IRC log for #koha, 2010-03-03

All times shown according to UTC.

Time S Nick Message
00:06 Nate left #koha
00:12 ropuch left #koha
00:15 collum left #koha
00:26 bankhead left #koha
00:28 bankhead joined #koha
00:30 bgkriegel left #koha
00:33 chris oh nice
00:33 chris got a url chris_n ?
01:10 pianohackr|work chris: Just saw your comment about getting healed up; what did you mean?
01:10 chris didnt you bust your arm?
01:10 chris or hand
01:11 chris before xmas i think
01:11 pianohackr|work broke some fingers, but that was last september :) All healed up and rehabbed
01:12 chris phew i wasnt going mad
01:13 pianohackr|work parents keep _threatening_ to break an arm, but I think they're kidding
01:13 chris don't be too sure :)
01:23 bankhead left #koha
01:24 bankhead joined #koha
01:32 Genji okay, seems something is triggering new zebrasrv processes, just found two new zebrasrv's started now... and then they go away...
01:58 biglego joined #koha
02:01 bankhead left #koha
02:05 gmcharlt Genji: zebrasrv spawns a chld for an active connection
02:07 pianohackr|work left #koha
02:15 richard left #koha
02:16 richard joined #koha
02:28 masonj[…]-World-Litigation
02:29 masonj endless fail...
02:34 richard left #koha
03:21 brendan left #koha
03:27 Amit_G joined #koha
03:33 brendan joined #koha
03:48 Amit_G hi all
03:48 Amit_G heya brendan, chris, chris_n
03:57 brendan hey Amit_G
03:57 brendan have a great day :)
04:46 CGI207 joined #koha
04:48 CGI207 hi all
04:48 CGI207 I post my query already here but I have not got answer plz assist me in this regard
04:49 CGI207 I installed KOHA-3.00.04_fixed on debian-lenny but "CATALOGUE SEARCH" from search is not working?
04:49 CGI207 how should I resolve this Question?
04:49 ebegin joined #koha
04:51 Genji .... how do i get it to use a different koha-conf.xml file?
04:52 Amit_G heya Genji
05:03 CGI207 Genji: I had tried it but still not working
05:04 Genji CGI207: you have tried indexing using zebra?
05:04 CGI207 NO, How can I try indexing using zebra.. plz suggest step by step as Im new user
05:05 CGI390 joined #koha
05:05 Genji @later
05:05 munin Genji: Error: "later" is not a valid command.
05:07 Amit_G @wunder Bangalore
05:08 munin Amit_G: The current temperature in Bangalore, India is 22.0�C (8:30 AM IST on March 03, 2010). Conditions: Clear. Humidity: 48%. Dew Point: 14.0�C.
05:08 Amit_G @wunder New Delhi
05:08 munin Amit_G: The current temperature in New Delhi, India is 24.0�C (10:00 AM IST on March 03, 2010). Conditions: Smoke. Humidity: 41%. Dew Point: 10.0�C. Pressure: 29.83 in 1010 hPa (Rising).
05:08 Amit_G @wunder Dehradun
05:08 munin Amit_G: The current temperature in Dehradun, India is 18.0�C (8:30 AM IST on March 03, 2010). Conditions: Scattered Clouds. Humidity: 49%. Dew Point: 10.0�C. Pressure: 29.75 in 1007 hPa.
05:23 CGI207 left #koha
05:25 CGI390 Genji: could u help me in this regard
05:26 CGI207 joined #koha
05:26 CGI207 plz help me Im hanged in this problem since two weeks
05:26 CGI207 catalgue search frm my system is not working
05:36 Amit_G heya CGI207 r u using zebra or no zebra
05:39 CGI207 Amit_G Im using zebra
05:40 ebegin left #koha
05:46 CGI207 I have posted error on this
05:53 mib_q6ypie joined #koha
05:53 mib_q6ypie left #koha
05:53 CGI149 joined #koha
05:56 CGI149 left #koha
06:54 CGI207 hi all
06:55 CGI207 I have put Question on this frum already
06:55 CGI207 cataloging search from z39.50 is working but catalogue search from my pc is not working
06:58 nicomo joined #koha
07:00 CGI207 I have engaged in this problem for 2 weeks
07:00 CGI207 could any one help me in this regard
07:24 Amit_G left #koha
07:28 paul_p left #koha
07:29 nahuel left #koha
07:35 psychokiller left #koha
07:39 magnus joined #koha
07:39 hdl_laptop joined #koha
07:39 CGI207
07:40 CGI207 Help?
07:40 CGI207 needed
07:42 hdl_laptop left #koha
07:56 francharb joined #koha
08:01 brendan @quote random
08:01 munin brendan: Quote #39: "chris <chris> nope, ive made it my aim in life not to learn js or html" (added by ricardo at 02:00 PM, October 07, 2009)
08:01 brendan @wunder 93117
08:01 munin brendan: The current temperature in Northwest Goleta, Goleta, California is 9.9�C (11:56 PM PST on March 02, 2010). Conditions: Clear. Humidity: 82%. Dew Point: 7.0�C. Windchill: 10.0�C. Pressure: 30.02 in 1016.5 hPa (Steady).
08:03 paul_p joined #koha
08:03 paul_p hello world
08:04 brendan heya paul_p
08:05 * brendan heads for bed
08:05 brendan night all
08:05 paul_p sweet dreams brendan
08:14 nahuel joined #koha
08:14 amadan Hello Folks, gmcharlt:when i run " -b -a -z -v" it gives me the zebra configuration information
08:15 amadan reindexing zebra, records exported: 0
08:16 amadan under exporting authority
08:16 amadan anything i can do?
08:18 amadan still get no records found Biblios in reservoir none after running  a catlog search although the books are in the database
08:21 magnus amadan: -z only indexes recently updated records, have you tried without it?
08:23 * magnus wonders if having in a dir called migration_tools makes sense...
08:24 chris originally it was for migration, you run it after a bulkimport
08:24 chris but it now serves 2 purposes
08:26 magnus ah, i see
08:35 hdl_laptop joined #koha
08:40 amadan magnus: i run it, it exported 6 records, exactly the amount in the database but it still did not show in the search
08:42 magnus amadan: time to check the logs then, i think. have a look in /var/log/koha if you have a standard install
08:43 amadan ok
08:43 chris amadan: zebrasrv is definitely running eh?
08:43 chris and nozebra is switched off in systempreferences?
08:44 amadan sure
08:48 dewkira joined #koha
08:49 amadan one moment
08:52 hdl_laptop left #koha
08:52 * paul_p just removed all links to in and replaced by
08:52 paul_p (that was just 2 in fact)
08:52 chris :)
08:53 amadan koha-zebra-daemon starts the zebrasrv right?
08:54 chris if its configured right
08:54 chris ps axf | grep "zebrasrv"
08:54 chris to check its running
08:56 davi joined #koha
08:58 amadan seems its running
09:00 chris cool
09:01 chris how i debug often is to do this
09:01 chris sudo /etc/init.d/koha-zebra-daemon stop
09:01 chris sudo su - koha
09:01 chris zebrasrv -f /etc/koha-conf.xml
09:02 chris then try a search
09:02 chris and you will be able to see exactly what zebra is doing
09:07 amadan zebrasrv -f /etc/koha/koha-conf.xml responds zebrasrv not found
09:08 dewkira hi, i am new to koha and fairly new to perl also with no knowlege of library management. I need to modify (remove what is not needed) some of fields of catalogue and patrons. Is there any tutorials about doing such things, Please help ..
09:11 chris amadan: interesting, can you check the /etc/init.d/koha-zebra-daemon script and see what the path to zebrasrv is?
09:11 amadan Chris: zebrasrv -f /etc/koha/koha-conf.xml responds zebrasrv not found but then running "ps axf | grep zebrasrv " shows it is running as a process. Wha do
09:11 amadan what do i do
09:11 chris ah ha, does that ps axf only show one line?
09:12 chris it should at least 2, one being the grep itself, and one the actual zebrasrv running
09:12 chris and if you did the stop, it should definitely not be running
09:12 amadan 4163 pts/0 S+ 0:00 rep zebrarv
09:12 chris and thats all?
09:12 amadan yep
09:12 chris right its not running
09:12 chris try
09:12 amadan exactly
09:12 chris sudo /etc/init.d/koha-zebra-daemon start
09:13 chris then try the grep again
09:13 chris if its still not running then that is your problem
09:16 amadan 4185 pts/0 S+ 0:00 \_grep zebrasrv
09:16 chris and thats all?
09:16 amadan yep
09:16 chris if so, zebra is not running
09:17 amadan really?
09:17 chris nope definitely not
09:17 chris all that is reporting is your grep
09:18 chris can you look at the /etc/init.d/koha-zebra-daemon file?
09:18 amadan when u say look at u mean cat /etc/init.d/koha-zebra-daemon file?
