IRC log for #koha, 2014-06-11

All times shown according to UTC.

Time S Nick Message
01:00 tcohen joined #koha
01:01 tcohen night #koha
01:31 tcohen @wunder quito, ecuador
01:31 huginn tcohen: The current temperature in Yanahuaico, Quito, Ecuador is 14.1°C (8:30 PM ECT on June 10, 2014). Conditions: Mostly Cloudy. Humidity: 66%. Dew Point: 8.0°C. Pressure: 30.48 in 1032 hPa (Rising).
01:33 dcook @wunder sydney, australia
01:33 huginn dcook: The current temperature in Sydney, New South Wales is 18.0°C (11:00 AM EST on June 11, 2014). Conditions: Scattered Clouds. Humidity: 68%. Dew Point: 12.0°C. Pressure: 30.27 in 1025 hPa (Falling).
01:33 dcook Hm, maybe I should go outside...
01:33 dcook hi btw :)
01:34 eythian @wunder nzwn
01:34 huginn eythian: The current temperature in Wellington, New Zealand is 13.0°C (1:00 PM NZST on June 11, 2014). Conditions: Light Rain. Humidity: 77%. Dew Point: 9.0°C. Pressure: 30.09 in 1019 hPa (Steady).
01:35 tcohen hi dcook
01:37 tcohen i need internet to work flawlessly in the hotel, right now
01:37 tcohen is it too much to ask?
01:40 tcohen eythian: i liked your email on the packages
01:40 eythian cool
01:40 tcohen 1 question about it:
01:41 tcohen if it was possible to force koha-common-3.14 -> koha-common-3.16 once 3.14 reaches EOL
01:41 eythian not that I know of
01:41 tcohen something like a stub package that pulls the koha-common-3.16 dependency
01:41 eythian not without having another package above it that controls that dependency
01:42 tcohen hypothetically
01:42 eythian so you could have 'koha-stable' that causes it to change.
01:43 tcohen i was thinking it might be possible to have koha-common-3.14 be replaced by a stub package that pulls the next one or something like that
01:43 eythian Hmm. I suppose you could. But then anyone who wants to keep 3.14 would be forced to upgrade, which defeats part of the purpose.
01:44 tcohen i see it as a point of balance
01:44 tcohen between forcing the early upgrade, and keeping the old version that reached EOL
01:45 eythian If I were going that route, I'd probably have packages that depend on the current appropriate series, and have them do the upgrading.
01:47 tcohen interesting
01:47 wahanui it has been said that interesting is sometimes good and sometimes bad
01:47 tcohen looks like what i was thinking of should need three levels, right?
01:48 tcohen koha-3.14 being a meta package depending on koha-common-3.14
01:48 eythian probably yeah, something like that.
01:49 tcohen and we should finally make koha-common-3.14 have a dialog for setting a single instance
01:50 eythian Hmm. At the least I'd like to have it configure koha-sites.conf, but it's possibly worth having it optionally walk through creating an instance.
01:51 tcohen ahhh
01:51 * tcohen agrees on setting koha-sites.conf
01:53 tcohen eythian, btw has there been any discussion (at the beginning) on having sort of "instance registry" file for tracking instance creation parameters?
01:54 eythian how do you mean?
01:54 tcohen think of a json/yaml file where the maintenance/update scripts can take a look for making the right decisions
01:54 eythian though, regardless of what you mean, I think the answer is no :)
01:54 eythian ah, I see.
01:54 eythian No, but I think it would be a good idea.
01:57 * tcohen will try some ecuatorian beer right now, with the hope internet will be usable when he's back
01:58 eythian :)
02:07 pianohacker A vim plugin, of all things, leads me to ask if parentheses around the condition in a one-line conditional ('print "hi" if ( $hello )') are common convention
02:09 eythian I don't tend to do it.
02:10 eythian but I definitely have done it.
02:10 pianohacker Our perltidyrc doesn't do put them there... interesting. You see thm in all sorts of examples, always thought they were mandatory
02:11 eythian only mandatory on the convential if form.
02:11 pianohacker never a dull moment when you earn your daily bread from the perl parser
02:12 eythian heh
02:13 jcamins pianohacker:
02:14 pianohacker I do need to read that.
02:14 jcamins I think it might actually be available online, though I'm not sure.
02:14 pianohacker looks like there's a $30 PDF download, worthwhile investment
02:15 eythian It's worth reading, however read it critically.
02:15 eythian Also, skip the part on OO, I've been told.
02:16 jcamins I read the entire thing.
02:16 jcamins In one ear, out the other.
02:17 pianohacker eythian: by the way, I had a conversation with galen about the lwp thing. He mentioned that it was probably a good idea to not introduce a Depends in a minor version, and would prefer to have a koha-overdrive-perl-deps package for the 3.16 cycle
02:18 pianohacker would that be a possibility
02:18 pianohacker ?
02:18 eythian pianohacker: yeahh....
02:18 eythian I'd probably put it in as a recommends.
02:18 pianohacker sorry to be the bearer of work :/
02:18 eythian and then in 3.18 move it to work normally.
02:19 eythian if it's a recommends it shouldn't cause problems.
02:22 tcohen logo?
02:22 wahanui logo is included in the tm I believe
02:25 tcohen is there a repository with banners and logos for presentations?
02:25 eythian I thought I saw something on the wiki once
02:25 rangi yep
02:26 rangi[…]s_and_Explanation you can get the logo there as an svg
02:26 rangi (down the bottom)
02:26 rangi[…]Con12_logo_design
02:27 rangi[…]ack-and-white.jpg i mostly use this one
02:28 tcohen thanks rangi and eythian
02:34 tcohen I f*ing love inkscape
03:12 rocio left #koha
03:37 hagiap joined #koha
04:02 irma g'day all
04:02 irma I wonder if funding has been secured for "Koha Development Opportunity : Display of images in OPAC from multiple sources"
04:02 irma as i am thinking about posting it on the kohaOZ elist
04:03 tcohen hi irma
04:03 irma hi tcohen :-)
04:07 eythian irma: see kathryn's followup post from this morning.
04:07 eythian (short answer is "yes" :)
04:07 irma tcohen are you designing a Kohacon2014 logo?
04:07 tcohen i'm not
04:08 tcohen there's other people on that
04:08 irma a team gets more work done :-)
04:08 tcohen i'm "selling" Koha to ecuatorian universities and public institutions tomorrow and am preparing my presentation
04:08 tcohen :-D
04:09 irma tcohen you might like to add
04:09 tcohen "selling" meaning convincing them to move open source and create an ecuatorian community
04:09 tcohen i wont add it
04:09 irma tcohen yep ... I understand ... and lots of "reassuring"
04:09 tcohen i'mjealous
04:09 tcohen :-P
04:10 tcohen (kidding of course, it looks impresive!)
04:10 irma tcohen Hope you win someone over tomorrow! Go Koha!
04:10 tcohen their main concern is the long term
04:11 tcohen which we have covered :-D
04:11 irma Go tcohen!
04:12 tcohen Go Koha!
04:12 tcohen :-D
04:18 irma eythian ++ thanks for the heads up....ah yes ... this is good news ... let's hope it will make it to koha 3.18
04:18 eythian irma: rangi was working on it today, making good progress.
04:18 irma *into
04:19 irma cool
04:48 pianohacker question for any catalogers around. If a record doesn't have a title, where should it appear in a title-sorted set of records?
