IRC log for #koha, 2016-12-07

All times shown according to UTC.

Time S Nick Message
00:04 Francesca joined #koha
00:48 JoshB joined #koha
01:05 TGoat Hello good folks of #koha. Please tell me, is KohaCon 2017 definitely in the Philippines?
01:06 rangi yes
01:07 TGoat thanks rangi
01:07 TGoat wwanted to be sure I was giving a library in Costa Rica good intel
01:19 irma joined #koha
01:29 JoshB joined #koha
01:36 kmlussier joined #koha
01:55 JoshB joined #koha
03:35 Francesca joined #koha
05:19 Stompro joined #koha
06:54 * magnuse waves
07:01 Scott-CSPL joined #koha
07:01 deb-CSPL joined #koha
07:21 LibraryClaire joined #koha
07:22 LibraryClaire morning #koha
07:24 magnuse guten morgen BüchereiKlara
07:24 magnuse @wunder enbo
07:24 huginn magnuse: The current temperature in Bodo, Norway is 6.0°C (7:50 AM CET on December 07, 2016). Conditions: Light Rain. Humidity: 100%. Dew Point: 6.0°C. Windchill: 1.0°C. Pressure: 29.68 in 1005 hPa (Steady).
07:24 magnuse nice!
07:25 magnuse but a bit dark, since all snow is gone
07:25 LibraryClaire hi magnuse
07:25 LibraryClaire @wunder konstanz
07:25 huginn LibraryClaire: The current temperature in Mainaustraße, Konstanz, Germany is 2.6°C (8:11 AM CET on December 07, 2016). Conditions: Clear. Humidity: 89%. Dew Point: 1.0°C. Windchill: 3.0°C. Pressure: 30.54 in 1034 hPa (Steady).
07:25 LibraryClaire clear is a lie
07:26 laurence joined #koha
07:29 reiveune joined #koha
07:29 reiveune hello
07:36 LibraryClaire hi reiveune
07:39 sophie_m joined #koha
07:44 fridolin joined #koha
07:44 fridolin hie
07:44 LibraryClaire hey fridolin
07:44 wahanui fridolin is busy at the moment, I asked him to backport the bug fix
07:53 alex_a joined #koha
07:54 jajm hello
07:54 wahanui salut, jajm
07:54 alex_a bonjour
07:54 * LibraryClaire waves
08:05 StomproJ joined #koha
08:05 sophie_m joined #koha
08:05 Scott-CSPL joined #koha
08:05 deb-CSPL joined #koha
08:05 alex_a joined #koha
08:05 fridolin joined #koha
08:05 reiveune joined #koha
08:05 laurence joined #koha
08:05 LibraryClaire joined #koha
08:05 Stompro joined #koha
08:05 Francesca joined #koha
08:05 magnuse joined #koha
08:05 jenkins joined #koha
08:05 edveal joined #koha
08:05 alexbuckley_ joined #koha
08:05 alexbuckley joined #koha
08:05 fabio_teles joined #koha
08:05 rhamby joined #koha
08:05 barton|away joined #koha
08:05 akilsdonk joined #koha
08:05 druthb_away joined #koha
08:05 khall_away joined #koha
08:05 oleonard joined #koha
08:05 BobB_ joined #koha
08:05 Joubu joined #koha
08:05 ashimema joined #koha
08:05 eythian joined #koha
08:05 ribasushi joined #koha
08:05 danmichaelo_ joined #koha
08:05 matts joined #koha
08:05 chris_n joined #koha
08:05 denials joined #koha
08:05 gmcharlt_ joined #koha
08:05 misilot joined #koha
08:05 nage joined #koha
08:05 jajm joined #koha
08:05 liw joined #koha
08:05 z0k joined #koha
08:05 liliputech joined #koha
08:05 slef joined #koha
08:05 kivilahtio joined #koha
08:05 rkrimme1_ joined #koha
08:05 fredericd joined #koha
08:05 wizzyrea joined #koha
08:05 danmichaelo joined #koha
08:05 lari joined #koha
08:05 juan_s joined #koha
08:05 dcook joined #koha
08:05 mtj joined #koha
08:09 AndrewIsh joined #koha
08:21 Francesca joined #koha
08:21 StomproJ joined #koha
08:21 edveal joined #koha
08:21 alexbuckley_ joined #koha
08:21 alexbuckley joined #koha
08:21 druthb_away joined #koha
08:21 ribasushi joined #koha
08:33 alex_a joined #koha
08:46 Scott-CSPL joined #koha
08:46 deb-CSPL joined #koha
09:28 cait joined #koha
10:29 Scott-CSPL joined #koha
10:29 deb-CSPL joined #koha
10:42 kidclamp joined #koha
10:46 Stompro joined #koha
10:46 * kidclamp waves
10:53 LibraryClaire hi kidclamp
10:53 kidclamp hiya LibraryClaire
10:58 eythian[…]u6ytXEhm?sfc=true <-- something else I did this weekend past
11:00 kidclamp that looks like fun
11:01 eythian it was. It was also freezing cold, but we had enough drinks on the boat :)
11:02 kidclamp liquid parka
11:42 lilipute1h joined #koha
11:57 kidclamp Joubu around?
