IRC log for #koha, 2014-12-10

All times shown according to UTC.

Time S Nick Message
00:00 rangi so my next question is, published xss vuln .. probably need to do an out of band security release eh
00:01 rangi cant really wait until the 22nd
00:01 rangi since we've been 0dayed
00:01 drojf i'd say yes
00:01 rangi yeah ill do one for 3.18
00:02 rangi if this tests out ok
00:10 rangi @later tell tcohen take a look at bug 13425 ive pushed to 3.18.x already but it should go in master too, thanks
00:10 huginn rangi: The operation succeeded.
00:13 rangi rambutan: its pushed to 3.18.x if you wanted to take a look
00:17 bag who's 3.16?
00:17 rangi mtj
00:17 bag ah
00:17 rangi mtj: are you around?
00:23 wizzyrea mtj- as well
00:26 drojf good night #koha
00:26 rangi thanks heaps drojf
00:26 drojf :)
00:26 drojf left #koha
00:29 rangi
00:38 wizzyrea good stuff
00:39 rangi done
00:39 banana joined #koha
00:39 rangi reported 11.42am
00:40 rangi new release at 1.39pm
00:40 rangi not even 2 hours
00:40 ibeardslee awesome
00:40 rangi @later tell mtj take a look at bug 13425 you will want to cut a 3.16.x release with it in it asap
00:40 huginn rangi: The operation succeeded.
00:41 wizzyrea rangi++
00:42 aleisha woo go rangi
01:20 wajasu rangi++
01:27 afmp joined #koha
01:27 rocio left #koha
01:30 afmp left #koha
01:35 dcook So if I understand this correctly...
01:35 dcook CentOS is built from RHEL and RHEL is built from Fedora?
01:37 dcook RHEL and Fedora are owned by Red Hat... and CentOS is "sponsored" by Red Hat?
01:37 dcook Debian is run by Debian, Ubuntu is run by Canonical...
01:37 dcook SUSE and OpenSUSE by SUSE...
01:38 ibeardslee I understand that CentOS is now owned by Redhat
01:39 ibeardslee not quite ibeardslee .. CentOS announced the official joining with Red Hat while staying independent from RHEL, under a new CentOS governing board.
01:40 dcook Yeah, that's what I saw
01:40 ibeardslee whatever that really means
01:40 dcook Although at the time, I think the headlines were saying that Redhat now owned CentOS
01:40 dcook I know, right?
01:41 wizzyrea all the sigh
01:42 * dcook is going to stop thinking about distros
01:42 dcook Looks like Chef Server only runs on Ubuntu and RHEL though
01:42 dcook Or at least they only package it for those distros
01:42 dcook I think you could probably built your own packages or build from source by collecting up all the code from the bazillion repos on Github..
01:43 dcook It looks like a rather complex tool so fair enough perhaps, but dang :/
01:43 dcook I suppose a person could just run up a machine solely to be the Chef Server
01:43 * dcook would love to switch to Debian or Ubuntu anyway...
01:44 dcook Maybe ...
01:49 dcook Hmmm
01:50 dcook Don't love the Opscode docs. They keep everything up but don't necessarily label what's out of date...
01:56 wizzyrea dcook: glad the thing worked out yesterday
01:56 dcook Ah yeah. That was neat.
01:56 dcook Didn't 100% figure out the problem, but understood the solution.
01:56 dcook If that makes sense..
01:56 dcook Or rather... knew the problem, knew the solution, but not 100% sure of the root of the problem
01:56 dcook Yeah..
01:59 mtj hi rangi
01:59 rangi hey mtj
01:59 mtj roger on bug 13425
01:59 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=13425 is not accessible.
02:00 rangi cool
02:00 rangi theres a patch for 3.16 on there
02:00 rangi[…]lease_maintenance  <-- helpful
02:01 mtj ta, thanks for the info
02:02 wizzyrea Trial by fire, go!
02:02 rangi lemme know if you cant pust to 3.16.x
02:03 rangi you have 2 keys , i added one, but it might be the wrong one :)
02:03 rangi push even
02:04 mtj ok thanks
04:22 jcamins Does anyone know why the 3.16.x patch labeled "OPAC" is intranet-only and obsoletes an actual OPAC patch?
04:23 eythian hi
04:24 eythian jcamins: human error?
04:24 wahanui hmmm... human error is no fun, but I'm not sure that I understand what you're trying to do classification-wise overall.
04:24 jcamins eythian: okay, just checking there wasn't a reason I was missing.
04:25 eythian I don't know, just specilating
04:25 eythian and misspelling
04:25 wahanui somebody said misspelling was immortalized in master now :-)
04:25 dcook Deliberate sadism?
04:27 eythian I had my laptop tracking planes today, by receiving their transponder data.
04:27 eythian but now I have to roll security releases
04:28 dcook :D
04:28 dcook Sounds awesome, eythian
04:29 eythian also got much of the way decoding commands to an alarm system.
04:29 eythian Note to self: don't buy cheap alarm systems, they're an open book.
04:29 dcook hehe
04:29 dcook Yeah, I can't remember what the article was that said not to use cheap wireless stuff
04:29 jcamins eythian: also, locks are scarily easy to pick.
04:30 dcook jcamins: although owning lockpicks might be more illegal than owning radio software?
04:30 dcook Not that legality matters much in many cases..
04:30 jcamins dcook: I can buy sets of lockpicks at street fairs.
04:30 dcook Really?
04:30 jcamins Yeah.
04:30 dcook I thought it was illegal in America
04:31 jcamins If so, they clearly don't enforce it.
04:31 eythian dcook: I'm pretty sure it's legal here too.
