IRC log for #koha, 2013-05-15

All times shown according to UTC.

Time S Nick Message
00:00 dcook Hmm. Knew it was a big party, but didn't know it was particularly in regards to Québecois nationalism...
00:00 dcook I might not be that welcome in that case :p
00:12 gml hi, anyone could help me with a zebra and authorities issue plz?
00:28 trea anyone around to answer questions about z39.50 search fields?
00:29 dcook trea: Possibly. Depends on the question :p
00:29 trea raw (any) - what does this refer to in the search window?
00:29 dcook 1=1016
00:29 * trea doesn't understand the answer.
00:30 dcook Fair enough. I'm trying to think of how to rephrase it
00:30 trea where's deep thought when i need him
00:30 dcook So 1016 is the Bib-1 attribute (found in bib1.attr), which is linked up with the label "Any" in, I believe
00:31 dcook In terms of the marc fields included in this Any index...records.abs might say...
00:31 * dcook takes a quick peek
00:31 dcook Although only for GRS-1 indexing, I think
00:31 trea so for dom it doesn't apply
00:35 dcook Not sure
00:35 dcook I'll be back with you in a sec
00:35 dcook Just on the phone :)
00:39 dcook biblio-koha-indexdefs.xml looks like records.abs equivalent
00:40 dcook biblio-zebra-indexdefs.xsl references the Any index
00:41 dcook I haven't done much with DOM indexing, but it looks like every text node goes into the Any index
00:42 dcook Any yeah, in (around lines 60-61), you'll see that "Any" and "kw" are linked with 1=1016 (the bib-1 attribute)
00:42 dcook trea: Does that clarify things at all? lol. I can try to explain further if it doesn't
00:55 bag yeah but remember these are search terms in the z3950 to search other sites - not your own koha
00:55 bag the words on this page….
00:55 bag[…]e283171c4;hb=HEAD
00:56 dcook Mmm, I thought the question was about searching Koha
00:56 bag raw (any) sounds like it should be search 101 attribute number
00:56 dcook As for remote z3950's always going to depend on how they index
00:56 bag not 101 1016
00:57 bag my 6 key is sticky for some reason
00:57 dcook ?
00:57 dcook Ah
00:57 dcook Yeah, raw (any) is totally 1016
00:57 bag ok what's the 1016 attribute in record.abs?
00:57 * dcook has turned inside and out
00:57 bag do you have that handy
00:57 dcook I do have that handy
00:57 dcook "all any"
00:57 dcook :p
00:58 bag damn same here :P
00:58 bag
00:58 bag alright so basically that's our broad broad keyword search
00:58 dcook Yeah, that site is pretty good.
00:58 bag anything that is indexed in any we appear here
00:58 dcook provides more detail
00:59 dcook The record is selected if there
00:59 dcook exists a Use attribute that the
00:59 dcook target supports (and considers
00:59 dcook appropriate - see note 1) such
00:59 dcook that the record would be
00:59 dcook selected if the target were to
00:59 dcook substitute that attribute.
01:00 bag so ANY basically is anything that that Z3950 site is indexing into the ANY index - will return in the raw (any) field
01:00 dcook Yup
01:00 dcook But it's not 100% certain what that is
01:00 bag yeah I wrote that for trea _lunching's benefit :P
01:01 bag welcome back talljoy
01:01 tcohen any spanish speaker around?
01:01 talljoy thanks bag.
01:01 dcook According to this bib-1 spec, it seems possible that only access points would be indexed in Any
01:01 dcook But whether access points is a generic term or is a aacr2/rda term isn't entirely clear..
01:01 bag how was Pythagoras talljoy
01:02 talljoy he was awesome.  check out the picture on facebook
01:02 bag yeah I like my lame def dcook :)
01:02 bag yeah I saw it talljoy and liked it :)  and shared it with Sonja
01:02 talljoy ha!
01:10 dcook bag: The following link exlains "all any" in records.abs[…]ng_Zebra_indexing
01:10 dcook explains*
01:11 dcook In Koha, "all any" seems to basically be a word (rather than phrase) index that includes all the other indexes
01:11 dcook Well, all the other word indexes
01:11 dcook So for grs-1, "any" doesn't include every element from the record
01:11 dcook Rather, just every indexed element
01:11 dcook Whereas with Dom indexing, "any" literally includes every text node from the record
01:11 dcook So every element
01:12 dcook But, again, with remote really depends on how they index things.
01:13 dcook Reading LoC's bib-1 spec again...the grs-1 method isn't that bizarre. The idea is that "Any" should be important fields, whereas "Anywhere" should be absolutely every element in a record
01:14 dcook Hmm. Cool.
01:15 * dcook listens to more space music and tries to figure out why tcpdf's examples only work if you clear the output buffer first...
01:16 dcook AHHH
01:16 dcook So obviouis
01:16 dcook obvious*
01:16 edveal joined #koha
01:16 dcook My debugging messages were causing TCPDF to fail...durr
01:17 * dcook waves to druthb
01:17 * druthb waves to dcook
01:19 eythian <-- wow
01:20 mtompset Greetings, dcook druthb talljoy bag tcohen trea eythian and whoever else I missed. :)
01:20 tcohen hi mtompset
01:21 talljoy hi mtompset
01:21 dcook hey ya mtompset
01:22 druthb hi, mtompset! :)
01:22 dcook eythian: Whoa...
01:22 talljoy hi druthb!!!
01:23 druthb hi, talljoy! :D
01:23 talljoy how's life in houston?
01:26 dcook eythian: That's really quite amazing
01:26 eythian it is a bit
01:30 mtompset Wow is right. Is it doctored?
01:30 gml since when you people became so arrogant? is this now a private club?
01:31 dcook O_o
01:31 rangi wtf was that about?
01:31 eythian no one was answering his question I think.
01:31 eythian Probably because no one knew the answer.
01:32 rangi oh
01:32 cjh or the question.
01:32 wahanui the question is "What is the meaning of life, the universe and everything?"
01:32 rangi ah yeah he didnt actually ask a question
01:32 cjh 42
01:32 eythian <gml> After testing authorities query (, there are some entries which cannot be found in web GUI. how can I correct this?
01:33 rangi ahh, didnt even see that
01:33 dcook Huh, I think that was before I got there
01:33 cjh I only saw his most recent question, that makes more sense.
01:33 rangi yeah
01:33 dcook <gml> hi, anyone could help me with a zebra and authorities issue plz?
01:33 rangi yeah
01:33 talljoy i think he asked at the witching hour between 'koha shifts'  :-)
01:33 cjh heh
01:33 rangi entitlement much?
01:33 talljoy between when california drops off and NZ kicks in
01:34 dcook rangi: Indeed
01:34 cjh either way, getting angry isn't going to solve the problem.
01:34 rangi that may be our first ragequit
01:35 dcook In hindsight, I did see the question, but was a bit too busy at that moment to engage
01:35 dcook Tcpdf errors and all..
01:35 rangi i still dont know the answer
01:35 dcook I don't even really understand the question
01:35 rangi or actually i dont understand the question
01:35 rangi that
01:36 dcook Nor do I feel obligated to pry out a question from someone who asks a vague question and then disappears before the ragequit
01:43 mtompset Well, he did ask 3 times over 3-4 hours.
01:43 mtompset druthb answered part of his mibbit issues.
01:43 eythian wahanui: mean is <reply>[…]1r0tcyxo2_250.gif
01:43 wahanui OK, eythian.
01:43 mtompset and the other two times, well, others came along asked a question, and it looked like his was ignored.
01:44 trea i've asked plenty of questions in #koha, and been met with only crickets.
01:44 trea i never took it personally
01:44 rangi i guess we are more used to irc is the problem
01:44 mtompset Yes, you have to have a thick skin sometimes. ;)
01:45 rangi not so much a thick skin
01:45 rangi realistic expectations of what a bunch of volunteers who may or may not actually be at the computers can offer you
01:45 mtompset well, not take things personally.
01:45 * trea is still waiting for his private club card.
01:45 trea :P
01:45 rangi i do think a lot of users think we get paid to be here or something
01:46 eythian trea: you didn't get your card?
01:46 eythian Ooh, this is awkward
01:46 trea D:
01:46 dcook rangi: true as
01:46 mtompset That would be an example of an unrealistic expectation, rangi.
01:47 dcook Admittedly, I responded to trea's question, but that's because I've been doing a lot with z39.50 lately and I did say I was only around depending on the question :p
01:47 dcook Which was quite straightforward
01:48 jcamins dcook: you were close, but not quite there with all any. :)
01:48 dcook Darn!
01:48 trea heh
01:49 dcook I was wondering if you were lurking for that one ;)
01:49 dcook What did I miss?
01:49 jcamins The "all" command in GRS-1 includes all previously indexed data in the specified index.
01:49 jcamins It is actually orthogonal to AACR2/RDA access points.
01:50 jcamins It's not part of the Bib-1 spec at all.
01:50 trea but again, this is only applicable if you use grs1.
01:51 jcamins Right.
01:51 dcook Yeah, that's what I was saying
01:51 dcook Or thought I was saying, lol
01:51 trea so, in the case of a dom indexed site, it shouldn't be used.
01:51 dcook "Any" is Bib-1, but All is GRS-1
01:51 dcook Well "Any" is Bib-1, I guess "any" is still GRS-1
01:51 jcamins Actually, GRS-1 just isn't case-sensitive.
01:51 * cjh suddenly feels like he is the only human surrounded by martians
01:52 trea welcome to my world
01:52 dcook trea: "Any" is still defined in the DOM XSL -> biblio-zebra-indexdefs.xsl
01:52 dcook I believe
01:52 dcook jcamins: So that "any", it that the ccl "any"?
01:52 jcamins dcook: you may have said that. I just skimmed through the backlog, and your explanation of "all any" made it sound like "all any" was the command, which could lead to you getting confused and ultimately entering a downard spiral of depression and horror as you contemplate the Bib-1 standard.
01:52 dcook Wait, that doesn't make sense
01:53 * jcamins has been there ^^
01:53 dcook Ahh, yeah, there were some frustrated Bib-1 moments last week I believe
01:53 jcamins You start off feeling pretty good.
01:54 jcamins "I can do this," you say. "all any is the key. I can just use that index..." then it goes down-hill.
01:54 dcook hehe
01:54 dcook Yeah, I saw the "all" directive here:
01:54 jcamins The ccl prefixes are actually *another* set of orthogonal mappings.
01:54 trea at the expense of being obtuse...i can or cannot use this field if i have dom indexing enabled.