04:49 pianohacker dcook: if you're around, would like to poke your brain on this :)
04:50 tcohen kohacon13 group photo?
04:53 eythian pianohacker: I think Koha considered 245$a to be mandatory, so I guess it shouldn't appear :)
04:54 pianohacker eythian: fair enough :) this is applying to z39.50 search, though, so expanding the question to other fields that could be blank?
04:56 * dcook perks up
04:57 dcook That's a good question.
04:57 dcook I don't think I've ever catalogued anything without a title of some kind
04:57 dcook Why doesn't it have a title?
04:57 pianohacker Say the question, then, is sorting records by author
04:57 dcook I'm thinking maybe it has a 240 instead of a 245?
04:57 pianohacker Or that
04:58 dcook Hmm..
04:58 dcook I imagine the answer would be to sort if by the 1xx entry
04:58 eythian I'm totally stuck on how to approach this browse search interface in a sane manner. I can do it in a way that involves fetching all the values to the code that generates it, but that has a real potential of being slow.
04:58 dcook sort it*
04:58 tcohen bye #koha, have a nice day/night
04:58 dcook laterz tcohen
04:59 tcohen goodbyezz
04:59 pianohacker dcook: Right. Suppose you can't find an author-like field for a record, though. (And this is Z39.50 searching, so it's beyond your control.) Would you put those empty-authored records at the end or beginning?
04:59 pianohacker bye tcohen
04:59 pianohacker heh
05:01 dcook pianohacker: Dang. No title and no author? :p
05:02 dcook Well, I think most automated sorters would probably put it at the beginning...but I think it might make more functional sense to put it at the end.
05:02 pianohacker dcook: Let me fill you in on what I'm doing, my question might be less nonsensical then :) I'm working on a metasearch backend for Rancor, and trying to add sorting
05:02 dcook Right-o
05:02 * dcook seems to recall the demo at Kohacon13 :)
05:02 pianohacker this unfortunately has to be done by the metasearch backend, target-side sorting seems to be inconsistent
05:02 pianohacker (reimplementing on my own what pazpar2 formerly did)
05:03 pianohacker so I fetch 100 records from each target then sort all the results from the targets together
05:03 pianohacker (currently, for a proof of concept, by title)
05:07 dcook Sounds good to me
05:08 pianohacker dcook: thus my question. I like your answer, though, makes sense that if you're sorting by a field things without that field are probably useless to you
05:09 dcook I would think so
05:09 dcook I noticed the other day that some Z39.50 results I was getting back didn't have titles...
05:09 dcook And were sorted to the top
05:09 dcook They annoyed me as they weren't useful for my test but I wonder why they didn't have titles..
05:10 * dcook does a quick check while balancing the other things he's doing because why not :D
05:10 dcook Hmm can't remember which db now..
05:11 dcook Hmm, would require a restore and I'm using that db..
05:11 dcook pianohacker: So not entirely sure on that one, alas :/
05:11 dcook How hard would it be to make it configurable?
05:11 pianohacker no worries, thanks anyway
05:12 dcook Even if only configurable in a backend sense (i.e. easy to change later :P)
05:12 pianohacker the latter is a good idea.
05:20 jseplae joined #koha
05:21 ashimema joined #koha
05:31 pianohacker hi ashimema!
05:33 ashimema Hi pianohacker
05:33 pianohacker how's it going?
05:33 ashimema Not bad, bloody busy at the mo, but generally not bad
05:33 ashimema How's you?
05:34 ashimema I've made a date with cait to go through shib next week.. Promising
05:35 ashimema How's rancor coming along
05:36 pianohacker ashimema: glad to hear. Rancor is coming along fairly well, had to write a new Z39.50 search backend to replace pazpar2 (thus why I'm working at this hour), but otherwise slowly getting polished :)
05:40 pianohacker ashimema: what's keeping you busy?
05:54 cait joined #koha
05:55 pianohacker hi cait
05:58 cait hi
05:58 wahanui niihau, cait
06:06 ashimema joined #koha
06:07 ashimema Got a few koha projects going on, but actually most of my time has been spent on another product of late
06:07 ashimema Been rewriting a php mess in perl
06:08 ashimema Oh, shame you've had to move away from pazpar2, what was wrong with it?
06:13 ashimema joined #koha
06:14 ashimema Back.. Connection comes and goes allot this morning
06:14 ashimema Did I kiss anywything pianohacker
06:14 ashimema Lol.. s/kiss/miss/
06:15 pianohacker oh jeez. have fun with that PHP. And don't go kissin' no zebras
06:15 ashimema s/anywything/anything/
06:15 ashimema :-P
06:16 ashimema So yeah, what went wrong with pazpar.. It'll be nice to rip out that dependency.. But hopefully its not left you with too much work
06:16 ashimema Ouch..hard to deploy is one thing.. But segfaults.. That really isn't good
06:19 ashimema Oh dear.. So are you using another library for z.. Or having to build your own.
06:20 ashimema I've not found any others myself
06:20 pianohacker Using YAZ, seems to be working well enough
06:22 ashimema Cool, well we've been using yaz allot for years.. Things its somewhat better maintained. Though the docs are still pretty incomprehensible
06:22 pianohacker Yeah, though only to the level that most anything having to deal with Z39.50 is :)
06:23 ashimema True, Z itself is pretty incomprehsible
06:44 reiveune joined #koha
06:44 reiveune hello
06:45 pianohacker hi reiveune
06:45 fridolin joined #koha
06:56 gaetan_B joined #koha
06:56 gaetan_B hello
06:56 alex_a joined #koha
06:56 yohann joined #koha
06:56 pianohacker hello, gaetan_B
06:56 wahanui hello, gaetan_B is looking at bug 9059 because of another problem i noticed, i want to ask you what you think :
06:56 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=9059 trivial, P5 - low, ---,, CLOSED FIXED, Increase size of opac-sendbasket window
06:57 sophie_m joined #koha
06:57 alex_a bonjour
06:58 fridolin hie all
06:59 magnuse joined #koha
07:00 gaetan_B hi pianohacker how are you doing ?
07:00 pianohacker gaetan_B: good, just working late. How are you?
07:00 gaetan_B good :) the day is only starting here
07:02 * magnuse waves
07:02 magnuse @wunder boo
07:02 huginn magnuse: The current temperature in Bodo, Norway is 15.0°C (8:50 AM CEST on June 11, 2014). Conditions: Clear. Humidity: 63%. Dew Point: 8.0°C. Pressure: 30.01 in 1016 hPa (Falling).
07:02 magnuse @wunder marseille
07:02 huginn magnuse: The current temperature in Realtor, CABRIES, France is 22.8°C (9:02 AM CEST on June 11, 2014). Conditions: Clear. Humidity: 22%. Dew Point: 0.0°C. Pressure: 30.09 in 1019 hPa (Steady).
07:02 magnuse :-)
07:06 pianohacker marseille++
07:16 magnuse hehe
07:23 paul_p joined #koha
07:24 Joubu Does someone use CAS? It seems the CAS auth does not work on master, see bug 12398.
07:24 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=12398 major, P5 - low, ---, julian.maurice, Needs Signoff , CAS authentication not working
07:29 cait joined #koha
08:02 cait @wunder Konstanz
08:02 huginn cait: The current temperature in Taegerwilen, Taegerwilen, Germany is 22.2°C (10:00 AM CEST on June 11, 2014). Conditions: Partly Cloudy. Humidity: 78%. Dew Point: 18.0°C. Pressure: 30.21 in 1023 hPa (Steady).
