IRC log for #koha, 2012-03-25

All times shown according to UTC.

Time S Nick Message
00:20 luisb joined #koha
00:21 storypage__ joined #koha
00:22 luisb joined #koha
01:24 luisb joined #koha
01:26 storypage__ joined #koha
01:58 luisb joined #koha
02:16 storypage__ joined #koha
02:22 buster52 joined #koha
03:46 chris_n` joined #koha
03:47 stuartyeates joined #koha
03:52 chris_n` joined #koha
05:54 Oak joined #koha
05:54 Oak kia ora #koha
06:12 cait joined #koha
06:13 cait hi #koha
06:21 Oak hello cait
06:21 cait hello Oak :)
06:21 Oak :)
06:21 cait how did you test run go?
06:22 Oak there was a holiday on Friday, and on Saturday the university is closed, so...
06:22 cait ah
06:23 Oak but I did one book that night and it took me about 20 minutes. it was a Low Price Edition (Indian) and I could not find it's ISBN anywhere... on LOC, or Amazon etc.
06:23 Oak I mean it *had* an ISBN on back, but on Internet there was no detail related to that ISBN
06:24 Oak there was book with same title same edition on Internet - Amazon, LOC, but it had different no. of pages etc
06:24 cait hm
06:24 Oak be back in 15
06:54 Oak back
06:57 cait so test rn tomorrow?
06:58 Oak yes!
06:59 Oak sorry for annoying you that day... asking too many questions.
07:01 cait Oak, asking questions is ok :)
07:02 cait only a little hard to answer while at the hackfest
07:02 Oak yes
07:15 rangi coding guidelines
07:15 wahanui coding guidelines are[…]Coding_Guidelines
07:55 mbalmer joined #koha
09:57 Oak @wunder konstanz
09:57 huginn Oak: The current temperature in Taegerwilen, Taegerwilen, Germany is 11.9°C (11:54 AM CEST on March 25, 2012). Conditions: Clear. Humidity: 71%. Dew Point: 7.0°C. Pressure: 30.36 in 1028 hPa (Steady).
13:16 cait joined #koha
13:34 * cait waves
13:34 mbalmer hi cait
13:34 cait hi mbalmer
14:38 * jcamins_away decides to put a label "Jack not live/reterminate in lr" on the CATV jack in the bedroom.
14:42 jcamins_away Anyone here who has installed an F connector on coax recently?
14:45 * mbalmer doesn't even know what an F connector is, despite being a licensed radio amateur...
14:46 jcamins_away mbalmer: don't worry, I found someone on another channel who did.
14:47 cait glad you did
14:47 cait hope you are careful, we need our fudgemaker :)
14:54 cait-m__ joined #koha
15:06 jcamins_away I successfully closed the cable up, *without* needing to replace the connector.
15:16 cait_ joined #koha
15:17 cait-m joined #koha
15:19 cait-m left #koha
15:23 cait I guess that's good?
15:23 cait I killed the irc app on my phone
15:23 cait *sigh*
15:27 mbalmer as for KohaCon, I will arrive wednesday evening (one day of conference should be enough for a non librarian) and then stay for the hackfest.
15:27 mbalmer and leaving monday 11.
15:30 thatchmo joined #koha
15:39 chris_n mbalmer: what's your callsign?
15:39 mbalmer HB9SSB
15:39 chris_n KU4DD here
15:39 mtj ha, one from the vaults... ->[…]Lh4HK5JtYxUymNwho
15:39 chris_n SSB... nice
15:40 chris_n do much HF work?
15:40 mbalmer heh, cool to know there are other hams ;)  mostly QRP
15:40 mtj it sure is interesting to read the old mailing-lists archives with 20/20 hindsight
15:41 chris_n mbalmer: our campus club is in the process of putting up a ~30m of Rohn 55g with a very nice array of HF antennas at the top
15:41 jcamins KC2PZA. Never actually used a radio.
15:41 chris_n jcamins: cool
15:42 mbalmer chris_n, sounds really nice.