04:31 dcook Huh... learn something new everyday
04:31 dcook eythian: Probably. I just recall an American (who had lockpicks) mentioning to me that they were illegal to buy in the US
04:31 dcook Perhaps my memory is faulty or he was incorrect/lying
04:32 jcamins dcook: varies by state.
04:32 jcamins Legal in NY.
04:33 jcamins rangi: any objection to my revising your patches so that they have descriptions that match what they do?
04:33 eythian jcamins: rangi is probably en route home
04:34 jcamins eythian: do you think he'd mind?
04:34 eythian I doubt it
04:34 jcamins Okay.
04:34 * jcamins either.
04:35 dcook Good ol' regional laws
04:35 dcook Well, I guess everywhere is a region in one way or another...
04:35 eythian I have a feeling they might be more legally dubious in .au
04:35 eythian There'll be lockpicking training at kiwicon, someone will know
04:35 dcook I figure pretty  much everything is illegal here
04:35 dcook On the plus side, I have Medicare now :D
04:35 dcook s/now/now... for now/
04:36 dcook Really wish I could've gone to kiwicon...
04:37 eythian I just had a full day of software defined radio training, it was neato.
04:37 jcamins banana: around?
04:37 jcamins Uhhh...
04:37 jcamins bag: around?
04:37 eythian close :)
04:40 dcook yeah rangi mentioned earlier that you were at that one today, eythian
04:40 dcook I think my day was spent on learning about... Chef and Amazon AWS
04:41 eythian @later tell larryb oldstable is 3.14 because there's been no new 3.16 release yet, usually they're in sync enough that I just do it when the new release comes out but this time that didn't happen
04:41 huginn eythian: The operation succeeded.
04:41 jcamins Should I remove bag's sign-off? He signed off on a patch that doesn't do what it says, which makes me think maybe the uploaded patch isn't what he was testing.
04:41 eythian it's probably good to make sure things are correct, so I'd say yes
04:42 jcamins Yeah, that was my thought.
04:43 jcamins Okay, that's done.
04:46 jcamins bag: I went ahead and removed your sign-off, since you'll be working on Koha again soon and would be able to confirm your sign-off was intentional.
04:52 eythian updated 3.18 packages uploading
04:52 eythian uploaded
04:54 * eythian will do 3.16 when the update is release.
04:54 eythian +d
05:02 mtompset joined #koha
05:02 mtompset @later tell drojf You're safe from the live dvd. :)
05:02 huginn mtompset: The operation succeeded.
05:07 dcook Anyone have any ideas about: "fatal: Unable to find remote helper for 'https'"
05:07 eythian what's the context?
05:07 wahanui the context is everything?
05:07 dcook When using git clone
05:07 eythian exactly
05:07 * dcook just realized that wasn't part of the error message
05:07 eythian hmm
05:08 eythian what platform?
05:08 dcook OpenSUSE
05:08 wahanui rumour has it OpenSUSE is not used by many developers, and will likely be difficult to get Koha working with
05:08 dcook ^
05:08 eythian did you build it, or install it from repos?
05:08 dcook Someone installed git from source originally
05:08 * dcook is going to try reconfiguring it
05:08 eythian you probably need libcurl-devel installed when building it to do that
05:09 eythian also libcurl-devel
05:09 dcook Yeah, I've seen that around. I thought we had it but I should doublecheck
05:09 eythian otherwise it may not come with http(s) support
05:09 dcook Yep, already got libcurl-devel
05:09 dcook I bet it just wasn't built correctly
05:10 eythian can you use git:// in this situation?
05:10 dcook Nah, github will only let you use https when you push
05:10 * dcook cheated and used git to clone in the first place to workaround it
05:10 eythian I don't think that's true
05:10 eythian I think you can't push on https at all
05:10 eythian only on git:
05:10 dcook Hmm, that's what someone said somewhere
05:11 dcook I suspect it's how Github defaults as well
05:11 eythian do you have ssh keys set up for it?
05:11 dcook Yep
05:11 eythian then I'd expect it to Just Workâ„¢
05:12 dcook Same
05:12 eythian are you pushing to a repo you own?
05:12 dcook Yep
05:12 eythian i.e. you're not trying to push to someone else's repo by accident?
05:12 dcook Nope, definitely mine
05:13 eythian then I'd get to the bottom of why pushing to git:// doesn't work, rather than making https work :)
05:13 dcook Want to push a Chef cookbook to my Github so that Amazon Opworks can pick it up and use it when building an instance
05:13 dcook ah
05:13 dcook My bad perhaps
05:13 jcamins You can push to GH using SSH or HTTPS.
05:13 dcook git:// works to clone but not to push
05:13 dcook jcamins: I hadn't thought of ssh... that would also make sense
05:13 jcamins You can't push on git:// ever.
05:13 eythian oh
05:13 eythian hmm
05:14 eythian ahh
05:14 eythian it's all git+ssh://
05:14 eythian that I have for pushing things
05:14 eythian or like:
05:14 eythian for example
05:15 eythian I guess that must use ssh
05:15 mtj hey eythian, got a tic?
05:15 dcook yeah probably uses ssh
05:15 * dcook will give it a go
05:15 eythian mtj: sup
05:15 mtj ..any idea what the next 3.16.x version should be?
05:16 mtj ie: the version i'm about to release
05:16 mtj current version is
05:16 eythian I guess.
05:16 dcook Hmm ssh was better...
05:16 eythian jcamins is likely to be able to help you more accurately
05:17 jcamins mtj: 3.16.05.
05:17 dcook Something isn't working along the line though..
