IRC log for #koha, 2010-05-03

All times shown according to UTC.

Time S Nick Message
00:01 jo left #koha
00:21 chris_n 'evening
00:21 brendan heys chris_n
00:22 chris heya chris_n
00:22 chris_n how's monday looking chris :)
00:22 * chris_n likes to know in advance
00:23 chris not too bad
00:23 chris slightly overcast
00:29 chris_n I've been working on C4::Installer::PerlModules to handle all of the perl dep foo
00:30 chris oh cool
00:32 chris_n yeah, the big thing is it gives us a single point for adding deps
00:32 chris_n rather than having to keep up with multiple locations
00:33 chris_n but you can do other things too, like invoke the required method to see what deps are required and what are optional
00:34 chris_n or the version_info method to see what versions are required vs what are installed
00:38 brendan that will be nice to have
02:28 mason gmcharlt: about for a MARC::File q?
02:29 gmcharlt ?
02:29 mason my $file2 = MARC::File::USMARC->in( '22.marc'  );
02:29 mason $file2->write( $marc);
02:30 mason 1 tic...
02:31 mason main::(./             $file2->write( $marc);
02:31 mason DB<1>
02:31 mason Method write must be overridden at /usr/share/perl5/MARC/ line 156.
02:31 mason sorry, about the pasting..
02:32 mason so, Q is.. whats the syntax to 'Writes a record to the output file. This method must be overridden in your subclass.'?
02:32 gmcharlt MARC::File::XML is the only subclass that implements write()
02:32 mason ive had a google, but cant find any decent examples :/
02:33 gmcharlt if you're just writing ISO2709 records to a file
02:33 gmcharlt just open an ordinary filehande and do
02:33 gmcharlt print $fh $marc->as_usmarc()
02:34 mason aaah ta, ive done this* many* times, but im having a little silly-spell
02:35 mason thanks again :)
02:54 chris_n g'night all
03:29 hdl_laptop left #koha
03:40 Amit_G joined #koha
03:40 Amit_G heya brendan, chris
03:40 Amit_G Good morning #koha
03:43 chris hi Amit_G
03:44 brendan hiya Amit_G
04:12 kware joined #koha
04:12 kware hello eveyone
04:14 chris hi kware
04:17 kware left #koha
04:41 darling_ joined #koha
04:41 reed left #koha
04:42 Amit_G heya darling_
04:42 darling_ hey
04:46 larsw left #koha
04:57 rach left #koha
05:09 richard left #koha
05:10 darling_ left #koha
05:22 CGI117 joined #koha
05:26 CGI117 left #koha
05:56 SelfishMan left #koha
06:12 SelfishMan joined #koha
07:26 kf joined #koha
07:26 kf good morning #koha
07:26 robin left #koha
07:27 Amit_G heya kf
07:28 Kivutar joined #koha
07:28 kf hi Amit_g
07:29 robin joined #koha
07:30 alex_a joined #koha
07:36 chris hi kf
07:37 kf hi chris
07:38 kf will set up virual box with koha on my computer at work today :)
07:39 CGI949 joined #koha
07:39 CGI949 hi there
07:40 CGI949 i need some info about koha data convert
07:40 CGI949 anyone can help me ?
07:40 kf chris: is it now?
07:40 kf CGI949: just ask your question, if somebody here can help they will answer
07:41 CGI949 ok
07:42 CGI949 i  wana convert ISO file from my database to koha database , what steps should i do for it ?
07:45 Kivutar CGI949: use
07:45 kf Im not sure what ISO format is. Koha can work with MARC21 and UNIMARC, you have to choose during install. For item information Koha uses field 952. You need a, b, p, and x there.
07:46 Kivutar i think he means iso2709
07:46 chris kf: at the moment both work, but ive switched to using
07:48 kf chris: thx, will use
07:49 CGI949 yes , MARC21  , with extention file      *.ISO
07:50 Kivutar CGI949: you can find in misc/migration_tools
07:50 hdl_laptop joined #koha
07:51 CGI881 joined #koha
07:51 CGI881 left #koha
07:53 francharb joined #koha
07:53 SelfishMan left #koha
07:53 CGI949 tnx to all
07:54 CGI949 left #koha
07:55 SelfishMan joined #koha
07:57 chris hi SelfishMan
07:57 chris ahh i bet that was an autoconnect
07:57 chris hi for 3 hours time when you wake up :)
08:05 miguelxercode joined #koha
08:05 miguelxercode left #koha
08:13 kf we have problems to install translation of syspref editor - is there a known bug or something?
08:14 chris hmm not that im aware of, if you see fredericd you could ask him, he did the work making the sysprefs translatable
08:14 chris so knows much more about it than me
08:19 francharb left #koha
08:20 kf will ask him, thx :)
08:24 kmkale joined #koha
08:31 kmkale Hi friends
08:32 chris hi kmkale
08:34 kmkale In both 3.0.5 and master when I try to print a slip or page from the drop down on Fines page I only get a page with three lines on it. Library name, checked out to < patron card no > , and third line Checkd out today.
08:34 kmkale hi Chris
08:34 kmkale cant find a bug regarding this
08:34 Amit_G heya kmkale
08:34 kmkale hi amit
08:35 francharb joined #koha
08:35 kmkale should't I get a print ut of the fines table shown on the screen instead of the three lines?
08:36 chris i dont think it prints out the fines, i think the print slip or print page is only to print out the persons items they have issued
08:36 chris ie, those buttons are on every page to do with a borrower, not specific to the fines page
08:37 kmkale ouch! but then the print drop down should not be there when we go to fines tab. Or on fines tab it should print the fines table displayed.
08:38 chris they are there on every page to do with borrowers, adn they do the same thing
08:38 kmkale Has anyone done any enhancement on printing the fines and fee receipts?