09:19 amadan sure
09:19 chris sure, or open it in a text editor
09:19 chris what does the line that starts with
09:19 chris ZEBRASRV=
09:19 chris say?
09:20 amadan "/zebrasrv"
09:21 amadan should that be what it should report?
09:21 chris nope
09:21 chris sounds a lot like zebra isnt actually installed
09:22 amadan really
09:22 chris or if it is, its somewhere that didnt get found by the installer, and not in your path either
09:22 chris yeah when you tried to run zebrasrv it said command doesnt exist
09:22 chris try
09:22 chris locate zebrasrv
09:23 chris id expect it in /usr/bin
09:23 amadan just installed locate, a moment
09:23 chris what distro are you running?
09:24 amadan lenny
09:24 amadan zebra
09:24 amadan sorry
09:24 amadan debian lenny
09:25 amadan i guess it needs to do some indexing first
09:25 chris sudo apt-get install idzebra-2.0
09:25 amadan no installation candidate
09:26 chris well that pretty much confirms its not installed
09:27 amadan when i run a search in zebra it connects to other databases around the globe
09:27 chris yeah, that doesnt use zebra
09:27 chris did you follow step 1.3 of the INSTALL.debian-lenny file?
09:28 amadan sure did
09:28 amadan it was a fresh install so i basically run with the script
09:29 chris the 1.3 bit is adding indexdata to the sources
09:29 chris if you did that, then your wouldnt have got the no installation candidate message
09:29 chris Edit your /etc/apt/sources.list file and add the following:
09:29 chris
09:29 chris # Index Data
09:29 chris deb lenny main
09:29 chris deb-src lenny main
09:30 chris you have those lines in the sources.list file eh?
09:32 amadan a:wq!
09:32 amadan sorry
09:32 amadan working on 4 screens at the same time
09:32 CGI390 I have also problem in catalogue search from my system
09:39 CGI207 left #koha
09:39 amadan idzebra-2.0 is installed
09:40 chris right, now you will have to fix the path in the init.d script
09:41 chris then start it, and do the again
09:41 amadan what do i fix it to?
09:41 chris in debian it will be /usr/bin/zebrasrv
09:42 chris -r -a -b -v
09:42 chris is what you want to run after that
09:45 amadan :-D have done that
09:45 amadan what next try searching?
09:46 chris (youve started zebra eh?)
09:46 chris what does ps axf | grep "zebrasrv"
09:46 chris show now?
09:46 chris if more than just the grep line, then yep try searching
09:47 CGI390 left #koha
09:49 amadan it had a number of lines (the ps) but the data did not display, do i have to restaart the server or something?
09:50 JollyBen joined #koha
09:50 chris nope
09:51 chris shouldnt need to
09:51 JollyBen Hi folks!
09:51 chris ok stop it
09:51 amadan ok
09:51 chris then run
09:51 chris sudo -u koha zebrasrv -f /etc/koha-conf.xml
09:52 chris and try your search
09:53 JollyBen I need to know why ain't running...No branchcode argument to new.  Should be C4::Calendar->new(branchcode => $branchcode) at /usr/share/koha/bin/cronjobs/ line 102
09:53 chris (you did run as the koha user as well eh?)
09:53 amadan no i run it as root
09:53 amadan will do as koha
09:54 chris well if you did it as root, the permissions will be a mess now
09:55 chris i have to go to sleep now, maybe someone else can help you fix the permissions
09:55 amadan i think  messed up the permissions
09:56 amadan i run it as koha and a lot of permission denied popped up
09:57 amadan Could any one help me fix the permissions in koha?
09:58 amadan pleaseeeeee
10:02 JollyBen can't calculate fines at all, i need some help please
10:19 JollyBen anyone there?
10:20 nahuel left #koha
10:23 JollyBen I nned some help friends
10:29 dewkira left #koha
10:31 nahuel joined #koha
10:40 magnus sorry JellyBean, i'm not familiar with the fines scripts...
10:45 kf joined #koha
10:57 slef` is now known as slef
10:57 slef thd: please don't ask me if I'm here.  /msg me and I'll read it next day at worst, usually.
10:59 JollyBen left #koha
11:04 CGI768 joined #koha
11:04 CGI768 Hello
11:05 slef belated apologies for not being at yesterday's meeting.  It's been rather busy here
11:06 gmcharlt no worries
11:07 francharb left #koha
11:08 CGI768 Hello
11:09 CGI768 how do I access MySQL to see the tables
11:09 CGI768 I'm using Koha Virtual Image
11:11 CGI768 Helloooooooooo
11:14 slef I think you need kyle really
11:14 slef but mysql -u kohaadminUserName -p koha and then give the koha admin password should work
11:14 slef replacing kohaadminUserName and the password as needed
11:15 slef I don't know the Virtual Image enough to remember the username and password or where to find them, but I suspect you'll have used them when testing the librarian interface?
11:17 CGI768 I see..thanks
11:17 CGI768 yes the username for root is root:katikoan
11:17 CGI768 I'll try that
11:17 slef bbl
11:19 CGI768 perfect
11:20 CGI768 thank you slef
11:20 CGI768 mysql -u root -p koha
11:20 CGI768 password:  kaitkoan
11:21 Genji okay..
11:22 Genji foreach my $ele ($tag->subfields()){
11:22 Genji my ($label, $val) = @{$ele};
11:23 Genji $label will be the subfield 1 2 3 etc?
11:23 gmcharlt it will be the subfield label - a, b, 2, x, y, z etc.
11:24 Genji so if i want to replace a subfield, i do $tag->update($label => $newval)?
11:25 gmcharlt yes
11:25 gmcharlt but if the subfield is repeated in the field, note that that will update only the first occurrence of the subfield
11:25 Genji and then modmarcbiblio
11:25 Genji ah... hmm.
11:26 Genji how do i take care of those situations?
11:26 gmcharlt ModBiblio()
11:26 Genji i need to execute a triming of all my marc field 653 subjects.
11:27 gmcharlt create a new MARC::Field object, build it up to suit, then do $tag->replace_with($new_tag);
11:28 Genji hmm... field 653 is the subject field that this framework uses. And it seems each subject is on a new subfield...
11:34 Amit_G joined #koha
11:34 biglego left #koha
11:35 Genji just update followed by modbibliomarc? why have i been using delete_field and insert_fields_ordered then?
11:37 gmcharlt why, indeed? ;)
11:44 psychokiller joined #koha
11:45 psychokiller left #koha
11:46 CGI768 Any idea how to dump the result of "show tables" command in a file ?  the number of tables are large 116 tables
11:47 psychokiller joined #koha
11:47 psychokiller hi
11:48 psychokiller I set up Ubuntu 9.10 Server
11:48 psychokiller in a virtual box
11:48 psychokiller with a LAMP server
11:48 psychokiller so how can I download and install Koha there ?
11:49 amadan I was working withChris on my koha installation, unfortunately i run " -r -a -b -v" as root which messed up my permissions as koha. Could anyone help me restore this?
11:50 amadan I really need help
11:55 psychokiller as Ubuntu Server has no GUI how do I download Koha from there ?
11:55 psychokiller what's the command i need to give ?
12:03 kmkale joined #koha
12:05 kmkale hi all
12:06 Genji left #koha
12:06 nengard joined #koha
12:06 psychokiller hi
12:06 Amit_G left #koha
12:07 gmcharlt amadan: you could resolve it by stopping zebrasrv, and using chown to set the ownership of the Zebra data files back to koha, then rerun rebuild_zebra
12:07 magnus psychokiller: follow the instructions here:[…]LL.ubuntu;hb=HEAD especially 1.4
12:09 psychokiller does Koha have a GUI /
12:09 psychokiller ?
12:10 psychokiller when and if i successfully set it up will i have a GUI ?
12:10 psychokiller i mean in Ubuntu Server 9.10
12:11 fredericd WUI
12:11 psychokiller what's that ?
12:13 CGI768 left #koha
12:14 magnus Web UI, i would gess
12:14 kmkale Guyz / gals I have a query about multilingual searches using zebra particularly data having indian ( devanagari ) uft8 characters
12:14 kmkale from version 3.0 to 3.0.5 I have had to use ICU to correctly search
12:15 kmkale I use following procedure to configure koha to search correctly. PLease tell me if its the right thing to do..
12:15 kmkale 1) Copy following files from /usr/share/idzebra-2.0/tab/ to /etc/koha/zebradb/etc/
12:15 kmkale icu.idx, phrases-icu.xml, string.chr, words-icu.xml
12:15 kmkale 2) change ownership of all copied files to koha:koha
12:15 kmkale 3) Edit /etc/koha/zebradb/zebra-biblios.cfg add line index: icu.idx
12:15 kmkale 4) zebra server and queue daemons
12:15 kmkale 5) Rebuild zebra index
12:15 amadan gmcharlt: where would the zebra data files be located? " chown 777 /usr/share/koha/" ?
12:16 psychokiller im talking about this : will I be able to see this in my UBUNTU Server 9.10 or not ?
