IRC log for #koha, 2010-06-30

All times shown according to UTC.

Time S Nick Message
00:10 bgkriegel left #koha
00:54 pianohack left #koha
01:18 jcamins Does anyone know if Koha require Apache 2?
02:10 chris nope it doesnt
02:10 chris but you are pretty hard pressed to find a machine running 1.3 anymore .. and i cant think of any good reason to do so :)
02:11 jcamins The server space is free?
02:16 chris thats almost good enough ;)
02:16 jcamins Hm. Any idea what the "Test" Perl dependency is? FreeBSD has Test split up into a gazillion different packages.
02:18 chris mostly Test::More
02:20 hdl joined #koha
03:14 robin left #koha
03:15 robin joined #koha
03:17 jloucks joined #koha
03:18 hdl left #koha
03:31 Amit joined #koha
03:31 Amit heya chris, brendan
03:31 chris hiya Amit
03:35 jloucks left #koha
04:05 Genji joined #koha
04:05 Genji hiya. whats a good guide on installation of koha on centos 5?
04:11 Amit heya genji
04:49 Genji anyone installed koha on centos here? or know a very good centos guide?
04:49 brendan heya amit
04:50 Amit heya genji i have already installed
04:50 Genji you used a guide? which?
04:51 Genji or you have a screen log?
05:09 richard left #koha
05:31 cait joined #koha
05:31 cait hi #koha
05:45 brendan left #koha
06:16 cait left #koha
06:26 hdl joined #koha
06:29 alex_a joined #koha
06:40 richard joined #koha
06:55 Kivutar joined #koha
07:33 paul joined #koha
07:35 chris evening
07:39 paul hi chris & al
07:39 paul kernel panic on our hosting server... not a fun start of the day :(((
07:39 chris yikes
07:39 chris yeah thats never fun
07:42 chris came back ok after a reboot?
07:43 paul chris, yep, fortunately
07:43 chris phew, lucky for small mercies
08:27 Genji left #koha
08:38 chris paul: i follow jonah lomu on twitter, he starts tweeting the same time you wake up (since he is in marseille too) its quite interesting :)
08:41 chris <-- breakfast .. it looks good :)
08:47 * paul don't know what it is...
08:47 paul is now known as paul_p
08:47 chris looks like a blueberry pancake?
09:29 richard left #koha
10:23 francharb joined #koha
10:29 francharb left #koha
10:32 custard when does the log directory get created in the install process?
10:37 chris when you do make install
10:44 Amit left #koha
11:02 custard and on a deb install does it make them owned by root? (so far I've only played around in ubuntu)
11:04 chris installing from the debian packages? or installing from git, or installing from the tarball?
11:05 larsw if I remember correctly, the koha-create script in the koha-common .deb package creates a log directory owned by root, but I could be wrong
11:09 nengard joined #koha
11:10 chris morning nengard
11:10 nengard morning all
11:15 custard in this particular instance from the debs.
11:15 custard just noticing (being a bit slow here) that the zebra scripts didn't like it.
11:20 hdl left #koha
11:23 jwagner joined #koha
11:27 kf joined #koha
11:27 kf hi #koha
11:28 hdl joined #koha
11:28 jwagner Guten tag kf
11:29 druthb joined #koha
11:29 kf Guten Tag jwagner :)
11:30 kf hi druthb :)
11:30 druthb hi, kf?!
11:30 kf yes?
11:30 * druthb has fumbly fingers today.
11:30 kf ah :)
11:33 kf @wunder Konstanz
11:33 munin kf: The current temperature in Taegerwilen, Taegerwilen, Germany is 27.3�C (1:42 PM CEST on June 30, 2010). Conditions: Scattered Clouds. Humidity: 50%. Dew Point: 16.0�C. Pressure: 30.05 in 1017.5 hPa (Steady).