08:38 chris if you want to just print the fines table, just choose print in your browser
08:38 kf kmkale: chris is right, the slips are not for fines but for checkouts. an option to print fine slips would be a nice enhanement
08:38 kmkale chris: its misleading
08:38 chris and if it has print stylesheet it will use that
08:38 kmkale yes chris I tried that and it printed the table
08:39 kmkale It would be nice to generate a printout of fines and receipts. and also any manual invoices we generate.
08:39 chris patches accepted :)
08:39 kmkale :)
08:40 Kivutar left #koha
08:45 kmkale chris: I am looking at code. If I want to print a slip when the form is saved what do I need to do? any hints?
08:47 chris take a look at the printslip code, you will need to do something like that you will need a new template
08:47 chris a new script and some javascript to call the print function in the browser
08:47 kmkale cant add to maninvoice.tmpl?
08:48 kmkale and a syspref to control whether it prints or not?
08:48 chris not easily
08:48 chris because what the print slip does is use a template without all the navigaton etc
08:49 kmkale let me give it a try although I know perl like i know men on mars ;)
08:50 kmkale but a member library of is bugging the hell out of me over this :(
08:55 kmkale chris: by pritslip code did you mean moremember-receipt?
08:55 kmkale moremember-receipt.tmpl?
08:56 chris yeah you need to find the script that calls that too
08:56 Irinie joined #koha
08:56 kmkale its line 80
09:00 Irinie Hi
09:00 Amit_G Hi Irninie
09:00 Irinie I just want to ask if there is a way to do a migration to data from excel sheet to Koha (using Marc 21 format)?
09:01 Amit_G Irinie: use MARC edit for this
09:02 Irinie could you clearify more
09:03 Amit_G[…]it/html/index.php
09:03 Amit_G after that run bulkmarc perl script
09:14 kmkale left #koha
09:14 kmkale joined #koha
09:21 Irinie I have to install the program Marc editor?
09:23 kmkale Irinie: try this[…]ha_using_marcedit
09:24 Irinie Thanks, I will try.
09:30 kmkale_ joined #koha
09:31 magnus joined #koha
09:31 magnus g'day #koha
09:31 Irinie left #koha
09:35 kmkale left #koha
09:39 Amit_G anybody generate patron card with koha
09:40 kf Amit_G: sorry, no
09:40 kf hi magnus
09:40 Amit_G hi magnus
09:40 kf magnus: are u using authorities?
09:40 magnus hi kf and Amit_G
09:40 magnus kf: sorry, no
09:41 kf anybody else using authorities?
09:41 magnus never really tried it, even
09:42 rach joined #koha
09:44 kf when searching for authorities in opac I have $asubject in display, but only for topical subjects, I dont know where this $a comes from :(
10:52 genji joined #koha
11:18 jdavidb joined #koha
11:20 CGI268 joined #koha
11:20 jdavidb harrrumph.  mornin, #koha
11:21 CGI268 left #koha
11:23 Amit_G heya jdavidb
11:27 gmcharlt good morning
11:29 Amit_G heya galen
11:29 kf morning jdavidb and gmcharlt
11:30 jdavidb Hi, Amit_G and kf (and gmcharlt).
11:31 * kf shares her swiss chocolate easter bunny
11:32 jdavidb ooo....chocolate...  thanks, kf!  (A day that *starts* with "harrumph" does not bode well.  Getting soaked by rain waiting for the bus didn't help.)
11:32 kf was at my parents' this weekend
11:33 kf hope it helps :)
11:35 jwagner joined #koha
11:50 Amit_G left #koha
11:53 kf @marc 653
11:53 munin kf: An index term added entry that is not constructed by standard subject heading/thesaurus-building conventions. (Repeatable) [a,6,8]
11:54 kmkale_ wow!! Munin+++
11:58 genji left #koha
12:22 francharb left #koha
12:24 * kf gives munin some chocolate
12:24 owen joined #koha
12:25 greenmang0 joined #koha
12:26 owen Hi #koha
12:27 * jdavidb waves to owen.
12:27 kf hi owen
12:27 kf jwagner: will test and close ;)
12:28 jwagner Hope it works as well for you as it did for me :-)  Thanks, gmcharlt
12:28 * owen resumes his job as button-pusher
12:29 gmcharlt jwagner: finally, I have started a trend!  mwa-ha-ha!
12:29 jwagner What trend?  Fixing things?  But you always did that!!!
12:29 kf was about to ask about the trend too :)
12:29 gmcharlt no, the "please test and close wording"
12:29 gmcharlt unless I've misunderstood the conversation, which is also possible :)
12:30 jwagner No, right conversation.  And I don't promise to _always_ test and close....
12:30 kf repeating what you have written gives me less room for grammar mistakes
12:30 jwagner But thanks for fixing this problem.  It was a real bear.
12:30 kf gmcharlt++ :)
12:32 jwagner I really hope there aren't any other situations where the system checks 942c item type instead of item-level itype, but I have a hunch there are.  Sigh....
12:32 kf jwagner: added a new bug today bug 4433
12:32 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=4433 normal, P5, ---,, NEW, $a displayed in front of topical subjects in authority search
12:32 kmkale_ left #koha
12:33 gmcharlt if there are any left, there are very few
12:33 kf jwagner: I tell you because I saw this problem in your test opac for landman library too (was the first link I had)
12:33 jwagner Haven't noticed it myself, but I rarely do authority searches.  I'll take a look -- thanks.
12:34 kf jwagner: I wanted to make sure its not a problem with our data
12:36 collum joined #koha
12:37 jwagner kf, authority searching isn't turned on in that catalog -- how did you get that result?
12:39 kf I changes my link :)
12:39 kf changed
12:39 kf I was surprised that it worked, but it did
12:40 jwagner Tricksy...
12:40 kf is tricksy good or bad?
12:41 jwagner tricksy little hobbittssesssss
12:41 jwagner Are you going to do a patch?
12:42 kf jwagner: no idea why this happens and no time right now :( have to set up a development koha here on my computer first (finally got permission)
12:43 * jdavidb signs in a guttural voice, "The rock and pool, is nice and cool, so juicy, sweeeeeet!"
12:46 * jdavidb can't even sing right today.