15:42 mbalmer jcamins, oh, one more ;)
15:42 chris_n a tornado took out the last one
15:47 chris_n "LibLime has, from our inception in 2005, contributed back 100% of the code
15:47 chris_n we've created because we believe in the community process and we strive to
15:47 chris_n set an example for other support organizations."
15:47 chris_n interesting bit of history
15:47 jcamins Hehe.
15:47 chris_n emphasis on the word "history"
15:49 cait yeah
15:51 chris_n interesting thread mtj
15:51 chris_n it screams in hindsight
15:57 mtj its pretty much the first hint of joshua's greedy plans to OWN KOHA!
15:58 mtj KOHA (tm) and (c)
16:00 cait mtj: are you looking for something? or why searching history? :)
16:01 mtj i was looking at the increase of bug traffic on ->[…]ve/listinfo/2BelB
16:01 cait ah
16:01 cait ohwow
16:01 cait we have been busy
16:02 mtj ... and got side-tracked by that fascinating trip down memory-lane ;)
16:04 mbalmer …  we've given everything we have to this community
16:04 mbalmer (quoted from above)
16:04 mtj and, oh - the 'general' koha mailing-list is missing from orange-archive ->[…]
16:06 cait mtj: but hopefully we have learned from it:[…]ark-usage-policy/
16:09 mbalmer is not beautiful.  imo it hurts the eye
16:16 mtj anyone that cant research the difference between and is probably not gonna do very well using Koha anyway :p
16:18 mbalmer when I started with Koha, I though was it, until I was pointed to  It is stupid they use, I think even for their customers.
16:18 jcamins mtj: but why would anyone look the difference up in the first place?
16:18 cait mtj: I think researching is perhaps not the problem - but people don't expect it to be 2 different things
16:18 mbalmer exactly.
16:19 mtj yeah, perhaps you are right !
16:19 mbalmer is takes as well.
16:20 mbalmer, too
16:20 jcamins Yup. The same company bought up ll the addresses like that.
16:20 jcamins too, I think.
16:20 mbalmer wow, even is registered.
16:21 mbalmer by a domain grabber
16:21 mbalmer that asshole want's EUR 1500 for
16:22 mtj ... its just a way for me not to get too upset about people probably seeing lib-stupid's site first , and thinking 'this is just a pretend open-source project run by a single company' bye bye...
16:22 mbalmer mtj, if you know open source, you soon realize that can't be it.
16:23 mbalmer but still.
16:23 chris_n interesting to see what josh has ended up doing:
16:23 mtj but... anyone that is slightly serious about Koha, usually finds the mailing-lists... then *reads* the mailing lists, and then works it out :)
16:24 mbalmer … or goes to and starts playing hockey...
16:25 mbalmer somehow koha is a bad name, it's some work in kosovo:
16:25 mtj chris_n:  my guess is not working in the open-source or ILS market ? :)
16:25 chris_n quote: "Traveling the world in search of sexy biotechnology projects with potential to improve human healthspan (healthy longevity)"
16:26 chris_n sounds sort of like a profession bum
16:27 mtj ... or a coca-cola(tm) sales-person ?
16:27 mbalmer or just a plain moron?
16:28 mbalmer "Angel Investor, Entrepreneur, Bio-hacker"
16:28 mtj hey, apple hired that pepsi guy, why not the other way round?!
16:30 mtj woo, i'm actually sposed to be doing some work now-ish... :/  i'm gonna switch back
16:31 mtj all this talk of sexy human potential is distracting me terribly
16:32 mtj ... sexy angels investing in improving my potential longevity
16:33 mbalmer and I'd like to know how to turn of the blue LED on the front panel of an Intermec EasyCoder PF4i printer...
16:34 mtj[…]pf4i/manuals.aspx
16:35 mbalmer I have the manuals, but there is no info on it.
16:36 jcamins mbalmer: soldering iron?
