IRC log for #koha, 2011-01-05

All times shown according to UTC.

Time S Nick Message
00:12 HBankhead left #koha
00:27 cait left #koha
01:01 owen joined #koha
01:02 * owen sneaks back in for a while
01:03 druthb hi, owen. :)
01:04 chris heya owen
01:19 HBankhead joined #koha
01:20 HBankhead left #koha
01:22 owen left #koha
01:40 gregg joined #koha
02:45 munin New commit(s) kohagit: Fix for Bug 5571 - tags as bulleted list too long <[…]913c8a060dd05971f>
02:56 hudsonbot Starting build 262 for job Koha_Master (previous build: SUCCESS)
03:17 druthb left #koha
03:20 hudsonbot Project Koha_Master build #262: SUCCESS in 23 min: http://hudson.koha-community.o[…]/Koha_Master/262/
03:20 hudsonbot Owen Leonard: Fix for Bug 5571 - tags as bulleted list too long
03:56 Amit joined #koha
03:56 Amit heya all
04:10 Oak joined #koha
04:10 Oak \o
05:53 Amit left #koha
06:07 Amit joined #koha
06:13 stephdg left #koha
06:20 ronald left #koha
06:56 francharb joined #koha
06:58 francharb hello
07:34 laurence joined #koha
07:36 bigbrovar joined #koha
07:49 stephane_ joined #koha
08:01 ivanc joined #koha
08:01 ivanc hi #koha
08:24 paul_p joined #koha
08:24 paul_p hello all !
08:26 Amit heya paul_p
08:49 paul_p hello amit
08:49 Amit hdl around
08:52 hdl Hi Amit
08:52 hdl Ho are you ?
08:52 hdl happy new year
08:53 Amit hi hdl happy new year
08:53 hdl I have just received the mockups.
08:53 Amit have u seen savitra mail
08:54 hdl I will see them. And we could arrange a meeting on friday.
08:54 hdl if you can
08:58 Amit hdl: i think monday is better
08:59 Amit if you can
08:59 hdl monday morning ?
08:59 hdl 9h30 ?
08:59 Amit from your timing
08:59 Amit or indian timing
08:59 hdl 8h30 UTC
08:59 Amit ok fine
09:00 Amit let me confirm with savitra i will inform u
09:00 hdl ok
09:00 hdl thanks
09:01 chris hdl and paul_p have you read ?
09:09 paul_p hi chris, thanks for the url. I haven't seen it yet though i've seen the lwc reports on twitter. BibLibre highly under-represented :\
09:14 chris yeah, same with catalyst
09:15 chris which is fine, as long as people are aware of the fact its only a very small sample
09:15 chris the problem is mbreeding talks about it, as if it has some statistically value
09:15 chris i tried to make that point in my comments
09:18 Oak left #koha
09:18 paul_p chris: the problem with FLOSS is that it is hard to have reliable stats. that's a weakness [I think from a marketing pov]
09:19 Amit hdl: meeting confirm monday 8:30 UTC
09:22 chris paul_p: the truth is, the stats are unreliable for proprietary too
09:22 chris they just dont worry as much about lying as we do
10:35 cait joined #koha
10:35 cait hi #koha
10:40 hdl hi cait
10:40 hdl Anyone using ?
10:41 cait hi hdl
10:41 cait yeah I think we use it
10:41 cait to send pre due and due messages
10:41 hdl Is it working ok for you ?
10:43 cait yep
10:43 cait we only use the digest
10:43 cait with <<count>>
10:44 cait you have 5 items due today... I think there is no possibility to list them in the digest
10:44 cait and not using the digest means sending one notice for each item
10:45 hdl It is so close to overdue_notices that it should have shared code
10:46 hdl (And actually, code was copy paste edit of previous
10:47 cait I think a lot of overdue notices should be in c4 anyway
10:48 cait I talked to chris about it some time ago
10:48 cait we need to make some changes to overdues, it's on my dev list. but is about 13 pages if you print it
10:51 hdl just as any script in Koha
10:52 cait yeah, just saying it's a bit scary for me :)
11:09 Amit left #koha
11:16 alex_a left #koha
11:19 sophie_m joined #koha
11:26 stephane_ left #koha
12:16 nengard joined #koha
12:29 Nate joined #koha
12:29 Nate left #koha
12:34 laurence left #koha
12:40 jwagner joined #koha
12:41 druthb joined #koha
12:47 cait bye
12:47 cait left #koha
13:01 collum joined #koha
13:28 hudsonbot Starting build 23 for job Koha_Docs_Master_Branch (previous build: SUCCESS)
13:28 nengard oh cool - that happens everytime I do a commit? :)
13:34 jcamins_a is now known as jcamins
13:34 jcamins Yep.
13:34 jcamins chris++
13:35 druthb is now known as druthb_a
13:39 owen joined #koha
13:41 owen Hi #koha
13:43 hudsonbot Project Koha_Docs_Master_Branch build #23: SUCCESS in 15 min: http://hudson.koha-community.o[…]Master_Branch/23/
13:43 hudsonbot Nicole C. Engard: update fines warning image per new patch
13:44 nengard hiya owen
13:45 ivanc left #koha
13:46 druthb_a is now known as druthb
13:48 druthb hi, owen! :)
13:49 jcamins Good morning, owen and druthb.
13:50 druthb hi, jcamins! :D
13:57 sekjal joined #koha
14:01 nengard left #koha
14:11 Nate joined #koha
14:11 * druthb waves to Nate.
14:12 Nate Hiya!
14:13 * jcamins squints and waves
14:13 Nate Im in a plane!!!
14:15 sekjal_ joined #koha
14:17 owen Prize to the first person to submit a patch from a plane
14:17 sekjal left #koha
14:18 sekjal_ is now known as sekjal
14:28 gmcharlt owen: does doing that last year count?
14:28 owen Yes
14:29 gmcharlt heh - I know I did patch-pushing from a plane once or twice; not sure if I actually submitted a new patch while in flight
14:31 * owen will have to consult the judges
14:31 * druthb watches for the instant replay.
14:58 bigbrovar left #koha
14:58 magnus joined #koha
14:58 druthb left #koha
15:01 magnus good evening, #koha
15:05 jwagner Hi magnus
15:05 magnus hiya jwagner ;-)
15:19 magnus @wunder bodo, norway
15:19 munin magnus: The current temperature in Bodo, Norway is -5.0�C (3:50 PM CET on January 05, 2011). Conditions: Clear. Humidity: 54%. Dew Point: -13.0�C. Windchill: -14.0�C. Pressure: 29.56 in 1001 hPa (Falling).
15:21 jwagner @later tell nengard The github site apparently had a server down. Our public repo address seems to have changed to -- I'm leaving on travel & won't have time to update the bugzilla entries until I get back.
15:21 munin jwagner: The operation succeeded.
15:27 nengard joined #koha
15:29 nengard 3 more tutorial videos in the can :)
15:29 nengard jwagner when you update those bugzilla reports, just attach the patch, it's more likely to get someone to look at it and sign off on it if they don't have to hunt down the patch in a repo
15:30 jwagner When I get back, and when I have some of that mythical free time :-(
15:30 sekjal jwagner:  I'm actually working on a rebase of one the Harley branches right now, for bug 4329
15:30 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=4329 enhancement, PATCH-Sent, ---, jwagner, ASSIGNED, OPAC search by shelving location option
15:30 jwagner I've been meaning to update the integration page at[…]HarleyIntegration -- I know some things have been updated or pushed
15:31 sekjal I'll get that patch attached to the bug report once it's complete; save you one, at least
15:31 nengard owen around?
15:31 owen Yes
15:31 jwagner sekjal and anyone else, if you would update the wiki page when you do one, that would help keep track of things. Thanks
15:31 jwagner Gotta go catch a plane now....
15:31 nengard signed off on bug 3347 after i fixed a whitespace error, but i'm not sure i did it right
15:31 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=3347 minor, PATCH-Sent, ---, oleonard, ASSIGNED, Inconsistencies with tables in opac-shelves.tmpl
15:31 sekjal jwagner: gotcha
15:31 nengard my git repo now says i have uncommited changes ... but when i look at the signed off patch the whitespace is gone ... ideas?
