IRC log for #koha, 2010-08-06

All times shown according to UTC.

Time S Nick Message
00:26 cfouts left #koha
00:45 chris_n` joined #koha
00:48 chris_n left #koha
00:51 Johnindy left #koha
00:54 chris_n joined #koha
00:54 pianohack left #koha
00:56 chris_n` left #koha
02:04 wasabi im still really inspired by how much the perl devs continue to evolve perl
02:04 wasabi i dont think theres ever been another language thats gone thru such a re-think
02:06 wasabi "Perl5 also had this built in. Just use the debugger and type x \%hash. Then you don't have to put in Data::Dumper and print statements and then have to take them out."
02:06 wasabi thats a new one for me..
02:06 chris lots of scripts, dont lend themselves to the debugger
02:06 chris (as the next comment points out)
02:06 chris pretty much all our cgi ones don;t
02:07 chris not easily anyway
02:07 wasabi right, i click to that comment even..
02:27 indradg left #koha
02:40 wasabi friday fun....
02:40 wasabi[…]2010/aug/02/4179/
02:41 wasabi poi-gloves ;)
02:42 chris heh
02:43 chris thats quite clever
02:43 wasabi that one's for you hunny.. ;)
02:45 wasabi ahh , its worth watching again for the ending - some of those kids are flyinggg up there!
02:47 chris whenever i see a bad haka like that
02:47 chris i have to go watch a real one :)
02:47 chris like
02:47 chris
02:48 wasabi ha, i love the bad ones even more!
02:48 wasabi such a mixed-bag of performance/confidence...
02:48 chris :)
02:49 wasabi everyones a star, in their own little way
02:50 robin reminds me, did you see this:[…]l-blacks/3997100/
02:50 robin thought that was a great way to prank kids :)
02:50 chris yeah that was fun ;)
02:50 wasabi oooh, your ones the real-deal!
02:51 wasabi so fierce !
02:52 chris is pretty cool too, specially at about the 3min mark
02:52 wasabi i would def. make a a lego character out of that!
02:52 chris heh
02:54 wasabi that little chubby guy in the middle - 1st row, my fav..
02:55 chris yeah hes right into it
02:55 wasabi cheers for that!
02:57 wasabi and robin too, tis a sweet-hack, that one :)
03:08 Amit joined #koha
03:08 Amit heya chris
03:08 chris hi Amit
03:29 wasabi heya amit
03:29 Amit heya mason
03:44 wasabi anyone know of a good plugin to wordpress to handle code-pastes ?
03:47 wasabi this perhaps ->[…]-code-formatting/
03:48 Oak joined #koha
03:55 mib_waorx joined #koha
03:57 richard left #koha
04:02 richard joined #koha
04:18 mib_waorx left #koha
04:54 braedon|h joined #koha
05:08 richard left #koha
05:18 cait joined #koha
05:23 darling left #koha
05:27 cait hi all
06:01 Oak left #koha
06:07 Oak joined #koha
06:34 cait left #koha
06:48 magnus joined #koha
06:48 alex_a joined #koha
06:49 chris evening
06:50 hdl joined #koha
06:56 magnus morning
07:23 kf joined #koha
07:23 kf good morning #koha
07:38 hdl hi
07:39 kf hi hdl
07:50 kf is now known as kf_mtg
07:58 magnus hiya hdl, kf et al
08:06 Oak left #koha
08:28 hdl left #koha
08:37 hdl joined #koha
08:45 davi joined #koha
08:57 hdl left #koha
08:57 davi left #koha
09:02 hdl joined #koha
09:02 Oak joined #koha
09:10 davi joined #koha
09:17 kf_mtg hi magnus
09:17 kf_mtg is now known as kf
09:18 chris @wunder wellington,nz
09:18 munin chris: The current temperature in Wellington, New Zealand is 12.0�C (9:00 PM NZST on August 06, 2010). Conditions: Scattered Clouds. Humidity: 72%. Dew Point: 7.0�C. Pressure: 29.92 in 1013 hPa (Falling).
09:20 kf hi chris
09:20 kf @wunder Konstanz
09:20 munin kf: The current temperature in Taegerwilen, Taegerwilen, Germany is 15.8�C (11:26 AM CEST on August 06, 2010). Conditions: Mostly Cloudy. Humidity: 74%. Dew Point: 11.0�C. Pressure: 30.05 in 1017.5 hPa (Steady).
09:20 chris hi kf
09:27 magnus @wunder bodo, norway
09:27 munin magnus: The current temperature in Bodo, Norway is 18.0�C (11:20 AM CEST on August 06, 2010). Conditions: Mostly Cloudy. Humidity: 73%. Dew Point: 13.0�C. Pressure: 29.95 in 1014 hPa (Steady).
09:28 magnus hah!
09:30 kf hah?
09:31 kf ah, Bodo is warmest?
