IRC log for #koha, 2012-09-27

All times shown according to UTC.

Time S Nick Message
00:02 eythian purldoc test
00:02 wahanui No matches for keyphrase 'test' found.
00:02 eythian purldoc splice
00:02 wahanui No matches for keyphrase 'splice' found.
00:02 eythian purldoc Modern::Perl
00:02 wahanui 'Modern::Perl' isn't a good purldoc search string.
00:02 eythian hmm
00:05 eythian purldoc all
00:06 * eythian gives up
00:09 melia left #koha
01:41 kathryn joined #koha
02:44 tcohen joined #koha
03:04 mtompset joined #koha
03:05 mtompset Greetings, #koha.
03:34 eythian @later tell druthb apparently unicorn can't do XML for the charges report. Text parsing it is.
03:34 huginn eythian: The operation succeeded.
04:00 BobB joined #koha
04:26 bartsimpson joined #koha
04:27 jorgia joined #koha
04:27 bartsimpson hi
04:27 wahanui hola, bartsimpson
04:27 rangi[…]a-landmark-roles/
04:52 mtompset You have to love errors which aren't even in the modules/programs listed in error log message.
05:04 jcamins_away mtompset: the two calls are equivalent, except that your proposal would mangle any arguments that are passed in.
05:05 mtompset :: mangles.
05:05 mtompset That's what I tracked down my unexplainable error last night.
05:06 mtompset I'm just about to double check it.
05:06 mtompset Because I changed line 1797 of
05:07 mtompset To hopefully solve my renewal error log entry.
05:07 rangi :: most certainly does not mangle
05:07 mtompset Then why am I getting an error log entry when I renew?
05:08 mtompset And why did my warns log otherwise?
05:08 rangi no idea but its not caused by that
05:08 eythian well, differences between :: and -> can be confusing if you're not expecing them
05:08 mtompset And frankly, if there is a use statement... why not just leave the blah::blah part off?
05:09 sophie_m joined #koha
05:09 eythian because things aren't always imported into your scope
05:09 rangi mtompset: did you read the bug report?
05:09 eythian in fact, generally it's better they aren't
05:09 rangi the problem is that precisely that it isnt in scope
05:09 rangi by fixing it in one place, ron discovered it needs to be fixed in another too
05:12 mtompset Well, changing :: to -> on line 1797 of, my error log entry went away.
05:12 rangi it will
05:12 rangi because the first argument is now $self
05:13 mtompset Exactly.
05:13 rangi so you will be trying to do SELECT itemnumber FROM items WHERE items.barcode=SOME PERL OBJECT
05:13 rangi not right
05:13 rangi instead of barcode
05:13 rangi my ($barcode) = @_;
05:13 rangi see
05:14 rangi it will quieten your warn
05:14 rangi because it always has a value
05:14 rangi its just always wrong
05:14 jcamins_away It might be ... WHERE items.barcode='C4::Whatever'
05:15 jcamins_away Depends if it's instantiated.
05:15 jcamins_away But definitely wrong either way.
05:15 rangi true, it wont be an actual object, there is no bless/new
05:15 mtompset Right... it wasn't the same problem as what I was encountering. Okay. My bad.
05:15 rangi but yeah, wont be a barcode ever
05:16 mtompset Keeping scoping and context in mind is a messy thing if you aren't careful!
05:17 rangi yup
05:20 mtompset Have any bug reports covered fixing line 1797 of I always have a hard time searching for duplicates.
05:33 cait joined #koha
05:36 cait good morning #koha
05:37 eythian hi cait
05:37 cait hi eythian
05:37 mtompset Greetings, cait.
05:37 mtompset By the way, thanks for the enlightenment, rangi jcamins_away and eythian.
05:45 * magnuse waves
06:01 mtompset Greetings, magnuse.
06:03 magnuse hiya mtompset
06:03 magnuse wassup?
06:03 mtompset Just looking to see if my recent bug discovery exists in 3.8.x and master now. :)
06:04 * magnuse cheers mtompset on
06:04 mtompset I'm not sure if it would even co-relate with debarring users on return.
06:04 mtompset But it is in a routine with a name that sounds like it could. :)
06:05 magnuse your patrons are getting debarred when they return something?
06:05 mtompset not that I know of.
06:05 magnuse ah
06:05 mtompset Sometimes communication isn't flowing as much as I'd like.
06:05 magnuse i misunderstood you then :-)
06:05 mtompset I'm working remotely. :)
06:06 mtompset No, you probably understood me.
06:06 mtompset I just don't know if it is related or not.
06:06 mtompset sub _debar_user_on_return
06:06 mtompset sounds like it could be though.
06:07 mtompset Yes, 1797 in 3.8.x
06:09 mtompset (that's the line number in
06:10 mtompset Yes, 1984 in master.
06:11 laurence joined #koha
06:11 magnuse danielg++ for the newsletter
06:11 magnuse @seen danielg
06:11 huginn magnuse: danielg was last seen in #koha 1 year, 45 weeks, 3 days, 11 hours, 38 minutes, and 6 seconds ago: <danielg> lucky you! i'm in day 11. longest cold i've ever had
06:12 mtompset wow!
06:12 mtompset bug 8834
06:12 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=8834 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, koha-bugs, NEW , Call to C4::Context::preference fails to pass $self in
06:20 laurence joined #koha
06:27 magnuse mtompset: you have of course seen bug 8251?