11:59 josef_moravec_ joined #koha
12:10 rsantellan joined #koha
12:10 rsantellan good morning #koha
12:12 marcelr joined #koha
12:12 marcelr hi #koha
12:13 marcelr joined #koha
12:23 Joubu kidclamp_away: yep
12:27 vfernandes joined #koha
12:27 vfernandes hi #Koha
12:27 vfernandes we are testing Koha 16.11 with 3M records and with elasticsearch
12:29 vfernandes the reindex of 3 millions records takes more than a day... can we speed up this reindex?
12:31 Joubu vfernandes: you can play with --commit
12:33 vfernandes Joubu: what that argument does?
12:35 vfernandes sets the number of records
12:35 vfernandes "Higher should be faster, but will cause more RAM usage. Default is 5000."
12:35 Joubu it's the number of records to build before commiting them to the ES index
12:35 vfernandes memory is not a problem
12:36 vfernandes we should also increase ElasticSearch memory?
12:36 Joubu you could try a batch of 100k with commit=5k and commit=25k and compare time exec
12:37 Joubu no idea, but if you have RAM available it will not hurt
12:38 vfernandes thanks Joubu
12:40 vfernandes 7/8s for search 3M records without plack looks very promising
12:44 eythian marcelr: got some nice canal photos on Sunday:[…]u6ytXEhm?sfc=true
12:45 marcelr hi eythian: not that 'light' ;) and kind of cold?
12:46 oleonard Oops I never logged out last night.
12:46 oleonard I didn't really stay awake all this time.
12:46 eythian marcelr: well, lights work best in the dark. And yeah, it was about 1° I think.
12:47 eythian Luckily I had wintery layers with me.
12:48 meliss joined #koha
12:53 LibraryClaire hi oleonard
12:53 wahanui hi oleopard
12:54 LibraryClaire wahanui botsnack
12:54 wahanui :)
12:54 * oleonard wonders if giving wahanui a botsnack will train him to prefer a certain reply
12:56 ashimema_ joined #koha
12:56 LibraryClaire figured it was worth a shot :D
12:58 cait joined #koha
13:02 alex_a joined #koha
13:15 tcohen joined #koha
13:25 magnuse @wunder enbo
13:25 huginn magnuse: The current temperature in Bodo, Norway is 5.0°C (1:50 PM CET on December 07, 2016). Conditions: Light Rain Showers. Humidity: 93%. Dew Point: 4.0°C. Windchill: 1.0°C. Pressure: 29.59 in 1002 hPa (Steady).
13:32 LibraryClaire @wunder konstanz
13:32 huginn LibraryClaire: The current temperature in Jungerhalde, Konstanz, Germany is 2.6°C (2:28 PM CET on December 07, 2016). Conditions: Partly Cloudy. Humidity: 86%. Dew Point: 1.0°C. Windchill: 3.0°C. Pressure: 30.51 in 1033 hPa (Steady).