12:49 * kf looks confused at jdavidb
12:51 * jdavidb was trying to sing Gollum's little song from _Lord of the Rings_.  But typoed, and apparently did it in American Sign Language instead.
12:52 gmcharlt neat trick over IRC
12:54 * jdavidb has some talent, occasionally.
12:54 francharb joined #koha
12:54 francharb left #koha
12:55 * gmcharlt idly wonders if there is a notation for ASL that would permit one to learn new gestures
12:56 gmcharlt although I suppose videos may suffice for that
12:57 jdavidb
12:58 gmcharlt
12:59 gmcharlt[…]ode/unicod00.html
13:00 chris_n g'morning all
13:00 kf chris_n: good morning :)
13:00 schuster joined #koha
13:01 chris_n is there a way to print a detailed account invoice for a patron with fines due?
13:01 * chris_n thinks the 'Print' button on is a bit deceptive in that regard
13:06 kf I think kmkale was asking the same question earlier today
13:07 kf not sure if he planned to add a slip for fines, perhaps talk to him
13:10 jwagner kf, I took a quick look, but I don't see how the code is setting/passing the subfields.  It's going to take someone more familiar with authorities than I am to fix it.
13:13 DRUlm joined #koha
13:20 DRUlm Hello
13:20 owen Hi DRUlm
13:22 DRUlm How is Koha land? and How is Koha 3.2, I just upgraded (on a VM) to 3.2alpha with our production data. It went pretty smooth. There are a few bugs, any of note that are causing issues?
13:25 kf jwagner: I think I tried to find out some time ago (this is a old bug I forgot to report :( ) but without success.
13:28 sekjal joined #koha
13:31 jcamins joined #koha
13:33 gmcharlt DRUlm: alpha2 will be coming out tomorrow; just working on getting release notes into better shape
13:35 DRUlm So I must have been running Koha3.2-Null-Set or something, Pre Alpha sounds so Null
13:36 DRUlm gmcharlt: Cool on the release. The upgrade process from 3.0 to 3.2 worked better than it ever has in the past version to version
13:36 gmcharlt DRUlm: good to hear.  run into any problems?
13:37 schuster kf - authorities a - is usually the "base" part of the authority heading - or Authoritized.  Often you can add to an authoritized heading with "free floaters" etc...
13:37 schuster Not sure exactly what you are looking for... kf.
13:38 kf schuster: I meant I did not find the reason for the bug - but thx schuster
13:38 DRUlm gmcharlt: Just on the copied from OPAC XSLT to the staff interface, links mostly, but it looked a little off
13:38 schuster X51 __ |a South Dakota
13:38 DRUlm gmchalt: I need to keep testing
13:39 schuster OK.  Thanks kf
13:42 schuster wizzyrea - you really there or is that a phantom?
13:42 jdavidb @seen wizzyrea
13:42 munin jdavidb: wizzyrea was last seen in #koha 2 days, 15 hours, 41 minutes, and 7 seconds ago: <wizzyrea> you would need to remove the attached event, chris
13:43 jdavidb looks like the ghost of wizzyrea.
13:43 kf bbl
13:43 kf left #koha
13:46 Nate joined #koha
13:46 sekjal left #koha
13:46 sekjal joined #koha
13:58 jwagner is now known as jwagner_meeting
13:59 wizzyrea I'I am here
13:59 sekjal left #koha
13:59 wizzyrea nwo
13:59 wizzyrea now*
13:59 wizzyrea sup :)
13:59 wizzyrea So. Apparently I'm working on a feature list >.>
14:00 * jdavidb waves at wizzyrea.
14:00 gmcharlt wizzyrea: I'm putting release notes together today for the release of alpha2
14:00 sekjal joined #koha
14:00 wizzyrea gmcharlt: brilliant
14:00 gmcharlt once those are done, I'll put them on a wiki for fine-tuning
14:00 * wizzyrea didn't remember signing up for that task... but was willing to take it on if necessary
14:01 kmkale joined #koha
14:01 gmcharlt no, I got the impression that you were volunteered :)
14:09 jdavidb_ joined #koha
14:11 wizzyrea lol! fair enough :)
14:11 wizzyrea < was off doing the french version of the manual for the site
14:12 wizzyrea rather, hoping that I did it right >.>
14:16 jdavidb left #koha
14:19 DRUlm left #koha
14:20 jdavidb_ is now known as jdavidb
14:22 chris_n sorry wizzyrea; I got the idea you were working on one from this tidbit:[…]10-05-01#i_431256
14:22 chris_n but I'll be glad to do it up once gmcharlt finishes the release notes for alpha2
14:22 wizzyrea chris_n: no worries :)
14:23 wizzyrea I imagine it will be a team effort no matter whose name goes on it.
14:23 * wizzyrea is having grammar issues today
14:23 * chris_n tries not to inadvertently volunteer folks for things as much as possible ;-)
14:24 wizzyrea hehe
14:24 wizzyrea owen: you summersault all over that bug.
14:25 * owen also knows kung-fu
14:25 brendan left #koha
14:27 mbreeding joined #koha
14:27 owen Hi mbreeding
14:27 mbreeding Hello.
14:31 gmcharlt hi mbreeding
14:31 chris_n owen: who is kung-fu... ;)
14:32 chris_n heya mbreeding
14:32 mbreeding hi all.  Just gettin a new irc client installed and tested.
14:33 gmcharlt seems to work
14:34 mbreeding left #koha
14:36 * owen disappointed that he wasn't here to get the inside scoop
14:37 * collum was anticipating and getting excited that there might be some big ILS news.
14:37 * collum needs a hobby.
14:39 * jdavidb chuckles
14:40 johnindy left #koha
14:45 * chris_n wonders if we will have more than the usual number of participants/lurkers in this week's meetings
14:55 owen What is the current recommendation? Use
14:56 gmcharlt owen: and currently mirror each other
14:56 gmcharlt so for now, patches will be the same regardless of which you pull from
14:56 wizzyrea gmcharlt: which are you using?