05:17 eythian mtj: if you're planning to push it in the next little while, I'll hang around and publish the packages right after
05:17 jcamins Unless you already tagged 3.16.05, in which case, 3.16.06.
05:17 mtj thanx jcamins
05:18 mtj eythian: yep, im hoping to push soon
05:18 eythian cool
05:18 eythian then I have to go to a VIP party :D
05:19 mtj LUCKY!
05:19 eythian the things we have do to :)
05:20 dcook Hmm..
05:20 dcook So my key is working... but still failing when I try pushing
05:20 dcook No, not even pushing
05:20 dcook Just trying to do "git remote show origin"
05:21 eythian what does failing mean in this context?
05:21 dcook Permission denied :S
05:21 mtj hey jcamins, can you recall how to generate the koha release-notes?
05:21 dcook Even though if I try SSHing directly, I authenticate fine
05:22 dcook I must've set up the url wrong..
05:22 jcamins mtj: yes, use the script.
05:22 jcamins Or, even better, use
05:22 jcamins IMO
05:24 dcook Yep, set up the url wrong
05:24 jcamins Good night.
05:24 wahanui Don't go, jcamins. Stay a while. Stay forever.
05:25 dcook Forever... forever...
05:25 mtj hmm, i dont know the name of the script, and '' is not in the koha repo
05:26 eythian is it wikied somewhere?
05:26 mtj rangi: abouty?
05:27 mtj ta, ill take a look
05:28 dcook mtj: I think there's a repo somewhere that has in it
05:28 dcook tcohen would know
05:28 mtj ah, moar info..[…]lease_maintenance
05:28 dcook I know I've seen it
05:28 mtj 'Release notes are automatically generated by the script from the release-tools repo.'
05:28 dcook Huzzah. Finally pushed to Github for the first time.
05:29 mtj mtj-- for missing that ^
05:29 huginn mtj: Error: You're not allowed to adjust your own karma.
05:29 * dcook had to listen to Slayer after wahanui's staying forever remark
05:29 dcook Hmm, no comment from wahanui
05:34 * eythian adds some duolingo XP while he waits
05:45 mtompset Windows XP? ;)
05:46 eythian no swearing, mtompset
05:47 mtompset Not swearing. Just sad that the Z3950 perl library and Text::Bidi didn't like Strawberry Perl in Windows.
05:57 eythian mtj: any progress?
05:59 mtj yep, very close... but now on fone to dad?!
06:04 cait joined #koha
06:05 mtj hmm, ive autogened the release notes.. but my patch didnt get listed in the notes.txt..
06:06 eythian[…]_week_m%C4%81ori/ <-- rangi
06:15 eythian mtj: I have to go fairly soon, any ETA?
06:19 mtj hey eythian, something is a little goofy with my release notes..
06:29 eythian mtj: I have to head off now, I'll hopefully get to that tomorrow.
06:29 eythian <-- mtj, rangi, wizzyrea
06:29 mtj no probs lil' buddy
06:29 mtj im (hopefully) about 5 mins away from a push
06:30 mtj ..have a very important time eythian :)
06:43 mtompset Have a good day, #koha.
06:51 mtj hmm, ive managed to push my commits to the 3.16.x branch (good)
06:51 mtj ..but i'm getting an error, when attempting to push my new 'v3.16.05' tag
06:52 mtj rangi: do i lack some access rights on the kc box, to push/create tags?
06:53 jenkins_koha Starting build #31 for job Koha_3.16.x_U14 (previous build: FAILURE)
06:54 * magnuse waves
06:56 mtj hey magnuse
06:56 magnuse kia ora mtj
06:56 rangi mtj: try that
06:57 pastebot "mtj" at pasted "pushing a tag, fails" (12 lines) at
06:57 magnuse ooh, slayer!
06:58 mtj 1 tic..
06:58 mtj ta rangi, fixed ->[…]refs/heads/3.16.x
06:58 rangi you cool
06:59 magnuse mtj++
06:59 rangi you might want to edit your release notes so taht it says its a security release, and add the data about that, (I did that for mine)
06:59 mtj hey, i just noticed the XSS bug didnt show up in the rel_notes.txt
06:59 mtj yeah, snap
07:02 mtj rangi, whats the policy on fixing a commit, thats already pushed to the KC repo
07:02 rangi you'll have to do another one
07:02 rangi and retag
07:03 mtj ok, np
07:03 rangi or you could just fix it when you post the release notes to the site
07:05 mtj rangi:  can i reuse the 'v3.16.05' tag?
07:05 mtj or must i use another one
07:06 mtj ie: can i delete my local tag, make a new one
07:06 mtj ..then force/push that new tag to a remote
07:06 mtj is that what you mean by a 'retag'
07:07 mtj can i reuse the same tag name -  or must i always use a different one, now ive pushed that tag remotely
07:08 rangi just tag again with the same tag
07:09 rangi if you cant do that, juts dont worry
07:09 rangi cos the important bits of that commit are the version number
07:09 mtj ooh, success
07:09 mtj[…]refs/heads/3.16.x
07:09 mtj retagged
07:10 rangi cool
07:13 mtj was not so hard :0)
07:14 cait rangi++ mtj++
07:15 mtj ..mainly because of the awsome release info, in the wiki
07:15 mtj hiya cait
07:16 magnuse eythian is probably not around to build a package from that?
07:17 laurence joined #koha
07:17 mtj yeah, he just left(ish) magnuse
07:19 magnuse ish? :-)
07:20 magnuse rangi: "a freeboard #kohails dashboard" sounds interesting
07:21 rangi yeah we'll put it up somewhere to look at sometime next week
07:22 magnuse does it monitor one instance or the koha project?