11:34 druthb @wunder 20817
11:34 munin druthb: The current temperature in Langley Fork Park, McLean, Virginia is 17.8�C (7:43 AM EDT on June 30, 2010). Conditions: Clear. Humidity: 60%. Dew Point: 10.0�C. Pressure: 30.14 in 1020.5 hPa (Rising).
11:39 gmcharlt good morning
11:39 chris hi kf, jwagner druthb and gmcharlt
11:39 druthb g'mornin, gmcharlt and chris.  :)
11:39 kf hi chris
11:42 chris_n joined #koha
11:46 jwagner Morning, all
11:50 kf @wunder Konstanz
11:50 munin kf: The current temperature in Taegerwilen, Taegerwilen, Germany is 27.6�C (1:58 PM CEST on June 30, 2010). Conditions: Scattered Clouds. Humidity: 50%. Dew Point: 16.0�C. Pressure: 30.05 in 1017.5 hPa (Steady).
12:02 francharb joined #koha
12:03 francharb left #koha
12:05 owen joined #koha
12:07 owen Hi #koha
12:07 kf hi owen
12:08 * owen always forgets a VirtualBox upgrade will disconnect him...
12:10 owen_ joined #koha
12:10 custard If I spot a couple of bad links on the pages, should I attempt to register and fix it or leave it to someone that knows what they're doing?
12:11 owen__ joined #koha
12:11 druthb owens to spare!
12:13 owen__ and casting increasingly long shadows
12:13 druthb :)
12:13 owen left #koha
12:13 owen__ is now known as owen
12:14 chris custard: either is fine :)
12:15 owen_ left #koha
12:15 druthb ...and then there was one.
12:36 owen @wunder 45701
12:36 munin owen: The current temperature in Ohio University, Athens, Ohio is 17.8�C (8:35 AM EDT on June 30, 2010). Conditions: Clear. Humidity: 70%. Dew Point: 12.0�C. Pressure: 30.12 in 1019.9 hPa (Rising).
12:36 owen Oh yeah.
12:59 kmkale joined #koha
12:59 kmkale left #koha
13:01 jcamins Good morning, #koha
13:02 kf hi jacamins
13:03 kf hi jcamins
13:16 * chris listens intently to see if its safe to go to sleep yet, poor atarau has got bad reflux tonight and isnt having a fun time, but its been 10 mins since i last heard a cry, ill give it 10 more then crash
13:28 Genji joined #koha
13:28 Genji hiya!  ive got a report of a strange problem... searching for more than one word, in koha 3.06, doesn't work.. no result.
13:34 hdl Genji: mmm incredible
13:34 Genji incredible?
13:34 Genji oh.. this is arabic by the way...
13:36 francharb joined #koha
13:37 chris is it real 3.0.6, using zebra .. or is it your hacked upon and semi upgraded hybrid thingy?
13:38 Genji real 3.0.6, using zebra, some config in zebra has been modified.
13:39 chris must be something specific to the arabic set up, multiple words certainly works in english, and im sure in french too
13:39 kf has the item display in staff changed? I see date last seen and publication details columns?
13:40 kf Genji: do you use ICU for indexing?
13:40 Genji yeah.. icuchain is used..
13:40 Genji cause some transliteration needs to be done..
13:43 francharb left #koha
13:44 kf we have hebrew and icu - I made a quick test, works fine in our 3.1.61
13:45 kf owen: any ideas about my item display problem? showing date last seen and publication details (no content) and no public notes in staff.
13:46 owen kf: Non-xslt display?
13:47 kf hm xslt is on, give me a minute
13:47 kf no change
13:48 kf i think opac notes should be there and Im a bit confused abut the publication details
13:48 owen I'll bet you're looking at a record which is part of a series
13:48 kf hm I think you are right
13:48 owen a 440 tag?
13:48 kf yes
13:49 owen I submitted a bug fix for this problem in the OPAC. Koha thinks the record is a serial (which it is confusing with series)
13:49 kf ah
13:49 kf so its a bug in staff?