15:32 jwagner left #koha
15:32 jcamins nengard: git diff
15:32 jcamins nengard: git status, rather
15:32 nengard jcamins, i know what the difference is and what the status is - but what step did i miss - I committed my changes with an --amend
15:32 nengard and signed off
15:33 nengard but for some reason git doesn't think i did that ... so i skipped a step
15:33 jcamins Hm. You can git add and git commit --amend as many times as you want.
15:33 nengard i forgot git add!!!!
15:33 nengard :)
15:34 jcamins Yeah, that might be why.
15:34 nengard sending again
15:34 nengard thanks
15:35 nengard ps i like the lists changes owen
15:35 owen Thanks!
15:41 nengard i like seeing patches from you - cause i can pretty much sign off on any of them - cause i know how  to test them
15:41 owen I resubmitted a few today that failed to merge when I was rebasing yesterday
15:44 sekjal okay, I've got a rebased version of PTFS's 'opac search by location code', but it just applies universally; there is no sys pref to toggle it.  It also only applies to the OPAC adv search
15:45 sekjal I think I may need to do a followup
15:46 rhcl_away is now known as rhcl
15:46 owen sekjal: Any luck with the AND vs. OR problem I commented on?
15:49 sekjal not yet... but I'll take a further look in my followup
15:54 drotsk joined #koha
15:54 drotsk o/
15:55 magnus \o
15:57 nengard sekjal i signed off on that patch
15:57 nengard owen i'm off to check on the others you submitted to sign off on them if possible :)
15:57 owen nengard++
15:57 wizzyrea owen, question about autocomplete
15:57 wizzyrea (browser autocomplete)
15:58 wizzyrea (not js autocomplete)
15:58 wizzyrea so we've had instances in our libraries where due to latency somewhere, the barcode scanned autocompletes and a different item or different patron is brought up
15:58 wizzyrea browser autocompletes
15:59 wizzyrea I'm wondering about the merits of putting autocomplete="off" on those fields most likely to generate this issue
15:59 owen Change your browser configuration instead
15:59 ibot owen: that doesn't look right
15:59 ibot left #koha
15:59 ibot joined #koha
16:00 wizzyrea we've done that.
16:00 wizzyrea but they update their firefox and we have to do it all over again
16:02 owen Oh, am I the last the learn this?
16:02 owen Congratulations jcamins !
16:02 jcamins Thanks.
16:02 druthb joined #koha
16:03 jcamins owen: probably not, given how quickly you saw the press release.
16:03 owen bywater++
16:03 * owen thought maybe #koha had the inside story
16:04 jcamins Well, brendan, Nate, nengard, and sekjal knew.
16:04 druthb congrats, jcamins!    :)
16:04 jcamins Thanks.
16:04 sophie_m left #koha
16:04 hdl congrats jcamins
16:05 gmcharlt jcamins++
16:05 gmcharlt bywater++
16:05 nengard we're super happy to have jcamins!! :)
16:05 Nate Yes we are!!
16:05 sekjal most thoroughly yes
16:05 jcamins They say that now...
16:06 druthb hehe
16:06 hdl sekjal: Nate druthb gmcharlt Happy New Year
16:06 sekjal and Happy New Year to you, hdl!
16:06 hdl sekjal: Have you been able to do anything on data persistance ?
16:07 sekjal no, this holiday season has been pretty packed, and I've been working on other devs for some of our clients
16:07 druthb thanks, hdl!  bonne année to you, as well.
16:08 magnus wow, congrats jcamins and bywater!
16:08 owen sekjal++ # for working on some devs for us!
16:09 hdl Have you read what I wrote on koha-devel ? What do you think of it ?
16:11 sekjal I've noticed the issues in the CanBook/Item... functions
16:12 sekjal and they seem to be called just about everywhere
16:12 joetho joined #koha
16:13 nengard owen, signed off on a couple of your patches and fixes whitespace errors (I think) :)
16:14 sekjal the CanBookBe... subroutines should just be a composite of all return values of the CanItemBe... subroutines for every attached item
16:16 owen hdl: I'm looking at PTFS's suggested changes for Bug 3719
16:16 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=3719 enhancement, PATCH-Sent, ---, jwagner, ASSIGNED, Create syspref to allow sites to rename OPAC Cart
16:16 owen Among them are lines like this:
16:16 owen var MSG_RECORD_IN_BASKET = _("This item is already in your <!-- TMPL_VAR NAME="opacbookbagName" -->");
16:17 owen Is it valid to put the TMPL_VAR inside the _() function?
16:18 * owen images that kind of construction is bad for many languages
16:19 hdl owen: you are right.
16:19 hdl get TMPL_VAR out of that.
16:21 owen But even if I change it to var MSG_RECORD_IN_BASKET = _("This item is already in your ')+<!-- TMPL_VAR NAME="opacbookbagName" -->; it is too rigid a sentence structure isn't it?
16:24 sekjal owen:  it is a bit restrictive
16:25 drotsk left #koha
16:26 Nate left #koha
16:26 joetho left #koha
16:27 stephdg joined #koha
16:27 owen _("Your")+" "+<!-- TMPL_VAR NAME="opacbookbagName" -->+" "+"_("is currently empty"); is even worse
16:27 hdl <!-- TMPL_VAR NAME="opacbookbagName" -->+" "+"_("is currently empty")
16:28 hdl what do you think of that ?
16:28 hdl <!-- TMPL_VAR NAME="opacbookbagName" -->+" "+"_("empty")
16:29 hdl congrats jcamins
16:29 jcamins hdl: thanks.
16:29 hdl congrats bywatersolutions
16:31 owen hdl: That works for that particular case, but I still think we're left with constructions that don't translate well
16:31 owen I suppose there must be many existing examples of that anyway
16:31 * owen should have this conversation when cait is here
16:32 hdl owen: sure... hebrew and arabic have a very different way to structure things.
16:32 hdl But there are already many examples of that.
16:34 paul_p congrats jcamins !
16:40 chris_n congrats jcamins && bywater
16:40 jcamins Thanks. :)
16:48 nengard is now known as neng_food
16:52 jcamins Food... yes, I like this idea.
16:52 jcamins is now known as jcamins_a
16:53 hdl jcamins_a: sending you a cookie
16:53 jcamins_a :)
16:53 jcamins_a I think I'll try pizza again.
16:53 jcamins_a Yesterday's attempt was unsuccessful, but I'll use it as a starter today, and I have high hopes that it won't be a complete disaster.
17:10 neng_food is now known as nengard
17:16 paul_p left #koha
17:24 sekjal is now known as sekjal_a
17:45 hdl left #koha
17:51 magnus re bug 5576
17:51 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=5576 enhancement, P5, ---, ian.walls, ASSIGNED, Access Koha via SSL
17:51 magnus isn't that more a question of server config than a question of koha features?
17:52 sekjal_a is now known as sekjal
17:53 sekjal magnus:  yes, it is
17:53 sekjal you have to run the OPAC over SSL with Apache configs
17:55 sekjal but, I've development that, if you've got a parallel OPAC running over https, will allow you to toggle whether to use that site for OPAC login
17:55 magnus ah, i see - that sounds cool!
17:56 magnus and perhaps someone could document the config for e.g. apache somewhere too?
17:56 sekjal it's pretty easy to do the staff client over https, but since you want to have parts of the OPAC secure and parts free (presumably), there needs to be some mechanism in the coding
17:56 sekjal magnus: I'll see where I can drop that into the commit
18:01 magnus cool! but perhaps it could be on the wiki or in the manual too?
18:02 sekjal yes, that would make more sense
18:07 jcamins_a Does OSS have a browsable git repository?
18:08 sekjal not seeing a GitWeb instance
18:09 jcamins_a Bleck.
18:09 jcamins_a is now known as jcamins
18:16 chris jcamins: drop them a mail, if they can't set one up we can set up one one git.koha-community they can push to
18:17 magnus meeting in 3 hours 40 mins?
18:17 chris Yes
18:18 chris Jwagner++ #for doing her action point and sending a reminder
18:19 cait joined #koha
18:19 chris Hi cait
18:19 cait hi chris :)
18:19 cait @wunder Konstanz
18:19 munin cait: The current temperature in Konstanz, Germany is -2.0�C (7:00 PM CET on January 05, 2011). Conditions: Mostly Cloudy. Humidity: 81%. Dew Point: -4.0�C. Pressure: 29.95 in 1014 hPa (Falling).