07:23 jenkins_koha Project Koha_3.16.x_U14 build #31: NOW UNSTABLE in 30 min: http://jenkins.koha-community.[…]ha_3.16.x_U14/31/
07:23 jenkins_koha * Chris Cormack: Bug 13425 - XSS in opac facets - Patch for 3.16
07:23 jenkins_koha * Mason James: Increment version for 3.16.5 release
07:23 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=13425 is not accessible.
07:24 jenkins_koha Starting build #32 for job Koha_3.16.x_U14 (previous build: FAILURE)
07:30 jenkins_koha Yippee, build fixed!
07:30 wahanui o/ '`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`
07:30 jenkins_koha Project Koha_3.16.x_D7 build #28: FIXED in 25 min: http://jenkins.koha-community.[…]oha_3.16.x_D7/28/
07:30 jenkins_koha * Chris Cormack: Bug 13425 - XSS in opac facets - Patch for 3.16
07:30 jenkins_koha * Mason James: Increment version for 3.16.5 release
07:30 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=13425 is not accessible.
07:36 jenkins_koha Project Koha_3.16.x_U12 build #29: FAILURE in 13 sec: http://jenkins.koha-community.[…]ha_3.16.x_U12/29/
07:37 reiveune joined #koha
07:38 reiveune hello
07:38 cait left #koha
07:38 sophie_m joined #koha
07:40 magnuse ouch "ERROR: Error fetching remote repo 'origin'" http://jenkins.koha-community.[…].x_U12/29/console
07:47 dac joined #koha
07:48 drojf joined #koha
07:48 drojf good morning #koha
07:49 drojf @later tell mtompset Woohoo! :D
07:49 huginn drojf: The operation succeeded.
07:52 jenkins_koha Project Koha_3.16.x_U14 build #32: NOW UNSTABLE in 28 min: http://jenkins.koha-community.[…]ha_3.16.x_U14/32/
07:52 jenkins_koha Mason James: fix typo in release notes
07:59 alex_a joined #koha
08:00 alex_a bonjour
08:00 wahanui what's up, alex_a
08:03 Joubu joined #koha
08:05 Joubu hello
08:05 wahanui hola, Joubu
08:14 gaetan_B joined #koha
08:14 gaetan_B hello
08:38 drojf1 joined #koha
08:40 cait joined #koha
08:59 Joubu rangi: I agree, I will move the patch to its own bug report
09:01 paul_p joined #koha
09:06 drojf joined #koha
09:21 nlegrand Ooh ! Aah ! Koha !
09:23 magnuse nlegrand: yay!
09:36 magnuse looks like bug 13396 will be a stumbling block for people who upgrade to 3.18 with the packages
09:36 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=13396 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, gmcharlt, NEW , koha-rebuild-zebra: Couldn't open collection.abs error after 3.18 package update
10:13 akafred joined #koha
10:22 akafred Hi all - I am looking for performance data on misc/migration_tools/ ... ran an import of 1.472.512 records to Koha 3.18.00 which took about 19 hours ... is that expected?
10:26 magnuse it does sound a bit slow, but i have no experience with those kinds of numbers...
10:26 magnuse maybe someone at biblibre, like gaetan_B?
10:27 gaetan_B akafred: hello :) i am not surprised that this was long, it even sounds fairly reasonable for such a large amount of data if you ask me
10:28 gaetan_B when we import data for migrations, we don't use bulkmarcimport actually, we have custom scripts
10:29 akafred We have to think about our migration window ... and 19 hours just for this part gives no buffer if something needs to be rerun ...
10:30 akafred By 'custom scripts' you mean?
10:30 Joubu akafred: you could try to use this script with 10 records and profile the execution of the script. To know where the processing time is elapsed
10:31 gaetan_B we have script interacting directly with the koha functions to migrate, but i can't tell you much more about this
10:32 gaetan_B for a migration though, especially a large one, you will have to plan some buffer for the case where things can go wrong, and my opinion is that it does involve telling the librarians they will have to stop providing service for a while ;)
10:32 magnuse ooh, secret sauce ;-)
10:32 gaetan_B maybe only one or two days of not loaning documents
10:32 gaetan_B to be on the safe side
10:32 gaetan_B because if your migration window is "sunday" and things are not looking as you were hoping on monday morning, it will be a really sad monday
10:34 gaetan_B i'm not saying i can't tell you more about the secret sauce because it's secret, it's just that i am not a specialist about this ;)
10:34 mtj akafred: try disabling your zebra indexing when importing
10:34 mtj ..then a full index, after
10:35 Joubu yes mtj is right, I was exactly looking at that.
10:35 magnuse good idea
10:35 Joubu but not sure to gain a lot of time
10:37 magnuse would be interesting to see how much effect it has
10:37 akafred ... we can suspend zebra ...
10:38 mtj yes :)
10:39 magnuse koha-stop-zebra is your friend
10:39 mtj akafred: 19 hours is very slow - i recently did 1.9 million records, in hmm  4 hours
10:40 Joubu but the script searches for duplicates, using zebra of course
10:40 magnuse is there some way to turn that off?
10:40 Joubu be care if you use this feature
10:42 magnuse would that be "-fk Turn off foreign key checks during import"?
10:42 akafred Another interesting observation about is that CPU-usage tops out at about 125% (on an 8 core machine) so it seems pretty much single threaded (or it is IO-bound, haven't looked at those stats, but I am guessing it is not). We see a slight increase in load during the import,which i am guessing is caused because of indexing a bigger index...
10:42 akafred mtj: on 2.16 or 3.18?