13:49 owen Yes, definitely
13:49 kf the item table is also a bit broken, some lines missing
13:50 kf I retested bug 3333
13:50 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=3333 major, P5, ---, gmcharlt, NEW, item status for "not for loan" by item type / item is different
13:50 kf I think the first bug I filed
13:50 kf there is a difference in status between opac and staff too...
13:51 kf I will file a bug then, is there a bug for the opac part?
13:53 owen Bug 2375
13:53 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=2375 normal, PATCH-Sent, ---, oleonard, RESOLVED FIXED, Serials holdings data does not display in opac-detail
13:53 kf thx owen! owen++
13:54 owen I wasn't aware of Bug 3333. I'll see if I can look at that one too
13:55 Genji something wrong with this lookup?
13:55 Genji [log] dict_lookup_grep: (\x01\x0D)e\x01\xB0\x01\xFFf\x​01\x1D\x01\x03e2\x01\xFFf\).*
13:55 * owen is trying to wrap up an additional fix for Bug 3459
13:55 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=3459 normal, P5, ---, nahuel.angelinetti, ASSIGNED, topissues doesn't take care of ccode.
13:56 kf owen: I m updating bug 3333 now with current screenshots and koha version number ;)
13:56 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=3333 major, P5, ---, gmcharlt, NEW, item status for "not for loan" by item type / item is different
14:01 * owen always thinks of this joke when we shout out bug numbers:[…]n_for_the_first_t...
14:02 druthb lol
14:06 kf lol
14:15 kf no note fields shown in item display - how severe is that?
14:18 kf bug 4922
14:18 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=4922 major, P5, ---, paul.poulain, NEW, Wrong item display in staff (wrong columns, no notes)
14:33 Genji left #koha
14:47 pianohack joined #koha
14:53 kf nengard++
14:53 kf for moving language sys prefs :)
14:54 nengard :)
14:54 Genji joined #koha
14:54 nengard i like finding bugs I can fix :)
14:55 kf :)
14:56 kf nengard: testing amazon features now - did you solve the problem?
14:57 nengard nope
14:57 kf cant find a title with reviews right now, but I think its the data
14:57 nengard and someone else found the same issue as me
14:57 nengard i even tried owen's IDs and it works for him - so it's not an ID issue
14:57 kf yes, that was me ;)
14:57 nengard no not you - someone else
14:57 kf I work with the same IDs we use in our production environments
14:57 kf ah
14:57 kf so we are three
14:57 nengard yes - at least
14:57 kf I dont like errors like that
15:00 kf - has reviews on and .de and I see no reviews :(
15:03 hdl Is the ISBN cleaned before beeing sent ?
15:03 hdl Do you have hyphens in you ISBN data ?
15:04 kf HAH
15:04 kf I found it
15:04 kf sorry hdl :)
15:05 kf I saw an error message in the error log, copied url to browser, got timeout message: corrected date on my virtual box and now the reviews show :)
15:06 kf the only problem I see is that it shows <br /> tags in the review text
15:07 kf and I have Title notes too :)
15:08 kf nengard: is the date/time in your test installation correct?
15:09 nengard how so? on the server?
15:09 kf yes
15:09 Nate joined #koha
15:10 kf but I still dont see reviews in staff...
15:10 brendan joined #koha
15:11 nengard kf i think my time is wrong on the server
15:11 nengard you think that's causing the problem??
15:12 kf it seems the request links to amazon have a date/time coded into them and when your date is too old it does not work
15:12 nengard yeah my server says:  Tue Jun 29 18:34:59 EDT 2010
15:12 nengard trying to figure out how to set it now
15:12 kf I reset the date with date -s "2010-06-30 17:21"
15:15 nengard if that was it i'm going to be so upset!! :)
15:15 nengard trying it now
15:16 nengard OH MY GOODNESS!!! That did it!!!
15:16 nengard kf do you want to write up a short tip for the newsletter??
15:16 owen Jeepers, you kids solved the mystery!