18:20 cait the meeting is in 3.5 hours?
18:21 cait jcamins++ :)
18:22 magnus hi cait - and yes, 3.5 hours (i asked the same thing only seconds before you joined ;-)
18:22 cait hi magnus :)
18:23 * cait is finally back home
18:26 owen Meeting starts just after I have to leave to pick up kids :(
18:38 chris Muggy again today
18:38 chris @wunder wellington nz
18:38 munin chris: The current temperature in Wellington, New Zealand is 18.0�C (7:00 AM NZDT on January 06, 2011). Conditions: Scattered Clouds. Humidity: 94%. Dew Point: 17.0�C. Pressure: 29.86 in 1011 hPa (Steady).
18:39 cait but much warmer than here
18:39 cait @wunder Reutlingen
18:39 munin cait: The current temperature in Reutlingen, Germany is -2.4�C (7:44 PM CET on January 05, 2011). Conditions: Clear. Humidity: 55%. Dew Point: -10.0�C. Windchill: -2.0�C. Pressure: 28.23 in 955.9 hPa (Steady).
18:39 nengard @wunder 19030
18:39 munin nengard: The current temperature in CWOP # AR939, Penndel, Pennsylvania is 3.9�C (1:44 PM EST on January 05, 2011). Conditions: Clear. Humidity: 41%. Dew Point: -8.0�C. Windchill: 4.0�C. Pressure: 29.81 in 1009.4 hPa (Steady).
18:41 mib_eik5g joined #koha
18:42 mib_eik5g left #koha
18:45 magnus @wunder bodo, norway
18:45 munin magnus: The current temperature in Bodo, Norway is -6.0�C (6:50 PM CET on January 05, 2011). Conditions: Low Drifting Snow. Humidity: 58%. Dew Point: -13.0�C. Windchill: -16.0�C. Pressure: 29.50 in 999 hPa (Falling).
18:45 * druthb shivers
18:46 jcamins @wunder 11375
18:46 munin jcamins: The current temperature in Middle Village, Queens, New York is 4.8�C (1:46 PM EST on January 05, 2011). Conditions: Scattered Clouds. Humidity: 37%. Dew Point: -9.0�C. Windchill: 5.0�C. Pressure: 29.78 in 1008.4 hPa (Falling).
18:46 jcamins @wunder 11105
18:46 munin jcamins: The current temperature in Astoria, Astoria, New York is 3.7�C (1:50 PM EST on January 05, 2011). Conditions: Scattered Clouds. Humidity: 42%. Dew Point: -8.0�C. Windchill: 4.0�C. Pressure: 29.81 in 1009.4 hPa (Falling).
18:46 jcamins :D It's nicer in Forest Hills.
18:46 cait we had -11 last night
18:46 cait brr
18:47 jcamins Not only will our apartment be nicer, the weather is nicer. I like that.
18:48 chris I've been to astoria oregon
18:49 chris It was nice
18:49 jcamins Astoria, Oregon actually had a medal struck in 2009 commemorating its founding.
18:49 chris Cept for all the goonies
18:50 sekjal and those dang Kindergarten Cops....
18:50 chris Oh sweet queen of the whole universe is coming soon
18:51 druthb a two *terabyte* SATA drive for $100?  dang....
18:51 jcamins What?
18:51 druthb Microcenter ad in the mail today.
18:51 jcamins Did those three statements have anything to do with each other?
18:51 druthb nope.
18:51 * druthb is off in her own little world, as usual.
18:52 chris http://www.queenwholeuniverse.[…]show%20dates.html
18:52 * cait waves to druthb
18:52 chris Best paegent ever
18:52 * sekjal has another couple bays.... could add another 2TB.... hmm....
18:52 * druthb waves to cait.
18:52 chris Brb
18:54 wizzyrea wow, this channel just went down the rabbit hold
18:54 wizzyrea hole even
18:54 wizzyrea 2 tb for 100 bucks
18:54 wizzyrea insanity
18:54 jcamins wizzyrea: didn't you just get a 2TB drive?
18:55 druthb[…]roduct_id=0331601
18:55 wizzyrea 1tb, 56 bucks
19:04 chris back
19:05 chris oh and a cafe across the road that sells peoples coffee just opened, good day
19:05 magnus how does that work? you walk in with your coffee and then they sell it to someone else? ;-)
19:06 * owen guesses
19:06 gmcharlt magnus: instant recycling!
19:06 chris thats its owen
19:07 magnus ah, i see ;-)
19:08 chris its cool, they visit where the beans are grown, make sure the growers are treated well etc
19:09 jcamins magnus: sounds like they don't steal coffee after all.
19:09 chris they are nice people, yeah, and unlike starbucks they dont steal coffee :)
19:11 magnus guess it was just the lack of capitalization playing tricks with my imagination... ;-)
19:19 sekjal for bug 5576, better to put the preference administration in the Admin section, or the OPAC section?
19:19 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=5576 enhancement, P5, ---, ian.walls, ASSIGNED, Access Koha via SSL
19:20 chris is it just for the OPAC, or for both sites?
19:20 sekjal just OPAC
19:20 chris if just for the OPAC id put it in there
19:20 sekjal ok
19:28 collum left #koha
19:29 thd is now known as thd-away
19:30 gmcharlt sekjal: you may want to take a look at how Evergreen handles using SSL for patron login and display in the OPAC and regular HTTP for everything else
19:30 sekjal gmcharlt:  thanks, I'll take a peek
19:31 chris id like that once you are logged in, its ssl, before you are logged in its http
19:32 chris once you are placing holds etc, that may as well be encrypted too
19:32 chris make the fbi earn their money
19:34 gmcharlt or move some of the scripts about (to make URL rewriting easier) and have /opac/ and /opac/secure/
19:36 pastebot "gmcharlt" at pasted "sekjal: the relevant bit from EG's Apache config" (6 lines) at
19:36 gmcharlt one thing to note that SSLRequireSSL implies use of mod_ssl; mod_gnutls doesn't have a direct equivalent
19:40 sekjal thanks, gmcharlt
19:41 magnus i'm trying to do a character conversion in marcedit but it fails silently on some files - is there a better way to debug than to chop the failing files in half recursively to find the offending record(s)?
19:42 gmcharlt magnus: I gather that marcedit isn't producing partial output that would give you a hint?
19:42 magnus no
19:42 magnus no output at all, that i can see
19:48 briceSanc joined #koha
19:48 briceSanc Hello all ! Happy new year !
19:48 cait happy new year briceSanc
19:50 chris hi briceSanc
19:52 briceSanc i've a problem with my Koha, i can't finish an update from git
19:55 hdl joined #koha
19:56 owen briceSanc: Can you give us more information?
19:57 briceSanc yes, the installer runs in loop
19:58 briceSanc when i "update your database" ( /cgi-bin/koha/installer/ )
19:59 briceSanc he write "Continue to log in to Koha" ( /cgi-bin/koha/installer/instal​ )
19:59 briceSanc but when i click on "Continue to log in to Koha", he returns to /cgi-bin/koha/installer/
19:59 sekjal is the "update your database" portion returning errors?  when you click to upgrade, what is the output?
20:00 briceSanc he returns "Everything went OK, update done."
20:01 briceSanc Do you know what is the problem ?
20:01 ibot somebody said the problem was probably with the email header
20:01 owen Hush ibot
20:01 nengard hehe
20:01 sekjal he means well....
20:02 jcamins ibot: forget the problem
20:02 ibot jcamins: I forgot problem
20:03 owen if only it were so easy...
20:03 owen ibot: Throw all your cares away
20:03 ibot owen: i'm not following you...
20:04 jcamins We're not going to get hauled away for bot baiting, are we?
20:06 francharb left #koha
20:06 briceSanc Any idea for my problem ?
20:07 mib_7x2wy joined #koha
20:07 mib_7x2wy hello everyone
20:08 magnus is now known as magnus_a
20:08 mib_7x2wy could someone explain what might cause this to occur?
20:08 chris hi mib_7x2wy, might want to do a /nick something_legible ;)
20:08 paul_p joined #koha
20:08 mib_7x2wy is now known as lac
20:09 owen lac: Right click on that broken image, choose "Copy image location" and paste here
20:09 owen Please :)
20:10 paul_p left #koha
20:10 chris is that the error, or are you talking about having 2 ghost items?