01:55 jcamins trea: any, yes, all, no.
01:55 dcook trea: Should be all good
01:55 dcook What he said ;)
01:55 dcook But as bag was saying, this only relates to searching Koha
01:55 dcook Searching remote Z39.50 targets is dependent on how they've indexed their data
01:55 trea okay, so in the case of LOC for instance
01:56 jcamins Head's up: they might be down, if you're trying to troubleshoot searches failing.
01:56 wizzyrea AHA
01:56 * wizzyrea tried one earlier and it didn't work and wondered why
01:56 jcamins ... huh.
01:56 dcook trea: According to LoC, they certainly have it set up:
01:57 trea honestly, no. a librarian asked why she should use these fields
01:57 eythian there was someone asking about that on the list wasn't there?
01:57 jcamins The FIVE MILLION messages about the Z39.50 server at LC might actually have been useful.
01:57 trea and shockingly, since it doesn't seem to be covered in the manual, i was just trying to find an answer
01:57 dcook For the big z3950 targets, they publish the lists of the Bib-1 attributes they support (although these aren't always accurate/comprehensive)
01:58 dcook trea: In my opinion, using raw (any) is a really good idea
01:58 dcook Because chances are it's always going to be supported
01:59 dcook While less precise than other fields, it has the potential to capture more relevant records
01:59 dcook Wait, it's precision v. recall
01:59 dcook nix relevant
01:59 dcook Raw (any) gets you more records with less precision. can count on it getting you something.
01:59 dcook So there's the value
02:00 dcook imho ;)
02:00 trea that's what i was looking for
02:00 dcook :)
02:01 trea now, how about the "standard id" field?
02:01 jcamins Well... unless you have a remote that includes less in 1016 than in other fields.
02:01 jcamins No, no, don't thank me.
02:02 jcamins trea: in principle that includes most standard IDs.
02:02 trea what does "ID" mean in this instance.
02:03 jcamins So, ISBN, ISSN, CODEN, LCCN, etc.
02:03 jcamins 035.
02:03 trea okay, that helps
02:03 jcamins Oh! Score numbers.
02:03 dcook Oooo
02:03 jcamins That's where you'd _really_ need iy.
02:03 jcamins *it
02:04 trea okay, jcamins. you mentioned LCCN. There is a field called "LC call number" is this the same as LCCN?
02:04 dcook Generally speaking, if you look at the sub Z39.50search in, you will see the mapping between the z39.50 search form and the bib-1 attributes
02:04 jcamins Library of Congress Control Number.
02:04 dcook You can then use a site like ( to figure out which MARC tags are included in that
02:05 dcook (Although for Koha, you'll need to look at the Zebra config docs...)
02:05 trea LCCN = Library of Congress Control Number ?
02:05 dcook (Which get less scary the more you look at them...which in itself is a different type of fear)
02:05 dcook trea: nope
02:05 dcook Ack
02:05 dcook LCCN = Library of Congress Control Number
02:05 dcook Which is not the same as the LC call number
02:06 trea okay, that at least helps to clarify some of these fields
02:07 dcook The call number is for storing/retrieving physical items on shelves
02:07 wizzyrea patch for the manual!
02:07 dcook The LCCN is an internal number that LoC uses, and which others can use to find books in the LoC catalogue
02:08 dcook Some books have them published on the back of the title page
02:08 dcook Although usually they're just 8 digit numbers which may or may not be separated by a space or hyphen
02:08 dcook The really old ones might only be 7 which case you need to add a 0...I think at the start
02:08 * dcook used to catalogue a lot of old(ish) books. Yes, that (ish) qualification is for you jcamins :p
02:08 dcook wizzyrea!
02:08 wahanui wizzyrea is a fan of selecting hunks for committing.
02:08 jcamins dcook: and sometimes letters.
02:09 * wizzyrea looks towards trea - i'm dang good at it too.
02:09 dcook Really? Xs and such?
02:09 trea <- committed
02:09 dcook hehe
02:09 wizzyrea ^.^
02:09 jcamins No, 'n's and sometimes... 's's?
02:10 jcamins Aaaand... something several letters long.
02:10 jcamins Ah. n/nb/nr/no/sh/sj/sp
02:10 jcamins Wait, wrong table.
02:11 jcamins I'm not keying all these options in.
02:11 jcamins Take my word, there are a lot.
02:11 jcamins[…]cture.html#prefix
02:12 trea and finally, the control number field is the 001?
02:12 jcamins 010
02:13 trea sorry, right. 010
02:14 jcamins And I recommend you not ask about the repeated years when they were using 2-digit numbers. The knowledge that they differentiated the years by starting at a higher serial number is enough to give anyone a headache.
02:14 trea okay, thanks for the elucidation.
02:14 trea jcamins++
02:14 trea dcook++
02:14 trea yeah, i'm going to stop while i'm ahead
02:14 dcook hehe
02:15 dcook Hope I helped and didn't overwhelm. The more I delve into z39.50 and Zebra, the more I'm intrigued.
02:15 * dcook really likes knowing how things work
02:15 eythian dcook: you should also rewrite while you're there.
02:16 * wizzyrea wishes that eythian had busted out the evil laugh
02:16 dcook lol
02:16 eythian heh
02:16 jcamins Yeah! Do it!
02:16 cjh eythian: you need to work on your evil laugh...
02:17 dcook I think jcamins has sufficiently warned me off even attempting that ;)
02:17 dcook Plus, as has been noted, the time and money just aren't there :/
02:17 eythian I just made a typo in vim and discovered a new feature. I like when that happens.
02:17 dcook new feature?
02:17 cjh heh, was it something awesome?
02:18 eythian If I press shift-K it gives me the perldoc for the word under the cursor.
02:18 eythian Probably part of the perl plugin I have installed that I've never really studied.
02:18 dcook Makes sense
02:19 dcook I really liike my vim config at work but not (overly) looking forward to trying to get vim on the Debian box to be similar..
02:19 jcamins dcook: scp workserver:.vimrc ~/.vimrc
02:19 jcamins Done.
02:19 eythian just rsy
02:19 eythian ...that
02:20 cjh dcook: copy ~/.vimrc over?
02:20 cjh eythian: shift-k for me looks for perldoc, but it isnt smart enough to try and find it so it is really just running 'perldoc <word-under-cursor>' :(
02:20 dcook I'm not sure where it lives :/
02:20 dcook I'm seeing lots and none to obviously be mine
02:20 jcamins dcook: ~/.vimrc
02:20 wizzyrea the one in your homedir?
02:21 dcook I don't see one there :S
02:21 cjh the default is usually /etc/vim/vimrc but if you are making changes as your user it should be ~/.vimrc
02:21 wizzyrea it'll be a .dotfile, might be hidden try ls -lah ?
02:21 wizzyrea well it *will* be hidden
02:21 dcook Tried that too wizzyrea :/
02:21 wizzyrea no might.
02:22 eythian also .vim/
02:22 eythian though that might have to be referenced from .vimrc
02:22 eythian but maybe your system-wide config does that for you.
02:22 dcook Hmm, there's one in usr/share
02:22 dcook That might be it..
02:23 dcook It's the one that comes with the suse packaged vim
02:24 jcamins dcook: :scriptnames
02:24 jcamins[…]-is-my-vimrc-file
02:25 dcook /etc/vimrc and lots of /usr/share/ scripts
02:25 cjh you could also use :mkvimrc to write your current settings to a file
02:25 jcamins cjh: ooh, nifty! I didn't know that one!
02:25 * jcamins calls it a night.
02:25 cjh night
02:26 eythian later jcamins
02:26 dcook night, jcamins.
02:26 trea night jcamins. and thanks again.
02:26 dcook I'll ask you more about "all any" next time ;)
02:26 dcook cjh: That looks like the ticket
02:27 cjh that will export all the settings across your rc files, so should be enough to save that and migrate to your new system
02:27 cjh (although your new system may have additional rules in the rc files)
02:27 cjh goodluck :)
02:31 dcook Hmm, that might be enough...
02:31 dcook I'd like to know which one I'm actually using though :/
02:32 cjh define using?
02:32 cjh all of them are being read
02:32 dcook Surely not...that's quite a few!
02:32 dcook Wouldn't it do something like git?
02:32 dcook Where it tries to find one in your home directory, then tries the git repo, then tries the system files?
02:33 cjh :help scriptnames
02:33 cjh > List all sourced script names, in the order they were                               first sourced.
02:33 cjh afaik git does something similar, it uses all your config files but the 'closer' one takes priority.
02:34 dcook Yeah, it does
02:34 dcook And I see now...
02:34 dcook I think...
02:34 dcook I think it is the etc/vimrc
02:35 dcook Yes, that's 100% it
02:36 dcook Thanks cjh :)
02:36 dcook (You too jcamins)
02:36 dcook It is the default that came with the suse vim, so I imagine there might be some sort of conflicts if I try using this, but it's worth a shot
02:37 dcook Trying to edit things atm in Debian is...well...very different
02:37 dcook But once I sort out that audio's onto installing Koha with the deb packages!
02:38 cjh I have a .vim git repo and symlink my ~/.vimrc to ~/.vim/vimrc, and then have a collection of plugins and crazyness inside there :)
02:38 dcook hehe
02:38 dcook I like it!
02:38 dcook I don't know why I didn't start using Linux years ago
02:39 dcook I suppose that near 7 years of full-time (humanities and social science) uni straight was a bit of a barrier..
02:39 cjh my faculty at university is 99% linux/unix :)
02:40 dcook I think only 1% of my past faculties had heard of linux/unix :p
02:41 dcook Well, that's probably not true
02:41 dcook But probably a very low percentage
02:41 cjh our school IT services primarily run windows, but my faculty do their own IT and run linux :)
02:42 dcook Sweet. Do they ever run into issues with students trying to hack the system?
02:42 dcook In retrospect, if I had been more capable when I was in middle school/high school, I wonder if I would've gotten up to no good
02:42 wizzyrea i would think that if they were running windows they'd have more problem with that :
02:42 wizzyrea :/
02:42 dcook As it was, being a slightly above average Windows user, I was able to find things that should've  been hidden..
02:42 cjh I am sure it comes up, but the stuff running it are very competent. Running Linux is no less secure than windows ;)
02:43 wizzyrea and probably a bit more secure.
02:43 dcook So long as the staff are capable, I would think
02:43 wizzyrea as privilege separation is somewhat better enforced.