15:17 kf kids? :)
15:17 nengard kf did it - not me
15:17 nengard kf++
15:17 kf yay :)
15:17 owen You know, Scooby Doo kids ;)
15:17 nengard never saw scooby doo
15:17 schuster joined #koha
15:18 jcamins That explains why the Amazon stuff never worked for us.
15:18 owen nengard: I'd say that's unpossible, but I never saw the Partridge Family somehow
15:18 nengard hehe
15:18 kf ok, covers: staff and opac ok, reviews: only opac, title notes: staff and opac ok, similar items: still searching for a working example
15:18 nengard i'm adding an faw to the manual
15:18 kf thx nengard
15:19 nengard and kf should write for the newsletter
15:19 kf I always got bad grades on my english essays...
15:19 nengard and faw = faq
15:19 nengard kf i'll edit it :)
15:19 kf ok, when do you need it?
15:19 pianohack nengard: If you were using a _dvorak_ keyboard, you would be making different, more interesting typos
15:19 Kivutar left #koha
15:20 owen Now there's an argument for dvorak I hadn't heard before
15:22 schuster left #koha
15:22 jcamins Our assistant director is going to be thrilled.
15:22 pianohack also, you can spend hours on the internet boring people to death with talk of error rates and efficiency
15:22 jcamins (about the Amazon thing)
15:22 pianohack remember, there's only one thing worse than dvorak
15:22 jcamins kf++
15:22 pianohack people - colemak people
15:24 kf @karma kf
15:24 munin kf: Karma for "kf" has been increased 18 times and decreased 0 times for a total karma of 18.
15:24 kf :)
15:25 kf cant find similar items... imported a lot of dan browns
15:25 kf nicole: when is the death line for the newsletter?
15:25 kf ah, nengard:...
15:25 nengard the 12th
15:26 nengard in you own timezone ;)
15:26 kf ah great
15:32 kf ok, time to leave and walk home - bye all
15:32 nengard[…]tion/faq/opac/#23
15:34 Genji left #koha
15:35 kf left #koha
15:39 gmcharlt @quote add <pianohack> nengard: If you were using a _dvorak_ keyboard, you would be making different, more interesting typos
15:39 munin gmcharlt: The operation succeeded.  Quote #82 added.
15:42 owen Hi gmcharlt
15:42 gmcharlt hi owen
15:43 owen gmcharlt: I have a git question for you. What does it mean to "sign off" on a patch?
15:43 gmcharlt owen: signing off  = giving your stamp of approval on the patch
15:44 gmcharlt e.g., dev A makes a patch, passes it on to dev B at the same organization, who tests and signs off on it
15:44 gmcharlt and that could apply to any number of people in the chain, up to and including the RM
15:45 gmcharlt some projects have a convention of having the original author add their personal sign-off as well
15:45 gmcharlt "I made it, and it is good, or at least not-bad"
15:45 owen That seems redundant
15:45 gmcharlt in some cases, it signfiies a bit more
15:46 gmcharlt e.g.,
15:46 gmcharlt where the original author sign-off  is also an assertion that the author has the right to submit the patch in the first place
15:46 jwagner is now known as jwag_mtg
15:48 gmcharlt more history
15:48 owen Do you see a benefit in using this process in Koha's case? Or would we need a more formal QA chain of command?
15:49 gmcharlt well, git makes it easy to manage patch review
15:49 gmcharlt and since 3.4 will have a QA manager
15:49 gmcharlt have a requirement that patches must have sign-offs by QA and RM is easy - that's what was done in 3.0
15:50 gmcharlt what would extend this process, and improve, would be (say) a requirement that a non-trivial patch have at least one non-author signoff before it is submitted
15:50 gmcharlt then would go through QA and RM
15:51 owen So if I had a non-trivial patch I would ask someone else to take a look at it before it got sent?