13:34 oleonard @wunder 45701
13:34 huginn oleonard: The current temperature in Longview Hts, Athens, Ohio is 0.5°C (8:33 AM EST on December 07, 2016). Conditions: Clear. Humidity: 85%. Dew Point: -2.0°C. Windchill: 1.0°C. Pressure: 30.13 in 1020 hPa (Falling).
13:34 * oleonard should move to Norway
13:35 eythian @wunder jordaan, ams
13:35 huginn eythian: The current temperature in Ten Kateplein, Amsterdam, Netherlands is 10.0°C (2:31 PM CET on December 07, 2016). Conditions: Clear. Humidity: 74%. Dew Point: 6.0°C. Windchill: 9.0°C. Pressure: 30.33 in 1027 hPa (Steady).
13:35 * eythian wins
13:36 * oleonard should move to Amsterdam
13:36 eythian I recommend it
13:37 * LibraryClaire likes KOnstanz
13:38 * oleonard should live in a caravan and travel Europe according to the weather
13:38 LibraryClaire :)
13:38 oleonard Please send wifi passwords
13:39 nengard joined #koha
13:40 LibraryClaire essentials ^^
13:45 NateC joined #koha
13:52 Joubu Zeno, are you around?
13:52 Joubu I don't remember his nick
13:53 Dyrcona joined #koha
13:56 thd joined #koha
13:59 kmlussier joined #koha
14:02 mkuhn joined #koha
14:02 thd Is there a meeting now?
14:02 mkuhn I think so...
14:03 thd Was there a reminder sent to the mailing list?
14:03 mkuhn No
14:04 thd No reminder is a problem especially when we have been experimenting with different meeting times.
14:04 mkuhn https://wiki.koha-community.or[…]g_7_December_2016 says there is a meeting now
14:04 mkuhn OK so it seems we are the only ones in this meeting?
14:05 oleonard I think that means this meeting is postponed
14:05 thd If there are only two of us, that is not enough to hold a proper meeting.
14:06 mkuhn It's a good occasion to rename Koha or change the numbering of the versions ;-)
14:06 thd I think that a poor interpretation has been given to the information in .
14:06 mkuhn What is this list, I have never seen this before
14:06 oleonard thd: That was specific to dev meetings I think
14:07 thd oleonard: The survey may have been introduced for development meetings but has been applied more generally.
14:08 thd mkuhn: One thing the survey needs is more data points.  Please add you information if you would like to be considered.
14:08 thd s/you/your information/
14:09 JoshB joined #koha
14:09 mkuhn I have done that already. But I'm definitely no friend of such lists which only complicate things (in my opinion).
14:10 thd A single most popular preferred time is never going to work because it always excludes some people.
14:10 oleonard A single time is never going to work because it always excludes some people.
14:11 oleonard However, multiple meetings haven't worked well in the past either.
14:11 oleonard So we're stuck with an imperfect system.
14:11 mkuhn Imperfect system means just, someone else is excluded.
14:12 thd The fatal trouble with only one "optimal" time is that some people can never attend which should be unacceptable.
14:12 Joubu I sent a "reminder" 2 days ago, in the "what's on" email
14:13 Joubu the goal was to find 2 optimal times, not just one
14:13 thd We need to have alternate times even if it is for different meetings to ensure that some people expressing an interest in participating are not systematically excluded.
14:13 Joubu and stop spending 15min at each meeting trying to find a slot for the next one
14:14 Joubu The survey highlights that 13 is excellent for lot of us, and we did not use so often this slot
14:14 thd Joubu, the use which I have seen of the survey is to pick the one time with the most favourable votes as the optimal time for multiple meetings.
14:15 schnydszch joined #koha
14:16 Joubu alternate between 13 and 19-20 sounds almost perfect
14:16 thd Joubu: The survey has done well to help us think more scientifically about meeting times.
14:16 thd It seems that UTC 20 captures those excluded by UTC 13.
14:17 schnydszch #info Eugene Espinoza philippines
14:17 Joubu I don't think the time is the most important factor, trying to motivate people seems to be the big problem
14:17 oleonard schnydszch: sorry, the meeting doesn't appear to be happening.