16:36 mbalmer yeah ;)
16:37 mtj ah, bummer :/   it sure looks like a snazzy little machine :)
16:39 cait mtj: for your bug - it's mapped to copyrightyear
16:39 cait and unimarc maps to publicationyear
16:39 cait in most places Koha accounts for that
16:39 cait but it is a bit of a mess... and if we want to change it, we have to take care of existing installations
16:40 cait bug 7822
16:40 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=7822 normal, P5 - low, ---, gmcharlt, NEW , bibitems.publicationyear is not mapped to 260$c for MARC21 frameworks
16:42 mtj cait:  hmm, i dont think so?    260$c is not mapped to anything, on my fresh 3.6.4 koha
16:42 cait hmm
16:42 cait weird, let me check
16:42 mtj i havent looked properly, it was just a quick-bug - so i did not forget.. :)
16:43 cait I had problems with that before
16:43 cait so thought to share what I found :)
16:43 mtj no probs... i'll look later too :)
16:44 cait[…]e1b469d1bc5#l1036
16:44 cait I checked - it is
16:44 cait perhaps you unmapped it by accident?
16:47 jcamins Ooh, "book" is trademarked by Facebook!
16:50 mtj cait: oops, you are right - yeah, i might have accidentally unmapped it :)
16:51 cait I still think you are right.... having the same mapping for unimarc and marc21 would be nice :(
16:51 cait only complicated to clean up
16:53 cait mtj: will you be in edinburgh? :)
16:55 cait I mean publicationyear would make more sense
16:57 mtj yeah, i agree
16:58 mtj and no for scotland  -  i was planning on coming... but have recently decided not too :/
16:59 mtj i still feel like i've just got back from india!
16:59 mtj specifically around my tummy area :p
17:01 slef hi all
17:07 cait mtj: ooh :(
17:07 cait mtj: we would all help you with your diet if you decide to come :)
17:07 cait hi slef :)
17:09 mtj a  traditional scottish diet of  deep-fried chocolate-bars and whiskey :)
17:10 cait hehe
17:11 cait I take the chocolate bars away from you
17:11 cait perhaps rangi would volunteer for the whisky
17:12 mtj no nooo... lets *share* the chocolate bar :)
17:13 cait ok, deal ;)
17:14 mtj hmm - chris and robin are coming, from catalyst... i'm not sure about other nz-ers?
17:14 mtj (but you knew that :) )
17:14 cait there was someone on the mailing list
17:14 cait I don't rmemeber the name
17:15 cait but saying that flights were booked
17:15 mtj oh yeah, dianna from opus-nz
17:15 cait not sure about others
17:15 cait but pretty good representation already :)
17:17 mbalmer booked my flights today.
17:20 cait booked mine the week before marseille
17:31 Guillaume joined #koha
17:44 Guillaume left #koha
18:16 gmcharlt #startmeeting
18:16 huginn Meeting started Sun Mar 25 18:15:41 2012 UTC.  The chair is gmcharlt. Information about MeetBot at
18:16 huginn Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
18:16 gmcharlt #topic cake, or pie?
18:16 Topic for #koha is now cake, or pie?
18:16 gmcharlt #info test of logging change
18:17 gmcharlt #action no decision on cake vs. pie ...
18:17 gmcharlt #endmeeting
18:17 Topic for #koha is now 3.6.4 and 3.4.8 and 3.2.11 Now Available || Koha Community Website - || Koha Community Official IRC Channel || Paste -
18:17 huginn Meeting ended Sun Mar 25 18:16:46 2012 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at . (v 0.1.4)
18:17 huginn Minutes:        http://meetings.koha-community[…]-03-25-18.15.html
18:17 huginn Minutes (text): http://meetings.koha-community[…]2-03-25-18.15.txt
18:17 huginn Log:            http://meetings.koha-community[…]25-18.15.log.html
18:37 slef cake!