09:31 kf It's still summer and I am sitting at my desk with s-shirt and pullover :(
09:44 magnus i know the feeling
09:48 magnus actually, the fog has been hanging low in my neck of the woods today, so it's not quite as warm as munin thinks, but it's clearing up now, so hopefully...
10:00 alex_a left #koha
10:30 davi left #koha
10:31 moodaepo left #koha
10:34 davi joined #koha
10:36 moodaepo joined #koha
10:38 davi left #koha
11:03 alex_a joined #koha
11:04 Oak left #koha
11:11 moodaepo left #koha
11:17 hdl left #koha
11:23 hdl joined #koha
11:28 jwagner joined #koha
11:47 Amit heya kf jwagner
11:49 kf hi Amit
11:51 jwagner Hi Amit
11:51 jwagner and kf
11:52 moodaepo joined #koha
11:52 kf hi jwagner :)
11:56 jwagner Hey, Amit -- since you're here... You sent a patch on January 20 for a Lexile search on the OPAC advanced search page.  I can't find any indication that it was ever pushed. Do you know what happened to it?
12:01 schuster joined #koha
12:01 Amit jwagner: hmm i don't know i have to check RM
12:02 Amit jwagner: i m also making lexile/reading level search with system preferences
12:04 jwagner Amit, sounds interesting.  I'll keep an eye out for it.
12:06 Amit jwagner: sure
12:07 Amit happy weekend to all
12:07 Amit left #koha
12:11 jwagner Can someone test a scenario for me on a current head server?  I tested on mine but I'm not entirely sure I had it set up right.
12:11 jwagner If an item belonging to another branch is checked out to a patron, then checked in at a different branch, the system properly triggers a transfer message.  However, if the item was not actually checked out, but run through checkin at a different branch, it doesn't trigger the transfer message
12:15 saorge left #koha
12:16 saorge joined #koha
12:18 owen joined #koha
12:24 owen Do people like the modal MARC view offered in the OPAC when XSLT is on?
12:26 * owen is mostly surprised by it because he was expecting to see the standard MARC view
12:27 * owen wonders what problem was being solved by its introduction
12:27 Nate joined #koha
12:30 jwagner owen, "modal MARC view" ?
12:30 owen When XSLT is on, you have two MARC view tabs in the OPAC. MARC View and Expanded MARC View
12:30 jwagner Yes
12:31 owen The one I refer to is what is labeled "MARC View" when XSLT is on
12:31 CGI811 joined #koha
12:31 CGI811 left #koha
12:31 owen
12:31 jwagner Oh, OK -- you're talking about the child window, not the MARC layout itself?
12:32 collum joined #koha
12:32 owen I'm talking about the modal window view, not
12:33 jwagner The child window has certainly been a source of irritation -- once you've opened it, the browser back button doesn't work as expected.
12:33 * owen had never noticed that.  A new thing to be annoyed by!
12:33 jwagner A lot of my users have noticed it.  Loudly.
12:36 owen I should ask the Koha mailing list who likes it and why
12:51 owen jwagner: Your question about check-ins triggering transfers?
12:51 sekjal joined #koha
12:51 owen What you describe sounds like the behavior we've observed in our live Koha system which is behind HEAD by a few months
12:52 owen If it still does that in HEAD then I'll be disappointed.
12:53 * owen is disappointed.
12:54 jwagner That's what I'm trying to identify -- where the problem came in.
12:54 owen Bug 3536
12:54 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=3536 blocker, PATCH-Sent, ---, chris, ASSIGNED, Checked In item requiring transfer does not consistently trigger transfer prompt
12:54 sekjal jwagner: I'm seeing consistant behaviour with that on some of my systems, as well
12:54 jwagner At current head?
12:54 sekjal yes
12:55 sekjal well, okay, 4-5 commits back
12:55 jwagner That's what I wasn't sure of -- not sure I had my policies etc. correct on my head test server.
12:55 owen gmcharlt: Do you know anything about the patch pending for that bug?
12:55 sekjal it seems to be related somehow to HomeorHoldingBranch
12:55 jwagner If you'll forgive the mention :-) the system functions correctly iN LEK, but not at our harley level and not in current head
12:56 jwagner So whatever broke it happened roughly between March (?) 2009 and October 2009
12:56 owen Hm, then the fix probably contains sensitive customer data.
12:56 jwagner Hah
12:58 jwagner Has anyone applied the patch in that bug report?
12:59 owen it doesn't apply because of a conflict
13:00 * owen will try to edit
13:00 * owen tosses in some social security numbers for good measure
13:01 gmcharlt owen: try the  bug_3536_holeorholdbranchreturn branch
13:01 * gmcharlt notices that he mangled the branch name, but anyway
13:01 gmcharlt would appreciate testing - you'd have to add the syspref manually
13:02 owen "When set to 0, check-ins get dropped down a hole"
13:05 owen Hmm... Why am I not seeing that branch listed?