20:10 lac
20:10 lac oh dear..
20:11 lac chris: i'm talking about having 2 ghost items
20:11 chris right
20:11 chris if you go to edit items, does it show 1 there, or 3?
20:11 * owen goes back to peeling potatoes
20:11 chris and is that marc you have in marcedit the result of saving that record as marc, and opening it in marc edit?
20:11 lac chris: 3
20:12 chris and if you choose to save it as marc (on the right hand side) and open it in marcedit, does it have 3 952?
20:12 lac chris: correct, i used a perl script to generate the marc file and opened it using koha
20:13 chris the problem is
20:13 chris you have 3 952
20:13 chris instead of 1 952, with an a b and p
20:13 lac ah i see
20:14 chris so koha makes 3 items
20:14 chris might have to tweak your perl script
20:14 lac i guess i didn't fully understand MARC::Field
20:15 * chris_n hands his potatoes to owen
20:15 chris yeah you want 1 field, with 3 subfields .. in that records case anyway
20:15 * chris hopes that makes sense, little about MARC does
20:15 owen cait still around?
20:16 cait yes :)
20:17 owen Hi cait, I was pondering translation issues earlier and wanted your opinion
20:17 lac chris: indeed
20:17 thd-away is now known as thd
20:17 cait ok
20:17 hdl @later tell briceSanc your problem surely comes from a DBversion badly set in or the version in which is over the latest version in
20:17 munin hdl: The operation succeeded.
20:17 owen cait: the patch for Bug 3719 introduces some weird template constructions that concerned me with regard to translation
20:17 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=3719 enhancement, PATCH-Sent, ---, jwagner, ASSIGNED, Create syspref to allow sites to rename OPAC Cart
20:18 owen var MSG_RECORD_IN_BASKET = _("This item is already in your")+" <!-- TMPL_VAR NAME="opacbookbagName" -->";
20:19 briceSanc hdl, thaks i will check that !
20:19 owen cait: Doesn't that kind of construction work badly in German, for instance?
20:19 cait checking now - give me a minute :)
20:19 cait this construction works - but not sure about other languages
20:19 cait in general chopped sentences are never good
20:20 cait the borrower edit form does that a lot - sometimes there is really no way for a good translation this way
20:20 owen Okay. I was just curious. I've updated PTFS's work on bug 3719 and pushed it to my gitorious repo if anyone is interested in testing it
20:21 cait owen: meaning I could translate that sentence to make sense - but it's harder
20:21 chris i guess ptfs are too busy with kegs to keep their repo up to date
20:21 cait you have them in different parts in pootle, have to figure out which parts belong together... and sometimes you don't have a chance to make it sound right
20:21 cait kegs?
20:21 chris oh yes i did
20:21 jcamins :)
20:22 * cait checks her dictionary
20:22 chris LibLime will also be throwing a LibLime Koha Keg Party in the booth on Saturday January 8th. Stop by the booth to learn more.
20:22 jcamins cait: barrels used to hold beer, whisky, and certain other liquors.
20:22 owen Don't worry chris any day now they're going to do a rebase on that Harley stuff and let us know how it goes.
20:22 chris :)
20:22 cait thx jcamins :)
20:23 nengard what's all this keg talk?
20:23 cait owen: thx for thinking about translation :) and your concern is correct. but there seems to be no other way to make this pref work...?
20:24 cait teach people how to use jquery of course
20:24 cait does jquery work for the javascript alerts?
20:24 owen It's not a trivial amount of javascript but I think it has been done
20:24 owen In principle I like the idea of making it a system preference
20:25 cait yeah me too - but it makes things more difficult
20:25 cait I think german grammar is  not so far away from english sentence structure - but other languages are
20:26 owen I certainly don't mind the work getting rejected if the translation issues are too onerous
20:26 cait would not work in japanese - the verb is always at the end of the sentence (just an example)
20:26 cait it's hard to tell
20:26 cait people could always use a customized translation too... but not as easy as a syspref
20:28 cait ok, time to unpack a bit more :)
20:28 owen That seems to be an option Liblime/PTFS refuses to entertain
20:28 briceSanc hdl, munin, version is equal to the version
20:28 briceSanc but in mysql Version =  3.0201003 in systempreferences
20:29 chris ill defer to fredericd as translation manager, but if he says its too hard to translate im happy to reject it
20:29 hdl briceSanc: is it < than your kohaversion ?
20:29 chris and yes, they could just use the translation tool, you only need to translate one line
20:29 chris not the whole file, just the one you want different
20:29 briceSanc hdl, my Koha is on 3.2.x head of git
20:30 briceSanc i've made a git pull today
20:30 hdl seems that there is a problem in the update.
20:32 briceSanc hdl, probably...
20:33 hdl have  you tried to launch the updatedatabase via commandline script
20:33 lac left #koha
20:34 briceSanc hdl, i try
20:36 briceSanc koha@preprod:~/kohagit/installer/data/mysql$ ./
20:36 briceSanc Upgrade to done (Incrementing version for 3.2.2 release.)
20:36 briceSanc Upgrade to done (Fix misspelled 034r subfield in MARC21 Frameworks)
20:37 hdl is it ok now ?
20:37 briceSanc now when i click on "Continue to log in to Koha", i go to the staff interface
20:38 briceSanc but the installer stay active
20:39 briceSanc oh it's weird, the installer disappear after multi-reload
20:39 briceSanc i seems to be ok... i verify
20:39 hdl yes... >
20:40 hdl briceSanc: are you using memcached ?
20:40 hdl briceSanc: are you using modperl ?
20:41 briceSanc hdl, memcached is off but modperl is on
20:42 wizzyrea graphicsmagick?
20:42 ibot i guess graphicsmagick is avaliable in package form for the following Operating Systems: Version 1.1.11 in Lenny, 1.3.12 in Squeeze, 1.3.5 in Sid and Ubuntu Lucid. Regarding the update message, all Koha functions still work even if you only have Version 1.1.11.
20:43 nengard left #koha
20:49 briceSanc hdl, thanks for your help !
20:52 munin New commit(s) kohagit: Fix for Bug 3347 - Inconsistencies with tables in opac-shelves.tmpl <[…]11c02d05485eabdab>
20:56 hudsonbot Starting build 263 for job Koha_Master (previous build: SUCCESS)
21:05 ronald joined #koha
21:13 wizzyrea anyone know, in the label maker does the search look in the indexes or the db directly
21:15 owen anyone have some good sql up their sleeve for finding the most reserved item of the year?
21:15 druthb item, or title?
21:15 owen title
21:16 owen Can you do a 'group by' across two tables?
21:16 druthb might try to do some kind of select biblionumber,count(*) foolery with old_reserves?  Should be a way to look for a maximal number.
21:17 owen I guess I could do it the hard way and look at reserves and old_reserves separately
21:17 druthb hrm.
21:18 chris you can do a union
21:18 chris then group by
21:19 hudsonbot Project Koha_Master build #263: SUCCESS in 23 min: http://hudson.koha-community.o[…]/Koha_Master/263/
21:19 hudsonbot Owen Leonard: Fix for Bug 3347 - Inconsistencies with tables in opac-shelves.tmpl
21:21 owen According to my query of just old_reserves, the most-reserved biblionumber of 2010 was NULL :|
21:21 briceSanc goodbye!
21:21 briceSanc left #koha
21:22 chris select count(*) as total,biblionumber FROM (select * from reserves union select * from old_reserves) as union_table  group by biblionumber order by total desc limit 5;
21:22 wizzyrea oooooo
21:22 wizzyrea that's a good one chris
21:23 jcamins Half hour to the meeting?
21:23 chris yup
21:23 jcamins Just enough time to get some empty boxes then.
21:24 jcamins See you all in twenty.
21:24 jcamins is now known as jcamins_a
21:24 owen The winner (after NULL) is Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer
21:24 wizzyrea oo, shocker
21:24 owen chris++
21:25 wizzyrea chris++ indeed
21:25 wizzyrea i'm running ours now :)
21:25 chris you'll probably break cataloguing doing that or somethink
21:25 chris :)
21:25 wizzyrea nah, it's on the replica
21:26 chris since when has logic got anything to do with it?
