IRC log for #koha, 2013-06-14

All times shown according to UTC.

Time S Nick Message
00:02 jcamins I think that could be used with koha-gitify to great effect.
00:02 dani left #koha
00:04 dcook jcamins++
00:06 mtompset Ah, the default is RaiseError=>0, PrintError=>1 if not specified.
00:06 mtompset Making a warning out of an error.
00:08 rangi yep
00:14 dcook Ahh, reading irc logs from after I left yesterday. What am I doing?!
00:14 dcook Need to get a #koha feed installed in the brain perhaps...
00:14 * dcook goes back to trying to figure out why a null size would come out as "33" or "34" in the Lists...
00:15 dcook Also, thank the technology lords for Git. Makes this a million times easier to try to figure out.
00:23 dcook Oh...a clue...
00:31 dcook AHHHH
00:32 dcook Of course!
00:32 dcook Osti..
00:33 dcook itemsloo.size doesn't get the key for size
00:33 dcook It gets the size of the itemsloop
00:33 dcook Which is why it's 33 in 3.8 and 34 in master..
00:33 dcook Hmm, that's problematic
00:33 dcook http://www.template-toolkit.or[…]html#section_size
00:42 dcook Hmm, I guess the biblioitems table is the only one with a `size` column
00:43 dcook I wonder where else we're actually getting the size of an array...
00:44 jcamins biblioitems has a size column?
00:44 dcook Yep
00:44 dcook Pages too
00:45 dcook Illus
00:48 tcohen joined #koha
00:48 dcook Hmm, my explanation wasn't quite right
00:48 dcook itemsloo.size returns the number of keys in the itemsloo hash
00:49 dcook Not the number of hashes in the itemsloop array
00:49 dcook durr
00:49 dcook hey ya tcohen
00:49 tcohen hi dcook
00:49 dcook A quick grep suggests that we usually use ".size" as a method rather than as a reference to a hash key
00:49 dcook Except in this case
00:50 dcook Easy enough to fix though..
00:52 drnoe joined #koha
00:56 tcohen what bug are you talking about dcook?
00:56 dcook I'm just about to file a report :)
00:56 dcook Currently, in the Lists, if the column `size` is null in biblioitems, itemsloo.size will print out the size of the hash rather than the `size` of the List item
00:57 dcook Interestingly, if the column isn't null, it does print out the value in `size` rather than the size of the hash...
00:57 * dcook just recalled that last fact
00:58 tcohen is it a but in tt?
00:58 tcohen or is it the desired behaviour?
00:58 dcook Well...".size" is a method in TT
00:58 dcook We really shouldn't be using it to access the key in a hash
00:59 tcohen I didn't understand it that way
00:59 dcook The fact that it does sometimes print out the value in the hash...that's probably a bug in TT
00:59 tcohen exactly
01:00 dcook Certainly something to keep in mind and possibly report to TT developers, our case...I think it makes sense just to use a different hash key
01:00 dcook Because it "should" always be getting the size of the hash rather than getting a key from it, I think
01:00 dcook And we definitely do NOT want the size of the hash in this case
01:01 dcook I wonder if this is happening in opac-results for the Normal display..
01:02 drnoe joined #koha
01:02 tcohen i hope this is nt a pandora's box you're opening
01:02 dcook How do you  mean?
01:02 tcohen i mean that we notice we are doing things wrong all over the place
01:02 dcook Mmm, I see.
01:03 dcook I hope this isn't the case as well.
01:03 tcohen's_box
01:03 dcook It looks like does use SEARCH_RESULT.size...but it doesn't have the same problem.
01:03 dcook tcohen: I'm fairly familiar with Pandora's box, although I usually think of it in terms of...the person opening it to be an idiot ;)
01:04 * dcook goes to read the entry
01:05 tcohen oh, we use it in argentina (at least) to mean no one  knows what's going to come from the inside
01:05 tcohen i understand i should be more careful with metaphores
01:05 dcook No not at all
01:06 dcook I think my usage has been incorrect
01:06 dcook Probably too many tv shows when I was younger ;)
01:06 jcamins dcook: yep, sorry.
01:06 dcook Hmm, I guess the idea is that Pandora should've known better than to have opened it...
01:07 dcook seemed destined to happen anyway...
01:09 dcook I wonder why the .size issue doesn't seem to be happening in opac-results...
01:10 tcohen one interesting consecquence of pandora's box metaphore is that hope seems to be evil :-D
01:10 * tcohen runs to the kitchen
01:16 dcook Hmm, seems not to pass back a null size to
01:17 dcook But that's probably because it's not getting size from the biblioitems
01:17 dcook But rather from the MARC record...
01:33 drnoe joined #koha
01:40 dcook Aha!
01:40 dcook[…]w_bug.cgi?id=6374
01:40 huginn Bug 6374: normal, P3, ---, adrien.saurat, CLOSED FIXED, Use "size" as names/hash keys leads to an unexpected results when using Template::Toolkit (name of a virtual method there)
01:41 dcook Definitely seeing the value of keeping whitespace changes separate from code changes...