08:02 cait hm guess it will be just as warm as yesterday today :(
08:06 magnuse cait: we have nice temps up here :-)
08:06 cait too warm here for my taste :)
08:06 cait we had a thunderstorm last night, but it doesn't look like it did much
08:27 drojf joined #koha
08:27 drojf hi #koha
08:31 magnuse hiya drojf
08:33 drojf hei magnuse :)
08:36 cait hi drojf :)
08:36 drojf hi cait :)
08:44 magnuse woohoo, Viktor got his first patch in!
08:45 cait :)
08:46 magnuse hm, doing a git pull on master now gives me an error related to MM-OPAC/bug_11169
08:46 magnuse anyone else seen that?
08:47 pastebot "magnuse" at pasted "git pull on master" (14 lines) at
08:47 Joubu magnuse: yes, 2 days ago. You can launch the suggested git command
08:50 magnuse Joubu: thanks, that did indeed solve it
08:58 magnuse bug 11401 introduces some new perl module dependencies - does it make sense to list them as "not required" in, since the functionality will only be used by norwegian libraries?
08:58 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=11401 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, magnus, ASSIGNED , Add support for Norwegian national library card
09:00 Joubu magnuse: Yes, I think so. What is the deps?
09:07 magnuse SOAP::Lite, Crypt::GCrypt, Convert::BaseN
09:09 magnuse ...and Test::DBIx::Class
09:13 cait hm the last one... looks generally useful somehow :)
09:18 magnuse yeah, might make sense to require that
09:22 magnuse any tips on how to set the min_ver for new dependencies?
09:22 cait hm not sure
09:22 cait maybe the version that is in debian if that's what worked for yu?
09:23 magnuse guess i'm not even sure how to tell the versions i have installed...
09:23 magnuse i have tested on ubuntu, so far
09:24 magnuse ah, i can use "About Koha" to check the versions :-)
09:28 cait reminder: today is dev meeting!
09:30 magnuse yeah, at dinnertime...
09:34 drojf when is it?
09:35 drojf (and why is it not in the topic?^^)
09:35 cait because i couldn't figure out the right command to make that work when i tried yesterday
09:35 drojf what about /topic ? :)
09:35 cait[…]ing,_11_June_2014
09:36 Topic for #koha is now Koha Dev Meeting - today - 11 June 2014, 15:00 and 22:00 UTC
09:36 cait oh
09:36 drojf :)
09:36 cait it worked.
09:36 cait :)
09:36 drojf 15 utc is 13 for us?
09:36 cait i think 17:00
09:36 drojf oh no 17
09:36 cait look at the links
09:36 drojf right
09:37 magnuse cait++
09:37 magnuse and 22 is midnight
09:38 cait yep
09:38 cait i will run out early form the first one
09:38 cait spanish lessons, but should be there for 45 mins or so
09:44 magnuse gah, looks like Convert::BaseN and Test::DBIx::Class are not packaged for debian
10:09 kivilahtio[…]at-turhaa-viestia
10:09 kivilahtio its a bit in finnish
10:09 kivilahtio but still :)
10:11 cait hopefully not about the email scandal?
10:11 cait :)
10:12 kivilahtio exactly about the email scandal
10:12 cait oh noes
10:12 cait is it very bad?
10:12 kivilahtio maybe I am a bit crazy but I don't feel too bad about it
10:12 kivilahtio it might be because I am in such a shock still
10:12 cait poor kivilahtio :(
10:13 kivilahtio I havent really been out in the circulation area
10:13 kivilahtio but its not bad where i sit in
10:14 paxed with the room door closed and locked?
10:14 cait heh
10:14 kivilahtio unfortunately it is open
10:14 kivilahtio and all kinds of people walk in and out constantly
10:14 cait i am sorry you ran into that... but kinda glad we didn't
10:14 kivilahtio :)
10:15 cait ... that's a bit mean probably *sends cookies*
10:15 kivilahtio somebody needs to take the hit
10:15 kivilahtio now and then
10:15 kivilahtio and we are piloting so...
10:16 cait i hope it's the last problem like this you run into
10:20 Joubu kivilahtio: hum, or maybe it could be a good opportunity to ask for funding a rewrite of notifications... ;)
10:21 * cait waves at Joubu
10:21 cait will you be around this afternoon maybe
10:21 cait ?
10:21 cait i hope i have time to give the patron generaion script a try :)
10:22 Joubu cait: yes, of course
10:22 cait cool :) ok, have to run out for a bit, bbl
10:22 Joubu ok, see you
10:22 cait Joubu: can you be around for the dev meeting today? the first one
10:22 cait ?
10:23 Joubu cait: yes, I will try
10:23 cait nice :)
10:23 kivilahtio Joubu: I think the notifications system works quite well? Albeit a BIT hard to modify apparently :)
10:23 cait gone now :)
10:24 Joubu kivilahtio: unfortunately, there is no unit tests :-/
10:25 kivilahtio propably unit tests wouldn't have caught that issue
10:25 kivilahtio it is a hard to test issue anyway
10:26 Joubu kivilahtio: no, this issue would have been avoided with good unit tests. Or at least won't appear in the future...
10:27 kivilahtio well if you have good unit tests...
10:27 kivilahtio last I checked unit tests are a pain
10:53 cait kivilahtio: it depends on the area but thy don't have to be
10:54 cait i think the db_dependent ones are not too bad to write now
10:55 * cait is back :)
11:00 papa joined #koha
11:30 jwagner joined #koha
11:40 meliss joined #koha
11:54 cait Joubu++ :)
11:56 NateC joined #koha
12:01 Dyrcona joined #koha
12:11 NateC joined #koha
12:15 cait hi khall :)
12:15 cait khall: could you take a look at your patches still in the needs sign off queue? some have comments with quesions
12:16 nengard joined #koha
12:16 oleonard joined #koha
12:18 talljoy joined #koha
12:18 talljoy morning
12:20 oleonard Hi everyone
12:22 cait hi oleonard :)
12:24 talljoy1 joined #koha
12:29 cait @wunder Konstanz
12:29 cait Joubu: trying your script now :)
12:29 huginn cait: The current temperature in Taegerwilen, Taegerwilen, Germany is 27.5°C (2:25 PM CEST on June 11, 2014). Conditions: Clear. Humidity: 52%. Dew Point: 17.0°C. Pressure: 30.21 in 1023 hPa (Steady).
12:30 cait Joubu: quie ugly borrowers :)
12:31 * cait creates 2000 borrowers
12:37 cait ah
12:37 cait the meeting is not today... but tomorrow
12:37 cait no it's today... i am just confused because we hada  holiday on monday
12:38 magnuse lol
12:38 oleonard We need a meeting reminder bot
12:39 magnuse both on irc and the mailinglist(s)
12:39 magnuse hourly emails to all koha lists ;-)
12:40 oleonard Also a bot that do all my work all the time forever
12:40 drojf ou know it's a meeting when the emails stop. perfect!
12:40 drojf *you
12:47 cait ok, sent a reminder
12:47 oleonard cait++
12:47 cait hope without too many mistakes
12:48 Joubu cait: yes, it is ugly... But it is the easier way I found :)
12:48 * oleonard realizes he hasn't even opened his email yet this morning
12:48 cait Joubu: i don't mind the ugliness :)
12:50 cait Joubu: i probably won't finish today before i have to run out again... but i am back on testing
12:53 cait oleonard: how many patrons does your library have int he database?