14:56 gmcharlt does have built-in gitstatus
14:56 gmcharlt I'm pushing to both for now
14:56 wizzyrea (or is that a politically incorrect thing to ask >.>)
14:57 wizzyrea okie
14:57 owen built-in gitstatus?
14:57 sekjal is now known as sekjal-meeting
14:57 gmcharlt owen: git statistics, rather -
14:57 wizzyrea handy!
14:58 wizzyrea yay, we don't have to eat chris's bandwidth anymore
14:58 mbreeding joined #koha
15:01 brendan joined #koha
15:08 wizzyrea chris_n: :
15:08 wizzyrea er
15:08 wizzyrea lulz
15:09 wizzyrea thanks for posting the minutes pages on the wiki
15:09 * wizzyrea just realized she had a total brain fart on "how you add things to a wiki"
15:10 jwagner_meeting wizzyrea, I personally have never quite grasped the concept at all -- I approach all wiki edits with great trepidation :-)
15:10 jwagner_meeting is now known as jwagner
15:12 jcamins Hello, #koha
15:13 wizzyrea wikis-- #for being different from anything else.
15:13 wizzyrea wikis++ #for being helpful, despite that
15:13 chris_n copy-and-paste++ #simplifies wiki editing :)
15:13 jcamins I am absolutely certain this is documented somewhere, but I am just not finding where... does anyone know where "nature of contents" is derived from for MARC21 008?
15:14 * chris_n freely confesses his great ignorance of most things marc related
15:15 gmcharlt jcamins:
15:16 gmcharlt looks like 008/24-27 for books
15:16 gmcharlt 008/25-27 for continuing resources
15:16 jcamins gmcharlt: The problem I'm having is that Koha just says "(derived value)" in the editor.
15:16 gmcharlt and not defined for any other format
15:18 jwagner jcamins, I _think_ the derived value comment means that Koha will try to set the 008 from the leader.  gmcharlt, am I right on that?
15:19 gmcharlt yep, but that's nonsense for those 008 positions
15:19 wizzyrea[…]-fr/?ch=c25#AEN27
15:19 * wizzyrea cheers
15:19 jwagner wizzyrea++
15:20 gmcharlt jwagner: jcamins: in other words, that's an actual glitch with the 008 editor template - it should be specifying dropdowns for those for possitions for the BK format
15:20 gmcharlt and ditto for CRs
15:21 jcamins Ah. That explains the confusion.
15:23 jcamins Yeah, here it is. Bug 2567.
15:23 jwagner gmcharlt, worth adding that to Bug 3013 ?  I did the 007 but have never had time to work on the 006 and 008 pieces.
15:23 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=2567 normal, P3, ---,, NEW, 008 editor falsely populating Illustrations and Nature of Contents positions
15:23 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=3013 normal, PATCH-Sent, ---,, REOPENED, Value builder for 007 and 008 seems to only include choices for Book -- need all format types
15:24 jwagner I'll add a reference to 2567 into 3013
15:24 gmcharlt jwagner: agreed
15:25 gmcharlt you can do that by adding 2567 to the depends on field in bug 3013
15:26 jwagner Well, that's one I've never seen. Just tried it....
15:27 jwagner gotta run, back online later.
15:27 hdl_laptop left #koha
15:27 jwagner left #koha
15:28 kf joined #koha
15:28 kf hi #koha
15:33 joetho joined #koha
15:33 chris_n hey kf
15:35 kf hey chris_n :)
15:35 kmkale left #koha
15:35 kmkale joined #koha
15:38 owen Grr... Ubuntu upgrade on my VM seems to have stalled...
15:41 chris_n for anyone interested, I just added steps to setup git to use your gmail or gmail-hosted account as an smtp server
15:42 chris_n[…]l_some_parameters
15:42 wizzyrea chris_n: !!!!! sweet!
15:42 owen chris_n++
15:45 wizzyrea left #koha
15:45 wizzyrea joined #koha
15:48 kmkale guyz on git usage I have just hacked about a bit to be able to print fee receipts from Seems to be working on my machine. Can you guide me on creating a enhancement request and submitting a patch for it?
15:49 wizzyrea kmkale: <3 spectacular
15:49 wizzyrea[…]d/for-developers/
15:50 wizzyrea for very starters
15:50 kmkale wizzyrea: This is what I see on my git statuc now
15:50 kmkale kk@kk:~/kohaclone$ git status
15:50 kmkale # On branch kkwork
15:50 kmkale # Your branch is ahead of 'origin/master' by 3 commits.
15:50 kmkale #
15:50 kmkale # Changes to be committed:
15:50 kmkale #   (use "git reset HEAD <file>..." to unstage)
15:50 kmkale #
15:50 kmkale #modified:   koha-tmpl/intranet-tmpl/prog/en/​modules/members/boraccount.tmpl
15:50 kmkale #new file:   koha-tmpl/intranet-tmpl/prog/en/​modules/members/fee-receipt.tmpl
15:50 kmkale #new file:   members/
15:51 kmkale what next?
15:51 wizzyrea < not the git master :( sorry
15:51 kf git add <file>
15:52 kf for the modified files
15:52 kmkale kf: did that. Above is after add.
15:52 kf I m also a newbie, but can tell you what I do :)
15:52 wizzyrea kf++ # for general smartness and helpfulness
15:52 kf karma!
15:52 kf hm I wonder if those files should be listed underchanges to be committed
15:53 jdavidb kf++ # for friendliness, too.
15:53 kf have you made git add for all files changed?
15:53 * kf blushes
15:53 kmkale chris pushed me today afternoon when I asked for printing fee receipts said patches welcome!!
15:53 kmkale so here I am
15:54 kf the next step after git add is git commit and after that git format-patch origin
15:54 kf thats what I have written down and used so far
15:54 kmkale and he pointed in the direction to look of course so chris ++
15:55 chris_n kmkale: are you going to add the ability to print fees/fines?