14:17 oleonard schnydszch: We don't seem to have a quorum
14:17 thd Do we not have enough people for a meeting now?
14:17 schnydszch oopss sorry
14:18 schnydszch i thought i was late
14:18 mkuhn OK, so there is actually no meeting now?
14:18 thd oleonard: The agenda is small.
14:18 thd We could dispatch the agenda quickly.
14:19 thd oleonard: You could chair the meeting to ensure it goes quickly :)
14:19 schnydszch just looked at the logged, yeah. It was already posted in the Koha list, we've finally managed the venue sponsorship, so 2017 Kohacon in the Philippines is free
14:20 kidclamp I can chair, gimme a minute to get my notes together :-)
14:21 thd Joubu: Do you think that we should have an abbreviated meeting even to set the next meeting time to UTC 20?
14:21 Joubu meeting is coming
14:22 kidclamp Okay
14:23 thd schnydszch: Wait for the meeting to start so we can include your good news in the formal meeting log.
14:23 kidclamp #startmeeting General IRC meeting 7 December 2016
14:23 huginn Meeting started Wed Dec  7 14:23:01 2016 UTC.  The chair is kidclamp. Information about MeetBot at
14:23 huginn Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
14:23 Topic for #koha is now  (Meeting topic: General IRC meeting 7 December 2016)
14:23 huginn The meeting name has been set to 'general_irc_meeting_7_december_2016'
14:23 kidclamp #topic Introductions
14:23 wahanui #info wahanui, a bot that has become sentient
14:23 Topic for #koha is now Introductions (Meeting topic: General IRC meeting 7 December 2016)
14:23 kidclamp #info Nick Clemens, ByWater Solutions
14:23 Joubu #info Jonathan Druart
14:23 barton #info Barton Chittenden, bws, Louisville, KY, USA
14:23 mkuhn #info Michael Kuhn, Admin Kuhn (Switzerland)
14:23 schnydszch #info Eugene Espinoza
14:23 thd #info Thomas Dukleth, Agogme, New York City
14:23 oleonard #info Owen Leonard, Athens County Public Libraries, USA
14:24 schnydszch #info Eugene Espinoza Philippines
14:24 rsantellan #info Rodrigo Santellan, Montevideo, Uruguay
14:24 khall #info Kyle M Hall, ByWater Solutions
14:24 kidclamp last call
14:24 kidclamp #topic Announcements
14:24 Topic for #koha is now Announcements (Meeting topic: General IRC meeting 7 December 2016)
14:25 kidclamp Anyone have anything? khall?
14:25 khall yeah
14:25 khall Brendan wanted me to let everyone know we are starting a project to integrate RDF functionality into Koha!
14:26 khall First, we are looking into MARC to RDF conversion, then finding a suitable database
14:26 khall After that we'll work on indexing the data into Elastic, and getting the search working in Koha!
14:26 khall We hope to have something useful in 6 months or so
14:27 kidclamp #info ByWater is developing RDF for Koha
14:27 caboose_ joined #koha
14:27 thd khall, have you added some content to the wiki describing your plans?
14:27 oleonard Related? https://wiki.koha-community.or[…]i/Linked_Data_RFC
14:27 caboose_ #info Michael Cabus, BWS princeton NJ...teaching web development but listening in
14:28 khall thd: I cannot say, I'm not involved in the project yet
14:28 kidclamp early stages thd, but as things progress we will add something to wiki
14:29 kidclamp any more announcements?
14:29 Joubu about ES, there is bug 17500 waiting for feedbacks and testing
14:29 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=17500 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart, In Discussion , Use Elasticsearch to search for patrons
14:29 magnuse khall: some swedes are paying me to work in that direction - we need to talk! but now i gotta run.
14:30 thd There are multiple competing approaches to implementing RDF do you have a client for any particular one?
14:30 khall magnuse: yes, we are planning to get together!
