IRC log for #koha, 2018-08-07

All times shown according to UTC.

Time S Nick Message
00:59 aleisha joined #koha
02:07 mtj hey #koha, do people think it might be a good idea to start to require a mandatory itemtype for an item?
02:08 mtj ..ive spotted a few edgecase bugs for circ and reserves, that assume an item if have an itemtype defined
02:13 mtj how do people feel about this ūüĒ•ūüĒ•topic?
02:20 mtj looks like items.itype can be set to mandatory via the fwrks, so thats a fix of sorts
02:24 mtj (i confirm its non-mandatory by default)
03:22 Joubu mtj: bug 21150
03:22 huginn Bug http://bugs.koha-community.org[…]_bug.cgi?id=21150 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart, Needs Signoff , Data inconsistencies - item types
03:23 Joubu and thread "Expected behaviour if itemtype does not exist" on koha-devel (July 2017)
03:23 Joubu bye
05:31 calire joined #koha
06:26 papa1 joined #koha
06:36 reiveune joined #koha
06:37 reiveune hello
06:45 laurence joined #koha
06:58 ashimema_ joined #koha
07:02 ashimema_ left #koha
07:12 greenjimll joined #koha
07:26 wizzyrea joined #koha
07:29 fridolin joined #koha
07:30 fridolin iji there
07:41 andreashm joined #koha
07:41 * andreashm waves
07:43 andreashm hi fridolin
07:45 fridolin hi
07:46 ashimema hello
07:49 AndrewIsh joined #koha
08:00 andreashm we are preparing to upgrade to 17.11 next week.
08:01 andreashm we have been testing 17.11.01 during the end of spring. wondering if the best thing would be to upgrade to .01 or go for the latest release (.08?) instead.
08:01 andreashm any big differences we should consider?
08:02 andreashm (fridolin and other who might know?)
08:02 ashimema personally I think you should choose you're feature branch (i.e 17.05.x, 17.11.x or 18.05.x) based on the features you need/want and then try to keep up with the  bugfix releases upon it.. i.e the .01 etc bits.
08:03 fridolin andreashm: yop, no big diff between 17.11.01 and 17.11.08 but some critical fixes
08:03 fridolin I advice you to use the lasted stable release
08:03 ashimema important securit andbugfix patches go into those releases.. but as release maintainers we're careful to not backport features.. we work on 'least surprise' principals.. a point release shouldn't surprise you
08:04 fridolin we at biblibre use the 17.11.06 its quite stable
08:04 ashimema it should just fix stuff that's broken
08:04 fridolin and also translations are better an better ;)
08:04 andreashm alright, we'll look extra at that one!
08:04 ashimema :)
08:04 andreashm thanks ashimema, fridolin!
08:04 fridolin andreashm: but why not jump to 18.05.x ? its nice and you may use ElasticSearch
08:05 ashimema no problem.. you happened to have probably the two best people at present to answer that question lurking here right now ;)
08:05 andreashm ashimema: we've decided for 17.11. Just wanted to make sure we go for a stable bugfix release. =)
08:05 * ashimema would actually recommend sticking to 17.11 unless there's something specific you want in 18.05
08:05 andreashm fridolin: we want to test properly first. we've done that with 17.11. if we go for 18.05 we have to start over.
08:05 ashimema I think although 18.05.x is a nice release, it's still got a bit of settling down to do..
08:06 andreashm (we have some heavy use of api:s, that change a lot between releases etc)
08:06 ashimema gut feeling from how many bugfixes I'm still  pushing ;)
08:06 andreashm hehe
08:07 fridolin okiii, we jump only from xx.11 to yy.11 so we also will wait for 18.11.x
08:07 andreashm we have 16.05 now. So still a big jump to 17.11
08:08 fridolin andreashm: ah we have also some own api code, we work on test suite to be more efficient on testing compatiblity with Koha code
08:08 * ashimema wishes his customer base wasn't so spread out.. we have customers on a realyl wide range of releases at the moment.
08:09 fridolin andreashm: oki, so in conclusion my personal advice is to jump to 17.11.06
08:09 andreashm fridolin: that sounds interesting. we have discussed creating a similar test suite to be able to create a better/quicker upgrade process.
08:09 fridolin our next setp is 17.11.10 in octobre
08:09 andreashm fridolin: thanks a lot!