02:43 dcook If you had staff that were running an  unpatched system, and you had a student that kept on top of things...I'm sure they could learn a few exploits
02:44 dcook Well, maybe I'm not sure, but I imagine
02:44 wizzyrea that's no different for windows
02:44 dcook Hmm, I suppose that's true
02:45 dcook Although I imagine the flaws in Linux are probably publicized more
02:45 wizzyrea the code for linux is open, anyone can look at it.
02:45 dcook So that they might be eliminated sooner
02:45 dcook Right
02:45 cjh linus' law :)
02:48 dcook Intriguing..
02:48 dcook Overall, I believe that having more eyes on the code is definitely a good thing.
02:48 dcook But yeah, like you were saying liz, the same thing could happen with Windows
02:49 eythian I think bugs in windows and linux are publicised about the same.
02:49 dcook eythian: the more I think about it, the more I think you're probably right
02:49 dcook And as for real world implementations, I imagine people running Linux are more likely than their Windows counterparts to be on the ball
02:49 dcook At least statistically
02:49 dcook Not to say that there aren't good Windows sysadmins
02:50 dcook But there are so many organizations who seem to be running outdated MS programs
02:54 wizzyrea and willfully so, it's not even laziness.
03:15 rangi
03:17 wizzyrea ooOOOOOooo
03:17 rangi we could have fun with that for gbsd
03:17 rangi and the like
03:18 mtompset interesting link... I should get to bed.
03:18 mtompset Have a great day, everyone.
04:06 dcook make me want to...grrr
04:08 trea what's up with tcpdf dcook?
04:09 dcook It's not Koha related, but I'm trying to turn webpages into PDFs and when I'm testing...I take out a single image element and then it spits out an error O_o
04:09 dcook Asking me to set the action attribute or some such...
04:09 trea ah
04:09 trea sounds ugly
04:09 dcook Totes
04:11 dcook I think wkhtmltopdf might be a better idea
04:11 dcook I think the idea is that it uses Webkit to render the webpage, and then pdfs it using the same method that modern browsers use
04:14 cjh if you install imagemagick you can just 'convert foo.pdf foo.html' and it will 'just work'
04:14 cjh (although it will often create a foo-0.html)
04:14 wizzyrea dah really?
04:14 cjh it seems to spit out 1 html page per pdf page
04:14 wizzyrea that's pretty awesome
04:15 wizzyrea does it work the other way too?
04:15 cjh yeah, imagemagick is overpowered (although you probably also need ghostscript to handle pdf)
04:16 wizzyrea neat - that's probably why, the first time I tried to use it, i wanted to shoot myself in the face because it wouldn't install
04:16 wizzyrea that was like, ages and ages ago
04:16 ibeardslee could be worth talking to the EEC team here, I think they do a bunch of stuff like that.
04:16 * ibeardslee comes in late to the conversation
04:17 dcook ibreadsless: EEC?
04:17 dcook cjh: I'll look into that! Thanks!
04:19 ibeardslee dcook: probably more aimed at wizzyrea .. didn't follow through with reading the scrollback before leaping in. EEC are a catalyst client.
04:19 dcook Mmm, I gotcha. No worries.
04:19 * wizzyrea was thinking of the Koha manual, actually
04:19 wizzyrea but great tip, ibeardslee
04:20 dcook cjh: The imagemagick folk suggest not using imagemagick for html -> pdf conversion :/
04:20 dcook Hmm, the Koha manual could be quite easy...
04:21 dcook The pages I'm looking at are loaded down with a fair bit of JS and CSS
04:21 dcook And I think that's possibly what's causing the issues
04:21 cjh oh I read it as the other way, thought you were going pdf to html
04:22 cjh html with js is harder.
04:22 dcook Depending on the quality needed, I could try tossing out the Javascript, but that's easier said than done as well.
04:23 dcook Using pdfutil at the moment to extract text from pdfs, which sometimes works. I think the times it doesn't might relate to encryption, but haven't really looked into it.
04:25 cait joined #koha
04:25 cjh afternoon/morning cait
04:25 dcook hey ya cait
04:25 cait hi cjh and dcook
04:25 wizzyrea morning cait
04:29 dcook wizzyrea: Maybe try for PDFing the Koha manual?
04:30 wizzyrea maybe
04:30 wizzyrea dk, don't have a moment to look right this second. :)
04:33 dcook Well, I might try to talk the boss into trying it out, so I'll let you know how it goes down the line ;)
04:38 wizzyrea[…]rticle3761376.ece neat, wellington museum of city and sea is on there
04:38 wizzyrea I just went there :)
04:41 mtj dcook, there are better docbook specific tools to gen pdf from the manual.xml file
04:42 dcook Cool beans :)
04:43 mtj although, wkhtmltopdf might do a good job, too...
04:44 * dcook shrugs
04:44 mtj ah, no - its just html->pdf
04:45 dcook Convenient
04:46 mtj yep, good to know, tho :)
04:47 mtj more info… ->
04:48 dcook Hmm, tcpdf didn't do a terrible job on one page...
04:48 dcook Must not have much JS..
05:05 mtj dcook, fwiw, pandoc and asciidoc both output pdf
05:06 mtj and pandoc reads html
05:08 mtj … and also outputs to asciidoc :)
05:09 mtj so, you could have some success with both of those tools
05:09 dcook Hmm, just glanced at pandoc, sounds promising
05:09 dcook Thanks, mtj :)
05:22 sophie_m joined #koha
05:24 Irma joined #koha
06:10 laurence joined #koha
06:13 wizzyrea joined #koha
06:15 trea joined #koha
06:44 reiveune joined #koha
06:45 reiveune hello
06:45 wahanui niihau, reiveune
06:46 dcook hey ya reiveune :)
06:46 dcook allo trea :)
06:46 alex_a hello !
06:46 cait hi all :) and brb
06:46 cait left #koha
06:46 dcook hey ya alex_a :)
06:46 reiveune salut dcook
06:51 * dcook might've just written a novel to someone explaining why Koha is the best thing since sliced bread...
06:51 dcook I love working on a project that I can be proud to promote ^_^
06:52 lds joined #koha
06:54 * alex_a doesn't like sliced bread ...
06:54 dcook Touché
06:54 dcook Admittedly, I do love unsliced b
06:55 cjh blasphemers!
06:55 dcook Unsliced sourdough? Sooo good
06:55 cjh mmmmhhhhmm
06:55 cjh I mean no!
06:55 dcook hehe
06:55 dcook My favourite part of getting groceries delivered is the fresh loaf of sourdough on my steps every Tuesday morning
07:02 dcook Hmm semantic HTML would be great...
07:03 cjh dcook: have you seen[…]i/Linked_Data_RFC ?
07:06 christophe_c joined #koha
07:06 christophe_c hello #koha
07:06 cjh evening :)
07:10 dcook cjh: Cool beans!
07:10 dcook magnuse++
07:11 dcook I looked a bit at SPARQL a couple years ago, but I still haven't done much with RDF
07:11 dcook LoC looks like it's offering up a lot of its data as RDF though
07:11 dcook I think the only way to download authorities at the moment is as RDF
07:11 dcook I still wonder a bit about URIs in linked data, but...I have to head off
07:12 dcook So night all!
07:12 dcook night cjh :)
07:14 * magnuse hopes to get some funding for a project to work on linked data next year
07:14 gaetan_B joined #koha
07:14 gaetan_B hello
07:14 wahanui salut, gaetan_B
07:17 cjh magnuse: *fingers crossed*
07:18 magnuse cjh: thanks :-)
07:20 kf joined #koha
07:20 huginn GERMS!!!!
07:20 wahanui Germs originated in Germany, before rapidly spreading throughout the rest of the world.
07:20 kf good morning #koha
07:20 cjh evening kf :)
07:21 kf hi again cjh :)
07:22 magnuse guten morgen kf and gaetan_B
07:23 gaetan_B 'morgen magnuse :)
07:27 kf hi magnuse
07:27 magnuse :-)
07:50 Viktor joined #koha
07:50 Viktor Hi! Hope all is well.
07:51 Viktor Cleaned up the sv-translation a bit and handed to the translators. But noticed file ending .po.txt. Is this correct?
07:52 kf no
07:52 kf maybe it happened when youcleaned it up and saved
07:52 kf it shoudl be just .po
07:52 Viktor kf thanks.
07:53 Viktor Poedit on OS X seems fine with it. And when I download from Pootle it looks like .po on the platform but saves as .po.txt on OS X.
07:53 Viktor Weird...
07:53 wahanui weird is normal after a while :)
07:53 kf hm
07:53 kf did you use the zip file download on the review tab?
07:54 Viktor No - grabbed it from http://translate.koha-communit[…]/sv/312/edit.html
07:54 kf i think it's probably a browser thing then or something like that
07:55 laurence joined #koha
07:55 kf hm yeah, it offers me to save as .txt too
07:57 Viktor Im trying the same download with armeninan now.
07:57 Viktor That too saves as .po.txt.
07:58 Viktor But opens fine in poedit.
07:58 Viktor Thanks for the help kf
07:59 Viktor I'll ask on the translate list and see if anyone knows. It doesn't seem to cause any trouble, but some caution might be good :)
08:02 kf Viktor_away: it's just the file ending, rename it and you are good
08:16 BigRig joined #koha
08:16 mtate joined #koha
08:16 Callender joined #koha
08:19 phasefx joined #koha
08:20 moodaepo joined #koha
08:23 Viktor_away joined #koha
08:24 Viktor kf Great! :)
08:30 gerundio joined #koha
08:32 gerundio joined #koha
08:34 christophe_c joined #koha
08:38 BigRig joined #koha
09:04 kf hm quiet today
09:18 Viktor A bit.
09:18 Viktor Drifted off to write a progress report. And now lunch. kf
09:18 magnuse let's make some noise!
09:18 magnuse @wunder boo
09:18 huginn magnuse: The current temperature in Bodo, Norway is 5.0°C (10:50 AM CEST on May 15, 2013). Conditions: Light Rain. Humidity: 87%. Dew Point: 3.0°C. Windchill: -2.0°C. Pressure: 29.56 in 1001 hPa (Steady).
09:18 kf :)
09:18 kf let's make some last minute sign-offs? ;)
09:19 kf we got a few blockers...
09:20 Viktor I'll make some offline noise. Have a meeting about the academic library's participation in the Koha-project.
09:21 magnuse Viktor: good luck with that
09:21 kf :)
09:21 Viktor Thanks magnuse
09:21 magnuse convince them to use Koha! :-)
09:21 Viktor The thought is to have them check for stuff that academic libraries need so we can build a free national infrastructure.