15:55 kf after that there is a file you can send to the mailing lists, you can also use gut send-email, but this will perhaps need a little configuration
15:55 kmkale OK. Let me try. I think I messed it up once. Shouldent I first create a enhancement request or something? and then commit against that bug number?
15:55 kmkale chris_n: yes.
15:55 kf yes, you can add the bug number to the commit message
15:55 chris_n kmkale++
15:56 chris_n kmkale: I'll be glad to help with testing when you get to that point
15:56 kmkale aww chris_n: what I have done is too simple for that
15:56 kmkale but usefull for my purpose
15:57 chris_n I'll still look forward to seeing it as my librarians were asking for such a creature just yesterday
15:57 kmkale
15:58 kmkale if yoiu want to have a look and suggest something before I go any further
15:58 chris_n hmm.... firefox says unable to connect
15:58 wizzyrea < same here
15:58 kmkale aww by broadband router
15:59 kmkale &^*&^&%
15:59 chris_n wonderful things firewalls :)
15:59 kmkale give me a min?
15:59 chris_n sure thing
16:04 kf works now :)
16:05 wizzyrea we are going to kill your upstream ;)
16:05 greenmang0 left #koha
16:06 chris_n well, it times out from here now :(
16:08 wizzyrea yea, timed out for me too
16:08 kmkale_ joined #koha
16:08 wizzyrea but the basic steps
16:08 chris_n ops
16:08 kmkale_ chris_n: can you try now?
16:08 wizzyrea make a bug on, mark it as enhancement and "sponsored"
16:09 * chris_n tries now
16:09 chris_n getting some data
16:09 wizzyrea then submit your patch using git
16:09 chris_n k, in
16:09 kmkale_ wizzyrea: was the above for me? cause I missed most of it as a result of restarting the router
16:09 wizzyrea yeps
16:10 wizzyrea no, there are really only 2 stpes
16:10 wizzyrea steps
16:10 kmkale_ chris_n: borrowernumber=1
16:10 wizzyrea (2 big steps, lots of little ones re: git, but those are the big ones)
16:11 kmkale_ wizzyrea: can you repeat plz? I just caught the last statement..
16:11 wizzyrea make a bug on, mark it as enhancement and "sponsored"
16:11 kmkale_ ok
16:11 wizzyrea then submit your patch using git
16:11 kmkale_ how?
16:11 kmkale_ git commit?
16:12 wizzyrea (and send it via email to
16:12 chris_n kmkale_: nice work!
16:12 wizzyrea[…]lopment:git_usage
16:12 kmkale_ thanks chris_n
16:12 kmkale_ wizzyrea: that page got me upto here
16:12 kmkale_ :)
16:13 kmkale left #koha
16:15 chris_n kmkale_: you need to 'git add' the two files you created
16:15 chris_n sorry
16:15 chris_n then 'git commit'
16:15 chris_n if you created a bug
16:15 chris_n include the bug number in the first line of the commit message
16:16 wizzyrea and yea, very nice work
16:16 wizzyrea we got an "Ooooh!" out of sharon
16:16 chris_n so like "Enhancement Bug XXXX: Adding feature to print fines/fees receipts"
16:16 kmkale_ chris_n: thats exactly I was going to ask next
16:17 * kf is curious too...
16:17 chris_n and any other foo you'd like to include in the patch below the first line of the commit message
16:17 kf what is the login?
16:17 chris_n the exit the editor
16:17 chris_n and 'git format-patch origin'
16:17 chris_n that will produce a *.patch file
16:17 kmkale_ k
16:17 chris_n then 'git send-email your-feature.patch'
16:18 chris_n assuming you have setup git to send email
16:18 chris_n if not, see the wiki page ref'd above
16:18 kmkale_ ok let me try.
16:18 sekjal-meeting is now known as sekjal
16:19 kf kmkale++
16:19 kmkale_ thanks kf
16:21 joetho Any MarcEdit experts here today?
16:21 joetho I am having a problem converting a txt file back to marc21
16:22 wizzyrea kmkale++ that's really good
16:22 * wizzyrea 's institution has been *begging* for that
16:23 kmkale_ thanks wizzyrea. One participating library of has been bugging me for this. Thats what drove me plus the fact that its summer vacation time so much less work loads
16:23 jcamins joetho: I'm not an expert, but what do you need?
16:25 tjl joined #koha
16:26 joetho I am using the "delimited text translator" and I can't get it to work.
16:27 joetho The error seems to be non-marcedit
16:28 jcamins What error are you getting? (I've never used the delimited text translator, but I'll take a stab at it anyway).
16:28 kmkale_ Bug 4440
16:28 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=4440 enhancement, P5, ---,, NEW, Adding feature to print fines/fees receipts
16:29 joetho @jcamins just a second
16:29 munin joetho: Error: "jcamins" is not a valid command.
16:29 joetho well you know what I meant, munin
16:29 joetho @roulette
16:29 munin *BANG* Hey, who put a blank in here?!
16:29 * munin reloads and spins the chambers.
16:30 owen Not your day joetho
16:31 jcamins Does anyone know what the maximum (reasonable) file size is for staging MARC records for import?
16:31 jcamins Somewhat smaller than 5.9MB (10k records), apparently.
16:32 schuster I saw there was a problem with that someplace, but don't know the limit.
16:32 jdavidb @roulette
16:32 munin jdavidb: *click*
16:32 schuster Why what happened to you?
16:32 jdavidb rats.
16:32 schuster joetho - get it worked out?
16:33 jcamins schuster: After waiting several minutes, the page reloaded as if nothing had happened.
16:33 jcamins When I went to the mange marc import page, the new import was not listed.
16:34 jcamins *manage
16:34 joetho here is the first part of my error message (when using marcedit delim text translator):
16:34 joetho System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index and length must refer to a location within the string.
16:34 joetho I have doubletripleandfourple-checked the import template
16:35 joetho import template- matches text/csv field headings to corresponding marc21 tags
16:36 jcamins Hm. I have no idea what to make of that.
16:36 jcamins Could you have a blank line at the end, or something?