13:05 sekjal owen:[…]-rm.git;a=summary
13:06 briceSanc joined #koha
13:07 briceSanc hello
13:09 briceSanc Do you have the same problem : If i use Pazpar2, the advanced search page is unavailable.
13:11 sekjal gmcharlt: branch pulled down, and I'm beginning testing
13:13 jcamins_a is now known as jcamins
13:13 jcamins Good morning, #koha
13:14 * chris_n grumbles about his coffee being cold
13:17 magnus left #koha
13:17 jcamins Has anyone contacted the general ndmso mailbox at LC about machine-readable MARC21 specs?
13:18 owen What are the two different HomeOrHoldingBranchReturn options supposed to do?
13:18 tomascohe joined #koha
13:19 tomascohe is now known as tcohen
13:20 * jwagner has to run off to another meeting now :-(
13:20 owen One option initiates a transfer and the other does not?
13:20 jwagner is now known as jwag_mtg
13:21 owen ...and how is this new preference related to the existing " AutomaticItemReturn " one?
13:22 sekjal just ran through a quick batch of tests on the patch.
13:24 sekjal settings: two libraries A and B.  Item from A.  Patron from A.  Did not manually add the new syspref before hand.
13:24 sekjal checkout A, return B => transfer message
13:24 sekjal checkout B, return B => transfer message
13:24 sekjal checkout B, return A => no message
13:25 briceSanc good morning jcamins !
13:26 briceSanc Do you have the same problem : If i use Pazpar2, the advanced search page is unavailable.
13:28 chris_n briceSanc: I ran into that problem yesterday, but did not have time to investigate
13:28 chris_n maybe check to verify pazpar is running
13:32 briceSanc pazpar is running. the problem is if i use "OpacGroupResults" in System Preferences, i can't go to "Advanced search" in OPAC, the system return "No Result found!" instead of "Search for: keyword..."
13:35 jcamins owen++ # for enlittling the OPAC's login form and explaining how to do it
13:35 owen :)
13:35 * owen is still waiting for "enlittling" to catch on
13:37 sekjal ran the tests for bug 3536 again, with homeorholdingbranch set to the other value.  Same results as above
13:37 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=3536 blocker, PATCH-Sent, ---, chris, ASSIGNED, Checked In item requiring transfer does not consistently trigger transfer prompt
13:45 tcohen hi every1, if I want to construct a query for an specific branch do I have to append branch:'branchcode' to my query? or isn't that enough?
13:46 tcohen (using zebra of course, from the staff interface)
13:53 sekjal next round of testing: homeorholdingbranch = home, homeorholdingbranchreturn = holding
13:53 sekjal checkout A, return B => msg: transfer to A
13:54 sekjal checkout B, return B => no message
13:54 sekjal checkout B, return A => kind of messed up
13:54 sekjal first a message to return to A, and it's marked in transit A to B.
13:55 briceSanc bug 5099
13:55 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=5099 blocker, P5, ---, gmcharlt, NEW, Avanced Search page unavailable when OpacGroupResults is used
13:55 sekjal checking in again changes the message to return to B, transit message stays the same
13:55 sekjal checking in at B clears it, and item rests with homebranch = A, holdingbranch = B
14:01 * jwag_mtg checks back in between meetings
14:02 jwag_mtg sekjal, so if an item is not checked out but is run through checkin at other than its owning branch, does it now trigger the transfer warning?
14:02 sekjal jwag_mtg: depends on the setting of HomeOrHoldingBranchReturn, I believe
14:03 sekjal I've been testing checkout/checkin scenarios
14:03 sekjal which in some cases trigger a transfer message, resulting in a second checkin
14:03 sekjal or, in one case so far, a third checkin is required to get the item to 'settle down'
14:04 jwag_mtg But the theory would be that if the syspref is set to home branch, and an item is not checked out to a patron but is floating around the ether, so to speak, is found & checked in at a different branch, it should trigger the transfer warning?
14:05 sekjal I'm not sure the intention of the syspref in that regard, but I believe that that is a fair statement
14:05 sekjal there are way too many system preferences that seem like they should be factored into this
14:05 ebegin joined #koha
14:06 sekjal HomeOrHoldingBranch, CircControl, AutomaticItemReturn, and now HomeOrHoldingBranchReturn
14:08 jwag_mtg Why doesn't AutomaticItemReturn make it work properly?
14:08 sekjal ::shrug::
14:09 sekjal this is starting to look to me like a situation where we may want to pull this out of sysprefs, and into it's own Admin page
14:09 sekjal providing a matrix where libraries can configure these behaviours to their liking
14:10 sekjal not volunteering to do this project, mind you
14:10 jwag_mtg Oh, darn :-)
14:10 jwag_mtg Anyway, thanks for testing.  If I can get our dev team to free up some time, I'll get them to put this on one of our servers & check it too.