09:21 magnuse w00t!
09:22 Viktor Or at least available for those who want it I should say.
09:22 magnuse nah, just force everyone to use it ;-)
09:22 magnuse mandatory freedom!
09:22 Viktor :D
09:22 Viktor I'll suggest that :)
09:23 magnuse yay!
09:24 Viktor We have funds from the national library to create patches needed for use in Sweden for both academic libraries and "folkbibliotek". But they themselves will hardly want to become vendors.
09:25 kf but you got money - sounds like something will happen :)
09:25 magnuse @later tell jcamins: the nb-NO translation is "done" - everything except 1. help files and 2. marc21/unimarc specific stuff is translated. hope nb-NO can make it into the list of translated languages! :-)
09:25 huginn magnuse: The operation succeeded.
09:25 Viktor kj We do have a bit of funds for 2013-2014.
09:26 Viktor Some is to pay the people working in the project, some is to create documentation and so forth. But a sizable amount is for development.
09:27 Viktor And a third of that is geared towards Pubsubhubbub.
09:27 Viktor (but they have no hub yet to test on so I have been holding off on that)
09:28 Viktor Well: always glad to see you kf magnuse. I'll hop off to go for lunch and meetings.
09:29 kf bye Viktor
09:29 * kf wonders what that ...hubbub is
09:29 Viktor_away joined #koha
09:32 magnuse kf:
09:32 magnuse it's a system Viktor wants to use to pull records into koha from a central catalogue
09:32 kf oh
09:32 magnuse well, it's what the central catalogue wants to use, really
09:33 kf ah :)
09:33 magnuse the library buys a book, the central catalogue (Libris) is notified and the MARC record is "sent" to Koha via pubsubhubbub
09:33 kf interesting :)
09:33 kf going to use the restful api?
09:36 magnuse possibly - i don't quite remember the details of what we talked about...
09:42 * kf wishes hard for oleonard to appear
09:42 kf oleonard?
09:42 wahanui i think oleonard is still here, if you just wish hard enough. or Koha's master UI designer
09:43 magnuse kf: gotta wish harder
09:44 kf trying
10:28 lds joined #koha
10:44 Viktor_away joined #koha
11:03 Viktor_away joined #koha
11:06 jcamins Cool, my e-mail did something! Czech strings have been uploaded.
11:19 magnuse yay
11:35 bgkriegel joined #koha
11:36 jwagner joined #koha
12:00 clrh joined #koha
12:08 jenkins_koha Starting build #32 for job Koha_3.12.x (previous build: SUCCESS)
12:16 oleonard joined #koha
12:16 huginn New commit(s) kohagit: Merge branch 'bug_6329' into 3.14-master <[…]0ebf1e64d8964416c> / Bug 6329 - patron categories should show which fields are required <[…]227c792c2ff07134d> / Merge branch 'bug_10214' into 3.14-master <[…]oha.git;a=commitd
12:16 oleonard Hi #koha
12:24 Dyrcona joined #koha
12:26 NateC joined #koha
12:36 talljoy joined #koha
12:48 druthb o/
12:48 jenkins_koha Project Koha_3.12.x build #32: SUCCESS in 39 min: http://jenkins.koha-community.[…]b/Koha_3.12.x/32/
12:48 jenkins_koha * Owen Leonard: Bug 10108 - can't print more than one page of overdues
12:48 jenkins_koha * Frédéric Demians: Bug 10214 Add header to syspref po files
12:48 jenkins_koha * Owen Leonard: Bug 6329 - patron categories should show which fields are required
12:48 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10108 major, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, Pushed to Master , can't print more than one page of overdues
12:48 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10214 normal, P5 - low, ---, frederic, Pushed to Master , malformed syspref.po file
12:48 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=6329 normal, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, Pushed to Master , patron categories should show which fields are required
12:48 oleonard Hi druthb
12:48 druthb :)  Hi, oleonard!
12:48 jenkins_koha Starting build #1173 for job Koha_master (previous build: STILL UNSTABLE -- last SUCCESS #1164 8 days 23 hr ago)
13:06 kf hi oleonard :)
13:07 kf oleonard: about the translation bug I filed earlier - i realized later that _("") works too... but not working on a patch right now
13:13 gerundio joined #koha
13:22 kf jcamins++
13:25 JohnnyAce joined #koha
13:25 JohnnyAce hello
13:29 kf hi Joh
13:29 kf ah i was too slow
13:33 Callender joined #koha
13:36 oleonard Hi kf. I didn't look closely at that bug but I'm sure it's much like other translation bugs we've had.
13:38 kf it is
13:38 huginn New commit(s) kohagit: Merge branch 'deb_scripts_312_rc1' into 3.14-master <[…]38e30fb3da0d92508> / Bug 10094 - koha-list should have a --disabled option switch <[…]78e6a37e5b85273f5> / Bug 10146 - koha-stop-zebra error handling <[…]b/?p=koha.git;a=c
13:38 kf only bit grumpy so many things crept in again :)
13:40 oleonard We have a tendency to add shiny new things to Koha before they're really finished.
13:40 magnuse oooh, shiny...
13:42 kf magnuse: don't get distracted... i think you have something to work on?
13:42 maximep joined #koha
13:42 magnuse nah, never heard of it...
13:50 * kf glares at magnuse and points at his desk
13:51 * magnuse intends to leave his desk in 10 minutes and come back to it tonight. so there!
13:55 * druthb offers magnuse and kf cookies, so they won't bicker.
13:55 magnuse yay
13:58 * magnuse wanders off
13:59 kf druthb: i am helping him!
13:59 jenkins_koha Project Koha_master build #1173: STILL UNSTABLE in 1 hr 11 min: http://jenkins.koha-community.[…]Koha_master/1173/
13:59 jenkins_koha * Owen Leonard: Bug 10108 - can't print more than one page of overdues
13:59 jenkins_koha * Frédéric Demians: Bug 10214 Add header to syspref po files
13:59 jenkins_koha * Owen Leonard: Bug 6329 - patron categories should show which fields are required
13:59 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10108 major, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, Pushed to Master , can't print more than one page of overdues
13:59 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10214 normal, P5 - low, ---, frederic, Pushed to Master , malformed syspref.po file
13:59 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=6329 normal, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, Pushed to Master , patron categories should show which fields are required
13:59 jenkins_koha Starting build #33 for job Koha_3.12.x (previous build: SUCCESS)
14:00 tcohen joined #koha
14:04 jcamins Ugh. I'm not sure why jenkins is failing.
14:06 maximep oh man, it's failing all over the place :/
14:06 fcapovilla joined #koha
14:06 jcamins maximep: there's only one actual failure there.
14:07 oleonard sophie_m: Is Bug 7776 still a problem? I don't understand the bug report.
14:07 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=7776 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, NEW , Inconsistency between check in and check out display
14:07 maximep "Table 'koha.ratings' doesn't exist". Is there some migrations that wasn't applied on the jenkins server ?
14:07 paul_p joined #koha
14:07 jcamins maximep: huh? Where's that from?
14:08 jcamins I only see two failures. The Acq failure and daily quotes.
14:08 maximep raw output
14:08 maximep that's where the interesting stuff is
14:08 jcamins Oh. Heh. I don't read that.
14:08 jcamins Okay, the RC is not going to be done in the next five minutes.
14:09 * jcamins heads into the city.
14:09 sophie_m oleonard: I think it could be closed
14:11 oleonard Okay, thanks sophie_m
14:15 BigRig joined #koha
14:21 kf marcelr++
14:22 gmcharlt @quote random
14:22 huginn gmcharlt: Quote #233: "<oleonard> How about Now that she's three my daughter has terrible authority control" (added by gmcharlt at 05:06 PM, February 14, 2013)
14:23 * druthb chuckles.
14:23 jcamins RC1 is announced, and I am running late.
14:29 tcohen jcamins++
14:31 kf jcamins++ :)
14:35 tcohen jcamins: did the ccsr .po files get included in the rc?
14:37 dever23b joined #koha
14:37 Johnny joined #koha
14:37 Johnny Yo
14:37 kf tcohen: not sure if the pull request has happened yet
14:37 druthb It has not.
14:37 kf i woudl guess they are not, butnot sure
14:37 druthb The pull req will happen Saturday morning, US time.
14:37 kf so probably not - but in final release then :)
14:37 kf and hey druthb :)
14:38 dever23b Hello -- is anyone experiencing issues with Z39.50 searches to Library of Congress?  I've tried manual queries and I always get "search failed at opac rc=1"
14:38 Johnny Yeah, me too
14:38 kf i think someone said it was down?
14:39 Johnny
14:39 dever23b I've tried the "old" hostname ( and the "new" ( ... same results
14:39 Johnny and/or
14:39 dever23b Oh really?  Wonderful!
14:39 jenkins_koha Project Koha_3.12.x build #33: SUCCESS in 39 min: http://jenkins.koha-community.[…]b/Koha_3.12.x/33/
14:39 jenkins_koha * Tomas Cohen Arazi: Bug 10159 - koha-rebuild-zebra error handling
14:39 jenkins_koha * Tomas Cohen Arazi: Bug 10157 - koha-email-enable error handling
14:39 jenkins_koha * Tomas Cohen Arazi: Bug 10146 - koha-stop-zebra error handling
14:39 jenkins_koha * Tomas Cohen Arazi: Bug 10094 - koha-list should have a --disabled option switch
14:39 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10159 normal, P5 - low, ---, tomascohen, Pushed to Master , koha-rebuild-zebra error handling
14:39 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10157 normal, P5 - low, ---, tomascohen, Pushed to Master , koha-email-enable error handling
14:39 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10146 normal, P5 - low, ---, tomascohen, Pushed to Master , koha-stop-zebra error handling
14:39 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10094 normal, P5 - low, ---, koha-bugs, Pushed to Master , koha-list should have an --disabled option
14:40 jenkins_koha Starting build #1174 for job Koha_master (previous build: STILL UNSTABLE -- last SUCCESS #1164 9 days 0 hr ago)
14:40 kf i am not sure tho
14:40 Johnny Can anyone eles confirm LOC is having an issue with Z searches?
14:40 kf did it work for you in the past?
14:41 Johnny It has worked for most of the year.. Just within last 48-72 hours
14:41 dever23b Same
14:42 dever23b I have not made any changes in the past 9+ months and we haven't had any reported issues until now.  During intial investigation, I came across the news from 1/2013 regarding the new hostname and attempted using that to no avail.