08:09 fridolin you welcome ;)
08:10 andreashm ashimema: yeah, I guess that's a problem when customers can decide for themselves when to upgrade? =)
08:10 fridolin release maintainer is also community maintainer :D
08:11 andreashm fridolin: the perfect combo
08:11 fridolin ^^
08:15 ashimema I think at this point it's just that we have never managed to get on top of upgrades.. sales always want to install at the very latest and greatest.. some customers want to upgrade, others do not.. but the really big issue is how hard our upgrades are.. most customers have a ton of customisation or pre-release enhancements bolted on.. which makes each upgrade a non-trivial task :(
08:16 ashimema we'll get there in the end I'm sure.. and at present it's us that feels the pain rather than customers really.. they get upgrades pretty frequently really.. just a bit of a spread to support
08:16 * ashimema hopes he can push for a hold on 18.05.x whilst he's community maintainer.. get our entire customer base onto it over the next year or so.
08:17 andreashm ashimema: I sympathize. We have the exact same issue (lots of local patches) that makes upgrading difficult.
08:18 ashimema indeed
08:18 ashimema always fun
08:18 ashimema a library I've heard of andreashm?
08:19 andreashm ashimema: ours? I would hope so. Stockholm Univ Library
08:20 * calire waves
08:20 * andreashm waves back
08:20 ashimema of course.. i thought you'r nick rang a bell ;)
08:20 calire :)
08:22 andreashm ashimema: =9
08:22 andreashm =) I meant.
08:22 ashimema hehe
08:22 tuxayo ashimema[m] ¬ęmost customers have a ton of customisation or pre-release enhancements bolted on¬Ľ
08:22 tuxayo I guess automating part of the process is very difficult for also right?
08:22 ashimema no doubt we'll meet in 2019 kohacon
08:22 tuxayo *for you alos
08:23 tuxayo **also
08:23 tuxayo ><
08:23 ashimema some is automated, some is not ;)
08:23 ashimema I don't know the solution to be honest.. everyone here likes customisation to the hilt
08:25 * ashimema just looked at the number of upgrade in the queue and scared himself.. that's not my area anymore.. I managed to make the case for new staff for it a few years back and have never really looked back.. managing the dev team, doing development and getting back on top of my community roles is more than enough work for one person ;)
08:27 ashimema 'tis nice being back in community though.. I've missed it the past couple of years.
08:27 tuxayo <3
08:31 andreashm ashimema: yup! had hope to meet you at kohacon this year, but saw that you weren't attending. but next year for sure!
08:31 ashimema too many family commitments this year unfortunately.. can't make them all I suppose.. I did a fair few early on but it's been more sporadic of late
08:32 * calire is looking forward to kohacon
08:32 * andreashm too
08:38 ashimema having looked at the schedule, this one does look a particularly good and interesting one.
08:40 * andreashm is looking forward to meeting a lot of people from the community in person.
08:46 * calire too
08:46 calire well I've met some :) but more
08:47 andreashm calire: same here =)
09:01 tuxayo joined #koha
09:07 ashimema joined #koha
09:07 tchabo joined #koha
09:07 d_antonakis joined #koha
09:13 tchabo_ joined #koha
09:29 * magnuse wishes he could go to kohacon18, but will ne in marseille and has high hopes for kohacon19 in sweden
09:29 magnuse (if marseille will have us again)
09:30 * ashimema wonders when marseille is next..
09:30 * ashimema hopes to attend that
09:37 tchabo___ joined #koha
10:11 gaetan_B joined #koha
10:11 gaetan_B left #koha
10:28 tcohen @later tell Joubu https://old.diglib.org/archite[…]Discovery_1.0.pdf
10:28 huginn tcohen: The operation succeeded.
10:42 Dyrcona joined #koha
10:50 Dyrcona1 joined #koha
10:53 sen_ joined #koha
10:53 Dyrcona joined #koha
10:56 andreashm joined #koha
10:59 tcohen joined #koha
10:59 barton joined #koha
10:59 blou joined #koha
10:59 papa joined #koha
10:59 gmcharlt joined #koha
10:59 rangi joined #koha
10:59 huginn joined #koha
11:02 ncbaratta joined #koha
11:11 Dyrcona joined #koha
11:41 oleonard joined #koha
11:42 oleonard-away Hello
11:42 andreashm hi oleonard
11:43 calire hi oleonard
11:43 calire wahanui?
11:43 laurence joined #koha
11:44 eythian hi oleopard
11:44 calire nice save eythian
11:45 eythian they'll remember my support when the robots take over the world.
11:45 calire :)
11:50 eythian huginn: I expect you to pass this along
11:50 huginn eythian: I suck
11:50 eythian damnit
11:52 calire poor huginn
11:56 oleonard calire: His self-deprecating demeanor is a ruse to lull us into complacency.
12:02 * calire fell for it
12:04 * oleonard is so complacent right now
12:05 * calire is the most complacent
12:05 * calire hopes the robots are taking note
13:03 calire joined #koha
13:23 oleonard Joubu: Bug 21150 doesn't apply for me. I did apply the dependency first.