14:30 kidclamp not yet thd, just starting research, any info you have would be appreciated, ping/email me after meeting
14:30 magnuse khall: and dcook is working on oai-pmh + rdf
14:30 khall thd: not that I'm aware of, we are still evaluating
14:31 khall sounds like we need to start a Koha RDF working group
14:31 magnuse yup
14:31 khall maybe a mailing list or such
14:31 magnuse andreas from SUB should be there too
14:31 kidclamp Joubu: do you know if that bug will work with ES2.X? I have been holding off testing until we upgrade
14:32 Joubu kidclamp: since it's basic indexing+searching it should work with both branches
14:32 kidclamp #info Discussion/Thoughts needed on using ES for patron search: bug 17500
14:33 kidclamp last call for announcements
14:33 kidclamp #topic Update on releases
14:33 Topic for #koha is now Update on releases (Meeting topic: General IRC meeting 7 December 2016)
14:34 kidclamp khall: any 17.05 info
14:34 kidclamp I don't think we have other maintainers here
14:35 khall Primarily pushing bugs to be backported at this time
14:35 khall I'll begin pushing enhancements more aggressively in the coming week or two
14:36 kidclamp Joubu? You mentioned some things in 'what's on' anything to emphasize?
14:36 khall cait has been backporting bugs for 16.11.01
14:37 Joubu kidclamp: just read it :)
14:37 kidclamp #info Kyle is pushing bug fixes at the moment, enhancements in the next week or so
14:37 cait yep i have :)
14:37 kidclamp #info cait is backporting needed fixes to 16.11.01
14:38 kidclamp #info read Jonathan's latest 'What's on in Koha devel' for more info
14:38 cait #info Katrin Fischer, BSZ, Germany
14:38 kidclamp #topic KohaCon
14:38 Topic for #koha is now KohaCon (Meeting topic: General IRC meeting 7 December 2016)
14:39 kidclamp schnydszch: updates?
14:39 wahanui updates are terrible
14:40 schnydszch As I've already said above, we have managed to have the venue for free, the main conference, we're still negotiating the two day hackfest. 2017 Kohacon will be free of charge
14:41 kidclamp #info KohaCon 2017 will have no registration fee - hackfest venue is in negotiations
14:41 schnydszch However, we have to change the date June 19-23 as agreed with the venue sponsor
14:42 schnydszch We are now opening call for sponsorships from the Koha community, you can email us at
14:42 kidclamp #info KohaCon 2017 dates are now June 19-23
14:43 kidclamp #info KohaCon 2017 seeking sponsorships - contact
14:43 schnydszch June 19-21 main conference, June 22-23 hackfest, still in Metro Manila
14:43 schnydszch
14:44 kidclamp #link KohaCon 2017 location info
14:45 kidclamp comments anyone?
14:45 schnydszch formal letters to follow, to those who will be emailing for the call for sponsorships
14:45 schnydszch and also, the online preregistration is still the same as posted in the list
14:46 kidclamp #link KohaCon2017 registration
14:47 schnydszch thanks kidclamp
14:49 kidclamp can you send an email update to the mailing list schnydszch - or did I miss one?
14:49 kidclamp and if nothing else I will move on to KohaCon 2018
14:49 schnydszch we will update or post in the mailing list the details
14:50 schnydszch yeah nothing else from us
14:50 kidclamp #action schnydszch will send an update on KC 2017 to the mailing lists
14:50 kidclamp #topic KohaCon18 - Does it make sense to open bidding now?
14:50 Topic for #koha is now KohaCon18 - Does it make sense to open bidding now? (Meeting topic: General IRC meeting 7 December 2016)
14:50 thd I think that we should wait until January before opening bidding on KohaCon18.  I offer to create a wiki page and announce it on the mailing list around the second week in January.
14:51 kidclamp that sounds reasonable to me
14:52 kidclamp no other comments?
14:54 kidclamp #action thd will create a wiki page and announce bidding second week in January
14:54 * kidclamp thinks a round of coffee is in order
14:54 kidclamp #topic Update: Marketing Group or Committee for spreading word about Koha
14:54 Topic for #koha is now Update: Marketing Group or Committee for spreading word about Koha (Meeting topic: General IRC meeting 7 December 2016)
14:54 kidclamp anyone have info on this one?