14:43 dever23b I don't get any "errors" from Koha; it simply always returns 0 records.  So, I equipped my good friend SSH and tried doing some Z queries with yaz-client and that's when I developed the failures
14:43 dever23b Z> open
14:43 dever23b Connecting...OK.
14:43 dever23b Sent initrequest.
14:43 dever23b Connection accepted by v3 target.
14:43 dever23b ID     : 34
14:43 dever23b Name   : Voyager LMS - Z39.50 Server (YAZ Proxy)
14:43 dever23b Version: 2007.2.0/
14:43 dever23b Options: search present
14:43 dever23b Elapsed: 1.236377
14:43 dever23b Z> querytype ccl2rpn
14:43 dever23b Z> find (ti=great gatsby)
14:43 dever23b Sent searchRequest.
14:43 dever23b Received SearchResponse.
14:43 dever23b Search was a bloomin' failure.
14:43 dever23b Number of hits: 0
14:43 dever23b Result Set Status: none
14:43 dever23b records returned: 0
14:43 dever23b Diagnostic message(s) from database:
14:43 dever23b [1] Permanent system error -- v2 addinfo 'search failed at opac rc=1'
14:43 dever23b Elapsed: 0.032942
14:44 Johnny Dever23b.. Let me know .. Gotta run..
14:45 dever23b @Johnny will do
14:45 huginn dever23b: I've exhausted my database of quotes
14:47 dever23b brb
14:49 mtompset joined #koha
14:49 mtompset Greetings, #koha.
14:50 dever23b joined #koha
14:50 dever23b Back
14:51 dever23b Anyone else able to confirm query issues with Z39.50 searches from the Library of Congress ( or
14:52 paul_p joined #koha
14:55 kf hi paul_p :)
14:58 JesseM joined #koha
14:59 mtompset dever23b: my librarian colleague told me to look up 0830822186 on LOC, and he said he got a result and then no results.
15:00 dever23b Thank you!  Hmm.
15:01 mtompset I haven't tried to figure out the problem yet.
15:01 mtompset Greetings, kf.
15:06 dever23b mtompset: Thanks for the information.  Forgive me, I recently took over for our Koha administration and I'm still learning how all this works.  Is there anything you'd recommend I investigate to determine whether it's a problem on my server or externally?
15:07 mtompset When it comes to z39.50, I know as little as you. Sorry.
15:07 dever23b Fabulous!  Lol no problem, thanks.
15:09 reiveune bye
15:09 reiveune left #koha
15:10 paul_p joined #koha
15:12 mcooper joined #koha
15:12 jwagner dever23b, LC hasn't been working all week. I just talked to someone there, and he said the systems staff have been testing and working on something
15:13 dever23b jwagner: thank you very much.  I tried searching around for awhile and came up with nothing; is there some kind of place where I can check on the status of LC or do you just have to know somebody there?
15:13 mtompset Thanks for the information, jwagner. :)
15:13 jwagner I asked and he said they didn't have a publicly accessible status page, just for internal staff
15:13 jwagner We just have to wait until it starts working again, sigh
15:14 dever23b Even better lol
15:15 dever23b Maybe you should get his direct contact information plastered over the interwebs, and see how long it takes for them to make public a status page :)
15:15 mtompset No, that more then likely would backfire.
15:15 dever23b Yeah probably, but it'd be kinda funny.
15:15 mtompset See how long before LoC stops talking to jwagner and company.
15:15 jwagner I don't threaten LC -- some of my best friends work there...
15:16 dever23b Lol.  Apparently both of you missed the sarcastic humor in that.  I wasn't actually suggesting that you do that.  I'm sorry.
15:16 mtompset I don't see how it is funny not to be able to get the answer to your (and my) question.
15:16 mtompset I would have used a ;) not a :) for sarcasm. :P
15:16 jwagner what's odd is that it works from their own gateway at -- just not from any external client
15:17 jwagner But the problem is definitely on their end
15:17 dever23b mtompset: lol.  forgive me.  syntax error ;)
15:17 dever23b jwagner: I noticed that too
15:18 mtompset dever23b: Not a problem. Just glad we could communicate to the point of clarification.
15:20 dever23b mtompset: Likewise.
15:20 dever23b Thanks everyone.  I guess I'll just keep checking in.
15:20 mtompset Thanks for the information, jwagner.
15:20 mtompset jwagner++
15:28 kf bye all
15:28 kf left #koha
15:32 tcohen ok, updated our 38 testing instances to rc1, its a relief not to see broken chars
15:33 tcohen (and that koha-translate --update es-ES worked too :-P)
15:37 jcamins tcohen: nope.
15:52 jenkins_koha Project Koha_master build #1174: STILL UNSTABLE in 1 hr 12 min: http://jenkins.koha-community.[…]Koha_master/1174/
15:52 jenkins_koha * Tomas Cohen Arazi: Bug 10159 - koha-rebuild-zebra error handling
15:52 jenkins_koha * Tomas Cohen Arazi: Bug 10157 - koha-email-enable error handling
15:52 jenkins_koha * Tomas Cohen Arazi: Bug 10146 - koha-stop-zebra error handling
15:52 jenkins_koha * Tomas Cohen Arazi: Bug 10094 - koha-list should have a --disabled option switch
15:52 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10159 normal, P5 - low, ---, tomascohen, Pushed to Master , koha-rebuild-zebra error handling
15:52 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10157 normal, P5 - low, ---, tomascohen, Pushed to Master , koha-email-enable error handling
15:52 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10146 normal, P5 - low, ---, tomascohen, Pushed to Master , koha-stop-zebra error handling
15:52 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10094 normal, P5 - low, ---, koha-bugs, Pushed to Master , koha-list should have an --disabled option
16:01 sophie_m left #koha
16:02 melia joined #koha
16:03 jcamins Hehe.
16:04 * druthb blames melia.
16:04 melia lol
16:11 mtompset don't you mean git blames melia. ;)
16:58 drojf joined #koha
17:02 mtompset Greetings, drojf. :)
17:03 drojf hi mtompset
17:03 drojf and hi #koha
17:03 drojf @wunder berlin, germany
17:03 huginn drojf: The current temperature in Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin, Germany is 24.8°C (6:43 PM CEST on May 15, 2013). Conditions: Clear. Humidity: 25%. Dew Point: 3.0°C. Pressure: 29.59 in 1002 hPa (Steady).
17:03 jcamins drojf: where were you earlier when I was trying to understand Klotz am Bein? I missed you terribly! :P
17:04 drojf so sorry :D
17:04 drojf did you get it?
17:04 jcamins Yes.
17:04 jcamins Literally it's a ball and chain.
17:04 jcamins Metaphorically it is a heavy burden that drags you down.
17:04 drojf haha i like »an albatross around the neck«
17:05 jcamins drojf: ooh, I like that better.
17:05 drojf i will try to use that in a conversation as soon as possible :D
17:06 jcamins An albatross around the neck: a comedy. :D
17:06 drojf also reminds me of monty python's albatross
17:06 slef` joined #koha
17:12 drojf :)
17:17 cait joined #koha
17:25 fcapovilla joined #koha
17:26 nengard joined #koha
17:28 nengard Hi #koha - say hi to our newest Koha Library here in Las Vegas
17:30 nengard left #koha
17:34 cait oh too late
17:34 drojf it's also the fastest library
17:34 cait more a fast trainer - lots to practice and explain probably
17:50 pianohacker joined #koha
17:50 pianohacker Good morning, #koha
17:51 oleonard Hey pianohacker, is it morning where you are?
17:52 slef joined #koha
17:53 pianohacker oleonard: for another 8 minutes :)
17:56 pianohacker oleonard: how have you been?
17:56 oleonard Very well, and you?
17:57 pianohacker oleonard: excellent, glad to be back
18:11 * cait waves
18:11 cait welcome back pianohacker
18:15 jcamins For people who liked the Hobbit:[…]n=&search=CL53627
18:15 pianohacker hi cait
18:21 gmcharlt pianohacker!
18:21 wahanui it has been said that pianohacker is younger, I think.
18:21 gmcharlt yay!
18:21 mtompset Oops... missed it. Greetings, cait oleonard pianohacker and gmcharlt. Hopefully didn't miss anyone. :)
18:21 cait hi mtompset and gmcharlt :)
18:22 pianohacker hi, gmcharlt :)
18:22 pianohacker and mtompset
18:22 wahanui i heard mtompset was disliking the silent warnings flooding his error logs.
18:22 pianohacker I have sympathy for you and we've only just met
18:23 mtompset That always will be true.
18:23 * druthb feels missed by mtompset
18:23 mtompset Oops... sorry, druthb. I didn't scroll back.
18:23 pianohacker druthb! how's it going?
18:23 druthb :P  Just pulling your chain, mtompset.
18:23 druthb going okay, pianohacker. :D
18:23 pianohacker sweet
18:35 jcamins gmcharlt++
18:39 mtompset anyone familiar with setting up a memcache server? :)
18:40 jcamins Where are you running into trouble?
18:40 mtompset This is related to my experimentation with the shibboleth patch from biblibre.
18:41 mtompset I successfully got simplesamlphp to authenticate, and I'm pretty sure now I can get it to redirect back to my opac interface.
18:41 mtompset But... well, environment variables need to get pushed and pulled nicely across.
18:41 mtompset I figured a memcache server would be the way to do that.
18:42 slef` joined #koha
18:42 jcamins No.
18:42 jcamins Definitely not.
18:43 jcamins A memcached server does not have anything to do with environment variables.
18:43 jcamins I mean, you configure it with environment variables, but that's a Koha thing, not a memcached thing.
18:44 jcamins So you'll still need your script to read in environment variables.
18:44 mtompset Right, but the environment variables for a perl script aren't going to be identical for the PHP script.
18:45 mtompset I'm probably doing this all wrong, but I figure I'll try anyways.
18:45 jcamins first question?
18:45 wahanui "What are you trying to do?" or "What is the goal?"
18:46 bgkriegel joined #koha
18:46 mtompset opac login screen has a link to simplesamlphp...?as=OpenIdP... triggers OpenIdP authentication and redirects back to simplesamlphp... which then needs to redirect back to OPAC and have an environment variable set.
18:47 mtompset Yes, I probably should try to write the SP in perl, so I don't have the simplesamlphp mess in the middle.
18:47 jcamins I see. Memcached has nothing to do with that.
18:47 jcamins What you wanted to ask was "how do I work with sessions?"
18:48 jcamins Unfortunately, I don't have an answer beyond "CGI::Session takes care of it in Perl."