13:23 huginn Bug http://bugs.koha-community.org[…]_bug.cgi?id=21150 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart, Needs Signoff , Data inconsistencies - item types
13:25 Joubu oleonard: one dep was wrong, it should be ok now
13:25 oleonard Thanks
13:26 kmlussier joined #koha
13:30 tcohen morning #koha
13:30 tcohen hi oleonard
13:30 eythian @wunder amsterdam
13:30 huginn eythian: Amsterdam, Netherlands :: Clear :: 91F/33C | Heat Index: 90F/32C | Tuesday: Sunny. Very hot. High 94F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph. Tuesday Night: Partial cloudiness early, with scattered showers and thunderstorms overnight. Low 68F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.
13:30 eythian D:
13:30 oleonard @wunder 45701
13:30 huginn oleonard: Athens, OH :: Scattered Clouds :: 74F/23C | Tuesday: Partly cloudy with afternoon showers or thunderstorms. Storms may contain strong gusty winds. High 87F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%. Tuesday Night: Scattered thunderstorms early, then mainly cloudy overnight with thunderstorms likely. Low 69F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 80%.
13:45 killer_bee[m] joined #koha
13:45 davidnind[m] joined #koha
13:45 valterbarreira[m] joined #koha
13:46 calire left #koha
13:47 ashimema @wunder, Stevenage, United Kingdom
13:47 huginn ashimema: I'll give you the answer as soon as RDA is ready
13:49 laurence left #koha
13:50 magnuse @wunder bodo, norway
13:50 huginn magnuse: Bodo, Norway :: Partly Cloudy :: 61F/16C | Tuesday: Partly cloudy. High 62F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph. Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy skies. Low near 55F. Winds E at 10 to 15 mph.
13:50 * magnuse is pretty happy with that
13:51 ashimema @wunder Stevenage, United Kingdom
13:51 huginn ashimema: Stevenage, United Kingdom :: Clear :: 86F/30C | Heat Index: 84F/29C | Tuesday: Partly cloudy. Very hot. High 89F. Winds WSW at 10 to 15 mph. Tuesday Night: Rain showers this evening with clearing overnight. Low 58F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
13:53 * magnuse wanders off to put the redfish in the oven
13:54 oleonard Amsterdam and Stevenage get specific: Very hot. Athens and Bodo don't really know *how* hot it is.
13:54 Joubu @wunder Buenos Aires, Argentina
13:54 huginn Joubu: Buenos Aires, Argentina :: Clear :: 55F/13C | Tuesday: Partly cloudy. High 64F. Winds NNE at 10 to 15 mph. Tuesday Night: Rain. Low near 50F. Winds NW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 100%. Rainfall near a quarter of an inch.
13:58 Joubu query ashimema Hi Martin, do you think you will have time to have a look at bug 20443?
13:58 huginn Bug http://bugs.koha-community.org[…]_bug.cgi?id=20443 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart, In Discussion , Move C4::Members::Attributes to Koha namespace
14:02 ashimema Er.. I think I've already started looking but got pulled away.. I'll get back to it for a couple of hours this afternoon.. it's a biggy ūüėÄ
14:03 tcohen @wunder Cordoba, Argentina
14:03 huginn tcohen: Cordoba, Argentina :: Scattered Clouds :: 60F/16C | Tuesday: Becoming windy with showers likely this afternoon. High 78F. NNE winds shifting to SSE at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 40%. Tuesday Night: Cloudy early, becoming mostly clear after midnight. Low 42F. Winds SSW at 15 to 25 mph.
14:04 Joubu heh / was missing
14:04 Joubu Also smileys were missing in my answer to the i-card thread...
14:04 * Joubu is missing everything today
14:05 Joubu s/ today//
14:05 *¬†ashimema thinks his brain is melting again.. it's at leat 10‚ĄÉ above that in my office..
14:05 ashimema lol
14:07 eythian ashimema: yeah, it's 29¬į in my apartment at the moment. Debating taking a book to a park or a pub or canalside or something after work.
14:09 ashimema it's just hit 44.5‚ĄÉ in my office ;)
14:09 ashimema 32‚ĄÉ outside if my thermometers are to be believed
14:09 ashimema I can only sit in my office for a matter of minutes in front of the fans at the moment before I have to retreat to cooler rooms ;)
14:09 eythian yeah, that's a bit much.
14:10 * ashimema is heading to holland in a few weeks time.. not near amsterdam though
14:10 eythian ah, wat jammer
14:11 eythian wait, all of holland is near amsterdam
14:11 eythian have you seen how small this country is?
14:12 ashimema haha.. very true
14:12 ashimema about 2h30 away from you then.. but with family in toe ;)
14:13 ashimema Maastricht
14:13 eythian oh right
14:13 eythian roughly as far away as you can get.