12:17 psychokiller something like this
12:17 gmcharlt amadan: /var/lib/koha/zebradb, possibly
12:18 kmkale Please tell me if there is a correct / better method ?
12:24 magnus is now known as magnus_lunch
12:25 kmkale ??
12:29 biglego joined #koha
12:30 kmkale is this just a bad time or am I not asking in the right manner?
12:33 amadan thx gmcharlt
12:37 jwagner joined #koha
12:43 gmcharlt kmkale: if it works for you, I don't see anything obviously problematic in the setup
12:43 kmkale gmcharlt: I am asking this for two reasons
12:44 kmkale one is its the correct way and how are others doing i
12:44 kmkale second is am I missing out on some search results because of this modifications?
12:45 kmkale because if I search with the default config privided with koha, I get all absolutely unrelated search results
12:46 kmkale for example for a text "काळे" I get housands of results with no ordering i.e. most of the first few pages have no "काळे" in them..
12:46 kmkale but if i do hese changes I get results with "काळे" somewhere in either author or itle
12:46 kf kmkale: without icu it wont work
12:47 kmkale ok. so is this the RIGHT way of usinf ICU with zebra?
12:47 kf kmkale: without icu indexing we got all results with hebrew characters with every search
12:48 kmkale kf: yes I see similar devanagari results
12:48 kf kmkale: I think yes, but my colleague does those things for me :) we tweaked the icu-chains a bit
12:48 kf kmkale: to ignore diacritics in search and when searching ö you will also find results with oe
12:49 hdl_laptop joined #koha
12:50 kmkale ok I understand that and will look for similars in devanagari. anything else I should watch out for?
12:50 kf hdl_laptop can perhaps help you with icu-indexing.
12:50 kf we had problem with some search options
12:51 kf if there are problems I would try to turn them off and on for testing
12:51 kmkale kf : till 3.0.4 I had to urn off queryfuzzy
12:52 kmkale in 3.0.5 it works without turning it off
12:52 kf ah, will try that later :)
12:52 jdavidb joined #koha
12:53 kmkale hdl_laptop : since you have just joined and as suggested by kf you may be able to help with icu may I repeat my question?
12:54 hdl_laptop you may
12:55 nengard morning all
12:55 kmkale hdl_laptop: query about multilingual searches using zebra particularly data having indian ( devanagari ) uft8 characters
12:55 kmkale from version 3.0 to 3.0.5 I have had to use ICU to correctly search
12:56 kmkale I use following procedure to configure koha to search correctly. PLease tell me if its the right thing to do..
12:56 kmkale 1) Copy following files from /usr/share/idzebra-2.0/tab/ to /etc/koha/zebradb/etc/
12:56 kmkale icu.idx, phrases-icu.xml, string.chr, words-icu.xml
12:56 kmkale 2) change ownership of all copied files to koha:koha
12:56 kmkale 3) Edit /etc/koha/zebradb/zebra-biblios.cfg add line index: icu.idx
12:56 kmkale 4) restart zebra server and queue daemons
12:56 kmkale 5) Rebuild zebra index
12:56 kmkale Please tell me if there is a correct / better method ?
13:00 hdl_laptop kmkale: do you use string.chr ?
13:00 hdl_laptop kmkale: if so what for ?
13:02 tomascohen joined #koha
13:02 hdl_laptop kmkale: I would not use the icu.idx in /usr/share/idzebra-2.0/tab
13:02 hdl_laptop since it misses some important indexes.
13:02 hdl_laptop (n y for instance)
13:02 kmkale hdl_laptop: dont use it directly, but if I dont have the file in the folder i get errors in logs
13:03 kmkale hdl_laptop: so what would you suggest?
13:03 hdl_laptop I sent onlist a link to a patch for icu useage.
13:03 kmkale let me look it up
13:04 hdl_laptop[…]2150b6234bb8c7dbf
13:05 hdl_laptop here it is
13:05 chris_n @later tell chris Here: http://www.librarytechnology.o[…]
13:05 munin chris_n: The operation succeeded.
13:06 gmcharlt chris_n: note that Marshall is just copying ByWater's release
13:06 kmkale yes reading it
13:06 gmcharlt he isn't necessarily adopting itself
13:06 gmcharlt *himself
13:07 kmkale hdl_laptop: but thats  just the icu.xml
13:08 hdl_laptop kmkale: nope it edits the default.idx
13:10 kmkale Prior to zebradb-2.0 I used to copy words-icu.xml to icu.xml
13:10 chris_n gmcharlt: even so, it is a widely read forum
13:10 chris_n so good PR for the new site
13:10 kmkale but since idzebra-2.0 i have used icu.idx
13:11 gmcharlt eh, only if Marshall were to start turning URL references into hyperlinks - no Google juice otherwise :)
13:15 kmkale hdl_laptop: where does the icu.xml file come from? I get sudo dpkg -S icu.xml
13:15 kmkale idzebra-2.0-common: /usr/share/idzebra-2.0/tab/phrases-icu.xml
13:15 kmkale idzebra-2.0-common: /usr/share/idzebra-2.0/tab/words-icu.xml
13:16 paul_p2 joined #koha
13:16 owen joined #koha
13:17 kmkale hdl_laptop : OOPS right its a new file in the patch. OK let me try it after ahanging the locale. Thanks
13:17 chris_n gmcharlt: I sent off a suggestion to that effect fwiw
13:20 paul_p left #koha
13:31 hdl_laptop jwagner: around ?
13:31 jwagner Yes
13:31 hdl_laptop hi
13:31 jwagner Bonjour!
13:32 hdl_laptop I read two days ago you were to do a new tool for batch biblio edition.
13:32 hdl_laptop Aren't you ?
13:32 tekonivel it seems i cannot install new languages via the admin interface...
13:32 hdl_laptop (you mean PTFS here)
13:32 jwagner Batch edit, yes.  Bug 3509
13:32 tekonivel i need to get file-level access to the server running Koha, i think
13:32 jwagner That's one of the things we'll need to look at what you've already done and see how to merge ours in.
13:33 * jwagner notices munin isn't running. Oh, the horror!
13:33 gmcharlt @quote random
13:33 munin gmcharlt: Quote #19: "<chris> i just want to yell things like don't kick the ball, pass it and Feed the backs" (added by jdavidb at 08:11 AM, July 27, 2009)
13:33 hdl_laptop tekonivel: yes you have to install translations with translate install your-codes
13:33 gmcharlt jwagner: works for me?
13:33 hdl_laptop bug3509
13:34 hdl_laptop bug 3509
13:34 jwagner @bug 3509
13:34 munin jwagner: Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=3509 enhancement, P5, ---,, ASSIGNED, Batch item edit
13:34 jdavidb @quote random
13:34 munin jdavidb: Quote #38: "<owen> Holy Bugzilla activity explosion, Batman!" (added by ricardo at 10:00 AM, October 07, 2009)
13:34 hdl_laptop jwagner: what i had done was used after search.
13:34 jwagner Maybe bugzilla was the problem -- it's very slow responding.
13:35 hdl_laptop But maybe using and enhancing lists could be better for that purpose
13:35 jwagner This is the one we were talking about the other day, where you do it through the Lists?
13:35 hdl_laptop yes.
13:35 hdl_laptop merging biblios
13:35 tekonivel hdl_laptop: ok thanks for the tip, i'm looking now for some documentation about that
13:36 jwagner I think there's room for both approaches -- yours is better when someone has already identified specific records, ours allows searching
13:38 jwagner Yours allows some control over which MARC fields get merged, which is nice.
13:40 jwagner Sorry, I'm conflating two things here.  batch item edit allows editing.  Your Lists feature and our Bug 4283 are bib merge.
13:40 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=4283 enhancement, P5, ---,, ASSIGNED, Merge bibliographic records
13:40 biglego looking to migrate from to in looking at the tables to see what i need i can migrate I'm not finding which tables store ccode and location
13:41 biglego i could recreate, but I think I should be able to just move them
13:41 jwagner biglego, they're authorized values, in that table
13:42 biglego cool, thanks thought I was going nuts
13:43 * jdavidb thinks "going nuts" might actually be useful around here, sometimes.
13:43 * jwagner thinks "...GOING???"
13:43 * jwagner thinks some of us have been nuts for YEARS!
13:43 jdavidb Harrrrumph!
13:44 jwagner Anyway, hdl_laptop, both bib merge and batch edit are things where we're going to have to see how ours and yours can play nicely together :-)
13:45 psychokiller left #koha
13:46 * chris_n thinks now he'll have some company
13:46 chris_n with everyone going nuts that is
13:46 jwagner I was wondering -- about to get hurt feelings with you thinking we weren't good company :-)
13:47 magnus_lunch is now known as magnus
13:47 gmcharlt jwagner: hdl_laptop: out of both approaches will come something really nice for 3.4, I'm sure
13:48 jwagner We'll figure something out :-)  There are four or five features where we've done parallel development & will have to reconcile.