02:19 druthb o/
02:19 rangi hi druthb
02:19 druthb hiya, rangi. :)
02:19 rangi dcook: -w
02:20 rangi eg git blame -w filename
02:20 rangi ignore whitespace changes
02:20 rangi works diff too
02:20 dcook Yeah, I remember you mentioning that a while ago. I think I tried it once and it didn't work all that well..
02:20 dcook In this case, I figure it out anyway but maybe I'll try it again
02:32 dcook Just tried with git diff, and it didn't seem to do anything
02:32 dcook Not sure why git blame would need a -w either, or how it would work
02:33 dcook Wait...
02:33 dcook Nix that very last part
02:33 dcook Hmm, I don't think it worked though
02:33 dcook rangi: Could -w be config specific?
02:34 rangi hmm perhaps but i dont think so
02:36 dcook Maybe my expectations of how it's supposed to work don't correspond to what actually happens
02:37 dcook In this case:[…]=7028&action=edit I pretty much just had to ctrl+f / eyeball it
02:39 rangi had it been pushed already?
02:40 dcook Oh yeah
02:40 dcook 'bout a year and a half ago
02:40 rangi check this out
02:40 rangi git show 74506e52deb383589b541848bbb2026aa4991f81
02:41 rangi vs
02:41 rangi git show -w 74506e52deb383589b541848bbb2026aa4991f81
02:43 dcook That's awesome!
02:44 dcook I thought it didn't show any whitespace changes at all
02:44 mtompset "Note that you must have the Suppress index set up in Zebra and at least one suppressed item, or your searches will be broken."
02:44 mtompset Question: how do I know if the suppress index is set up in Zebra?
02:45 dcook I suspect by checking your Zebra config files, but perhaps there's a faster way
02:45 mtompset but what would I expect to see in my config files?
02:45 jcamins mtompset: it's always set up.
02:45 mtompset Then why did my search bust, and I changed OpacSuppression and then it works?
02:45 eythian why does that patch only have biblibre email addresses attached to it?
02:46 jcamins eythian: I wondered that too.
02:46 jcamins mtompset: because you did not have any items suppressed.
02:46 dcook Huh...good call, eythian
02:46 wizzyrea see: pushed 1.5 years ago
02:46 dcook Different rules back then?
02:46 wizzyrea no.
02:46 wizzyrea just more bending of them.
02:47 dcook Ahh
02:47 dcook :(
02:47 mtompset but we do.
02:47 jcamins In that case, misconfiguration.
02:47 dcook mtompset, you're sure that you have an item with a 952$n set?
02:47 dcook Wait..
02:48 dcook 942
02:48 dcook That's interesting
02:49 dcook Yeah, 942$n with a value of 1
02:49 dcook Maybe try re-indexing?
02:50 dcook rangi++
02:50 dcook Thanks for the tip and the illustration of how it works :)
02:54 jcamins Wow. The Acquisitions APIs are appalling, aren't they?
02:56 drnoe joined #koha
02:58 dcook jcamins: I just want to double-check...the Zebra index for the biblionumber is "Local-Number" ?
02:58 jcamins Yes.
02:58 dcook Sweet. Thanks.
03:00 dcook Setting up a record matching rule for bib number..
03:08 drnoe joined #koha
03:21 dcook Quick question...
03:21 dcook If you export all your bib records (but don't export items)
03:22 dcook Then re-import them using a record matching rule where you use the bib number (999$c)
03:22 dcook Where you replace existing records and ignore items...
03:22 dcook The item data should all be preserved and nothing should be changed except the marcxml, and associated other fields in the biblio and biblioitems tables?
03:33 cjh confetti
03:33 wahanui o/ '`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`
03:33 dcook O_o
03:33 dcook Yay?
03:33 cjh its a Friday, and a good one at that.
03:33 wizzyrea get the popcorn
03:33 wahanui
03:34 dcook It's not too shabby at all
03:34 dcook Although now I really want buttered and salted popcorn..
03:34 cjh heh
03:35 dcook I'm really glad that I sorted out that weird number issue in the lists
03:35 * dcook just noticed that darth_tater is now just tater
03:37 dcook Hmm, it's impossible to delete a list unless you're the owner, right?
03:43 dcook List permissions are weird...perhaps even weirder in master than in the past..
03:45 dcook A superlibrarian really should be able to edit and delete lists..
03:46 dcook cjh, wizzyrea: Are you two in the office? Only 15 minutes until beer o'clock?
03:46 cjh maybe...
03:46 wahanui maybe is, like, a momentaneous error
03:46 cjh wahanui: not in ternary logic!
03:46 wahanui cjh: what?
03:46 wizzyrea :)
03:46 cjh wahanui: exactly.
03:46 wahanui cjh: i'm not following you...
03:46 * dcook chuckles
03:52 kristina joined #koha
03:53 cjh ohhhhh a wild kristina !
03:53 cjh welcome :)
03:53 dcook wizzyrea: I really cannot stop thinking of popcorn...*slightlygrumpyface* :p
03:54 cjh dcook: I know this sound crazy, so dont shoot it down too quickly
03:54 cjh dcook: but you could, just maybe, get popcorn
03:54 cjh mind = blown
03:54 dcook :O
03:54 dcook I...