14:56 kidclamp #info tabled until next meeting
14:56 kidclamp #topic Next Meeting
14:56 Topic for #koha is now Next Meeting (Meeting topic: General IRC meeting 7 December 2016)
14:57 kidclamp January 4th, 20 UTC?
14:57 thd We have bee interpreting the meeting preferences survey wrongly.
14:57 kidclamp discussion before this meeting seemed to indicate 13/20 alternating covers most people
14:58 kidclamp elaborate thd?
14:58 thd We should be more mindful of when people cannot come and not merely when most people prefer.
14:59 thd We also have no data from some people about maybe time or exclusion times which distorts or frustrates interpretation.
15:00 thd Yes, I think 2017-01-04 20 UTC would be good as an alternate even if it may work poorly for me personally.
15:00 oleonard thd: You think our survey misses people who want to come to meetings because they didn't take the survey?
15:01 thd oleonard: The survey is not widely enough known.
15:01 kidclamp #link Meeting Time survey
15:02 thd The biggest problem is really, poor data with no maybe or exclusion times even worse than not enough data points from people who might attend.
15:02 oleonard We know neither how widely the survey is known nor how many people *don't* show for meetings because the chosen time is generally bad
15:02 kidclamp I think it has been posted to the lists several times, and I think the lists are where we should have more discussion on meeting times, since everyone can participate there
15:03 kidclamp otherwise is the already participating group deciding :-_
15:03 oleonard In fact we don't know at all why people don't show up for meetings. Perhaps we should post a survey asking why people don't come to meetings?
15:04 Joubu I have posted the link at least 4x here on the channel, and during 3 months in the monthly email + extra email
15:04 Joubu I don't know what we can do to get more attention
15:04 Joubu and a survey asking why people don't answer surveys?
15:05 thd oleonard: We have tried to make times in the past which would be helpful to people in India and had almost no participation.  We have to give most weight to people who have a tradition of attending, unless we have a new willingness to participate expressed from some underserved time zone.
15:05 oleonard Perhaps we should encourage people to add their apologies to the agenda so that we know who would have come if they could have
15:06 thd Joubu: Do you have a procedure for managing people who would vote again to give more complete or different times than previously?
15:06 thd oleonard++\
15:07 kidclamp #action please add your name to apologies on the meeting wiki page if you wanted to attend but couldn't
15:07 kidclamp #action also, take the survey or respond on the list if current meeting times (rougly 13 or 20 UTC) are unworkable for you
15:08 thd Joubu: As survey owner can you replace the old info with new info if the same person votes again but does not remember or did not create a login?
15:08 Joubu thd: no you cannot edit a vote, but I guess I can remove lines as I have admin rights
15:08 Nuentoter joined #koha
15:08 thd Joubu: That is what I meant, good.
15:09 Nuentoter good morning everyone!
15:09 kidclamp #info resubmit meeting info to survey, previous votes can be removed by admin if you need to update
15:10 kidclamp going ahead with 20 utc for next meeting?
15:10 thd Joubu: You should encourage people with blue backgrounds to update their info and explain how they might do so even by adding a variant of their name after which you could mark out the old one.
15:11 Joubu thd: I already did all what I could to get attention on this survey
15:11 Nuentoter survey?
15:11 wahanui survey is not widely enough known.
15:11 kidclamp thd: would you send an email out to the lists with your suggestions?
15:11 thd Joubu: I mean that some people have given incomplete information.
15:12 kidclamp #info Next meeting: January 4th, 20 UTC
15:12 kidclamp last call for new topics, time can continue on lists
15:12 Joubu I don't understand how it could help to get reds instead of blues
15:13 thd In January I will send a message encouraging better info for the survey from some participants.