06:27 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=8251 critical, P1 - high, ---, colin.campbell, Pushed to Stable , Patrons are systematically debarred at checkin
06:27 mtompset Yes, which is why I mentioned users debarred.
06:27 mtompset The patch will likely mess up mine. ;)
06:27 magnuse ok, just checking ;-)
06:28 mtompset I'll put a comment on 8251, seeing as bug 5335 messed up a tiny patch I did (making it obsolete)
06:28 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=5335 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart, Pushed to Master , More granular VAT
06:39 alex_a bonjour
06:39 wahanui hola, alex_a
06:39 mtompset Actually... based on the comments... I think 8251 already is through on 3.8.x and master, magnuse.
06:40 mtompset so my bug 8834 should be good to go.
06:40 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=8834 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, mtompset, Needs Signoff , Call to C4::Context::preference fails to pass $self in
06:41 mtompset bonjour, alex_a
06:42 alex_a bonjour mtompset
06:42 reiveune joined #koha
06:43 reiveune hello
06:43 wahanui bonjour, reiveune
06:46 mtompset Greetings, reiveune.
06:47 mtompset Anyone have a plakified system set up?
06:47 magnuse huh, i can't save a new circulation and fine rule in 3.8.5?
06:48 marcelr joined #koha
06:48 marcelr hello #koha
06:48 mtompset Greetings, marcelr
06:48 marcelr hi mtompset
06:50 cait left #koha
06:59 asaurat joined #koha
07:02 julian_m joined #koha
07:03 julian_m hello
07:11 WaqarAzeem joined #koha
07:11 mtompset okay, this is weird.
07:11 mtompset I just blew away all my branches except one.
07:12 mtompset I did a git reset --hard origin/3.8.x
07:12 mtompset then a git pull
07:12 mtompset twice.
07:12 mtompset but when I check out a new branch... it lists a whole bunch of files!
07:12 mtompset (not being tracked)
07:13 Oak joined #koha
07:13 * Oak waves
07:14 mtompset Greetings, Oak!
07:14 Oak hello mtompset :)
07:14 Oak magnuse
07:15 mtompset Ah... nevermind... I forgot origin/ DOH!
07:15 kohakhan joined #koha
07:17 magnuse Oak!
07:20 mtompset Nope... even with origin/3.8.x ... *sigh* I don't even know about bug 4248 is about, let alone touching that file.
07:20 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=4248 normal, PATCH-Sent (DO NOT USE), ---, colin.campbell, RESOLVED FIXED, Cities Town Pull Down Missing Zip
07:20 mtompset I mean 4246.
07:20 mtompset bug 4246
07:20 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=4246 enhancement, P4, ---, koha.sekjal, Pushed to Master , Koha support for Itiva Talking Tech phone notification service
07:23 gaetan_B joined #koha
07:26 gaetan_B1 joined #koha
07:29 kf joined #koha
07:29 kf good morning #koha
07:29 kf dcook++
07:32 mtompset I'm just going to ignore all these untracked files on 3.8.x, because I can't see how any of those were caused by me.
07:33 mtompset kf, what did dcook do?
07:33 mtompset Good morning, kf. :)
07:34 kf nice comments in bugzilla
07:34 kf and meh for 8832
07:34 kf bug 5335 is guilty I think
07:34 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=5335 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, jonathan.druart, Pushed to Master , More granular VAT
07:37 kf adn good morning mtompset
07:37 kf sorry, still a bit slow this mornign
07:43 mtompset That's okay. We all have slow days.
07:43 mtompset I did make a comment on 8832. ;)
07:43 marcelr @later tell jcamins any patch already on its way for Did you mean: HASH(0x3ee0ef8) ?
07:43 magnuse gah, 93 bugs need signoff, and no time for testing...
07:43 huginn marcelr: The operation succeeded.
07:44 kf marcelr: he fixed it various times
07:44 marcelr ok still comes up in master now
07:44 kf marcelr: yeah, it kinda kept creeping back in mysteriously
07:49 kf marcelr: tried finding it - but jcamins_away will know
07:50 marcelr thx will ask
07:50 kf sorry for being confusing :)
07:51 drojf good morning #koha
07:52 kf morning drojf
07:52 drojf hi kf :)
07:55 drojf joined #koha
07:55 drojf joined #koha
07:56 marcelr hi drojf
07:56 drojf hey marcelr :)
08:20 mtompset magnuse, 94? ;)
08:22 mtompset That last one... is bug 8826. ;)
08:22 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=8826 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, mtompset, Needs Signoff , Initialization of hash triggers error log entries.
08:24 magnuse mtompset: better go sign off some other bug then :-)
08:24 mtompset I've never signed off... so I don't know how. :)
08:24 mtompset Ignorance is bliss. :)
08:25 mtompset Not to mention, I have more bugs to get up there.
08:28 sturmtruppen joined #koha
08:56 mtompset One would never think that a single variable has so much code to follow to make sure you haven't changed the behaviour.
08:57 mveron joined #koha
08:57 mveron Hi #Koha
08:59 mtompset Greetings, mveron
09:00 marcelr hallo mveron
09:00 * mveron waves to mtompset and marcelr
09:01 * mtompset grumbles about borrowernumber.
09:03 drojf hi mveron and mtompset
09:04 * mveron waves to drojf
09:04 chris_n` joined #koha
09:06 mtompset Greetings, drojf.