03:54 cjh http://meremortalblog.files.wo[…]d-blown.jpg?w=412
03:55 cjh wahanui: mind blown is <reply>http://meremortalblog.files.wo[…]d-blown.jpg?w=412
03:55 dcook Precisely!
03:55 wahanui OK, cjh.
03:55 dcook I was going to say that we don't have a microwave or a stove here
03:55 cjh here we have 'butter lovers' microwave popcorn
03:55 cjh MMMHHHMMM
03:55 dcook But I could actually go to the cinema just for popcorn
03:55 dcook Not even see a film
03:55 dcook Just get the popcorn and leave
03:55 cjh heh
03:55 dcook I'm walking right by there on the way to the bus...
03:55 cjh doo eett
03:56 dcook Oh God...I forsee a horrible (yet delicious) future for myself
03:56 dcook foresee even
03:56 drnoe joined #koha
03:56 dcook cjh: I might have to. Hehe
03:56 * cjh earns commission
03:57 cjh catalyt is secretly in teh popcorn business.
03:57 * wizzyrea idly wonders if theatre popcorn is vegan
03:58 cjh I guess it could be fake butter, and probably is
03:58 wizzyrea I *think* it's coconut oil, or palm oil
03:58 wizzyrea which by the way
03:58 wizzyrea popcorn with coconut oil rivals butter in almost every way
03:58 wizzyrea it's aweosme
03:58 wizzyrea so good I can't spell correctly
03:59 cjh nope. impossible.
03:59 dcook I'm intrigued
03:59 dcook Also, good call wizzyrea
03:59 dcook I don't think there's any dairy in it
04:00 dcook Have you ever seen the stuff in a tub?
04:00 dcook I had a friend who volunteered at a film society and he once showed me what it was like to make popcorn...
04:00 * dcook cringes
04:00 dcook Horrifying yet delicious.
04:02 eythian anyone know what Library/CallNumber/ is?
04:02 eythian it's causing tests to fail on master
04:03 eythian (referenced by C4::Labels)
04:05 * eythian gets to blame gmcharlt for this one :)
04:06 dcook hehe
04:06 dcook I git blamed something the other day and found rangi responsible :o
04:06 dcook Well, for the code that I needed to change
04:06 eythian oh, no
04:06 dcook It was possible the bug was caused by a code change elsewhere
04:06 eythian I get to blame me for not updating the dependency list
04:07 wizzyrea when you have as much code in Koha as those guys do, it'd be more suprising if it *wasn't* them
04:07 cjh dcook: impossible, rangi cant do evil.
04:07 dcook I'm with cjh on this one ;)
04:13 eythian > unknown package for Library::CallNumber::LC
04:13 cjh ooooohhhhh
04:13 eythian I think I'll wait until next week before fixing that :/
04:13 cjh mamamama
04:14 wizzyrea liblibrary-callnumber-lc-perl or somesuch?
04:15 wizzyrea i am sure that I installed it
04:15 dcook Alas, doesn't sound familiar to me
04:48 mtompset Have a great day (24 hour period), everyone.
05:09 drnoe joined #koha
05:12 dcook "This version of Koha is the 4rd in the 2.0 "stable" series."
05:45 dcook night all
05:45 wahanui goodnight dcook. You'll be back.
05:46 dcook Perhaps tomorrow afternoon, wahanui
05:46 wahanui dcook: what?
05:46 dcook You heard me :p
05:52 drnoe joined #koha
05:54 cait joined #koha
05:54 cait good moring #koha
05:55 * magnuse waves
05:58 drnoe joined #koha
06:02 kathryn joined #koha
06:05 christophe_c joined #koha
06:06 christophe_c hello #koha
06:08 laurence joined #koha
06:08 cait hi chris
06:08 cait hi  christophe_c
06:08 christophe_c bonjour cait ;-)
06:24 drnoe joined #koha
06:28 magnuse bonjour christophe_c
06:29 christophe_c bonjour magnuse
06:29 christophe_c ;-)
06:34 bigbrovar joined #koha
06:38 reiveune joined #koha
06:38 reiveune hello
06:39 drnoe joined #koha
06:44 asaurat joined #koha
06:44 magnuse @wunder marseille
06:44 huginn magnuse: The current temperature in Marseille, France is 19.0°C (8:30 AM CEST on June 14, 2013). Conditions: Clear. Humidity: 68%. Dew Point: 13.0°C. Pressure: 30.01 in 1016 hPa (Steady).
06:44 magnuse @wunder boo
06:44 huginn magnuse: The current temperature in Bodo, Norway is 13.0°C (8:20 AM CEST on June 14, 2013). Conditions: Mostly Cloudy. Humidity: 77%. Dew Point: 9.0°C. Pressure: 29.44 in 997 hPa (Falling).
06:45 asaurat left #koha
06:45 asaurat joined #koha
06:45 asaurat hi!