15:52 gmcharlt right
15:52 pianohack left #koha
15:55 hdl when process is to use branches as development goes on and then merge the branch once it is stable, the sign-off is not handy since you have to reprocess each commit to sign off commits
15:55 hdl But that is another workflow
15:57 gmcharlt right, although adding sign-offs can be automated in that case
15:58 gmcharlt another approach, which I've done at times, is to sign-off on the merge commit
16:01 schuster joined #koha
16:02 * druthb waves to schuster
16:02 schuster Hey all...  Trying to catch up again before I'm off for a week of vacation...  Just dropping in.
16:04 gmcharlt hi schuster
16:05 schuster It was great to see many of you at ALA...  Thanks for the ideas and suggestions at KUDOS
16:06 schuster When Vicki gets back and settled in we will get the minutes posted from the meeting.  I want to thank PTFS and ByWater again for hosting and providing refreshments.
16:07 schuster For those of you interested I did get a note back from John Brice that the paperwork has been "adjusted" and be resubmitted by the end of July for the 501c3 KUDOS application.
16:07 gmcharlt cool
16:08 owen Thanks schuster, I'm looking forward to reading the minutes.
16:18 sekjal joined #koha
16:18 cait joined #koha
16:18 cait hi again :)
16:20 druthb hi, cait! :)
16:20 cait hi druthb :)
16:20 owen Hi cait, I have a question about Bug 4922
16:20 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=4922 major, P5, ---, paul.poulain, NEW, Wrong item display in staff (wrong columns, no notes)
16:21 cait oh, sorry
16:21 cait for not being clear on bug 3333....
16:21 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=3333 major, P5, ---, gmcharlt, NEW, item status for "not for loan" by item type / item is different
16:21 cait whats your question?
16:21 owen Do other kinds of records show your notes?
16:21 owen It looks to me like that is a separate issue
16:22 cait cant check this installation now, because its on my computer at work
16:22 paul_p left #koha
16:22 cait from 440?
16:22 owen Yes. I don't see notes displayed for non-440-tagged records either
16:22 cait I think you are right
16:22 owen (in the staff client)
16:22 cait and it did not show up after I deleted 440
16:23 cait opac is fine and the database entries seemed ok too
16:23 owen What I found is that tells the template to display the "publication details" column if '$itemfields{enumchron} || $dat->{'serial'} ,'
16:24 cait does this make sense?
16:24 cait what is shown in publication details, more than enumchron?
16:24 owen I'm going to suggest taking out the '|| $dat->{'serial'}' because actual serial records have their information displayed under a subscriptions tab
16:25 cait this will still work when enumchron is filled?
16:25 owen Yes
16:25 cait because we have serials with items and enumchron :)
16:25 owen With an actual serial record, a different column is shown in the holdings table: "Copy No."
16:26 cait hm
16:26 owen In my test, this column shows information like "Vol 5, No 13, Issue 1"
16:26 owen Would a serial record *also* have enumchron information attached to the item record?
16:26 cait ok, Im a bit confused now :)
16:26 cait yes
16:26 cait ours have
16:26 cait we put the information Vol 5, No 13, Issue 1" in enumchron
16:27 cait and copynumber is for when you have the same item more than once
16:27 owen cait: Are you talking about true Koha-managed subscriptions?
16:27 cait about items and serials
16:27 cait our library does not use serials yet, but we have items at the serial records (they can be checked out and have rfid tags)
16:28 cait as far as I understood serials with items will fill enumchron with the information later
16:28 cait not copy
16:29 owen My example Koha-managed subscription creates item records with the Volume/Number information in Copy Number
16:29 owen Should that be getting put in h - Serial Enumeration / chronology instead?
16:30 owen gmcharlt do you know anything about this?
16:30 cait I think there was a patch somewhere
16:31 gmcharlt owen: it should be going into enumchorn
16:32 owen Okay then... new bug
16:32 cait sometimes its like this.. finding new bugs everywhere :(
16:33 owen Is information like "Vol 5, No 13, Issue 1" properly given the heading "Publication details" ?
16:34 cait we use something like volume/issue
16:35 cait perhaps ask a native speaker :)
16:36 owen Right now enumchron for standard records is displaying under the heading "Publication details" and volume/issue information on serial records is displaying under the heading "Copy no."
