IRC log for #koha, 2008-03-05

All times shown according to UTC.

Time S Nick Message
11:00 kados I think an alternative template for could work ... opac-searchresults-rss.tmpl maybe?
11:00 hdl I agree.
11:01 kados I can take this bug
11:01 hdl (+ cgi->header application/rss-xml)
11:01 kados also 1872
11:01 kados is related
11:01 kados I will take both
11:02 hdl yes.
11:02 hdl anyway, fixing 1629 will fix 1872.
11:02 kados yep
11:02 hdl will the results for RSS be the wole set or only the 20 first ?
11:03 hdl next is 1723
11:03 kados RSS will be for whole set
11:04 hdl cool.
11:04 hdl next is 1723.
11:04 kados so is 1723 fixed or not?
11:04 kados hdl: can you test?
11:06 kados in the meantime, I think 1534 is an enhancement request
11:06 hdl works for me.
11:06 hdl can you test ?
11:07 kados hdl: 1723?
11:07 hdl (+ it is only one line to remove : LIMIT 10)
11:07 hdl yes.
11:07 hdl it worked for me.
11:08 kados ok, so 1723 WORKSFORME
11:08 kados hdl: you can update the bug report
11:09 hdl updated
11:09 kados 1785
11:09 hdl 1785
11:10 kados is this a prob for french users too?
11:10 kados I think it's probably an enhancement request at the moment
11:11 hdl I think this could be one. But I agreee. it is rather enhancement.
11:11 kados at least from LibLime POV
11:11 kados ok, I will update it
11:11 hdl next : 1825
11:12 kados yep, it's related to the earlier discussion about holds
11:12 kados I will assign to galen
11:14 hdl btw i have not sent you SAN's requirements for reserves.
11:14 hdl next is 1742
11:14 kados 1742 and 1774 are also related
11:14 kados I will assign to Galen
11:16 hdl bug 1857 then.
11:17 kados I think it's invalid
11:17 kados hmmm, maybe not
11:17 hdl 1833
11:18 kados 1857 should be at least reviewed by paul i think
11:18 kados do you agree?
11:19 hdl Will ask him to have a look.
11:19 kados 1833 is fixed I believe
11:20 kados 1819
11:20 kados 1819 works for me
11:21 kados firefox on OSX
11:22 hdl I will try to make it out.
11:22 frederic kados: I didn't receive your email. Sorry. Alternative email: Thks.
11:22 hdl 1799
11:23 kados 1799 works for me in the OPAC
11:23 kados frederic: ok, I'll send there
11:23 hdl maybe we should just port opac's code to staff client.
11:23 kados hdl: and in the staff client
11:24 hdl OK fine then.
11:24 kados hdl:  so we can close it
11:24 hdl closed.
11:25 hdl bug 1804 : I take it.
11:25 hdl 1874
11:26 kados 1805 -> I get a 500 error in staff client
11:26 kados oops, 1804 I mean
11:27 kados 1874 ... it should be Joe
11:28 kados 1871 I marked as duplicate of 1629
11:28 hdl OK.
11:29 kados 1875
11:29 hdl is 1875 OK now ?
11:29 kados also for joe
11:30 hdl not for me.
11:30 kados nope
11:30 kados not fixed
11:30 kados but joe can fix I think
11:30 kados 1573?
11:31 kados 1573 is a real big prob IMO
11:31 kados I think severity should be increased
11:32 kados clean patrons I think it requires a patron to have checked out something at least once
11:32 kados or else it doesn't run?
11:32 frederic kados: I get your email. It doesn't tell me why my patch wasn't apply and what to do to get it accepted...
11:32 kados anyway, that script needs to be audited
11:32 hdl Ok. assinging to me
11:33 hdl 1879 : suggestions
11:34 kados frederic: you're right, I sent the wrong email ... check now
11:34 hdl I can take it.
11:34 frederic ok :) Thanks. I read it.
11:34 kados OK
11:34 kados hdl: 1880 too?
11:35 hdl 1879 is rather enhancement than a bug is it ?
11:36 hdl 1880 too.