13:58 chris_n does anyone just happen to be using a dell in2010n monitor with gnome?
14:06 schuster joined #koha
14:08 schuster in reserves can anyone tell me what the constrainttype is?  I see a in all of mine, but we do copy specific holds?
14:08 schuster "a" that is and no other options in that column just wondering what it is.
14:09 jwagner schuster, doublecheck with chris, but I think from previous discussions that the constrainttype was a holdover from an earlier version, which doesn't presently have a use.
14:10 jwagner We were talking about resurrecting it for a situation where any one of a number of titles could satisfy a hold.
14:11 schuster Ok thanks - I'm just trying to make sure the tweak I did is working for copy specific holds only - we are not allowing first available, but I had a call from someone saying it wanted to transfer a hold to another school.
14:12 schuster Everything in the reserves table has an itemnumber so they should all be copy specific.  will have to investigate further!
14:17 kmkale bye all
14:17 kmkale left #koha
14:19 hdl_laptop jwagner: should we plan a meeting for that ?
14:28 gmcharlt hdl_laptop: jwagner: if you don't mind, I think it would be a good idea to have a more general public meeting to identify all parallel developments
14:28 jwagner Sorry, was off on another screen.  Eventually, yes.  I haven't yet had a chance to take a thorough look at the current 3.2 and identify all our parallels.
14:29 paul_p2 nengard: around ?
14:29 nengard yes
14:29 paul_p2 is now known as paul_p
14:29 paul_p good morning nengard
14:29 jwagner Some of them will be fairly easy to manage; I think our batch edits can work together.  Others might be harder.
14:29 nengard good morning - or should I say afternoon :)
14:30 owen Hi nengard
14:31 nengard hiya owen!
14:31 nengard chris_n around?
14:46 schuster It does bother me some that we have "parallel development" going on.  This is where if people are doing development or planning it - how helpful that would be to be in bugzilla.  Not after the fact.
14:47 schuster Maybe the two groups of programmers could collaborate reducing the cost to both of their clients - assuming they were paid for developments.
14:49 jwagner schuster, ideally, yes.  The mechanisms weren't really in place when the development started, and I suspect we had clients with different requirements.  Something to plan for the future, though.
14:49 schuster Don't plan do...  that seems to be the only way I get things done.
15:08 tomascohen left #koha
15:10 chris_n nengard: here now
15:10 nengard a while back I sent you @ later message on irc
15:10 nengard but i forget what i asked :) hehe - it was label documentation related
15:12 chris_n I got it, but was not able to address it then... and now I've forgotten as well :'(
15:12 chris_n something about profiles maybe?
15:13 chris_n @later help
15:13 munin chris_n: Error: The "Later" plugin is loaded, but there is no command named "help" in it.  Try "list Later" to see the commands in the "Later" plugin.
15:13 chris_n list later
15:13 nengard heh - maybe we can find it in the archive...
15:14 chris_n @later notes nengard:
15:14 munin chris_n: Sent 2 weeks, 3 days, 14 hours, and 43 minutes ago: <chris_n> I submitted a patch for the docbook documentation correcting some invalid markup
15:14 chris_n heh
15:14 chris_n @later notes chris_n
15:14 munin chris_n: Error: I have no notes for that nick.
15:14 nengard chris_n  --[…]10-02-25#i_401091
15:15 CGI680 joined #koha
15:15 chris_n ok, I'll put it on the todo list for later today and get back to you
15:15 nengard :)
15:15 chris_n @later notes
15:15 munin chris_n: I currently have notes waiting for chris, christ, gmcharlt:, hdl:, hdl_laptop:, LadyNight32, matts, nengard:, paul, Schuster:, sekjal:, seneca:, slef:, thd-away, and wizzyrea:.
15:16 nengard hey - what's waiting for me?? :)
15:16 chris_n interesting.... munin tells all
15:16 CGI680 Failed 1/24 test programs. 4/392 subtests failed.
15:16 chris_n @later notes nengard:
15:16 CGI680 make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 255
15:16 munin chris_n: Sent 2 weeks, 3 days, 14 hours, and 45 minutes ago: <chris_n> I submitted a patch for the docbook documentation correcting some invalid markup
15:16 CGI680 'lo all. I am just testing an install of the 3.04 and right at the end of "make test" I get this error:
15:16 CGI680 Failed 1/24 test programs. 4/392 subtests failed.
15:16 CGI680 make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 255
15:16 chris_n nengard: a typo in your nick
15:16 CGI680 Sorry for the double post
15:16 chris_n ie ':'
15:17 nengard oh!
15:19 CGI680 left #koha
15:23 nengard chris_n - new critical bug .... sorry :(
15:23 chris_n I think there's a bug for that already
15:25 chris_n` joined #koha
15:25 gmcharlt cfouts++ # just because
15:25 chris_n` maybe it was me
15:27 chris_n` nengard: see if bug 3530 is not the same issue
15:27 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=3530 normal, P5, ---,, NEW, Auto label batch generation feature of the bulk import tool fails
15:29 nengard how do i know if there was or wasn't a branch code?
15:29 chris_n`` joined #koha
15:29 chris_n`` nengard: see if bug 3530 is not the same issue
15:29 nengard yep - i looked - but how do i know if there was or wasn't a branch code in my import?
15:30 ebegin joined #koha
15:31 chris_n`` once bug 3529 is fixed the batch creation should work fine
15:31 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=3529 major, P5, ---,, NEW, Import of items with non-existent branch code fails w/o explaination
15:32 nengard right - but how do i test to see if the problem in my case is really a missing branch code?
15:33 chris_n`` did your items contain a branchcode that is current in the db you imported them into?
15:33 chris_n left #koha
15:34 chris_n`` also, was there anything in the error log that might help?
15:34 chris_n`` is now known as chris_n
15:34 chris_n too many of me today :)
15:34 gmcharlt not possible
15:35 chris_n ahh.. but we don't get along so well with ourselves ;)
15:35 owen Can hdl_laptop paul_p nahuel nicomo or anyone else at BibLibre comment on Bug 4036? Kyle has submitted a patch to make it work, but I'm still curious whether the original intention was to block all checkouts for patrons with overdues (or items due today)?
15:35 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=4036 blocker, P5, ---,, ASSIGNED, Two conditions missing from circ template messages: USERBLOCKEDOVERDUE  and USERBLOCKEDREMAINING
15:36 nahuel owen, hi
15:36 ebegin good morning
15:36 ebegin @wunder montreal, quebec
15:36 munin ebegin: The current temperature in Montreal, Quebec is -1.0�C (10:00 AM EST on March 03, 2010). Conditions: Mostly Cloudy. Humidity: 64%. Dew Point: -7.0�C. Windchill: -8.0�C. Pressure: 29.86 in 1011 hPa (Falling).
15:37 nengard chris_n - i don't remember it was an old batch - i'll try a new fresh one today
15:37 gmcharlt owen: one thing - I'm going to be making it possible to have USERBLOCKEDOVERDUE  be overridable per discussion on list
15:37 jdavidb @wunder 20817
15:37 munin jdavidb: The current temperature in Langley Fork Park, McLean, Virginia is 3.4�C (10:36 AM EST on March 03, 2010). Conditions: Overcast. Humidity: 84%. Dew Point: 1.0�C. Windchill: 3.0�C. Pressure: 29.63 in 1003.3 hPa (Falling).
15:37 wizzyrea gmcharlt: I know you're terribly awfully busy... any movement on the holds issues?
15:37 nahuel owen, we did another style bugfix
15:37 nahuel owen, i'll comment
15:37 nahuel or nicomo
15:37 chris_n` left #koha
15:38 wizzyrea nahuel! we missed you
15:38 gmcharlt wizzyrea: I'll being working on it this week - now that a library go-live is underway and I'm starting to recover from by C4L cold, I'll have time
15:38 nahuel wizzyrea, where ? :)
15:38 nahuel when ?
15:38 wizzyrea sick_gmcharlt--
15:38 nahuel héhé
15:38 nahuel i'm always here !
15:38 nahuel just ping me
15:38 wizzyrea but you hardly ever talk anymore :)
15:38 nahuel and i'll be there for you
15:38 wizzyrea gmcharlt: sweet
15:39 nahuel wizzyrea, because i working a loooot :)
15:40 wizzyrea and we appreciate it, nahuel :)
15:40 nahuel héhé
15:40 nahuel but don't hesitate to ping me :)
15:40 nahuel i'll always answer if i'm front of my computer
15:48 wizzyrea hey, opinions on this re: the item detail display + holds:
15:49 owen I like your suggestion wizzyrea
15:50 wizzyrea I will file an enhancement request for it I think
15:51 wizzyrea because it *is* confusing
15:51 wizzyrea we thought it was a bug
15:53 ccurry joined #koha
15:54 wizzyrea oh is very slow atm
15:54 ccurry Hello all; trying to set up SIP for Koha 3.0 on Debian Lenny, following instructions at[…]/sip2-integration.