09:06 mtompset Hmmm... can we get a wave started in alphabetic userid order? ;)
09:06 mib_8fx8n5 joined #koha
09:06 mib_8fx8n5 dear sir i cant get my login page in koha
09:10 drojf um. thanks for letting us know i guess? … kids these days have such a short attention span.
09:10 slef mib_8fx8n5: that's nice, dear.
09:10 drojf slef: high five ;)
09:11 mtompset you guys.
09:11 slef drojf: five alive?
09:11 mtompset At least they weren't here when you said that.
09:12 drojf mtompset: that's the point. why come here, state something like that and leave in a minute?
09:13 mtompset True. That was sort of counter productive.
09:14 slef Looked like 3 minutes to me, to be fair.
09:14 slef But 3 minutes before I opened IRC, so meh
09:16 drojf 1:37 according to the timestamps here
09:23 BobB joined #koha
09:25 drojf is it fair to assume that 2 hours would be enough to install koha (packages on debian) with a group of people (including  some without any linux experience)? installing debian would not be a part of the experience, a VM would be provided to people that don't have a debian system ready.
09:31 drojf don't tell me you are not spending your weekends installing koha with newbies for fun? :P
09:34 mtompset I'd give 3, depending on how many people.
09:35 drojf mtompset: yes, i was thinking if 2 sounds somewhat reasonable, i would actually take 3 to be on the safe side.
09:36 mtompset 4 if they have data to bring. ;)
09:36 drojf heh migration is out of the scope of that session ;)
09:39 mtompset good idea. ;)
09:39 mtompset what vm software?
09:51 * mveron added PDF with screenshots regarding usage of Age restriction to Bug 7621  (Questions about it on IRC yesterday)
09:51 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=7621 enhancement, P1 - high, ---, veron, Pushed to Master , Circulation: Match age restriction of title with borrower's age without using categories
09:58 aksahy joined #koha
09:58 aksahy hi
09:58 wahanui hi, aksahy
09:59 aksahy Can anyone tell me the current numbers of Koha  users in india
10:01 magnuse short answer: no
10:11 drojf 1:13 from question to quit. short attention span seems to be contagious
10:12 drojf mtompset: vm would be virtualbox i guess, it's not too complicated and the free (gpl) part would be enough for koha
10:12 mtompset Yes, it does.
10:21 mtompset Yes, it should be.
10:21 mtompset Seems that oleonard noticed the error log entries I was looking into today. bug 8777
10:22 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=8777 normal, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, ASSIGNED , Quiet errors in
10:26 mtompset I'd sign up for the bugs list, but it's so active!
10:28 mtompset Oh, and drojf ... VirtualBox only does bridged adapter well over a wired connection.
10:28 mtompset I purposefully set my VMs with a bridged adapter, a NAT adapter, and a Host-Only adapter.
10:30 drojf mtompset: i had problems with bridged adapter and the wifi in edinburgh so that is something i would have to look into before
10:30 mtompset That is a reason I intentionally do all three.
10:31 mtompset If the bridged adapter isn't working, the NAT should get my internet access.
10:31 mtompset If the bridged adapter isn't working, the Host-Only should let me browse to my VM.
10:34 mtompset I was rather pleased with Debian in that the combination of NAT and Host-Only worked as expect.
10:34 mtompset Under Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, it did not.
10:35 mtompset Ubuntu 12.04, it does.
10:56 WaqarAzeem joined #koha
10:58 kohakhan joined #koha
10:58 kohakhan left #koha
11:01 mtompset Have a good day (24 hour period), #koha.
11:25 nengard joined #koha
11:27 * magnuse waves at nengard
11:27 junis joined #koha
11:27 junis left #koha
11:29 drojf joined #koha
11:32 nengard hiya magnuse!!!
11:32 magnuse yay!
11:37 jwagner joined #koha
11:59 kf nengard: I agree with you - we have to fix the taxes
12:00 nengard :)
12:00 kf nengard: I think kicking out the new behaviour would be best
12:00 nengard agreed
12:00 nengard why replace free text with a pull down?
12:00 nengard I don't understand
12:00 kf and then if we want that, do a well thought out patch that fixes older installations too
12:00 kf to normalize the values maybe?
12:01 kf could have used an authorized value too
12:01 kf I think the problem you had was that you have to enter it decimal
12:01 kf 0.12 for 12%
12:02 kf and 0.07 for 7 - I guess then the pull down would be correct
12:02 kf but I am worried about where we are using the default value right now with this change
12:07 nengard yeah
12:08 nengard okay, I'm going to update the original patch and say we should revert it
12:08 kf I left a comment for paul
12:08 kf maybe give them a chance to fix?
12:09 nengard too late ? but if they can fix it great
12:09 nengard seems like a lot before the feature freeze to fix
12:14 mtompset joined #koha
12:14 kf we are already in the feature freeze
12:15 kf but I think fixing the pull down should not be such a big problem
12:15 kf I am not sure in which other places the new behaviour got introduced - maybe worth a investigation
12:17 nengard it's not just a pull down - it's also showing up when it shouldn't show up, but we'll see what the others say
12:17 mtompset What do you mean showing up when it shouldn't?