16:37 joetho tried that
16:37 joetho I have also tried a single record
16:38 jcamins There's a Marcedit mailing list... perhaps someone on there would know.
16:38 joetho I tried the marcedit help message on the website
16:39 joetho I am reluctant to re-send requests for help
16:39 jcamins Hm.
16:39 joetho the listserv is a good ideer
16:39 joetho thks
16:39 jdavidb @roulette
16:39 munin jdavidb: *click*
16:41 joetho wow jdavidb
16:41 joetho it's been a long week, huh?
16:41 jdavidb mhm.
16:41 jdavidb @roulette
16:41 munin jdavidb: *click*
16:41 jdavidb rats.
16:41 kf @roulette
16:41 munin kf: *click*
16:42 schuster joetho - I'm on that mailing list and they are very helpful and Terry listens and answers pretty quick usually.
16:48 jdavidb @coin
16:48 munin jdavidb: heads
16:48 jcamins So, based on my wholly unscientific testing, 6000 records is a practical maximum for stage marc records for import.
16:48 jcamins At least on our system.
16:49 jdavidb "When faced with moments of indecision, toss a coin.  Not to let the coin decide things for you, but because, in the instant while the coin is in the air, you will suddenly know what *you* want to happen."
16:49 rhcl joined #koha
16:50 kmkale_ jcamins: I have done 60000 records frequently
16:51 jcamins kmkale_: Really? Huh.
16:52 alex_a left #koha
16:52 jcamins I wonder why everything goes wonky when I try batches of 7000.
16:52 kf ok, using ubuntu, I want to get in a directory owned by root... my user is koha and I get permission denied with cd directory
16:52 kf can someone help? linux newbie
16:52 jcamins Yes.
16:52 jcamins $ sudo chown koha $DIRNAME
16:52 kf thx
16:53 kf hope it will work, following chris instructions to install PDF::API2::Simple
16:59 jwagner joined #koha
17:00 pastebot "kmkale_" at pasted "git status" (20 lines) at
17:04 kf kmkale: there is a file print_fee_receipts.patch, this should be the file you can send to the mailinglist
17:05 kf hm, mine always start with 0001, like the other patch files listed
17:07 owen is now known as owen-away
17:07 tjl left #koha
17:10 pastebot "kmkale_" at pasted "patch contents" (258 lines) at
17:12 kmkale_ kf: that had multiple line in subject due to my ignorance of rgit
17:13 kmkale_ so chris_n is helping me make a new one
17:14 kmkale_ now whats Message-ID to be used as In-Reply-To for the first email?
17:15 chris_n you can ignore that
17:15 kmkale_ k
17:16 kmkale_ aah sendmail says OK
17:16 kmkale_ now a big thanks to chris_n, kf and wizzyrea
17:17 kf thx for a great new feature :)
17:17 chris_n kmkale++
17:18 kmkale_ aye you guyz made it possible and chris in the afternoon of course by giving me hints about templates. Hope it gets in
17:18 gmcharlt kmkale_: for 3.4, but yes, I imagine it will
17:19 kmkale_ gr8 thanks gmcharlt
17:19 kmkale_ chris_n++
17:19 kmkale_ kf++
17:19 kmkale_ wizzyrea++
17:19 kmkale_ and gmcharlt++
17:19 kmkale_ :)
17:19 kf kmkale++ :)
17:20 kf @karma kf
17:20 munin kf: Karma for "kf" has been increased 12 times and decreased 0 times for a total karma of 12.
17:21 * kf installed virtual box and koha successfully on computer at work
17:21 kf now time to go home - bye all!
17:22 kf left #koha
17:23 kmkale_ do I need to upload attachments at against this bug 4440?
17:23 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=4440 enhancement, P5, ---,, NEW, Adding feature to print fines/fees receipts
17:26 kmkale_ anyway time to go home. Bye all
17:28 kmkale_ left #koha
17:45 nengard joined #koha
17:46 nengard i have a git question ...  I wanted to change the email my patches are sent from so I did this
17:46 nengard git config --global ""
17:46 nengard but now it's CCing that email address ... not marked as from it ...
17:46 nengard ideas?
17:49 chris had you done your commits before that?
17:49 chris if so, its already marked them as being from the address you had set when you committed
17:50 joetho david schuster, thanks for the good idea schuster++
17:50 chris if you want to fix a commit you had done, if its the latest one
17:51 chris git commit --amend --author="Nicole Engard <fixed@email.address>"
17:53 chris if you want to get older ones, the easiest way to do that is to branch off .. cherry-pick the oldest commit, amend it, do the next oldest etc .. you should of course not do this for any commits you have sent as patches already
17:54 sekjal left #koha
18:00 nengard chris i did that email change yesterday
18:00 nengard and the commit was done today
18:00 nengard so no - did not commit before that
18:00 owen-away is now known as owen
18:02 jwagner is now known as jwagner_meeting
18:02 chris how are you sending the mail?
18:03 nengard git send-email
18:06 chris and the author and committer look right in the patch?
18:07 nengard iono :) it's the last patch sent to the patches list - i don't see a name on it
18:07 nengard found it
18:07 nengard From 8005e597fbf6f609e84ef903044a305821f5543e Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
18:07 nengard From: Nicole Engard <>
18:07 nengard looks right
18:07 nengard so i guess that's fine then
18:07 chris yup
18:07 nengard it's just sending from gmail to the patches list
18:08 chris and how is your mail sent with git send-email does it use gmail as its smtp?
18:08 gmcharlt nengard: I don't see any patch from your ByWater address to the patches list
18:08 nengard i don't remember - set it up ages ago - but my assumption would be yes considering my gmail is what sent the message
18:09 nengard gmcharlt it was from my gmail address
18:09 nengard the email was at least
18:09 chris yeah then its probably that rewriting the from
18:09 nengard gmcharlt sent at 1:15pm EST
18:09 gmcharlt nengard: what was the bug number?