11:36 kados probably
11:36 kados from LL POV, yes
11:36 kados but it's a surprising behavior to not have edit capabilities
11:37 kados 1372 is fixed
11:37 kados 1816 is duplicate of an earlier one we closed
11:37 kados so it can be closed
11:38 kados 1448 is poorly implemented IMO
11:38 kados and probably should not be included in 3.0
11:38 kados (subject cloud I mean)
11:38 hdl marking it wont fix ?
11:38 kados it's an 'experimental' feature at best
11:38 kados I think enhancement is OK
11:39 kados change priority to P3 too, since no patch is pending
11:40 hdl 1337 ?
11:40 kados 1343 and 1337 are duplicates, 1337 should be retained
11:40 kados so mark 1343 as duplicate I think
11:41 kados I think it's an enhancement also
11:41 kados I know LL doesn't have resources to add features to Z-client built into old MARC editor
11:42 kados 1322 is also an enhancement
11:42 kados 1305 is an enhancement too
11:43 kados 1105 needs higher priority IMO and some testing, can you take it?
11:44 hdl yes.
11:44 kados in fact, 1105 raises a big issue about french vs us way to do acqui IIRC
11:44 kados ryan has details
11:45 kados 1517 is an enhancement I think
11:45 kados but an importnat one
11:45 kados not for 3.0 though I think
11:46 kados 1542 is a problem ... chris cormack wrote that reports stuff, but not sure if he plans to maintain it
11:47 kados hdl: I must leave in 15 minutes
11:47 hdl We should have someone for maintaining and improving the stuff.
11:47 hdl anyway we have ran through all major bugs.
11:48 kados yep
11:48 kados I suspect that there are some 'normal' that should be marked major
11:48 kados but I will investigate before the next bug meeting
11:48 hdl Maybe.
11:48 kados hdl: thanks for organizing this, we made some progress
11:48 hdl I will too.
11:49 hdl you're welcome.
11:49 hdl a pity no other folks came in.
11:49 kados well, it's pretty early in the US :-)
11:49 hdl But it was too early for you.
11:49 hdl yeah.
11:49 kados and very late in NZ :-)
11:49 hdl next time wil be better.
11:49 kados next one will likely be more attended
11:50 kados in fact, Joe Atzberger thought you had today's meeting scheduld for 5pm EST
11:50 lloyd_ someone is  on the war path with bugzilla
11:50 kados rather than 5am
11:50 kados hey lloyd_
11:50 kados lloyd_: we just had a bugfix meeting
11:50 lloyd_ what on earth are you doing here.. you don't get here for another 4 hours normally lol
11:50 kados lloyd_: well, it's about 6:50am
11:51 kados I'm normally up by now, but not usually on IRC :-)
11:51 lloyd_ hehehe
11:51 kados anyway, /me has to head out for a while
11:51 kados I'll bbiab
11:51 lloyd_ I need to chat with you soonish, you around later today?
11:51 kados time for some coffee :-)
11:51 kados lloyd_: sure
11:52 lloyd_ gimme a shout when you're free ;)
11:52 kados will do
12:36 fbcit sorry I could not make it this time hdl
14:17 ccatalfo owen, I think your yui reset.css is going to do the trick for embedding biblios into koha-- thanks!
14:17 owen Excellent
14:17 paul hello ccatalfo & owen
14:18 owen I see I missed the bug-squashing meeting. I guess a lot of folks did :)
14:18 paul 'morning to you.
14:18 gmcharlt hi paul, owen, ccatalfo
14:18 paul hello gmcharlt
14:18 paul owen, will you vote today ?
14:18 gmcharlt owen: yeah, I was confused about the time
14:18 paul (news speak of this day as "mini-tuesday", very important for hilary)
14:18 owen In the rain, even. It /always/ rains on election day here.
14:19 paul what's the diff between a caucus & a primary ?
14:19 owen I'm not exactly sure myself, because I've never voted in a state that uses caucuses.
14:20 gmcharlt paul: primary = just an election, basically
14:20 gmcharlt caucus = (and I don't know all of the details myself) means a bunch of registered party members meeting in each district
14:20 paul who can vote ? any one or only ppl members of the democrat/republican ?