10:43 akafred i meant 3.16
10:43 mtj hmm 3.14
10:43 Malik____ joined #koha
10:44 Malik____ Hello everyone i am trying to configure GSM Modem for SMS Service but i can't get the drivers for koha can anyone tell me about right configuration of GSM Modem for Koha on Ubuntu
10:44 akafred We have a theory that we ran bulkmarcimport faster on 3.16, but haven't tried to reproduce. Could there be a performance regression?
10:47 Joubu Malik____: ?
10:48 Joubu Malik____: I did not find a driver for them on the cpan. You will have to write it yourself
10:48 Malik____ how i can right
10:48 mtj
10:48 mtj Malik____:  that looks quite good ^
10:48 Joubu akafred: could be good to know :) And quite easy to test, with 10k records
10:48 mtj you should try that one
10:50 mtj akafred: i have been thinking about using ram or ssd, to speed up importing
10:50 Joubu Malik____: follow the link mtj sent, I completely misunderstood...
10:51 mtj a ramfs perhaps
10:51 Malik____ i am checking that and trying to install that
10:52 mtj Malik____:  you can use an SMS service too - if you can not get your modem working
10:53 Malik____ i have checked all services like clickatell talking itive etc but there API are not workin in pakistan so i preffered to use GSM Device
10:54 mtj hmm , ok
10:57 mtj oops, tmpfs - not ramfs
11:24 cait drojf++
12:52 meliss joined #koha
12:56 oleonard joined #koha
13:09 oleonard Hi #koha
13:10 cait hi oleonard
13:27 collum joined #koha
13:45 Dyrcona joined #koha
14:12 maryj joined #koha
14:14 maryj joined #koha
14:14 oleonard I get so mixed up about testing translation bugs...
14:14 oleonard cait does my test plan on Bug 13400 look correct?
14:14 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=13400 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, veron, Failed QA , Untranslatable "Are you sure you want to delete this authority?"
14:14 cait sec
14:15 cait oleonard: if you edit the po file, one reason it might fail is a 'fuzzy' marker
14:15 cait if there is a fuzzy in one o the comments for the entry, you also need to delete that
14:16 cait your test plan looks correct
14:16 cait just looking for a reaosn why it might have failed
14:16 oleonard Okay I'll bet that was it
14:16 oleonard Yeah I'll re-test
14:17 cait otherwise... not sure - was confirm the one that we had problems with before?
14:18 oleonard Yes, but I don't think that's the reason in this case because it looks similar to other instances which seem to be working
14:19 phasefx joined #koha
14:19 oleonard Yup that was it. Thanks cait
14:19 cait np
14:22 NateC joined #koha
14:23 oleonard I'm always surprised that these translation bugs keep popping up
14:23 F0undation joined #koha
14:24 F0undation Hello again! Q: Anyone encountered the error "No branchcode argument passed to Koha::Calendar->new at /usr/share/koha/lib/C4/ line 3382" already, and know how to fix it?
14:24 F0undation Happens when I try to checkout anything
14:32 oleonard F0undation: Do your items have library branch codes for home and holding branch?
14:34 F0undation oleaonard: Yes, I've set those - even though we're only 1 library without branches, so it's all the same code
14:34 cait do you have holidays in your calendar?
14:35 cait maybe it's something in that area
14:35 F0undation our library is open 24/7 for the moment :)
14:37 cma joined #koha
14:38 F0undation tried from also to look at shelving location - but that didn't help (also isn't something we use, and is as far as I can see no mandatory field)
14:40 oleonard This seems to be the same issue but it's not clear to me with the solution was:[…].nz/msg12432.html
14:40 alex_a joined #koha
14:41 oleonard "shelving location was missing" ... Shelving location shouldn't be mandatory.
14:41 F0undation ah, got it! it was the CircControl pref, which was set to "library the item is from". Setting it to "library you're logged in at" solves it
14:41 cait hm i think maybe it was confusion - we have lots of libaries not using it
14:41 cait sounds a bit like a bug
14:42 oleonard My test system is set up to use "library the item is from" and I don't have any problems with check-in.
14:44 F0undation Upon further investigation: I've got circulation rules and defaults set for "all libraries". But not for my specific named library: upon selecting there it said "defaults not set". Think that might've been the issue.
14:44 oleonard I don't think so
14:44 oleonard The defaults for "all libraries" should work
14:48 maryj joined #koha
15:11 alex_a joined #koha
15:13 JoshB joined #koha
15:17 nlegrand I'm working on an RFC for managing books circulation from closed stacks. For the question "how do I know the book is in closed stacks" should I fiddle with bug 737 and <>?
15:17 huginn Bug[…]ow_bug.cgi?id=737 enhancement, P2, ---, magnus, NEW , Map of library in search system
15:17 cait nlegrand: i think it might dpeendon how exactly you need to know
15:18 cait woudl a location work or does it need to be graphical to the user?
15:19 nlegrand It doesn't need to be graphical, the user should just see it's not publicly available and should be able to ask for it from the OPAC
15:20 drojf i like the idea of hidden stacks that you have to search using maps or geo coordinates
15:20 cait heh of course :)
15:20 drojf don't listen to me, i only slept 3 hours
15:20 nlegrand :D
15:20 drojf hi cait :)
15:20 cait nlegrand: i think the map is a bit different idea then, maybe not mix
15:20 cait have to go... dentist :(
15:20 cait left #koha
15:21 drojf nlegrand: what cait says, i think the map feature has a different scope
15:22 drojf oh look, i posted on that bug years ago. heh
15:23 nlegrand ok :)
15:23 oleonard nlegrand: I'm curious what some of the issues are for closed stacks. What kind of changes are you thinking of?