15:54 ccurry ran perl -I./ ./ ./SIPServer.xml >~/sip_log.out 2>~/sip_log.err &
15:55 ccurry tried to telnet to the server: telnet localhost 8023
15:55 ccurry Looked at sip_log.err
15:55 ccurry
15:56 ccurry Looks like my PERL5LIB variable is not set
15:56 ccurry but it is set for the user that started the server (in .bashrc)
15:56 ccurry any ideas?
15:57 hdl_laptop install Net::Server::Prefork
15:57 gmcharlt sudo apt-get install libnet-server-perl     if you're running Debian or Ubuntu
15:57 ccurry sounds logical...didn't think that the module might not be installed.
15:57 ccurry thanks
15:58 juan-xercode joined #koha
15:59 * gmcharlt updates bug 4151
15:59 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=4151 blocker, P5, ---,, ASSIGNED, Document new perl modules for those upgrading
16:00 wizzyrea lol wow
16:00 wizzyrea getting to be quite a list
16:00 ccurry Now I'm missing  "UNIVERSAL/"
16:01 ccurry Is there an apt-get package for that one too?
16:01 gmcharlt libuniversal-require-perl
16:01 wizzyrea gmcharlt: I'll look at the lenny install doc
16:01 ccurry read my mind
16:02 ccurry thanks; that appears to have done it.
16:04 wizzyrea -v on is verbose right?
16:05 wizzyrea otherwise it sits there like it's not doing anything (but is probably indexing all the same)
16:05 paul_p wizzyrea: can I ask a question?
16:06 wizzyrea srue
16:06 wizzyrea er, sure
16:06 paul_p Just logged in on using openID, and can't find how I can edit a page. Did I miss something or you need to give me some permissions ?
16:06 paul_p (seems I can add comment though)
16:06 wizzyrea I will need to give you permissions, for some reason it doesn't follow the rules for regular users
16:07 paul_p (just added a comment :[…]age-1/#comment-44)
16:07 wizzyrea done
16:08 wizzyrea er, the openid integration doesn't follow the rules
16:14 amadan Is there a way of setting a permanent library instead of always being asked to set a ibrary?
16:14 owen amadan: You mean on login?
16:15 amadan yep
16:15 owen It selects the branch which is your home branch
16:15 owen You only have to make a choice if you want something different
16:15 amadan in the global preferences?
16:15 owen The home branch of the user logging in
16:16 amadan where do i change that?
16:16 owen edit the patron record, change the choice under "Library"
16:19 amadan Does this change the NO_LIBRARY_SET arttribute when you log in as well?
16:19 owen amadan: If you see that, it means you're logging in with your database user rather than a "real" patron account. You should immediately create a patron record for yourself to use as the administrative account
16:20 wizzyrea 1st step... lordy we really need to modify our default news. I keep meaning to do that
16:21 amadan how is this done in the mysql databaseor within koha?
16:21 gmcharlt within Koha - create a new patron whose category is staff
16:21 gmcharlt after the patron is created, go to edit permissions and grant that patron access
16:21 gmcharlt to the staff functions
16:22 gmcharlt in particular, superlibrarian if you want that account to be able to do (almost) everything
16:22 wizzyrea (dirty not-so-secret my first user is always a superlibrarian)
16:24 paul_p wizzyrea: I still can't see how to edit/create news. Any idea ?
16:24 wizzyrea hm
16:24 paul_p wizzyrea: what should I see once I have the credentials ?
16:25 wizzyrea something like this:
16:25 paul_p gotcha, I now have "posts & media", that I didn't have previously
16:26 paul_p & seems I can "add New" (no need to, but I can ;-) )
16:26 wizzyrea yea, I just added that, thinking that it was something about your userlevel that was doing it
16:27 paul_p ! now I also have "links" "pages". seems I have everything :D
16:27 wizzyrea I can back you off if you like ;)
16:28 jwagner left #koha
16:30 ccurry Anybody speak SIP?  If so, would you mind sending me an example SIP signal for checking out an item?
16:30 paul_p wizzyrea++
16:30 paul_p just made my 1st edit (updage of BibLibre mail contact & address)
16:31 amadan i guess set flag is synonymous to save?
16:31 wizzyrea there should be an update button
16:31 wizzyrea blue, on the right hand side
16:31 paul_p yep, already hit it ;-)
16:31 wizzyrea then you're golden :)
16:31 wizzyrea
16:31 owen amadan: Yes, "Set Flags" = "Save"
16:32 amadan cool
16:32 wizzyrea lol, oh... reading fail
16:32 wizzyrea set flags... verbiage not so good there
16:32 wizzyrea it should be "save permissions"
16:32 amadan then log on as that user right?
16:32 owen Or just "Save"
16:32 wizzyrea even better
16:32 wizzyrea logic would follow that you would be saving the permissions you are looking at
16:33 gmcharlt ccurry: C4/SIP/test.txt has some example messages
16:33 gmcharlt the checkout message is 11
16:34 ccurry gmcharlt: awesome.  thanks.
16:38 mib_2ga4d8 left #koha
16:41 biglego left #koha
16:44 amadan hehe, u guys rock
16:44 amadan I'm enjoying this
16:44 * wizzyrea makes a mental note that someone said they enjoyed the experience of installing/configuring koha. That's progress!
16:44 wizzyrea :)
16:45 paul_p left #koha
16:48 amadan so patrons is to users, catloging is to adding stuff
16:48 amadan gn
16:48 gmcharlt yep
16:48 amadan why didn't i figure this out early
16:49 amadan thx guys
16:54 bgkriegel joined #koha
16:55 kf left #koha
16:58 gmcharlt all Equinox Koha material will point to, btw
16:58 wizzyrea gmcharlt++
17:11 ccurry left #koha
17:34 brendan @wunder 93117
17:34 munin brendan: The current temperature in Northwest Goleta, Goleta, California is 12.8�C (9:33 AM PST on March 03, 2010). Conditions: Partly Cloudy. Humidity: 75%. Dew Point: 8.0�C. Pressure: 30.05 in 1017.5 hPa (Steady).
17:39 chris_n @wunder 28334
17:39 munin chris_n: The current temperature in Erwin, North Carolina is 4.0�C (12:22 PM EST on March 03, 2010). Conditions: Overcast. Humidity: 75%. Dew Point: 0.0�C. Windchill: 1.0�C. Pressure: 29.67 in 1005 hPa (Rising).
17:46 amadan left #koha
17:53 biglego joined #koha
17:55 brendan left #koha
18:02 owen left #koha
18:18 brendan joined #koha
18:22 brendan morning all
18:22 adegroff joined #koha
18:23 gmcharlt hi brendan, adegroff
18:23 adegroff hellO!
18:24 adegroff opps must depart! regards all
18:24 adegroff left #koha
18:26 chris heh
18:26 chris adegroff is scared of gmcharlt  :)
18:27 brendan morning chris
18:27 brendan gmcharlt doesn't bite too hard
18:28 chris :)
18:28 francharb joined #koha
18:28 francharb left #koha
18:30 chris_n g'morning chris
18:45 * jdavidb is scared of adegroff.  She's feisty.
18:46 chris heh
18:46 jdavidb Patrick's got her runnin' around here like a crazy woman today.
18:46 gmcharlt and vice versa, I would bet :)
18:47 jdavidb Patrick always runs around here like a crazy being.  (Great guy, but somewhat hyper by nature, I think.)
18:48 indradg joined #koha
18:56 * chris goes to catch a bus to work
18:57 Nate joined #koha
18:59 gmcharlt one-minute warning!
18:59 slef awooga awooga!
19:00 * gmcharlt nominates slef to be the official Klaxon for 3.4
19:01 gmcharlt ok, let's get started
19:01 gmcharlt I"m calling this general meeting of the Koha project to disorder
19:01 gmcharlt page for the meeting is
19:01 gmcharlt[…]etingnotes10mar03
19:01 gmcharlt agenda items are 1. Update on Roadmap to 3.2.
19:01 gmcharlt 2. #
19:01 gmcharlt Update on Koha 3.0 Roadmap.
19:01 gmcharlt 3. Follow-up on actions from General IRC Meeting, 9 February 2010.
19:01 gmcharlt 4. Discuss module maintainer proposals
19:02 gmcharlt 5. Code janitor?
19:02 gmcharlt 6. Bug category roles
19:02 gmcharlt 7. Agree time of next meeting
19:02 Ropuch joined #koha
19:02 gmcharlt let's start with introductions
19:02 Ropuch Evening #koha
19:02 * gmcharlt = Galen Charlton, 3.2 RM,
19:02 thd Thomas Dukleth, Agogme, New York City
19:02 * slef = MJ Ray, member of
19:02 * Ropuch Piotr Wejman, Biblioteka CSNE
19:02 brendan Brendan Gallagher, ByWater Solutions
19:03 ebegin left #koha
19:04 gmcharlt ...