14:11 sekjal checking in a book from Library A whilst at Library B yields no message (with HomeorHoldingBranchReturn = holding)
14:11 sekjal but it does change the holding branch to Library B
14:11 owen sekjal: It would help if we knew what the two options were *supposed* to do
14:12 owen I still don't understand why these cases shouldn't be covered by the AutomaticItemReturn preference.
14:13 jwag_mtg So maybe the simpler fix would be to make the checkin obey AutomaticItemReturn?
14:13 sekjal changing HomeorHoldingBranchReturn to 'home' does not change the behaviour I just described
14:13 sekjal yeah, I'd like to see a spec on what the intended behaviour options are and how to set them
14:13 sekjal makes it easier to determine if the code 'works'
14:14 sekjal my testing at this point is purely descriptive
14:15 jwag_mtg But very useful. Thanks.
14:15 sekjal gladly :)
14:16 * jwag_mtg has to run off to the next meeting now....
14:16 jwag_mtg At least there's only two scheduled today.  Yesterday I had four scheduled and one unscheduled meeting.  When am I supposed to get any WORK done???
14:17 sekjal jwag_mtg: ugh.  that's horrid.  hopefully they were informative/productive meetings...
14:17 jwag_mtg In themselves, yes.  But after about the second or third of the day, my brain turns to mush, so it's questionable how much I (a) contributed or (b) remembered....
14:22 sekjal egad, I really don't want to think of the complexities that holds will introduce into this whole testing process...
14:59 davi joined #koha
15:10 pianohack joined #koha
15:12 kf left #koha
15:15 alex_a left #koha
15:19 hdl left #koha
15:21 mib_ytk71 joined #koha
15:22 jwag_mtg is now known as jwagner
15:22 mib_ytk71 left #koha
15:27 brendan joined #koha
15:36 jwagner got another puzzler for you all, to make your Friday more interesting :-)
15:37 jcamins Hi, we're back, it's Click and Clack the Tapper Brothers...
15:37 jcamins Wait, sorry. I got confused by the puzzler.
15:37 jcamins :D
15:37 jwagner One of my sites has autobarcode on (increment).  They are saying that sometimes when they create an item with a barcode, use the label designer to print the barcode, then try to check it out, the barcode has changed.
15:37 jwagner The autobarcode in itself shouldn't require zebra to catch up with the new item, right?
15:38 jwagner My theory is that they are in item creation but haven't saved yet, and in the meantime someone else is creating an item that grabs the same barcode.  Is that possible?
15:38 owen jwagner: Why not test it?
15:38 jwagner I don't know of any way the same barcode can get assigned to a different item.
15:39 owen Open up two sessions and create items on the same record
15:39 jwagner (Correction). They notice that the barcode belongs to a different item/title when they try to check it out, not at the label stage.
15:39 jwagner owen, I was trying to test it with them just now, will keep trying.  It doesn't happen every time.
15:40 jwagner I wanted to confirm that the autobarcode piece (the incrementing number) doesn't require zebra to catch up -- it just checks what the last highest number was & goes from there.
15:40 cait joined #koha
15:42 owen to confirm that, you have to look at where in the code the barcode is getting auto-generated
15:42 ebegin concerning barcode, is there a way to force a prefix?  I would like my barcode to have 8 digits, prefixed with zeros
15:46 jcamins cait: I was just thinking about you. Have you filed any bug reports about linking on 773s?
15:47 cait thinking about me sounded nice--- until I reached the 773's :)
15:47 cait let me check
15:47 jcamins cait: I was thinking all good things about you.
15:48 jcamins Actually, what I was thinking was "won't cait be happy when she hears that I found someone who might be interested in dealing with analytics!"
15:48 chris_n ebegin: there is a somewhat broken plugin system
15:48 chris_n ebegin: autoBarcode follows it
15:48 cait I have no special bug report for 773 - is this host item something?
15:49 chris_n ebegin: so you "might" be able to write a plugin to do that
15:49 jcamins Yup, even the official name for the 773 field sounds ominous.
15:49 cait bug 4506 is involved
15:49 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=4506 enhancement, P5, ---, katrin.fischer, NEW, Add support of record linking by record control number in $w
15:49 ebegin chris_n, yeah, that what I'm looking for.,
15:49 chris_n jwagner: the code just does a select max on the barcode column iirc
15:49 ebegin I'm looking at the code right now
15:50 chris_n so zebra really has no bearing on the next barcode value
15:50 jwagner chris_n, yes, I think I found the relevant code in C4/Form/
15:50 jwagner select max( abs( barcode ) ) from items"
15:50 jwagner then increment it by one.
15:50 chris_n well, you'll need to check the plugin code as well
15:50 jwagner Thanks -- wanted to rule out the zebra catchup delay as a possible factor.