12:54 oleonard 43178 (although not all are active patrons)
12:54 cait oleonard: oh that's a lot
12:54 cait i am upping mine to 10.000 now
12:55 cait i am testing bug9811
12:55 cait bug 9811
12:55 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=9811 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart, Signed Off , Patrons search improvements
12:56 cait Joubu: you around still?
12:56 Joubu cait: 125k in one of our bigger customer's DB.
12:56 cait there is something weird
12:56 druthb joined #koha
12:56 cait the cardnumber does show up as 0 for the added patrons
12:57 cait but if I go to the record, they have a cardnumber
12:57 cait WfijQd.c.vhVedGT
12:57 cait for example
12:57 cait my older patrons have numeric cardnumbers that show up nicely it seems - could you take a look at that?
12:57 * magnuse created this script for generating borrowers many moons ago:[…]er/sim/
12:57 * magnuse needs some fresh air
12:59 Joubu cait: I didn't understand, sorry
12:59 cait give me a sec, i will explain again :)
13:00 cait Joubu: it will only display numeric cardnumbers - but cardnumbers can be alphanumeric
13:00 cait i just checked: when the cardnumber is 123456 it displays, when it's one of the strings you generated or any string that is, it shows 0 instead
13:02 Joubu cait: ok, reproduced.
13:02 cait I have to run in a few minuts, I will add a new comment to the bug in 10 mins
13:04 Joubu I added that in the sql query CAST(borrowers.cardnumber AS UNSIGNED) AS cardnumber
13:04 Joubu I don't know why :-/
13:06 Joubu cait: patch sent.
13:06 cait now you were faster than me :)
13:08 cait much better now :)
13:13 cait Joubu: i am not sure about keeping the 'all' for the numer of results
13:14 cait i seems to make my browser almost crash with about 8000 patrons now
13:14 Joubu what do you suggest ?
13:14 Joubu 100 is not enought
13:15 cait not sure... more making a note
13:15 Joubu Actually there is a regression if the "all" is not possible.
13:15 cait maybe it's ok... and a trianing question
13:15 cait ah ok
13:15 Joubu with master, it is possible to  add "all patrons" to a list
13:15 cait we will keep it, it's not blocking really, just trying out a few mean things :)
13:16 cait i have a tiny thing: Branch in the filters should be labelled: library :)
13:17 Joubu khall: thank you for you new patch on bug 10612. It looks much more better and consistent
13:17 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10612 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, kyle, Needs Signoff , Add ability to delete patrons with batch patron deletion tool
13:18 Joubu your*
13:21 Joubu cait: k, fixed
13:21 cait lol
13:21 cait i just wanted to add my notes!
13:21 Joubu ok sorry :) I wait for the note!
13:22 cait have to run - my bus leaves in 6 mins
13:22 cait bye all
13:22 Joubu cait: bye
13:23 tgoat joined #koha
13:24 francharb joined #koha
13:26 francharb good morning #koha
13:39 bgkriegel joined #koha
13:40 bgkriegel Hi
13:42 alex_a joined #koha
13:46 francharb joined #koha
13:57 nengard left #koha
13:59 phasefx joined #koha
14:02 talljoy joined #koha
14:15 rocio joined #koha
14:33 cait joined #koha
14:33 * cait waves from the bookstore cafe :)
14:33 alex_a_ joined #koha
14:41 rambutan left #koha
14:41 cait @wunder Konstanz
14:41 huginn cait: The current temperature in Taegerwilen, Taegerwilen, Germany is 27.8°C (4:40 PM CEST on June 11, 2014). Conditions: Partly Cloudy. Humidity: 50%. Dew Point: 16.0°C. Pressure: 30.21 in 1023 hPa (Steady).
14:43 Joubu Does someone can explain me why the location is not displayed on this screen :[…]g/ for the second record
14:44 Joubu Actually, I know why, looking at the code. If the "not for loan" is set, the location is not displayed. But I don't understand why
14:47 * cait takes a look
14:47 cait what's the password joubu?
14:47 Joubu cait: test/test
14:48 Joubu cait: if I remove the "not for loan" (set it to blank) for the item of the second record and reindex zebra, the location disappears and I get nothing in the location cell
14:48 cait i think i have to pass
14:48 cait it doesn't seem logical
14:49 cait you mean location/ branch?
14:50 cait are we talking about the missing item frm liberty that is not listed?
14:50 * cait might be a bit confused :)
14:51 Joubu cait:[…]g/
14:51 Joubu there are 2 results
14:51 Joubu for the second one, the "location" column is empty
14:51 cait yes, the first one is also looking weird - it says 9 centerville, but there is also an item at liberty
14:51 wahanui okay, cait.
14:51 cait and that doesn't show either
14:52 Joubu hum yes, I didn't notice that...
14:52 Joubu so 2 bugs ? :-/
14:53 Joubu cait: no, the "liberty" item is in transit
14:54 Joubu I suppose it is why it is not listed
14:54 cait this page is really confusing
14:55 cait i think i'd like to see a summary of the holdiings at all branches looking at that, but it seems to have some rules about what it shows
14:55 * cait better stays away from it
14:55 cait :)
14:56 gmcharlt good morning
14:57 cait hi gmcharlt  :)
15:00 gmcharlt #startmeeting Development IRC meeting, 11 June 2014, part 1
15:00 huginn Meeting started Wed Jun 11 15:00:13 2014 UTC.  The chair is gmcharlt. Information about MeetBot at
15:00 huginn Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
15:00 Topic for #koha is now  (Meeting topic: Development IRC meeting, 11 June 2014, part 1)
15:00 huginn The meeting name has been set to 'development_irc_meeting__11_june_2014__part_1'
15:00 gmcharlt #info Agenda is​lopment_IRC_meeting,_11_June_2014
15:00 gmcharlt #topic Introductions
15:00 Topic for #koha is now Introductions (Meeting topic: Development IRC meeting, 11 June 2014, part 1)
15:00 wahanui #info wahanui, a bot that has become sentient
15:00 oleonard #info Owen Leonard, Athens County Public Libraries
15:00 gmcharlt #info Galen Charlton, ESI
15:00 cait #info Katrin Fischer, BSZ
15:00 phasefx #info Jason Etheridge, ESI
15:01 slef #info MJ Ray,, England
15:01 thd #info Thomas Dukleth, Agogme, New York City
15:01 bgkriegel #info Bernardo Gonzalez Kriegel, Cordoba, Argentina
15:02 Joubu #info Jonathan Druart, BibLibre
15:02 yohann left #koha
15:02 gmcharlt ok, thanks
15:03 gmcharlt tcohen is not here, so I'll skip the RM 3.18 update
15:03 gmcharlt #topic Deprecate the OPAC prog theme officially
15:03 Topic for #koha is now Deprecate the OPAC prog theme officially (Meeting topic: Development IRC meeting, 11 June 2014, part 1)
15:03 gmcharlt so, we have a proposal to update the coding guidelines to officially deprecate the prog theme
15:03 gmcharlt and by extension, CCSR
15:04 cait ah yes, good point, also ccsr :)
15:04 cait I think we already decided that we will do it, but we should also add a note to the coding guidelines
15:04 cait and maybe we should decide when we will remove the files?