16:37 owen I wonder if "Publication details" is the appropriate heading in both cases
16:37 * gmcharlt is a native speaker, but is afriad that his suggestions of "Enumeration/Chronology" is probably too much library-speak
16:41 cait I can translate it to whatever I want ;)
16:41 cait owen: the copy thing sounds strange to me...
16:42 owen Which thing?
16:42 cait the old manual states: Copy number for items that have the same location and call number.
16:43 cait I always thought its for cases where you have more than one item, but can only distinguish them by copynumber
16:43 cait not not only for volumes
16:44 owen Right, you should be able to show copy number and volume numbers in separate columns
16:44 owen You could have more than one copy of the same Volume X
16:45 cait thats an example from our catalog, with enumchron:[…]biblionumber=6358
16:45 cait the column heading iss vol info - its shorter than publication details, but better?
16:46 owen I like "Vol. info" unless someone is going to complain that "volume" is incorrect for serials which use "number"
16:49 cait use enumchron for serials and volume information and copy number for c. 1, c. 3...?
16:49 owen That sounds right
16:50 * owen notices the "Text for OPAC" field controlled by doesn't actually display in the OPAC.
16:51 owen Oh wait, maybe I'm in the wrong framework
16:53 owen Okay, yeah, wrong framework.
16:54 owen Bug 4923
16:54 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=4923 major, P5, ---, colin.campbell, NEW, Serial volume/number/issue information should be stored in Serial Enumeration / chronology
16:58 cait owen: Im quite sure I saw a patch for that somewhere and another bug
17:00 cait cant find it now :(
17:02 owen The only reference I can find to enumeration is in a fixed bug: Bug 3380
17:02 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=3380 normal, PATCH-Sent, ---, gmcharlt, RESOLVED FIXED, Serial enumeration / chronology should display in opac holds interface.
17:04 cait I know that one :)
17:05 cait will search a bit, perhaps I can find it
17:26 cait bug 3899
17:26 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=3899 normal, PATCH-Sent, ---, nengard, RESOLVED FIXED, Receive Serial Item Has Copy Info in Wrong Field
17:28 cait owen: found it
17:29 owen Hmm... Marked as fixed?
17:30 nengard it was
17:30 nengard maybe it has reappeared
17:30 sekjal left #koha
17:30 cait owen: will you look at item notes too or want me to file a separate bug for that?
17:31 owen There really ought to be a separate bug for it
17:31 owen I'm not going to submit a patch for both issues at once
17:33 jwag_mtg is now known as jwagner
17:35 cait ok, will write a new bug
17:36 cait you make me work hard today owen :)
17:36 * owen cracks the whip
17:37 owen Thanks for your efforts cait, I appreciate it!
17:37 cait :)
17:42 druthb cait++
17:46 cait owen: assign bug to you?
17:46 owen Sure, I'll give it a shot
17:47 cait bug 4924
17:47 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=4924 major, P5, ---, oleonard, NEW, Public/Internal notes missing in staff normal view
17:51 owen It looks like biblio.serial gets set as 1 for any biblio with a series tag?
17:52 jcamins That explains all the monographis in our database with biblio.serial=1.
17:52 owen Hm... Koha to MARC mapping says biblio.serial is mapped to 942s, "Serial record flag"
17:56 owen I don't get it
18:09 owen Oh great, and on a record which has an actual subscription attached to it biblio.serial is NULL
18:10 * cait sends owen some chocolate
18:11 cait @quote random
18:11 munin cait: Quote #15: "<|Lupin|>ricardo: you are like the Portuguese Hitchcock!!" (added by wizzyrea at 10:58 AM, July 10, 2009)
18:12 cait munin: I was thinking about the one with the zillion ants
18:12 munin cait: Error: "I" is not a valid command.
18:12 jcamins owen: Do I remember correctly that you submitted a patch that fixed the XSLT stylesheets so that when you clicked on a subject, the link would search for the entire subject, and not just the main entry?