12:18 kf nengard: I agree, it might have to get reverted
12:19 kf but I would like to get an opinino from the developer - maybe its really something that slipped in from another development by accident
12:19 kf I think I read documentation about that somewhere (the change in the pref) but obviously not on this bug :(
12:19 nengard mtompset the tax rate fields didn't show if you had gist set to 0 for those who don't charge tax
12:19 nengard now it's more fields to scroll through to get an order in
12:19 kf nengard: that is indeed another bad problem :(
12:19 kf oh
12:20 kf maybe not
12:20 kf have you tried to leave it empty?
12:20 kf default 0 is a different meaning than an empty field I think
12:20 mtompset That is true.
12:20 nengard no, it used to be that 0 disabled it - so when people get upgraded they'll have 0 in there
12:20 nengard but i'll try to emptyit
12:20 kf that got chnaged a while ago I think - because you couldn't have 0% as default
12:21 kf yes, but that caused problems if you wanted 0 to be the default, I think I remember a change to empty for disabling it
12:21 mtompset And the one that you want to be the default, put first. ;)
12:21 nengard blank in the pref still has the field there
12:21 mtompset shoot... they used a define($var) check.
12:22 mtompset instead of just $var./
12:22 mtj nengard,  yeah, a dropdown for a percentage field  is silly
12:22 nengard right
12:22 mtompset well, it has some merit.
12:22 mtompset Prevent's typos.
12:22 nengard why not let us type whatever we want in there
12:23 kf because you might make typos - I think it depends on coutnry again
12:23 kf here there are only a few valid values you would encounter
12:23 mtompset dropdowns are great for preventing typos.
12:23 mtj mtompset, theres a better way to do prevent typos
12:24 mtompset field validation on the syspref? :)
12:25 mtj no, validation on a text field
12:25 mtompset They could have built the dropdown based on a distinct select of values already entered.
12:25 kf this patch had 4 sign offs
12:25 kf and noone noticed it :(
12:25 mtompset Well, was there a testing plan?
12:25 kf so noone tried to change the tax rate on a vendor page
12:25 mtompset I think it lacked one.
12:25 kf mtompset: it's a big patch, there were notes on the wiki
12:26 kf and a testing plan can almost never be everything you test as a tester
12:26 kf becauset hen you will only test what the developer has thought about
12:26 kf and that's exactly the problem
12:26 kf you have to find what he/she forgot
12:26 kf testing plans are good, but it's not enough
12:28 kf especially for changes like this that are central to a whole module
12:28 mtj actually, i havent looked at the patch, so i withdraw my comments :/
12:29 talljoy joined #koha
12:30 ago43 joined #koha
12:30 kf mtj: actually I think it would be good if someone from nz tested this
12:30 mtj and.. switching from a drowndown to a text field, could be a simple follow-up patch
12:30 kf mtj: I think laws/taxes are different?
12:30 mtompset Actually, having the patch is a good idea...
12:30 mtj … rather than asking for a complete revert of this patch
12:30 mtompset Think about how you might order from different states/provinces.
12:30 kf mtj: I think I wondered once that hlt doesn't seem to have to pay the tax? but I might remember wrong and I am not sure it's a general thing
12:31 mtj lol , drowndown?! :)
12:31 kf and I am probably not making much sense today :)
12:33 mtj kf, acqui is an area of koha i dont have much real-world experience in :/
12:34 kf mtj: I understand you :(
12:34 kf it's a difficult thing
12:34 mtj … but HLT would have some good NZ-specific opinions on any problems the feature might have
12:35 mtompset Greetings, jcamins. :)
12:35 kf mtj: I think probably easiest is to wait now
12:35 kf mtj: and see what paul and jonathan say to the problem
12:35 kf if it gets reverted all discussion is moot
12:35 * mtompset smirks and begins to hum, "You can't hurry love. No, just have to wait."
12:36 mtj akaict, the dropdown thing is an 'productivity annoyance', and nothing more?
12:36 mtompset kf, but if it gets reverted, perhaps the problem on a forward basis will still need solving.
12:38 mtompset Well, let's say we had it still just 0 or a number....
12:38 kf yeah, but then we will have lots of time to do something about the specs
12:38 mtompset How would I enter a different value if nothing showed up for the default of 0?
12:38 kf I am all for making this consistent
12:38 kf which at the moement it isn't i think (all the tax formulas used in the different places)
12:39 kf but we have to get it right :(
12:39 kf all things involving money are bad if they go wrong
12:39 kf really bad
12:39 * mtompset nods, "You don't mess up something related to money!"
12:40 kf the problem is, that it's already messed up a bit
12:41 mtompset Actually, wouldn't adding a syspref other than gist for the list be better?
12:41 mtompset Then gist would just be required to be one of the values on the list.
12:42 mtompset And everything would behave as before, because gist is untouched. :)
12:42 mtompset But that would allow for extending the vat form stuffs to be smart about the gist or list.
12:43 mtompset That way the first value of the list doesn't have to be default, because that's an annoying requirement.
12:44 tcohen joined #koha
12:45 mtompset Greetings, tcohen.
12:45 tcohen hi mtompset
12:45 jcamins tcohen: I pushed my apt repo config.
12:46 jcamins @later tell marcelr Yes, the follow-up on 8209 fixes the HASH(0xwhatever).
12:46 huginn jcamins: The operation succeeded.
12:46 tcohen hi jcamins, i'll check it, thanks
12:48 magnuse jcamins: pushed it where?
12:48 jcamins magnuse: release-tools.
12:48 magnuse ah
12:48 jcamins Well, my release-tools repo.