18:37 slef @marc 952
18:37 wahanui The 952 field is used by Koha to store item data in MARC21 and is described at[…]_fields_%289xx%29
18:37 huginn slef: unknown tag 952
18:37 mtj gmcharlt: looks promising :)
18:38 mtj and a little mod_rewrite tweak too, even? :)
18:46 rangi Gmcharlt++
18:47 * rangi reads back
18:47 cait gmcharlt++ was looking at the new website - nice
18:48 cait morning rangi :)
18:48 gmcharlt I've also updated the copyright footer on
18:49 rangi The good about ptfs registering koha domains is we now have policy do ppl should know not to do it again
18:55 rangi Slef: I get into Scotland 8pm night before conf so won't be much help setting up but happy to do anything else to help
18:56 slef rangi: cool. We'll be in touch. An email to kohacon12 or ideally kohacon12volunteers would help me remember
18:56 gmcharlt mtj: yep, there's a redirect in place now
18:57 rangi Will do
18:59 * slef returns to fighting with Text::CSV::Encoded
18:59 rangi Good luck
19:00 cait slef: I will be around too - arrive shortly before rangi and robin
19:00 mtj ive just done my 1st bib import using rangi and eythian's script
19:00 mtj it went very very smoothly
19:00 cait eythian++ rangi++ mtj++ :)
19:01 slef mtj: this CSV has lots of encoding problems.
19:01 rangi Slef: using fixation?
19:01 rangi Hmm autocorrect
19:01 rangi Fixlatin
19:02 slef it's some child of latin-15 and Windows
19:02 mtj[…]7b0b9b7f0d79e4867
19:02 slef that is mislabelled as utf8
19:02 cait eeew
19:02 * cait sends cookies
19:03 rangi Grant from work has a module on cpan Fixlatin that does a good job of cleaning stuff like that
19:04 slef I think I've sorted the encodings now. The remaining problems look like unescaped quotes. Now reading Text::CSV_XS's options to see what might help.
19:04 slef allow_loose_quotes I think
19:12 slef :) no errors now :)
19:15 cait yay :)
19:26 libsysguy joined #koha
19:31 jcamins_away What's the wiki that liw wrote?
19:31 jcamins_away ikiwiki.
19:32 jcamins_away Thanks.
19:32 liw I didn't write it, Joey Hess (joeyh) did that; I just help him run
19:32 jcamins_away Well, you just got credit anyway. :)
19:33 liw :)
19:45 Soupermanito joined #koha
19:48 rangi there's nothing that joeyh wrote that isn't cool
19:50 mbalmer ikiwiki isn't cool
19:52 cait you know, you could have tried... I don't like it so much, because...
20:00 mbalmer cait ??
20:00 wahanui That's Ms. Cait to you! or in a very good mood today :)
20:01 cait yes?
20:08 libsysguy libsysguy
20:08 wahanui rumour has it libsysguy is Koha's hottest developer or partying with swedes on his deck
20:09 * libsysguy darts off for a run bbl
20:15 sekjal joined #koha
20:22 kathryn joined #koha
20:25 rangi hey sekjal
20:25 sekjal hey, rangi
20:27 cait hi sekjal
20:28 sekjal hi, cait
20:28 sekjal how you both today?
20:28 sekjal s/how/how are/
20:28 sekjal (sometimes verbs are important)
20:28 cait getting ready for more travelling
20:28 cait :)
20:28 rangi and im reading emails and figuring out what to tackle first today
20:29 sekjal cait:  where to?
20:30 cait ah
20:30 cait ah workshop in göttingen
20:30 cait s/ah/a
20:30 sekjal cool
20:32 sekjal I'm settled back home from the conference in DC, and figured I'd throw some time at QA
20:32 sekjal the queue is back up near 30
20:32 sekjal mostly Plack stuff, though
20:32 rangi doesnt take long eh
20:33 jcamins_away Printer's dead.
20:33 jcamins_away Right after replacing a cartridge, too.
20:33 sekjal jcamins_away:  boooo
20:33 jcamins_away Paper feed broke into many little pieces.