19:04 gmcharlt ok, others can chime in as they come in
19:04 gmcharlt first up, update on 3.2
19:04 IrmaCalyx joined #koha
19:05 gmcharlt I'll be doing another release this weekend, with accumulated bugfixes
19:05 IrmaCalyx Good morning all
19:05 gmcharlt as we will start several blockers open, I'm inclined to call this alpha-2
19:05 magnus Magnus Enger, Libriotech, Norway
19:05 gmcharlt and release beta as soon was the blockers for 3.2 are stable
19:05 IrmaCalyx Irma Birchall, CALYX, Australia
19:06 gmcharlt I would be grateful to anybody who wishes to take the cold I got from the C4L conference ;)
19:06 gmcharlt I would also like to call another bugsquashing day next week
19:06 gmcharlt any preferences for the day of the week?
19:07 slef April?
19:07 * slef runs
19:07 * nengard = Nicole Engard, ByWater
19:07 gmcharlt slef: I"ve no ojbection to a bugsquash in April, as long as we can have another in March :)
19:07 Ropuch :)
19:08 * brendan votes for March 9th
19:08 jdavidb <<  J. David Bavousett, PTFS
19:08 gmcharlt works for me
19:08 gmcharlt I second brendan and call a bug squashing session of 9 March
19:08 IrmaCalyx Starting at what time?
19:09 slef doesn't for me, but I doubt any day in March will :-/  Please tell the co-op's clients to stop needing support and the medics to stop prodding me.
19:09 gmcharlt all day, the whole day
19:09 gmcharlt pick your timezone of choice
19:09 * gmcharlt tells slef 's medics to start prodding the co-op's clients instead
19:10 slef that might also be beneficial in one case...
19:10 gmcharlt ok, we have a 3.2 update and a bug squashing day
19:10 gmcharlt if no other questions about 3.2, let's move on to the 3.0.x update
19:10 gmcharlt hdl_laptop: about?
19:10 brendan how many blockers are we looking at?
19:11 slef brendan: 5 - see
19:11 brendan thanks
19:11 cait joined #koha
19:12 gmcharlt brendan: I have a slightly more expansive view - 17 open ones, counting HEAD and rel_3_2
19:12 IrmaCalyx gmcharlt: CALYX wonders if we could become the new assinees for "Reports"
19:12 slef While we wait for hdl_laptop, I think 3.0.x is releasable, but it would be nice to get any of the normal or higher bugs from resolved.
19:12 gmcharlt IrmaCalyx: I've no objection - please respond to the thread on koha-devel and volunteer
19:13 IrmaCalyx OK
19:13 gmcharlt I concur with slef re 3.0.6
19:13 gmcharlt moving on to the next agenda item
19:14 gmcharlt Follow-up on actions from General IRC Meeting, 9 February 2010.
19:14 axfelix joined #koha
19:14 CGI439 joined #koha
19:14 gmcharlt I think main thing from here is that frederic is the translation manager for 3.4
19:15 gmcharlt going
19:15 gmcharlt going ...
19:15 gmcharlt ... gone!
19:15 gmcharlt moving on
19:15 gmcharlt 4. #
19:15 gmcharlt Discuss module maintainer proposals
19:16 * wizzyrea liz rea, NEKLS
19:16 CGI439 left #koha
19:16 IrmaCalyx Frederic++
19:16 gmcharlt the one outstanding is my own, to be maintainer for cataloging and search
19:16 gmcharlt a proposal that, of course, I need to actually write
19:16 CGI439 joined #koha
19:16 CGI439 left #koha
19:17 gmcharlt but upshot is that I would to work with Catalyst (on their search revamp proposed for 3.4) and the QA manager to vet patches for cataloging and search
19:17 gmcharlt specific other tasks I would propose include 1. consolidating all of the code driving the various instances of the bib, authority, and item MARC editors
19:17 gmcharlt death to cut and pastte!
19:18 gmcharlt and 2. make a better interface for plugging in an arbitary MARC record editor
19:18 gmcharlt so
19:18 gmcharlt is there anybody present who is thinking of volunteering to be a module maintainer?
19:19 wizzyrea the silence is deafening
19:19 gmcharlt are there any modules that have achieved Singularity and volunteer to maintain themselves?
19:20 gmcharlt ok, moving on
19:20 wizzyrea lol wow
19:20 gmcharlt 5. code janitor - somebody is volunteering to do this
19:20 gmcharlt I think it is a good idea for that role to be filled
19:20 gmcharlt and encourage people to do it
19:20 brendan code janitor means?
19:20 gmcharlt collum++ # for giving a good example
19:21 gmcharlt brendan: volunteer "to help tidy up code to respect the style guidelines,"
19:21 slef reformatting all the code so that we can't see the patches for the whitespace changes
19:21 gmcharlt which is why we'd have to plan it
19:22 slef It would be a lot more useful if they checked and signed-off on new patches first, then we deal with any remnants later.
19:22 gmcharlt Colin had also made a proposal to do a mass perl tidy around 3.4
19:22 thd gmcharlt perhaps if we had a sub-module granularity I could volunteer
19:22 slef If we disrupt the whole codebase now, but don't address new patches, it will slide back into a mismash.
19:22 gmcharlt but on the whole, I agree with slef - in any event, the individuals in question need to start sumbitting or signing off on patches first
19:23 gmcharlt and any whitespace cleanup that's done on a module-by-module basis needs to be strictly separated from functionality changes
19:23 IrmaCalyx sub-module for "Report" and we can volunterr too
19:23 gmcharlt and done in areas that are mostly stable at the monent
19:23 slef As I understand it, anyone could start signing off on koha-patches as a style guru already - just needs the RMs to respect them.
19:23 gmcharlt exactly
19:24 gmcharlt and for that matter, closing out bug 2505 is more important than whitespace
19:24 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=2505 major, P3, ---,, NEW, enable Perl warnings in all modules and scripts
19:24 gmcharlt so I think at this point, we'll await people to actually start sending whitespace cleanup patches
19:24 gmcharlt and hash it out as it actually happens
19:25 slef (If I sound a little bitter, it's because I remember eradicating a lot of injection vulnerabilities years ago, winning that battle but starting to lose the war.)
19:25 CGI557 joined #koha
19:25 thd warnings everrywhere make coding in a new part of Koha a great pain
19:25 slef I think this is the 3.4 RM's call, ultimately.
19:25 thd s/new/another/
19:26 gmcharlt so for now, I suggest that "code janitor" is a role that we don't name until one or more devs actually grow into
19:26 slef If they screw it up royally, we'll try to eject them ;-)
19:26 gmcharlt thd: which is why the point is to *fix* the warnings after you enable them
19:26 gmcharlt it really isn't rocket surgery, although it can be tedious to do
19:26 thd gmcharlt: I always have but much of that work was lost in 3.0
19:26 slef I think we should suggest anyone doing cleanup should start by checking patches and contacting submitters and RMs
19:27 gmcharlt that's sensible
19:27 gmcharlt and start slow on the actually cleanup patches
19:27 slef "Hi, thanks for your patch, but could you just reformat that block like ..." or something
19:27 slef It means if they're getting it wrong, they haven't just done the whole tree, too.
19:28 slef start small and so on
19:28 gmcharlt ok, so moving on
19:29 gmcharlt 6. bug category roles
19:29 gmcharlt ref:[…]ruary/010920.html
19:29 gmcharlt we have a bunch of people volunteer to be bug assignees
19:29 gmcharlt and unless there are any objections, I will accept all of the proposals and update BZ
19:30 slef Acquisitions unadopted?
19:30 gmcharlt I am still looking for more volunteers, as I really don't want to be the default assignee except for the categories that I volunteered for
19:30 thd :)
19:30 slef Authentication, ... actually, quite a lot of them still unconfirmed
19:30 slef on[…]default_assignees
19:30 gmcharlt right, I need to update that page
19:31 gmcharlt but as far as I can tell, nobody has volunteered to pick up acq specifically
19:31 thd gmcharlt: can we add some additional granularity to bug assignment?
19:31 brendan I know that Ian walls wants to volunteer for some
19:31 brendan he's not around but will be around next week
19:31 brendan I'll send him and email so that he can speak up
19:32 gmcharlt on the one hand, BibLibre did new_acq, and would be a logical choice, but on the other hand, getting somebody else to do it may free up a small logjam of requests to fully document new_acq
19:32 slef small?
19:32 nengard :)
19:32 gmcharlt brendan: sure, just ask  sekjal to respond in the thread
19:33 brendan :)
19:33 gmcharlt well, anyway, nobody from BibLibre seems to be here, but my point/question stands
19:33 slef ok, seeing as the time has passed, I'll see if we can offer to assist as a cc
19:33 gmcharlt slef: sounds good
19:33 gmcharlt and I think we ought to view the bug assignees as a fluid thing
19:33 slef until such time as the assignee does confirm or reject it
19:33 gmcharlt and look to update the list more frequently anyway
19:34 slef Again, I'd appreciate it if this won't be until later this month.