15:13 kidclamp #action thd  will send a message encouraging better info for meeting time survey from some participants
15:13 kidclamp #endmeeting
15:13 Topic for #koha is now Welcome to the #koha IRC chat | Code of conduct -[…]/code-of-conduct/ | Please use for pastes | Installation guide for Koha is
15:13 huginn Meeting ended Wed Dec  7 15:13:45 2016 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at . (v 0.1.4)
15:13 huginn Minutes:        http://meetings.koha-community[…]-12-07-14.23.html
15:13 huginn Minutes (text): http://meetings.koha-community[…]6-12-07-14.23.txt
15:13 huginn Log:            http://meetings.koha-community[…]07-14.23.log.html
15:13 oleonard kidclamp++
15:14 LibraryClaire kidclamp++
15:14 oleonard Ruthless chairing.
15:14 kidclamp yeah, would have been nice to have druthb around
15:14 oleonard :P
15:14 khall kidclamp++ indeed!
15:14 * kidclamp ba-doom-sh
15:17 druthb ?
15:17 thd kidclamp: about RDF ...
15:17 kidclamp yeah yeah
15:18 kidclamp druthb: <oleonard> Ruthless chairing. - just being punny
15:19 thd kidclamp: I had been giving some attention to the issue and have been chasing down what various parties are doing for bibliographic data.
15:20 kidclamp thd: cool, I would be interested in whatever you have
15:20 thd kidclamp: I have been paying extra close attention since LC announced the BIBFRAME experiment which quickly morphed into the evolving BIBFRAME plan.
15:20 thd kidclamp: I see two major pitfalls.
15:22 thd kidclamp: The biggest pitfall is overly "hard coding" some particular RDF model such as BIBFRAME which may change in significant ways, or not be as easily extensible as had been intended.
15:23 laurence joined #koha
15:24 thd kidclamp: Zepheria who developed BIBFRAME have been pursing BIBFRAME light with NLM, National Library of Medicine, and other libraries since their contract with LC ended.
15:24 kchris joined #koha
15:25 kidclamp thd: agreed on wanting to maintain flexibility.  Talljoy is our resident expert on the state of things so I am waiting to talk to her on our direction
15:25 thd kidclamp:  BIBFRAME light is more agnostic about vocabulary choice.
15:26 kidclamp thd: do you have any references you can point me to specifically?
15:27 laurence joined #koha
15:27 thd kidclamp: Koha and any library system may need its own special vocabulary to manage automation system data which is outside the scheme of common bibliographic data exchange.
15:29 thd kidclamp: Look at the various official BIBFRAME sites run by LC and details about the BIBFRAME light approach may be more difficult to track.  I will try to find something from NLM over time.
15:29 thd kidclamp: The other major issue is scalability.
15:31 thd kidclamp: Speaking with the technical people embracing RDF and involved with the library world I do not have an answer to what happens with search and retrieval of RDF data with very large sets across multiple nodes.
15:32 laurence joined #koha
15:33 kidclamp yeah, I think there will be some trial and error as it just isn't overly known - we will need community support for any architecture too so will be open as we investigate
15:33 thd kidclamp: A hazard with an insufficiently tested implementation is that some toy RDF store cannot cope with proper indexing of linked data and you could recreate the MARC broken into SQL components problem with the equivalent of too many DB joins needed for every query.
15:35 cait kidclamp++
15:37 kidclamp thanks for tips thd
15:37 thd kidclamp: My description has underplayed the complexities of wars over vocabulary choice.  There are more contenders and Koha should be able to work with any of them simultaneously as needed.  We should avoid anything like the current situation where a $marcflavour variable commits your database to one particular model.
15:40 thd kidclamp: We should actually use RDF as a way around the $marcflavour problem to allow data from Dublin Core, MARC 21, UNIMARC, and other records to coexist nicely in the same DB.
15:41 kidclamp that would be a very nice situation
15:42 thd kidclamp: That is also a requirement for library automation systems serving the market in Taiwan which index both MARC 21 and CNMARC (based on UNIMARC) in the same system.
15:43 thd Unicorn does multi-MARC at some level.
15:59 mario joined #koha
16:00 TGoat joined #koha
16:02 jbeno joined #koha
16:05 reiveune bye
16:05 reiveune left #koha
16:09 fridolin left #koha
16:22 cait left #koha
16:23 SevenGen joined #koha
16:29 LibraryClaire left #koha
16:32 laurence left #koha
16:34 ccordova joined #koha
16:34 ccordova_ joined #koha
16:35 ccordova_ hello
16:42 ccordova_ I'm using koha 16.05 and I can not save the changes when I want to send a delay notice on tools> Overdue notice / status triggers the log shows me the following error.