18:09 chris its the latest mail to the patches list
18:10 nengard bug 4442
18:10 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=4442 minor, PATCH-Sent, ---,, ASSIGNED, rename batch edit tools
18:10 nengard chris does that mean i should change smtp? bywater mail is google too
18:10 gmcharlt ok, one sent from with a cc to
18:10 chris it means you should use their gmail set up
18:11 chris not your personal username and password to connect to gmail
18:11 nengard right
18:11 chris that would be my guess
18:11 nengard yup - how do i get to smtp settings on my server though? like is said it was ages ago that we did this
18:11 nengard this is why i waited so long to change things :)
18:11 nengard was just easier to keep it the way it was working
18:11 gmcharlt nengard: that might better addressed to sekjal or brendan
18:12 nengard gmcharlt - it's my local install
18:12 nengard not bywater's
18:12 nengard i just need to know the command to type to get into my settings so i can change them
18:12 nengard it's the debian install that chris helped me set up
18:12 chris yeah, i dunno
18:13 chris my boxes all can send email without an smtp gateway
18:15 cait joined #koha
18:15 cait hi #koha
18:15 jdavidb Hi, cait. :)
18:17 chris_n nengard: just setup 'git config --global sendemail.smtpuser'
18:17 chris_n and fixup your password to match
18:18 nengard thanks chris_n
18:18 chris_n the rest is the same as your personal gmail account settings
18:18 nengard will it prompt for my password or is there a line i need for that too?
18:18 * chris_n added gmail config how-to earlier:[…]l_some_parameters
18:18 nengard thanks!
18:18 chris_n git config --global sendemail.smtppass your_password
18:21 nengard thanks found it
18:22 nengard gmcharlt - am going to resend the last patch - i know it was pushed already but it's all i have to test with - just ignore it :)
18:22 gmcharlt k
18:22 * chris_n wonders if km_kale 's patch got put in koha-patches jail
18:23 nengard woo hoo - worked ! you all rock :)
18:23 chris_n another satisfied customer :)
18:25 gmcharlt chris_n: nope, it's not stuck in moderation
18:25 chris_n gmcharlt: thanks
18:26 chris_n @later tell km_kale you should try resending your patch and/or checking your git send-email setup; see[…]l_some_parameters
18:26 munin chris_n: The operation succeeded.
18:26 chris_n munin++
18:27 chris_n @karma munin
18:27 munin chris_n: Karma for "munin" has been increased 7 times and decreased 3 times for a total karma of 4.
18:27 chris_n munin++ #for being underrated
18:27 munin chris_n: Error: "#for" is not a valid command.
18:33 wizzyrea he's modest
18:33 owen Interesting... the 'issuingbranch' column in the issues table seems to be unused.
18:33 gmcharlt owen: correct, it's not used
18:33 owen That is news to catalogue/, which attempts to display it
18:34 gmcharlt but will be sorely disappointed, as nothing populates it :)
18:38 jwagner_meeting is now known as jwagner
18:43 joetho left #koha
18:44 sekjal joined #koha
18:45 nengard owen, gmcharlt - i think there is a bug to that effect
18:45 nengard sounds familiar
18:45 nengard bug 2806
18:46 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=2806 normal, P3, ---,, NEW, issuingbranch isn't used
18:48 * owen can't remember as far back as 2008
18:50 nengard I got me a good memory :)
18:52 owen I had a good memory before I had kids
18:55 nengard yet another check mark in my reasons why not to have kids column :)
18:56 wizzyrea but you miss out on them talking about ackicockters
18:56 wizzyrea (helicopters)
18:56 nengard ahhh ;) hehe
18:56 nengard I can experience that with friends' kids
18:57 wizzyrea true enough I suppose
18:57 * wizzyrea runs to the corner to sob
18:57 wizzyrea j/k j/k
18:57 wizzyrea ;)
18:57 collum Your lack of memory is compensated by the fact that your kids eventually know everything.
18:57 nengard awww :( hehe
19:01 nengard okay - i need to rest now - had a test this AM that prooved that I don't have asthma afterall - but it did cause my real condition to flare up after a week of no problems
19:01 nengard so i'm going to sleep this off and be 100% tomorrow
19:01 gmcharlt nengard: :(  get better soon
19:01 nengard ttyl (and PS - I have updated the manual with all of the patches that Galen has pushed in the last few days)
19:02 nengard manual is here:[…]ocs.git;a=summary
19:02 nengard and thanks gmcharlt - i'll be A-OK now that I know what it is and what to do about it :)
19:02 nengard left #koha
19:03 DRUlm joined #koha
19:08 DRUlm Idea for Koha Community
19:08 DRUlm How about for short it is called
19:08 DRUlm K.C.
19:08 DRUlm Like K.C. and the Sunshine Band
19:09 DRUlm K.C. has a nice ring to it, and perhaps may remind people of the 1970s, when things were starting to look up :)
19:09 wizzyrea Kansas City
19:10 DRUlm That too
19:10 wizzyrea < lives near there
19:10 wizzyrea ;)
19:10 DRUlm I mean Koha-Community is nice, especially with the wacky new show called Community hitting rave reviews
19:10 DRUlm But K.C. is nice and short to be used to save typing
19:11 wizzyrea I don't think anybody would object to that abbreviation
19:11 wizzyrea I normally use
19:11 wizzyrea or k-c
19:11 DRUlm Also phonetically Kasey (at the bat) which is a famous library book no doubt
19:11 chris just dont call it KOHA-community
19:12 chris pet peeve
19:12 * owen 's too
19:12 * wizzyrea 's too
19:13 jdavidb @roulette
19:13 munin *BANG* Hey, who put a blank in here?!
19:13 * munin reloads and spins the chambers.
19:13 jdavidb Finally!
19:13 jdavidb left #koha
19:14 chris_n collum: LOL :D
19:14 DRUlm I agree, but is there a better thing?
19:14 DRUlm (or name I mean)?
19:15 chris than KOHA .. yes Koha
19:15 chris its a word not an acronym
19:15 owen How about we stick to "" so as not to muddy the waters at a sensitive time
19:15 owen And otherwise call it Koha, as there is only one Koha.