19:34 * gmcharlt takes finger off the email all acq bugs to slef button
19:34 slef but maybe we have bigger problems with hosting of bugzilla?
19:35 gmcharlt slef: indeed
19:35 gmcharlt for those who weren't at the community handover meeting
19:35 brendan what's the overall size or amount of information on
19:35 * jdavidb just replied to the list, but is willing to take up the command-line installer bits.
19:35 gmcharlt those present deicded to make the new home page for mainstream Koha
19:35 gmcharlt there are several services currently hosted by LL that need new hosting
19:35 gmcharlt wiki
19:35 gmcharlt BZ
19:35 gmcharlt git
19:36 brendan are we talking GB's?
19:36 richard joined #koha
19:36 gmcharlt pending confimation of something, Equinox intends to propose hosting a new wiki
19:36 gmcharlt leaving the git repo
19:36 gmcharlt and BZ
19:36 jwagner joined #koha
19:36 chris_n` joined #koha
19:36 gmcharlt brendan: at a guess, the BZ database is a few gig, but nothing outlandish
19:37 brendan hmm.. thanks
19:37 gmcharlt I know that BibLibre indends to propose to rename to
19:37 brendan is guess the real question (not sure if this is the meeting to ask)
19:37 brendan but do we start fresh and new?  or work on migrating all old info
19:37 gmcharlt brendan: we should migrate it
19:38 gmcharlt and as it happens, chris has found a way to get nearly all of the data
19:38 wizzyrea chris++
19:38 * gmcharlt would seriously object to loosing the bug history
19:38 chris back
19:38 gmcharlt or losing it, rather
19:38 chris i have all 4295 bugs as xml files
19:38 brendan loosing the bug data maybe good
19:39 chris i disagree
19:39 chris for some yes, for most bugs no
19:39 brendan not losing.. is good... loosing could be good
19:39 gmcharlt as long as it is loosed into another BZ database ;)
19:39 chris having to start the wiki again, now that might be good :)
19:39 brendan sorry bad joke.. I'll refrain from now on
19:39 wizzyrea ^^
19:39 thd brendon: old bugs often come back like zombies and the history is always important
19:40 gmcharlt thd: sorry, derail - brendan made a subtle pun
19:40 chris as soon is a get sign off, and talk to richard about dns etc, i could have a new BZ up and goin
19:40 * wizzyrea imagines the bugs crawling out of the ground and running around all undead like.
19:40 thd :)
19:40 gmcharlt ok so we have tentative proposals for new hosting for the wiki and the BZ
19:40 gmcharlt any takers to host
19:40 thd chris: I also disagree with starting over with the wiki
19:41 brendan chris - depending on the size we would volunteer to host BZ
19:41 thd except that we have a licensing issue with LibLime contributions
19:41 * chris_n` Chris Nighswonger, FBC
19:41 CGI557 left #koha
19:41 chris brendan: catalyst is volunteering to do the BZ (well mostly) we run some BZ already so it wont be a stretch
19:41 brendan cool
19:41 brendan catalyst++
19:42 wizzyrea brendan: git's still up in the air though >.>
19:42 chris spreading_things_around++
19:42 chris and download?
19:42 thd I have  a plan for preserving the entire wiki
19:42 slef running_out_of_hosts--
19:42 brendan I think git is a not as crazy an issue - there are enough mirrors around the world
19:42 gmcharlt good point - download will need somebody who can commit to support relatively high bandwith
19:42 axfelix left #koha
19:43 brendan we'd be willing to pay for a fast but small server for git hosting
19:43 wizzyrea or maybe we just use something like sourceforge
19:43 * wizzyrea ducks
19:43 gmcharlt brendan: true, but I think we really need a as a meeting point
19:43 gmcharlt sourceforge_git_hosting--
19:43 wizzyrea no no for downloads
19:43 slef I think wizzyrea meant for download
19:43 gmcharlt ah, gotcha
19:43 slef Let me check who has admin at sf and savannah
19:44 gmcharlt slef: thanks
19:44 slef joshferraro, rangi, tipaul at sf
19:44 thd wizzyrea: something like perhaps but not actually do to bad experience with sourceforge capacity
19:44 slef same at savannah
19:44 gmcharlt ok, we have tentaitive proposals for wiki, BZ, and git + slef will investigate options for download hosting
19:45 chris_n left #koha
19:45 chris_n` is now known as chris_n
19:45 slef done - chris or paul could let us back into either/both
19:45 chris yeah if i knew my password
19:46 chris its locked to an email address that no longer works
19:46 chris in both cases
19:46 chris paul might be able to
19:46 gmcharlt @later tell paul_p help us, you're our only hope!
19:46 munin gmcharlt: The operation succeeded.
19:46 slef OK. Let me know if I should beg savannah.
19:46 wizzyrea oh, that'll get his attention
19:46 slef I upset them often enough they might remember me. ;-)
19:47 gmcharlt ok
19:47 slef paul's account on savannah is using his koha-fr address, so he can get in there for sure
19:48 gmcharlt then pending discussing on the mailing lists and DNS changes for, I think we're set to get services moved in the next few days
19:48 chris sweet
19:48 * wizzyrea cheers
19:49 * gmcharlt hugs all of you
19:49 * wizzyrea ponders the implications of a koha channel group hug
19:49 chris_n nice
19:49 * slef goes to fall down exhausted
19:49 chris heh
19:50 slef It's been a fun few weeks.
19:50 brendan do we change the channel name?
19:50 chris hmm, i should answer the koha-es people
19:50 gmcharlt brendan: nope
19:50 chris naw, koha is still the software
19:50 brendan ++
19:50 wizzyrea nah, no need
19:50 slef chris: bureado?
19:50 chris big post this morning
19:50 chris (this morning nz time)
19:51 gmcharlt ok, any final questions or news before we discuss the next meeting time?
19:52 gmcharlt ok, I propose Wednesday, 7 APril 2010 for the next general IRC meeting
19:52 gmcharlt 10:00 UTC+0
19:52 chris_n +1
19:52 slef +1
19:53 slef you know it's near Easter?
19:53 thd horray for a time good for the south Asian sub-continent.
19:53 gmcharlt slef: there is a potentially a nice thematic observation in your last comment
19:54 chris yeah that will work
19:54 imp left #koha
19:54 gmcharlt anyway, I declare this meeting closed - next meeting is 10:00 UTC+0 on 7 April 2010
19:54 slef ???
19:54 chris slef: mail was to koha-devel
19:54 gmcharlt and I will personally send an operatirve to New Zealand to kick so we can have op again ;)
19:55 chris :)
19:55 brendan thanks gmcharlt
19:55 slef before October?
19:55 imp joined #koha
19:55 brendan was just thinking that
19:58 IrmaCalyx slef: Easter: a time of new rising
19:59 slef IrmaCalyx: depends on your religion.
19:59 gmcharlt which is why I wasn't trying to over-emphasize the point
20:00 IrmaCalyx I can't be kicked...I am far away :-)
20:01 chris id never kick IrmaCalyx anyway, i still remember when she sent me biscotti
20:01 IrmaCalyx yam...  I am off for breakfast now ...
20:02 slef I'm off for dinner+football I think
20:02 cait good night #koha
20:02 liw joined #koha
20:02 cait left #koha
20:02 IrmaCalyx cheers #koha ++
20:07 chris cya IrmaCalyx
20:08 chris hi again liw :)
20:13 jdavidb left #koha
20:14 jdavidb joined #koha
20:14 gmcharlt hi liw
20:15 jdavidb left #koha
20:15 liw greetings and salutations
20:15 chris liw: gmcharlt is the current release manager for Koha, and is busy working on the upcoming 3.2 release (we are nearly ready for a beta i think)
20:15 gmcharlt more like alpha mark 2, but we're getting there
20:16 irma joined #koha
20:23 nengard left #koha
20:26 IrmaCalyx left #koha
20:29 bgkriegel left #koha
20:32 ccurry joined #koha
20:32 chris @wunder Brooklyn, wellington, nz
20:32 munin chris: Error: No such location could be found.
20:32 chris @help wunder
20:32 munin chris: (wunder <US zip code | US/Canada city, state | Foreign city, country>) -- Returns the approximate weather conditions for a given city.
20:33 ccurry Hello again; I have a zebra/cron question: INSTALL.debian-lenny.aps recommends "run -b -a -z as a regular cron job"; what does this do that the zebra queue/daemons don't do?
20:34 ccurry sorry, that's INSTALL.debian-lenny (that extension is my own).
20:34 gmcharlt works better than zebraqueue_daemon on non-tiny databases
20:34 chris they both (the cron job and daemon) use the zebraqueue table
20:34 chris and not explode
20:34 chris the zebraqueue_daemon has a ram leak
20:35 ccurry so is it advisable to run the cron instead or in addition?