14:20 owen It varies from state to state
14:20 owen In some states, you have to be registered Democrat to vote in the Democratic primary
14:20 gmcharlt paul: it depends.  some states have open primaries, where a voters can pick (usually just one of) any party's ballot and vote on that
14:21 gmcharlt others have closed primaries, where you can vote only for the ballot of the party you're registered for
14:21 gmcharlt in closed primary states, you're generally better off registering a party, otherwise you don't get to vote until the general election
14:22 gmcharlt for caucuses, at each meeting the voters come in initially for one candidate or another, then a complicated dance takes place and eventually each caucus ends up supporting a particular candidate
14:22 gmcharlt I'm fuzzy about the details, though :(
14:37 hdl sorry guys for I induced you in time problems.
14:37 hdl Next time will be better I hope.
14:39 gmcharlt hdl: no worries -- and besides, it looks like you and kados made a lot of progress
14:40 paul at least, they have generated a lot of mail traffic from ;)
14:40 hdl still there is a lot of work.
14:41 hdl And many things relies on you gmcharlt (at least for reserve stuff)
14:41 gmcharlt hdl: yep, I noticed that :)
14:42 gmcharlt should have time to work on those this week, but because of a trip I'm taking to California Wednesday and Thursday, I won't be 100% coding until next week
14:42 hdl gmcharlt: many ppl at code4lib were wondering where your accent comes from. May I ask you ?
14:43 gmcharlt hdl: sure, but why don't you make a guess first -- I'm curious what a French-speaker's guess would be
14:43 hdl I was thinking about Ireland or Scotland maybe....
14:44 hdl But I am not good at guessing accents.
14:44 gmcharlt hdl: thanks.  and to answer your question, I was born and raised near Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, which is in the southeast of the state (also has a lot of Amish living there).  But my accent itself is just a personal idiosyncrasy -- nobody else in my family has it :)
14:45 hdl (I had some friends of mine who came from Mauricius and their accent was quite Canadian accent to me.)
14:45 hdl gmcharlt: you are welcome.
14:46 hdl gmcharlt: thx for this information.
14:46 gmcharlt hdl: you're welcome
14:47 gmcharlt hdl: I'm doing a little research about how non-English languages are searched in catalogs.  In France, would somebody (i.e., an average library user) typically enter the diacritics in the search box when searching for a known title -- or would they typically leave them off
14:48 hdl gmcharlt: it all depends on what kind of users you are thinking of.
14:49 gmcharlt hdl: ok, so let's name three categories: (1) typical public library user (2) undergraduate student (3) professor or graduate student
14:49 hdl gmcharlt: typically : 1 users will use diacritics, and 2 or 3 will not unless they get the title from internet and copy paste.
14:50 hdl paul : a comment on this ?
14:50 hdl osmoze maybe ?
14:50 gmcharlt hdl: thanks (and for 2 & 3, they drop the diacritics because they've been "trained" to not expect them to work in many databases?)
14:51 hdl gmcharlt: exactly.
14:51 owen Hunh, just like new users might be very careful about capitalization
14:51 hdl and because some of their keyboards are not azerty's ones. So you go to the point.
14:52 gmcharlt reason I'm asking is that the Chicago public library just switched systems today ( there are a lot of languages present in CPL's holdings, and at the moment, while display of non-English seems generally OK, searching is rather hit-or-miss
14:52 paul gmcharlt: I think it depends on the age of the patron.
14:53 gmcharlt e.g., you can search on Koren transliterated to Roman characters if you include the diacritics, but you can't search on transliterated Korean sans diacritics or on Korean characters
14:55 gmcharlt whereas for French and Spanish you can do your search with or without diacritics
14:55 hdl is chipublib on Koha ?
14:56 gmcharlt hdl: no, it's a combination of TLC's CARL X and Endeca
15:05 hdl kados : Is there a test box where I could test bugs ? staff-jmf.?????
15:07 gmcharlt hi fbcit
15:07 fbcit hi gmcharlt
15:07 fbcit I was reading back about your Lancaster County origins
15:07 gmcharlt owen++ # the bib view changes for the OPAC
15:08 owen Thanks, I'm glad you like it
15:08 fbcit gmcharlt: when my people came over from Switzerland ~1740, they moved into Lancaster
15:08 gmcharlt fbcit: interesting. what part of Switzerland?  and was there any particular reason for the move?