21:26 owen Meyer takes 4 of the top 5
21:26 chris i fear for us all
21:27 owen Whoops,  forgot to limit to 2010.
21:27 wizzyrea haha ours was Breaking Dawn
21:29 owen Janet Evanovich's Sizzling Sixteen wins for 2010. Is that an improvement?
21:29 chris does it have vampires?
21:30 cait hehe
21:31 owen Women bounty hunters > Vampires?
21:31 wizzyrea heh
21:31 chris yes
21:31 owen I see a good mashup there
21:31 chris but so does a poke in the eye with a sharp stick
21:31 owen Oh wait, that was Buffy the Vampire Slayer
21:31 chris its not a high bar
21:32 owen gotta go, all, sorry to miss the meeting
21:32 owen left #koha
21:33 chris he will be sorry alright, when i assign action points to him
21:35 jbicha1 joined #koha
21:36 nengard joined #koha
21:36 magnus_a is now known as magnus
21:36 wizzyrea magnus: re your latest patch, which i think is great, maybe we should add also dev install examples
21:36 wizzyrea (similar to what was there before, but not specific to a particular company like the old ones were )
21:37 magnus wizzyrea: probably a good idea!
21:37 * wizzyrea will do that tomorrow, if you'd like
21:38 magnus wizzyrea: please do!
21:40 wizzyrea k :)
21:42 cait wizzyrea++
21:43 cait and magnus++ :)
21:52 Brooke joined #koha
21:52 druthb left #koha
21:52 Brooke kia ora
21:52 cait hi Brooke
21:52 hdl kia ora Brooke
21:52 daniel joined #koha
21:53 jcamins_a is now known as jcamins
21:53 magnus kia ora, daniel and Brooke
21:53 daniel kia ora, magnus and everyone
21:54 daniel congratulations, jcamins!
21:55 Lee joined #koha
21:56 Lee hey Daniel
21:56 Lee Happy New Year
21:56 * Brooke waves at lee
21:56 Lee hey Brooke
21:57 Lee Hey to you too Magnus
21:57 Lee we are meeting right?
21:57 magnus hiya Lee! starting to dry up?
21:57 cait hi Lee and Daniel - happy new year!
21:57 magnus Lee: yup
21:58 hdl hi Lee and Daniel
21:58 hdl Happy New Year
21:58 Lee We are all dry... now we have to paint and carpet
21:58 daniel Hi Lee, cait, hdl!
21:58 Lee another 60 days til be open the main branch
21:58 hdl too bad.
21:58 daniel hi Brooke!
21:58 magnus yeah, that sucks
21:59 Colin joined #koha
21:59 hdl hi Colin
21:59 daniel Lee, did you loose materials
21:59 daniel ?
21:59 Lee could've been worse...only lost 200 books
21:59 Colin Hi
22:00 daniel did I miss anyone pointing to[…]urce-alternative?
22:00 reed joined #koha
22:00 gregg so, is this the place and time for the meeting?
22:00 gregg is now known as gregglind
22:00 gregglind my clock-reading and utc skills are a bit rusty
22:00 nengard hi gregg!
22:01 nengard you're in the right place
22:01 nengard just waiting for our fearless leader to start the proceedings
22:01 magnus and the right time
22:01 gregglind excellent, I will shut up then, unless we do intros or somethign
22:01 chris #startmeeting
22:01 munin Meeting started Wed Jan  5 22:01:25 2011 UTC.  The chair is chris. Information about MeetBot at
22:01 munin Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
22:01 chris #topic Introductions
22:01 Topic for #koha is now Introductions
22:02 chris chris cormack, catalyst, RM 3.4
22:02 * nengard = Nicole C. Engard, Documenation Manager/ByWater Solutions
22:02 * magnus = Magnus Enger, Libriotech, Norway
22:02 * hdl Henri-Damien LAURENT, BibLibre, RMaint 3.0
22:02 thd Thomas Dukleth, Agogme, New York City
22:02 richard richard anderson, katipo
22:02 * cait = Katrin Fischer, BSZ, Germany
22:02 rhcl RHCL = Rolling Hills Consolidated Library, Greg Lawson
22:02 Colin Colin Campbell, PTFS Europe Ltd
22:02 Lee Lee Phillips Butte Public Library Montana USA
22:02 * sekjal = Ian Walls, ByWater Solutions
22:02 daniel Daniel Grobani, Samuel Merritt University, Oakland, CA
22:02 * wizzyrea liz rea, nekls
22:03 reed Reed Wade. Catalyst
22:03 ricardo joined #koha
22:03 gregglind gregg lind , Renesys, remote in minneapolis, (python, js)  other mathy stuff
22:04 slef MJ Ray, worker-owner, UK and elsewhere
22:04 chris @seen chris_n
22:04 munin chris: chris_n was last seen in #koha 1 hour, 44 minutes, and 7 seconds ago: * chris_n hands his potatoes to owen
22:05 ricardo Ricardo Dias Marques, author of installation guide of Koha 3.0 in openSUSE 11.0 and contributor/approver to Portuguese (pt-PT) translation, Portugal
22:05 douger joined #koha
22:05 chris first item on the agenda was to be 3.2 update, ill shelve that for now in the hope chris_n gets back before the meeting ends
22:05 chris ok, lets move on, anyone who hasnt introduced themselves, feel free to do so at anytime
22:06 chris #topic Update on 3.0
22:06 Topic for #koha is now Update on 3.0
22:06 chris hdl: over to you
22:06 hdl I am desperately late.
22:06 hdl An congratulates chris n for being on time
22:07 hdl But am still willing to release the last 3.0.7
22:07 ricardo hdl++  :)
22:07 chris do you have a date in mind for that? and that will be the end of life release for 3.0.x eh?
22:07 hdl Yes.
22:08 chris #action hdl to release 3.0.7 and post and end of life announcement
22:08 hdl But there should be some barckporting of 3.0 bugfixes and features over 3.2
22:08 hdl Since there have been some improvements there.
22:08 hdl For overdues.
22:08 chris #idea we should backport features from 3.0.x to master and then to 3.2.x where applicable
22:09 chris or forward port as the case may be :)
22:09 ricardo chris: Concerning the end of life of 3.0.x ... Couldn't a "door" be opened if someone wants to be the "Release Maintainer" for 3.0.x ? (and no, I'm NOT proposing myself for the job, eheh...)
22:09 chris ricardo: do you see any value in maintaining 2 stable branches?
22:10 chris all i can see is confusion resulting
22:10 chris and duplication of work
22:10 ricardo chris: There are always some people that prefer to stay in their version, and not "risk" an upgrade. So, I guess that I see value in that
22:10 hdl ricardo: the latest release of 3.0 would just to be a clean end.
22:11 hdl 3.2 is assumed to be stable enough.
22:11 chris yep, they can stay on 3.0.x but i dont think we should keep releasing versions to it
22:11 cait ricardo: I don't think it's a good thing to stay too long on an old version
22:11 chris having 3 places to fix bugs, just means 3 times as much work
22:11 hdl And actually is since there are more regula updates.
22:11 chris yup
22:11 ricardo chris: I'm only talking about ACCEPTING bugfixes for 3.0.x (not putting new featutres, of course)
22:12 ricardo s/featutres/features
22:12 sekjal Koha is a living entity... doesn't make sense to sit on one version forever (IMHO)
22:12 hdl taking bugfixes from master to 3.0 would be getting more and more difficult.
22:12 hdl It is already
22:12 jransom joined #koha
22:13 Lee hey Jo!
22:13 slef could we offer it for a group of users+developers to take up maintenance if they want? Just say that it's the end of koha-community's appointed RM because we think people should upgrade to 3.2 soon.
22:13 hdl But I can leave the door open...
22:13 ricardo slef++
22:13 jransom hiya all
22:13 pradhmoha joined #koha
22:13 chris slef: we could do that
22:13 slef I don't think anyone will, but they can adopt it if they want.
22:13 chris i would strongly recommend people upgrade though
22:14 hdl I would too
22:14 slef Yes, I think it's up to hdl to word his farewell as he thinks fit
22:14 chris so as long as we say 'i dont think this is a good idea, but if you really really want to, you can'
22:14 slef ;-)
22:14 chris *nod*
22:14 ricardo slef: Congrats and thanks on explaining my argument much better than I did (seriously!)  :)
22:15 chris anything more on 3.0.x?