15:05 pastebot "gmcharlt" at pasted "Proposed wording" (5 lines) at
15:05 cait +1 #wording
15:05 slef it'll take me a mo to open that
15:06 mtompset joined #koha
15:06 gmcharlt cait: IMO, ASAP
15:06 mtompset #info Mark Tompsett
15:06 gmcharlt and no new patches meant for master should touch those two themes
15:07 Joubu yes, I completely agree. Actually I think it is already the case.
15:07 slef welding seems OK
15:07 cait gmcharlt: I think the sooner the better too - it will help enforcing the coding guideline :)
15:07 gmcharlt Joubu: yeah, folks have already started with updating only Bootstrap
15:07 gmcharlt doesn't hurt to make it official
15:07 gmcharlt OK, any further comments on the wording before we vote?
15:08 cait I think by maintaining the coding guidelines better we make it easier for new developers not falling into traps
15:08 mtompset +1 # agreed on the nice wording
15:08 cait also people that have been out for a while or are not hanging around in irc all the time :)
15:08 gmcharlt *gasp*
15:08 Joubu There is a problem with the votes on, they won't be accessible in the future
15:08 gmcharlt is that possible?!?!?
15:08 gmcharlt ;)
15:08 Joubu But maybe should we c/p on the wiki after the meeting
15:08 gmcharlt Joubu: I'll update the wiki ASAP tonight, assume that the change is approved
15:09 Joubu +1
15:09 bgkriegel +1
15:09 slef 0
15:09 cait gmcharlt: keep the paste safe somewhere? just in case rangi restarts the server
15:10 thd +0.5
15:10 gmcharlt #startvote Shall the change to the coding guidelines to deprecate OPAC and CCSR be approved ( Yes, No, Abstain
15:10 huginn Begin voting on: Shall the change to the coding guidelines to deprecate OPAC and CCSR be approved ( Valid vote options are Yes, No, Abstain.
15:10 huginn Vote using '#vote OPTION'. Only your last vote counts.
15:10 gmcharlt (note the version, which won't expire)
15:10 gmcharlt #vote Yes
15:10 oleonard #vote Yes
15:10 drojf #info Mirko Tietgen, lurking ^^
15:11 Joubu #vote Yes
15:11 slef #vote abstain
15:11 bgkriegel #vote Yes
15:11 drojf #vote Yes
15:11 thd #vote Yes
15:11 phasefx #vote abstain
15:11 cait #vote yes
15:12 cait is it case sensitive?
15:12 cait #vote Yes
15:12 gmcharlt I don't think it is
15:12 * oleonard jails cait for voting twice
15:12 cait only the last vote counts - i read the instructions :)
15:12 thd #comment Do not like outsourcing to a project created by Twitter.
15:13 drojf we do that in europe ^^
15:13 * gmcharlt rouses the Chicago zombie electorate
15:15 gmcharlt thd: it's licensed under the Apache License, and there's been no serious proposal to make any other way of having a responsive theme
15:15 gmcharlt one minute warning for closing the vote
15:16 ashimema joined #koha
15:16 gmcharlt #endvote
15:16 huginn Voted on "Shall the change to the coding guidelines to deprecate OPAC and CCSR be approved (" Results are
15:16 huginn Yes (7): Joubu, cait, oleonard, gmcharlt, bgkriegel, thd, drojf
15:16 huginn Abstain (2): phasefx, slef
15:17 gmcharlt #agreed (pending confirmation) the coding guidelines will be updated per to discourage future patches from updating the prog and CCSR OPAC themes
15:17 thd gmcharlt: Yes, I know.  I am not claiming a necessarily better alternatiive would be easily produced.
15:18 gmcharlt #topic UTF-8 Clean-up - Bug 11944
15:18 Topic for #koha is now UTF-8 Clean-up - Bug 11944 (Meeting topic: Development IRC meeting, 11 June 2014, part 1)
15:18 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=11944 major, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart, Needs Signoff , Cleanup Koha UTF-8
15:18 mtompset oleonard: She voted on my behalf? ;)
15:18 gmcharlt so where I'm at personally with this is I'm spending the next 1.5 weeks reviewing the patches
15:19 gmcharlt and working on some search issues that Joubu identified
15:19 Joubu \o/
15:19 cait :)
15:19 Joubu gmcharlt++
15:19 cait Joubu++ and gmcharlt++
15:19 gmcharlt my goal is to (1) get it ready for signoff by the end of the month
15:19 cait let us know if there is help needed testing
15:19 cait i really want to see this patch series go in soon... and then we can move on to the next big problem :)
15:19 gmcharlt and schedule a GBSD in early July for as an opportunity for folks to run it throug its paces
15:20 talljoy joined #koha
15:20 gmcharlt at some point, I will be calling for volunteers (possibly including ESI) to host a test database or two
15:20 nengard joined #koha
15:20 gmcharlt Joubu: and apropos of that, as far as the sandboxes are concerned, I anticipate at least one addition that may be relevant
15:21 Joubu gmcharlt: I can add the patches on 1 or 2 sandboxes. But I don't have a good DB to test
15:21 gmcharlt specifically, changing the default collation used by Koha MySQL database to utf8_unicode_ci
15:22 gmcharlt Joubu: see the last couple comments in bug 11811 for context on that
15:22 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=11811 major, P1 - high, ---, dpavlin, In Discussion , tools/ doesn't support utf-8 encoded CSV
15:22 Joubu gmcharlt: ok, I note that
15:22 gmcharlt #action gmcharlt to review the patches and ready theme for signoff by end of June
15:23 gmcharlt #action gmcharlt to schedule a GBSD in early July for general testing
15:23 Joubu #action Joubu change the default collation to utf8_unicode_ci on sandboxes
15:23 thd *++
15:23 Joubu #action Joubu take a look at bug 11811
15:24 cait :)
15:24 gmcharlt any other comments on the UTF8 stuff before we move on?
15:25 bgkriegel possibility to backport to 3.16, 3.14...? (when it's ready)
15:25 Joubu I think we are close to have a good utf8 support into Koha :)
15:25 gmcharlt bgkriegel: maybe; I'm not sure at the moment
15:26 Joubu bgkriegel: outch...
15:26 bgkriegel Ok
15:26 thd Joubu: Yes, except that some of the problem is a regression from where we had already been.
15:27 mtompset Has any testing been added to prevent this type of regression again?
15:27 gmcharlt mtompset: I think you can rest assure that I'm not going to sign off without making sure that there's sufficient regressions tests
15:28 * cait likes regression tests :)
15:28 Joubu Currently there is no tests
15:28 thd Joubu: We will have good UTF-8 support when UTF-8 is the native character encoding for the multiverse.
15:28 mtompset And that was the problem. :)
15:28 gmcharlt Joubu: indeed; I fully expect to write a bunch
15:28 Joubu But look at the patches
15:28 mtompset Good to hear it will be rectified.
15:28 Joubu when you look at the code after the patches, you understand it is the way to do
15:29 cait i think it will put us in a cleaner state of things hopefully
15:29 Joubu the code is much more easy, no decode/encode everywhere
15:29 Joubu and the unit tests are not easy to write since the problem does not exist in a specific routine
15:30 gmcharlt nonetheless, /me will write tests :)
15:30 gmcharlt ok, moving on
15:30 gmcharlt #topic Big stuff we are working on
15:30 Topic for #koha is now Big stuff we are working on (Meeting topic: Development IRC meeting, 11 June 2014, part 1)
15:30 gmcharlt so, to get us started
15:31 gmcharlt Joubu: what big stuff is BibLibre working on nowadays?