15:23 edveal joined #koha
15:24 drojf *puts the map thingy on the »projects to do with more koha playtime« pile*
15:24 drojf oh, it was already there :D
15:24 nlegrand oleonard: it's what have been done at BULAC library with a 3.2 version. Sadely, the code is hardly portable to 3.18 (lots of hardcoding stuff and BULAC specificities in it).
15:26 nlegrand problem statement is a bit like this: koha should be able to know an item is in closed stack and propose the patron to ask for it. When the librarian checked the asked items, he retrieve them from closed stacks and koha should be able to say to the patron "your book is waiting at desk x".
15:26 nlegrand oleonard: do you know people managing circulation in closed stack with koha?
15:26 oleonard No I don't
15:27 oleonard ...but my first library job was working with a closed stack collection, so I see what you're talking about.
15:28 nlegrand :) we have more than 800000 items in closed stacks, it's an important feature for us ^^
15:34 drojf maybe a combination of onsitecheckout and a new location (where to pick it up)?
15:47 nlegrand ho, I don't know about on-site checkout feature, where can I read about it? I failed to find it in documentation.
15:49 maryj joined #koha
15:49 oleonard It's new in 3.18 nlegrand
15:49 oleonard But even with those options you don't have the request and notification pieces you want
15:51 tcohen joined #koha
15:55 rocio joined #koha
15:55 tgoat joined #koha
16:03 Joubu nlegrand: did you read the description of the bug report? bug 10860
16:03 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10860 new feature, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart, Pushed to Master , On-site checkouts (was In-House Use)
16:04 Joubu nlegrand: the feature does not do a lot of things
16:09 nlegrand Got it, thanks.
16:09 Joubu nlegrand: feel free to ask me if you have a question
16:10 nlegrand Joubu: thanks :)
16:13 tcohen hi there
16:14 Joubu Hi tcohen
16:14 Joubu Did you sleep well? ;)
16:15 tcohen i'm getting used to sleep a couple hours in a row
16:16 tcohen an hour break, and so on
16:16 tcohen heh
16:16 tcohen Manuel is now sleeping
16:17 carmenh joined #koha
16:19 ashimema ooh.. hello tcohen
16:19 oleonard Hi tcohen, and congratulations!
16:19 ashimema congrats
16:19 * oleonard remembers that sleep-deprived time very well
16:19 tcohen heh
16:20 cait joined #koha
16:20 ashimema anyone here know how sip connections work?
16:21 tcohen
16:21 ashimema Colin's away for a week.. and of course.. that's the week they all go wrong ;)
16:21 ashimema awww..
16:22 ashimema got my other half cooing here ;)
16:26 tcohen ;)
16:30 kivilahtio_ joined #koha
16:35 laurence left #koha
16:44 * cait waves
16:45 cait hi tcohen :)
16:45 cait cute baby :)
16:45 cait ashimema: want me to brainstorm with you?
16:46 cait i am probably not much help, but at least i got it running on the laptop in the past
16:46 gaetan_B bye
16:48 ashimema it's the specifics of how the connections work i'm interseted in.
16:48 ashimema *interested..
16:48 ashimema I have a feeling what these guys are doing is plain never gonna work
16:48 cait are you using an ssh tunnel?
16:49 cait i might sound silly :)
16:50 ashimema don't think so with this customers.
16:50 ashimema they're sticking it behind a proxy. service which seems to be changing it's ip eratically..
16:50 ashimema so I'm not sure how a connection will ever be especialyl persistent..
16:50 cait hm
16:56 tcohen hi cait!!
16:56 * tcohen is cooking
16:56 cait i will do that in a minute too :)
16:56 cait what are you making?
16:56 cait and how is the little one?
16:56 cait and the lovely wife?
17:05 bag hey cait and tcohen
17:06 barton hi #koha!
17:09 oleonard How's it going barton?
17:10 barton I've got an interesting little blivit with the label creator: Sometimes the last line of the label is converted to upper case, some times it is not.
17:11 barton It's splitting the call number...
17:11 cait hm maybe something with the callnumber splitting algorithm?
17:11 cait i think that depends on what you have in $2 - the classification source
17:13 barton for example "NMI F 19.6 .F64 Spe" => "NMI .F 19.6 .F64 SPE", but "NMI PR 3403 .A1 Cru" => "NMI PR 3403 .A1 Cru"
17:23 oleonard barton: If all else fails you can try chanting chris_n's name three times while staring into the mirror of a darkened bathroom while holding a single lit candle.
17:23 barton cait: good call.
17:24 barton cn_source of 'dcc' is not converted to capitals, whereas 'lcc' is.
17:25 barton although I very much like oleonard's idea as well.
17:25 cait :)
17:30 kmlussier joined #koha
17:35 * barton wonders whether learning mauri tradition/religion would help trouble-shooting Koha.
17:38 barton oh, and ...
17:38 barton cait++
17:39 barton :-)
17:46 burdsjm_ joined #koha
17:53 drojf joined #koha
17:54 cait :)
18:02 * chris_n notes he will be back in about an hour or so and check back in with barton
18:03 cait ... it worked!
18:05 barton chris_n: I think that I'm all set, actually... unless you're offering to teach me something about the internals of koha and call number splitting, in which case I'm all ears.
18:06 barton i.e. my immediate problem is solved, but I'm always eager to learn.
18:06 rocio joined #koha
18:06 laurence joined #koha
18:39 kathryn joined #koha
18:53 carmenh joined #koha
19:00 meliss joined #koha
19:11 kmlussier left #koha
19:16 bshum joined #koha
19:37 reiveune bye
19:37 reiveune left #koha
19:59 laurence left #koha
20:03 chris_n barton: you can run the label call number split tests with variation of what you pass in and what you expect out and see if the algorithm works on a given call number as you expect
20:03 chris_n ie
20:03 chris_n perl Labels_split_lccn.t 'NMI F 19.6 .F64 Spe' 'NMI,.F,19.6,.F64,SPE'
20:04 barton chris_n: sure, I'll give that a shot.