22:15 hdl Problem would be to add foreign key on pushing to 3.0 maybe.
22:15 hdl chris not from me
22:16 chris #topic update on 3.4
22:16 Topic for #koha is now update on 3.4
22:16 chris Ok, work is progressing nicely
22:16 chris but we are developing a bit of a backlog of patches waiting signoff
22:16 pradhmoha left #koha
22:17 chris 167 currently
22:17 chris if you look at
22:17 chris there are 3 links at the top, that are handy
22:17 chris top one is patches waiting signoff/qa
22:17 chris 2nd one are patches signed off, waiting on me
22:18 chris and the 3rd one, are ones that have been pushed and need to be tested and closed
22:18 slef signoff/qa = signoff by QA?
22:18 chris 128 in the 3rd state
22:19 chris not really, signoff or qa
22:19 chris i meant, signed off by someone or rejected for qa reasons
22:20 slef top link, a lot seem to be in status NEW?
22:20 hdl this is quite confusing
22:20 chris status doesnt actually matter
22:20 slef I've been off, this is confusing me, I probably need to go reread some wiki page.
22:20 chris its patch sent, and patch status
22:20 hdl signed off is approval
22:21 hdl And qa would mean disapproval ?
22:21 chris take a look at 5423
22:21 chris sorry look at bug 5449
22:21 nengard signed off means someone has applied it successfully to their install of HEAD and has tested it
22:21 munin Bug[…]w_bug.cgi?id=5449 blocker, PATCH-Sent, ---, brice.sanchez, ASSIGNED, JSON malformed in Koha - Blocker with jQuery 1.4.x
22:21 chris see the patch status, on the right, is set to Needs Signoff
22:21 chris from that state
22:22 chris there are 3 ways it can go
22:22 chris signed off
22:22 ibot i think signed off is approval
22:22 chris does not apply
22:22 chris or failed qa
22:22 ibot somebody said failed qa was a new status in the pull down - we don't have one for does not apply yet :)
22:22 chris we currently have 167 sitting at the point of having a patch sent, and awaiting one of those three actions
22:22 chris does that make sense?
22:23 chris #link
22:24 hdl maybe a better separation between signedoff and rejected for qa would help.
22:24 chris how do you mean?
22:24 hdl you told that state 2 meant
22:24 hdl signedoff/qa
22:24 hdl that is
22:24 sekjal left #koha
22:24 chris its passed qa and been signed off
22:25 chris if its signed off state
22:25 slef #link[…]gn_off_on_patches
22:25 chris what i meant is there are 167 patches that need to be either rejected or signed off
22:26 hdl If signed off by someone who tested it then it has to pass qa am i right ?
22:26 chris small ones, im willing to sidestep signoff for, if i have to, but id rather that every patch has at least 2 sets of eyes
22:26 slef can someone who understands how that relates to branchable and bugs add a new first section "choose a patch to sign off" to that page, please?
22:26 cait send patch, attach to bug, change status to 'needs sign-off' - that's the status the patches in the long list are
22:27 chris hdl: often the signoff is good enough, if i dont think it is, i wont push it and note it still needs qa
22:27 chris what i dont think is feasible, is for colin to have to signoff on all those 167 (plus the new ones that come in everyday) by himself
22:28 hdl got it
22:29 hdl branches to merge are branches that passed qa ?
22:29 chris if the branch is awaiting_qa/something then no
22:29 chris if not then, yes
22:30 chris they are ones i need to test further myself
22:30 reed left #koha
22:31 chris branches to merge is a note for me, so i dont forget :)
22:31 chris the new statuses should help us track them, before we used to just have patch-sent for everything
22:31 chris so was hard to know what state the patch was in
22:31 hdl chris: all the 167 bugs that you talk about are not in branches are they ?
22:32 chris some might be, they will be noted on the bug if they are
22:32 chris for eg 5575
22:32 chris but the vast majority, no, they are a single patch
22:32 chris if they get signed off
22:32 chris i create a branch, test that branch
22:32 hdl but some are quite old...
22:32 chris merge to master
22:33 hdl the patch sent could need conflict solving
22:33 chris yes, some people will have to rebase their patches if they want them to apply, some nice people like owen have been rebasing peoples
22:33 chris yes, the person trying to sign off then has 2 options
22:33 chris work with the person who sent the patch to resolve the conflict
22:33 chris or set the status to patch wont apply, and note the conflicts
22:34 nengard owen would you mind writing up a short tutorial on what you're doing to rebase other people's patches? If I had instructions I'd gladly help out
22:34 chris[…]w_bug.cgi?id=4329
22:34 munin Bug 4329: enhancement, PATCH-Sent, ---, jwagner, ASSIGNED, OPAC search by shelving location option
22:34 * nengard notices that owen isn't here ...
22:34 chris heres one i prepared earlier
22:34 chris #action nengard to ask owen about a tutorial on rebasing others patches
22:34 hdl nengard: git am -3 is your friend
22:35 hdl it tries to merge and let you solve conflict if there is.
22:35 hdl And then you can use git mergetool
22:36 chris hokay
22:37 chris so the plan for january, lets get needs signoff under 100 :)
22:37 nengard :)
22:37 hdl why not...
22:37 chris jan 22 is the halfway mark for 3.4.0
22:37 hdl Lets have also some deep work done on persistence
22:37 * Brooke shudders.
22:38 chris early feb, we should be merging the template toolkit work, all things going well
22:38 chris i will give lots of warning for that though
22:39 chris thats all i have on 3.4.x ... any questions?
22:40 hdl I donot see the remove items branch in your plan.
22:40 hdl Is it in ?
22:40 chris does it have a bug number?
22:41 chris basically if its not attached to a bug that i can track, chances are i will miss it
22:41 chris its vitally important that everything has a bug, even if that just contains a link to the branch to pull
22:41 hdl What about a persistence meeting, we agreed that we could have one at the beginning of the year.
22:41 chris yep thats up to someone to organise, theres still time for things to get in, code freeze wont be until april
22:42 * gregglind perks up at persistence, which could mean lots of thigns
22:42 chris #action someone organise a meeting to talk about persistance
22:42 hdl[…]w_bug.cgi?id=5579
22:42 munin Bug 5579: enhancement, P5, ---, gmcharlt, NEW, Remove items from biblioitems.marcxml
22:43 chris if there are patches ready for that, set it to patch-sent and needs signoff and attach the patches or link to the branch
22:43 chris and then it will be in the queue
22:43 * nengard prefers patches attached (if it matters)
22:44 * jcamins agrees with nengard, at least when it's only one.
22:44 chris sometimes thats not feasible, if its 12 patches etc
22:44 nengard i understand
22:44 chris ok, we should push on, still have lots of agenda
22:44 chris no chris_n still, so will leave that
22:45 chris #action chris_n send an email to the devel list if there is anything we need to know about 3.2.x
22:45 chris #topic Koha Mission/Community Guidelines
22:45 Topic for #koha is now Koha Mission/Community Guidelines
22:46 chris nengard: you added this?
22:46 nengard Brooke gave us her three words summary last time
22:46 nengard I thought we should move ahead with that
22:46 nengard and use these two documents to start creating something a bit more official
22:46 chris i like the idea
22:46 nengard at kohacon10 people complained that we had no 'official' rules/guidelines/codes etc
22:47 jbicha joined #koha
22:47 nengard I know the ubuntu on is creative commons
22:47 nengard so we can take it and change Ubuntu to Koha and start with that if we want
22:47 nengard did anyone find the licensing on the Debian one?
22:48 chris easiest way would be to email them and ask id imagine, i think its under their web license
22:48 chris but i dont think we need to use their words
22:48 chris just their ideas
22:48 jbicha1 left #koha
22:49 nengard well as the one who ends up doing most of the writing, i'm all for copying and changing a few things to meet our needs
22:49 chris the debian one is commendably short :)
22:49 nengard instead of using it as a guide and writing it fresh
22:49 drotsk joined #koha
22:49 chris well, brooke would probably write it
22:49 chris eh brooke
22:49 * Brooke gulps.
22:49 chris :)
22:49 Brooke I will try.
22:49 nengard what's wrong with using what it says and editing it?