16:42 ccordova_
16:42 ccordova_ And the email box is blank
16:42 ccordova_
16:47 Joubu ccordova_: v16.05.05?
16:51 Joubu looks ok to me using 16.05.05 on a fresh DB, I am able to add overdue triggers.
16:53 Joubu not sure why branchcode would be ambiguous, it's only in the overduerules table (not overduerules_transport_types)
16:53 Joubu have to run, bye #koha
16:57 ccordova_ Joubu :  yes 16.05.5
17:08 edveal joined #koha
17:26 rocio joined #koha
17:33 bag @weather portland or
17:33 huginn bag: The current temperature in Southwest Portland, Portland, Oregon is 1.2°C (9:24 AM PST on December 07, 2016). Conditions: Partly Cloudy. Humidity: 80%. Dew Point: -2.0°C. Windchill: 1.0°C. Pressure: 30.38 in 1029 hPa (Steady). Wind Advisory from 3 PM this afternoon to 4 PM Thursday...
17:36 edveal @weather lubbock tx
17:36 huginn edveal: The current temperature in Atkins Middle School, Lubbock, Texas is 3.2°C (11:36 AM CST on December 07, 2016). Conditions: Overcast. Humidity: 94%. Dew Point: 2.0°C. Windchill: 3.0°C. Pressure: 30.05 in 1018 hPa (Rising).
17:37 edveal bag chilly up there in OR.
17:37 bag yeah I am frozen!
17:38 edveal Not much warmer here in north west TX
17:59 mario joined #koha
18:00 mario__ joined #koha
18:24 tcohen1 joined #koha
18:43 tcohen @wunder portland, oregon
18:43 huginn tcohen: The current temperature in Westerly, NW Portland, Portland, Oregon is 2.5°C (10:28 AM PST on December 07, 2016). Conditions: Partly Cloudy. Humidity: 85%. Dew Point: 0.0°C. Windchill: 2.0°C. Pressure: 30.38 in 1029 hPa (Steady). Wind Advisory from 3 PM this afternoon to 4 PM Thursday...
18:43 tcohen brrr
18:43 tcohen @wunder cordoba, argentina
18:43 huginn tcohen: The current temperature in Valle Escondido, Cordoba, Argentina, Córdoba, Argentina is 27.2°C (3:43 PM ART on December 07, 2016). Conditions: Partly Cloudy. Humidity: 63%. Dew Point: 20.0°C. Pressure: 29.78 in 1008 hPa (Falling).
19:01 sophie_m joined #koha
19:04 meliss joined #koha
19:35 tcohen anyone familiar with serials?
19:44 kathryn joined #koha
19:47 kidclamp lucky charms are my favorite tcohen
20:05 bag kidclamp++
20:05 bag HA!
20:05 bag @seen cait
20:05 huginn bag: cait was last seen in #koha 4 hours, 29 minutes, and 57 seconds ago: <cait> kidclamp++
20:12 alexbuckley joined #koha
20:13 alexbuckley_ joined #koha
20:30 mikasmith joined #koha
20:35 Francesca joined #koha
20:42 tcohen joined #koha
20:52 wizzyrea hi
21:02 bag hi
21:02 wahanui what's up, bag
21:03 JesseM joined #koha
21:08 rhamby joined #koha
21:25 akilsdonk joined #koha
21:40 barbara joined #koha
21:44 cait joined #koha
21:48 kchris alexbuckley++
21:56 mario joined #koha
22:25 tcohen1 joined #koha
22:47 papa joined #koha
22:53 Scott-CSPL joined #koha
22:57 BobB joined #koha
23:01 Francesca joined #koha
23:19 irma joined #koha
23:23 Francesca joined #koha
23:26 cait joined #koha
23:55 chrisvella__ joined #koha

| Channels | #koha index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | plain, newest first | summary