20:04 chris_n although that looks like a ddcn
20:05 chris_n both lccn and ddcn algorithms appear to expect lowercase out in both cases
20:05 barton hmm.
20:05 chris_n so there maybe something munging with it at some point after that in the real code
20:06 barton I wonder whether the LCCN might be up-cased during normalization.
20:07 barton ... I might look at cn_sort to see...
20:08 chris_n that could be
20:09 chris_n there is some normalization effects which are done by a Koha dependency
20:09 chris_n I have submitted a patch to fix it to the package maintainer, but don't think it has been applied yet
20:09 * chris_n looks
20:11 chris_n well, there it sits... still
20:11 chris_n[…]ssues/detail?id=7
20:11 * chris_n pokes gmcharlt
20:12 chris_n barton: feel free to add a comment to the bug encouraging the package maintainer to push the fix
20:12 chris_n and I'd bet that is the source of your problem
20:12 chris_n bug 10821
20:12 huginn Bug[…]_bug.cgi?id=10821 major, P1 - high, ---, cnighswonger, CLOSED WONTFIX, label pdf adding in strange breaking
20:15 barton Yeah, I was just reading through that bug ...
20:18 barton chris_n: by 'package maintainer', I presume that you mean the maintainer of Library::CallNumber::LC?
20:19 chris_n right
20:20 chris_n as you can tell from the discussion on that koha bug, it is rather a problem for some
20:20 barton Right.
20:24 barton chris_n: I was able to vote by clicking the star icon next to defect ID 7 here:[…]callnumber-lc%3A7
20:24 chris_n great
20:24 barton I would encourage other members of the community who have been bitten by this to do so as well.
20:24 * chris_n wishes the entire Koha community would vote
20:25 wizzyrea mauri?
20:25 chris_n hey wizzyrea
20:25 wahanui wizzyrea is a Cylon, and they all have plans.
20:25 barton HA
20:25 chris_n I hope those plans include voting up the above mentioned fix
20:27 wizzyrea are you sure someone is actually paying attention to that?
20:27 wizzyrea also it's Maori ;)
20:28 ibeardslee Māori
20:29 ibeardslee ;)
20:30 wizzyrea you win
20:30 barton wizzyrea: regarding the mauri (or Maori, mea culpa), I was looking for rituals which wouild help fix the capitalization issue on spine labels. oleonard suggested saying chris_n's name 3 times while doing something ritualistic... anyway, it turns out that clicking the 'star' icon, as mentioned above, is far more powerful magic.
20:30 wizzyrea aren't you at kiwicon ibeardslee?
20:30 wizzyrea if you are WHY ARE YOU ONLINE
20:32 * wizzyrea is cynical
20:32 wizzyrea at least you feel like you're "doing somethign"
20:33 chris_n ok, I've added an announcement to the next general IRC meeting agenda to highlight this issue
20:39 jcamins wizzyrea: yes, actually.
20:39 jcamins A cynical Cylon with plans?
20:39 wizzyrea extremely.
20:40 burdsjm_ Does anyone have a recently returned books feed on their website?
20:40 drojf joined #koha
20:40 wizzyrea no, but it wouldn't be hard to do with a public report
20:40 wizzyrea I suspect it'd be a lot more boring than you imagine.
20:41 jcamins Or a little too much like drinking from a fire hose.
20:41 burdsjm_ Well boring or not our director wants it
20:42 wizzyrea @quote get 123
20:42 huginn wizzyrea: Quote #123: "rangi: #thingsihavelearnt if there is a mad scheme a library somewhere will be doing it ... except madder" (added by wizzyrea at 09:20 PM, March 30, 2011)
20:42 wahanui
20:42 * chris_n offers jcamins chocolate in exchange for voting up the above mentioned L::CN::LC bug
20:42 burdsjm_ We use to have one with horizon that let us link them to the catalog so people could click on them and go directly to the item info
20:42 jcamins chris_n: I decided to go straight to the source and ask the maintainer about it.
20:42 wizzyrea ah the old "make it like horizon"
20:42 chris_n I tried that months back, I think
20:42 chris_n so did gmcharlt
20:43 chris_n ok, off to roll up a PDF::Reuse release
20:44 burdsjm_ Horizon didn't do it it was an sql trigger that fired when the page loaded.  a pretty hack job when I did it.
20:44 jcamins He said he'd try to post a response soon.
20:45 wizzyrea how many are you wanting to show at once?>
20:45 burdsjm_ 3 at a time
20:46 burdsjm_ I have a public report that gives the info now but how to change them to links is beyond me
20:46 wizzyrea sql report library?
20:46 wahanui it has been said that sql report library is at[…]L_Reports_Library
20:46 wizzyrea ^ has a section about that.
20:47 burdsjm_ Thanks I'll look through it
20:47 wizzyrea you'll probably also want to investigate displaying json data in a webpage.
20:48 burdsjm_ our website vendor gave me the no json only iframe
20:50 WaylonR joined #koha
20:50 WaylonR hiya all
20:53 wizzyrea who's your website vendor?
20:55 burdsjm_ CivicPlus
20:55 burdsjm_ out of Kansas
20:56 nengard joined #koha
21:04 wizzyrea never heard of them
21:07 jcamins wizzyrea: but they're Kansan!
21:07 wizzyrea heh
21:08 chris_n its alive!