12:49 magnuse jcamins++
12:50 * magnuse will have a look when time permits
12:50 edveal joined #koha
12:51 jcamins joined #koha
12:56 mtj after talking to kf more, i might have to withdrawn my comments on 5335
12:56 mtj … its tricky than i assumed
13:19 libsysguy joined #koha
13:40 trea joined #koha
13:47 kf jcamins++
13:47 kf magnuse: I got the vacation :)
13:47 magnuse w00t!
13:49 jcamins Vacation? Lucky you!
13:55 NateC joined #koha
14:00 tcohen is debian squeeze multi-arch?
14:00 tcohen does anyone have a fresh amd64 debian squeeze to test something?
14:01 tcohen (wont hurt :-D)
14:04 kf jcamins: 3 weeks :)
14:05 maximep joined #koha
14:07 nengard mveron++
14:07 nengard I now understand the age restriction preference and can document it :)
14:08 mveron :-)
14:08 kf mveron++ :)
14:08 mveron koha ++
14:10 magnuse mveron++
14:11 magnuse khall around? have you thought any more about submitting the code for rotating collaections that you mention here?[…]g.cgi?id=7144#c26
14:11 huginn Bug 7144: enhancement, P1 - high, ---, srdjan, Pushed to Master , Floating collection
14:12 magnuse and just for the record: collaections are collections of books and other materials in gaelic
14:12 khall magnuse: it's in Koha, but for some reason it was hidden
14:12 magnuse oh?
14:12 khall look at C4/
14:13 khall Commit 6b88131f80d9841aa6a0df35a4ad881f041beb22 hides them, with no explanation why.
14:14 nengard mveron I might have a follow up page to make the preference a little bit easier to understand
14:15 kf khall: there were security issues I remember
14:15 mveron nengard: That's fine - as long the feature will be in the next release  :-)
14:15 kf khall: the pages were accessible without authentication
14:15 kf and it was only a short time before a big release
14:15 khall is there a bug number or anything? I'd be more than happy to take care of it.
14:15 kf I think it#s probably in the chat logs somewhere why it was done
14:15 nengard mveron the feature is there! Just a string change on my part if that gets a sign off
14:16 kf khall: I think that has been fixed since, there might be more I don't remember - I am sorry
14:16 mveron nengard: Go ahead :-)
14:16 kf maybe look in the chat logs for rotating collections?
14:16 * mveron is called for having coffee...
14:16 wizzyrea oh me I want coffee
14:17 wizzyrea and good morning
14:17 wizzyrea good <time of day>
14:17 mtompset Greetings, wizzyrea.
14:17 mtompset mtj was going to message you or email you.
14:18 * magnuse searches the logs
14:18 wizzyrea he did :)
14:18 wizzyrea all taken care of
14:19 khall bug 6653
14:19 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=6653 critical, PATCH-Sent (DO NOT USE), ---, gmcharlt, RESOLVED FIXED, [security] Rotating collections pages can be accessed without being logged in
14:21 magnuse that seems to have fixed the issue with non-loged in access
14:23 magnuse accessing /cgi-bin/koha/rotating_collec​tions/ seems to work
14:23 khall I think it would good to resurrect the Rotating Collections and give it a test.
14:24 khall there is some code in that needs to be uncommented
14:25 khall at the very bottom
14:26 khall maybe that code needs to be moved into AddReturn
14:31 magnuse heh, now might be the worst possible time to ressurect it, since we are past the feature freeze date, and this seems to touch some core functionality...
14:31 magnuse i'll create a bug for it, at least
14:33 khall[…]w_bug.cgi?id=8836
14:34 huginn Bug 8836: enhancement, P5 - low, ---, koha-bugs, NEW , Resurrect Rotating Collections
14:34 khall sorry, beat you too it : )
14:34 magnuse ah, great!
14:34 magnuse less work for me :-)
14:34 khall we can still work on it, we just can't expect it to be pushed for a bit.
14:34 magnuse yup
14:35 libsysguy just like DBIx::Class ;)
14:35 magnuse just imagine how cool 3.12 will be when we get there :-)
14:36 libsysguy there does seem to be a lot of cool stuff on the horizon for 3.12
14:36 libsysguy deployment handler
14:36 khall yes, it's going to be pretty awesome
14:37 khall deployment handler++
14:37 magnuse um, what's a deployment handler?
14:37 kf I hope we can streamline workfslows a bit more too
14:37 kf less lost kittens
14:37 kf yeah, what's a deployment handler? :)
14:37 khall[…]
14:38 * magnuse reveals his utter ignorance
14:38 libsysguy magnuse it'll make a sandwich out of
14:38 khall it's a great db versioning system
14:38 magnuse ooh, tasty!
14:38 magnuse ah, yes, i think i had a glance at that a while back
14:38 khall not only can it handle upgrades, but downgrades too. And you can generate files for any database
14:38 magnuse cool!
14:38 magnuse w00t!
14:38 khall mysql, postgres, even sqlite!
14:38 libsysguy all thanks to DBIx::Class
14:39 khall I think I'll try running Koha on sqlite. We'll see how that goes : )
14:39 * jcamins prefers DBIx::Class::Versioned.