15:31 Joubu Hum, not really. We have some big stuffs, already submitted on bz
15:32 Joubu we plan to rewrite the ACQ vat/gst management
15:32 Joubu Laurence wrote a rfc, in french at the moment
15:32 Joubu no code will be written without communication and feedback on this rfc
15:33 gmcharlt is there a link to the French version of the RFC?
15:33 Joubu no
15:33 cait Joubu: cool :) it would be good i think to get some different countries involved, i think france and germany are probably similar
15:34 cait but i seem to remember that nz/hlt had some different expectations
15:34 cait would be good to get this settled and have everyone on the same page on how it shoudl work
15:35 Joubu yes, that why we need to communicate before writing any code
15:35 Joubu Same in Italy with talljoy
15:35 Joubu And I really need to see the batch modification for biblios (and all fixes for marc modification template) tested. It a very big work, very powerful. And that fixes critical problems with the existing feature.
15:35 thd cait: NZ/HLT had standard expectations which were not different to what anyone anywhere who actually worked in a real world acquisitions process would expect.
15:35 mtompset bug report number, Joubu?
15:36 cait thd: i didn't mean to imply that their expectations weren't correct
15:36 talljoy did i transport to italy?
15:36 talljoy i wish i was in italy....
15:36 talljoy :-)
15:36 cait i think it just works differently in different countries - and it's good to communicate
15:36 cait so we don't miss something important redoing it
15:36 Joubu bugs 11413, 11319 and 11395
15:36 gmcharlt and that includes hearing from the folks actually involved
15:36 gmcharlt fortunately, that's why we have a second part of this meeting :)
15:37 thd cait: rangi had once implied in error that NZ had special expectations which were not in fact special.
15:37 Joubu talljoy: Sorry, I think you were Zeno :)
15:37 talljoy :-D
15:38 gmcharlt thd: I think we can wait for rangi to provide input directly
15:38 cait Joubu: thx a lot for taking this on :)
15:38 thd gmcharlt: I am merely identifying the issue historically as a reminder.
15:39 mtompset 11395 looks like something I may try to get around to testing.
15:39 Joubu The RFC looks complex, so I think all cases are possibles :)
15:39 gmcharlt #info A project to revamp tax calculation in acquisitions is being considered by BibLibre; an RFC will be published
15:39 gmcharlt ok, any other big projects?
15:40 Joubu mtompset: yes, bug 11395 is the sexy one. The others one are important too, they fixes some important issues
15:40 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=11395 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart, Needs Signoff , Batch modifications for records
15:40 thd Joubu: I believe that BibLibre would not be proposing something counter to what rangi had once identified as how acquisitions would be expected to work in NZ.
15:41 cait so other big projects? :)
15:41 Joubu gmcharlt: I think the column configuration for tables should be pushed soon, in order to adapt enough table before the 3.18 release
15:41 thd Joubu: If you consult with people who do a real world acquisitions job, even without computer automation you will avoid going astray :)
15:42 Joubu bug 10212
15:42 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10212 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart, Signed Off , Columns configuration for tables
15:42 cait Joubu: i am currently working through the patron search improvements, i hope to tackle that next (if noone else is faster :) )
15:42 gmcharlt thd: and I think that point needs to be emphasized - we need folks who are *actually* dealing with the relevant tax processes in each country to provide input directly
15:42 gmcharlt with as few proxies as possible
15:42 gmcharlt Joubu: I'll take a look
15:43 Joubu thd: not sure to understand. rangi is starting to develop something?
15:44 thd Joubu: no, my comment merely refers to what had been a problem with some development from long ago.
15:44 Joubu I think the discussion around a gst rewrite could be started after we will suggest a rfc
15:44 gmcharlt agreed
15:44 thd Joubu: My comment was historical.
15:45 thd gmcharlt++
15:45 Joubu the idea is not to break anything, just understand the code. I develop the multi VAT management, I don't understand anything at the code... And I'm sorry about that.
15:45 Joubu my first big dev on Koha...
15:45 cait :)
15:46 cait always remember quote 123... it#s hard to keep up with libraries and their ideas :)
15:46 gmcharlt @quote get 123
15:46 wahanui
15:46 huginn gmcharlt: Quote #123: "rangi: #thingsihavelearnt if there is a mad scheme a library somewhere will be doing it ... except madder" (added by wizzyrea at 09:20 PM, March 30, 2011)
15:46 Joubu :)
15:46 gmcharlt ok, moving on
15:46 gmcharlt re action items from the previosu meeting
15:46 Joubu nobody else has "big stuffs" ?
15:47 gmcharlt basically, they concerned the UTF8 stuff and are underway
15:47 thd Joubu: If you understand the task that the code performs or should perform even without understanding the existing code, then you are way ahead :)
15:47 mtompset Actually...
15:47 cait bag khall ping
15:47 mtompset I don't have a project I'm working on... but what about the random test failure problem because of hashes?
15:47 cait i have to leave - bye all :)
15:48 mtompset Bye, cait.
15:48 gmcharlt mtompset: tcohen and I have been kicking it around
15:48 gmcharlt nothing to reprot yet, but soonish hopefully
15:48 mtompset Okay. Just thought I'd ask about it. :)
15:48 Joubu I QAed a patch this morning about random hashes
15:49 Joubu bug 12343
15:49 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=12343 normal, P5 - low, ---, abl, Passed QA , TransformKohaToMarc() is adding MARC subfields in random order
15:50 gmcharlt Joubu++
15:50 Joubu mtompset: Is it the same thing you are talking about?
15:50 gmcharlt different one, with QueryParser
15:50 Joubu Ho yes! I forgot that
15:50 mtompset No, I was thinking the QueryParser one.
15:50 Joubu I had a look but looks quite complex
15:52 gmcharlt as far as setting the next meeting time is concerned, I propose that we punt that to koha-devel for a time when tcohen is back home
15:52 Joubu yep
15:53 gmcharlt ok
15:53 gmcharlt thanks, everybody
15:54 gmcharlt #endmeeting
15:54 Topic for #koha is now Koha Dev Meeting - today - 11 June 2014, 15:00 and 22:00 UTC
15:54 huginn Meeting ended Wed Jun 11 15:54:02 2014 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at . (v 0.1.4)
15:54 huginn Minutes:        http://meetings.koha-community[…]-06-11-15.00.html
15:54 huginn Minutes (text): http://meetings.koha-community[…]4-06-11-15.00.txt
15:54 huginn Log:            http://meetings.koha-community[…]11-15.00.log.html
15:54 Joubu For information, Yohann started to write patches :) see bug 12406
15:54 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=12406 normal, P5 - low, ---, yohann.dufour, Needs Signoff , Adding a column maxsuspensiondays in the table issuingrules breaks the UT t/db_dependent/Circulation_Issuingrule.t
15:55 Joubu He has fixed a bug I introduced. An intern is very useful :p
15:55 gmcharlt heh
15:56 thd Joubu: Was it rangi's patch for bug #12343 which you were testing?
15:56 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=12343 normal, P5 - low, ---, abl, Passed QA , TransformKohaToMarc() is adding MARC subfields in random order
15:58 Joubu thd: there is not patch from rangi on 12343
15:59 thd Joubu: Oh, I see now that maybe rangi was also testing.
16:00 thd Joubu, Is the patch working by sorting on the keys using the standard alphanumeric sort function?
