm.
22:40 jcamins What do you guys think about zucchini bread?
22:41 cait yum?
22:41 wahanui well, yum is friendly enough.
22:41 NateC joined #koha
22:42 jcamins Thanks.
22:42 jcamins Or maybe I'll make mini-zucchini squares.
22:44 cait yum?
22:44 wahanui somebody said yum was friendly enough.
22:44 cait good night all :)
22:46 jenkins_koha Project master_maria build #17: STILL UNSTABLE in 37 min: http://jenkins.koha-community.[…]/master_maria/17/
22:48 Topic for #koha is now Welcome to the Koha IRC channel. The next general meeting is 7 August 2013 at 02:00 UTC. Please use for long pastes
22:50 jcamins Or I suppose I could go for the Best Husband award and make zucchini pancakes...
23:11 dcook joined #koha
23:13 dcook morning #koha
23:29 NateC joined #koha
23:34 cjh joined #koha
23:38 dcook wb cjh
23:38 dcook Man...what're the chances of running into these circular dependency problems two days in a row..
23:52 mtompset high? because the person doing it is the same? ;)
23:54 dcook Different libraries, mtompset :p
23:54 dcook Must be the situation that jcamins mentioned where loading modules in different ways produces different results
23:55 dcook in different ways = at different times

| Channels | #koha index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | plain, newest first | summary