22:49 thd I would hardly expect the Debian document to not have a sufficiently free copyright license unless it is meant to serve as a legal document in which case any copyright license would be moot.
22:50 chris whats wrong with using its ideas and writing it in our words
22:50 nengard the work involved
22:51 hdl it would mean copy paste edit... Which is not a good software desing
22:51 thd Yes, writing is work.
22:51 hdl reuse templates is good
22:51 nengard okey dokey, if someone wants to write it great, i'm just trying to move us forward instead of waiting around for someone else to do the work :)
22:52 * Brooke might just be someone else.
22:52 nengard great
22:52 Brooke I'm just saying, it melted me pea sized brain when I looked at both side by side.
22:52 hdl nengard++ Brooke++
22:52 Brooke clearly I just need to try harder.
22:53 chris slef undoubtedly has some ideas around it also
22:53 wizzyrea brooke: i'm happy to help too
22:53 Brooke hooray, I'll need it.
22:53 wizzyrea (not that you'd need it, mind you)
22:53 wizzyrea ...or that
22:53 wizzyrea :)
22:53 Brooke collaboration > flying solo
22:53 wizzyrea ^^ truf
22:54 slef sorry, distracted by the cricket highlights... Bell century :-)
22:54 chris #action brooke with the help of wizzyrea and others to start on a draft code of conduct/ social contract thingy
22:54 Lee well I am with Nic- no sense in reinventing the wheel
22:54 slef Which debian one is being considered?
22:54 Lee Ubuntu and Debian are reliable sources
22:54 nengard links were in the agenda - which i don't have open :)
22:55 chris #link
22:55 Brooke
22:55 chris #link
22:55 chris if you do the #link bit brooke it formats nicely for the minutes
22:55 chris just fyi
22:55 slef Personally, I like the rules, but I suspect some things like the anti-mailbombing limit will be a bit harsh.
22:55 Brooke yessir.
22:55 slef Well, now, you see, the social contract isn't a code of conduct.
22:56 chris nope they are different beasts
22:56 slef So what are we trying to do here?
22:56 slef Both? One or the other?
22:56 nengard i think both
22:56 chris i think woudl be nice to have both
22:56 Brooke I think we're doing both
22:56 nengard plus a mission statement
22:56 Brooke and I suspect
22:56 nengard based on talks at kohacon
22:56 Brooke that one will morph into
22:56 chris mission statement = social contract
22:56 nengard i disagree
22:56 Brooke almost a vendory type affirmation
22:56 nengard your mission is what you want to achieve
22:57 nengard what's the point of the koha project
22:57 slef The social contract is what debian wants to achieve.
22:57 chris *nod*
22:57 nengard okay then
22:57 chris anyway maybe we should move this to its own discussion? and move on, on the agenda?
22:58 chris sounds like there are enough interested parties to make sure something is done
22:58 gregglind from working with other orgs, it has been useful to remember that these sorts of docs can be draft/iterate, and tend not to be as  complex as the ylook.
22:58 slef So, we're looking for both. Collect more examples by next meeting?
22:58 chris slef: that couldnt hurt
22:59 chris gregglind: good point
22:59 slef #link
23:01 chris ok, im gonna move on, people can continue this discussion post meeting
23:01 chris #topic Koha Newsletter automation
23:01 Topic for #koha is now Koha Newsletter automation
23:01 chris nengard: you're up again
23:01 nengard nope, that's slef
23:01 nengard he's trying to make my life easier :)
23:01 nengard but it's his ideas
23:02 chris i thought you wanted to reduce it to bi-monthly
23:02 nengard I do - and I am - slef thought he could make it stay monthly with some automatiion
23:02 slef ah hi... this is something I mentioned here a few weeks ago and we decided to bring it through a meeting
23:02 chris righto
23:03 slef to see if the change is worth it to have monthly newsletters continue
23:04 slef First question, do people prefer monthly newsletters?
23:04 daniel Do we want to ask who "people" are? Who the target audience is, or is imagined to be?
23:05 jransom and prefer over 'what'
23:05 slef nengard: who's the target audience?
23:05 drotsk left #koha
23:05 nengard all of you ... i thought :)
23:05 chris perhaps a straw pole on the koha list?
23:05 * Brooke consults her bylctionary for the definition of "is" again.
23:05 slef jransom: prefer over bi-monthly
23:05 Lee I read it
23:05 jransom i prefer it over weekly or quarterly
23:05 jransom i read it too
23:05 chris i like monthly
23:05 Lee but I like the daily on Twitter too
23:05 jransom its a good summary of everything i might have missed
23:05 Lee more spontaneous
23:05 chris if we shifted to the 24th of the month, you could have a 3.2.x release in each one ;)
23:06 nengard I don't mind doing it monthly if people start sending me content more - i'm not a fan of teeth pulling
23:06 nengard and nagging to get articles
23:06 nengard I'm find with shifting the date too
23:06 nengard fine with
23:06 chris i could write a regular article
23:06 druthb joined #koha
23:06 chris state of 3.4
23:06 jransom completely understyands nicole aversion to 'being the mother'
23:06 chris for each one
23:07 nengard good way to put it jo - i never ever want to be a mother
23:07 Lee is there away to gather stuff that isnt so time sensitive
23:07 nengard that's what slef was talking about
23:07 nengard a way to gather info automatically
23:07 slef So third question here... would contributors be willing to set up a blog feed or category just for articles?
23:07 Lee like posts to the Koha Daily...used in the newslatter
23:08 Lee letter
23:08 slef "the Koha Daily" = some site?
23:08 Lee I like the blog feed idea alot
23:08 Lee I would like to see RSS of some of our cohort on the newletter
23:09 Lee the Koha daily I believe is a twitter feed, isnt Nicole?
23:09 slef Maybe we should run two straw polls? One asking readers if they mind if it becomes bi-monthly; and one asking contributors if they'd set up a feed for contributions?
23:10 nengard slef there is the yahoo pipe already that does have a lot of content
23:10 nengard not newseltter specific, but koha specific
23:10 slef Or maybe the IRC cabal of me and nengard should just do whatever we think best? ;-)
23:10 Lee ++
23:11 slef nengard: mirrored at and IIRC
23:11 druthb left #koha
23:11 nengard slef i'm up for working with you :)
23:11 jransom cabal +1
23:11 magnus +1
23:11 nengard in the mean time everyone send me something for a january newsletter
23:11 * Brooke was promised initiate status for acquiring candles.
23:11 slef oh sorry, IRC cabal of me nengard and wizzyrea because we need stuff installed ;-)
23:11 nengard and we'll stay monthly as long as i can keep content coming
23:12 nengard i'll move publication to the 25th of the month instead of the 15th
23:12 nengard so you have until the 23rd to get me content
23:12 nengard 23rd your local time zone)
23:12 thd Waring about depending upon non-free Yahoo pipes.
23:13 Lee here is a tidbit- inspite of the disaster Butte migrated to 3.2.1
23:13 ricardo nengard: That's great... That way we can have the "Koha Monthly Newsletter Christmas Special" on the 25th of December!  ;-)
23:13 nengard thd - i'm not depending on it - i'm using it as a tool
23:13 nengard give me something else that works as well and i'll use it
23:13 thd :)
23:13 nengard ricard - the 25th of december issue will need to be done by the 15th of the month! :)
23:13 chris #action newsletter moved to 25th, slef and nengard to work on ideas to make it less onerous
23:14 slef nengard: just keep a backup of the feeds and I can throw up an aggregator if Yahoo Pipes ever goes wrong.
23:14 Lee okay I gotta go deal with movers... hugs to all
23:14 Brooke cheers
23:14 nengard slef - no prob!
23:14 ricardo Bye Lee!
23:14 chris #topic action points from last meeting
23:14 Topic for #koha is now action points from last meeting
23:14 Lee left #koha
23:14 chris #link[…]-12-08-10.00.html
23:14 chris meetings on rfc? still to be organised?
23:14 chris ditto the biblibre qa session?
23:15 Brooke the page is up, but no one stepped up
23:15 hdl paul will call for a meeting soon i think
23:15 hdl thanks Brooke for that
23:16 chris thd: you added the category for performance related rfc?
23:16 thd yes
23:16 chris tick
23:16 thd It has been there a month now.
23:17 thd I am typing the last words for a koha list message to restart the ballot process for copyright license  upgrade.