21:08 chris_n PDF::Reuse 0.36 that is
21:08 * chris_n heads out
21:10 cait good night all
21:10 cait left #koha
21:24 cait joined #koha
21:31 Dyrcona joined #koha
21:38 wizzyrea just got a notification from that defect report I cynically starred.
21:56 JoshB joined #koha
22:08 nengard left #koha
22:35 misilot joined #koha
22:47 barton_away chris_n: The magic star worked!!! I just got a reply in my inbox: Many apologies for letting this linger!  The patch looks reasonable at first glance, so I'll get a new version rolled ASAP.  Thanks for the help, and the reminder!
22:49 barton_away ... well, clicking on the link, that seems to be his reply to you, not to my 'star' but ... anyway...
23:12 wizzyrea hassling, it occasionally works
23:16 dcook :)
23:16 dcook Which reminds me I need to email the deja dup maintainer some time...
23:16 papa joined #koha
23:16 dcook He was so prompt with his emails. I'm a jerk for not answering more promptly in return.
23:30 dcook eythian: you around for a quick package question?
23:31 dcook Or really anyone familiar with the debian packages for Koha
23:31 dcook Well, familiar with how they gather dependencies..
23:31 dcook Ah, might've answered my own question
23:31 dcook "idzebra-2.0"
23:32 wizzyrea nope, he's at kiwicon
23:32 dcook Mmm, that he might be
23:32 wizzyrea no might about it ;)
23:32 dcook Ah, my bad. typo
23:32 dcook I think that he might be*
23:32 dcook I thought*
23:32 dcook Man dcook...
23:32 dcook Learn to type
23:32 wizzyrea lol
23:36 dcook Ahh so halcyonCorsair used to be at Catalyst? I've been taking a look at this ->
23:39 wizzyrea seems likely, that stuff is stuff we use here
23:39 dcook Yeah?
23:39 dcook You guys deploy using Chef? :S
23:39 wizzyrea nope, we use debian packages
23:39 * wizzyrea was looking more at the fabric deploy for drupal
23:39 dcook Mmm
23:39 wizzyrea I think he did that as an exercis
23:40 dcook I gotcha
23:40 wizzyrea exercise
23:40 wahanui i heard exercise was important!
23:40 dcook Yeah, seems like
23:40 wizzyrea indeed.
23:40 wizzyrea we have conflicted feelings about ruby.
23:40 dcook hehe fair enough
23:41 dcook Fortunately, with Amazon OpsWorks, I don't have to worry about it too much
23:41 dcook I write the recipes and then give them to Amazon
23:41 wizzyrea[…]pretties-champion
23:41 wizzyrea for no good reason other than rangi isn't here to populate your playlists.
23:41 dcook hehe
23:41 dcook Listening to Massive Attack already, so it's a bit of a genre jump, me thinks
23:41 wizzyrea mmmm shouldn't be too far
23:42 wizzyrea well besides "not electronic" vs "electronic"
23:43 wizzyrea ^ they're from wellington
23:43 wizzyrea ...and I didn't know that when I started listening to them.
23:44 dcook Yeah, I think rangi might've mentioned them earlier in the year because of a festival or something..
23:45 wizzyrea hm probably
23:46 dcook Hmm, I think I'm going to just try to do this gradually..
23:46 dcook Tempting to use some of those koha packages without using koha or koha-common though
23:48 wizzyrea what are you trying to do?
23:48 dcook No idea what the purpose of "koha-perldeps" and "koha-deps" is though
23:48 dcook Mmm, that's a good question
23:48 wizzyrea so you can install the dependencies without installing the full koha package
23:48 dcook Setting up a EC2 instance that is ready for Koha... without a Koha installed
23:48 dcook wizzyrea: But why would someone (besides me) want to do that?
23:48 wizzyrea say, for a not-gitify developer install
23:49 dcook Is that by design?
23:49 wizzyrea because they are lazy and don't want to get all the dependencies manually
23:49 dcook <---
23:49 dcook That's me :) lazy and don't want to manually handle the deps
23:49 wizzyrea i mean, what better reason do you need than "laziness"
23:49 wizzyrea it's the reason most things get done in IT.
23:49 dcook Well, I just wanted to check if it's intentional or a byproduct of something else
23:50 wizzyrea I don't think I can answer that. liw might be able to, he wrote most of the original packaging stuff
23:50 dcook Yeah, I need to corner liw one of these days and talk his ear off
23:50 dcook @seen mtompset
23:50 huginn dcook: mtompset was last seen in #koha 17 hours, 7 minutes, and 33 seconds ago: <mtompset> Have a good day, #koha.
23:51 dcook mtompset++
23:52 dcook @later tell mtompset Good one for the instructions at[…]a_on_ubuntu_-_git :)
23:52 huginn dcook: The operation succeeded.
23:52 dcook So glad to be using a Ubuntu EC2 instance
23:52 dcook Maybe one day we'll use Debian/Ubuntu for all our Koha instances..
23:52 dcook A boy can but dream
23:53 wizzyrea what's the reasoning for using opensuse?
23:53 wizzyrea or whatever it is you're using
23:53 dcook I'm not really sure
23:54 dcook I think familiarity
23:54 dcook And a few command line tools that aren't in Debian/Ubuntu
23:54 wizzyrea example?
23:54 wahanui i heard example was probably a status change
23:54 * wizzyrea is nosy
23:55 dcook hehe
23:55 dcook I'm not 100% sure
23:55 dcook I think yast is one of them
23:58 wizzyrea i'm sure there is a workable equivalent to that for debian/ubuntu
23:59 dcook Probably :)

| Channels | #koha index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | plain, newest first | summary