18:48 mtompset Hmmm... okay, that's an idea.
18:48 jcamins You can't store environment variables in memcached because that would force you to have only one session open at a time.
18:49 mtompset And that would prevent multiple users, which defeats the purpose.
18:49 jcamins And if you can limit the total concurrent logins to 1, you don't need authentication, really.
19:17 tcohen joined #koha
19:43 oleonard If we start using LESS, I wonder how that affects tracking changes... What if a patch directly modifies the CSS file instead of the LESS file?
19:43 cait fail qa?
19:44 cait not sure how hard it will make it for people to do changes
19:44 oleonard I worry about that too
19:49 jcamins I don't think it'll make it any harder.
19:49 oleonard It will require people to add a tool to their workflow
19:50 jcamins Not necessarily.
19:50 jcamins Developers can simply use the LESS directly, and it is encumbant (sp?) on the RM to update the CSS.
19:51 oleonard ...and anyone who runs Koha off git, although those people are more qualified than anyone else to learn a new tool.
19:52 * oleonard retracts that non-sequitor
19:52 cait hm not sure I can follow
19:53 cait what is the big win of LESS again?
19:53 cait i mean why do we want to use it?
19:54 magnuse you can have variables in css, i think?
19:55 jcamins oleonard: no, other users of git don't have to run LESS.
19:55 jcamins Just the RM.
19:55 magnuse so define a color once in a variable and then use that variable wherever you want to use the color?
19:55 jcamins cait: it allows you to abstract out repeated declarations.
19:55 jcamins Right.
19:55 jcamins One of the benefits of LESS.
19:55 jcamins You can also do sets of rules.
19:56 pianohacker jcamins: To confirm, developers would be using some kind of JS converter shim to use LESS on the fly, or how would that work?
19:56 jcamins pianohacker: right.
19:56 jcamins
19:57 tcohen what about Sass?
19:57 jcamins tcohen: also supposed to be good, but I liked LESS better. :P
19:58 tcohen they have a sexy gal on their front page
19:58 jcamins lol
19:58 tcohen :-P
19:58 jcamins But it's written in Ruby.
19:58 kathryn joined #koha
20:00 rangi anyone got some time?
20:00 rangi bug 4173
20:00 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=4173 normal, P3, ---, oleonard, Pushed to Stable , Statuses not appearing in the OPAC
20:00 rangi a new developer has submitted a patch there
20:01 rangi[…]g.cgi?id=4173#c26
20:01 huginn Bug 4173: normal, P3, ---, oleonard, Pushed to Stable , Statuses not appearing in the OPAC
20:01 rangi could some one help them with a bit nicer instructions
20:01 rangi if not I will in a couple of hours
20:01 cait bit nicer?
20:01 rangi when im at my desk
20:02 rangi[…]g.cgi?id=4173#c27
20:02 huginn Bug 4173: normal, P3, ---, oleonard, Pushed to Stable , Statuses not appearing in the OPAC
20:02 cait oh i see
20:02 cait *sigh*
20:02 rangi at bit more freindly/explaining
20:02 cait i will try
20:02 cait but working on something else right now and it's getting late :(
20:02 rangi its a bit mean, but im sure fridolyn doesnt mean it to be
20:02 cait nope i don't think he did
20:05 pianohacker hey rangi
20:05 magnuse packages++
20:08 rangi heya pianohacker good to see you again
20:08 * rangi will talk more after hes taken kids to school and gone to work
20:12 rangi magnuse: did you see[…]en_Debian_Squeeze
20:13 magnuse in spanish? cool!
20:13 rangi the start of it it anyway
20:14 rangi[…]  <-- getting there without killing my linode
20:15 rangi and now im gone for a bit
20:16 cait hnm don't we have a page on aobut how to file bugs?
20:19 magnuse whut?? i upgraded my 3.12 test install to the latest squeeze-dev package, and now all the "norwegian wovels" display wrong??
20:19 magnuse
20:19 cait oh ouch?
20:19 tcohen doesn't squeeze-dev differ from 3.12?
20:19 cait I didn't see that happen on our installation, but we are beta3 i think
20:20 jcamins magnuse: that's 3.14.
20:20 magnuse the about page says
20:21 tcohen yes, they share the DB version number
20:21 magnuse um, that might be a tad confusing? ;-)
20:22 magnuse so to get beta3, i have to... find a package jcamins uloaded somewhere?
20:22 tcohen
20:22 magnuse koha-common_3.12.00-rc1_all.deb ?
20:22 tcohen BTW, I proposed to change the packages naming to avoid this situation, vote for it :-P
20:22 magnuse tcohen: i will, i think :-)
20:23 cait magnuse: that looks right
20:24 * magnuse should not let himself get in arrears with the lists
20:24 magnuse jcamins++
20:26 magnuse that looks much better, yes
20:26 * magnuse breathes a sigh of relief...
20:27 magnuse koha-translate++ very convenient!
20:28 jcamins magnuse: I recommend the RC.
20:29 jcamins magnuse: they won't share a version after the 3.12 release.
20:29 magnuse jcamins: good :-)
20:29 magnuse rc is now installed
20:31 magnuse found a problem, perhaps: when i use the norwegian translation in the staff client and try to add a patron category, nothing happens when i click on "save". firebug tells me "ReferenceError: Check is not defined". works as normal when i switch to english
20:32 magnuse no missing js files, as far as i can see
20:33 jcamins magnuse: is it new?
20:33 magnuse what, the error?
20:33 jcamins Right.
20:33 magnuse i have not seen it before
20:34 jcamins Okay, probably a result of that patch I just pushed.
20:37 magnuse which one would that be?
20:37 jcamins I don't remember.
20:38 jcamins I just pushed it, though.
20:38 jcamins Bug 6329.
20:38 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=6329 normal, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, Pushed to Master , patron categories should show which fields are required
20:38 magnuse ah, sounds plausible
20:39 * magnuse wonders if cait tested that with the german translation
20:42 magnuse oops, gotta run, have fun #koha
20:45 cait acutally i did
20:45 cait actually...
20:45 cait magnuse: did you ctrl reload or something?
20:45 cait it worked for me, i got the error messages and it looked fine with german
20:46 jcamins cait: did you update your translations?
20:46 cait yes
20:46 cait i think so
20:46 jcamins I mean, po files.
20:46 cait i wanted to know if the messages would get translated
20:46 cait let me recheck
20:46 jcamins Because it occurs to me that if you had the 3.12 po files and magnuse had only the included po files (from 3.10), it might end up weird.
20:47 cait i copied over the completed german files
20:47 cait but let me test
20:48 magnuse um, forget it
20:48 wahanui magnuse: I forgot it
20:48 jcamins That was my suspicion.
20:48 magnuse i had the 3.10 files
20:48 magnuse but then i got the 3.12 ones from pootle
20:48 magnuse and now it works for norwegian too
20:48 magnuse gah
20:48 magnuse i thought i tested that and got the same error
20:48 magnuse perhaps i did not reload properly
20:48 jcamins magnuse: yeah, I don't have a pull request for 3.12 yet. The release will have the translations.
20:49 magnuse sure, no problem
20:49 cait druthb said something about saturday morning earlier on
20:49 magnuse i'm being stupid again
20:49 cait it's getting late
20:49 magnuse it is!
20:49 jcamins Hm, maybe I should ask the TM to do up a pull request now, and release another RC, then a final pull request on Saturday/
20:49 jcamins Sunday.
20:50 magnuse sounds like a good plan to me
20:50 magnuse unless it's a lot of work for you or druthb_away
20:50 jcamins I think the pull requests are pretty easy.
20:50 jcamins Not sure.
20:51 * cait confirms that adding a patron form the german interface is no problem
20:52 magnuse cait: the problem was with adding a new patron category...
20:52 * magnuse really is off now
20:53 * jcamins gazes blearily at this poster.
20:54 cait right... and that's what i tested... it's getting late!
20:55 * jcamins calls it a day.
20:59 tcohen hi rangi, bgkriegel
20:59 bgkriegel hi tcohen
21:04 rangi hi there :)
21:05 bgkriegel hi rangi
21:05 pianohacker yo
21:09 tcohen hi rangi, we could connect through talk maybe?
21:09 rangi here is better :)
21:09 rangi then others can read the log too
21:09 rangi i just have to grab a coffee then we can start
21:11 pianohacker coffee++
21:11 wizzyrea pianohacker!
21:11 wahanui well, pianohacker is younger, I think.
21:11 tcohen hmm, ceylon here
21:11 tcohen (too much coffee at work time today)
21:12 pianohacker hey wizzy :) how are you doing?
21:12 JesseM_away left #koha
21:12 wizzyrea i'm well!
21:12 tcohen is Chris Hall around?
21:12 wizzyrea and you?
21:12 pianohacker see, given the crazy schedules we all keep, ...
21:12 wizzyrea not yet tcohen
21:12 pianohacker @karma coffee
21:12 huginn pianohacker: Karma for "coffee" has been increased 5 times and decreased 1 time for a total karma of 4.
21:12 rangi right, ready to go?
21:12 pianohacker is too low
21:12 rangi not yet
21:13 bgkriegel yes
21:13 pianohacker wizzyrea: fantastic, just started work with bywater, and have surgery for auditory implant on monday
21:13 wizzyrea ! minor surgery I hope
21:14 pianohacker elective; I've been pretty deaf in my right ear for a decade, and this is to put in a bone-implanted hearing aid that will bring it back
21:14 tcohen ready to go rangi
21:14 rangi ok, so here's how i do it
21:14 pianohacker it's outpatient, I'll just look like I fought a very small bear for a few weeks
21:14 rangi[…]ha.git;a=shortlog
21:15 rangi normally i watch that url
21:15 rangi (master)
21:15 rangi but now since we are close to 3.12 i have been watching
21:15 rangi[…]refs/heads/3.12.x
21:15 rangi heres the 2 branches i look after
21:15 rangi[…]refs/heads/3.10.x
21:15 rangi[…]=refs/heads/3.8.x
21:16 rangi now if you look at the 3.10.x you will see near the top is bug 9679
21:16 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=9679 major, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, Pushed to Stable , can't place hold from cart in CCSR
21:16 rangi and if you look here
21:16 rangi[…]refs/heads/3.12.x
21:16 rangi and find 9679
21:16 rangi that is where i am up to in the queue
21:17 rangi (ive let it build up a few days so I have something to show you)
21:17 bgkriegel ok :)
21:17 rangi so essentially you have to watch the branch ahead of you
21:17 rangi ie, 3.12.x watches master, 3.10.x watches 3.12.x
21:17 rangi etc
21:18 rangi so the next bug in my queue is bug 10134
21:18 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10134 normal, P5 - low, ---, mtj, Pushed to Master , set XSLT usage ON as default, for new Koha installs
21:18 rangi so i pull that up in bugzilla and have a quick read
21:18 laurence left #koha
21:19 rangi now in my opinion that is not a change we should put in a stable branch
21:19 cait i am almost certain bug 10043 is a duplicate, but I can't find it. grr.