06:48 cait hi asaurat :)
06:48 cait bbiab
06:57 Joubu joined #koha
06:59 Joubu hello #koha
07:06 lds joined #koha
07:09 sophie_m joined #koha
07:09 gaetan_B joined #koha
07:10 gaetan_B hello
07:17 drnoe joined #koha
07:26 paul_p joined #koha
07:46 sophie_m joined #koha
08:04 gerundio joined #koha
08:07 gaetan_B joined #koha
08:13 drnoe joined #koha
08:15 paul_p joined #koha
08:44 marcelr joined #koha
08:45 marcelr goedemorgen #koha
08:47 marcelr Joubu++ for QAing 10256 and many others
08:50 Joubu marcelr: thanks!
09:11 kf joined #koha
09:13 marcelr hi kf
09:13 kf hi marcelr
09:14 marcelr problems with water over there?
09:17 kf not here, but some parts of germany...
09:21 marcelr you are lucky
09:45 kf yeah, it's really bad in some places :(
09:54 thd-away joined #koha
10:46 NateC joined #koha
10:53 bigbrovar_ joined #koha
10:58 drnoe joined #koha
11:13 kf @later tell tcohen - was wondering when the update on pootle for the 3.12.1 release is going to happen :)
11:13 huginn kf: The operation succeeded.
11:22 jwagner joined #koha
11:32 nengard joined #koha
11:35 drnoe joined #koha
11:38 libsysguy joined #koha
11:49 tcohen joined #koha
12:00 kf hi tcohen :)
12:00 tcohen hi kf
12:00 tcohen its going to happen on sunday
12:00 kf oooh
12:00 kf ok
12:00 kf sorry, still trying to catch up, I confused things
12:01 tcohen i'll talk to bgkriegel
12:01 kf cool
12:01 tcohen we could pull the po's more often too
12:01 kf hope the new pootle will behave :)
12:01 kf and give him no trouble
12:01 tcohen did u see it?
12:01 kf i didn't work with it yet, just took a quick look around
12:01 libsysguy you know, out of all the irc channels I have started to lurk in since I started at cPanel, you guys are still by far the nicest
12:01 kf not really lots of time for play right now
12:02 kf aaaw
12:02 kf told ya you will end up missing us ;)
12:02 libsysguy :p
12:02 libsysguy well I was thinking about it last night, every new person that comes in asking the same questions we have all heard a million times gets a nice answer
12:02 libsysguy instead of: "HERE ARE THE DOCS, GET OUT"
12:03 kf wow
12:03 kf and others do that?
12:03 libsysguy well, maybe not that loudly
12:03 libsysguy but that is the general message
12:03 kf maybe it's what rangi once said
12:04 kf mix of developers and librarians
12:05 kf and something about passive tense in nz english or so
12:05 kf *shrug*
12:06 libsysguy heh
12:06 libsysguy yeah I think developers can be slightly more abrasive than librarians
12:13 tcohen bbs
12:19 drnoe joined #koha
12:20 drnoe left #koha
12:21 drnoe joined #koha
12:24 edveal joined #koha
12:24 tater left #koha
12:47 kf hey kh
12:47 kf kh
12:47 kf khall
12:47 kf hm. bad autocomplete
12:47 kf i was just looking at 10237 - did you see my comment?
12:51 tcohen joined #koha
12:52 magnuse jcamins: you missed something on bug 10240?
12:52 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10240 new feature, P5 - low, ---, jcamins, Needs Signoff , Offline circulation using HTML5 and IndexedDB
12:57 tcohen have you been at #bash libsysguy? that's being left alone in the cold
12:57 jcamins magnuse: yeah, when I checked out the patch on a new system, the permissions were wrong.
12:57 jcamins magnuse: oddly the permissions were right even when changing branches on my regular development system.
13:00 magnuse hehe, interesting :-)
13:00 magnuse mysql-- for making me choose between fulltext indexing or foreign keys
13:01 magnuse @karma mysql
13:01 huginn magnuse: Karma for "mysql" has been increased 1 time and decreased 1 time for a total karma of 0.
13:02 libsysguy #bash tcohen ?
13:02 Dani joined #koha
13:03 tcohen the irc channel for the bash project
13:03 libsysguy heh no I guess I don't really lurk there
13:04 libsysguy the #dbix-class guys are nice
13:04 libsysguy actually #koha is the only channel I hang out in for
13:05 libsysguy there are a few in
13:05 * tcohen heads to the networking people to open in the firewall
13:06 libsysguy heh
13:06 tcohen heh
13:07 tcohen joined #koha
13:08 libsysguy bah map reducing functions are so confusing
13:09 drojf joined #koha
13:10 Callender joined #koha
13:12 druthb o/
13:12 libsysguy \o
13:13 libsysguy cPanel storms the channel :p
13:13 * druthb paints one wall orange, aNd cApitalizes tHe sEcond lEtter oF hEr wOrds.
13:14 * libsysguy doesn't know how the 2nd floor people write their code, but its not how he does it on 5
13:14 libsysguy :p
13:15 * druthb notes, apropos of nothing whatever, that 2nd floor code is seen all over the world.  5th floor code is internal stuff, not revenue-generating.
13:15 druthb :P
13:16 libsysguy nu uh…all the customers use our system(s) :p
13:16 libsysguy the ticketing system
13:16 druthb :P
13:17 druthb We better hush, libsysguy.  kf will smack us down in a minute.