15:50 chris_n iirc
15:50 * chris_n has not been there in quite some time
15:51 chris_n the whole plugin logic needs to be reworked
15:52 cait jcamins: I checked my specs - yes, wanted to work on 773. we have $w fields in there with links to the other record
15:52 * chris_n quites ranting and heads off to spend the weekend with is wife on their 16th anniversary
15:52 jwagner Yes, C4/ has quite different-looking code -- I'm not quite following it, but it still seems to be just incrementing the existing highest value.
15:52 * jwagner wishes chris_n and his wife another happy 16 years at least!
15:53 chris_n jwagner: there is another section of code as well
15:53 jwagner Yikes!
15:53 * chris_n looks quickly
15:53 jwagner I see some reference in the value builder script
15:53 jcamins cait: a friend of mine has indicated that he might potentially be willing to tackle at least some of the linking issues in 7xx and 8xx fields.
15:53 sekjal cait: I'm working on some specs for that kinda development, too
15:54 cait cool
15:54 sekjal the goal being to allow us to link two bibliographic records together in user-configurable relationships
15:54 sekjal 773 being an example of a common one
15:54 cait perhaps we can talk about it sometime, I started work on it, changed the frameworks and added an index for $w fields, this dev is done
15:54 sekjal cait: awesome!
15:55 jcamins My friend is still introducing himself to the Koha codebase, but I thought you might appreciate the thought that you're not alone.
15:55 cait I sent most patches, and they are on the bug too
15:55 sekjal cait: I'll take a look
15:55 cait I have one more patch adding the fields to the German frameworks - they were not added to koha when I started to work on it
15:55 chris_n jwagner: see here ->[…]0de88;hb=HEAD#l88
15:56 chris_n I think that trumps all other code
15:56 cait sekjal: I also have xslt code done by my boss - I kind of inherited this project from him
15:56 cait jcamins: I do :)
15:56 chris_n jwagner: and the problem described in the comment at line 89 has happened more than once here
15:56 cait jcamins: what I don't appreciate is the lack of time to work on that project :(
15:57 * chris_n wishes everyone a good weekend
15:57 owen Wonders if Koha wouldn't simply warn of a duplicate barcode in that case?
15:57 chris_n owen: it does
15:58 chris_n one then has to backup and fix it
15:58 owen So that's not what jwagner's problem is.
15:58 chris_n before the record will save
15:58 owen Unless she's dealing with an issue we can't know about because of her non-standard codebase
15:58 chris_n the whole barcode autogeneration code stinks at present imho
15:59 chris_n joe started to work toward a fix, but did not get far iirc
15:59 chris_n ok, bye for real this time ;-)
15:59 jwagner chris_n, that sounds more like what's happening.  I've asked them to gather me some more info, like asking other staff if they're cataloging at the same time.
15:59 jwagner (and owen, non-standard codebase has nothing to do with the problem....)
16:00 owen Then why aren't your librarians getting a duplicate barcode warning?
16:01 jwagner I don't know.  I think in some cases they are, but other cases it doesn't seem to happen.  But we haven't touched that code at all with any of our features.
16:01 owen My caveat is generic, since there's no way for me to know.
16:02 jcamins jwagner: could they be getting the warning and automatically fixing it, after printing labels (we don't use Koha's barcode generation at all, so I don't really know anything about how it works)?
16:02 jwagner It doesn't help that the person who's actually been experiencing the problem wasn't the one describing/demonstrating it to me :-(
16:03 jcamins I am thinking about my experiences on tech support, and that sort of thing would happen all the time "oh, yeah, there was that problem, but we fixed it."
16:04 jwagner The steps they describe are (1) create item, complete with autogenerated barcode, (2) create batch in label creator & print it, (3) go to circ, checkout & try to check it out.  At that point, entering the barcode pulls up a different title/item record -- same barcode assigned to different item/title.
16:04 jwagner Right now I'm at the "ask them for more info" stage, but trying to rule out the obvious, like the zebra delay.
16:07 cait sekjal: we have all those $w links and hierarchical records in our data from the union catalog. our library really needs the links to show in opac and staff. but it has been a time problem for me
16:09 cait my specs are German and not really human readable at the moment, so they need some work before I could share them.
16:12 brendan left #koha
16:15 * jwagner is refraining from comment on German plus not human readable :-) I had enough trouble trying to learn to SPEAK German -- reading it was even worse....
16:16 * jcamins confesses he doesn't know any German, although he's starting to recognize a word here and there. Such as "gesamtkunstwerk."
16:17 pianohack jcamins: Have you learned the uppercase ß yet?
16:17 pianohack owen: I think my response to your email managed to be semi-coherent, at least :)
16:18 sekjal cait: yeah, most of the display work could be managed by XSLT
16:18 sekjal the work of getting the 773$w fields in there, though... I assume copy/paste of the appropriate biblionumber?
16:18 jcamins pianohack: I studied Scottish paleography for a while, so I knew that letter.