14:13 ashimema yup
14:32 Joubu kidclamp: it seems that you forgot to add the new devs to the about page (and history.txt)
14:35 Joubu @later tell kidclamp it seems that you forgot to add the new devs to the about page (and history.txt)
14:35 huginn Joubu: The operation succeeded.
14:42 kidclamp grah
14:56 * ashimema hopes his githook is catching backported new authors as it's supposed to
14:56 ashimema don't think there have been any so far
15:16 reiveune bye
15:16 reiveune left #koha
15:30 caroline joined #koha
15:30 caroline Hello everyone!
15:38 oleonard Hi caroline
15:47 cait joined #koha
15:51 fridolin left #koha
16:03 * cait waves
16:04 oleonard Hi cait
16:04 caroline Hi cait !
16:04 caroline I thought you were on vacation
16:09 cait i am :)
16:09 cait thx for signing my monstrous patch, oleonard++
16:20 cait joined #koha
17:02 caroline joined #koha
18:36 LowVoltage joined #koha
18:39 LowVoltage joined #koha
18:40 caroline Does anyone know why Koha uses 952 for holdings instead of 852 in MARC21?
18:41 oleonard Asking to know that before you've survived the initiation ceremony is a little presumptuous caroline
18:42 caroline oops sorry! ;) I'll wait until Sept 12 to ask again
18:43 caroline But it would save me and my team a whole lot of headaches when migrating databases from other systems
18:43 oleonard I don't remember exactly but I think it's because 9XX are local use?
18:44 caroline yes, 9XX are local use, but MARC21 already has a field for holdings, why create another one
18:46 caroline But I'm sure when they decided to do that, they had a good reason. I was just wondering what that good reason was
18:49 Joubu https://wiki.koha-community.or[…]data_fields_(9xx)
18:49 Joubu "Koha does not use MARC21 field 852 directly and many proprietary systems seem to use 852 slightly differently so you need to check it anyway."
18:49 Joubu my interpretation would be "it's as it, do not ask more" :D
18:50 caroline hehe!
18:52 tcohen it is probably due to historical issues, and the fact that Koha also supports other MARC flavours
18:54 caroline It's too bad we're out of France's time zone, because I'm pretty sure I remember them telling me they don't use 952 in Koha in UNIMARC
18:55 tcohen indeed
18:58 LowVoltage joined #koha
18:59 caroline next meetings?
18:59 caroline next meeting?
18:59 caroline :/
19:01 oleonard https://wiki.koha-community.or[…]ing_8_August_2018
19:01 caroline thx!
19:01 caroline isn't there a command for wahanui ?
19:02 oleonard He can't hear you from the chair on the beach where he is
19:03 caroline good for him! He needs a vacation, he's so grumpy sometimes
19:10 LowVoltage joined #koha
19:12 ashimema Lol
19:23 oleonard Bye all
19:46 Dyrcona joined #koha
20:24 alexbuckley joined #koha
20:28 rangi morning
20:28 caroline Good morning!
20:33 dj joined #koha
20:33 BobB joined #koha
20:34 irma joined #koha
20:36 kathryn joined #koha
20:38 dj_ joined #koha
20:38 BobB joined #koha
20:40 dj_ joined #koha
20:40 irma joined #koha
20:40 BobB joined #koha
20:40 cait joined #koha
20:42 irma joined #koha
20:42 BobB joined #koha
20:55 dj joined #koha
20:55 irma joined #koha
20:56 BobB joined #koha
21:02 dj joined #koha
21:02 irma joined #koha
21:10 lukeG joined #koha
21:21 dj joined #koha
21:21 irma joined #koha
21:22 BobB joined #koha
21:36 swift101 joined #koha
21:37 swift101 How do I enable HTML display on the left side of the staff client?
21:38 swift101 I'm using version 17.11
21:39 cait do you mean the news?
21:39 cait you can display news entries on the left side of the staff client start page
21:39 cait tools - news - new entry - look at the interface pull down
21:40 swift101 mmm.. I'm also trying to run a script from this url http://blog.l2c2.co.in/index.p[…]oha-staff-client/
21:40 swift101 for displaying unique titles
21:42 cait that should work with your version
21:42 cait try adding a news entry first
21:43 cait that might make the necessary structure on thepage appear, that the script needs
21:44 swift101 it worked. Thanks cait.
21:45 cait cool, happy to help
22:01 caroline Good night everyone!
22:23 swiftt joined #koha
22:27 swiftt joined #koha
22:39 lukeG joined #koha
23:50 indradg joined #koha

| Channels | #koha index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | plain, newest first | summary