23:17 chris hdl did his task and that branch has been merged
23:17 chris number 6, is meetings again
23:17 hdl thd: can you post the link ?
23:17 chris excellent thd
23:17 chris thd++
23:18 thd hdl: I will post the link when I have sent the message.
23:18 chris and jwagner sent out the reminder email
23:18 hdl (fot the record)
23:18 hdl thd: link to the performance rfc
23:18 chris its a category hdl
23:19 hdl oh yes.
23:19 thd hdl: I could not really find a proper performance RFC but I applied the category to one RFC about circulation.
23:19 chris hokay
23:20 chris #topic time and date for next meeting
23:20 Topic for #koha is now time and date for next meeting
23:21 chris 3rd feb? 10:00 utc
23:22 slef Chinese New Year (Xin-Mao)
23:23 slef otherwise I think it's OK for me
23:23 hdl 2nd Feb would be better for me
23:23 slef Groundhog Day :)
23:23 chris 2nd is ok
23:23 slef 2nd also seems ok
23:23 chris any objections to the 2nd ... or the time?
23:23 hdl (it is a wednesday)
23:24 jcamins No objections from me.
23:24 cait +1
23:24 jcamins (though I can't promise I'll actually manage to wake up for it)
23:24 chris :)
23:25 hdl can't keep my eyes open...
23:25 chris yeah that will be me next meeting 11pm nz time
23:26 chris ok, if there are no objections
23:26 ricardo Is there already some agenda proposal for the next meeting?
23:26 chris #agreed next meeting is at 10:00UTC 2nd Feb
23:26 chris #action ricardo has just volunteered to set up the page for the meeting
23:26 jransom thanks everyone
23:26 ricardo chris--
23:27 ricardo ;-)
23:27 chris its easy, copy todays
23:27 chris
23:27 ricardo chris: LOL! OK, eheh...
23:27 chris and then change the dates, and blank of the agenda
23:27 magnus i'm on it actually
23:27 chris cool
23:28 chris who wants to send out the reminder ?
23:28 ricardo magnus: So, will you edit it? Great, thanks!
23:28 * ricardo sighs with great relief  ;-)
23:28 nengard left #koha
23:29 hdl good night
23:29 jransom left #koha
23:29 chris #action someone send out a reminder email about the meeting
23:29 ricardo Good night hdl. Sleep well !
23:29 chris #endmeeting
23:29 Topic for #koha is now Welcome to #koha - Koha 3.2.2 is now available. Next general meeting on 5 January 2011 22:00 UTC
23:29 munin Meeting ended Wed Jan  5 23:29:42 2011 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at . (v 0.1.4)
23:29 munin Minutes:[…]-01-05-22.01.html
23:29 munin Minutes (text):[…]1-01-05-22.01.txt
23:29 munin Log:  […]05-22.01.log.html
23:29 ricardo WOW
23:30 ricardo chris: You've "tamed" munin beatifully for the meetings :)
23:30 ricardo chris++
23:30 chris gmcharlt installed the module, i just drove it
23:30 ricardo chris: Nice... What's the name of the module?
23:30 chris meetbot
23:30 ricardo Meetbot
23:30 chris its what debian use
23:30 ricardo right
23:31 gmcharlt which reminds me, I need to get the logs shipped to
23:31 ricardo I just read it up there now
23:31 ricardo gmcharlt: Hi!  :)
23:31 chris[…]uary_2011#Minutes
23:31 chris done
23:31 chris thanks magnus
23:31 Colin left #koha
23:31 douger left #koha
23:32 chris i wonder who douger was
23:32 magnus we will probably never know...
23:33 ricardo magnus: Do I set up the wiki page for the next meeting or will you do / are you doing that ?
23:34 chris[…],_2_February_2011
23:34 magnus ricardo: it's done:[…],_2_February_2011 - please feel free to correct any mistakes, though...
23:34 ricardo magnus: Looks fine by me!  :)
23:34 ricardo AH!
23:35 ricardo Typo
23:35 ricardo Fixing it, eheh
23:35 ricardo "5 January 2010" ;-)
23:35 slef like that was a typing error...
23:35 Brooke I can still catch the end of topgear and the beginning of Hardball if I log.
23:35 Brooke cheers
23:35 Brooke left #koha
23:36 ricardo Fixed :)
23:36 magnus thanks ricardo
23:37 ricardo magnus: you're welcome :)
23:38 ricardo I'm sorry for not being active on the Koha project. Lots of work (at work) with  non-koha related stuff and some more obligations are keeping me busy :-(
23:38 magnus sounds all too familiar, ricardo... ;-)
23:39 ricardo My last "push" was on December ( Approving/fixing +/- 250 strings for the Portuguese "pt-PT" translation for Koha 3.2)
23:39 slef amen
23:39 ricardo But I'm guessing I'll only be able to resume work on that near the end of this month  :-(
23:39 magnus better late than never :-)
23:40 ricardo magnus: Thanks for the kind words :)
23:40 ricardo slef: Thank you also!
23:41 * magnus should be asleep now...
23:41 slef I'm being kept busy with strange koha questions, as well as non-koha work (surge of wordpress)
23:41 magnus left #koha
23:41 daniel left #koha
23:41 gregglind so, I mostly do python (though I know perl as well) and js.  What's most useful to tackle?
23:42 chris how well do you know koha?
23:42 gregglind and my background is stats, fwiw.
23:42 slef Write a review of django-ils ;-)
23:42 gregglind not terribly well yet.
23:42 gregglind Is there such a thing?
23:42 slef help, we're drowning in statisticians
23:42 chris you might want to look at any of the bugs that involve js
23:42 slef gregglind: yes. I think it's on github somewhere.
23:43 ricardo slef: LOL!
23:43 gregglind yeah, well, I have good cs background as well, and lots of mlis partners so I'm not totally subject-idiotic
23:43 ricardo slef: I don't believe that. Show me the numbers that prove it!  ;-)
23:43 slef gregglind: it's on my to-look-at list. I'll get to it next month :-/
23:43 gregglind #link
23:44 slef not a meeting, don't need #link to put it in the minutes
23:44 gregglind fair enough
23:44 jcamins Okay, time for me to pack some more.
23:44 * ricardo is googling for "MLIS" and finding the "Master of Library and Information Science" page in Wikipedia. Nice...
23:44 jcamins Good night, #koha
23:44 jcamins is now known as jcamins_a
23:44 ricardo jcamins: Good night (oops... too late)
23:45 slef gregglind: that's the thing, though. I was only kidding about writing a review.
23:45 gregglind I hear it though, and I don't really know the competitive space that well! I do know librarians, and I met nicole a while back, yada yada
23:46 chris id pick a bug you think you can fix, and have a crack :)
23:47 chris there are a few related to js
23:47 cait getting late - bye all :)
23:47 slef ok, I'm going to watch a film, then zzz
23:47 chris cya cait
23:47 slef cait: fibber... it's already late there. night!
23:47 gregglind fair enough!  Any special hints on osx?  I am also very interested in testng
23:47 slef gregglind: run away? ;-)
23:47 chris use virtualbox
23:47 gregglind I am sure I can find something that is niggling me
23:48 cait left #koha
23:48 chris and install debian squeeze in it, and make your life a million times easier :)
23:48 slef gregglind: virtualbox would be good... I used fink and it didn't really work right... others have used macports and reported better success
23:48 chris virtual machine is handy
23:48 chris you just burn it down and start again if you mess soemthing up
23:49 gregglind I tend to like homebrew.  does koha need a recipe?  and I will have to poke virtualbox!
23:49 gregglind anyway, I am sure there is lots of low-hanging fruit :)
23:49 robin http://blog.triumphovermadness[…]-environment.html <-- gregglind
23:50 slef robin: I thought that moved to the wiki?
23:50 gregglind robin ++
23:50 robin oh, possibly. I just had it open in my browser already.
23:50 slef gregglind: but read the wiki. There's lots there.
23:50 slef now I'm really gone :-)
23:51 gregglind there is a lot there :)  a little too a lot, thus my asking for entry points!
23:51 ricardo Bye "statistician slef"! ;-) Take care
23:51 ronald left #koha
23:51 ronald joined #koha

| Channels | #koha index | Today | | Search | Google Search | Plain-Text | plain, newest first | summary