15:09 gmcharlt owen: a couple things could be made more consistent, IMO - in MARC view, the place hold button is at the top, not in a box at the right
15:10 owen Yes, that's because at the moment the MARC data is all in one big table, so there's no place for the floating box you see in Normal and ISBD views
15:10 gmcharlt owen: also, in normal ISBD view, the text of the normal view and MARC view links are in brackets for some reason
15:10 owen Oh, that's a mistake on my part
15:16 hdl gang !! I am having a "dirty Index" with git.
15:16 hdl Is there something I shoul do to fixit up ?
15:17 fbcit hdl: me to
15:18 hdl So that's three of us.
15:18 owen I got that a couple days ago
15:18 fbcit git reset --hard HEAD && git rebase origin
15:18 fbcit fixed it
15:18 hdl Paul is having problems.
15:18 fbcit mine was a bad css in jquery subdir
15:18 paul mine too
15:19 owen well, that sounds like my fault. How was it bad?
15:20 paul owen : we don't know. We just get a "dirty index" when rebasing
15:20 fbcit owen: not sure here either, except the file did not exist locally or in the main repo
15:20 fbcit when I looked at the contents, it looked about half finished
15:22 fbcit and it has disappeared from my 5000 line buffer :(
15:24 gmcharlt odd. I haven't had any problems rebasing, which I do at least once every day
15:24 gmcharlt but it does sound like the problems are stemming from this commit[…]a25899dc466f30a52
15:24 gmcharlt not that there's a problem with the commit itself
15:25 gmcharlt but that somehow the file deletion caused an issue
15:28 fbcit clickmenu.css is the culprit
15:28 hdl for me too.
15:28 fbcit it was on mine at least
15:29 hdl file deletion or directory renaming seems to make problems sometimes.
15:29 fbcit I wonder if it has to do with this: \ No newline at end of file
15:32 hdl gmcharlt: C4::Items was deleted ?
15:33 gmcharlt hdl: I sincerely hope not. :)  why are you asking?
15:33 hdl My text editor told me this file was deleted by a third party software.
15:33 hdl But git is having it.
15:34 paul hdl : this sometimes happends when a rebase fails.
15:34 paul as rebase :
15:34 paul - update the files to reflect the origin of your rebase
15:34 paul - replays all commits
15:34 paul so you may have files disappearing/reappearing
15:34 fbcit hrm
15:35 fbcit is in sync with the repo?
15:35 fbcit but I do not see it @
15:36 gmcharlt fbcit: you're right, it is out of sync
15:36 fbcit and its not even Monday ;-)
15:36 gmcharlt missing 7 or 8 patches
15:51 fbcit does Koha 3.0 *require* cookies to run?
15:52 fbcit or is that considered bad practice?
15:55 hdl fbcit: yes cookies are required.
15:56 fbcit hdl: is there anything particular I should consider or be aware of when passing vars using a cookie?
16:10 hdl fbcit: Nothing special I know of.
17:08 fbcit it looks to me like output_html_with_http_headers is only setup to handle a single cookie
17:09 fbcit I'm afraid things will break badly if I modify it to handle multiple cookies given the current usage
17:09 fbcit any thoughts to the contrary?
17:11 atz fbcit: you can just add fields to the current cookie
17:12 gmcharlt fbcit: another possibility is to put it into the CGI::Session session (which ultimately persists it by storing the data in the sessions table)
17:12 gmcharlt see C4/, for instance, or much of C4::Auth
17:16 atz of course the session ID itself is passed via cookie
17:17 gmcharlt atz: yep, just not any session data itself
17:18 fbcit so the user env is really kept in the session table?