16:00 Joubu thd: yes
16:01 Joubu Have to leave. Bye all
16:01 thd Joubu: While that would be a great improvement on random it would still be wrong.
16:01 thd Joubu: I will comment on the bug later.
16:40 reiveune bye
16:40 reiveune left #koha
16:56 pianohacker joined #koha
17:07 nengard left #koha
18:26 francharb joined #koha
18:31 kmlussier joined #koha
18:47 chris_n joined #koha
18:49 mtompset gmcharlt: I prefer using the shorter URL --
19:05 cait joined #koha
19:20 sophie_m left #koha
20:53 cbrannon joined #koha
20:55 cbrannon Anyone here familiar with the Koha sandboxes?
20:56 cait where ar you stuck?
20:57 cbrannon If I am loading a patch and it throws up errors, do I just post the error in the bugzilla ticket, or do I set to Failed QA?
20:57 cait hm
20:57 cait it depends a bit on the error
20:57 cait pasting it is ok
20:57 cait i think i would put patch does not apply
20:57 cait it's another status
20:58 cbrannon I run into this once in a while, but never knew exactly what to do.  I'll do that status.  Thanks.  :)
21:28 kmlussier joined #koha
21:58 eythian_ joined #koha
21:59 gmcharlt meeting in one minute
22:00 * cait gets ready
22:00 irma joined #koha
22:01 gmcharlt #startmeeting Development IRC meeting, 11 June 2014, part 2
22:01 huginn Meeting started Wed Jun 11 22:01:03 2014 UTC.  The chair is gmcharlt. Information about MeetBot at
22:01 huginn Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
22:01 Topic for #koha is now  (Meeting topic: Development IRC meeting, 11 June 2014, part 2)
22:01 huginn The meeting name has been set to 'development_irc_meeting__11_june_2014__part_2'
22:01 gmcharlt #info Agenda is[…]ing,_11_June_2014
22:01 gmcharlt #topic Introductions
22:01 Topic for #koha is now Introductions (Meeting topic: Development IRC meeting, 11 June 2014, part 2)
22:01 wahanui #info wahanui, a bot that has become sentient
22:01 gmcharlt #info Galen Charlton, ESI
22:01 eythian_ #info Robin Sheat, Catalyst IT, NZ
22:01 cait #info Katrin Fischer, BSZ
22:02 thd #info Thomas Dukleth, Agogme, New York City
22:03 rangi #info Chris Cormack, Catalyst NZ
22:03 * thd is merely semi-present
22:04 gmcharlt ok
22:04 gmcharlt in tcohen's absence, we'll skip the RM 3.18 update
22:04 gmcharlt #topic Deprecate the OPAC prog theme officially
22:04 Topic for #koha is now Deprecate the OPAC prog theme officially (Meeting topic: Development IRC meeting, 11 June 2014, part 2)
22:04 wizzyrea #info Liz Rea, Catalyst NZ
22:04 gmcharlt #info Current proposal for wording in the coding guidelines: (
22:05 gmcharlt this was voted on in the first meet
22:05 gmcharlt ing
22:05 gmcharlt any questions, comments, or other feedback before we vote on it here?
22:06 wizzyrea besides, "good riddance?"
22:06 gmcharlt (no! we must keep at the historical dead things!)
22:06 gmcharlt ;)
22:07 gmcharlt #startvote Shall the change to the coding guidelines to deprecate OPAC and CCSR be approved ( Yes, No, Abstain
22:07 huginn Begin voting on: Shall the change to the coding guidelines to deprecate OPAC and CCSR be approved ( Valid vote options are Yes, No, Abstain.
22:07 huginn Vote using '#vote OPTION'. Only your last vote counts.
22:07 eythian_ #vote yes
22:07 cait i was at the first meeting, so I won't vote again
22:07 wizzyrea #vote yes
22:07 rangi #vote yes
22:07 thd wizzyrea: The grass is always greener elsewhere until you have discovered all the difficulties of digesting especially green grass :)
22:08 mtompset #vote yes.
22:08 huginn mtompset: yes. is not a valid option. Valid options are Yes, No, Abstain.
22:08 mtompset #vote yes
22:08 wizzyrea that grass is pretty much dead.
22:08 mtompset (since I didn't get inthe first meeting. ;) )
22:08 mtompset #info Mark Tompsett
22:08 gmcharlt one minute too vote closing
22:08 * thd already voted yes with concerns about even free software projects originating at Twitter.
22:10 gmcharlt #endvote
22:10 huginn Voted on "Shall the change to the coding guidelines to deprecate OPAC and CCSR be approved (" Results are
22:10 huginn Yes (4): eythian_, wizzyrea, rangi, mtompset
22:10 gmcharlt #agreed the coding guidelines will be updated per to discourage future patches from updating the prog and CCSR OPAC themes
22:11 gmcharlt #topic UTF-8 Clean-up - Bug 11944
22:11 Topic for #koha is now UTF-8 Clean-up - Bug 11944 (Meeting topic: Development IRC meeting, 11 June 2014, part 2)
22:11 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=11944 major, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart, Needs Signoff , Cleanup Koha UTF-8
22:11 gmcharlt #info (from part 1) gmcharlt has action items to review patches and redy them for signoff by end of June
22:12 gmcharlt #info also action item to schedule a GBSD dedicated to it in early July
22:12 gmcharlt #info Joubu has action item to look at bug 11811 and look at adjusting on or more sandboxes to use the utf8_unicode_ci collation in their mysql databases
22:12 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=11811 major, P1 - high, ---, dpavlin, In Discussion , tools/ doesn't support utf-8 encoded CSV
22:12 gmcharlt needless to say, anybody else who wants to join in patch review is very much welcome to
22:14 gmcharlt any comments before we move on?
22:14 cait apart from patch review i think there are some remaining problems
22:15 rangi ?
22:15 cait hm, trying to phrase that better
22:15 thd cait: Do you mean problems within the scope of the bug but out of scope for the existing patches?
22:15 cait there are some known issues still that need to be solved in the patch series
22:16 gmcharlt right, Joubu had identified a couple issues in the bug that he wants some help writing patches for
22:16 gmcharlt I'll undertake them as part of my review, but again, more eyes welecome
22:16 cait yes, thx gmcharlt
22:16 gmcharlt welcome, even
22:16 cait and thx again for working on those :)
22:16 thd *++
22:17 gmcharlt ok, moving on
22:17 gmcharlt #topic Big stuff we are working on
22:17 Topic for #koha is now Big stuff we are working on (Meeting topic: Development IRC meeting, 11 June 2014, part 2)
22:17 gmcharlt #info BibLibre is working on an RFC for revamping how taxes are handled in acquisitions
22:17 wizzyrea biblibre++
22:18 rangi im working on the mulitple bookcovers dev, that you would have seen kathryns email about, its not that big, should have something to submit in a couple of weeks
22:18 gmcharlt since the IRS's grand scheme to TAX THE WHOLE WORLD is not quite complete... feedback from everybody is essential
22:18 gmcharlt to ensure that the outcome works well enough for everybody
22:18 thd Did I understand that the BibLibre acquisitions RFC is awaiting more work before publishing it in English?
22:19 * eythian is no longer busmeeting.
22:19 gmcharlt that's my understanding
22:19 gmcharlt or at the very least, they're working on translating it
22:20 gmcharlt #info rangi is working on support for multiple sources of book covers
22:20 gmcharlt eythian: how is ES coming along?