14:39 libsysguy so bug 8798 needs some QA love
14:39 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=8798 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, elliott, Signed Off , Add the use of DBIx::Class
14:39 kf jcamins: I have heard rangi talking about this
14:39 khall DBIx::Class::DeploymentHandler is a much more powerful alternative to this module. Examples of things it can do that this module cannot do include
14:39 khall Downgrades in addition to upgrades
14:39 khall Multiple sql files files per upgrade/downgrade/install
14:39 khall Perl scripts allowed for upgrade/downgrade/install
14:39 khall Just one set of files needed for upgrade, unlike this module where one might need to generate factorial(scalar @versions)
14:40 jcamins kf: yes, we are in agreement.
14:40 libsysguy jcamins isn't that the one that was deprecated in favor of deployment handler
14:40 libsysguy or what khall pasted
14:40 jcamins libsysguy: possibly, but until we support mod_perl, Moose is not acceptable as a core dependency.
14:40 jcamins Support mod_perl *easily*.
14:40 khall jcamins: why is that?
14:40 jcamins CGI or mod_perl is a requirement, and Moose makes CGI a non-starter.
14:41 jcamins khall: several second load times before our code starts running.
14:41 magnuse so DBIx::Class::DeploymentHandler is built on Moose?
14:42 jcamins[…]g.cgi?id=7417#c23
14:42 huginn Bug 7417: enhancement, P5 - low, ---, jcamins, Pushed to Master , Include alternate forms from authorities in bibliographic searches
14:42 jcamins Right.
14:42 wajasu joined #koha
14:43 libsysguy yeah Moose is required in DBIx::Class::DeploymentHandler::Dad
14:44 libsysguy brb
14:45 * magnuse admits he isn't up to date on everything and wonders how far along the road to persistence (mod_perl, plack etc) we are
14:46 jcamins magnuse: we're getting there on Plack, but Plack requires additional configuration that mod_perl does not.
14:46 khall when did IndependantBranches start preventing one library from issuing items to a patron from a different library?
14:46 jcamins khall: I thought that's what it always did?
14:47 khall apparently not, at least I have a library system that is saying so.
14:47 kf khall: I think reservesfromotherbranches and some additional configuration might be needed
14:47 magnuse jcamins: ah, thanks
14:49 khall kf: is that a system pref? I'm not seeing it
14:53 kf it used to be
14:53 kf reservefromotherbranches?
14:53 kf something similar
14:53 kf worked with indybranches to enable holds
14:53 kf but it might be there is a new feature here now
14:53 kf maybe check the code around the checkin?
14:55 * wizzyrea thinks that the users of independent branches should get together and make it work how they want it
14:55 wizzyrea because no one else uses it that way so it never gets tested properly
14:59 * jcamins thinks they'd never agree.
15:00 khall I agree. It seem like independantbranches needs to be a set of preferences, rather than a single one.
15:01 khall kf: The relevent code is in C4::Members::Search, it basically is just an automatic search filter for the logged in branchcode when IndependantBranches is enabled.
15:01 wizzyrea yea, exactly, it needs to be a section of preferences
15:01 khall if I comment it out, I can issue items to a patron without being able to edit them.
15:02 magnuse @quote 123?
15:02 huginn magnuse: I've exhausted my database of quotes
15:02 jcamins @quote get 123
15:02 huginn jcamins: Quote #123: "rangi: #thingsihavelearnt if there is a mad scheme a library somewhere will be doing it ... except madder" (added by wizzyrea at 09:20 PM, March 30, 2011)
15:02 khall so I dont' see a reason why we couldn't add this as a system preference
15:02 wizzyrea khall: it should be, I think. as long as the default is the current behavior
15:02 wizzyrea behaviour*
15:02 khall I wouldn't have it any other way ; )
15:04 wizzyrea :)
15:05 khall wizzyrea, would having IndependentBranches defaulting to a full lockdown, with additional prefs to re-enable some features make sense? It would allow us to add new overrides incrementally while not altering its essential behavior.
15:05 khall IndependantBranchesAllowIssuing
15:05 wizzyrea well here's a problem - do we know what it's essential behavior is supposed to be/
15:06 khall by that, I just mean the way it behaves now.
15:06 khall or I would just copy the value of IndependantBranches into IndependantBranchesAllowIssuing during the DB upgrade
15:06 wizzyrea i'm almost certain there's no consensus as to what the essential behaviour should be lol
15:07 khall I'd call it IndependantBranchesPreventIssuing
15:07 wizzyrea so yes, it makes complete sense to granularize it
15:08 khall ok, I think I have good starting plan now
15:08 brylie joined #koha
15:22 slef tcohen: errr, dselect works for me.
15:22 slef tcohen: (koha-devel posting) I think you have updates pending.
15:22 slef tcohen: I think you also had apache2 installed already?
15:23 tcohen slef, none of them
15:23 tcohen my setup might be busted
15:23 slef tcohen: have you tried running "dselect" to see what it's doing?
15:23 tcohen but everything is updated, and apache2 was removed prior
15:24 tcohen what should i do after starting dselect?
15:24 tcohen are you on 12.04 amd64 too?
15:25 slef tcohen: I'm also puzzled by the :i386 bit, because I don't ever get that (amd64)
15:25 slef 10.04 amd64 because that was the closest server handy
15:25 slef after starting dselect, look in Select
15:26 tcohen what do this produce for you?: echo "apache2 install" | dpkg --set-selections ; dselect install
15:28 slef sorry phone
15:31 slef Reading package lists... Done
15:31 slef Building dependency tree
15:31 slef Reading state information... Done
15:31 slef 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed and 0 to remove.
15:32 mtompset ... I know my setup is busted... our hosting provider provides our repos.