16:19 owen Yes pianohack. What I find interesting is that no one is making a case for the patron's need for a MARC view
16:19 cait sekjal: yep, thats the next step in my project. I wanted to add some jQuery too. To show information about the linked titles on the record and a link as fallback
16:19 cait sekjal: we use 001
16:19 sekjal cait: ah, 001 makes sense, too
16:19 sekjal one of the things in my spec is 'item passthrough'
16:20 cait sekjal: German catalogs have had hierarchies forever
16:20 cait item passthrough?
16:20 sekjal that is, items attached to the biblios lower in the hierarchy show up as items for the biblios higher up
16:20 brendan joined #koha
16:20 cait I think the catalog need an addition similar to adding authorities, but search catalog and add 001 or biblionumber to record
16:21 cait ah, for us its not about the items
16:21 pianohack owen: Well, librarians at other libraries are patrons too. But yes, the MARC view's use is limited. My vote would be to keep the raw MARC view for copypasta purposes and eliminate the fancy ones on the OPAC side
16:21 cait we have hierarchies not only for analytics, but also for traced series
16:21 cait and for works with volumes, there is a record for the work, and records for every volume
16:21 owen pianohack: Eliminate
16:21 sekjal cait: yeah, the passthrough would be configurable depending on the relationship in question
16:21 cait sounds good to me
16:21 sekjal analytics would get it, other relationships wouldn't need it
16:22 cait ah, the passthrough would come in handy for bounded volumes too
16:22 sekjal and yes, we'd need that search option like we have for authorities records
16:22 cait sometimes you have two works bound together
16:23 pianohack owen: yes, I think
16:23 cait our libraries don't use koha for cataloging, only for management of items. they are cataloging in our union catalog - so we don't plan to add that
16:23 cait and I'm not sure I would be able to
16:23 cait bounded? bound... you know what I mean...
16:23 sekjal cait: yes
16:24 sekjal I think I may tend to over-spec
16:24 cait I m a bit tired today :)
16:24 cait over-spec?
16:24 sekjal at when you think of what can be practically accomplished for the time and money available
16:24 cait ah
16:24 cait we have no money to pay a real developer - so it's me working on this :)
16:26 sekjal I think this, like hourly loans, may be one of those big projects for everyone in the Koha community who's interested to throw time/effort at
16:26 sekjal I should really get my specs up on the wiki... I just want to be sure they're as intelligible as possible first
16:29 sekjal I think accomplishing that may be dependant on me eating lunch first, though.  brb
16:29 sekjal is now known as sekjal_a
16:30 cait sekjal: it would be great if you could do that, I can add what we need and perhaps work on some small things and testing
16:32 jwagner speaking of lunch, one of the nice things about working from home is that I can decide to have a bowl of ice cream instead of the horribly healthy stuff I normally pack in my take-to-the-office lunch.
16:32 * jwagner is off to enjoy it
16:48 cait ice cream...
16:48 cait cookies...
16:48 cait *sighs*
16:48 * jcamins agrees with cait: there is entirely too little dessert on #koha
16:49 jcamins ;)
16:49 cait lol
16:49 owen Really? It seems like it's all we talk about!
16:49 owen Bugs and dessert. Dessert and bugs. And the weather.
16:49 jcamins Well, perhaps.
16:50 owen What there is too little of is *actual* dessert. Enough talk!
16:51 davi left #koha
16:55 cait we can reduce the bug talk:
16:57 jcamins Hehe.
17:02 brendan left #koha
17:03 jcamins Is there any way to make the navbar show up on the advanced search screen?
17:03 jcamins In the OPAC.
17:07 cait the navbar sys pref?
17:08 jcamins Yeah, OpacNav. We want it to show up on the advanced search screen, too.
17:09 jcamins If it's easy, anyway.
17:10 cait hm, I don't think its possible by configuration
17:10 jcamins I don't think we care that much.
17:11 jcamins Really you'd think that the Navbar should show up on the Advanced search screen, though, wouldn't you?
17:11 cait hm, depends on what you use it for
17:12 cait I'd like to link a help file from the advance search page
17:13 jcamins Exactly. I think I'll put that link on opaccredits, since OpacNav really doesn't show up on the Advanced search page.
17:15 cait hm good idea
17:15 brendan joined #koha
17:16 owen jcamins: There are a few instances where OpacNav doesn't show up, including the advanced search page
17:18 davi joined #koha
17:22 jwagner jcamins, why not add your link into the masthead, next to where Advanced Search, Tag Cloud, etc. show up?
17:22 jcamins I can do that?
17:22 jwagner There's a jquery statement that can add stuff there
17:22 jwagner Lemme look it up
17:23 jwagner This will add a couple of links at the beginning of that line:
17:23 jwagner $("#moresearches").prepend("<a href=\"\">Library Home</a> <span class='pipe'> | </span> <a href=\"/cgi-bin/koha/\">Basic Search</a> <span class='pipe'> | </span> ");
17:24 jwagner using .append rather than .prepend would add them at the end -- you'd want to move the pipe placement.