17:18 atz no
17:19 atz the userenv is assembled by Context
17:19 gmcharlt yes
17:19 gmcharlt :)
17:19 gmcharlt at least, some of it is persisted there
17:19 atz maybe what you mean by user env
17:19 gmcharlt like the user's branch selection
17:20 fbcit maybe an explanation will help qualify this a bit more:
17:21 atz it helped me to just dump some rows out of the sessions table
17:23 atz what I regard as the whole user env includes all the stuff set by Auth (considerably more than we want to stuff in the sessions table, for performance reasons)
17:25 fbcit ok, well I think this discussion has proven to me that I really just need to refactor into a set of functions rather than a separate script
17:26 fbcit no use doing it the harder way
17:26 fbcit tnx
17:29 atz gmcharlt: the link on #code4lib made me think of your cats
17:30 gmcharlt atz: heh
17:30 gmcharlt atz: If I tried that, my office would be come a hospital bed
17:32 frederic gmcharlt: hello! Do you have any idea about authority bug #1906 I submited? Anything I can do/try?
17:33 gmcharlt frederic: I did a couple patches yesterday that should help with 1905 and 1906
17:34 gmcharlt they're not showing up on gitweb, but they're there if you fetch and rebase
17:34 frederic YES!
17:34 frederic And thanks.
17:34 gmcharlt let me know if it solves all of issues you reported in those two bugs
17:37 frederic You may help on another point. I try to tweak faceted search to be translatable. To avoid hardcoding, facets labels into, I put them in a JSON external file. But I don't know exactly where to put this file. I was thinking to /etc/koha/zebra/koha-facets.conf. But after that, I don't know how to retrieve path to this file which depend, I suppose, of installation... What would you do?
17:38 gmcharlt frederic: it would be possible have the install process put the path to the conf directory in koha-conf.xml
17:38 gmcharlt but since the translation mechanism currently works on subdirs of koha-tmpl
17:39 gmcharlt would it be possible or reasonable to somehow put that into the staff and OPAC tempalte dirs?
17:40 frederic I understand, but facets could be configurable. A library could decide to add/remove facets. It appears to me to be indepedant of templating system...
17:41 gmcharlt agreed that defs for facets need to be configurable
17:42 gmcharlt but for default facet config, would kind of like the names to be picked up by the existing template system
17:42 gmcharlt but on the other hand
17:42 gmcharlt there are aspects of translations that already don't fall under the HTML templates
17:42 gmcharlt so no big deal
17:43 gmcharlt would it be possible to have the facet config
17:43 gmcharlt be done through an Adminstration interface
17:43 gmcharlt i.e., like branches, call number rules, etc. (I realize it's likely to complicated to be a syspref)
17:44 frederic An so facets would be in DB?
17:44 gmcharlt yeah, at least the defs for what facets to present
17:44 frederic I just send you a facets configuration file to give you an idea of what I'm doing
17:46 gmcharlt got the example -- yeah, that sort of thing could easily live in the database where librarians could change it on the fly
17:46 frederic Is there any chance that faceted search will use any time soon, zebra new 'facets' functionnalities?
17:46 gmcharlt I know kados has tested it and likes what he sees - I don't know if it is ready to be coded to replace the current facet system
17:48 frederic gmcharlt: You think that a syspref would be enough? This king of parameters are not so easy to edit... You can very easily break a json stream...
17:48 frederic /king/kind/
17:49 gmcharlt frederic: no, a syspref wouldn't be enough -- you'd have to create an auxiliary table (e.g., facet_defs)
17:49 gmcharlt and code to allow users to edit entries in it
17:49 gmcharlt of course, as a separate config file, it would still be easy to break the JSON
17:51 gmcharlt frederic: I think the JSON config file could be put in for now
17:51 gmcharlt but ultimately should be replaced
17:52 gmcharlt if you can wrap the use of the JSON in a module or class that can later allow the serialization of the facet defs to be changed later
17:52 gmcharlt that would be ideal
17:56 frederic I agree. Just one question. How would you do to find the pathname to zebradb config file. I see KOHA_CONF environment var but nothing pointing to where all zebra-koha files are stored...
18:00 gmcharlt frederic: it's not there yet -- I can add logic to install to put the KOHA_CONF_DIR and ZEBRA_CONF_DIR values in koha-conf.xml, which will make it accessible from C4::Context
18:00 gmcharlt then code that needs to look for a config file under one of those dirs can try to build the path
21:50 mc hello world
21:51 gmcharlt world says hello back

| Channels | #koha index | Today | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | plain, newest first | summary