15:32 reiveune bye
15:32 reiveune left #koha
15:34 slef bbl, got to vote
15:36 slef ah just saw[…]e/apt/+bug/879324 which I think might be what tcohen suffers?
15:39 francharb joined #koha
15:39 francharb left #koha
15:39 mtompset Perhaps a disabling of multiarch would solve the problem then?
15:44 tcohen I think that apt bug is correct, and matches my diagnostic of dselect install method for dependencies being broken
15:45 tcohen is debian 6 multi-arch by default?
15:46 asaurat left #koha
15:49 mtompset Wheezy is next, right?
15:49 mtompset So, currently not fully?
15:49 mtompset\
15:50 mtompset Sorry for the extra \. Enter is so close. :(
15:50 talljoy joined #koha
15:52 laurence left #koha
15:58 nengard anyone remember a bug where a search for author doesn't show the checkboxes in the staff client?
15:58 nengard I thought I reported such a bug but can't find it
16:05 melia joined #koha
16:08 nengard found it bug 8686
16:08 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=8686 major, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, REOPENED , author search in staff missing checkboxes and menu
16:08 kf crazy day - bye all
16:08 kf left #koha
16:09 talljoy joined #koha
16:16 drojf woah, seems like the mailing list is working again ;)
16:23 * mtompset waves bye.
16:27 sturmtruppen joined #koha
17:13 cait joined #koha
17:49 talljoy1 joined #koha
17:50 talljoy1 rebooting.
17:50 talljoy1 left #koha
17:54 libsysguy joined #koha
17:57 talljoy joined #koha
18:02 talljoy1 joined #koha
18:05 nengard is there documentation anywhere about the searchengine preference? I assume you need to do more than flip the switch to change search engines - I'm working on the manual for 3.10 and want to make it clear to the average user what needs to be done
18:06 cait nengard: have you seen my example on the bug?
18:06 cait talking about bug 8523
18:06 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=8523 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, jcamins, Pushed to Master , Authority hierarchies only support UNIMARC
18:06 nengard there is no bug number on the db update ? this is why I wrote that email to the Dev list ? I need bug numbers!!
18:06 cait in $w goes h or g for wider or narrower
18:07 nengard oh!
18:07 nengard cait I saw your screenshot
18:07 cait I don't know about the search engine pref - but you can find the bug number from hte updatedatabase history
18:07 jcamins_away @query solr
18:07 cait look at comment  19
18:07 huginn jcamins_away: Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=7260 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, gmcharlt, NEW , User should be able to determine the number of search results per page (OPAC)
18:07 huginn jcamins_away: Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=7174 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, paul.poulain, NEW , Authentication rewriting
18:07 huginn jcamins_away: Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=7013 normal, PATCH-Sent (DO NOT USE), ---, adrien.saurat, In Discussion , required format is not enforced for authorized values
18:07 huginn jcamins_away: Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=8623 normal, P5 - low, ---, jcamins, Needs Signoff , Javascript libraries should be outside theme directories
18:07 huginn jcamins_away: Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=8773 enhancement, P5 - low, ---, tomascohen, Needs Signoff , Add per-instance koha-index-daemon in .deb setup
18:07 jcamins_away @query without breakign
18:07 huginn jcamins_away: No results for "without breakign."
18:07 jcamins_away @query without breaking
18:07 nengard cait yes, I see that example, but I kind of need one in English for the English manual
18:07 huginn jcamins_away: Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=8233 major, P2, ---, jonathan.druart, Signed Off , New search engine layer - introduce solr without breaking anything else
18:07 huginn jcamins_away: Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=7453 minor, P5 - low, ---, oleonard, Pushed to Stable , Borrower without expiry date breaks opac login
18:08 jcamins_away Bug 8233.
18:08 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=8233 major, P2, ---, jonathan.druart, Signed Off , New search engine layer - introduce solr without breaking anything else
18:08 cait nengard: I know :) but just copy it with america - kansas - lawrence or something?
18:08 cait and the $w are important
18:08 jcamins_away nengard: if you link the authorities using the plugin and selecting broader/narrower as appropriate, it will just work.
18:08 cait they indicate if it's a link upwards or downwrads
18:08 jcamins_away Without the $w set, there's no hierarchy. Just related terms.
18:08 cait oh
18:08 nengard jcamins I did use the plugin to select
18:08 cait or use the plugin and the nice pulldown
18:08 nengard and i reindexed
18:09 nengard what nice pull down?
18:09 nengard off to look
18:09 cait if you open the plugin, the last field on the search form
18:09 jcamins_away The one for setting the $w.
18:09 cait at the bottom of the search form and before the result list
18:09 jcamins_away Well, no, it's the authority control plugin, which has a box for setting the $w.
18:10 jcamins_away It doesn't actually say "$w," now that I think about it. It says "relationship type."
18:10 jcamins_away You can also just add 'g' and 'h' to the $ws.
18:10 jcamins_away (directly)
18:10 jcamins_away The "relationship type" dropdown doesn't do anything special, it just saves time.
18:11 jcamins_away (at the beginning... not so much time saving after you've already done the authority control, obviously)
18:12 nengard BINGO
18:12 nengard it was the $w
18:12 nengard I needed it to be g (or h i guess)
18:13 jcamins_away Yup. g is broader, h is narrower.
18:13 nengard what would you consider psuedonyms (spell?) to be
18:13 nengard just out of curiousity
18:13 jcamins_away They're just see also under.