22:21 eythian gmcharlt: quite well. Implementing all that's on the advanced search page is almost done (availability is slightly tricky for unexciting reasons.)
22:21 eythian Still figuring out how to do the browse interface stuff, but have some leads on that.
22:21 gmcharlt cool
22:21 gmcharlt any other projecst?
22:21 eythian I'm hoping to put patches up for testing reasonably soon
22:21 thd rangi: Do you mean multiple live sources?
22:21 pianohacker Oh right dev meeting
22:21 eythian very alpha testing.
22:22 wizzyrea defining availability has always been a question.
22:22 thd rangi: Or is there a bug blocking the use of stored images for book covers?
22:23 pianohacker Have rancor updates
22:23 gmcharlt pianohacker: go for it
22:23 rangi thd: multiple sources including local covers, but with fallback
22:23 rangi so you define the order, and it tries them until it gets one that has an image (or fails on all)
22:23 pianohacker Rancor has several bugfixes and a new metasearch backend that does not depend on pazpar2
22:23 wizzyrea oooo
22:24 cait pianohacker: what are you using instead?
22:24 pianohacker Needs to be refactored a bit, and the results have to be refetched for each page load, but it supports sorting and pagination
22:24 pianohacker Also needs relevance ranking at some point
22:25 pianohacker cait: Just ZOOM, all of the record fetching and sorting is done in Koha now
22:25 pianohacker seems to be about the same speed as pazpar2, and works more consistently
22:25 cait is that an option for opac too?
22:26 pianohacker cait: Possibly :)
22:26 pianohacker guessing you're thinking for bug 10486?
22:26 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10486 new feature, P5 - low, ---, jweaver, Failed QA , Allow external Z39.50 targets to be searched from the OPAC
22:26 cait of course :)
22:27 gmcharlt #info prog/CCSR deprecation now the HTML5 guideline:[…]precation_of_the_.27prog.27_and_.27CCSR.27_OPAC_themes
22:27 pianohacker I'd definitely want some kind of results caching before I put it on an OPAC, and I'm not sure of the best way to do that
22:27 gmcharlt pianohacker: time for you to investigate Koha::Cache
22:28 eythian especially my new+improved version (I can't remember if it's in master yet or not)
22:28 pianohacker gmcharlt: That was my thought, my major question was value size limits, though
22:28 eythian oh, it's not it needs someone to poke bug 12041
22:28 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=12041 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, robin, Passed QA , Improve Koha::Cache
22:30 pianohacker If I do the straightforward thing and shove the entire result set in as a MARC blob, it comes out to roughly 250 KB for the 100-record fetch I'm currently doing. This only really works for Memcached, though, and if servers send back a ton of huge records my impression is that the key storage silently fails
22:30 pianohacker Not a terrible thing but I was curious if there's a better way
22:31 eythian probablyu worth describing it in detail on a koha-devel post
22:31 eythian get more eyes that way
22:31 gmcharlt yeah
22:31 pianohacker Seems like a good idea
22:31 gmcharlt any other topics?
22:32 eythian yeah
22:32 rangi i have a couple that id like to run past people, not strictly dev, but related
22:32 rangi first there is
22:32 rangi http://osswatch.jiscinvolve.or[…]-projects-wanted/
22:32 eythian just a note that there's a series of plack patches around that people could look at if they want something to do.
22:32 eythian For staff client plack support.
22:33 thd Can the result set records be quickly stored in some temporary database storage if the result set is unexpectedly large but not egregiously large.
22:33 cait i think we have some areas were testing/qa gets into a bottleneck
22:33 eythian Some are in master now, but there are some that aren't.
22:33 cait sip, caching, ldap
22:33 thd ?
22:33 cait so if someone feels able to test in that areas, please go for it
22:33 pianohacker thd: that's a possibility
22:34 eythian cait: perhaps someone who knows them should write up testing guides on the wiki?
22:34 cait well not me then... i have done a bit of sip, but no ldap and caching so far :(
22:34 cait i'd like to use one of those tesitng guides
22:35 eythian caching is actually pretty easy, ldap is less so.
22:35 cait rangi: reading
22:35 gmcharlt rangi: the VALS SoC looks interesting; my main comment is that if we want to do it, we should line up several commitments for mentors first
22:35 rangi yep
22:35 cait it sounds interesting
22:37 gmcharlt rangi: and the other thing you wanted to bring up?
22:37 rangi ah yep
22:37 rangi
22:37 rangi really really rough draft
22:37 rangi for
22:38 rangi
22:38 gmcharlt #info rangi mentioned the VALS summer of code (http://osswatch.jiscinvolve.or[…]projects-wanted/) as a possible project for Koha to cnosider
22:38 rangi but if it does get accepted i will be trying to get some people from koha to be speakers
22:38 rangi as well as evergreen, islandora, et al
22:39 cait cool
22:39 eythian so if anyone feels like a trip to wherever the next LCA is... :)
22:39 rangi auckland nz
22:39 gmcharlt #info rangi is proposing a cultural hertiage and FLOSS miniconference for the lca2015 in Auckland (
22:40 cait oooh...
22:40 eythian oh, that's boring
22:40 wizzyrea way not as cool as wellington.
22:40 gmcharlt heh
22:40 wizzyrea HAR
22:40 wizzyrea :)
22:40 cait true
22:40 pianohacker eythian: couple small questions about the new Koha::Cache module after da meeting
22:40 eythian sure
22:41 gmcharlt thanks, rangi
22:42 rangi thats all i have
22:42 gmcharlt regarding setting a date for the next meeting, I suggest we wait for when tcohen is back home
22:42 rangi sounds good
22:43 gmcharlt ok
22:43 gmcharlt thanks everybody
22:43 gmcharlt #endmeeting
22:43 Topic for #koha is now Koha Dev Meeting - today - 11 June 2014, 15:00 and 22:00 UTC
22:43 huginn Meeting ended Wed Jun 11 22:43:45 2014 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at . (v 0.1.4)
22:43 huginn Minutes:        http://meetings.koha-community[…]-06-11-22.01.html
22:43 huginn Minutes (text): http://meetings.koha-community[…]4-06-11-22.01.txt
22:43 huginn Log:            http://meetings.koha-community[…]11-22.01.log.html
22:44 cait gmcharlt++
22:44 wizzyrea thanks gmcharlt
22:46 pianohacker eythian: my two questions were: a) if fastmmap isn't an option due to not supporting expiry, are we removing it permanently? and b) out of curiosity, why the switch to Cache::Memcached?
22:47 eythian pianohacker: iirc, I removed it from the default options, but you can still request it yourself if you're OK with managing it.
22:48 eythian b) I don't think there was a switch to Cache::Memcached
22:48 eythian make sure you're looking at the latest patches
22:48 kathryn joined #koha
22:49 eythian I think I used it originally because it supported something I wanted to support, but turned out not to be UTF-8 clean.
22:49 eythian so switched back and implemented the support for the other thing (default expiry, IIRC) myself.
22:51 eythian brb, getting breakfast
22:55 eythian b
23:02 cait quick brakfast - coffee?
23:02 cait good night all
23:02 cait left #koha
23:03 pianohacker eythian: ahh, missed that that was a regex. Makes sense :)
23:09 mtompset Have a great day, #koha.
23:34 drojf1 joined #koha

| Channels | #koha index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | plain, newest first | summary