18:13 owen I remember looking at it, but I don't think I came up with a solution
18:14 jwagner collum came up with a partial solution for that -- I poked at it some, and so did he, but we didn't finish it.
18:14 jcamins Ah. Thanks. Any idea how I might find that bug in bugzilla?
18:15 jwagner Bug 4276 (had to go look for it)
18:15 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=4276 critical, P5, ---, gmcharlt, NEW, "Related subjects" search is OPAC doesn't work with chained subject terms
18:15 jcamins Thank you.
18:31 owen I'm thinking Liblime ought to change the theme of their public demo given the news that just went live on Polaris
18:32 owen
18:36 cait ooh
18:37 cait and they kept the design...
18:38 wizzyrea oh dear
18:39 nengard such a sad story :( was so proud of HC for going all OSS
18:40 druthb Amy still grieves over that a little, I think.
18:41 wizzyrea is it a total windows shop now?
18:41 nengard total proprietary shop
18:41 nengard not sure what kinds
18:42 wizzyrea I know their public access machines were all OSS at one point
18:42 francharb joined #koha
18:42 francharb left #koha
18:42 wizzyrea groovix
18:42 wizzyrea is what they were using
18:43 nengard yup
18:44 nengard i remember
18:44 wizzyrea did they give that up?
18:44 nengard think so
18:44 wizzyrea ew
18:44 nengard that was my impression
18:44 nengard new director
18:44 wizzyrea we had amy at our tech day a couple of years ago talking about their OSS setup
18:46 wizzyrea I think we're thinking of doing something similar with Mint, actually.
18:48 wizzyrea ooh, there's deepfreeze for linux now
19:01 jwagner I'm trying to catch up on some of the very old things on my list (I can actually see portions of my desktop now!).  Working on Bug 3782 -- I tried changing the z39.50 setup for  NYU as jcamins had it in the bug report, but when I send a search, it produces an error:
19:01 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=3782 enhancement, P5, ---, gmcharlt, NEW, delivered z39.50 targets wrong for NY Public Library and NY University Library
19:01 jwagner Wide character in null operation at /usr/share/perl5/MARC/Charset/ line 96.
19:01 jwagner Any idea what that one is about?
19:05 druthb left #koha
19:05 jcamins That's strange. I'll try searching NYU, just to make sure that it hasn't broken recently or something.
19:11 jwagner I've never seen that kind of Perl error with a z39.50, and others are working OK.
19:12 nengard left #koha
19:12 jwagner While I'm at it, would there be any objection if I removed Smithsonian from the delivered set of z39.50 targets?  It seems to be of limited use as a resource, and I spent quite a long time working with them on search problems.  With their server config, only raw (keyword) and author searches will work
19:13 jwagner Everything else fails because it wants specific use attributes which Koha can't send
19:14 paul_p joined #koha
19:15 gmcharlt jwagner: no objection from me
19:17 jwagner I think I'll do that as a separate bug entry, just to avoid muddying the waters on the original problem.
19:18 collum joined #koha
19:18 owen Is it just me or does "misc/" always say "looks bad" during a new Koha install?
19:20 chris what version owen
19:21 owen Sorry--what version of what?
19:21 chris koha
19:21 chris head?
19:21 * owen is trying an install of 3.0.x
19:21 chris and yeah it will
19:22 chris theres i a patch out there for it, that has been reformatted a few times, to tell koha to explicitly use the right sax parser, rather than making ppl edit the parserdetails.ini file
19:23 owen I seem to recall something about moving the contents of parserdetails.ini around?
19:25 chris yeah thats it
19:26 jwagner jcamins, I have to head out in a few minutes -- I updated the bug report with the error message so as not to lose it.
19:32 cait tired, bye all
19:32 cait left #koha
19:39 owen When trying "force intsall DVD::mysql" I get errors about "Can't exec "mysql_config""
19:43 wizzyrea do you mean DBD::mysql?
19:43 chris hmm why not install the debian package?