18:13 jcamins_away No need for a $w.
18:13 nengard and so no link
18:13 jcamins_away There's a link, but no hierarchy.
18:13 nengard hency my problem with the example i attached
18:13 nengard right
18:14 nengard that's what i mean
18:14 cait sorry was in the kitchen - spilling little pieces of green herb everywhere :(
18:14 jcamins_away Unless you are using a pseudonym that is not considered to have independent literary warrant, in which case it would be a 4xx, and there wouldn't be a link because it would be a "see from."
18:15 jcamins_away (you don't need to note that in the manual, just clarifying my earlier blanket statement)
18:17 nengard jcamins - did you mean - I set the preferences and then did a reindex and I'm getting 'Did you mean: HASH(0x4508468)'
18:17 jcamins_away nengard: yes, there's a patch on bug 8209.
18:17 huginn Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=8209 normal, P5 - low, ---, jcamins, Passed QA , "Did you mean?" suggestions based on authorities
18:17 nengard oh okay
18:17 nengard won't document that yet then
18:17 jcamins_away Good plan. ;)
18:17 nengard also there is no bug number on that db update either ? just fyi
18:17 jcamins_away Yes, we discussed doing this a few days ago.
18:18 jcamins_away It hasn't been part of standard practice to put bug numbers in DB updates.
18:21 BobB joined #koha
18:21 nengard it was at one time cause there always were bug numbers, but anyway, that's why so many questions from me lately
18:25 BobB joined #koha
18:58 gaetan_B joined #koha
19:02 talljoy joined #koha
19:37 mveron What is the table 'browser' for?  See http://schema.koha-community.o[…]bles/browser.html
19:37 nengard left #koha
19:45 rangi Morning
19:46 trea kia ora rangi
19:46 bag morning rangi
19:46 bag how's the conference?
19:46 wizzyrea mornin rangi
19:47 cait hi bag
19:47 cait hi rangi
19:47 bag heya cait
19:49 rangi Conference was good
19:53 rangi Koha got a big shout out from Marshall
19:54 cait :)
20:02 drojf good evening #koha
20:04 bag oh nice a shout out from marshall :)
20:05 drojf rangi: what conference?
20:06 rangi Lianza the big nz one
20:09 rangi About 700 people I think
20:09 drojf and talks with "what the hell" in the title, excellent :)
20:10 rangi Yep from a koha library of course
20:10 drojf lol
20:10 rangi Paul is cool
20:11 rangi Ok my stop
20:12 rangi This afternoon Karen schneider is talking with us
20:14 drojf i already like her for the name of her blog, freerangelibrarian :)
20:14 cait mveron: a classification browser for the opac
20:14 cait mveron: the opaccloud feature you suggested to be deleted ;)
20:15 mveron cait: Thanks for the information :-)
20:15 cait I know how I stared at it last time
20:15 cait when I had to documnt the tables for the data privacy documents
20:16 drojf you had to document all tables for data privacy?
20:17 cait for the documents yes, don't aswk
20:17 cait it was a bit traumatic
20:17 drojf omg
20:17 drojf i can imagine that
20:21 trea joined #koha
20:23 mveron Good night #koha :-)
20:24 rangi back
20:33 talljoy1 joined #koha
20:34 libsysguy wajasu I thought I'd let you know I have been able to seriously weed whack my calendar code with DBIx::Class
20:39 talljoy joined #koha
20:47 cait joined #koha
20:54 rambutan joined #koha
20:56 rambutan left #koha
21:06 Space_Librarian joined #koha
21:10 rangi hey Space_Librarian
21:10 wahanui well, Space_Librarian is a Koha poet or the sweetest lil lady you'll ever know
21:13 Space_Librarian ola rangi
21:13 Space_Librarian ready for the hoards to descend later?
21:13 rangi yep, pretty much
21:14 Space_Librarian we're looking forward to it.
21:15 rangi yay :)
21:15 rangi it will be pretty informal
21:15 Space_Librarian which is why we're looking forward to it.
21:16 Space_Librarian I'm looking forward to the meringue war with ibeardslee
21:17 * rangi kills a spammer
21:17 Space_Librarian die spammer die!
21:21 drojf ah, that spammer
21:28 libsysguy can anybody else verify that DateTime::Format::Duration is only available in SID for Debian
21:28 kathryn joined #koha
21:28 cait morning kathryn :)
21:29 kathryn Hi cait :)
21:30 * Space_Librarian passes cait chocolate.
21:31 cait hi Space_Librarian - and thx :)
21:36 Space_Librarian np cait :)
21:36 mtj libsysguy ->[…]mat-duration-perl
21:38 libsysguy so just for wheezy mtj
21:38 libsysguy i think its unstable on squeeze
21:38 mtj [  wheezy  ] [  sid  ]
21:38 mtj
21:39 libsysguy AH
22:04 rangi updated
22:04 libsysguy w00t
22:04 libsysguy rangi++
22:06 Space_Librarian rangi++
22:09 cait rangi++
22:20 bag ah 145 tables seems better :)
22:21 wajasu libsysguy:  sweet
22:22 eythian hi
22:23 wajasu rangi++
22:25 BobB joined #koha
22:28 edveal left #koha
22:36 cait left #koha
22:44 maximep left #koha
23:44 sophie_m left #koha

| Channels | #koha index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | plain, newest first | summary