21:19 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10043 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, amit.gupta, Needs Signoff , Clear notforloan on receipt
21:19 rangi so i would not cherry-pick it
21:20 tcohen it is changing a default behaviour
21:20 rangi but what i will do, is not on the bug that im not doing that, so i remember
21:20 bgkriegel Q: not for 3.10.x if not in 3.12.x?
21:20 rangi like that
21:21 rangi bgkriegel: yeah, thats a pretty good rule of thumb, sometimes however there is a patch for a bug that is only present in an older version
21:21 gaetan_B bye !
21:21 rangi so you do need to keep an eye on the bugs list
21:21 rangi (i have filters set up)
21:21 rangi and skim read almost all the bug mail
21:22 bgkriegel ok
21:22 rangi but you really only have to care about things that are either pushed to master, pushed to stable or passed qa
21:22 rangi if they arent in one of those states, its not time for us maintainers yet :)
21:22 bgkriegel yeap :)
21:22 rangi[…]g.cgi?id=10134#c6
21:22 huginn Bug 10134: normal, P5 - low, ---, mtj, Pushed to Master , set XSLT usage ON as default, for new Koha installs
21:23 rangi so i did a comment like that
21:23 rangi and then i just move on
21:23 rangi bug 10225
21:23 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10225 normal, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, Pushed to Master , If an item isn't editable, don't show the onclick Edit/Delete menu
21:23 rangi what do you reckon about that one?
21:23 tcohen QAed
21:24 rangi it reads to me like its something we should fix in stable
21:25 tcohen yes
21:25 bgkriegel yes
21:25 cait QAM agrees
21:25 cait ;)
21:25 rangi so the first thing i would do is check it applys
21:25 rangi so i check out my 3.10.x branch
21:26 tcohen teacher, do we have some feed to follow for the latest commits? (:-P)
21:26 rangi fetch and merge
21:26 rangi yep
21:26 rangi[…]refs/heads/3.12.x
21:26 rangi scroll to the bottom
21:26 rangi there are links for atom and rss feeds
21:26 tcohen excelent
21:27 tcohen is git bz the right tool for fetching and merging?
21:27 rangi i cherry-pick
21:27 rangi so i look here
21:27 rangi[…]705a5db9b11ad7672
21:28 rangi then i do
21:28 rangi git cherry-pick -x 1a8db0ba7d62a70cd6b49ee705a5db9b11ad7672
21:28 rangi it doesnt apply clean
21:28 * wizzyrea googles -x
21:28 rangi error: could not apply 1a8db0b... Bug 10225 - If an item isn't editable, don't show the onclick Edit/Delete menu
21:28 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10225 normal, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, Pushed to Master , If an item isn't editable, don't show the onclick Edit/Delete menu
21:28 rangi hint: after resolving the conflicts, mark the corrected paths
21:29 pastebot "rangi" at pasted "index 46d99b5,1043965..0000000" (24 lines) at
21:30 rangi now i think i could fix this
21:30 rangi so i look at[…]8ddcc71ddc37cc12e
21:30 rangi (with git show usually)
21:30 rangi to see what the original commmit did
21:30 rangi and check that what i think the fix would be is right
21:31 rangi and then i would fix this
21:31 rangi because its a very simple conflict
21:31 rangi but if i was unsure at all
21:31 rangi i would write on teh bug
21:31 rangi 'This does not apply cleanly to 3.10.x please submit one formatted for 3.10.x'
21:32 rangi so ill fix this
21:33 rangi edit
21:33 rangi git add file
21:33 rangi git commit
21:33 rangi this adds 2 lines to the commit message
21:33 rangi (cherry picked from commit 1a8db0ba7d62a70cd6b49ee705a5db9b11ad7672)
21:33 rangi Conflicts: koha-tmpl/intranet-tmpl/prog/en​/modules/cataloguing/
21:33 rangi which helps if we ever have to track anything down to with this
21:34 rangi now i get to test, i have to test a bit more cos i fixed a conflict
21:34 rangi id start with a prove t
21:34 rangi just cos thats habbit
21:35 rangi but for this change not needed, we dont change any perl, just a template
21:35 rangi for this i want to run some xt tests
21:35 rangi perl xt/tt_valid.t
21:36 rangi perl xt/author/valid_templates.t
21:36 rangi then ill test it on a running koha
21:36 * rangi quickly does that
21:36 rangi it has a good test plan so thats easy
21:37 rangi and luckily i have more than one branch set up :)
21:37 rangi right its working for me
21:37 rangi i also know that katrin and jared and nicole have all tested this too
21:38 martian523 joined #koha
21:38 rangi so im pretty confident, im more testing i didnt mess up in my conflict fix
21:38 rangi so im happy
21:38 rangi im gonna push this
21:38 rangi so i sign off
21:38 rangi git commit --amend -s
21:38 * cait watches them all scribbling down notes
21:38 martian523 hi, it took me a long time to log in to this chatrrom
21:38 rangi then i run
21:39 martian523 i kept getting this message : Closing Link: (Banned)
21:39 cait hi martian523
21:39 rangi git push 3.10.x
21:39 rangi and its now pushed up
21:39 rangi and jenkins will start testing it
21:39 wizzyrea mibbit and oftc must be having a disagreement
21:40 rangi technically we should be in string freeze and that was a template change, but i havent called string freeze yet, will do later today :)
21:40 rangi now, what do you think .. shall i also cherry pick this down to 3.8.x ?
21:40 * rangi hopes i havent totally confusd people
21:41 martian523 anyways, i want to ask if there's a way for koha to get marc field 245 and marc field 880 to show up when sending out notices to patrons
21:41 bag I like cherries :P
21:41 cait martian523: 245$a should show - but not the 880
21:41 wizzyrea
21:41 * rangi pauses
21:42 cait martian523: notices are build using the information from items, bilbio and biblioitems, there is no access to the marc currently and you can't really map 880
21:42 rangi bgkriegel: tcohen ... did i lose you?
21:42 bgkriegel i'll try, is small change
21:42 bgkriegel no rangi :)
21:42 bgkriegel thinking
21:42 tcohen i think we need to check the bug is present in 3.8
21:43 martian523 i see. so there's really no way to show the original characters unless i move them to 245
21:43 cait which one are you looking at?
21:43 rangi yep, thats the first thing to chceck
21:43 cait martian523: i think right now that is true
21:43 tcohen because it might have side effects of course
21:43 cait martian523: well for notices, 880 will show on detail pages and result lists wth xslt turned on
21:44 rangi this one is pretty safe, but yes in general that is a good rule
21:44 * tcohen agrees
21:45 tcohen we'll be very carefull because there are some bits we might not be familiar with (yet)
21:45 rangi so i think we should cherry-pick this back
21:45 martian523 thanks
21:45 rangi so what i will do is checkout 3.8.x
21:45 martian523 so is there something wrong with the irc chat link?
21:46 rangi make sure its up to day
21:46 rangi date even
21:46 rangi then cherry-pick the commit i just made (ie the one we have already fixed the conflict in)
21:46 cait martian523: i would think maybe too many users from mibbit or oftc blocking mibbit for some reason - wrong only because it's mibbit. if you install an irc client it's probably working better
21:47 rangi it applies clean (cos i fixed it already)
21:47 rangi test again
21:47 martian523 ok, thanks!
21:47 tcohen you cherry pick from 3.10 rangi?
21:47 wizzyrea or use that link I just posted
21:47 wizzyrea
21:47 rangi exactly
21:47 rangi git cherry-pick -x 0394a8f8ce88b6883cd2a14d57971713f98be346
21:48 rangi otherwise we would get the same conflict and have to fix it again
21:48 rangi right thats working
21:48 rangi so i can push that up to 3.8.x
21:49 rangi git push 3.8.x
21:49 rangi and i update the bug
21:49 rangi switching it to pushed to stable
21:49 rangi and a comment
21:49 wahanui a comment is enough?
21:50 rangi[…]g.cgi?id=10225#c5
21:50 huginn Bug 10225: normal, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, Pushed to Stable , If an item isn't editable, don't show the onclick Edit/Delete menu
21:50 rangi so youd be
21:50 rangi pushed to 3.12.x will be in 3.12.1
21:50 rangi and then the next one pushed to 3.10.x will be in 3.10.7 etc
21:51 rangi (im just doing 2 branches at once)
21:51 tcohen don't we need more "Pushed to" flags?
21:51 tcohen (now that we are separate individuals pushing to stable branches)
21:51 rangi not really
21:51 rangi we had separate when jared was rmaint with me
21:52 rangi basically rm maint 3.12.x watches for pushed for master
21:52 rangi 3.10.x watches for pushed to stable
21:52 rangi 3.8.x just looks for any that have a "Pushed to 3.10.x" comment
21:53 rangi but mostly
21:53 rangi i just watch the commits
21:53 rangi and only look for things like this
21:53 rangi bug 7228
21:53 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=7228 major, P5 - low, ---, christophe.croullebois, Pushed to Stable , can't order more than 1 when importing all from staged file
21:54 rangi[…]g.cgi?id=7228#c19
21:54 huginn Bug 7228: major, P5 - low, ---, christophe.croullebois, Pushed to Stable , can't order more than 1 when importing all from staged file
21:54 rangi thats a good example of one with a conflict i didnt want to fix myself
21:54 jenkins_koha Starting build #121 for job Koha_3.10.x (previous build: SUCCESS)
21:54 * rangi hopes this is useful
21:55 rangi when we get closer to your first release i can show you how to create the release notes and roll the tarball etc
21:55 rangi but i think this is enough for now?
21:55 cait tcohen++ bgkriegel++ cjh++ :)
21:55 rangi what i need from all 3 rmaints
21:55 cjh I find it really helpful when it says "pushed to 3.12.x will be in 3.12.1", especially later when I go digging :)
21:55 rangi is your ssh keys
21:55 cait same here :)
21:56 rangi so i can add you to being able to push to your branches
21:56 rangi so if you can email me your public key
21:56 rangi that you want to use
21:56 rangi ill add that
21:56 cjh are we allowed to have multiple public keys?