13:17 libsysguy eek
13:17 * libsysguy apologies to kf
13:18 * libsysguy offers cookies
13:19 * tcohen thinks these cPanel folks are really noisy
13:19 tcohen :-P :-P
13:20 libsysguy eek, we better run druthb before we get ban hammered
13:20 druthb eep!
13:20 * druthb checks, and tcohen's banhammer is one of those big inflatable ones from the festival.  No worries.
13:22 tcohen heh
13:22 libsysguy I guess they could enable voice in channel and mute us
13:22 talljoy joined #koha
13:22 libsysguy that would be so sad
13:22 * druthb would be very sad.
13:26 tcohen oleonard, what are the plans for jquery-ui and bootstrap?
13:26 tcohen (i mean in koha of course)
13:32 maximep joined #koha
13:33 jcamins World domination! Bahahaha!
13:35 tcohen jcamins, do u know the answer?
13:36 libsysguy Angular > jQuery ?
13:40 kf libsysguy: ?
13:40 kf and now, i am not going to do anything about you cpanel folks
13:40 kf I want yo to see how nice things are on the light side ;)
13:42 * druthb paints another wall orange.
13:54 jcamins tcohen: I do not.
13:54 * jcamins heads into the city.k
13:54 jcamins s/k$//
14:01 gmcharlt @quote random
14:01 huginn gmcharlt: Quote #68: "gmcharlt: which probably means that library schools ought to rename Cataloging 101 to Identification and Avoidance of Rabbit Holes 101" (added by wizzyrea_laptop at 08:17 PM, March 10, 2010)
14:08 rambutan joined #koha
14:36 druthb @quote random
14:36 huginn druthb: Quote #31: "<@gmcharlt> but hacking Koha *should* be a restful part of any vacation ;)" (added by chris at 11:31 PM, September 02, 2009)
14:38 gmcharlt from huginn to oleonard's ears! ;)
14:50 kf hm just found the qa/language mails
14:50 kf not sure but i think it would be really hard to get them into po files
14:50 kf because you can#t know which parts are to be translated
14:50 kf from the sql
14:50 kf and we have line breaks and things in there (notices especially) that pootle can#t deal with correctly
14:53 mveron joined #koha
14:58 * kf starts writing an email
14:58 kf hi mveron :)
14:58 huginn New commit(s) kohagit: Bug 10443: DBRev - make sure borrower_files exists <[…]1a728942e31083ad4> / Bug 10443: (follow-up) make sure borrower_files has FK constraint <[…]18e40170f6681e397> / Bug 10443 - Table borrower_files does not exists in kohastructure.sql file <http
14:58 mveron hi kf :-)
14:59 mveron I had finally some time to do a bug: bug 5894
14:59 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=5894 normal, P5 - low, ---, veron, Needs Signoff , Adding multiple items from a cart to a list shows only the first title
14:59 gmcharlt kf: well, one approach would be to not try to parse the SQL to extract strings, but write something that loads the English into a database, then goes through the relevant tables to create a text file in a structured format for which a pot-generator could be written
14:59 gmcharlt the line breaks might be a harder problem, though
15:04 pianohacker joined #koha
15:06 kf gmcharlt: trying to sum my thoughts up in a mail... hope i make sense
15:06 kf not sure i understand how you want to do it :(
15:06 kf i think anyway we would have to define somewhere which colums should be translated
15:07 gmcharlt kf: yeah - I should mention that my email elides a lot of technical details that would have to be sorted out
15:08 mcooper joined #koha
15:08 huginn New commit(s) kohagit: Bug 10458: t/Z3950.t should be removed too <[…]028afebd3eb5b5dd8> / Bug 10458: Remove obsolete Z3950 module and test <[…]64d22e93d39b65461>
15:10 tcohen joined #koha
15:14 tcohen joined #koha
15:20 huginn New commit(s) kohagit: Bug 10315 - Use easier readable font for generated passwords <[…]b0c7459516e6e023c> / Bug 10444: Fix prevent the default action on click <[…]0f23ce2d539476d1a> / Bug 10444 - (CCSR followup) In advanced search(more), [+] and [-] should behave like... <http://g
15:30 christophe_c left #koha
15:34 kf bye all
15:34 kf left #koha
15:36 Joubu pfiou, end of my QA day, I did not clear out patches pending QA as many as I would have wanted...
15:36 Joubu have a good week-end #koha!
15:39 jcamins Oh, drat. I wanted to ask kf something.
15:42 huginn New commit(s) kohagit: Bug 10425: tweaks to text of help for local use system preference <[…]8331c7cfe8aa178a7> / Bug 10425 - Help page missing for Local Use preferences <[…]e9d0f3617c34ba325>
15:42 asaurat left #koha
15:43 * druthb sets the watch for cait.
15:46 rambutan joined #koha
15:53 mveron by all
15:55 * jcamins tries the new LC catalog...
15:56 jcamins They sure didn't worry much about usability.
15:56 jcamins It looks like the site search.
15:57 druthb You mean, the new skin on their ancient Voyager catalog?    Lipstick on a pig….  and not a good shade of it, at that.
15:58 jcamins druthb: tha's the one.
15:59 jcamins I like their links.