17:28 jcamins Hm. I must be doing something wrong.
17:28 owen Are you putting that inside $(document).ready() ?
17:29 jcamins That would be what I'm doing wrong.
17:29 owen $(document).ready(function(){
17:29 owen ...
17:29 owen }):
17:29 jwagner Yes, I was assuming you already had the opening/closing lines.
17:31 jcamins Yay!
17:31 jcamins That's really cool.
17:31 jcamins Thanks.
17:31 jwagner I cannot tell a lie, I stole it from previously existing LL systems.  Which means it probably originated with owen :-)
17:35 jcamins Ooh, Ask A Librarian can go up there too, now.
17:39 jwagner Sure beats hardcoding changes in, which is what I did a few times before finding this snippet!
17:41 sekjal_a is now known as sekjal
17:42 cfouts joined #koha
18:13 |Lupin| joined #koha
18:13 |Lupin| hi
18:17 moodaepo left #koha
18:21 owen Hi |Lupin|, it's been a while
18:21 |Lupin| hello owen !
18:21 |Lupin| owen: how are you ?
18:21 owen I'm well, how are you?
18:22 |Lupin| owen: well too, thanks !
18:22 |Lupin| owen: I'm sorry but I'm not even here to have Koha discussions, just to talk with friends :-)
18:22 pianohack Hi, Sébastien (Sebastién? Sébástíéñ? Curse you accent)
18:23 pianohack I blame it on the fact that my town can't remember it has an ñ in its name
18:23 pianohack Anyway, good to see you
18:23 |Lupin| hello Jesse !
18:24 |Lupin| pianohack: it was Sébastien, which can also be written Sebastien, but nos it's Shérab or Sherab :)
18:24 |Lupin| pianohack: very good to see you too !
18:24 pianohack It's changed? (At least I got the old one right)
18:25 |Lupin| pianohack: yeah Sherab is my monk name
18:25 |Lupin| pianohack: everybody uses this one now, except my parents
18:25 pianohack Oh, wow. Congratulations
18:25 pianohack Yes, parents :)
18:25 |Lupin| pianohack: weren't you called pianohackER in the past ?
18:25 owen Someone took away his character quota ;)
18:25 pianohack There's a length limit on this new irc server, and I seem to be the only one that can type more than seven characters at a stretch
18:26 |Lupin| ohoh
18:26 |Lupin| new IRC server ?
18:26 |Lupin| seven characters ? how about tab... ?
18:26 pianohack yeah, they upgraded
18:26 |Lupin| what a beautiful upgrade !
18:26 Elwell left #koha
18:27 |Lupin| pianohack: your hand must be completely healed now, right ?
18:27 pianohack Yes. Back to normal, thanks to my mom's rehab efforts
18:27 pianohack So happy to have it back
18:28 |Lupin| pianohack: yeah not difficult to imagine !
18:38 tcohen left #koha
18:42 jwagner owen will be proud of me -- just figured out yet another jquery variation without having to ask :-)
18:42 jwagner ("strong:contains('No Result found!')").replaceWith("No Result found! Please log in to your account to make a purchase suggestion.");
18:44 brendan jwagner - you're on a roll
18:44 |Lupin| hi Jane :)
18:44 brendan what to figure out another one?
18:44 brendan s/what/want
18:44 jwagner hi |Lupin|
18:45 jwagner brendan, my to-do pile is out of control already :-)
18:45 brendan awh shucks
18:45 jwagner But maybe if I already have it on my cheat sheet....
18:45 owen jwagner: At my library we use "$(".searchresults").after()" so that the suggestions link appears whether or not there are no results
18:45 pianohack I know some jQuery, if owen isn't around :)
18:46 owen ..figuring that the patron may have gotten some results but not the ones they wanted
18:46 * owen should add that to the wiki
18:46 jwagner owen, that might work.  They only asked for it if there were no results, but I couldn't figure out how to put it on the No results match your search for X in Y catalog line.
18:46 jwagner I did a patch a while back, I think, to put some codes around that line, don't think it's been pushed yet.
18:51 owen jwagner: Is there a bug report for that?
18:51 chris morning
18:52 owen Hi chris
18:53 brendan @wunder 93117
18:53 munin brendan: The current temperature in Northwest Goleta, Goleta, California is 18.2�C (11:58 AM PDT on August 06, 2010). Conditions: Overcast. Humidity: 73%. Dew Point: 13.0�C. Pressure: 29.89 in 1012.1 hPa (Rising).
18:53 jwagner owen, Bug 4819
18:53 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=4819 enhancement, P5, ---, chris, NEW, Add ID tags to certain areas of OPAC so jquery can be used to hide them
18:58 owen jwagner: That patch no longer applies.