21:57 rangi id rather you didnt :)
21:57 rangi you can, but its just a bit messier to set up
21:57 rangi it might be worth making one
21:57 rangi just for this
21:57 cjh I will just make one for rmaint and share it across machines :)
21:57 cjh yeah.
21:57 tcohen chris@bigballofwax
21:57 tcohen ?
21:58 cjh so we are sworn into office when 3.12 is released?
21:58 rangi yep
21:59 rangi you take over the very next day!
21:59 rangi hehe
21:59 cjh *gulp*
21:59 rangi basically 3.10.6 and 3.8.13
21:59 rangi come out on 22 may
21:59 rangi and thats when im stopping
21:59 cjh wow 3.8.13, that is a big number
21:59 cait but you got 1 month then to figure it all out :)
21:59 rangi 13 releases ;)
22:00 rangi its got probably 5 more
22:00 rangi to hit its 18 month mark
22:00 rangi i think 18 months is a good life for a stable branch
22:00 cait so we are going to have 3 releases in maintenance? wow
22:00 cjh sounds good to me
22:00 rangi we had 3 this time
22:00 rangi 3.6. had a couple of releases
22:00 rangi its hit its 18 months tho and is dead
22:00 cait true
22:01 cjh I think it is very cool having multiple stable branches supported, takes a bit of pressure off around upgrading.
22:01 cait time to get off that koha
22:01 rangi yup
22:01 rangi got your key thanks tcohen
22:01 rangi ill set that up tonight
22:01 rangi nz time
22:02 rangi you can practice on local branches of course
22:02 rangi if you want
22:02 bgkriegel of course
22:03 tcohen ok rangi, i'll be practicing a bit
22:03 * cjh goes to read over rangi's notes
22:04 eythian hi
22:04 cjh morning eythian
22:04 cait hi eythian
22:04 cait bye all :)
22:04 eythian bye cait
22:04 cjh bye :)
22:05 cait left #koha
22:05 tcohen rangi: i guess we'll stick to the current schedule for the releases
22:06 tcohen what about release-tools git repo?
22:06 rangi yeah thats what i use to do the release
22:06 tcohen is it of any use for rmaint? or just for gmcharlt ?
22:06 rangi to do the creating the tarballs and release notes
22:07 rangi but i can show you that closer to the release if you want
22:07 rangi tcohen: yeah 15th for string feeze 22nd for release
22:07 tcohen of course rangi
22:07 rangi ive been doing it nz time, you can do it argentinian time :)
22:07 rangi its easier that way
22:08 cjh heh
22:08 bgkriegel hehe
22:08 tcohen have a few more questions
22:08 tcohen what do u think of security releases?
22:08 cjh the more questions you ask, the less I have to :)
22:08 rangi ah yep ive done one or 2 of those
22:08 tcohen as rmaint you'd hurry to get a new version out, right?
22:08 rangi yep
22:09 tcohen the other question regards the rmaint infrastructure
22:09 tcohen should we test packaging stuff?
22:09 tcohen leave it to eythian?
22:09 rangi tcohen: if its something that needs a release asap release it asap
22:09 rangi i test it
22:10 tcohen also: that debian thing :-D
22:10 rangi however its usually fine, if its been pushed to master
22:10 tcohen should we stick to debian squeeze VPS for the testing phase?
22:10 rangi well wheezy is out
22:10 rangi so will be moving the packages to that i would imagine
22:11 rangi but for now squeeze is still a cood one
22:11 tcohen I mostly use 12.04 and faced troubles with perl 5.14 vs 5.10 in jenkins
22:11 rangi yep
22:11 rangi jenkins will upgrade at some point i imagine, (its a biblibre machine so I would have to check with them)
22:12 rangi 5.10 is still currently our base
22:12 jcamins I've been RMing on 12.04, but I do some testing on Squeeze.
22:12 rangi for 3.10.x and 3.8.x .. jcamins 5.10 for 3.12.x too eh?
22:12 eythian tcohen: packages don't yet cleanly work on wheezy, I hope to get that sorted soon.
22:12 rangi as in, everything should work in 5.10 up
22:13 jcamins Right.
22:13 rangi id imaging 3.14 would go to 5.14
22:14 tcohen we should have RMaint guidelines in the wiki
22:14 cjh tcohen++
22:14 rangi well you can pretty much do it however you want
22:14 rangi if you are crazy enough to want to be rmaint or rm
22:15 rangi you get to choose your workflow
22:15 jcamins ^^ exactly
22:15 rangi but writing up some best practices wouldnt hurt
22:15 rangi or things people find useful
22:15 jcamins I think it'd be a great idea.
22:15 bgkriegel there is a little about cherry-pick ([…]_Git_Cherry_Pick)
22:15 jcamins All my documentation -- I think -- is in release-tools the release-tools repo on and my home-bin repo on
22:16 tcohen I think people doing RM and RMaint should have a blog where they share their thoughts on the subject :-P
22:16 rangi mine is in this log
22:16 rangi i used to
22:16 tcohen :-P
22:16 * jcamins thinks that's a great idea. Go for it!
22:16 rangi but i just use my own blog now
22:17 tcohen ok rangi, jcamins: i'm happy to do this
22:17 rangi[…]-release-process/
22:17 rangi and
22:17 rangi[…]no-not-like-that/
22:17 rangi etc
22:17 tcohen i hope it lasts :-D
22:19 rangi also
22:19 rangi
22:20 rangi and this is a good one for testing
22:20 rangi!/play[…]ir+Money/57969319
22:21 tcohen guess will start with that, until we get our own lists
22:21 rangi heh
22:22 tcohen last question (sorry)
22:22 tcohen git push 3.10.x
22:22 tcohen this pushes the current (local) branch into the remote's 3.10.x ?
22:22 jcamins No.
22:22 jcamins That pushes the local branch 3.10.x to whatever is mapped to on the remote.
22:23 jcamins I never _ever_ use that syntax.
22:23 rangi heres one specially for you[…]ego-en-mi-corazon
22:23 rangi however i always do :)
22:23 tcohen i use: git push github 3.10.x:3.10.x
22:23 jcamins ^^ that's what I use.
22:24 tcohen so its a matter of confidence on the implicit stuff
22:24 jcamins Right.
22:24 cjh it also somewhat depends on your git settings, so be careful :)
22:27 tcohen ok, thanks rangi for the explanation, we'll be in touch for further questions
22:28 cjh hmmm 'git push repo ref' means pushing your local ref to the same named ref on the repo, so git push settings dont seem to matter \o/
22:28 jcamins cjh: are you sure?
22:29 jcamins Oh, I know what it is.
22:29 cjh git push repo src:dst, and dst will default to src if omitted.
22:29 jcamins The reason I don't do that is because I had a 3.6/testing branch, and I couldn't push to that without the explicit name.
22:29 tcohen yes, my example also contained some stuff implicit
22:30 tcohen (both the remote and local branches where called the same)
22:30 cjh I was worried about git.push.default settings, but since you are specifying a ref it isnt dangerous :)
22:30 cjh jcamins: yeah if you have a local ref of the same name as the foreign but they contain different things, it could be bad.
22:31 cjh although if it isnt a clean fast forward it *should* be rejected :)
22:31 jcamins And it is.
22:31 cjh rangi: I presume we dont have rewrite permissions?
22:31 jcamins The problem is when your local testing branch contains things that you are eventually going to decide you don't want to push.
22:31 cjh yeah, that could be problematic :)
22:32 tcohen oh, that workflow i'm not used to
22:32 tcohen putting several patches together in a branch before pushing
22:32 rangi cjh: no, no -f
22:32 cjh awesome.
22:32 wahanui That'll be $1 for the awesome jar, cjh
22:33 tcohen ok, bye #koha, leaving
22:34 bgkriegel rangi: thank you very much. Now we need to practice a lot :)
22:34 rangi :)
22:35 jenkins_koha Project Koha_3.10.x build #121: SUCCESS in 40 min: http://jenkins.koha-community.[…]/Koha_3.10.x/121/
22:35 jenkins_koha Owen Leonard: Bug 10225 - If an item isn't editable, don't show the onclick Edit/Delete menu
22:35 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10225 normal, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, Pushed to Stable , If an item isn't editable, don't show the onclick Edit/Delete menu
22:35 jenkins_koha Starting build #316 for job Koha_3.8.x (previous build: SUCCESS)
22:35 cjh if you want to practise with remotes you could make a fake github upstream
22:36 bgkriegel yeap, i'll try with that first
22:37 bgkriegel ok, to the kitchen. I have to make dinner :)
22:37 bgkriegel Bye all
22:56 Irma joined #koha
23:04 pianohac1er joined #koha
23:05 pianohac1er I'm done for the day, good night all
23:12 maximep left #koha
23:12 papa joined #koha
23:13 jenkins_koha Project Koha_3.8.x build #316: SUCCESS in 38 min: http://jenkins.koha-community.[…]b/Koha_3.8.x/316/
23:13 jenkins_koha * Chris Cormack: Bug 9591 : Set Library changes after viewing Holds Queue >> reserves item
23:13 jenkins_koha * Owen Leonard: Bug 10225 - If an item isn't editable, don't show the onclick Edit/Delete menu
23:13 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=9591 blocker, P3, ---, chris, Pushed to Stable , Set Library changes after viewing Holds Queue >> reserves item
23:13 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10225 normal, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, Pushed to Stable , If an item isn't editable, don't show the onclick Edit/Delete menu
23:19 BobB joined #koha
23:32 jcamins trea: it's not fixed by the patch that I just pushed?
23:32 trea which patch?
23:32 wahanui which patch are we talking about?
23:32 jcamins I just pushed a patch to fix the printing of tables under FF.
23:33 jcamins Bug 10108.
23:33 wizzyrea 10108
23:33 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10108 major, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, Pushed to Master , can't print more than one page of overdues
23:33 wizzyrea it was broken as of yesterday in master
23:33 trea i haven't tested today in master to be fair
23:34 jcamins Right, but I pushed it today.
23:34 jcamins That's why I asked.
23:34 trea i suppose it's time to test again, innit.
23:36 jcamins I think you should be safe from me saying "didn't I just push a fix?" for a while now.
23:36 jcamins Well, other than bug 10030 which I'll look at shortly.
23:36 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10030 major, P5 - low, ---, kyle.m.hall, Passed QA , MaxFines checks against amount, not amount outstanding

| Channels | #koha index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | plain, newest first | summary