15:59 druthb erm.  A book I know they should have, I can't locate, by partial title, full title, author, or ISBN.  Teh Fail.
16:01 jcamins Quicktime? Why does their catalog need Quicktime?
16:01 druthb Ah-hah.  The automagic limit to "Available Online" was the bugaboo.  Found a catalog record for it. by author.
16:03 melia joined #koha
16:05 tcohen jcamins, do we use <button> somewhere instead of <input type=submit?
16:06 jcamins tcohen: for JS/non-submit buttons, I think so, yes.
16:07 tcohen i've been playing around with ways of making the search box scale better on the staff interface
16:08 bigbrovar__ joined #koha
16:10 gaetan_B bye !
16:14 jcamins khall: yeah, styling with absolute- or fixed- positioned divs at the top of the page has extra gotchas.
16:16 jcamins (re: bug 8884)
16:16 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=8884 major, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, Passed QA , opacheader is not in the header on CCSR
16:26 khall jcamins: excellent!
16:27 jcamins Not, of course, that you can tell in that example, since everything that had been in the fixed bar at the top is now hidden.
16:28 khall true, but that's pretty slick looking opac
16:29 jcamins Thanks.
16:29 libsysguy jcamins you need to un-round those corners
16:29 libsysguy flat UI is in man
16:29 khall heh, so true
16:29 jcamins libsysguy: yeah, yeah, yeah.
16:30 khall all the shiny has gone by the wayside
16:30 jcamins Do I look like I'm going to be running Windows 8 on any of my computers?
16:30 libsysguy I have a UI meeting in 2 hours to decide the future of the web, I'll let you know how it goes :p
16:30 khall I think all the hipsters are switching to gopher
16:30 jcamins khall: you saw that tdwtf article too?
16:31 khall can't say I have
16:31 jcamins Oh, I thought that's what the gopher reference was about:[…]OPA-Movement.aspx
16:32 khall lol!
16:32 rambutan joined #koha
16:33 libsysguy it looks like bootstrap 3 will go flat as well
16:47 laurence left #koha
17:02 cait joined #koha
17:03 jcamins cait! I have a question for you: is using 752 only for place of publication standard in German practice?
17:05 cait jcamins: no idea
17:05 cait context?
17:07 jcamins cait: the wiki page in German on cataloging antiquarian books creates a new authority type for DRUCK_ORT and links 752 to it.
17:07 cait oh
17:08 cait i don't know i think he used some documentation that i don't know
17:08 cait i think maybe from switzerland
17:08 jcamins It's Czech.
17:08 cait i have seen the wii page but didn't get around to show it to our marc21 expert
17:08 cait ah
17:08 cait so right now i have not much idea about it - sorry :(
17:10 cait 752 sounds a bit unusual tho
17:10 jcamins cait: 752 is a logical place to put a place of publication, but it's also a logical place to put other things.
17:11 jcamins Which is why I was curious.
17:12 cait i will give you an update when i got around to take a look :)
17:12 jcamins Thanks.
17:59 tcohen @seen oleonard
17:59 huginn tcohen: oleonard was last seen in #koha 22 hours, 16 minutes, and 49 seconds ago: <oleonard> Quick trip into right before quitting time? Never a good idea.
18:00 jcamins tcohen: oleonard is on vacation for the next week or two, I think.
18:00 tcohen so you're my ui guru now :-P
18:01 * jcamins hides.
18:03 tcohen it's kind of fun actually, I need someone to take a look at a patch
18:03 tcohen :-P
18:05 smeagol joined #koha
18:05 mtompset joined #koha
18:06 mtompset Greetings, #koha.
18:07 tcohen hi mtompset
18:07 mtompset I had a thought while pondering my problem.
18:07 mtompset Can you run the upgrade a database concurrently multiple times?
18:07 smeagol Hi all, I've been getting this error from my SIP server recently, and can't figure out why. My institution id has worked before..very puzzling. "Jun  6 06:09:44 mtplbywaterkoha koha_sip[444]: Successful login/auth for 'sip user' of 'mid' Jun  6 06:09:44 mtplbywaterkoha koha_sip[444]: login_core: $VAR1 = 'ILS'; Jun  6 06:09:45 mtplbywaterkoha koha_sip[444]: Sip::Configuration::Service=HA SH(0x251ce70): Loading ILS implementation 'ILS' for institution 'mid' f
18:08 jcamins mtompset: you can, if you want to mess things up.
18:09 cait smeagol: possible soeone deleted or changed your sip user?
18:10 cait it's a wild guess, but if you didn't change something in your xml config file as it worked before... it might be something inside koha that has changed
18:11 mtompset jcamins: I understand, but is there a nice way to prevent that scenario from being possible?
18:12 jcamins mtompset: Use packages.
18:13 mtompset How does that prevent someone from intentionally being stupid?
18:14 jcamins The packages run the update for you.
18:15 jcamins However, protecting people from intentionally doing things they already know they shouldn't (and have to go out of their way to do) is not really a high priority to my mind.
18:15 mtompset Could another staffer try to access the staff client before the upgrade is finished and trigger a secondary upgrade?
18:16 mtompset This is all, thankfully, hypothetical.