20:34 jcamins_away At least I didn't do that with the cartridge replacement. :)
20:34 cait at leas tnow oyu won't have to move it
20:35 cait sekjal: oh, I have a patch to send
20:35 cait good you remind me :)
20:35 libsysguy_run bug 5339
20:35 wahanui bug 5339 is looking for a second sign off :)
20:35 sekjal :)
20:35 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=5339 enhancement, P3, ---, julian.maurice, Needs Signoff , Parcel closing in acq
20:35 libsysguy_run I think i can sign off on this one unless its out of date again
20:36 libsysguy what is the rule for that, basically everytime or .tt gets changed this thing gets a conflict
20:36 libsysguy I think it has been rebased like 4-5 times
20:36 libsysguy is it just an automatic fail if there is a conflict?
20:37 cait hm
20:37 cait not for updatedatabase
20:37 libsysguy well it conflicts on that as well
20:37 cait if the conflict is easy to resolve I would do it I think
20:37 libsysguy but that is always in conflict :p
20:37 cait but I think at the moment it conflicts because of a new feature I added
20:37 cait in moredetail
20:38 libsysguy ohh
20:38 libsysguy @wunder 75707
20:38 huginn libsysguy: The current temperature in Lake Tyler (D3895), Tyler, Texas is 26.9°C (3:37 PM CDT on March 25, 2012). Conditions: Clear. Humidity: 37%. Dew Point: 11.0°C. Pressure: 30.04 in 1017 hPa (Falling).
20:39 cait @wunder göttingen
20:39 huginn cait: The current temperature in Steinbach, Germany is 9.7°C (10:00 PM CEST on March 25, 2012). Conditions: Clear. Humidity: 62%. Dew Point: 3.0°C. Windchill: 9.0°C. Pressure: 30.45 in 1031 hPa (Steady).
20:58 sekjal @wunder 01373
20:58 huginn sekjal: The current temperature in Plain Road East, South Deerfield, Massachusetts is 10.4°C (4:34 PM EDT on March 25, 2012). Conditions: Overcast. Humidity: 76%. Dew Point: 6.0°C. Pressure: 29.79 in 1009 hPa (Falling).
20:59 bag @wunder 93109
20:59 huginn bag: The current temperature in K6LCM-Westside/Mesa, Santa Barbara, California is 12.4°C (1:58 PM PDT on March 25, 2012). Conditions: Light Rain. Humidity: 95%. Dew Point: 12.0°C. Pressure: 29.80 in 1009 hPa (Falling).
20:59 bag rainy here
20:59 sekjal grey here, raining off and on… 'off' at the moment
21:06 bag yeah same here - off and on
21:06 bag on currently
21:11 rangi 185 bugs marked signed off in march
21:11 rangi 137 passed qa
21:11 rangi not bad at all :) and still 6 days to go
21:11 magnus_afk yay!
21:12 rangi hey magnus_afk :)
21:13 magnus_afk kia ora rangi
21:15 sekjal rangi:  very much looking forward to seeing the stats come months end
21:16 cait :)
21:16 magnus_afk yeah! :-)
21:17 rangi well it will no suprise who has the most sign offs
21:17 magnus_afk yeah, gonna be hard to beat you know who :-)
21:27 cait yeah, you know who is awesome
21:28 cait-m joined #koha
21:28 bag voldemort?
21:29 cait-m Hm not exactly
21:31 bag :P
21:32 sekjal lot of patches to read for bug 7760
21:32 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=7760 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, katrin.fischer, Signed Off , Add ids and classes to every staff page to help with customizaton
21:32 Irma joined #koha
21:34 bag has anybody tried the wip/koha-equinox branch for DOM yet?
21:34 bag I haven't - but hopefully tomorrow I will be able to pull it and test :D
21:37 rangi sekjal: theyve all been pushed i think[…]oha.git;a=summary
21:37 rangi or at least a lot have
21:37 sekjal hmmm
21:37 rangi i think that bug has the wrong status
21:38 cait which bug?