19:43 chris sudo apt-get install libdbd-mysql-perl
19:43 chris ok bus time
19:43 jwagner left #koha
19:43 * owen is following the instructions in the INSTALL.ubuntu file
19:44 owen ...since that's what a new Koha user would do
19:46 owen So "force install DBD::mysql" installs the same thing as "sudo apt-get install libdbd-mysql-perl" ?
19:47 owen If so, the instructions are incorrect
19:49 owen Warning: prerequisite HTTP::OAI 3.2 not found.
19:49 owen Warning: prerequisite XML::SAX::Writer 0.44 not found.
19:56 chris Yes
19:57 wizzyrea we should probably update the instructions to point to the debian/ubuntu packages
19:57 chris Patching the file would be good too
19:57 wizzyrea b/c most people would leap straight to cpan
19:57 chris Yeah cpan should be las resort
19:57 chris T
19:58 collum left #koha
19:59 chris Those ones are debian squeeze not sure about ubuntu
19:59 chris Gah can't type on phone today
20:00 owen ubuntu.packages already lists libdbd-mysql-perl, so it that's all that is required, the whole section on using cpan to install DBD::mysql could be removed
20:04 chris Yes
20:05 * owen had better not get into configuring zebra in the last 2 minutes of his work day
20:07 owen left #koha
20:13 schuster left #koha
20:23 richard joined #koha
20:23 richard hi
20:29 chris back
20:30 chris_n left #koha
20:30 chris_n joined #koha
20:31 slef hi all
20:31 gmcharlt hi slef
20:31 wizzyrea oh hi slef
20:31 chris hi slef
20:31 chris george oates says she is a definite maybe for speaker ... you are a definite definite eh slef?
20:32 slef I will be in a few minutes.
20:32 slef Just arranging flights.
20:32 slef Which brings me to something I'm sure I asked before - which days is the hackfest?
20:32 chris sweet :)
20:33 chris monday tuesday wednesday (25, 26, 27) are conference proper
20:33 slef that much I got
20:33 chris 28th is morning off, afternoon trip to levin for mayoral reception and dinner at a marae
20:34 chris plus visiting HLT of course
20:34 chris friday, sat, sun, mon
20:34 chris are developer conference
20:34 slef 4 days!
20:35 chris thats the plan, we'll try to cover all the important stuff the first 2
20:35 chris then those that want to can head off
20:35 slef I'm being persuaded to visit the south island... ok, sounds good
20:35 slef bbl after booked
20:35 * slef starts arguing with airlines
20:35 chris yeah south island is pretty
20:36 slef oh... and someone mentioned to me that NZ is a small country... not compared to England, it's not.  It's about twice the size.
20:37 paul_p left #koha
20:42 chris yeah
20:43 chris if you squish it up, its the size of colorado
20:43 chris but with 4 million ppl in it
20:49 chris slef: are you doing the road trip?
21:12 slef chris: yes, deposit sent
21:12 chris awesome
21:12 chris what day does that get you into wellington?
21:12 slef I've mislaid my credit card :-/
21:12 slef Sunday isn't it? Look on the website, as my notes are downstairs
21:13 chris righto
21:13 slef found my flexible friend... time to stress-test it
21:13 slef bbl
21:15 chris slef:
21:15 chris or
21:15 chris
21:15 chris both very close to wellington :)
21:22 hdl left #koha
21:23 hdl joined #koha
21:37 Nate left #koha
21:46 hdl left #koha
22:24 richard is now known as rich-away
23:04 slef Heh. Thanks. I think I'll take it a bit more leisurely while there.
23:05 chris :)
23:06 slef hrm, no eticket for my flight yet. Will email details in the morning if it's arrived.
23:06 slef (8-9 hours from now)
23:06 chris cool
23:06 chris sleep well
23:07 slef byeee
23:25 rich-away is now known as richard
23:34 Genji joined #koha
23:41 Genji hiya!
23:41 Genji whats the best centos install guide?

| Channels | #koha index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | plain, newest first | summary