18:16 gmcharlt mtompset: have you actually run into a situation where multiple runs took place?
18:16 gmcharlt ah, I see
18:16 jcamins mtompset: not unless you have trained your staffers badly.
18:17 jcamins The staffers should not be using the database login.
18:17 jcamins Period.
18:17 mtompset And that is the only log in that can do an upgrade?
18:17 jcamins There is even a message informing them of that fact when they log in with it.
18:17 jcamins Yes.
18:18 mtompset Okay... then I suppose I can release my worries of stupidness happening. :)
18:19 jcamins I figure if someone has to go out of their way to break things, as developer it ceases to be my problem.
18:20 jcamins You can damage your car by driving the the parking brake fully engaged, but for a very long time (if not still), car maker still made cars in which that was possible.
18:20 jcamins *with the parking brake
18:26 huginn New commit(s) kohagit: Bug 10418 - Correct template markup problems on course reserves add item page <[…]6ce8f9afb5a09834c> / Bug 10416 - Correct template markup problems on course detail page <[…]d5bc27a6a8c3d88ad>
18:29 libsysguy joined #koha
18:30 mtompset because my concern was trying to figure out how to create my table on the fly. If I just create it at upgrade with the last calculated value, then all the problems become nice.
18:32 * druthb waves to mtompset.
18:34 mtompset Greetings, druthb. You were silent, so I didn't know you were there. :)
18:34 mtompset Greetings, tcohen jcamins gmcharlt smeagol also. :)
18:34 tcohen hi mtompset
18:34 gmcharlt howdy mtompset
18:34 mtompset Greetings, libsysguy. You just snuck in. :P
18:35 libsysguy I sure did
18:35 libsysguy I had to switch access points when I went downstairs
18:35 libsysguy now I'm awaiting the next meeting…wo
18:40 jcamins libsysguy: so what's the future of web design?
18:41 libsysguy its being discussed at this very moment
18:45 jcamins libsysguy: wait... why are you discussing the future of web design? I thought cPanel's strength was that its functionality so far outshadowed the design that no one cared about the latter.
18:47 * druthb wields pointy stick.
18:48 libsysguy bbiab
18:48 * druthb is sneaky, mtompset, and wields a stick.  Beware her wrath.
18:49 tcohen bug 10471
18:49 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10471 minor, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, Needs Signoff , Global search input box and button geometry not always consistent (browsers, translations)
18:54 sophie_m joined #koha
18:58 tcohen ok, leaving
18:58 tcohen have a nice weekend #koha!!
18:58 cait you too tcohen )
18:59 smeagol greeting mtompset, druthb, cubby. and all
19:00 cait hi smeagol
19:00 cait did you see my note earlier?
19:01 libsysguy joined #koha
19:03 pug joined #koha
19:04 smeagol hi cait
19:06 smeagol Yes, cait, it's not the sipuser being deleted. It's something else, but thanks.
19:06 cait k
19:32 mtompset Oh shoot! The time goes by so fast!
19:32 mtompset Greetings, cait.
19:34 mtompset OH.SO.COOL! Reading code really does teach you stuff. :)
19:34 mtompset TableExists in
19:35 mtompset You can change the RaiseError and PrintError on the fly.
19:35 libsysguy joined #koha
19:37 jcamins Yes you can. What are you doing where you need to do that?
19:37 * druthb wonders if libsysguy solved all the world's problems in that meeting.
19:38 libsysguy I'll have to tell you about that meeting later
19:38 libsysguy holy cow
19:38 mtompset Nothing yet, but I would like it use it, if I can keep silent warnings out of the "errors" log files. :)
19:39 jcamins mtompset: they're not silent if they're appearing in the log files.
19:39 jcamins And why are you anticipating errors?
19:40 mtompset There are always warnings and errors. Always. They are out to get us. :P
19:41 jcamins Right, but unless you have a very good reason to think that there will be a warning, you shouldn't mess with the settings.
19:41 mtompset And I won't, unless there is a reason.
19:41 jcamins Good.
19:41 mtompset But it is useful thing to know if I suddenly find my log file flooding with something that could be fixed with that kind of tweak.
19:41 * jcamins uses DEBUG, and would not take kindly to code that eliminated that functionality.
19:42 mtompset you can clause it to if not DEBUG. :P
19:48 * mtompset waits for his database to reset to some old data.
20:00 pianohacker Hmm. Hey #koha. What are your thoughts of a version of C4::Context->preference that die()s if the preference is unset, for contexts where a friendly message is impossible or doesn't make sense?
20:00 pianohacker In cronjobs, for instance
20:02 jcamins I question the utility. Many preferences can be unset, and the ones that can't may not be universally required, so I think the caller needs to handle that logic.
20:03 jcamins It would be easy enough to add a hashref argument to C4::Context->preference if there are enough instances you can think of it being useful, though, of course.
20:04 paul_p joined #koha
20:04 pianohacker jcamins: True, this wouldn't be used too often. Things like OPACBaseURL were the intended target; preferences that in some usage patterns can be unset, but other times will break functionality if missing
20:05 pianohacker jcamins: Also, out of curiosity, by hashref argument, did you mean something like C4::Context->preference( 'blahblahblah', required => 1 ) ?