21:38 sekjal paperwork snafu
21:38 sekjal anyway, it's passed QA
21:38 cait sekjal: the last one
21:38 wahanui rumour has it the last one is the first one if you look backwards
21:38 cait is missing
21:38 cait I forgot the pages that were not in directories
21:38 cait about, main page and login
21:40 sekjal it's all good, cait.  I wish the bug status had been updated… would have saved me some time
21:40 sekjal oh well, on to the next thing
21:40 cait oh
21:40 cait yeah, we should have obsoleted the patches
21:40 cait I will do that
21:41 eythian hi
21:41 cait hi mr robin
21:41 cait :)
21:45 sekjal is there an issue with putting an [% IF %] inside an HTML tag?  I thought I remembered that...
21:45 cait yes
21:45 cait something like
21:46 cait [if sth]checked=checked[end] is not good
21:46 Irma g'day #koha
21:46 cait hi irma :)
21:46 Irma congratulations for last week's work!
21:46 sekjal cait: do you recall why?  does it break translations?
21:47 cait yes
21:47 sekjal k, thank you, will note that on bug 7757
21:47 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=7757 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, henridamien, Signed Off , Edit basket vendor after it has been created
21:47 cait I think exactly this case would not break translation, but it would make the tests complain for sure
21:47 sekjal hi, Irma!
21:47 cait you can run the test
21:47 cait to make sure if it does or not
21:47 Irma hi sekjal, cait ...
21:47 cait hi Irma :)
21:48 Irma cait OK for a quick question?
21:49 cait a quick one :)
21:49 Irma about "see also"
21:49 cait it's getting a bit late
21:49 cait oh, jared might be the better one to answer that
21:49 Irma I C
21:49 Irma in which version is it possible?
21:50 Irma will it be possible?
21:50 cait what is your question irma?
21:57 jcamins_away I an here a minute.
21:57 cait the question was about searching the see also forms
21:57 cait :)
21:58 * cait can't wait to see tha tworking too
21:58 jcamins_away I have a bug bit no funding yet.
21:58 cait all will be nice once we have dom indexing :)
21:58 cait heh
21:59 jcamins_away Indeed.
22:09 cait night all :)
22:09 cait left #koha
22:14 eythian anyone know anything about displaying abstract or notes on the search results screen? Apparently part way through a migration I had it doing that by accident and after cleaning things up, it stopped happening and they want it back.
22:16 slef eythian: xslt?
22:16 wahanui i guess xslt is a maze of twisty turny passages, all alike.
22:19 eythian slef: yeah, that's what I'm probably going to do.
22:36 sekjal huh.  we have a LOT of exit(1); lines in reports/*.pl
22:36 sekjal I don't think that's right
22:40 rangi yeah
22:42 Space_Librarian joined #koha
22:43 Space_Librarian o/
22:45 sekjal hi, Space_Librarian
22:45 Space_Librarian hey sekjal
23:02 slef @marc 852
23:02 huginn slef: Identifies the organization holding the item or from which it is available. May also contain detailed information about how to locate the item in a collection. (Repeatable) [a,b,c,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,p,q,s,t,u,x,z,2,3,6,8]
23:02 slef @marc 852 a
23:02 huginn slef: Location The institution or person holding the item or from which access is given. Contains a MARC code for the organization or the name of the institution or person holding the item.See Organization Code Sources for a listing of sources used in MARC 21 records.
23:03 slef @marc 852 z
23:03 huginn slef: Public note  (Repeatable)
23:03 slef @marc 852 t
23:03 huginn slef: Copy number A copy number or a range of numbers for copies that have the same location and call number when the holdings information does not contain an 863-865 Enumeration and Chronology field that contains subfield $t (Copy number).
23:03 slef bah
23:03 slef marc21?
23:03 wahanui marc21 is at[…]hic/ecbdlist.html ,
23:04 libsysguy sekjal how goes the QA-ing
23:04 sekjal libsysguy:  going okay
23:04 libsysguy stuff failing?
23:04 sekjal not much
23:05 sekjal lots of template change and place modifications
23:05 sekjal which are easy to test
23:05 libsysguy I was jw, i saw earlier where there was a lot in the QAQ
23:19 jransom joined #koha
23:46 sekjal k, gotta go get dinner ready
23:46 sekjal cheers, #koha

| Channels | #koha index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | plain, newest first | summary