19:15 chris ok time to get the kids u[
19:15 chris p
19:15 DRUlm Oh I see "Community-Koha", ok well K.C. (yeah that is that the periods are all about), like C.H.U.D. (movie reference)
19:15 chris_n we should always use as the main site imho... make other urls pointers to that
19:16 DRUlm So C.K., that works too.
19:16 owen DRUlm: Under what circumstances are you finding it difficult to express this?
19:17 DRUlm owen, Koha it is, your statement reminds me of something said again and again in the Highlander movie, hmmmm, what was it?
19:17 DRUlm "There can only be one?"
19:17 DRUlm Actually, I think I just like "Koha"
19:26 DRUlm "There can only be one?" - The Highlander?
19:27 DRUlm Well, later all, it will all work out in the end. "How?" It's a mystery!
19:27 DRUlm left #koha
19:29 cait good night
19:29 cait left #koha
19:34 mib_ukk54c joined #koha
19:34 mib_ukk54c left #koha
19:46 jcamins left #koha
19:53 bgkriegel joined #koha
20:10 collum left #koha
20:21 owen left #koha
20:22 wizzyrea gmcharlt: will kmkale's receipt print patch make it into the alpha? or is it a feature, thus not eligible for inclusion
20:22 wizzyrea ?
20:23 wizzyrea fines* receipts
20:33 chris back
20:34 larsw joined #koha
20:34 chris[…]oks-on-libraries/
20:35 mbreeding left #koha
20:35 wizzyrea oi vey
20:35 chris yah
20:36 larsw sad
20:36 larsw (he says, not having used a public library since 1994)
20:36 jwagner owen or chris (or anyone else), do you know where in the system it's told to use the XSLT stylesheets by name?  Not the syspref that says on or off, but if on, go find e.g. MARC21slim2OPACDetail.xsl and apply it?
20:36 chris we need to make the case they can save money by collaborating and using free software, instead of laying off staff and/or rental charges
20:36 jwagner I can't find it anywhere.  I'm wondering if it's a setting somewhere in one of the MySQL tables.
20:37 gmcharlt wizzyrea: feature, so 3.4 unless it is completely obvious that it can't break anything
20:37 wizzyrea k ty
20:37 wizzyrea (was what I figured, but someone asked)
20:37 chris jwagner: looking now
20:39 jwagner I have a working revision on Bug 4394 (opaccolorstylesheet setting), and I thought I'd poke at allowing an external XSLT stylesheet as well.  Darned if I can find it, though....
20:39 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=4394 enhancement, P5, ---,, ASSIGNED, opaccolorstylesheet syspref won't allow an external URL
20:39 richard joined #koha
20:39 richard hi
20:40 chris hi richard
20:41 gmcharlt wizzyrea: speaking of which, have you seen the patch itself? not in my patches inbox
20:41 chris yeah havent seen it
20:41 sekjal left #koha
20:41 collum joined #koha
20:41 wizzyrea hm, no I haven't seen it
20:42 wizzyrea he said he sent it
20:47 reed joined #koha
20:47 wizzyrea I don't see it :(
20:47 wizzyrea he'll be back probably :)
20:47 chris jwagner: its in C4/
20:48 chris inside sub XSLTParse4Display {
20:48 chris starting round line 147 in master is where it sets the xslt file
20:51 jwagner AHA.  I was searching for the actual file name, and this is building the filename based on marc flavor.  Thanks.
20:52 jwagner Now.  Has anyone figured out how to create a new syspref in Jesse's new editor?
20:52 chris yep
20:53 * jwagner should have added "without resorting to a direct MySQL edit" :-)
20:53 * larsw thinks chris should give a fastcgi+nginx talk at kohacon
20:53 chris ah, in that case no
20:53 chris you need to edit the prefs file
20:54 chris and the db
20:54 jwagner Hrmmm.  OK, I'll have jdavidb create one for me.  I don't speak MySQL enough to muck around with the db.
20:54 chris larsw: can do
20:54 chris maybe at the developers conference bit after?
20:54 jwagner (Am trying to do this on a current head server -- it would be easier on my older-level sandbox, sigh.)
20:54 larsw chris, that might be better
20:56 chris_n gmcharlt: I have gave munin a message for km_kale regarding that patch
20:57 chris_n I was helping with it, but apparently his git is not configured right for sendmail
20:57 chris_n until then, the patch can be seen here:
20:58 chris_n where it was pasted earlier
20:58 chris until i reboot the server and flush /tmp anyway :)
20:58 * jwagner thinks that's enough for one day -- see you later
20:58 chris_n ttyl
20:59 magnus left #koha
20:59 jwagner left #koha
21:02 schuster by friends
21:03 schuster left #koha
21:19 Nate gnight all!
21:19 Nate left #koha
21:21 bgkriegel left #koha
21:46 chris nice to see the vokal people on the list :)
22:03 chris_n yup, been awhile since we heard from them
22:15 reed larsw, hooray, now that my freaking quad core laptop has arrived I can help test package installs in various vm's without worrying my mouse might slow down
22:15 larsw reed, yay
22:35 rhcl is now known as rhcl_away
23:06 GeorgeSue joined #koha
23:09 GeorgeSue left #koha
23:10 mason oooh. how bout this....
23:10 mason[…]change-your-life/
23:18 mason[…]-Codecs-Than-H264
23:21 jo joined #koha
23:50 mason anyone got any ideas on fixing a corrupt *.marc file?
23:50 mason using yaz-client perhaps...?
23:51 mason or another yaz-* tool poss.
23:54 chris_n heya mason
23:54 mason heya back
23:55 mason im poking at yaz-iconv..
23:55 mason yaz-iconv -f ISO-8859-1 -t UTF-8 -X <input.lst >output.lst
23:56 mason ive got some vague memory of this tool stripping out the bad marc-record from the problem file...

| Channels | #koha index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | plain, newest first | summary