20:05 jcamins I think probably a specific error message would be more useful than a C4::Context-level generic die.
20:06 jcamins I was thinking C4::Context->preference('blahblahblah', { 'required' => 1 }), so that we don't pass the hash on the stack.
20:07 pianohacker jcamins: True on the error message part. As a general Perl question, though, is passing a hash that small a performance issue?
20:07 jcamins Not really for one that small, but you never know when you're going to end up making it larger, so we just have a blanket hashref/arrayref policy.
20:08 pianohacker Interesting. Makes sense from a pointer perspective, but never heard that before
20:08 jcamins coding guidelines?
20:08 wahanui coding guidelines are[…]Coding_Guidelines
20:09 jcamins PERL16:[…]used_as_arguments
20:10 pianohacker kk
20:11 jcamins And... PBP Chapter 9 "Named Arguments."
20:14 * mtompset wakes up on mention of "OPACBaseURL".
20:15 pianohacker I normally wake up on mention of coffee, but to each their own
20:15 mtompset No, it's just that OPACBaseURL is very much not required unless you are planning to do something like... oh, the patch that I'm working on. :P
20:16 pianohacker mtompset: and, actually, the patch that I'm working on :)
20:17 mtompset what are you working on?
20:18 pianohacker external target search in the OPAC using pazpar2
20:18 mtompset Ah.
20:19 pianohacker you still battling saml?
20:20 * jcamins has been avoiding the need for OPACBaseURL with complex web server contortions.
20:21 pianohacker jcamins: ... what horrible things have you done to your httpd.conf?
20:22 jcamins pianohacker: actually, not that much. I use a single Plack application for both intranet and OPAC and rewrite the OPAC URLs in nginx, which means that the OPAC is accessible on /cgi-bin/koha/opac/ from the staff client.
20:23 pianohacker ...
20:23 pianohacker umm.
20:23 pianohacker I guess that's possible
20:23 jcamins Yeah, and that way I don't have to figure out how to do XSS.
20:23 pianohacker <shiver>
20:24 pianohacker How significant are the speed gains from Plack, and do they outweigh the occasional breakage?
20:24 jcamins The speed gains are at least a factor of ten.
20:24 jcamins At least on lower-end hardware. I'm not sure I'll see such a big difference in production.
20:24 jcamins The OPAC has very little breakage, so I'm thinking of putting Plack on the OPAC in production this summer.
20:25 pianohacker wow. Loading up a script that runs a couple SQL calls and does no template rendering takes ~750 ms on my machine. Could that seriously reduce it to around 100?
20:25 jcamins Let's see...
20:27 jcamins hm.
20:27 jcamins Hard to say.
20:27 jcamins It depends what's taking time.
20:27 pianohacker what's your preferred CGI profiling setup?
20:27 jcamins I use NYTProf.
20:28 pianohacker which requires setting all of the necessary CGI environment variables then running it from the command line, correct?
20:29 jcamins Nah, it just requires that you not do anything recursive.
20:29 pianohacker crap, no fibbonaci heaps in this patch. ah well
20:29 jcamins Set the require environment variables and copy out the NYTProf file before you get a zillion.
20:29 jcamins No, not in terms of programming.
20:29 jcamins In terms of page requests.
20:30 jcamins Something with lots of AJAX can leave you with no idea what profile you have.
20:30 pianohacker ahhhh, okay
20:30 jcamins And rendering them is slow.
20:31 pianohacker that'll make it hard to test my stuff, then. I use AJAX a lot ;)
20:31 jcamins There are ways to deal with it, I'm sure, I just never learned them.
20:31 jcamins And then I left CGI behind.
20:31 jcamins And it was glorious.
20:32 pianohacker and went on to a more confusing but faster set of errors
20:32 jcamins pianohacker: actually, I was referring to the package which automatically takes are of NYTProf profiling for you.
20:33 jcamins *takes care
20:33 pianohacker oh! nice. what is that?
20:34 jcamins Plack::Debug::NYTProf or something like that.
20:34 jcamins plack?
20:34 wahanui Plack is a FastCGI thingy that works with Koha. See for more information.
20:34 jcamins ^^ it's commented out in at least one of the recommended configurations.
20:34 pianohacker jcamins++
20:34 pianohacker That sounds quite handy
21:25 mtompset Sorry for the slow reply. Yes, still working on SAML... It is almost alpha ready. :)
21:27 mtompset Have a great day (24 hour period), everyone. :)
21:33 drnoe_away left #koha
21:38 nengard left #koha
21:55 huginn New commit(s) kohagit: Bug 10245: add CSS classes to OPAC detail items table header <[…]cd698021c0bf14e90>
21:57 rambutan joined #koha
22:18 maximep left #koha
22:44 dani left #koha
23:31 gmcharlt dcook++
23:39 mcooper joined #koha
23:41 huginn New commit(s) kohagit: Bug 10466: fix glitch in OPAC display of titles saved to list <[…]ec386e80b03fe0130>
23:41 NateC joined #koha
23:58 tcohen joined #koha

| Channels | #koha index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | plain, newest first | summary