18:59 jwagner Figures.
18:59 jwagner It worked when I sent it....
19:00 owen Koha moves on
19:00 jwagner Sigh
19:02 Elwell joined #koha
19:07 davi left #koha
19:08 jcamins Strange bug: when I'm on the Creators syspref tab, the tab is not highlighted. The highlighting seems to work on all the other tabs, though. Can anyone confirm this bug before I report it?
19:09 owen Confirmed.
19:09 jcamins Thanks.
19:09 pianohack What is the creators tab, anyway?
19:10 jcamins I have no idea.
19:10 chris at the moment just patron images
19:10 pianohack Why a tab just for that?
19:10 chris basically its for stuff you upload
19:11 hdl joined #koha
19:11 chris the idea was to have all the sysprefs associated with label,barcode creating etc be there
19:12 chris turns out, there arent that many, just the patron images
19:13 jcamins Argh! I keep on forgetting that the default for the Bugzilla is enhancement.
19:19 hdl left #koha
19:20 * chris
19:20 chris heh
19:20 chris needs coffee apparently
19:21 * chris ventures out in the rain to go get kahu from his sleepover
19:23 cait hi chris
19:23 cait too late :)
19:25 davi joined #koha
19:27 jcamins owen: That was fast!
19:28 owen I had to change one whole character!
19:28 * owen collapses
19:29 jcamins Heh. I'm still impressed.
19:31 jcamins You had to create a branch and patch, in addition to changing that one character, after all.
19:32 owen I'm a crazed branch-creating maniac
19:32 cait :)
19:36 jwagner @quote add <owen> I'm a crazed branch-creating maniac
19:36 munin jwagner: The operation succeeded.  Quote #88 added.
19:39 owen @quote random
19:39 munin owen: Quote #31: "<@gmcharlt> but hacking Koha *should* be a restful part of any vacation ;)" (added by chris at 07:31 PM, September 02, 2009)
19:41 jwagner @quote random
19:41 munin jwagner: Quote #77: "*chris_n wants to know if nengard figures out how to do 1 million things at once... and if she will release the source code or not" (added by jdavidb at 01:02 PM, June 21, 2010)
19:43 cait :)
19:44 pianohack @roulette
19:44 munin *BANG* Hey, who put a blank in here?!
19:44 * munin reloads and spins the chambers.
19:44 pianohack Hahahahaha
19:44 pianohack Poor thing's lost admin rights anyway
19:44 owen Computer: Deactivate holodeck safety protocols!
19:48 owen Oh, and the other LOC catalog feature we should copy is the menacing session timeout clock in the title bar
19:48 owen MUST... SEARCH... FASTER!
19:49 jwagner well, owen, we wrote an OPAC timeout feature (Bug 4238) -- wouldn't be too hard to add a visible clock on the page :-)
19:49 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=4238 enhancement, PATCH-Sent, ---, chris, NEW, OPAC timeout feature for patron privacy
19:51 * cait has cookies :)
19:52 pianohack Anyone else here that uses the new fancy batch item delete tool?
19:53 * owen has only tested it
19:53 pianohack I've noticed that it does not delete the biblio if you delete the last item
19:53 pianohack For our library, at least, this is less than optimal. Thinking of sending a patch to automatically delete the bib if necessary
19:53 pianohack Thoughts?
19:54 owen I'd rather see it happen as a second stage: "The following records have no remaining items..."
19:54 jcamins pianohack: I cannot entirely remember why, but two days ago I was wishing that Koha would do that for me.
19:54 pianohack owen: Ahh, that's a good idea
19:54 cait I like the idea too
19:55 cait some days back somone was asking about a biblio bulk delete feature here on irc
20:18 collum left #koha
20:19 owen Have a good weekend everyone
20:19 owen left #koha
20:23 pianohack chris: around?
20:32 sekjal left #koha
20:35 briceSanc left #koha
20:39 jcamins Have a good weekend, #koha
20:39 jcamins is now known as jcamins_a
20:44 pianohack left #koha
20:47 pianohack joined #koha
20:49 schuster left #koha
20:51 jwagner left #koha
20:54 schuster joined #koha
20:54 schuster left #koha
21:06 brendan_ joined #koha
21:10 brendan left #koha
21:10 brendan_ left #koha
21:10 Nate left #koha
21:22 brendan joined #koha
21:43 rhcl_away brendan
21:54 davi left #koha
22:03 rhcl_away left #koha
22:11 |Lupin| left #koha
22:28 cait left #koha
22:32 brendan left #koha
22:34 pianohack left #koha
22:47 moodaepo joined #koha
22:52 brendan joined #koha
22:52 brendan left #koha
22:53 chris_n` joined #koha
23:30 cfouts left #koha
23:55 brendan joined #koha
23:59 brendan left #koha

| Channels | #koha index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | plain, newest first | summary