20:35 gmcharlt instead
20:35 chris instead
20:35 ccurry hmm...good to know
20:35 ccurry thanks
20:35 chris what would be even better is someone to write a better daemon :-)
20:35 ccurry wish I could do that
20:36 chris using libevent instead of POE maybe
20:36 ccurry maybe some day.
20:36 chris :)
20:36 ccurry ok then.  off to figure out how to uninstall the daemons.  cheers!
20:37 gmcharlt ccurry: we are hypnotizing you - you are following our will - you are dropping everything to work on a libevent version of the daemon
20:37 ccurry it's almost working.
20:39 chris :)
20:39 * jwagner hides under the table to avoid gmcharlt's mesmerizing gaze
20:39 * gmcharlt needs to perfect his skills - *much* more efficient than a sponsorship system ;)
20:39 ccurry before I leave, am I understanding correctly that the difference between the two methods is performance, cron being less of a memory drain?
20:40 chris because it runs as cron job, perl ends, and cleans up after itslef
20:40 chris the daemon just grows over time
20:41 ccurry ah...that's clear.
20:41 ccurry thanks
20:45 mib_fp8zkg joined #koha
20:47 nicomo left #koha
20:49 wajasu joined #koha
20:49 wizzyrea but you could just have a cron job to restart the daemon...
20:49 * wizzyrea hides
20:49 wizzyrea i'm sure there's some practical reason not to do that
20:50 chris well more that that is lame ;)
20:50 wizzyrea ok, educate me... are there still the indexing delays when you use the daemon?
20:51 chris less
20:51 chris potentially
20:51 * wizzyrea has a curiosity
20:51 chris the cron can only run once a minute, at the most
20:51 chris and there is the overhead of starting perl, creating a db connection etc
20:52 wizzyrea most places run it even less often than that: ours runs every 7 minutes
20:52 chris a long running process doesnt need to do that
20:52 chris but it does need to run cleanly
20:52 wizzyrea so this leak is so bad that even restarting it once a day (or several times) wouldn't suffice?
20:52 wizzyrea I guess I don't understand the scope of the problem
20:52 chris thats a bandaid solution, and if we do it, ppl will leave it there and not fix the real problem :)
20:53 wizzyrea I can grasp that, except...
20:53 wizzyrea the delay in indexing can be problematic for users
20:53 chris yep, what i have done in the past
20:53 chris is write a shell script
20:53 chris which runs a while loop
20:53 chris while 1
20:53 chris so infinite loop
20:54 chris that sleeps for 5 seconds
20:54 * wizzyrea listens intently
20:54 chris then runs
20:54 wizzyrea so it's always going
20:54 * wizzyrea is annoyed, ours indexes every 7 minutes or something
20:54 chris yep, 5 secs between each rebuild_zebra
20:55 wizzyrea loadwise?
20:56 chris havent had any complaints
20:57 * wizzyrea runs into another "why did they do it that way?!" wall. Sigh.
20:57 chris oh and fast disk
20:57 wizzyrea yes, I imagine that's of paramount importance
20:57 chris put the zebra indexes on fast disk
20:57 chris the process gets quite IO bound
20:57 chris run iotop one time when indexing if you wanna see
20:58 wizzyrea can zebra keep all indexes in RAM? or is that a dumb question?
20:58 chris i think it does, but it has to write them to disk
20:58 gmcharlt not a dumb question
20:58 chris at some point
20:58 chris BUT, there is no reason that disk cant be RAM
20:58 wizzyrea i just wonder if for best possible performance you just scrap disk all together and go for increasingly cheap RAM
20:59 chris you'd want some form of persistant storage so you can come back from a restart
20:59 chris but you could do that with an rsync
20:59 wizzyrea true, and really... you could sync the indexes a lot less often
20:59 chris *nod*
21:01 wizzyrea i mean, the indexes would be rebuilt right away on a reboot anyway, right?
21:01 chris um no
21:01 chris not unless you did that
21:02 wizzyrea oh right, most of the index updates are incremental
21:02 chris but yeah you could make an init.d job that rebuilt them
21:02 gmcharlt and that could be a *heck* of a startup penalty on a large DB
21:02 chris or restored the rsynced version
21:02 wizzyrea ^^
21:02 wizzyrea then run the incremental instead of a full
21:03 wizzyrea so you'd lose an hour of indexing instead of a full reindex
21:03 wizzyrea for example
21:03 wizzyrea ty, zebra_learning++
21:04 chris one of the biggest timesinks
21:04 chris is not the indexing
21:04 chris its the exporting the files
21:04 chris making them export to a ramdisk partition or if /tmp was tmpfs
21:04 chris_n brb
21:04 chris_n exit
21:05 magnus left #koha
21:05 chris would speed that bit up a little
21:05 biglego left #koha
21:06 * chris_n hates multiple commands for quitting :-)
21:06 chris heh
21:07 chris_n left #koha
21:10 gibbzz joined #koha
21:10 chris_n joined #koha
21:11 gibbzz greetings folks
21:14 gibbzz i got a question, maybe someone can anwser.  Running koha on ubuntu 8.10, having problems with z39.50 client. I know the daemon is not running.  Only problem is I can't find the daemon.  It's not in my /usr/share/koha/intranet/scripts matter of fact it's not anywhere as I searched for "z3950daemon*".   Any ideas ?
21:14 schuster left #koha
21:22 gibbzz everyone asleep ? :(
21:23 chris wow, thats a fairly old version of master
21:24 gibbzz yea, thats what I thought :)
21:24 gibbzz perhaps I should just refresh it with a newer version and go from there?
21:24 chris yeah 3.0.5 is the latest stable
21:25 chris and you dont need the daemon for the z3950 search inside koha
21:25 gibbzz ok will do, cheers!
21:25 chris thats an old 2.2 thing
21:25 gibbzz right-i mean for outside connecters
21:25 chris ah yep, in that case is zebra running at all?
21:25 gibbzz no zebra
21:25 chris yeah, you kinda need that ;)
21:26 * chris has to go, but ill be back in a bit
21:26 gibbzz ah :D
21:26 gibbzz ok, thanks again
21:26 gibbzz left #koha
21:31 jwagner left #koha
21:46 eythian joined #koha
22:02 hdl_laptop left #koha
22:04 hdl_laptop joined #koha
22:04 ccurry left #koha
22:20 Nate left #koha
22:37 bgkriegel joined #koha
22:41 collum joined #koha
22:54 wajasu weird.  I was editing OPACUserCSS and I might have put either double quotes or single quotes in the field and saved and got an error --> The given value does not seem to be interpretable as a Boolean value at /usr/share/koha/lib/C4/ line 102
22:55 wajasu now when i go into the OPAC tab I get the error.
22:55 gmcharlt wajasu: are you using the new sysprefs editor?
22:55 gmcharlt sounds like a glitch - that OPACUserCSS was marked as the wrong type
22:55 wajasu 3.0.2
22:55 gmcharlt ah, different version
22:56 wajasu maybe there is no sql injection protection for that stuff?
22:57 chris yeah its all placeholders, thats complaining before it even gets to the sql
22:57 wajasu it's kind of a bad thing because I have no way to pull up the page now. I get the error all the time for the OPAC tab.
22:57 chris its a module complaining not the sql
22:57 chris and it will be because the column is marked the wrong type
22:57 gmcharlt if you hvae mysql access, do update systempreferences set value = '' where variable = 'opacusercss';
22:58 wizzyrea I have gotten around that by creating a new syspref with 0 value with the same name
22:58 gmcharlt that will fix the immediate problem
22:58 wizzyrea it's kind of a terribad wrong hack
22:58 wizzyrea but it did work for me
23:00 wajasu i'll try.
23:02 wajasu thanks! i set the value to 0
23:02 wajasu its working know.
23:04 hdl_laptop left #koha
23:04 wajasu whoops! its a yes/no feild now.
23:04 CGI544 joined #koha
23:05 CGI544 hola
23:05 gmcharlt try again, but set its type as 'free' (under advanced options when you add the syspref)
23:05 CGI544 hello
23:05 CGI544 left #koha
23:06 larsw joined #koha
23:06 larsw left #koha
23:07 wajasu can I 'Edit' then change the Variable Type to 'TextArea'?
23:09 wajasu that worked.
23:11 gmcharlt cool - and you're right, it shoudl be a textarea anyway
23:19 saorge_ joined #koha
23:20 bebbi joined #koha
23:21 wajasu i think i want a header with logo (120x120) with some text  (i.e. MY LIBRARY) to the right, and the search form below the text and to the right of the logo.
23:21 wajasu i can't figure out how to get MY LIBRARY above the search form.
23:23 wajasu sure, I can add it all to the header, and maybe I
23:24 wajasu i'll have to include the search form in the header and hide the search form.  to get control.
23:24 saorge left #koha
23:24 bebbi left #koha
23:41 tekonive` joined #koha
23:41 tekonivel left #koha
23:59 bgkriegel left #koha

| Channels | #koha index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | plain, newest first | summary